Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Withheld

Real Name Withheld   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ruffiana
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 10, 2003, 16:04
Total Comments 894 (Graduate)
User ID 17414

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Footage, Preorder Bonus
53. Re: Battlefield 3 Footage, Preorder Bonus Feb 23, 2011, 14:16 Ruffiana

Beamer wrote on Feb 23, 2011, 10:46:
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't it all start with Modern Warfare 2???

Only if you've been a gamer less than 5 years.

"Big" games have often been $60. Not all, but some. Doom 3 was a $60 game. If I think back I'm pretty sure Civ may have been $70 or $80 when I got it, but that may have also been the store I picked it up at.

In the good old days, the dedicated retailers like Electronic Boutique would usually tack on their own $10-$20 dollars to the price of a new game.

Definitely remember some games selling in the $60-$70 range as far back as the mid 80s. It's hardly a new trend, and considering inflation and the astronomical increase in development budgets for one of these modern, cutting-edge, AAA titles...it's really not a bad deal for gamers.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > NPD: 5% Industry Decline
28. Re: NPD: 5% Industry Decline Feb 18, 2011, 13:30 Ruffiana

Not a single PC exclusive title on that list. Wonder why publishers keep targetting the consoel market?  

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever and Steamworks
45. Re: Duke Nukem Forever and Steamworks Feb 15, 2011, 19:59 Ruffiana

DrEvil wrote on Feb 15, 2011, 18:54:
Draugr wrote on Feb 15, 2011, 18:26:
Narf2029 wrote on Feb 15, 2011, 17:29:
Considering that BioWare didn't make a cent off of your used purchase, I don't think they give a shit about your thanks. Especially since they're part of EA now.

This. by buying second hand you've given them as much money as someone who stole the game.

By the logic, I assume you are implying libraries are a hive of villainy and scum.

There's arguably more of social benefit to the sharing of literature and promotion of reading for groups of people who may not have the disposable income to purchase books for themselves. Much harder to make a compelling arguement for similiar social benefits of access to cheaper/free video games.

Also, libraries pay more for a book than retail...just as video rentals services pay more for a copy of a movie they intend to rent out. It's not enough to offset the potential loses of retail sales, but generally people who really enjoy books tend to buy a copy of said book, hold on to it for decades, and periodically re-read it.

Finally, last time I checked a book does not typically require a multi-million dollar investment and teams of hundreds to birth. So the risk/reward ratio from a business perspective is skewed very differently. Regardless of all that, the print media industry still isn't doing terribly well these days. A number of publishers have folded, and the rest are investing heavily in digital media formats. Not to say that's the fault of libraries, but it is to say that what is available to borrow from libraries is going to be completely different in the near future.

Amusingly enough, if you do a bit of digging around on the web for discussions about libraries and e-books, and you'll find the same sort of divisive nature from people as you do concerning restrictions on games.

39. Re: Duke Nukem Forever and Steamworks Feb 15, 2011, 18:56 Ruffiana

entr0py wrote on Feb 15, 2011, 17:56:
Ruffiana wrote on Feb 15, 2011, 16:57:
I'd like to be able to sell my movie tickets when I'm done with them as well...but those fuckers always rip them in half.

The only sensible movie analogy you could make is buying a DVD at full price that you can never resell, lend, or give away. Which would rightly piss off any customer.

If you want to compare it to a movie ticket, I guess tokens at an arcade are the closest analogy.

Game sales are their first point of sale. Movie theaters and the box office are a movie's first point of sale. If you really want to compare DVD sales to the sales of games, then you would need to be in a world where movie theaters, pay-per-view, premium movie channels, package deals with networks, and the many other ways of monetizing a film before it is every packaged up on a shiny plastic disc and offered directly to customers did not exist...just as they do not exist for games.

Don't confuse the distribution method and physical media being similiar for being the exact same kind of product and needing the same kind of revenue from sales.

21. Re: Duke Nukem Forever and Steamworks Feb 15, 2011, 16:57 Ruffiana

Techie714 wrote on Feb 15, 2011, 16:36:
I guess I'm the odd man out on this one, I HATE when they do shit like this. I realize that many PC games lose value quickly & are not worth nearly as much as when they first hit market but I like to sell my games when I'm finished with them. They did this same shit with Civ V and it sucks. I enjoyed Civ V and no longer play it, I'd love to sell it but cant.....Such BS IMO. This way of business COMPLETELY wipes out the second hand market. Well this would have been a day one purchase for me, but now I'll wait till December for the big sales...

I'd like to be able to sell my movie tickets when I'm done with them as well...but those fuckers always rip them in half.

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Feb 10, 2011, 17:02 Ruffiana

Yeah, there's never unrealistic stylization for male characters in video games. Please.

Someone clearly missed the point of the camera angles forcing the player to view the Miranda in the way that the way the player character would view that character. Miranda is often framed as a piece of meat, because she is genetically engineered to be the perfect hot piece of ass...and any male interacting with her is sometimtes going to fall prey to their baser instincts and view her as such.

Every film, TV show, magazine, or any sort of visual media relies heavily on hyper-reality and outright fantasy...games are no different in this respect.

News Comments > True Crime and Guitar Hero Cancelled
12. Re: True Crime and Guitar Hero Cancelled Feb 9, 2011, 19:54 Ruffiana

So comforting to know as a developer that when times are good, and your game's a hit, you can expect the publisher to screw you for royalties and pidgenhole you into working on a franchise in perpituity. When times are bad, and the franchise is starting to wane, you can expect them to shit-can you.  

News Comments > Tech 5 Open Source Clarification
3. Re: Tech 5 Open Source Clarification Feb 2, 2011, 20:42 Ruffiana

Parias wrote on Feb 2, 2011, 18:51:
"John Carmack made comments at QuakeCon 2007 saying Tech 5 would be released as open source a few into its life (like their previous game engines)...."

A few what into its life - hours? Days? Weeks? Centuries?

That was a direct quote...it's just how he talks.

News Comments > EA Financials, New Shooter Teased
4. Re: EA Financials, New Shooter Teased Feb 1, 2011, 21:20 Ruffiana

Cutter wrote on Feb 1, 2011, 20:32:
EA keeps lowering itself. While I'm sure garbage like Bulletstorm will make them money they shouldn't be proud in creating garbage for the lowest common denominator of the lazy and the stupid. EA is proof positive they need to be regulated by government because they won't do it themselves.

You really think the government should step in and force a publisher to pander to the self-proclaimed elite hardcore minority, rather than allow them to make whatever choices they want to appeal to the broadest market possible?

News Comments > Op Ed
47. Re: Op Ed Feb 1, 2011, 21:12 Ruffiana

Jdrez wrote on Feb 1, 2011, 19:50:
The author's argument is invalidated by the fact that he thinks Dead Space games count as quality.

Haven't played the new one yet, but I quite enjoyed the first.

News Comments > Op Ed
44. Re: Op Ed Feb 1, 2011, 19:09 Ruffiana

Shineyguy wrote on Feb 1, 2011, 18:43:
Third... Do I have a third point? Oh yeah, third; as long as I enjoy the experience, $60 is totally worth the price to me. I don't make a lot of money, but I have enough to spend on the games that catch my eye, and I'm thankful for that. Whether the game is $50 or $60, 4, 6, 8 or more hours, if it delivers an experience that gets me talking about it with my friends, then it's worth it.

I do expect a certain amount of play-time from a $60 game. But, if it's a really good game, then that 8 hour playthrough will undoubtedly translate into multiple playthroughs.

If it's a crappy game, I don't care how many hours it takes to complete...I'll never finish it anyway. And if I walk away after 20 hours feeling meh about it, then it's simply not a better game or a better value.

Would much rather have 8 hours of awesome than the mandatory 40-60 hours of blah.

News Comments > Op Ed
43. Re: Op Ed Feb 1, 2011, 18:58 Ruffiana

You know what I'm tired of? I'm tired of hearing about people complaining about what other people complain about.

Which I guess now includes me.

News Comments > DC Universe Online SOE's "Fastest Selling Game Ever"
21. Re: DC Universe Online SOE's Jan 24, 2011, 14:30 Ruffiana

B - the game has little depth or substance, most people will move on after a few months. It is a very transitory MMO.

Not in defense of SOE, but please tell me what game, MMO or not, has enough depth and susbstance that I wouldn't get bored from playing it for a few hours a day over a few months.

News Comments > Mythos Closed Beta Nears
2. Re: Mythos Closed Beta Nears Jan 24, 2011, 12:53 Ruffiana

kxmode wrote on Jan 24, 2011, 12:37:
Yay. Moar MMOs...

That's how I feel about shooters.

News Comments > Cryptic Lifetime Subs Sale
9. Re: Cryptic Lifetime Subs Sale Jan 20, 2011, 14:07 Ruffiana

While the game is free-to-play, subscriptions give you access to premium content that you would normally have to pay extra for. Lifetime subs give you those things in perpituity at a discounted rate.  

News Comments > 2010 Game Sales Down
42. Re: 2010 Game Sales Down Jan 14, 2011, 17:57 Ruffiana

You can't argue with ASeven's position. If it happens, he was right. If it doesn't happen, he's still right and it just hasn't happened yet.  

News Comments > Free Champions Online This Month
1. Re: Free Champions Online This Month Jan 12, 2011, 11:01 Ruffiana

City of Hereos will be following suit by the end of the year.  

News Comments > EA Co-publishing The Secret World
3. Re: EA Co-publishing The Secret World Jan 10, 2011, 12:31 Ruffiana

Sounds like a dream working on an MMO for two publishers.  

News Comments > Ubisoft Confirms DRM Changes
8. Re: Ubisoft Confirms DRM Changes Jan 4, 2011, 21:01 Ruffiana

That tells me they don't want your money.

Really? Cause it tells me the vast majority of people who buy games don't know or don't care about DRM.

News Comments > Project Blackout Announced
4. Re: Project Blackout Announced Nov 20, 2010, 20:40 Ruffiana

[VG]Reagle wrote on Nov 20, 2010, 17:59:
Stupid games have stupid plots. Its a fps do we really need to know all this crap about a supposed plot? How about telling how the freaking game play is going to be?

Just going on on a limb here, but my guess would be that you use the mouse to move some sort of targetting reticle around on the screen while simultaneously using a combination of keys to navigate and move around a virtual environemt, and then rapidly press the mouse button until what you're aiming at dies.

894 Comments. 45 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo