Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Withheld

Real Name Withheld   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ruffiana
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 10, 2003, 16:04
Total Comments 894 (Graduate)
User ID 17414

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Trek Deep Space Nine MMOG Announced
10. Re: Star Trek Deep Space Nine MMOG Announced Sep 28, 2010, 13:28 Ruffiana

DS9 was like the least casual of Star Trek series.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Kotick vs. Schafer, Part 4
1. Re: Kotick vs. Schafer, Part 4 Sep 27, 2010, 18:23 Ruffiana

Mauricio: You can't come back with a comeback after eight seconds. You got three seconds. Five, tops. It's called a quip, not a sloooowwwwp.  

News Comments > EA Returns Fire at Activision
5. Re: EA Returns Fire at Activision Sep 27, 2010, 18:19 Ruffiana

Really EA...you want to play the 'litigation' card so soon?  

News Comments > Kotick vs. Schafer, Part 3
12. Re: Kotick vs. Schafer, Part 3 Sep 27, 2010, 14:58 Ruffiana

Kotick is apparently not only a dick, but also a prick, a wanker, and a huge penis.

Why is Tim Schafer so fixated on cock? Can he not come up with other derogatory terms for Kotick? How about soulless ass-clown?

News Comments > GOG.com Re-launch Tomorrow [Updated]
76. Re: GOG.com Re-launch Tomorrow [Updated] Sep 22, 2010, 17:53 Ruffiana

As I said the other day, I don't use this service...but I can see why people who have bought games from them would be upset. This whole PR stunt was a major misfire, imo. With all of the recent news of companies shutting down, the general recession, collapse of credit default swaps, rampant forclosures...now is not the time to be making light of any situation where you take a customer's money and then pretend to be going out of business leaving them without any access to the things they paid for.  

News Comments > Inception Game Plans
3. Re: Inception Game Plans Sep 21, 2010, 18:21 Ruffiana

It'll a crappy game within a crappy game within a crappy game within crappy game...etc  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
6. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 21, 2010, 17:43 Ruffiana

You know what, send me home and make me think about traffic all night and I guarantee I'll be much more agressive then I would if I spent that time thinking about playing Dead Rising.

Agression isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's just the flip-side of defensive. It's a very useful trait to have in pretty much any sort of competetive endeavor, sport, game, business, etc.

Anyone else really wondering how one goes about measuring agression?

News Comments > Planet Michael MMOG Announced
3. Re: Planet Michael MMOG Announced Sep 21, 2010, 11:12 Ruffiana

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo!
*grabs crotch*

News Comments > Activison Considering Selling Cut-Scene Movies
20. Re: Activison Considering Selling Cut-Scene Movies Sep 16, 2010, 22:33 Ruffiana

My guess is unlike film studios that are really stuck with a model that goes through theatrical distribution and takes a signification amount of the profit away

You guess? You guess wrong. The vast majority of box office ticket sales goes to the film studios, not the theaters. You ever wonder why popcorn and hot dogs are so damn expensive...that's the theater's bread and butter.

Secondly, in what shape or form are the movies for Starcraft II a linear narrative that would make any sense outside of the context of the game.

Raynor: (slurring with tumbler of wiskey in hand) Let's gear up to go fight this major battle!
*end scene*
Raynor: (grimy and slightly beat up) Well, that battle sure was epic!

Yeah, sounds fucking phenomenal.

Thirdly, hour or hour and a half of cinematics in Starcraft II? More like 30 or 40 minutes. For that you think you can justify a $20-$30 price point compared to a 90 minute film? I didn't pay that much to go see Avatar, on the IMax, in 3D.

Holy fuck, my douchebag meter just broke. Fucking delusional. Please, do go forward with this plan so that it can fail dismally and perhaps Activision will replace you with a human being who has a soul and half a brain.

News Comments > ABP Closing
48. Re: ABP Closing Sep 16, 2010, 17:39 Ruffiana

I've never bought a game with the assumption that I'm going to get more than 20-30 hours of entertainment out of it. At that price, it's still a better bargain than a movie. There have been plenty of great games that I thoroughly enjoyed playing, but have never replayed them.

Even Champions Online, which I bought on launch day, played for two weeks, and then cancelled...I got about that much time out of it and judged it as a fairly unsatisfying game experience. I was no more or less dissapointed for it being an MMO than the single-player games I've bought, played, and didn't really enjoy.

Whether it's a fire and forget single-player game or an MMO promissing a lifetime of gameplay doesn't make much difference to me. If it keeps me entertained for X amount of time for Y amount of $$$s, then whatever.

News Comments > Valve on Piracy and Episode 3
16. Re: Valve on Piracy and Episode 3 Sep 16, 2010, 01:40 Ruffiana

1. He can't say because it is a surprise that it will be boxed with Portal 2.

Dare I dream of a "Purple Box"?

News Comments > Civilization V Live Video Stream Today
10. Re: geeze Sep 13, 2010, 13:24 Ruffiana

Fighting Piracy is like trying to fight capitalism

Capitalism has a glass jaw.

News Comments > Oblivion Film TM
3. Re: Oblivion Film TM Sep 13, 2010, 11:06 Ruffiana

Pretty much every half-successful game IP has been optioned for a motion picture...almost none of them will ever see the light of day.  

News Comments > PC Mass Effect DLC Pulled
36. Re: PC Mass Effect DLC Pulled Sep 8, 2010, 18:51 Ruffiana

A 1.6 Gig package makes everything take longer

That's what she said.

News Comments > PC Mass Effect DLC Pulled
35. Re: PC Mass Effect DLC Pulled Sep 8, 2010, 18:51 Ruffiana

I had no idea that zeros took up so much filespace, but I guess it makes sense...they are big and round compared to 1s. In fact, I bet if more games were coded with 1s they'd probably still fit on CDs and be hella quick to download.  

News Comments > Jack Thompson vs Medal of Honor
22. Re: Jack Thompson vs Medal of Honor Sep 8, 2010, 13:42 Ruffiana

When the fuck did I stumble into a time machine! Shouldn't there be warning signs near those things? "Warning: Time Machine ahead!" Why isn't Jack Thompson on a crusade to make sure there are warning signs clearly visible near time machines to prevent people from accidentally stumbling into them and being transporter back in time.

On the other hand, I am looking forward to waiting for Red Dead Redemption again. I hear that in that game you'll be able to kidnap a woman, hog-tie her, leave her on the railroad tracks, and you even get an achievement for watching a train turn her into bloody gibs. I'm sure my 5 year old son will think that's hilarious.

This comment was edited on Sep 8, 2010, 13:48.

News Comments > On the DNF Revival
31. Re: On the DNF Revival Sep 6, 2010, 01:37 Ruffiana

Holy crap, how self-serving is this guy? Me, me, I, I, I...

You'd rather someone relating a personal story do so in 3rd person...or perhaps using the royal we?

News Comments > Op Ed
50. Re: Op Ed Aug 27, 2010, 21:18 Ruffiana

@Ars, Tycho, Ledesma, Nin, Beamer, & Jerykk. Stinging Velvet has it right. Used sales create INCREASED new sales, not the other way around. If we could magically stop used sales altogether tomorrow, we'd see new sales decrease, not increase. There are so many new sales made b/c people are expecting to sell the games when they are done. IF they weren't able to do this, they wouldn't buy them.

It may increase initial sales (this is purely a speculative point) but it certainly impacts additional sales from people who have the money to buy a new game, but opt instead to buy a used copy that's now available for $5 less. It's arguable that you'd see less retail activity in total, fewer total copies of games sold and re-sold, but also arguable that the total revenue going to publishers and developers would be greater.

News Comments > Op Ed
49. Re: Ars Technica - Buying used games Aug 27, 2010, 20:54 Ruffiana

When I rent a movie does the movie director gets paid for my rental copy...

Actually, yeah. They do.

The standard business model for video rental stores was that they would pay a large flat fee per video, approximately US$65, and have unlimited rentals for the lifetime of the cassette itself. Sumner Redstone, whose Viacom conglomerate then owned Blockbuster, personally pioneered a new revenue-sharing arrangement for video, in the mid-1990s. Blockbuster obtained videos for little cost and kept 60 percent rental fee, paying the other 40 percent to the studio, and reporting rental information through Rentrak. What Blockbuster got out of the deal, besides a lower initial price, was that movies were not available for sale during an initial release period, at least at an affordable price point - customers either had to rent, wait, or buy the film on tape at the much higher MSRP targeted at other rental chains and film enthusiasts, at that time then between $70$100 before the end of the initial release period.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blockbuster_Inc.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rentrak

This comment was edited on Aug 27, 2010, 21:05.

894 Comments. 45 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo