Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2170 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Screenshots
1. Back to Karkand Oct 29, 2011, 09:24 jimnms

What is the deal with the Back to Karkand DLC? I have it from a pre-order, but when I filter only servers running Back to Karkand there never are any.  

Steam Profile
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Previews
12. Re: Morning Previews Oct 28, 2011, 16:45 jimnms

Creston wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 15:34:
Not in the zones all near you, no. If you ventured out far enough at low level, you could run into (admittedly low level versions) of Deathclaws or Super Mutants, which generally tended to make your life fairly miserable.

New Vegas basically didn't scale. It just put bad shit in out of the way areas, and if you were foolish enough to walk there, a Ghoul Reaver would come and show you why little peons like you should stick to the main road.

The only places I can think of that were dangerous for a low level character in Fallout 3 were the deathclaw infested Old Olney and the scripted super mutant behemoth encounter west of the Jury Street Metro. FO3 seemed weird that fresh out of the vault you could wander around at level 2 and only run into molerats and bloatflies, but when you level up and wander the same areas you start seeing yao guai, deathclaws and giant radscorpions.

I prefer the way New Vegas does it over Fallout 3 where certain level creatures populate certain areas, so trying to venture to certain places early on is asking for death.

Steam Profile

10. Re: Morning Previews Oct 28, 2011, 15:26 jimnms

Creston wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 13:13:
PHJF wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 13:08:
So is this going to have the same stupid-ass leveling system that punishes players who don't want to grind for 5/5/5 stats?

No. It'll feature a system similar to Fallout 3's. It'll kill you if you wander into a high-end zone too early (as it should), but if you're of medium level and you go back to an easy zone, you'll lay waste to everything in there. (as you should.)

Creston

Do you mean Fallout New Vegas? Fallout 3 scaled the world to the player. You would never see anything spawn in the wasteland that could easily kill you (deathclaws, giant radscorpions, etc.) at early levels.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. BF3 Performance Oct 28, 2011, 12:51 jimnms

I installed the nvidia 285.62 driver when I installed BF3. I finished the SP campaign and played about an hour of MP last night. I just left it at the auto setting, which put the texture quality at ultra and everything else at high. I don't know what my frame rate is, but it runs smooth. I might try bumping it up, but I ran into a problem with the 285.62 driver. It seems when I try to play any recorded HDTV in media center or media player, I just get a black screen and the sound (SDTV still plays). I rolled back to the old 280.26 driver and that problem was solved.

I fired up a SP mission in BF3 to see if it would work on the old driver, and it does even though it bitches at me when it starts that I need 285.38 or later. It seemed fine, but MP maps might be more taxing on the video driver than the smaller SP levels. There are a lot of posts about this on the NVIDIA forums, so I may try the 285.38 beta drivers which everyone says works for them. How could something like that get past testing?

Steam Profile

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Why hasn't Yahoo been acquired yet? Oct 28, 2011, 12:01 jimnms

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 10:58:
I'm not surprised at Yahoo not being purchased, they missed their window. However, their mail service still has a feature I don't get from Gmail. Disposable email addresses. I wish Gmail would get that so I could drop my Yahoo mail account.

If and when Yahoo is bought, I suspect I'll lose that nice feature, and I will mourn the loss.

Is that a premium feature or something recent? I quit using Yahoo email years ago, but I pretty much used it as a disposable address already. I use a boxbe.com address for sites that I don't want to give my real address to, although I've been having a problem with it for the past week. I've got a legit email that for some reason it flagged as suspicious and when I tell it to forward it never does.

Steam Profile

2. Re: Morning Previews Oct 28, 2011, 11:55 jimnms

Elser Scrolls?  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Game Reviews
19. Re: BF3 reviews Oct 26, 2011, 20:19 jimnms

I still haven't played MP and probably wont get to until this weekend. The SP is OK, but they should have just kept it MP only and used that time improving other things. I'd rather be able to play offline with bots like in 1942 and BF2 so I can explore the maps and get used to the helicopter and jet controls before I jump into a MP game. I'm hoping there is a helicopter part in the SP campaign so I can at least know my controls are set up right for it when I do get on a MP server.

The way the game launches and works seems totally cluster fucked. I click the BF3 icon, it launches Origin, then launches my web browser. That is two extra memory hogging things that I shouldn't need to have running while playing a game. Right now Firefox is eating up almost a gig of ram, counting firefox.exe and plugin-container.exe. I usually restart the browser first though, which cuts it down to ~200MB. I have Steam and Origin both running and minimized right now. Origin is using up just over 100MB, which is a lot compared to Steam. Steam.exe and the SteamService.exe combined are using only 35MB.

Why do I need to launch my game with a web browser? What happens when Mozilla updates Firefox and the plugin is deemed incompatible?

This comment was edited on Oct 26, 2011, 20:48.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
7. Re: Hotel Wifi Oct 26, 2011, 20:12 jimnms

I don't understand hotels. A few years ago I stayed at a Hilton for one of my sister's wedding. We were already paying $200 per night on a fucking group rate, but they wanted $30 a day for wifi, $15 a day to park and the restaurant was ridiculous. I didn't eat there, I just looked at the menu. I joked with my uncle that I was afraid to take a shit because they were probably charging me to flush the toilet.

In my experience, the more expensive the hotel is, the more they rape you by charging for little things. When you stay at a Holiday Inn Express type hotel for $100ish a night, you get a fridge, a microwave, free breakfast and wifi. When I stay at a hotel that is twice the price, I don't get a fridge or microwave, I have to pay to park there and they charge for wifi. Hell I see signs along the highway for Motel 6 for $29/night saying free wifi.

I occasionally have to go out of town for a weekend or half week + weekend, and we usually get put up at a Courtyard. There was one we regularly stayed at that was closed for renovation the last time, but we stayed there a couple of months ago now that they're open again. The only difference I noticed was they removed the continental breakfast bar and made room for more tables and charged for breakfast. It was the same shit that was on the free continental breakfast bar, but now it was $15. I don't pay for the room, so I can't really complain. We are responsible for our meals, so I just went to an IHOP that was right down the street. I did see the bill when they slip it under the door. It used to be $89/night and was now $110/night.

Steam Profile

9. Re: Morning Previews Oct 26, 2011, 19:32 jimnms

Creston wrote on Oct 26, 2011, 17:37:
When I played an evil walkthrough, it just grated on my fucking nerves that I had to help the stupid shits just to get through their four foot high gate, when I could have just shot all of them in the damn face and been on my way to Vault 18 (or whatever number it was) in less than five minutes.

Creston

There is a mod to make the little shits killable.

I always wondered how that place stayed populated if they kicked out kids when they get too old. Where did new kids come from? Unless they go out stealing babies or people know about the place and drop their kids off there to be safe, the place wouldn't last long.

This comment was edited on Oct 26, 2011, 19:37.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Battlefield 3
91. Re: Ships Ahoy - Battlefield 3 Oct 26, 2011, 05:46 jimnms

Viranth wrote on Oct 26, 2011, 02:32:
I died ONCE on that mission, other than that I don't understand what you are doing. Just stay behind cover and shoot the bad guys, don't stay out in the open, apparantly they can aim

I think the SP is pretty cool, somewhat like COD yes, but it's much better directed I think, and the action is fun.

The multiplayer is good as well, been playing a bit. Seems to be some lag on some servers, wish there was a way of filtering out laggy servers (even though they have good ping).

Sure, if you're playing on easy, I'm playing on the hardest level. Did the friendly AI drop dead on you in certain places? At one point, when assaulting the 2nd MG nest, I stayed back trying to figure out wtf the guy was talking about using the canals for cover. Eventually the friendly AI took out the MG nest on their own, then a few seconds later they die. Nobody shoots them, they just drop dead. Did you get any intermediate waypoints between taking out the 2nd MG nest and assaulting the buildings? Because the waypoint it gives me, you have to go in the opposite direction, by some rocks, up a hill turn around and go through a little forest before you get there. It's a little confusing when every friendly AI dies for no reason, and the jerk yelling at you to get up there and assault some buildings is already there, which is behind me. I didn't see anyone go up there, and there's a dozen enemy to fight through to get to the friendly AI that is alive.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Battlefield 3
88. Re: Ships Ahoy - Battlefield 3 Oct 26, 2011, 02:23 jimnms

I've only tried the SP so far. I wanted to get my keys set up and get a feel for it. The SP is CODish, and frustrating as fuck in parts. The save points could be better placed in some, and one had to have been bugged. I can't remember the name of the mission, but it starts out climbing over a wall, running down a hill to a canal. There's a few bad guys at the bottom then some MG nests. I must have restarted that a hundred times, and a few times I almost put my fist through my monitor.

Right at the start, I was up near the top of the hill picking off baddies, then I run down to the guy I'm supposed to be following. There are a couple of other friendlies in front and a couple behind me, and they just drop dead. I follow the other guy, we run up some stairs and someone yells for us to put some cover fire on a MG nest. I drop prone and kill the three guys in it and another that runs up. The enemy are all dead, but the guy in front of me drops dead. Some new friendlies come from behind and blow it up with a grenade.

Then another MG nest opens up on you, and someone yells to get some fire on it and something about using the canals. I run over and jump into the canal, but there's no where to go. I go back around and move up to the wall and toss a grenade over and it blows up, but a MG in a building up the hill to my right opens up and kills me. Eventually I get the second MG nest taken care of and find a place where I can't get killed.

This is where it gets buggy. As soon as the second MG nest blows up, all the friendlies drop dead. Then I think it skips a few waypoints because now I'm hearing someone yell about clearing out the buildings, and the waypoint is behind me and up that hill. I run around like an idiot trying to figure out how to get up there. Then I find it only to get mowed down by another MG nest in the distant buildings.

After several restarts I finally get back to that point. Now there are a bunch of enemies on the path I need to take, and I have to do it alone because the friendly IA drop dead after that MG nest gets blown up. Now I'm running up the hill and 4 guys jump over the wall firing guns. I drop down an start firing back only to get bitched at that friendly fire won't be tolerated. Where the fuck were these assholes 5 minutes ago when I was alone?

Steam Profile

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 25, 2011, 20:00 jimnms

Even WinRAR had a 64bit version out 2 years or more ago.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Community Town Hall Summit
38. Re: Battlefield 3 Community Town Hall Summit Oct 24, 2011, 14:56 jimnms

Bhruic wrote on Oct 23, 2011, 23:45:
BF3 is not an Origin exclusive. It just requires Origin to be running in order to play the game. Plenty of other digital distributors sell it, with the notable exception of Steam.

In that vein, it's just like most Steamworks games, they can be sold by other DDs, but they require Steam to be running to play them.

Did you not read anything I posted? I bought mine from Amazon's digital service. I got a key to plug into Origin, so it is Origin exclusive because it downloads through Origin. The Origin client is not like Steam, it is only a downloader and it does not run in the background when you launch the game. The game is already installed, and I can launch it. It doesn't let you play it because it has a release date check when it starts, but Origin does not start up with it like Steam does when trying to start a Steamworks game.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Community Town Hall Summit
22. Re: Battlefield 3 Community Town Hall Summit Oct 23, 2011, 22:41 jimnms

Icewind wrote on Oct 23, 2011, 18:41:
Shame this game is exclusive to Origin. I won't support Origin at all.

I decided to give it a try. The $40 Amazon deal helped. I don't like that it's exclusive to Origin, and I don't see why it has to be. The only thing making it Origin exclusive is EA not letting other digital distributors sell it. I was thinking they were going to be using a client app like Steam to launch the games. The Origin client is nothing but a downloader, the game installs and runs on its own without the Origin client needing to be running. It even has the option of saving the install files, so I assume you could install it offline later without needing to re-download anything through Origin. I wonder if I could uninstall Origin and if BF3 would still work.

I was hoping Origin had something like VAC, but no, it still uses shitty punkbuster. In a few years it will be nothing but cheaters playing like what happened to BF2.

Once they rake in the profits for the first month or so, I bet EA will allow other digital distributors to sell it.

Steam Profile

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: The 10 Greatest MS-DOS Games of All Time… Oct 22, 2011, 21:26 jimnms

That's kind of a stupid list to make. MS-DOS was around for a long time, and lots of games ran on it (and the other MS-DOS alternatives).  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution - The Missing Link
25. Re: Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution - The Missing Link Oct 19, 2011, 17:49 jimnms

StingingVelvet wrote on Oct 19, 2011, 14:07:
I find it amusing that the stuff you get from XP you say was useless, but then you still went way out of your way and altered your play style just to farm said useless XP. You DO have OCD! You do get XP from headshots though, which is a bonus for lethal that equals the non-lethal bonus. The only unbalanced thing is the ghost bonus really, and you can get that lethally as long as you use silenced weapons.

I didn't "farm" the XP system, I discovered it doing the mission where you have to get into that abandoned warehouse that turns out to be the FEMA place. Once I snuck past everyone and reached the elevator, it triggered the end of that part of the mission, and gave me the bonuses for ghost, etc. I realized there was still unexplored places, and I wanted to go back to the guy at the beginning of the level and sell some crap. After triggering the end of the mission, it didn't matter if you were spotted or an alarm went off because you already had your bonuses. I obviously didn't do that because I got the achievement for not setting off alarms. I did sneak back out to explore the rest of the map, knocking people out along the way.

And you don't get the same XP for going lethal or non lethal. A non lethal take-down gives you 50 XP, and a head shot with the tranquilizer gives you a total of 40 XP. A head shot with a gun gives you 20 XP.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Patched
5. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Patched Oct 18, 2011, 23:49 jimnms

I did run into a bug that crashed the game if you tried to examine one of the quest items. That was listed as a fix in the previous patch though. I did find one quest that wouldn't mark a part of the quest as complete and show you the next part, but it didn't stop the quest from being completed. You just didn't get a mark on your map telling you exactly where to go to do the next part, which is the way they all should have been.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution - The Missing Link
12. Re: Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution - The Missing Link Oct 18, 2011, 23:39 jimnms

I finished DX:HR over the weekend. It took me 89 hours, but I'm a bit OCD and have to make sure I explore every inch. It was one of the better games of recent years, but I was left disappointed by it.

A lot of the augments were useless, and I saved my praxis points until I needed them. At one point I had 14 unused point, so I went ahead and fully upgraded dermal armor for the stupid boss battles, and the cloaking thing even though I'd made it that far without using it. I wasn't going for a pacifist run, but I was doing stealth and non-lethal because you get more XP. By the end of the game I had 9 unspent points. I never upgraded the battery things because I got by just fine with the single re-generating cell. I did upgrade the regen speed of unused cells though. I carried 5 of those energy bar things with me, and if I came across another one I just ate it. I never found a place where I needed more than two cells.

I felt the whole take-down system kind of ruins the game and made the stun gun completely useless. First, why bother with having a lethal or non lethal option? You get more XP for a non-lethal take-down and there is no down side to using it, but using the lethal take-down causes any enemy on the map to hear it. They should have reversed it, have the lethal take-down quick and silent, but the non-lethal take-down louder. That would make doing a pacifist run much more challenging and make the stun gun useful.

It was also way too easy to get XP. After finishing a mission stealthily and getting the bonuses, you could turn around, go back and kill everyone for more XP.

Hacking was too easy, and the stop worms and nuke viruses were useless. The only time I used one was by accident, and I had over a hundred of each by the end of the game.

Then there was the endings. My biggest (maybe only) complaint about the original Deus Ex was that you get right to the end to make your choice, but it wasn't as lame as walking into a room and being told push this button for this ending, or push this button for this ending... The second Deus Ex, as flawed as it was, wasn't as bad as a lot of people make it out to be. One thing it almost got right was the way the endings played out. Depending on which side you worked with more earlier in the game changed the way the final level played, but you could still change your mind and pick a different side at the last minute.

I've started another game, but this time I'm just going to run and gun through it and find all 29 of the XP books. I think I only missed one, and I know where it is. I saw it, but I couldn't get to it and after I cleared the way I forgot to go back for it. After that I'll play one more time on the hardest difficulty and go for the pacifist achievement. I did get the achievement for not setting off any alarms, which surprised me because I thought a turret spotted me and set off an alarm early in the game.

As for the DLC, I think I'll wait for a $5 sale.

Steam Profile

News Comments > XIII Returning Next Month
10. Re: XIII Returning Next Month Oct 17, 2011, 22:59 jimnms

That is really weird. I have the original, box and all sitting on my shelf. For some reason earlier today it caught my eye and I've been thinking about it all day. I was thinking of installing it, but then I thought I remembered the original having starforce on it. Might be worth picking up on GoG either way.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > On Sale
1. Battlefield 3 Oct 12, 2011, 21:20 jimnms

Saw this deal about half an hour ago and pre-ordered it, now the site is giving an error. I wonder if it's getting too much attention. Now I need to cancel my $47 NewEgg pre-order. I still may cancel this one before release because I'm not sure if I'll play it enough. I bought BFBC2 on a Steam sale for $7.50 a while back, but I've only had time to play through the SP and maybe 3 MP games, although each of those MP sessions sucked me in for ~6 hours.  

Steam Profile

2170 Comments. 109 pages. Viewing page 42.
< Newer [ 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo