Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Withheld

Real Name Withheld   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ruffiana
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 10, 2003, 16:04
Total Comments 894 (Graduate)
User ID 17414

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > First Skyrim DLCs Timed Xbox 360 Exclusives
34. Re: First Skyrim DLCs Timed Xbox 360 Exclusives Aug 26, 2011, 18:06 Ruffiana

Beamer wrote on Aug 26, 2011, 17:03:
It is one thing to churn out quick DLC content post release of a game, but it is sickening to see companies not even attempt to hide the fact they are excluding content months in advance just to make some extra cash at the consumer's expense.

They're not excluding!

In a game like Skyrim a billion ideas come up. Some of those ideas get cut because they suck. Other ideas get cut because they simply don't have enough time or money. With DLC, they can revisit those ideas at a later date. So, when sitting in a project meeting and realizing they need to take something out, rather than going through the heart-wrenching process of deciding what audiences never need to see they can instead just say "well, we'll add this later on."

It's not "excluding," it's giving you something that you wouldn't have seen otherwise.
I swear, it's like some of you think that these companies either have infinite budgets and infinite time or you think they're exactly perfect with their time planning and never have to drop features and content as they move closer to release.

Speaking as a developer, things that are cut before going into beta--or worse submitting for concole TRC--are prime candidates for future DLC.

While the release candidate is going through all of the testing and bug-fixing, content creation can continue on things all that stuff seperately from the game without endangering the release date as it's not part of the game game. That content can be finished, tested, and certified ready for release shortly after launch or even on day one.

No problem with DLC here. Like games, you should take a few minutes to seek out reviews and see what you're getting for your money. And this time-limite exclusivity is perfectly acceptable to me. Wish more bonus content/DLC had been done this way (I'm looking at you Mr. Play-as-the-Joker in Arkham Asylum on the PS3)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Battlefield 3 Weapon Customization
3. Re: On Battlefield 3 Weapon Customization Aug 25, 2011, 21:34 Ruffiana

That's it? I half expected this type of announcement to come along with something wildley unpopular. Like, each weapon comes eith 3 accessory slots, but can only be fitted with accessories you buy using Origin Points which can only be purchased via PayPal.

Where's my daily dose of BF3 drama?

News Comments > Square "Respects the Right of GameStop" to Remove OnLive Coupons
25. Re: Square Aug 25, 2011, 13:24 Ruffiana

SimplyMonk wrote on Aug 25, 2011, 13:19:
Square-Enix isn't a big enough publisher to push GameStop around like that. Would require EA or Activision-Blizzard to make GameStop bend. That being said, I don't really see how OnLive is a "Direct" competitor to the Impulse service. OnLive's service to me is only desirable when my PC doesn't have the power (but has massive amounts of bandwidth) to play a specific title.

Other than that one case, why would I want to bother playing a single player game who's raw performance is dependent on my internet connection on a service that has a finite limit on my license to play a game that I payed full price for? Maybe if I didn't have a 360 and PS3 their TV hook-up would be more appealing.

This move by GameStop suprises me as the only person this really hurts is OnLive and themselves. OnLive isn't really big enough to matter much in the industry, but I guess GameStop is willing to suffer more damage to its tarnished reputation in order to keep OnLive small.

As long as Gamestop's bread & butter is from leeching money out of the console market through used game sales, no single publisher or conglomerate of publishers of new PC games will change their practices.

Just not a big enough piece of their revenue stream for them to care about.

News Comments > Steve Jobs Resigns
29. Re: Steve Jobs Resigns Aug 24, 2011, 21:43 Ruffiana

Time to fire up the iSteve.

Steve Jobs = Walt Disney. The Apple brand will never be the same without him.

News Comments > No Home Dedicated Servers for Battlefield 3
12. Re: No Home Dedicated Servers for Battlefield 3 Aug 24, 2011, 18:48 Ruffiana

Marvin T. Martian wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 18:05:
Every announcement continues to keep this game on my no buy list.

No kidding, right? It's like they have a checklist of everything you could possibly do to alieante the PC FPS gamer demographic, and they need to get through every bulletpoint before the release date.

It's an odd business plan. See what other gamed did in the past to garner bad press, and then do the same. Hope this works out for them. I guess it will be a good lithmus test for how much the whole gaming market really knows or cares about things like this compared to the hype and marketting machine showing high-octane trailers and pretty pictures.

News Comments > GameStop Discarding Deus Ex: Human Revolution OnLive Coupons
43. Re: GameStop Discarding Deus Ex: Human Revolution OnLive Coupons Aug 24, 2011, 18:39 Ruffiana

Serule wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 18:04:
Not that I'm defending gamestop (I unfortunately work there..) but can I ask how many of you who posted actually use onlive? Not that I agree that taking it out of the box was right.. but really.. how much damage would it do?

I have enough problems with Gamestop's practice of opening new games to keep the discs behind the counter...namely becaue it becomes indistinguishable from a used game at that point. If they didn't also sell used games, it wouldn't be an issue for me.

Physically removing any bit of the product and selling it as a new product, is just not an acceptable practice to me. Especially not when this item has a real, monetary value. If it were a coupon for 5% off at Gamestop and they removed it it would still be unnaceptable. That this is being done to deliberately target another company perceived as a competitor puts it on a whole new level.

34. Re: GameStop Discarding Deus Ex: Human Revolution OnLive Coupons Aug 24, 2011, 16:56 Ruffiana

If I was On-Live, I'd be taking some serious advantage of this PR. Offer customers a free months of on-live with proof of a returned copy of Deus Ex to Gamestop.  

1. Re: GameStop Discarding Deus Ex: Human Revolution OnLive Coupons Aug 24, 2011, 14:08 Ruffiana

Fuck Gamestop. I'm so sick of these leeches and they're hypocritical bullshit. Can't return a game once you've opened it, but they have no problem with opening games, playing them, and now removing shit before putting them back in the box, resealing it with their own tape and selling it as 'new'.  

News Comments > Steam From Dust Refunds
29. Re: Steam From Dust Refunds Aug 24, 2011, 13:39 Ruffiana

Creston wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 11:34:
Alamar wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 11:22:
That's the distinction that consumers, or Bluesnewsians don't seem to get... DRM works... CD checks worked... Windows Activation works...

You have no idea whether it does or not. You THINK it does, but that's not cold hard fact. You have no numbers one way or the other.

Common sense says if you lock something up, it's less likely to be stolen. Otherwise, you have no proof that it doesn't stop piracy, so your statement is an arguement from ignorance.

Does DRM affect sales? Unarguably, it probably does to some degree. There's at least one person who will not buy a game because of its DRM. Probably fewer than the total number of peopel who claim they won't buy a game because of the DRM, but ultimately end up buying it anyway because they really want to play it.

But one has to both 1) be ware of the DRM being used and 2) care enough about the inconvenience of that DRM to avoid buying the game they want to play. I would argue that that's a smaller demographic than people who might be casual pirates...ie, the type of person willing to burn a copy of a game they've bought on to a DVD for their friends or family. I certainly know my own family was guilty of this for years before DRM started really being implemented. But thinking that the stringent anti-DRM gamers represent a majority of customers is about as misguided as thinking that the Tea-Partyers represent the majority of America.

Ultimately, none of us have access to the data that could prove how effective or in-effective DRM is towards the bottom line, but ultimately DRM is not there to help make more money through inconveniencing legitimate customers. DRM is there to help make the people investing millions of dollars into developing a game and bringing it to market feel safer that their investement isn't just going to vanish into the ether of unlimited digital duplication and distribution through piracy. It doesn't matter if that fear is largely unfounded, or misplaced...it's a genuine concern for capital investmeent in an industry that needs a lot of capital to operate.

This comment was edited on Aug 24, 2011, 13:46.

News Comments > WildStar Gameplay Footage
9. Re: WildStar Gameplay Footage Aug 19, 2011, 19:07 Ruffiana

Ranger55 wrote on Aug 19, 2011, 15:01:
Almost feels like Rachet & Clank to me. Bet it is going to be cross-platform.

Same art director.

News Comments > BF3 Themed Co-op
12. Re: BF3 Themed Co-op Aug 19, 2011, 18:31 Ruffiana

Sir Graves wrote on Aug 19, 2011, 16:06:
I was totally excited when I first heard this was going to have a co-op campaign built-in(!), but then they announced that it was only two player and now I don't care at all. Two player co-op does me (and my gaming group) no good. Hey DICE; on PC, 4-player is the usual minimum for co-op these days. That two-player junk is for consoles.

Still waiting to hear if there will be bot support for all multiplayer game modes (for those of us who prefer to play privately with just a couple or few friends).

You heard "co-op" and didn't immediately think 2 players? Odd. Anything more than 2 is multiplayer to me.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 18, 2011, 14:40 Ruffiana

Who isn't these days. Patent system is completely broken in regards to software.  

News Comments > Driver: San Francisco DRM Relaxed
18. Re: Driver: San Francisco DRM Relaxed Aug 18, 2011, 13:33 Ruffiana

This is totally in the hands of gamers to fix. Take one year, just one year, and collectively agree to not pirate or buy a single used copy of a game. Let publishers see, emperically, exactly how much these things really affects the bottom line in terms of sales.

End the damn arguement about whether piracy is a cancer or an unsung hero once and for all.

Hell, just do it with one major game. Battlefield 3, Mass Effect 3, something like that. Don't even have to go a whole 12 months without feeding our overblown sense of entitlement to digital crack. Just one damn game that should sell well based on its pedigree alone. Don't crack it, don't pirate it, don't buy a used copy.

News Comments > Carbine's Sci-Fi MMOG WildStar Announced
21. Re: Carbine's Sci-Fi MMOG WildStar Announced Aug 17, 2011, 20:46 Ruffiana

Gameplay video:  

News Comments > No Always On DRM for TrackMania 2
17. Re: No Always On DRM for TrackMania 2 Aug 14, 2011, 13:35 Ruffiana

Jerykk wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 23:56:
While I'm happy that the game isn't plagued by UbiDRM, I'm confused as to why Ubisoft is being so inconsistent. Why do some of their PC games have UbiDRM while others don't?

Why? Cause wtf is "TrackMania 2", that's why.

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Aug 12, 2011, 12:07 Ruffiana

Blizzard attempting to make a succesful PC-exclusive fantasy-based multiplayer RPG that requires people to have a persistent internet connection in order to play? Ridiculously impossible. Something like that will never work!  

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin
24. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 16:50 Ruffiana

Luke wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 16:37:
Data wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 16:28:
What's with companies trying to be as annoying as possible? Just release a damn game, and let us play it without your business'y asshole wiped all over it.

because peps want all kinds of shit put into the games , they have to do it that way , learn to say NO its very simple.
Horsearmor people said "i don't care , next DLC crap was put into the games , and so on

Before DLC it was called 'an expansion'. This concept is absolutely nothing new.

That's neither here nor there because this service is 1) about shoring up protection against piracy 2) stepping back into between the middle-man of used game sellers and the customer and 3) establishing a cheaper and more cost-effective model of digital distribution without giving a kickback to Steam or other providers.

News Comments > More on Euclideon's "Unlimited Detail" Engine
3. Re: More on Euclideon's Aug 10, 2011, 22:12 Ruffiana

Addresses nothing. None of the known limitations of a sparse-voxel octree method are addressed and every description of what they're doing fits that method. People who understand the tech are largely dismissing it as nothing revolutionary. Octrees have been around for ages. Those who don't understand it are buying the hype spinning this as revolutionary out-of-the-box thinking.

Meanwhile, polygon engines are continuing to chug along at ever-increasing level of detail. They're even incorporating pseudo-voxels in their toolset rather than throwing decades of evolution out and trying to re-invent the damn wheel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhXIkbaVaj8&feature=feedwll

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Aug 10, 2011, 15:37 Ruffiana

Verno wrote on Aug 10, 2011, 12:10:
I pay full retail if the game is worth it. I have no problem with the price of games, it's more about the dollar to entertainment value. If everyone just buys games on sale then the industry will need to make those cuts somewhere and you can bet it will be right out of the game budgets, not their dividends.

Arguably, the first step would be to somehow eliminate sales.

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Aug 10, 2011, 15:33 Ruffiana

Creston wrote on Aug 10, 2011, 10:48:
No, it's not. It's simply been making steady, solid revenues for those devs who choose to develop for it, and it continues to still grow year over year over year.

Just because the consoles are dropping out of sight so all the "OMG XOBX!" monkeys now suddenly realize there's other options available doesn't mean the PC is suddenly making a "comeback."

It never went anywhere.

Creston

PC gaming has been largely eclipsed by the console market. It may have seen steady or slight gains over the years, but consoles exploded in that same time frame. For a while, the type of game that could be made on the 360 or PS3 was not vastly different than what you'd see on the PC...but the install base for consoles was larger, developing for a single unified system is easier and cheaper than trying to support the myraid of hardware configurations, and frankly...though no one wants to hear this...piracy on consoles is perceived to be less of a threat.

We've reached the point where, once again, the hardware available to the PC is vastly superior to what's in consoles. Developers have also acclimated to the new methods required by current gen technology and we'll start seeing more innovation happening on the PC side of things again.

This stuff goes through cycles. Not sure why anyone is surprised by this. There was a time when the Nintendo had better quality games than the PC. Back and forth, back and forth, every generation of console hardware.

894 Comments. 45 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo