Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2063 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ] Older >

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto IV Graphics Mod
7. Re: Grand Theft Auto IV Graphics Mod Jul 5, 2011, 15:11 jimnms

Are these the same guys that did a graphics mod for GTA San Andreas? I remember seeing screen shots of it and it looking almost like GTA IV.

Will this mod work on the Episodes from Liberty City? The site is slow right now and it keeps timing out. I just finished a play through of GTA IV a couple of days ago. I hadn't played it since I got the Episodes from Liberty City and wanted to play the original again to remember how the characters from EFLC were in the original story. I'm going to play the episodes again while GTA IV is still fresh in my mind.

I'm using a speedometer and realistic driving and damage mod, and it makes the game much more challenging and fun. The damage is still a little too forgiving though, but the cars are faster and handle more like you'd expect a real car to.

I had played around with tweaking the handling.dat myself a while back to get more realistic damage, and it makes car chases so much more challenging because hard hit and you're car isn't moving anymore. After playing with that, my driving in GTA IV has improved a lot.

Steam Profile
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Man Cited For 'Flipping The Bird' At Another Driver Jul 3, 2011, 17:58 jimnms

Most say this is not an issue of first amendment rights, but more about safety.
I would go with that if he was driving and did it, but he was sitting still at a red light FFS. I hope he wins.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
2. Are Ubuntu's Glory Days Over? Jul 3, 2011, 17:50 jimnms

I still use Ubuntu on my netbook, and Unity works really well on its small screen. I also have a variety of distros that I use in VirtualBox that I use for certain things.

As for Unity vs. GNOME, at least they still give you the option to run a standard GNOME desktop. The new launcher is pretty much just like Windows 7's new task bar. I do like some things about it. I don't like it on larger resolution screens though. Like I said earlier, it works really well on a small resolution netbook screen where you mostly run things full screen, but on a larger resolution desktop where I typically have lots of thing open, I would prefer a standard integrated menu/taskbar/system tray.

I tried out Fedora 15 to get a look at GNOME 3, and I'm glad Ubuntu didn't use that. I really don't see anything good with GNOME 3 at the moment for a desktop OS. It seems like it's designed for only running things full screen. Like Unity, it might work good on a small netbook screen where you usually run things full screen, but it makes things harder when you have more desktop space. For example, say I have several windows open, and I want to switch to one that is behind the others. With a taskbar I just click the taskbar icon of what I want and there it is. With GNOME 3, you have to click the activities bar at the top left, then find and click the window you want. That's extra mouse clicking extra mouse movement to do what once took a single click.

I recently tried Mint, and I like it a lot. I'm considering switching to it on my netbook.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 30, 2011, 04:54 jimnms

What I want to know (not that I really care since I don't have or want a 3DS) is what about the people who first buy the game? Can you not start a new game and play again or is it just a one play through and that's it?

I would also like to meet the person(s) who though this was a good idea.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
7. Re: Custom Firmware Alternatives For Your Wireless Router Jun 30, 2011, 04:47 jimnms

mag wrote on Jun 29, 2011, 23:09:
Edit: Not recommended to you, jimnms, since you've got something that works for you now. But for other people interested. It took me a lot of searching to find a router with (nearly) everything I wanted for a good price.

I thought about keeping one for my router and AP. My netbook has wireless-n, but not gig-e. My rational side beat my want-a-new-toy side since I really didn't need it. I'm looking to get a new netbook soon and I'd like to get a tablet that can play HD (1080i) recordings from my HTPC. When the time comes to get a wireless-n router, I'd like to get a dual band router because the 2.4GHz spectrum has gotten crowded since I got my first wireless router.

At first I was the only one, so I picked channel 6, right in the middle. A year or so later a new one popped up, and they decided they wanted channel 6 too (they actually just plugged it in and didn't change any settings). I moved mine down to channel 1. A little while later a new wireless network pops up, and guess what channel they took? I moved up to 11, and that's where I've been since. Now there are networks on 1, 4, 6, 8 and 9. I think the cable co. and/or AT&T has been installing modems with wireless routers built in whether the customer needs it or not.

Steam Profile

4. Custom Firmware Alternatives For Your Wireless Router Jun 29, 2011, 12:44 jimnms

I've been using Tomato on my Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 router's for several years. The hardware is rock solid stable, and Tomato is a perfect match. I have two, originally using them in bridge mode to connect two rooms since I can't properly run ethernet in the house. I later needed more bandwidth and used a power line adapter. I keep one as a router with wifi turned off, and the other one is in the living room in AP mode.

When I first bought them, the first thing I did was flash them with DD-WRT. Back then, DD-WRT had a bug that made using bridge mode a pain in the ass. I found Tomato, it worked, so I've been using it ever since.

I once almost had a full year up-time on both of them until the power went out and stayed off long enough for my battery backups to shut off. What was more surprising is that we didn't have a power failure for almost a full year.

A few months ago one of my powerline adapters died just 1 month out of warranty. I bought a couple of new Buffalo routers (WZR-HP-G300NH) to try using a wireless bridge again, this time with 802.11n. They come with a factory branded version of DD-WRT, but you can also use DD-WRT builds from dd-wrt.com. DD-WRT has come a long way since I used it. There were a lot of nice features built in, and the new Buffalo routers had the storage and ram to run them all. It has a built in RADIUS server and hotspot management services. I ended up sending them back because they were only 10Mbps faster than the powerline network the replaced. I bought some newer 500Mbps powerline adapters which for less than the two new routers were faster and easier to set up.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Thunderbird 5 Jun 29, 2011, 00:09 jimnms

Mozilla, I get it, you want a faster paced development and release cycle, but seriously, at least have some kind of logic behind your version numbers.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > On Sale
5. Re: On Sale Jun 25, 2011, 14:54 jimnms

nin wrote on Jun 25, 2011, 14:44:
The GoG version of Fallout 1 for some reason is the censored UK version.
Huh, that's surprising.
The Fallout 2 version they sell is the US version.

Steam Profile

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Jun 25, 2011, 14:38 jimnms

Jerykk wrote on Jun 24, 2011, 21:32:
If for some insane reason you have yet to play Fallout 1 and 2, GOG's sale is a great chance to do so. They still hold up as great RPGs today. Of course, there are still ways they can be improved. Namely:

http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/dload.php?action=file&file_id=1341
http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/dload.php?action=file&file_id=1097
http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/dload.php?action=file&file_id=1273
http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/dload.php?action=file&file_id=1075
http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/dload.php?action=file&file_id=1135

There are newer versions of some of those mods which aren't hosted on NMA.

The unofficial Fallout patch is up to 1.3.5:
http://teamx.ru/node/297

The Fallout 1 NPC mod is up to 3.5
http://teamx.ru/node/294

Also grab these:

sfall for Fallout 1 (adds mouse wheel support in inventory screen and other stuff):
http://teamx.ru/node/284

sfall for Fallout 2:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/sfall/

The GoG version of Fallout 1 for some reason is the censored UK version. To bring it back to the uncensored US version, grab this:
http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/dload.php?action=file&file_id=569

EDIT:
Just noticed this one that takes care of Fallout 1 by adding all of the necessary mods into one:
http://falloutmods.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_FIXT

More links for your modding pleasure:
http://falloutmods.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_1_Mods
http://falloutmods.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Fallout_2_mods

This comment was edited on Jun 25, 2011, 14:52.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Why the Linux netbook crashed and burned. Jun 24, 2011, 22:41 jimnms

I wouldn't say the netbook is dead or dying, and Linux certainly isn't dead on netbooks. A lot of netbook buyers ditch XP/7 Starter for Linux, and some are beginning to offer Linux again. ASUS is coming out with a $200 netbook with MeeGo Linux this summer (Eee PC X101).

If anything, the market has become stale. It seems like every day one of the major netbook makers (ASUS, Acer, Lenovo) puts out a new netbook model or announces a new one. The specs are all pretty much the same as they have been, so there's no reason to upgrade.

I have no use for a full size notebook. I do most of my computing on my desktop. When I travel, I just need something for internet, email and maybe extra storage to dump pictures to if I fill up my flash cards. I used to own a notebook, but it always stayed in the hotel due to its size and weight. With a ~2lb netbook, I can take it with me. If anything replaces my netbook, it will likely be a tablet. I do want a tablet, but I don't see it replacing my netbook.

I use my netbook daily too. It sits beside me on my desk, and while playing games, I can have things displayed on it like maps or look up shit without having to ALT-TAB out of my game.

I still use an EeePC 901 that I bought in 2008 for $370, and I still have the original EeePC 701 that I bought after hunting for a new lighter notebook. I ended up buying a 13" Dell, but sent it back and got the EeePC instead. I upgraded it to 2GB of RAM and put WinXP on it though. I just looked up my receipt for it, and it was $399 + $35 for the RAM. I already had a spare XP license, so that didn't cost anything.

When I got the 901, it uses the same spec RAM, so I just put the 2GB module in it. The 901 I bought was a WinXP version. I wanted the one that came with Linux because it had a bigger SSD and I already had my own WinXP disk, but the one with XP was actually cheaper. I later upgraded it to a 32GB SSD and I run both XP and Linux on it.

I'm actually keeping my eye a few new netbooks that are coming out soon, since the new Atom chips are faster, dual core and get better battery life than what I have now. With some of them getting a real 10+ hours of battery, I can just pack the netbook and leave the power cables at home for a overnight or weekend trip.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Goes Free-to-Play
60. Re: Team Fortress 2 Goes Free-to-Play Jun 24, 2011, 18:18 jimnms

descender wrote on Jun 24, 2011, 11:27:
Since they began introducing new unlockable weapons, the game just isn't as well balanced. I wish they would make a "classic" mode were no custom/unlockable weapons/items are allowed.

Do I really need to breakdown the opinions of balance with someone that clearly doesn't even play the game?

No, I don't think so. Relax. Just because you like to wade in the cesspool doesn't mean we all have to.

If hundreds of hours of play time means I "clearly don't play the game," then go ahead and break it down.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Saints Row: The Third Trailer
9. Re: Saints Row: The Third Trailer Jun 24, 2011, 18:07 jimnms

Am I the only one that didn't find this appealing? The world seemed kind of sterile. He walked around and beat people up and no one seemed to notice or care. I like that in GTA pedestrians fight back or at least run away. It looks like in SR, the only time they acknowledge your existence is if you dance or do burnouts in front of them.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 24, 2011, 12:50 jimnms

My Logitech G500 has 10 buttons total, all programmable with the SetPoint software, but I mostly only use three or four in games. I too don't rest a finger on the middle mouse button either, the G500's middle button tilts to each side as a programmable button, as well as can be pressed as a button. I set the tilt to act as the middle button because if I use it for a game, it's quicker just to slide a finger over and nudge it sideways than lift a finger, move it over and press it.

However, on this five-fingered mouse, it looks like it has 6 axes to use. Imagine the possibilities for games. You could have separate axes for looking around and for aiming. Think about playing a game like Penumbra or Amnesia with this. One axis for looking, and a separate axes for each hand. It could work, or it could be too complicated.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Goes Free-to-Play
37. Re: Team Fortress 2 Goes Free-to-Play Jun 24, 2011, 08:11 jimnms

Jerykk wrote on Jun 24, 2011, 03:08:
There are some overpowered items, yes, But then, there were overpowered items in vanilla TF2 as well (sticky grenades and level 3 turrets, for example).

The original TF2 was very well balanced. I don't think the Pyro originally had the air blast, but that was a good addition since you could use it to blast the sticky bombs out of the way. Before then, the Heavy could use his gun to shoot the stickies and make them roll away. I think any class with a shotgun could do it too, but only one sticky at a time. A lot of people didn't know that, and I believe they removed that after adding a new weapon to a class that would allow them to re/move stickies.

A good spy was a counter to a level 3 sentry, or a heavy + medic with uber. Since the introduction to the

Since they began introducing new unlockable weapons, the game just isn't as well balanced. I wish they would make a "classic" mode were no custom/unlockable weapons/items are allowed.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Skyrim Map as Preorder Bonus
30. Re: Skyrim Map as Preorder Bonus Jun 23, 2011, 20:38 jimnms

StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 23, 2011, 19:51:

Why? You don't think a fucking huge game like this is worth $60?

Not when I can get it for $20-$30 6 months later and after most of the bugs have been patched out.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Skyrim Map as Preorder Bonus
27. Re: Skyrim Map as Preorder Bonus Jun 23, 2011, 19:34 jimnms

I pre-ordered from Amazon since you don't have to pay until it ships, but if they stick to the $60 PC price I will cancel before it ships.  

Steam Profile

1. Netflix Quietly Helps Capped U.S. Broadband Users Jun 23, 2011, 18:08 jimnms

I wish they would let you set it on a per play basis rather than globally on your account. For instance, if I watch a movie on my netbook, which can't handle HD, I'd like to be able to choose a lower quality.

My HTPC can play Blu-ray disks, but since Silverlight doesn't do hardware video acceleration, the HD streams choke on it. It used to play fine when they first started offering HD streaming, but I guess they've upped the bitrate. I can see when I start watching a movie on it, it starts out in SD, then when the first level of HD kicks in it's still fine, but when it finally gets to the full bitrate it begins to stutter.

I've noticed when watching through my browser that sometimes it has an HD toggle on some movies but not all. The built in Netflix player for Windows Media Center doesn't have any way to change it.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
5. Re: Mozilla retires Firefox 4 Jun 22, 2011, 23:31 jimnms

Firefox 5 should be 4.0.2, that's why they're not supporting Firefox 4 anymore. It would be like supporting Firefox 3.6.17 now that 3.6.18 is out.

Mozilla is starting to piss me off. I used to participate on the Mozilla help forums every now and then. There were a few different posts with complaints about some changes, and when the official responses were that they weren't going to fix it because that's the way Chrome does it, I quit hanging out there. I don't know why they want Firefox to be like Chrome. If I wanted to use Chrome, I wouldn't be using Firefox.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Jun 22, 2011, 23:16 jimnms

Who came up with that name? That doesn't sound like somewhere I'd want to eat.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
7. Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 22, 2011, 09:23 jimnms

I don't like how Firefox is trying to bump up their version number for no real reason. This should have been Firefox 4.0.2.  

Steam Profile

2063 Comments. 104 pages. Viewing page 43.
< Newer [ 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo