Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2063 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 12, 2011, 18:09 jimnms

zerobytes wrote on Jul 12, 2011, 17:21:
Only problem I have with Windows is the price. I paid $100 for an OEM that I won't be able to use when I decide to upgrade my mainboard. It's a necessary toll that has to be paid to MS.
Sure you can. You're not supposed to, but you can. I used the same XP OEM license through three complete system builds. The activation database flushes out old data somewhere around 3-6 months. I never once had to call MS when installing it on my new/upgraded system.

Steam Profile
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > L4D2 DLC This Month
8. Re: L4D2 DLC This Month Jul 12, 2011, 08:45 jimnms

Wallshadows wrote on Jul 12, 2011, 00:07:
I hope it's better than the Cold Stream garbage which still appears as beta.

I played it when it was first released a few times, but never survived the finale. I played it again a few days ago to get the summer achievement and the finale was different.

I like the campaign, but it does need more tweaking. It's different, and most people I've played it with tried to play it like a regular level, which it's not. You can't stop because the infected don't stop coming.

When I got the achievement, it was the first time I survived. In the earlier beta you had to run through a dense forest to get to the rescue helicopter. Every time I got to it, no one stuck together, so it was every man for himself. It's different now. It's almost too easy compared to the rest of the campaign. I actually think I liked the old one better.

There is one part that really needs to be tweaked. The part where you run into the storm drain and have to go down the stairs. That part is different than I remembered too. I don't remember it being so dark. The first run through trying to get the achievement, everyone missed the turn and fell off the ledge at the end. When we made a go the 2nd time around, there were just too many infected coming up the stairs as we tried to go down, and it was too damn dark. Only two of us made it to the safe room, me with one health and one other person. Did I mention we were playing on easy difficulty?

Steam Profile

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 11, 2011, 14:55 jimnms

kanniballl wrote on Jul 11, 2011, 10:12:
Odd semi-related question...

Are wild cherry Icee's supposed to be red?

I went to the movie theater the other week for Green Lantern, and figured I'd get a cherry Icee since I haven't had one in a while. It was white and tasted a little funny.
I have and odd semi-related beverage experience. I stopped by a McDonalds to grab a vanilla latte once. I was on my way home, so I didn't take a sip of it until I got home. When I took my first sip, something wasn't right. I couldn't quite figure it out, so I took another sip. Sometimes they forget the vanilla, but that wasn't it. This time they not only forgot the vanilla, they forgot the coffee, so all I had was a cup of steamed milk.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 11, 2011, 13:25 jimnms

I think I'm done with Mozilla, and the stupid version numbering is just the last straw. Since they decided to start hyping up their version numbers, the quality of their products has gone down. They introduced a "feature" back in 3.6.xx that is completely annoying, and there are a lot of people complaining about it on the various help forums. It wasn't fixed in Firefox 4 or 5.

Now they've practically made Thunderbird unusable after jumping from version 3 to 5. The went overboard with the aero glass, so much that if you have a dark background, the menu and buttons are unreadable. Just look at this.

Steam Profile

News Comments > On Sale
28. Re: On Sale Jul 11, 2011, 01:19 jimnms

Creston wrote on Jul 10, 2011, 22:41:
Yeah, but I could have sworn there was a minimum level to each of them. I guess they changed that with the last patch that made playthrough 2.5 always scale everything to your level +1. (as opposed to everything being level 60-61.)
Some of them do. The zombie island has a minimum level requirement of 10 and you have to have completed the main story up to a certain mission. The Secret Armory of General Knox missions start at level 35. You can travel there, but it will be quite hard to do anything with a low level character. Mad Moxxi and Claptrap Revolution scale to your character.

I bought two copies last time it was on sale for $7.50 and gave the other to a friend. I played a couple of hours of SP with a soldier, then we've played nothing but coop since. My friend picked soldier, so instead of two soldiers running around, I started a new hunter character for coop. It worked out great since I have a class mod that provides team health regen and he has one that provides team ammo regen. I don't know how we would have gotten through the Mad Moxxi without that. We beat all of the small tournaments and one of the large ones. We worked all damn day and got to round 18, but we were so exhausted we got knocked back to 15. We didn't know if you could leave and come back where you left off, so we just left out systems running overnight and picked back up the next day.

Steam Profile

News Comments > On Sale
18. Re: On Sale Jul 10, 2011, 21:06 jimnms

What do I do with all these extra tickets. The only two games I have to redeem prizes for were TF2 and Portal 2. There are a couple I don't have and may get one day, so what would happen if I were to redeem tickets for a prize to a game I don't have?  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Steam Top 10
2. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 10, 2011, 16:35 jimnms

Why can't you?  

Steam Profile

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale Jul 10, 2011, 16:27 jimnms

I was able to control myself. I only bought one game, Universal Sandbox. I was tempted to get the Fallout: New Vegas DLC at $3 each, but I'm not going to play them until I finish the vanilla game first. I also though I read somewhere that there were 2 or 3 more in the works, so I'll just wait until they're all out and get them as a bundle.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 9, 2011, 23:27 jimnms

nin wrote on Jul 9, 2011, 18:41:
Hell, I got borderlands for like $20 a long time ago on steam and it was a total rip off.
I bought Borderlands GOTY for $7.50 during the last sale. I bought a copy for a friend too, and it's been more than worth the price. We've played over 120 hours on it so far. I don't think it would be an enjoyable single player game, but playing it with a friend or two or three is a blast. Make sure you take a tour of the Worlds Largest Bullet, it's worth every penny.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 8, 2011, 16:46 jimnms

So is anonymous admitting that the people arrested were members by retaliating?  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 7, 2011, 20:13 jimnms

The main reason for asking you to put away electronic devices during takeoff and landing is for safety, not interference with navigation systems. If there is an emergency during takeoff or landing and the plane crashes, you don't need a bunch of laptops and iPads flying around the cabin like missiles.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Fallout New Vegas Patched
11. Re: Fallout New Vegas Patched Jul 7, 2011, 09:17 jimnms

I had a little time to check it out. I sort of still remember what I was doing when I quit playing. I was knocking out several quests in one trip, but stopped when I ran into one that I couldn't complete. My last save is right in front of one of the people I'm supposed to talk to, but there are still no dialog options for the quest when I speak to him.

It's not an important quest, and there's a fix for it posted at NV Nexus. That's not why I quit playing, it just happened to be at the same time they put the Boone breaking patch out.

Boone still doesn't act right. They fixed him somewhat, at least he doesn't constantly holster his weapon in a fight now, but whenever I go near an enemy that has spotted us but isn't attacking, he takes out his gun, runs circles around me, pointing his gun in my face, grunting and saying "you're mine" over and over.

I had some earlier quests I put off because of bugs. I have a ton of active quests open, so I'll have to get more time to play and see if those have been fixed or not. I wrote notes down, hopefully I can find it after all this time.

I probably won't be playing it until after I finish some other games I started to pass the time until NV got fixed.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Fallout New Vegas Patched
7. Re: Fallout New Vegas Patched Jul 7, 2011, 00:52 jimnms

I haven't fired it up yet, but I was glad to read in another forum that they did in fact fix the weight of the 12.7mm rounds. I figured they were going to wimp out and not fix it because people might cry and throw a fit when they find themselves over encumbered after the patch for carrying thousands of rounds of the stuff. Anyone playing hardcore shouldn't be complaining though.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 6, 2011, 12:21 jimnms

What I find stupid is that a few years ago Jeppesen came out with an electronic tablet device for navigation charts and manuals. After R&D and jumping through hoops to get FAA certification it ended up costing a couple of thousand bucks. Now the iPad comes along and gets a free pass without any testing and certification. There must be some Apple fanboys at the FAA.

I have seen the Amazon kindle used by general aviation pilots. I think it would be better suited to the job because of the non glaring e-ink display and longer battery life.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Fallout New Vegas Patch This Week
17. Re: Fallout New Vegas Patch This Week Jul 6, 2011, 10:18 jimnms

Acleacius wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 04:04:
Yeah that's a nice bunker home. You should also check out Underwater Home and of course Willow probably the best written, acted and voiced companion I seen in most games. It's certainly professional quality, with several very well done quest lines.
I remember seeing that bunker for Fallout 3, but it must have been a way earlier version because it didn't have the gun wall and a lot of the other stuff. There are a couple a similar mods for the Lucky 38 suite that seems more fitting for NV:

Lucky 38 High Roller Suite
Lucky 38 Suite Reloaded

Steam Profile

14. Re: Fallout New Vegas Patch This Week Jul 6, 2011, 10:03 jimnms

Jerykk wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 04:45:
After a month, you probably should have just downloaded the community patch.

I think it was better that I didn't since the community patch hasn't been updated since the last patch. It looks like it's no longer being maintained. I spent the time playing another game of Fallout 3 GOTY and knocked some other games off of my back log of unplayed games bought on sale.

I'm sure after all DLC is released and the last patch is put out, there will be an unofficial patch to take care of any leftover bugs like there has for all past Fallout games.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jul 6, 2011, 05:04 jimnms

I'm not advocating banning anything from anyone, but John Stewart made a good point on the Daily Show the other day. He showed a clip from what looked like a new Mortal Combat game of a two guys pulling a woman's legs and ripped her in half at from the crotch up. That is protected free speech, but if her nipple slipped out while being torn in half, it would be banned. Why is violence OK and considered free speech, but nudity isn't? Why are kids not allowed to see or rent violent movies, but violent games are OK?

I don't think the government should ban any of it, I think parents should, you know, be parents and choose what they want their kids to see/play.

Steam Profile

News Comments > New Via Digital Distribution
1. Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition Jul 6, 2011, 04:52 jimnms

What's different from the regular Street Fighter IV? I have Regular Street fighter IV: Nothing Special Edition. It was a freebie that I got from the NVIDIA booth at QuakeCon in 2009. I was a paper certificate with a Steam code on it. I didn't care for the game and figured I'd sell it on eBay.

I put it on my desk, it got buried, and forgot about it. When I found it, I was going to put it up on eBay until I noticed it had an expiration date. I plugged the code into Steam hoping I could see if it was still good and cancel before adding it to my account, but it activated and now I'm stuck with it. I never installed it, but I figured I'd get around to it one day.

Steam Profile

8. Re: Fallout New Vegas Patch This Week Jul 6, 2011, 04:03 jimnms

That is a lot of fixes, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Fixed crashes in Ultra-Luxe
It's about fucking time, that has been like that since release.

Fixed instance where Boone would constantly holster his rifle in combat if player had lost rep with the NCR.
Once again, about fucking time. I hope this really fixes him, but I'm worried. Losing rep with NCR isn't what causes the bug. I had not lost any rep with the NCR, it started doing it right after the previous patch.

Fixed bug where rescued Powder Gangers would return to the legion camp.
I'm glad they fixed this. It wasn't a game breaker, but it was kind of an immersion breaker. They need to make the Legion attack you if you rescue them too. I just walked into the camp, untied them and they began walking out, all while the Legion soldiers watched and did nothing to stop me. I poked around their camp, snagging anything that wasn't tied down, and some that was. Then I go to leave and see the powder gangers walk back into the camp and sit down by the fire.

Added recipe so player can now break down 12.7mm ammo.
What about fixing the 12.7mm weight? There is an extra zero after the decimal place in the GECK, so it weighs 0.0064, which is less than the weight of .22LR rounds at 0.0076.

I wish they'd add the ability to break down custom ammo. I know there's a mod for it, but it should be part of the game. Early in my game after I finally got a 20ga shot gun, I began to break down all shotgun ammo I found (12ga and 20ga) and made 20ga slugs. Then I get a 12ga shotgun and find I can't break down those custom 20ga slugs and make 12ga slugs (I had plenty of 12ga shells). Rather than let it go to waste, I gave the lever action shotgun and all of my 20ga slugs to Boone. It didn't take him long to use them, being a trigger happy psycho.

Inventory will now show cumulative weight of item stacks instead of weight of a single item.
Sweet, I posted this on a wish list thread at their forums.

Repair kits can no longer repair to 100% condition.
WTF? Why?

NPCs will now play face cards on player’s stack in Caravan.
Maybe this will actually make Caravan challenging and not a get rich quick game. Nobark in Novac always had plenty of caps to take.

I hope they also fixed the betting bug where it doesn't subtract your bet, but when you win you're still paid 2x your bet? For instance, you only have 100 caps, you bet your 100 caps and win, you get paid 200 caps and now have a total of 300 caps in your pocket.

I really want to get back to this game. I had too many quests that I couldn't finish because of bugs. At first I didn't let them stop me, I just ignored them hoping they would get fixed, and would come back to them. I think some of them have been fixed in the last patch and it looks like a few might get fixed in this patch (I would have to load up my game to refresh my memory of them all). There are still one that I know of that isn't fixed and I didn't see it in this list. It was a quest given by the NCR at camp McCarran. You have to go talk to three people and try to get them to agree to trade supplies. However, when you go talk to these people there are no dialog option for the quest.

What finally made me "shelf" the game was when they released the Boone breaking patch. Someone found the problem and put a fix on NV Nexus, but I figured it was such big a screw up that there would be another patch soon. I was wrong, it took 6 months for the next patch and it still didn't fix him. I hope they get it right this time.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto IV Graphics Mod
9. Re: Grand Theft Auto IV Graphics Mod Jul 5, 2011, 17:10 jimnms

The site finally loaded and I downloaded the file. As long as it took, I was expecting a 200MB file, not a 2MB one. It doesn't look like it works with EFLC. The readme says it only works on patch 4 (patch 7 is the latest), so if you have it on Steam, you're SOL.

I have it on disk, but I can't use it because I'm using patch 7. I'm not re-installing and using patch 4 either because it was patch 5 or 6 that finally fixed the key binding problems I was having that was making playing the game hell for me. Patch 7 also looks and runs better for me.

Some of the screen shots people have posted in the comments don't look all that great. The video looks good only because he's using a lot of other mods at the same time. It looks like this mod just changes some lighting and colors.

Also from the readme:
This version uses the 0.082 DLL as a base
Which means :

Overheating of videocards NVidia GF8800, high end from GF2xx series and most from GF4xx, GF5xx

Be careful.

No one is responsible if you have any hardware problems.
Just try to avoid overheating using a better fan.

So I'll pass.

Steam Profile

2063 Comments. 104 pages. Viewing page 42.
< Newer [ 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo