Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2192 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

News Comments > New NVIDIA Beta Drivers
18. Re: New NVIDIA Beta Drivers Nov 28, 2011, 14:38 jimnms

Agent.X7 wrote on Nov 28, 2011, 14:31:
Did they yank these? They're not appearing on the beta driver page.

Edit: Ah. This beta driver is only for 32-bit Windows, apparently. Doesn't show up when you select 64 bit.

They show up for me when I select Windows 7 64 bit.

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > New NVIDIA Beta Drivers
16. Re: New NVIDIA Beta Drivers Nov 28, 2011, 14:36 jimnms

I usually don't bother with NVIDIA's beta drivers, but after the WHQL 285.62 driver for BF3 killed video playback in WMC and WMP, I've been using beta 285.38 since then. They are working fine, so I didn't bother with 285.79 and I don't think I'll play driver roulette with these either.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > On Sale
15. Re: On Sale Nov 26, 2011, 22:13 jimnms

I was hoping Payday would go on sale, but secretly I was hoping it wouldn't because I feel like I've already got too much to do. I've got a friend that will go in on a 4-pack with me if we can find a couple of people to split the remaining copies with.

I passed on the DX:HR DLC yesterday, the content didn't seem worth the price after getting all of the FNV DLC for a little bit more. Maybe xmas/new years will have a better deal.

I'd like to get the Civ V DLC, but I only paid $11.37 for the game. That makes it hard justifying $14.36 for the DLC (if you buy the bundle packs and the three remaining singles).

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > On Sale
35. Re: On Sale Nov 26, 2011, 05:21 jimnms

OpticNerve wrote on Nov 26, 2011, 04:20:
Send them a quick ticket with their web support thing. They replied within 2 hours and forwarded me though so I didn't have to deal with the phonecall BS. 20% off Skyrim was too good to pass up :]

I did, but but after 2.5 hours I hadn't heard from them. Not knowing when the sale would end, I tried a different payment method and it went through. This was my first purchase with D2D, and I can't say it left a good impression on me.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > On Sale
33. Re: On Sale Nov 26, 2011, 03:02 jimnms

I guess Direct2Drive doesn't want my money. I tried to pre-purchase Trine 2 with the 20% off BF code, and it asks for a phone number to authorize payment. I entered my phone number, but it says it can't process the call. I tried again, entering it with dashes, but I got the same error. Now it says I have reached the failed transaction limit. I'll just wait and see if Steam offers a better pre-order deal before it ships, otherwise $3 isn't that big of a deal.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > On Sale
19. Re: On Sale Nov 25, 2011, 21:53 jimnms

I was hoping Dead Island would be $10. One of my friends that I often play coop games with bought it a while back and doesn't like it, so I can't see paying more than $10 for it to play by myself or with strangers.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Cross-Platform Trine 2
3. Re: Cross-Platform Trine 2 Nov 25, 2011, 21:31 jimnms

Zadig wrote on Nov 25, 2011, 13:08:
I wish I could bring myself to finish the first one, but I can never seem to click "play game" in steam. Something else always gets picked.

Seriously? I got Trine through the Humble Frozenbyte bundle and couldn't play anything else until I finished it. I'm looking forward to some coop Trine.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > On Sale
17. Re: On Sale Nov 24, 2011, 15:57 jimnms

I was about to the FNV DLC yesterday, then noticed it said the sale on those was good until the 28th, not 24 hours, so I decided to wait. It paid off!  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steam Autumn Sale
28. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Nov 23, 2011, 20:25 jimnms

I checked my Steam wishlist to remind myself what I was waiting on. Everything in my wishlist is on sale! Fallout New Vegas DLC is all 50% off today. Didn't they go on sale for 66% once on a one day sale? Also Payday, Dead Island, Red Orchestra 2 and Morrowind are all 33% off.

I'm definitely getting the FNV DLC, and I might as well pick up DNF for $6.79, it probably won't go much cheaper than that. I'll wait and see if Payday, Dead Island, RO2 and Morrowind get better sales. I'm pretty sure I've seen Morrowind on sale before for $5.

Skyrim is going to keep me busy for a long while. I'm 60 hours in and I haven't traveled very far away from Whiterun. I've only finished a couple of the main story quests so far. I was going to finish off one last side quest in Whiterun before heading off to the next part of the main story and meet the Graybeards. I was selling off some loot before heading out when stop by the bar and get challenged to a drinking contest, passed out and woke up in some city far to the west.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Skyrim Patch After Thanksgiving
43. Re: Skyrim Patch After Thanksgiving Nov 19, 2011, 19:02 jimnms

the_culture wrote on Nov 19, 2011, 16:07:
Ozmodan wrote on Nov 19, 2011, 16:02:
Unless they patch the UI it won't help the game very much. Worst UI in an rpg game I have seen in ages. No excuse for such horrid design, it knocks a great game down to just another game.

I agree the UI sucks but I'm pushing through it. I just wish I could re-map the keys properly. I can't even enhance weapons and armor because the E and R keys aren't working.

Looking at some mods right now though...

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=368

MeanJim on Steam

36. Re: Skyrim Patch After Thanksgiving Nov 19, 2011, 15:49 jimnms

The UI isn't that bad. Anyone who says they quit playing the game because of it is missing out. It could certainly use some improvement though. Making the fonts smaller so that you don't have to scroll so much would be a start. I don't think we're going to see as many UI mods as Oblivion and Fallout 3/NV. I extracted the files and they're in swf format now instead of xml.
As far as stability, the game has been very stable for me. The only crashes I've had are from alt-tabbing out of the game since the overlay isn't working.

The game auto detects my system and set the graphics to high. I bumped them up to ultra and it runs fine with no tweaking. There have been very few areas that I noticed a slowdown, usually in a town where I'm in a place overlooking a lot of the city. My system will be 2 years old next week. I've only upgraded the video card, HD and RAM since building it. I'm not overclocking any of it either since I haven't found a game that it can't run maxed out. I don't see why people are overclocking their systems and running overclocked multi-GPU setups when my 2-year old, stock 2.66GHz Core i5 750 with a GTX 470 runs every game that's come out in the past two years on the highest settings.

MeanJim on Steam

34. Re: Skyrim Patch After Thanksgiving Nov 19, 2011, 15:36 jimnms

Creston wrote on Nov 19, 2011, 00:57:
Jim,

Is that fix just for your particular setup, or should it work for everyone's mappings, no matter what they are?

It will work for all setups. I set the menu keys to use the key that is shown on screen instead of what you bound its action to. Think of it now working like Fallout 3/NV's PipBoy where those keys are hard coded and don't change no matter how you set up your keys.

MeanJim on Steam

4. Re: Skyrim Patch After Thanksgiving Nov 19, 2011, 00:32 jimnms

The biggest problem I have is using custom key setups and the interface still telling you to press the default keys. I've already fixed that myself, but the Steam overlay doesn't work if you're not using the default key for it. I think Skyrim is blocking the key or something. I still see the overlay popups when I unlock an achievement or get a message from a friend, but I have to alt-tab out of the game to reply.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Skyrim Ships 7M
31. Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 17, 2011, 03:02 jimnms

Since I was out of town the weekend of release day, I've only got 16 hours in. I'm actually feeling disappointed with the game. I had to modify the game's control map myself because if you use a custom key setup, it was a pain in the ass because the in game interface still displayed the default keys to press for certain actions. My fix is here for anyone interested.

I have only been to two towns so far. After the beginning, I followed that guy to Riverwood. I did a few little things there then headed to Witerun to see the Jarl.

There are a lot of little bugs and things that kind of ruin it for me. When I've talked to some people for the first time, I have dialog options to ask them about things that I don't/shouldn't know about yet. I don't remember specifics off hand, but the last one I was out in the streets of Whiterun at night. There was a guy walking by himself, so I talked to him. My only dialog option was something about overhearing an argument and asking what was going on, which led to him giving me a quest to find something. I had never seen this guy before or overheard an argument.

After I had spoken to the Jarl, I walked around and like a kleptomaniac I took anything that wasn't nailed down. The majority of the stuff wasn't "owned," so it wasn't stealing. But I was in the Jarl's bedroom, in plain sight of the guards steeling shit from drawers, cabinets and wardrobes. They only seem to give a shit if you steal something laying out in the open, but not if you take it from a container.

I'm not too fond of the health regen, it defeats the purpose of food and cooking since it regenerates so fast. There is a console command that can disable it, but in the forum thread where I found out about it, someone said it breaks potions and other items that give you a temporary health regen. I wish they would have made that part of the difficulty system, or better yet, offered a hardcore mode like in Fallout New Vegas. I'm sure mods will take care of this, but why does every damn game that comes out now have to have health regen?

At first I liked that conversations didn't stop the world, but now I wish they did. Too many times have I been trying to talk to someone and had another person walk up and start talking making it impossible to hear either of them.

I also don't like the in-game map. I would rather have a detailed 2D map than this 3D map where I can't make out roads and paths. And I was really pissed off when the pre-order "cloth" map turned out to be a textured paper map.

And there are things that I think Oblivion did better, like the lock picking. I could go on, but I need sleep. Don't get me wrong, I like Skyrim, but it's frustrating because it could be so much better.

MeanJim on Steam

PC Gaming > Skyrim Tweaks/Links/Info, etc
7. Interface Keys Fix Nov 16, 2011, 17:06 jimnms

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=368

If you use custom key bindings, as you probably have discovered, the interface still tells you to press the default key to perform an action, but you need to press the key that you bound that action to instead. It was frustrating the hell out of me, I kept having to look at the manual to find out what the key shown on the interface's default action was to know what key I needed to press to get something done. I edited the games controlmap.txt to fix this. Now the key that shows in the interface does what it's supposed to do instead of the remapped key. I also changed the map scroll to the arrow keys instead of WASD, and + and - on the numpad zoom in/out on the map.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim
11. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 12, 2011, 20:31 jimnms

I can't watch any of the videos because hotel internet sucks, but all of the videos I've seen before of the horse is always in 3rd person. Does it force you into 3rd person when on a horse?  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Skyrim Arrives
18. Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 11:30 jimnms

Come on people, you know the rules, quit feeding the trolls.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Skyrim Reviews
70. Re: Skyrim Reviews Nov 10, 2011, 19:52 jimnms

All of the videos show the horse riding in 3rd person, please tell me they don't force you into 3rd person when riding a horse.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steam Forum Downtime Follow-up; Steam Also Breached
18. Re: Steam Forum Downtime Follow-up; Steam Also Breached Nov 10, 2011, 18:30 jimnms

Techie714 wrote on Nov 10, 2011, 18:05:
2. It would be a good idea for all steam users to take Gabes advice & change your password remember to always use numbers, letters & at least one SYMBOL.

http://xkcd.com/936/

I've used a similar system for passwords that I need to remember and type regularly, for everything else I use Password Safe and generate a different random password for every site.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Skyrim Reviews
26. Re: Skyrim Reviews Nov 10, 2011, 13:49 jimnms

NewEgg just shipped my pre-order from Memphis, TN, which means it will be here tomorrow, but I won't be home until Sunday night. I didn't think it would arrive until Monday. I think I'm going to stay off the internet until I get home.  

MeanJim on Steam

2192 Comments. 110 pages. Viewing page 41.
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo