Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Withheld

Real Name Withheld   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ruffiana
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 10, 2003, 16:04
Total Comments 894 (Graduate)
User ID 17414

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
18. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 8, 2011, 19:32 Ruffiana

Trying to imagine what circumstance would prompt me to be part of a class-action lawsuit against a service I don't pay for.

Negligence leading to CC info being released maybe?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Arkham City Skin Pack Released
18. Re: Arkham City Skin Pack Released Dec 7, 2011, 17:44 Ruffiana

nin wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 13:57:
Slashman wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 13:49:
nin wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 10:11:
If I was still playing this, I might be interested in the Dark Knight one. But yeah, $5?

Still think Asylum was better.

How was Asylum better exactly?

This sums up a number of my gripes.

With shit like this happening in real life, the major plot point behind Arkham City doesn't seem so implausible.

17. Re: Arkham City Skin Pack Released Dec 7, 2011, 17:40 Ruffiana

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 11:59:
nin wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 11:50:
Ruffiana wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 11:46:
Weren't most of these given out as pre-order bonus deals?

Yeah, and if you bought like 6 copies of the game and a blu ray, you'd have them all.

Exactly. Which is why they are coming out now - but kind of a moot point, as I think most people are done with the game? I would have paid maybe 1.00 for the Animated Skin.

If other people didn't pay extra to get these things on day 1, why should I pay extra months later to get the same thing months later?

I have no problem with DLC or cost of DLC, but this nonsense of locking content away behind pre-order exclusives and then selling it later as DLC is bullshit. These things aren't enticement to buy Arkham City from Gamestop or Target anymore, so it's time to let them be free for everyone.

9. Re: Arkham City Skin Pack Released Dec 7, 2011, 11:46 Ruffiana

Weren't most of these given out as pre-order bonus deals?  

News Comments > Bad Day at Day 1?
7. Re: Bad Day at Day 1? Dec 3, 2011, 17:22 Ruffiana

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 3, 2011, 16:13:
Same here, I would even refuse working at large Game studios, rather stay freelancer for Indies. Yeah its less money, but gaming is my second favorite past-time and I would never do anything that'd ruin it. And i know for a fact that NOBODY that works in the game industry comes out as an avid gamer that simply has fun playing games.

I actually do know for a fact that people work in the game industry and remain avid gamers that simply have fun playing games. But then my opinion is based on 12 1/2 years of working in the game industry.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics reported that people born between 1957 and 1964 held an average of 11 jobs from ages 18 to 44. On average, men held 11.4 jobs and women held 10.7 jobs. 25% percent held 15 jobs or more, while 12% held four jobs or less. Which means people are changing jobs every 2.3 to 2.4 years on average.

This cycling of employees is a symptom of the modern workplace and not isolated to the game industry. We're no longer living in our grandparent's era of getting a gold watch after 50 years of service to a company.

News Comments > Dead Space FPS Plans?
5. Re: Dead Space FPS Plans? Dec 1, 2011, 14:59 Ruffiana

Prez wrote on Dec 1, 2011, 12:43:
A Dead Space FPS would be sweet.

About as sweet as an MMO version of World of Warcraft?

5. Re: Activision denies storing passwords in plain text Dec 1, 2011, 11:50 Ruffiana

Creston wrote on Dec 1, 2011, 11:30:
"We'll have you known we store them in sans serif! Hmph!"

Creston

sans serif is about as plain as it gets.

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Dec 1, 2011, 11:40 Ruffiana

Jesus...  

18. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 30, 2011, 16:27 Ruffiana

Still waiting on a patch to fix the issue with selecting things in the UI. Dialogue inventory, inventory items...frequently picking the wrong thing. So far, that's impacted me more than anything else.

Very rarely I have the game crash out to desktop after fast traveling, but it auto-saves before and after traveling anyway, so only a minute or two to reload get back to where I was.

But c'mon Bethesda...get your shit together

News Comments > CD Projekt on Piracy and DRM
9. Re: CD Projekt on Piracy and DRM Nov 30, 2011, 12:32 Ruffiana

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Nov 30, 2011, 12:27:
Jerykk wrote on Nov 30, 2011, 12:23:
I think that's fairly common in places where broadband is uncommon or prohibitively expensive for most people, like Russia, China, Vietnam, Thailand, etc.
You kidding? Not sure on that. But when I was working in the industry, getting pirated copies of software through legit distribution chains was a real problem. You'd run across discs mis-stamped(said one thing, software was something else, with a valid key that was faked), obvious gold copy rips, and all the rest. That was in Canada and the US.

I've certainly seen this happen with more expensive software. OEM software is frequently sold off to customers as full retail copies. But is this really a rampant problem with games? Are people really going out to a local software store knowing that they're being sold a pirated copy of a game for cheap?

I've always lumped gamers into two categories. Those who know you can get games for free through piracy, and those who think Wal-Mart and Best Buy make games. Admittingly, that may be a too American-centric mindset and ignoring the rest of the world as a whole.

Still, I think the real takeaway her is not 'hey we manage to sell 250k copies at $40 a pop', it's 'hey, there were 4.5 million people who aquired and played our game without us involved'. Because it seems like that's your real market. Not trying to compete with piracy, but making piracy irrelevant and non-advantageous.

This comment was edited on Nov 30, 2011, 12:38.

6. Re: CD Projekt on Piracy and DRM Nov 30, 2011, 12:28 Ruffiana

Jerykk wrote on Nov 30, 2011, 12:23:
Who the fuck has ever 'gone to a local street vendor and bought a pirated copy of a game'?

I think that's fairly common in places where broadband is uncommon or prohibitively expensive for most people, like Russia, China, Vietnam, Thailand, etc.

Those are places where the supply of legimate copies of a game are extremely limited, and that's an entirely different problem all-together.

2. Re: CD Projekt on Piracy and DRM Nov 30, 2011, 12:21 Ruffiana

Who the hell has ever 'gone to a local street vendor and bought a pirated copy of a game'? The point of DRM isn't to stop piracy...we all know that's impossible in this age of digital media and the internet. The point of DRM is to maximaze sales, and for all of the arguements that DRM punishes customers or incentivizes piracy...it's all speculation as to what's effective, what's not effective, and what's counter-productive.

Problem with a DRM-free game trying to compete with piracy is you can't beat the value of free. No amount of bonus content or soundtracks will ever be a better deal than free. This is why eventually, all games will be free and monitized through some other method...ads, services, micro-transactions that aren't worth the effort of trying to pirate, etc.

The more the industry pulls back away from DRM, the more things will be pirated. The more some games move away from the traditional business model of selling a 'boxed copy', the more the perceived value of that model will diminish, and encourage even more piracy.

I see it all as inevitable at this point.

This comment was edited on Nov 30, 2011, 12:27.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Sells 8M
39. Re: Battlefield 3 Sells 8M Nov 30, 2011, 12:03 Ruffiana

I think I'll go out and buy a copy for the 360, and then not play it at all.

Just be-fucking-cause.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim New LAA Workaround
11. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim New LAA Workaround Nov 22, 2011, 13:39 Ruffiana

Halo wrote on Nov 22, 2011, 12:50:
PropheT wrote on Nov 22, 2011, 12:45:
I don't notice any performance benefits from the LAA fix, but I was getting random crashes and eventual texture dropouts over time until I installed the original one... so it's nice to have this back. Was back to three or four crashes an hour again yesterday after the patch, so hopefully this sets the ship to sailing again.

How can you make any progress or find any entertainment in a game that crashes about every 15 minutes?

I personally have put in 30 hours into this game so far, and here are all of the bugs I've noticed:
  • When I first launched the game, the HDR tone-mapping kept flickering. I updated my graphic drivers and the problem was instantly fixed.

• One water plane outside of a cave was not fully extended across the terrain...so my character swam through air.

• One segment of wall in a dungeon had some kind of occlusion problem, that allowed me to see through it into the void.

• Tried to launch the game last night and kept getting a looping error about the program needing permission to modify windows files. Had to verify integrity of game cache through Steam to clear that up.

• Other than that, nothing. Games run fine on my Win 7/64-bit system. Not a single crash or lockup to speak of...something that happened to me numerous times in both Fallout 3 and New Vegas on the 360.

This comment was edited on Nov 22, 2011, 13:44.

News Comments > 1M CoD Elite Premium Subscribers
    1. Re: 1M CoD Elite Premium Subscribers Nov 22, 2011, 12:01 Ruffiana

Well, that's it then. Gamers have embraced the dark path of paying a monthly sub to play an FPS and vindicated all of Kotick's behavior.

I really don't want to be a part of this industry anymore.

News Comments > Jurassic Park Metacritic Boosting
    23. Re: Jurassic Park Metacritic Boosting Nov 18, 2011, 12:50 Ruffiana

Verno wrote on Nov 18, 2011, 11:15:
    Prez wrote on Nov 18, 2011, 11:09:
    Just because they are biased doesn't mean they can't post reviews in my view. Hell, most user reviews are just as biased, being written by either fanboys or haters. They used their real names, so it isn't like they were being sneaky. I don't see this as a big deal myself.

They are under no obligations to do so but they should disclose their status first thing in the text of the review. The reason they don't do this is simple, they want people to think it's from a potential consumer. If it was me I would never review my own game - it's in poor taste and smacks of desperation. Telltale Games is a great studio but just because they used their real names doesn't make it any less silly. The bioware thing blew up for slightly different reasons but I think it's the same principle.

User review are a farce anyway. I trust a 10/10 review about as much as I trust a 0/10 review.

Unless users want to start identifying themselves for any potential bias...employees of other companies, working for other publishers, really hated Jurrasic Park, molested by Stephen Spielburg (KotCS debacle), thinks Michael Crichton is a douchebag, etc...where do you draw the line. Aren't our opinions based on biases? Isn't the simple act of buying and playing a game in the first place based on some sort of bias?

Otherwise, a half-dozen overwrought (and somewhat humorous) reviews from employees will get buried by other users and largely ignored in contrast to the official review scores. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see 10/10 from the users next to 40%-50% reviews from the media to think something might be up.

If you honestly rushed out and bought this game because you truly believed it would be like "Heavy Rain" directed by Stephen Spielburg, then you've got bigger problems you should get help for.

News Comments > Torchlight II Delayed
    26. Re: Torchlight II Delayed Nov 17, 2011, 17:38 Ruffiana

Drezden wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 15:53:
    I don't know why anyone is so concerned with Diablo 3 taking Torchlights sales. After all the crap that has come out on Diablo 3 I don't know a single person willing to buy it. They all want Torchlight instead.

I'm buying it. Unless reviews before it's release below the mid-80s. Largely ignore community feedback (for which I've heard nothing about D3 anyway) because they're notorious for being cynical, jaded, impossible to please ass-hats.

So, you now know at least a single person.

News Comments > Op Ed
    1. Re: Op Ed Nov 17, 2011, 11:53 Ruffiana

What creative industry does a better job at innovation than games? Certainly not film, music, or television.

When the technology plateaus and people stop struggling with new techniques and tools just to make a game in a modern engine, that's when you'll see people start to branch out with innovative genres, themes, or art direction to distinguish themselves.

News Comments > Skyrim Arrives
    60. Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 13:56 Ruffiana

venomhed wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 13:37:
    PC = Higher res graphics, easier to patch update, keyboard and mouse control for games like this are superior to any controller, cheaper by about $10, moddable.

I've never found PCs to be "easier to update" than the 360. A message pops up and says "There's an update, want to download it?" done and done.

PC I'm looking at updating my OS, drivers, patches for games...who knows what the latest driver to fix some minor issue in a game is going to do to everything else. Hell, I've had to flash a motherboard BIOS to get it to play nicely with a driver before.

Generally not a huge pain in the ass by any stretch of the imagination...but "easier"? How, exactly?

News Comments > GOG.com: "Your customers hate DRM"
    11. Re: GOG.com: "Your customers hate DRM" Nov 11, 2011, 13:06 Ruffiana

Quick, someone tell Activision that DRM will hurt their sales or else MW3 won't make any money!

One slight correction to make here, that I personally think makes all the difference:
    "Piracy quickly understood that digital needs to be simple, easy, and free."

Piracy is doing so well because it's taking a product that has monetary value, made by someone else, and giving it away for free. Hard enough stretch for me to believe that piracy has no effect on sales, don't expect me to swallow the lie that people only pirate because of the inconvenience of DRM.

Anti-DRM people seem to be blind to the actual trends in the industry, which are a move away from packaged products protected by innefectual DRM to something that is free from the start. Even MW3, one of the largest commercial releases ever is starting to drift over to this model of the game being there to support a service that people pay for (though they're greedily double and triple dipping because fuck it...why not, they can).

That's the future landscape of games things that don't need to be pirated software from quesitonable sources because they're already available for free through legitimate sources. Anyone who thinks that things will be just like they are now, just without DRM is delluding themselves.

894 Comments. 45 pages. Viewing page 8.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo