Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Nick Davidson

Real Name Nick Davidson   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Duc
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 2, 2003, 13:19
Total Comments 330 (Amateur)
User ID 17321

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Well Jul 9, 2005, 13:12 Duc

Doom 3 left me with the palpable sense that there was a brilliant game hidden somewhere. ID created the PDA, the video and audio logs, the atmosphere and asthetic. Not only that but they handled some of the scenes pretty skillfully, the transition in the intro between the radar board and the actual shuttle was a very nice bit of direction. I think the biggest issue with doom 3 was doom itself, it locked them to a tired concept - a decent writer and a new story might have made all the difference.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Into the Black
11. Re: Future climate Jun 30, 2005, 03:52 Duc

Well, it depends what you mean by 'make up their minds'. Most of the scientific community agrees that we are having a major impact on the global ecosystem in a range of ways, and things certainly seem to be heating up at the moment.
The 'problem' is good scientific practice will mean that evidence for and against a theory is published, generally until a theory is either accepted by consensus or discredited. This doesn't play well with political mastheads (on either side) which much prefer to deal with the next 4-8 years and black / white absolutes.
More specifically the cows are an indication that a heavily industrialised farm industry can pollute - not exactly news and the Reuters article is arguing that the aerosols have been acting as a break on the effects of global warming, they are typically blamed for breaking down ozone in our atmosphere though, so I have no idea how they arrived at this conclusion

This comment was edited on Jun 30, 03:53.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - EQ2: The Splitpaw Saga
7. Re: Once more... Jun 30, 2005, 03:13 Duc

Really ? Which ones.

News Comments > Max Payne Movie Plans
31. Re: No subject Jun 28, 2005, 03:28 Duc

I have difficulty accepting Sin City as a noir movie, for me what characterised Noir was the dialogue and Sin Citys faithful reproduction of frank millers comic book text came across more as florid than hard bitten. Especially when clive owen is waxing lyrical about strippers as Valkyries.

This comment was edited on Jun 28, 03:37.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Tiny Software Jun 28, 2005, 03:21 Duc

I don't really see the point of this, CA make good virus software at a good price price, but they already market a personal firewall product. They did something similar with pest patrol a while back and still havent integrated it with the 7.1 AV software properly. I suspect that this has more to do with buying out a rival than the technology on offer, did Tiny have a decent market share?

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
3. Re: Xbox360 5 times more powerful Jun 25, 2005, 14:10 Duc

Well, this is using a special kind of maths called floating point bullshit - the way it breaks down is:

(hype)e(supposition)/(lies)e(E) ==0.5e1

where E is the speed of a pig in flight.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: PS Thumb Jun 24, 2005, 06:24 Duc

Bad as PS Thumb might be, it can't compare to the agony of 3 days straight of TF / AQ2 at a LAN leading to the dreaded 'quake claw'.

News Comments > Supreme Commander Announced
7. Re: No subject Jun 21, 2005, 08:01 Duc

I wait for news of pending legal action with bated breath.

News Comments > Evening Q&As
6. Re: Auto-Assault Jun 17, 2005, 03:40 Duc

Actually that was exactly the process for the guildwars alpha - it's becomming more and more a standard tactic.

This comment was edited on Jun 17, 03:40.

News Comments > Hitman Movie Diesel Powered
28. Re: Great Actor! Jun 16, 2005, 08:33 Duc

Pitch Black was pretty good, FatF was enjoyable, Chronicles was utter crap and Escape from Butcher Bay was brilliant. I honestly think that Vin Diesel makes better games than movies - Diesel + 47 has a bad smell all over it.

News Comments > Battlefield 2 Demo
340. Re: GOD DAMN IT ! Jun 11, 2005, 07:54 Duc

God hates me, my copy of san andreas arrived on thursday morning, but by the time I got back from work something (a power surge maybe, we had lightning that day) had fried my computer. So far my two sata disks my motherboard and my 6800gt are all confirmed dead. Don't know about my processor and ram havent quite had the energy to test them in another set up.
No san andreas, no BF2 demo.... ARGH.

News Comments > Dungeon Lords U.K. Delay
27. Re: Please :( Jun 3, 2005, 10:25 Duc

Did you notice they produced a samurai expansion pack for UO?
Thats the last new Ultima game we are ever likely to see, it breaks my heart.

News Comments > Universal Combat Product Updates
24. Re: no publishers May 29, 2005, 05:04 Duc

Actually I think the biggest problem with the BC/UC games is the interface, which always felt overly complex and buggy to me. Possibly Derek needs to read some books on design philosophy - "The Design of Everyday Things" is an excellent start.

News Comments > It Came From E3, Part 9
4. Re: Six games to watch? May 24, 2005, 02:42 Duc

They could have replaced nintendogs for a start.

RE: Hall of Shame
I think some people find the attitude of the games companies condicending - paying a bunch of models to sit around pretending to have a sleepover is pretty tragic, especially given that the game sold especially well to women, usually an under represented demographic in gaming.

News Comments > Source Update Redux
4. Re: No subject May 24, 2005, 02:34 Duc

Say what you want, what other company is delivering patches and updates this fast?

Admittedly HL2DM is still my go to guy for crashing, and every time they fix something in CS source they fuck DM over even more but oh well...

News Comments > Prince of Persia 3 Title?
4. Re: No subject May 20, 2005, 04:07 Duc

I think your in the minority there... Warrior Within was plagued by many many problems both in concept (bosses which required the same default attack to be repeated 300 times) and execution (dear god in heaven the bugs).

News Comments > Brothers in Arms Follow-up Title
8. Re: No subject May 18, 2005, 06:36 Duc

You forgot the dodgy monologues to instill 'atmosphere'

News Comments > Enemy Territory: Quake Wars Announced
51. Re: No subject May 16, 2005, 18:26 Duc

No, red faction just seemed to have lots of destroyable brushes in certain areas, they never really did anything with it.

News Comments > Evening Q&As
1. Stalkers AI May 10, 2005, 05:45 Duc

This would be fantastic if it was ever actually released.

News Comments > Dear Diaries
1. Wow... May 7, 2005, 08:13 Duc

Well, the pc version of fable certainly sounds like its going to be different to the xbox:

"Being British, we had to do our own take on this and allow the hero to dress as a woman. Aha! Transvestitism really is the basis of all humour. Aha. Ahahaha."

Wow.

330 Comments. 17 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo