Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Withheld

Real Name Withheld   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ruffiana
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 10, 2003, 16:04
Total Comments 894 (Graduate)
User ID 17414

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Volition Founder Departing
8. Re: Volition Founder Departing Apr 28, 2011, 22:43 Ruffiana

I pray that I can find the strength and courage to go on.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > New Civilization V DLC Tuesday
1. Re: New Civilization V DLC Tuesday Apr 27, 2011, 14:46 Ruffiana

"to further enhance your Civilization V experience"

Is there any other way to read this other than that smooth feminine computer voice-over from films about distopian futures?
(Google has failed to provide examples for me. Bad Google!)

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 27, 2011, 13:43 Ruffiana

Little known fact. The hackers actually stole the PSN network as well. That's why Sony won't bring it back online...they no longer have it.  

News Comments > Jurassic Park: The Game Delayed
6. Re: Jurassic Park: The Game Delayed Apr 26, 2011, 21:34 Ruffiana

There must be some kind of clever joke that could be made about ressurecting an 18 year old movie about ressurecting 65 million year old dinosaurs...but fuck it, I'm tired today  

News Comments > StarCraft II Ban Laser Strikes
22. Re: StarCraft II Ban Laser Strikes Apr 26, 2011, 14:07 Ruffiana

Creston wrote on Apr 26, 2011, 11:59:
No, that's not acceptable punishment. Cheating isn't a CRIME. You have in no way, shape or form been physically or monetarily HURT by losing to a cheater. Without any hurt, why does the offending party need to lose 60 bucks in damages?

Taking away SP access is a bunch of horseshit, and it's only in the fucking gaming industry where such a thing exists.

I find this statement interesting, because what you're implying is that neither the physical media that a game is distributed on nor the previous experience of playing the game has any monetary value whatsoever. All of the value of a game exists solely in potential future access to a game and never diminishes in over time.

This comment was edited on Apr 26, 2011, 14:13.

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever Interview
44. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Interview Apr 25, 2011, 20:57 Ruffiana

Verno wrote on Apr 25, 2011, 14:33:
Ask people who are in prison for doing things like that in real life what their favorite games are. That would be a good study. Oh Wait someone already did:

And I'll ask the millions of people not in prison for doing things that they saw in videogames while we're at it too Jester

Or we could talk to all of the murderers, theives, rapists, and criminals throughout human history prior to the 1970s.

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever Interview
41. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Interview Apr 25, 2011, 19:55 Ruffiana

Matshock wrote on Apr 25, 2011, 14:20:
StingingVelvet wrote on Apr 25, 2011, 14:04:
Matshock wrote on Apr 25, 2011, 12:57:
Back off the woman beating, it's not cool. It wasn't cool in the GTA series either- it's a stain on this industry.

A slap on the ass is "woman beating?" Damn, I guess I abuse my wife on a daily basis then, and oddly she enjoys it.

In any case the large amount of people using this game to try and feel superior to others is amusing. Stand tall you moral beacons, show us the right path.

Money talks and BS walks, to date:

1. Cancelled a preorder for DNF a couple weeks ago.

2. DID NOT BUY COD MW2 or BO

3. DID NOT BUY GTA 2, 3, 4, ever again

etc., etc...

Like mentioned, shock jock crap is a cheap substitue for gameplay. If that's the way things are going to be then I need a new hobby.

In a franchise known for being full of virtual bimbos and whose portrayal of women runs as deep as being able to throw wads of cash in their face while they jiggle their tits at you. Smacking these digital whores on the fanny was the bit of sexual objectication that prompted you to cancel your pre-order?

I admire your conviction to adhere to the 'look, but don't touch' code of ethical treatment of women, the gold standard of most strip clubs I believe.

Further, I'm sure your staunch refusal to purchase Modern Warefare 2, Black Ops, or any of the GTA series will also lead to radical changes in how these games are made...how else will they get your invaluable business back?

This comment was edited on Apr 25, 2011, 21:11.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Apr 22, 2011, 18:32 Ruffiana

Can you tease a teaser? Doesn't that cause the space-time continuim to collapse or something?  

News Comments > FTC's Secret Shopper Results
3. Re: FTC's Secret Shopper Results Apr 20, 2011, 23:49 Ruffiana

Dev wrote on Apr 20, 2011, 23:44:
And yet, all the stories in the news are about the video games going to minors, and crazy gov reps are continually trying to pass unconstitutional laws about them.

It's not the games they're worried about, it's the murder-simulators.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Screenshots
6. Re: Mass Effect 3 Screenshots Apr 20, 2011, 23:46 Ruffiana

I love Mass Effect, but...*yawn*  

News Comments > THQ: Layoffs "Just Business"
5. Re: THQ: Layoffs "Just Business" Apr 12, 2011, 12:58 Ruffiana

Maybe after a few years of dealing with guilds and unions they would no longer want to be like the movie or TV industry.  

News Comments > 15 Hours of RAGE?
29. Re: 15 Hours of RAGE? Apr 7, 2011, 21:44 Ruffiana

Jedi Master wrote on Apr 6, 2011, 23:02:
So, if you go to see a movie, it's really good, and it ends in 30 mins, that's acceptable to you?

As the average movie is 120 minutes long, by your math, you expect all games to be 60 hours long in order to be "acceptable".

Average ticket price is ~$8.00 now, so if a game can deliver over 7.5 hours of entertainment, then it's on par with a movie. So a 15 hour game is equivalent to a 4 hour movie...as far as hours of entertainment per dollar goes.

I'm generally satisfied with a game that's 15-20 hours long. Less if it's really good and/or re-playable. I actually prefer a game with a fairly short core and abanduance of good, but optional side-content.

This comment was edited on Apr 7, 2011, 22:16.

News Comments > King of Kings 3: Dragon God Resurrection This Month
2. Re: King of Kings 3: Dragon God Resurrection This Month Apr 7, 2011, 20:36 Ruffiana

I thought that said King of Kongs. Sheesh. I need more sleep

Me too. I read it as King Kong 3 and whas halfway down the page before my brain went 'Wait...King Kong 3???'

News Comments > THQ Layoffs
1. Re: THQ Layoffs Mar 31, 2011, 21:58 Ruffiana

'which is a relatively common occurrence in the game development industry'...at the end of the fiscal year in order to make our annual reports look as good as possible for our investors.

http://www.bluesnews.com/s/120263/thq-blocked-from-ubi-poaching

News Comments > NetDevil Layoffs?
7. Re: NetDevil Layoffs? Mar 24, 2011, 18:06 Ruffiana

Cutter wrote on Feb 24, 2011, 10:19:
A lot of talented people? Well wouldn't their games be successes making a lot of money which would ensure them not being laid off?

Financial success of a game has so very little to do with the talent of people working on them. Success of a development studio even less so.

News Comments > Op Ed
22. Re: Op Ed Mar 18, 2011, 15:47 Ruffiana

headkase wrote on Mar 18, 2011, 11:22:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascism

"Fascists seek to organize a nation according to corporatist perspectives, values, and systems, including the political system and the economy."

Baa.

I don't think "corporatist" is necessiarly the same as "corporations" in the sense you implied. And if you're going to quote to support your claim, explain how this:

They advocate the creation of a totalitarian single-party state that seeks the mass mobilization of a nation and the creation of an ideal "new man" to form a governing elite through indoctrination, physical education, and family policy including eugenics.[4]

Hand any relation to the oil industry, big tobacco, pharmecueticals, etc.

I won't dispute that corporations have way too much influence in our current politcal environement, but labeling them as proponents of facism is innacurate and a bit hyperbolic.

This comment was edited on Mar 18, 2011, 16:01.

News Comments > WBIE Makes Unreal Commitment
5. Re: WBIE Makes Unreal Commitment Mar 17, 2011, 17:24 Ruffiana

I think it's safe to predict the trademark 'progressive loading of textures' that's so signature to the Unreal engine, but that's really about the only guarantee.

That, and hearing the programmers on the project bitch about it.

News Comments > Earthquake Takes FINAL FANTASY MMOGs Offline
2. Re: Earthquake Takes FINAL FANTASY MMOGs Offline Mar 14, 2011, 13:31 Ruffiana

I'm sure that on some forums somewhere, there are people bitching about Square really doing this out of pure greed or laziness.  

News Comments > Bungie's MMOG Confirmed
12. Re: Bungie's MMOG Confirmed Mar 5, 2011, 13:38 Ruffiana

Cutter wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 23:27:
I can't ever see a MMOFPS succeeding - with a monthly fee - because people get bored too quickly to justify that expense. Unless it's maybe like $5 a month, but too many games and services all ask for a standard rate - which is probably why so many of them utterly fail. I still don't understand why they don't scale it from F2P, $5, $10, and $15 per month. Most F2P doesn't include near enough to make it worth while and what they charge for stuff in their stores is ridiculously overpriced so it generally comes down to paying the full monthly or not playing at all. Now if they were to scale it in tiers you'd see a lot more people willing to drop $5 and/or $10 on a few games at the same time.

Anyway, hopefully they've finally realized that Pimps at Sea is long overdue!

If you've been following the news, most MMOs are converting to a 'free-to-play' model...the monthly sub is going the way of the dodo. That's not because it's a better deal for gamers, it's because people will spend 3-4 times as much for pretty much the same content if that content is sold piecemeal.

I don't think it's safe to assume if a game is labled as 'massively multiplayer' (a term that's almost completely lost any real meaning) game that there will must be some kind of recurring subscription. The number of players in a modern multiplayer game is now more bottlenecked by the actual rendering of those avatars on a client than bandwitdth, networking issues, or server hardware.

Besides, Halo has always been an online MP FPS with a monthly fee...it was just a fee going to Microsoft for XBox Live access.

This comment was edited on Mar 5, 2011, 13:46.

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Feb 25, 2011, 20:54 Ruffiana

Arguably...that's over half of what Dragon's Lair was all about:
[url=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUZsWwLMk9w[/url]

894 Comments. 45 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo