Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Withheld

Real Name Withheld   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ruffiana
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 10, 2003, 16:04
Total Comments 894 (Graduate)
User ID 17414

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Mobile Beta
17. Re: Steam Mobile Beta Jan 26, 2012, 18:33 Ruffiana

SWEET! Can't wait to play TF2 on my Droid!  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Quoteworthy - Paradox on DRM
35. Re: Quoteworthy - Paradox on DRM Jan 25, 2012, 16:36 Ruffiana

Verno wrote on Jan 25, 2012, 11:07:
Most people are ok with Steam to the point where they don't consider it DRM since they are rarely inconvenienced by it. It's not correct but it just goes to show the power of making meaningful trade offs with the consumer instead of having a fuck you all, take what we give you attitude.

I've felt more inconvenienced by Steam than any other form of DRM. Which isn't saying much, because I don't find Steam to be much of an inconvenience either.

Once again, someonw panders to the anti-DRM crowd, gets a bunch of praise, and really accomplishes nothing. People don't buy a game because it's DRM-free, they buy a game largely because of marketting, hype, and review scores. Some claim they don't buy games with DRM, fewer actually follow that practice, but overall it's about as significant as a fart in a hurricane.

Which is about how effective most DRM is these days as well.

News Comments > Minecraft's Information Quest
16. Re: Minecraft's Information Quest Jan 25, 2012, 14:24 Ruffiana

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jan 25, 2012, 13:50:
I don't understand how game stats tell you what's fun about a game. All it tells you is what players end up doing the most. If you have a bad game design that makes players grind then all you'll see is grinding.

It doesn't mean players like it...

Anyway, these things are okay if they're opt-in. Otherwise I think they're creepy.

At the very simplest level, if 99% of your players are playing multiplayer Minecraft for 99% of their time, it strongly suggests that's where your focus should be. If most players have DX9 video cards it doesn't make a lot of sense to support DX11. Etc.

More data is alwasy better. It's what conclussions you make from that data that can be dangerous.

News Comments > Minecraft's Information Quest
9. Re: Minecraft's Information Quest Jan 25, 2012, 13:13 Ruffiana

Domgrief wrote on Jan 25, 2012, 10:42:
Something rubs me the wrong way about collecting gameplay statistics.

I want to believe that a group of developers can make a great game because they understand fun games better than I do.

What game makers should be learning from my XP farming isn't that it makes their game fun, but that I am an idiot whose opinions on gameplay should not be trusted.

What an odd attitude. I promise you, we're not omniscient beings. Most of us are normal people, also gamers like yourself, and many are prone do to the same kind of XP farming you are in various games.

No one understands "fun games”. Fun is subjective. It's different for every person. Developers might make a game they find terribly fun, but can't find an audience for it who shares their opinion. Or they might slave away on something they find tediously dull and formulaic, but still have millions of players logging in on an hourly basis…having fun. But the one thing you can’t do is put something out there and not pay attention to the players.
It's always extremely helpful to know what players--as an aggregate-- are actually doing versus what you theorize will do based on your design. It lets you know what parts of the game are working and which aren't. A good developer can sift through that data, draw the right conclusions, and make the game better overall without compromising what's already enjoyable for players. A bad developer will identify adherent behavior and try to wall it off to funnel players into doing what they're supposed to.

Personally, I don’t care what other developers mine from me while playing a game. If they can record every second of gameplay and that will help them make better, more informed decisions, then have it at. As long as it won’t noticeably affect performance, infringe on my personal privacy (name, address, phone number, finances, etc.), and doesn’t leave me vulnerable to security threats. This cursory level of data is something I’m surprised they’re not already doing. Pretty standard to survey the hardware being used to run your software.

News Comments > Quoteworthy - Notch on Indies
7. Re: Quoteworthy - Notch on Indies Jan 24, 2012, 21:59 Ruffiana

Unless you're payroll is dependant on outside financing from a publisher or other 3rd party, to whom you're development is held accountable (budget, scope, and timeline)...you're a damn independant.

You can be 300 people with a $6m a month burn rate but as long it's your studio providing the financing for yourself, you're an independant developer.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Bans Gone Wrong?
25. Re: Battlefield 3 Bans Gone Wrong? Jan 24, 2012, 18:02 Ruffiana

So hackers are claiming responsiblity for this, and we're going to blame the game and anti-cheat software?

Wow.

News Comments > Splash Damage Plans Big 2012 Splash
17. Re: Splash Damage Plans Big 2012 Splash Jan 24, 2012, 12:15 Ruffiana

elefunk wrote on Jan 24, 2012, 11:52:
Why do you conflate "free-to-play" with "browser"?

Because that's the latest trend in the game industry? There's a number of established developers and startups working on browser-based game engines for HTML5 and the free-to-play model is eminently suited for that.

News Comments > Splash Damage Plans Big 2012 Splash
15. Re: Splash Damage Plans Big 2012 Splash Jan 24, 2012, 11:49 Ruffiana

...special things planned to take full advantage of the changes our industry is experiencing...

Anyone else read that and immediately think free-to-play browser game?

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
9. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Jan 23, 2012, 13:23 Ruffiana

Mingus wrote on Jan 22, 2012, 20:54:
OK. I understand the the outrage, but couldn't you also call for investigations into any/all industries that donate financially to members of Congress and the Senate for alleged bribery?

Say for example, big oil?

Let's face it folks, this is how the political game is played. I don't like it, but it's just they way it is.

You certainly could, but big oil doesn't have the online momentum at this particular time that was generated by the anti-SOPA/PIPA movement.

If this gets government seriously looking at lobbying practices, any lobbying practices, that's more likely to translate to something that might impact all lobbyists than doing nothing at all.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 23, 2012, 13:05 Ruffiana

Because it happened in a country that we're on good terms with, has strong economic ties to the film industry, and have extradition treaties with?

We pressed Duckworth on this point, and she suggested that the Megaupload operation may not work as a good model for counter-piracy operations in general. "Law enforcement cooperation for US criminal investigations may not go as far in certain countries such as Russia and China where they have lax copyright laws and a huge piracy problem," she said. In addition, countries like Russia will also not extradite their citizens.

Any number of non-cooperative countries more than willing to allow something like this to happen within their borders for the influx tax revenues or direct money alone. And that's without the very real possiblity of a dummy corporation working directly for a government.

I'm not saying we need SOPA in particular, but I'm not opposed to any sort of legislation that helps people protect their copyrights from unauthorized foreign distribution on principle alone...as long as it doesn't affect the fundamental nature of the internet or impose undue burdens on legimimate content providers. Not an easy thing to do. Which is why it can't be left up to a group of lobbyists representing one side only and a bunch of legislators who are utterly clueless and only concerned about the source of bribe money drying up.

News Comments > Space Quest 2 Remake
9. Re: Space Quest 2 Remake Jan 22, 2012, 05:31 Ruffiana

Hudson wrote on Jan 21, 2012, 20:25:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Jan 21, 2012, 18:16:

It's too bad these sort of click adventures went away...

Indeed good sir, indeed, it's very unfortunate.
All the "Quest" series and few other titles like "Leisure Suit Larry", "Monkey Island", "Day of the Tentacle" even going back as far as "DIG" and "Future Wars", all these games made you think, now not so much anymore. Kids get to be spoon fed everything now days.

I stopped thinking in games when they evolved beyond text-parsing. Both in how to solve the problems presented the game but just as often how to construct a command with the right nound and correct verb that the parser would understand.

King's Quest took us almost a year of experimentation before we thought to type the word "dive" while treading in the bottom of the well. In contrast, The Black Cauldron took me less than a day to complete. By the time King's Quest V was out, and introduced mouse-clicking, it was all downhill. Adventure games became more like playing Where's Waldo, looking for the most unique item in a scene to be clicking on so something would happen.

News Comments > The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer
19. Re: The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer Jan 19, 2012, 16:22 Ruffiana

Antdude wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 16:15:
What's really sad is watching a once-great company slowly going the way of all other companies that are swallowed up by EA. Bioware simply isn't ready for an MMO(or an RTS, for that matter) and the amount of talent and effort it will take to dig out of it is beyond them currently.

EA's stock is taking a hit today directly because of the SWTOR problems. It's not just a technical issue, but a project management issue, and closing the forums, denying people the ability to unsub, and their perceived inability to fix the latest round of problems brought on by their own patch, just smacks of panic on EA's part. This will destroy Bioware's credibility and will further damage a great IP.

It's not Bioware. It's EA slapping Bioware's name on a wholly different development studio(s).

News Comments > Diablo III Systems Changes
4. Re: Diablo III Systems Changes Jan 19, 2012, 13:51 Ruffiana

Not possible for a game to be "late" unless you've pre-sold it based on a declared release date.  

News Comments > Thief 4 Online Features?
14. Re: Thief 4 Online Features? Jan 17, 2012, 19:11 Ruffiana

Great, now everyone's going to adopt a policy that prohibits having resumes referring to current projects updated anywhere online.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 13, 2012, 19:21 Ruffiana

WarpCrow wrote on Jan 13, 2012, 11:43:
What do PCs offer that streaming services don't, or won't within a decade of refinement? Streaming has all the important bits: a plug and play experience, no need to mess around with settings, just start the game and play. No need for expensive hardware, not even a relatively inexpensive PC. Much greater portability over PCs as long as you have access to broadband connection, no need to worry about losing discs, the list goes on. The same people who chose consoles over PC will soon choose streaming over PCs, and for many of the same reasons. It's just a matter of time if you ask me.

I agree!

News Comments > Mojang Developing Three Games
3. Re: Mojang Developing Three Games Jan 13, 2012, 15:03 Ruffiana

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 13, 2012, 13:32:
I just hope for their sakes they've been smart with the money they made on Minecraft. They should never "have" to work again. I wouldn't bet on them making money worth mentioning on anything else they produce.

Notch could certainly retire on the money he made off of Minecraft and lead a pretty comfortable life. But he'd rather use that money to finance his passion...making games. I can respec that. Were I in his position, knowing what I know, with the experiences I've had...it would be really hard for me to gamble with my own money on a game. So much easier to just cut and run, move somewhere nice, and occasionally tinker with a mod or small one-man project.

But starting up and running his own development studio, especially one simulatneously working on 4 games...he'll burn through that Minecraft money pretty quickly. So here's to hoping that he's got a good plan and have enough success to continue doing what he's doing for as long as he wants to.

News Comments > Mojang Developing Three Games
1. Re: Mojang Developing Three Games Jan 13, 2012, 12:32 Ruffiana

Might be spreading yourself a bit thin there Notch. Hard enough to develop a new game with your full attention. Supporting and expanding on a live one while developing a new one would be very challenging.

But three new games and 1 live game? That's just reckless.

News Comments > CD Projekt RED Ceasing Witcher 2 Piracy Witch Hunt
18. Re: CD Projekt RED Ceasing Witcher 2 Piracy Witch Hunt Jan 12, 2012, 16:28 Ruffiana

necrosis wrote on Jan 12, 2012, 15:33:
Ruffiana wrote on Jan 12, 2012, 14:16:
nin wrote on Jan 12, 2012, 14:12:
Rob wrote on Jan 12, 2012, 14:06:
And what happens when those servers go down?

Remember people not being able to play Spore? Or Assasin's Creed? Or Bionic Commando Rearmed?

And we've come full circle! Everyone back to the "Diablo III in February" thread!

It will function exactly as MMOs have for 2 decades now. Occasional outage, miniscule inconvenience, thunderous fist-shaking, and then people will get back to their digital crack a few minutes later.

More OT, this is an insult to the term "witch hunt". Unlike piracy, witches aren't real. And the standard test for determining whether ot not someone has illegally distributed copyrighted material is not 'toss them in a body of water and see if they fail to drown'.
But these are not MMO's. They have no solid need for constant internet access. Yes I know you need internet for multiplayer (duh) but why the hell do I need a constant internet connection (or even one at launch) for a single player/the single player portion of a game?

Also it is like the witch hunts of a time long past. They are searching for people and prosecuting them for something they have little (if any) solid proof of.

It's a semantics arguement. A great deal of the time, MMOs are played exactly like single player games. ArenaNet took the Diablo II battlenet model, made one minor tweak to it, and launched a genuine MMO game.

Just because something isn't required for every aspect of a game does not mean it will fail. Requiring a persistent online connection for gameplay is what MMOs have been doing for a long time. It's when single-player developers jump blindly into this structure that things go tit's up. But Blizzard has a ton of experience with it and I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they can provide a smooth, stable online experience for Diablo III.

Don't like it, then don't buy it. The market will undoubtedly be there without you.

News Comments > CD Projekt RED Ceasing Witcher 2 Piracy Witch Hunt
15. Re: CD Projekt RED Ceasing Witcher 2 Piracy Witch Hunt Jan 12, 2012, 14:16 Ruffiana

nin wrote on Jan 12, 2012, 14:12:
Rob wrote on Jan 12, 2012, 14:06:
And what happens when those servers go down?

Remember people not being able to play Spore? Or Assasin's Creed? Or Bionic Commando Rearmed?

And we've come full circle! Everyone back to the "Diablo III in February" thread!

It will function exactly as MMOs have for 2 decades now. Occasional outage, miniscule inconvenience, thunderous fist-shaking, and then people will get back to their digital crack a few minutes later.

I'm sure they've learned a lot from WoW and can manage to support persistent servers in a more than reasonable fasion.

More OT, this is an insult to the term "witch hunt". Unlike piracy, witches aren't real. And the standard test for determining whether ot not someone has illegally distributed copyrighted material is not 'toss them in a body of water and see if they fail to drown'.

News Comments > Quoteworthy: Notch on Piracy
8. Re: Quoteworthy: Notch on Piracy Jan 12, 2012, 13:45 Ruffiana

It's easy to have this attitude when you've already made more money than you could have imagined from your one-man independant endeavor. But I promise, this attitude does not work when you're trying to convince capital investers to fork over tens to hundreds of millions of dollars to make a game.

At this point, it's just free extra money for Notch and it would be pointless to not pander.

894 Comments. 45 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo