Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Withheld

Real Name Withheld   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ruffiana
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 10, 2003, 16:04
Total Comments 894 (Graduate)
User ID 17414

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > NPD September Figures
10. Re: NPD September Figures Oct 14, 2011, 18:35 Ruffiana

DangerDog wrote on Oct 14, 2011, 18:16:
I wonder how many xbox360's and PS3's have been manufactured in total, I picture this massive landfill piled mile high when they finally do a refresh on these things.

Probably pale in comparison to things like plastic water bottles or utensils, old computer monitors and TVs, etc.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: the movie camera Oct 14, 2011, 18:12 Ruffiana

kanniballl wrote on Oct 14, 2011, 13:27:
Jim wrote on Oct 14, 2011, 13:22:
It always saddens me a bit to read about another long-established analog tech being relegated to the history books. While a small part of it is nostalgia, my biggest concern is that the more stuff we create on digital medium only, the more likely it becomes that it will be lost since there is no physical record of it. Hence I worry that we are heading towards an inevitable "Digital Library of Alexandria" scenario unless we can find ways to mass-archive a lot of this stuff.

Wasn't there a scene in the old Roller Ball film...

Like they completely digitized all of the libraries... and in one of the scenes with James Caan they said the master PC took a dump and permanently lost an entire era or category of History? I think the technician wrote it off as "oh well" but James Caan looked sad.

Technically, going digital means that unless something super-bad happens (like global EMP or Mad Max scenario) nothing should ever really be lost. Like a warehouse fire shouldn't (hopefully) lose the complete works of <something> assuming the people know how to properly backup off-site. Or for someone like Lucas to (cough) lose the original pre-CGI prints of Episodes IV - VI

On the other hand, digital is kind of a short-term medium. If all of humanity just died right now, those CDs/DVDs/HDDs would only last some years or decades. Then again, the cheap paper we use now probably wouldn't fair TOO much better.

I say we use more parchmanet for the important written works... or laser-etched stone/titanium/etc.

Digital is just a format, not a medium. You could just as easily encode vital digital work by laser etching it into titanium as something analogue.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
21. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2011, 18:08 Ruffiana

I've always tought about having myself creamated, and my ashes pressed into charcoal sticks for artists to use to create artwork for a memorial service/gallery showing.  

News Comments > NPD September Figures
8. Re: NPD September Figures Oct 14, 2011, 18:04 Ruffiana

Why do we lump game software and game hardware together in sales charts?

Do DVDs and DVD players typically get lumped together? Music and iPods? Serious, curious question here.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
10. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 13, 2011, 20:49 Ruffiana

PHJF wrote on Oct 13, 2011, 19:34:
If the theatrical 3D experience was so awesome, then why is it so wildly pirated?

Because people wanted to watch the movie again but didn't feel like shelling out $12 (again)? It's not rocket science.

That's not point I was making. I was responding to the proposal that the reason DVD sales for Avatar specifically were a small percentage of box office sales was because Avatar was a 3D film and really best suited for theater viewing. My point was, if that was the case, and the DVD home version was a paler experience compared to the theatrical release...then Avatar would have been less pirated than most other films, not more pirated. Clearly, it's valued (or more accuraltey highly desired but undervalued) because of its success and popularity in the theaters...laregly because of the scope of the film...laregly tied to how much crazy money they spent making it.

I saw Avatar, once, in a theater. If it hadn't come out in theaters, I'd have seen it somewhere else.

No, you wouldn't have. Because if it hadn't come out in theaters it would have never been made. No studio would have financed it.

What you fail to realize is that if you remove the theater as a viewing option then other options will get more business

I think this is largely speculation. As a counter-point I'd offer the the direct-to-home film industry...who isn't exactly rolling in cash cranking out lower-budget movies that pale in comparison to nearly identical, bigger budget films in the exact same market who are just back for a second helping.

It's certainly possible that the future may bring a completely different venue and different business model for feature films, but my whole point is that it will also, without a doubt, also bring about changes in how movies are budgeted and made. Lemee know if you have an idea about what that might be, I'd love to chip in on the next media revolution.

You're conveniently leaving out rentals and streaming as revenue sources, and the fact that, whoops, the DVD sales are domestic only.

I'm not leaving them out to serve my point, I just don't have sources readily at hand. However, I don't think it's irresponsible to assume that there is, at best, a correlation between box office to DVD sales regardless of whether their domestic or foreign. That's without assuming that the US market may be more consumer driven and eager to buy and own their own copy of a film on DVD than the international market(pure speculation on my part). It's possible that the worldwide DVD sales for Avatar did exceed the cost to make and market the film, but how long did that take? Was the annual return on investment for this $300m film worthwile enough for people to invest in movies rather than hedge funds? Again, based on the direct-to-video business model, whose profit margins are much slimmer...I would guess probably not.

Oh my god, Avatar made two billion dollars internationally and only seven hundred million in America! The American theater industry is dying ahhhhhh!

People aren't pirating Avatar the theatrical release, largely responisble for the astronomical revenues this film enjoyed because that's pretty much impossible to do. Imagine the shambles the film industry might be in if there were some magical way for one person to buy a ticket, take it home, scan it, and somehow allow anyone who downloaded it for free to walk into their local theater and watch the movie. If they could, you'd better damn well believe that the movie industry would be desperating trying to find some way to 1) keep tickets from being scanned or 2) radically rebuild how movies are monitized so they're not relying solely on people buying tickets...because that's suddenly become a completley unreliable stream.

Tell me that doesn't sound familiar.

8. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 13, 2011, 19:26 Ruffiana

Ventura wrote on Oct 13, 2011, 18:46:
Yeeeeaaaahhh, except most of that money was made at the box-office...you know, before the film is packaged up in a format that's easily and cheaply distributed by anyone with an internet connect.

Not that it didn't still break DVD and Blu Ray sales records though.

That's the point. DVD sales are icing on the cake when things are working as designed. If films were forced to rely on DVD sales alone then they are incredibly unlikely to turn a profit.

Thus...piracy of a movie, in an easily piratable format, after it's already made most of it's money anyway...not that big of a deal right now. It won't make or break a movie or, more important to the point, fundamentally change the way movies are being made.

7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 13, 2011, 18:49 Ruffiana

Prez wrote on Oct 13, 2011, 17:47:
Of course Avatar DVD sales were going to be comparatively low - the movie was such a box office draw because of its stunning 3D (which gave me a righteous headache, but the 3D was still amazing). Even on a 3D set, the living room experience just doesn't match the theater experience in my view.

If the theatrical 3D experience was so awesome, then why is it so wildly pirated?

Here's some numbers for "The Dark Knight"...which was not a 3D film (thank God):
http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/2008/BATM2.php
Production budget = ~$185m
Box office = $533m domestic + $468m foreign (over $1b worldwide)
DVD sales = $255m

If that film were relying on home video sales alone, it would barely be scraping by. The arguement could be made that it wouldn't have done nearly as well for not having the theatrical venue to pull in rave reviews, accolades about Ledger's performance, and the substantial marketting budget behind a "Batman" reboot.

As a general rule, movies make most of their money at the box office within the first couple of weekends off release. There's the occasional sleeper hits doesn't find an audience on their opending weekend or that slip through the box office quiety but manages to find a market through home sales. If they're lucky, and didn't cost too much to make or market in the first place, they might turn a profit. But no studio sets out with the goal of making a sleeper hit or film that will become a cult classic.

The entire film industry's business model, the metrics for success, all the things that get the money-men to pony up the real-cash money so a movie can be green-lit is projections for box-office ticket sales. If that revenue stream did not exist, or were to one day change to be less secure...guaranteed the way movies are financed, and thus the way movies are fundamentally made would radically change.

News Comments > Shadowrun Online Unveiled
20. Re: Shadowrun Online Unveiled Oct 13, 2011, 17:48 Ruffiana

Creston wrote on Oct 13, 2011, 13:47:
Cutter wrote on Oct 13, 2011, 12:34:
Is it too much to ask for a NWN style game based on Shadowrun where were can play co-op with some nice graphics and create and build our own missions?

I think there's just not enough money in the SR license to justify that type of an expense anymore, at least not in today's market. Sadly. An NWN style system in the SR universe might genuinely be the last game I'd ever buy.

Creston

Why does it have to be in any universe? Why not a completely modular game that let the community flesh out their own genres, rulesets, art styles, etc.

Hell, you could even monitize it. Let small groups work together to build a SR inspired kit and sell it through a marketplace for a few bucks with 10% going to the original "game" creators.

Cutter wrote on Oct 13, 2011, 15:50:
I'd love to see Obsidian - now that Tim Cain is there - make a generic CRPG creator similar to NWN where you plug in universal PAKs to create modules based on games like Shadowrun, Paranoia, and Pathfinder. Something like that would do amazingly well because geeks from all over would use it for their particular flavour of PnP.

Er...yeah. What he said.

4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 13, 2011, 17:20 Ruffiana

Creston wrote on Oct 13, 2011, 14:26:
Yeah, that piracy has sure hurt Avatar's sales. Rolleyes

Creston

Yeeeeaaaahhh, except most of that money was made at the box-office...you know, before the film is packaged up in a format that's easily and cheaply distributed by anyone with an internet connect. Imagine if Avatar were relying on DVD sales and rentals alone to recoup its ~$300 million dollar cost (plus another $150 for promotion). Would look more like this:
http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/2009/AVATR-DVD.php

When someone figures out how to set up a 'used' movie ticket industry it might become more of an issue than it already is.

2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 13, 2011, 13:29 Ruffiana

There's a correlation between popularity and piracy? Weird!  

News Comments > Airline Tycoon 2 Demo
3. Re: Airline Tycoon 2 Demo Oct 12, 2011, 19:38 Ruffiana

It is interesting how the airline travel industry seems to be held outside the hallowed walls of the irrefutable free-market. Almost as if someone realizes that some industries serve a far greater public good than profit alone.  

News Comments > WoW Real Money Trading
22. Re: WoW Real Money Trading Oct 12, 2011, 17:33 Ruffiana

Luke wrote on Oct 11, 2011, 18:19:

If people wan to waste real money on virtual items that's their bidness

And that's what makes game companies doing it , peps "well if they want to spend real money let them statement"

Give them a little finger and they rip your arm off

It's entertainment. No different than spending money on movies, television, booze, drugs, or strippers.

Still, without a way of converting said digital item back into real-world currency...there's no RMT. Gold-farmers aren't going to work for a supply of virtual pets, and why pay real money for something on the auction house when you can buy it for real money directly from the source.

This comment was edited on Oct 12, 2011, 17:41.

News Comments > S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Always-on DRM?
17. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Always-on DRM? Oct 8, 2011, 13:24 Ruffiana

crypto wrote on Oct 8, 2011, 13:00:
It looks like what he is saying is that, If you make a great game people will buy it, even if they have it via pirate copy.

If that is the case then I will agree 100% word of mouth Rep. is going to make lots of money. Look at Avatar,

Total production and marketing costs: $460,000,000

Theatrical Performance

Total US Gross $760,507,625
International Gross $2,023,411,357
Worldwide Gross $2,783,918,982
Home Market Performance
US DVD Sales: $190,281,604

Are you suggesting Avatar was a great movie?

News Comments > RAGE Reviews - PC Users Raging - ATI RAGE Drivers
96. Re: RAGE Reviews - PC Users Raging - ATI RAGE Drivers Oct 4, 2011, 14:44 Ruffiana

Beelzebud wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 11:14:
Beamer wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 11:09:
id gets bought by Bethesda.

In the past decade Bethesda has brought us Morrowind, Oblivion and Fallout 3, with New Vegas being outsourced.
In the past decade id has brought us Doom 3 with Quake 4, Quake Wars and 2 Wolfensteins being outsourced.

I'm thinking being acquired by Bethesda was a good thing for this game.

And yet here we are with the first id game that looks like the PC was an after-thought. And don't bring up Bethesda and Fallout as if that was a good thing. Not everyone likes deep tactical RPG's turned into first person shooters.

There are probably far more fans of Fallout 3/New Vegas and its direction than rabid fanboys of the original two games. I really wish people would drop this automatic attitude of "not what you wanted" being the equivelant of "not good", and simply enjoy or not enjoy games on their own merit.

Personally, I feel a franchise as rich as the Fallout universe is more than its original format. Some of my favorite games have been beloved games that were reimagined as a different format or twist on the tone.

News Comments > PC Piracy and DRM Analysis
39. Re: PC Piracy and DRM Analysis Oct 1, 2011, 14:10 Ruffiana

fela wrote on Oct 1, 2011, 00:04:
To the gaming "industry": Industry is the problem, not the solution. The industry has adopted the bullshit Hollywood model of pumping out garbage after garbage (yay more sequels and clones!) while additionally nickel and dimming the customer with $10 patches packaged with malware (DRM) and bloatware that nobody wants. This is ruining gaming.

Thank the gods for the Internet and indie games. Developers should understand by now there are only two ways of making a living developing games:

1) Sign away your rights, games, and ideas to middlemen who lost their reason for existence over a decade ago while gambling on a archaic business model that has shown countless failures. Hopefully all the PR stunts will turn a profit for the game and make up for the eventual layoffs of your friends/co-workers and the fact you worked 60 hour weeks for a $60 "AAA" title that will be featured in the bargain bin in a month.

2) Ditch the parasites, self-publish, and make a quality game that rises above the sea of gaming garbage. Since you don't have to appease inept corporate overlords and the almighty profit margin, one can produce twice the quality at a fraction of the cost, and all the while still leaving your dignity intact! See "Minecraft" as an example on how this model works.

If one wants to make money on the Internet one must understand the environment. Since anything you put into 1's and 0's becomes virtually and infinitely abundant, "intellectual" copyright and the cute notion of claiming ownership over non-scarce goods has died its well deserved death. Sorry Mr. Old Guard Developer if you came up with the idea first, but copying and sharing is not theft. I cannot be "stealing" if I am not depriving anyone of their property first, and virtual (non-scarce) goods do not count sorry buddy.

Welcome to the Digital Age kids. Adapt or die.

I've been part of the "industry" for over 12 years now and have never, NEVER, worked a 60 hour week period. Meanwhile, I've drawn a nice comfortable salary week after week, month after month. Sure I've ridden through a number of layoffs and shutdowns in that time, but you know what...it's still better than sitting at home, not making any damn money while trying to support my family and make a supposedly super-awesome game to appease the mass of anonymous gamers.

You are grossly romanticizing indy developers. The majority of whom work as long or as hard as those in the mainstream industry with much more personal risk, far less security, and far less chance for success. There are literally a handful of successful indy games out there and behind them hundreds of failed attempts from people who didn't even make it to their audience. Pointing to Minecraft as the poster-child for indy games is the same as pointing to WoW for commercial enterprises. Hey, you can make a game that brings in more revenue that most countries...that muts be the model for success, right? Frankly, you get more than 3 people involved in a project and you run into the exact same sort or creative disagreements and politics involved in minstream game development. The problem is people, not big-business. And creative people are the worst because they all think they're ideas are the best thing since sliced bread.

Otherwise, your rant translates seamlessly to any creative art as a commercial enterprise. Movies, Music, Games pick your poison. It's the same thing. There's plenty of room in the world for both.

As for adapting, the industry is. The era of a cohesively bundled, big-budget, AAA game that's 20-30 hours neatly packed up on a DVD is coming to an end. Everyone is moving to a dedicated online game of one sort or another. Most are treading into the free-to-play waters where piracy isn't nearly as casual as it is everywhere else. This trajectory began the moment games started being released and has been rapidly accelerating as more and more people world-wide become connected through the internet and the rise of piracy as a perceived threat to revenues has increased along side it.

News Comments > PC Piracy and DRM Analysis
14. Re: PC Piracy and DRM Analysis Sep 30, 2011, 22:18 Ruffiana

Bhruic wrote on Sep 30, 2011, 20:48:
But I have to stop and wonder how in the world they can continue to make that argument when a few years from now most games are likely going to be free-to-play anyway.

God, I hope he's wrong on that front. There's nothing wrong with a F2P game, but there are too many game models for which that system just wouldn't work.

Like what? The only real requirment is being able to segment your content into packages that can be created, delivered, and monetized in some way. That applies to every game I can think of.

News Comments > MechWarrior Reboot News Nears
15. Re: MechWarrior Reboot News Nears Sep 29, 2011, 13:33 Ruffiana

^Drag0n^ wrote on Sep 29, 2011, 13:29:
Cutter wrote on Sep 29, 2011, 12:21:
I dunno maybe they think they need to sexy it up and are using Michael Bay's style of Transformers for a model. *cringe*

And Sepia! Lots and lots of SEPIA!

(MS bought FASA, and thus, owns Mechwarrior, no?)

I thought gold was the new sepia?

News Comments > City of Heroes Freedom Launches
3. Re: City of Heroes Freedom Launches Sep 27, 2011, 17:20 Ruffiana

Technically, it's not truly "free-to-play". It's a hybrid model. More of an extended trial with limited access to certain things that you need to pay for invidually, or upgrade to a subscription to get.  

News Comments > On Deus Ex: Human Revolution DLC and Boss Battles
31. Re: On Deus Ex: Human Revolution DLC and Boss Battles Sep 23, 2011, 18:48 Ruffiana

Creston wrote on Sep 23, 2011, 13:53:
born2expire wrote on Sep 23, 2011, 13:48:
yes they should have cut the boss battles. i made it to the 2nd boss and stopped playing the game in disgust, I was enjoying the game rather immensely until the boss fights.

hopefully they'll patch them out in the future and then i'll play the game again.

Put two points in typhoon. Bring 3 typhoon ammo. Hit F2 three times when the boss is right beside you. End of boss fight.

I feel the same way you do about the boss fight, but don't let them ruin what's a very good rest of the game. The typhoon is basically there for you to nuke boss fights with.

Creston

Only problem with that is it's a strict gating into Typhoon pretty early in the game...when I'd much rather be putting points into hacking or other skills required to access areas of the game that you'd otherwise miss. Hacking stealth, fortify, capture levels, strength upgrade, jump height upgrade, inventory upgrades...plenty of things that are exceedingly useful the sooner you can get them and having to reserve 2 points just to deal with the 1st boss fight is pretty shitty.

They'd win major kudoos from me if they revisted just the 1st boss fight. Give a non-lethal or stealth based tactic to taking him down.

News Comments > Mod Removes Deus Ex: Human Revolution Gold Filter
11. Re: Mod Removes Deus Ex: Human Revolution Gold Filter Sep 23, 2011, 12:48 Ruffiana

Wildone wrote on Sep 23, 2011, 11:21:
Gold Filter=COnsole shitty graphics optimizer filter

Yeah! I mean movies and television do the same thing with their color balance and tone mapping to pull together the range of colors in an image...but that must be the console's fault as well.

894 Comments. 45 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo