Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2365 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Machines in November
14. Re: Steam Machines in November Mar 5, 2015, 21:36 jimnms

harlock wrote on Mar 5, 2015, 20:48:
who fucking gives a shit? seriously.. maybe a big gaggle of middle age nerds - but in total, its only a handful of gamers that still care about this

hell most of them dont even know wtf half life is in the first place

you cant go home - take off the rose glasses and move on guys

My 12 year old niece knows what Half-Life is, and I didn't tell her about it. She came over a couple of weeks ago and asked me if I had Half-Life because she wanted to play it. I have my old gaming system set up for her to play games on with her own Steam account and family sharing. I asked her how she knew about Half-Life and she said some kids at school were talking about it.

DangerDog wrote on Mar 5, 2015, 21:05:
Install SteamOS
Play HL3
Reformat system

They'll put in some DRM that checks to check the UEFI make sure it's a licensed Steam Machine.

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Machines in November
8. Re: Steam Machines in November Mar 5, 2015, 20:14 jimnms

Half-Life 3 will be an exclusive title for Steam Machines.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Fallout 4 Announcement at E3?
40. Re: Fallout 4 Announcement at E3? Mar 2, 2015, 21:36 jimnms

Darks wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 15:22:
Kris Redbeard wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 10:46:
As long as it is more like Fallout New Vegas, less like Fallout 3, I'd be happy enough.
Happier still if they stopped using highly-modified GameByro and shifted to <insert modern engine here>.

Oh, hell no! I want city action, underground complexes, Subways and Military bases. Along with an entire underground system to travel through. that was the one very appealing thing for m about Fallout 3. I just love being underground like that and having a topside to run around too. Fallout 4 was very lacking in this area. I totally lost interest after about 50 hours in.

I believe Kris Redbeard is talking more about the writing and quests. FNV's world wasn't as good as FO3, but the rest of FNV was so much better that it made it the better game. FO3's main quest, hell most of the side quests too, were linear with no choice. Find dad, dad dies, work with the BOS and finish dad's work. At no point are you ever given the option to say "fuck dad and fuck the BOS, these Enclave guys rock I'm going to work for them." Compare that to how many options you had for FNV's main quest.

Bethesda does a good job at creating worlds, but they are shit when it comes to filling that world with good branching quests. FFS Skyrim is worse than FO3. I've yet to finish it, though I go back to it from time to time, but the bland story and quests don't hold me long. I have more fun just exploring the world. The majority of the side quests are all linear, go somewhere, do something, come back to collect reward. The main quest, at least as far as I've gotten, is go somewhere, meet someone, do what they say. No options, just a linear story set in an open world.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
11. Re: Saturday Metaverse Mar 1, 2015, 21:26 jimnms

Ant wrote on Mar 1, 2015, 14:10:
The problem is that no one has figured out how to break DRM since it ever came out. Also, what happens when you get a new computer? No way to get the DRM from Unbox. I got two/2 duplicate Unbox announcement e-mails.

Maybe they sent you my announcement. I find it hard to believe the Unbox DRM hasn't been broken since every other DRM out there has been broken.

MeanJim on Steam

9. Re: Saturday Metaverse Mar 1, 2015, 13:52 jimnms

Creston wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 16:59:
I think you need to update in order to get the version that basically allows you to bypass the DRM in it. That's what the article seems to imply anyway:

Update the Amazon Unbox application to the latest version. This version includes a one-time license conversion that will make your videos available within Windows Media Player. Open the Unbox application and there will be an "Upgrade" notification you can use to do this. You can also click the "Settings" option in the Unbox menu and select "Check for Amazon Unbox Upgrades."

I agree, however, that it's still horseshit.

The only thing the update does different is leave the license installed after you uninstall Unbox. Unbox has always downloaded the videos and installed the license for WMP or any other media player that supports the DRM, but if you uninstalled Unbox the license was removed leaving you with useless video files.

Hopefully someone will figure out how to strip the DRM, if they haven't already. I've tried searching for a way, but the top results in Google are links to shady shareware, all with different names but identical in looks, that claims to do it, but I'm not installing that.

But my initial complaint was, as an Unbox user, I didn't get notified. If I had not seen the story linked here, I wouldn't have known.

MeanJim on Steam

4. Re: Saturday Metaverse Feb 28, 2015, 16:18 jimnms

Shok wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 13:53:
That's the price for buying DRM baked in I guess. The same thing could happen if Valve decided to shut down STEAM, however unlikely that would be.

That seems like a tricky situation. You've bought a license to the content, not the content itself. If they shut down the service that allows you to view the content you legally own a license to, where does that leave you?

Creston wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 15:27:
Did you upgrade unbox to the latest version? If so, talk to a CSR.

I only own one thing on Amazon worth $10, so it's not a huge deal to me, but it's still shitty because I actually bought it to view offline before I realized I had to use that crappy unbox bullshit.

No, I haven't used Unbox in a while. I bought a couple of seasons of a TV show when my cable co. dropped the channel that carried it, but last season they got it back so I haven't needed it. I only used it to download the videos. I played them in Windows Media Center on my TV. My connection wasn't good enough to stream them in HD at the time, so I downloaded and watched them when they were done. The downloaded videos are full HD with 5.1 surround but the same show streamed was 720p and 2-channel audio, so this is a big downgrade unless they've upgraded the streaming versions.

I kept the files on my HD even though I can stream them any time from Amazon (or even Netflix now). Fuck it, next time I'll just torrent shit.

MeanJim on Steam

1. Re: Saturday Metaverse Feb 28, 2015, 12:34 jimnms

That article was from Feb. 25th. I've use Unbox to download purchases and didn't get an email. This is a shitty move Amazon, unless this new version strips the DRM out, you'll be unable to play your purchased videos if you ever re-install Windows or copy them to a new PC.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Op Ed
80. Re: Op Ed Feb 28, 2015, 10:19 jimnms

jdreyer wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 22:21:
- Animate female characters to move the way normal women, soldiers or athletes would move.

The reason most games have the same animations for women and men comes down to the cost and time it takes to create separate animations. But how exactly do women move any different to men? No two people move the same no matter what gender.

- Have female characters of various body types
- Include more female characters of color.

What about various male body types and male characters of color? Why just females? Most games that I've played recently have two body types, male and female. Once again, this is a time, cost and performance issue of having several different body models. Now that consoles aren't as antique hardware wise, these things can be possible.

- Include female enemies, but don't sexualize those enemies

Who gets to decide what is considered sexualized? Different people find different things sexual. Some guys women in uniform sexy, so should we not have female cops or soldiers as enemies in games because they can be sexualized?

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > etc., etc.
9. Re: etc., etc. Feb 28, 2015, 00:46 jimnms

I'd kill for these on GOG, and a NOLF3. My original NOLF disks are still on my dusty game shelf that hasn't been touched since, well, Steam, but I can't find my NOLF2 disks.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Out of the Blue
58. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2015, 18:29 jimnms

I saw the dress pic last night on another forum, and I see blue and black. Loading it up in an image editor and analyzing the colors, I can understand how some people would see gold, but can't understand how people are seeing white. The "lighter" dark areas are a dark gold, but the majority of the dark areas are actually brownish orange. There isn't a single pixel of white on the dress though.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Op Ed
34. Re: Op Ed Feb 27, 2015, 13:32 jimnms

HoSpanky wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 12:30:
Her complaint about catwoman is bullshit, does she not KNOW that the character has always BEEN heavily sexualized? Remove that from the game and EVERYONE but her would cry foul.

That reminded me of this response to the shit storm over Spiderwoman's pose on a comic book cover.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: etc. Feb 12, 2015, 16:33 jimnms

Verno wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 12:19:
The last time I watched SVU they had run out of ideas to the point where they were literally entrapping guys straight out of prison with the most fucked up plots I've seen. The writers failed so badly that the cops were often coming off worse than the deviants they were chasing.

tl;dr SVU is a really dumb show so who cares.

I never liked SVU or that other spinoff as much as the original Law & Order. I watched L&O off and on if I was bored and channel surfing (before DVR days). I started watching it regularly right before they decided to end it. I liked how it split the stories from both the cop & investigation part to the court part. SVU and that other one were all cop, no court.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > GOG.com Galaxy Stress Test Tomorrow
4. Re: GOG.com Galaxy Stress Test Tomorrow Feb 12, 2015, 01:06 jimnms

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 00:42:
Galaxy is optional, you don't need to use it at all.

Not for some multi-player games. There is a lot of fit pitching going on about some newer games requiring the Galaxy client and to be logged in to play MP. Without the Galaxy client, being logged in and connected, you can't play MP at all, not even local. This isn't looking good, but hopefully GOG will do the right thing.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: 1,700 RadioShack stores closing soon, some liquidating stock at 50% off. Feb 10, 2015, 18:27 jimnms

Pigeon wrote on Feb 10, 2015, 15:30:
You joke, but there's a good chance items will be more expensive than normal. These things get contracted out to liquidation companies that jack up the normally price items by 200%, then slap a 50% discount on it and stick up a big liquidation banner to draw the suckers in. I remember when Circuit City went out of business I was in the store a few days before they went into liquidation and they had decent prices on things, when I went in a few days later things were way more expensive. A TV went up in price by almost $2k. Thing is people were in there buying crap like no there was no tomorrow, because OMG liquidation sale, these must be the cheapest prices ever.

I remember when CompUSA went under. When the one "near" (~100 miles) me went out of business, I happened to be in the area and passed by it in the early days. I turned around to check it out. The only thing I bought was a Windows Vista Home Premium upgrade that I never opened.

A few weeks later I was in the area again. I thought they had long closed, but there was a banner up saying last day, everything 90% or more off. I went in and got some pretty good loot. I found three toner cartridges for my printer (still have two unopened), a UPS that I'm still using (replaced the battery last year though) and a cable modem that I'm still using. The toner cartridges I think were $4 each, the UPS was $20 and the cable modem was $10.

MeanJim on Steam

2. 1,700 RadioShack stores closing soon, some liquidating stock at 50% off. Feb 10, 2015, 11:45 jimnms

So basically they're reducing prices to normal retail prices?  

MeanJim on Steam

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 6, 2015, 17:54 jimnms

I still prefer to take pictures with my DSLR. I haven't "upgraded" in over 5 years or so because there hasn't been any major improvement in newer cameras. I'm sure smart phones are cutting into sales, especially of point-n-shoot types. I don't have a smart phone, but I do also have a small point-n-shoot camera I carry with me. The same thing for DSLR cameras goes for point-n-shoot cameras, nothing new has come out to make me want to buy a newer one. They're like COD or sports games, newer models are just rehashes of the same thing every year.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > American Truck Simulator Video
8. Re: American Truck Simulator Video Jan 30, 2015, 16:58 jimnms

walrus1 wrote on Jan 30, 2015, 15:03:
I can't seem to find the blog post stating this; however I remember the devs stating that initially ATS will be limited to California, Arizona and New Mexico. The release map will be as big as ETS's is now. Eventually they will add the rest of the U.S. as free and paid DLC. I think they might do Canada as well.

There was a YouTube interview with the devs, but I'm not sure where I saw it. I think it was linked from an update on the official Steam group. They said it's called American truck sim, not USA truck sim, and they do indeed want to cover other countries. They specifically mentioned, IIRC, Canada, Mexico, Brazil and Alaska (yes, I know Alaska isn't a country).

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
23. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 30, 2015, 16:42 jimnms

WaltC wrote on Jan 30, 2015, 10:24:
Industries cannot be "monopolies"...;) That's like saying "The auto-industry monopoly..." The fact that there's an entire industry to service a particular market proves there is no monopoly there.

The can when they slice up their coverage areas and agree not compete with each other. The auto-industry can't do that, but broadband providers can and do. Ford and Chevy could slice up the country into territories and agree not to compete by not selling their vehicles in each other's territory. If you lived in Ford's territory, nothing is stopping you from going outside it and buying a Chevy. If you live in Comcast territory and you're unhappy with them and want to switch, tough shit, it's Comcast or move.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
18. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 30, 2015, 09:41 jimnms

Why couldn't they bump the upload requirement? I don't understand why we have such low upload speeds. I'm currently at 20/2 (when it works). It took 8 fucking hours to upload a 1 hour video to YouTube the other day. They could have at least kept the 1/4 ratio, which would have been 25/6.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel DLC & Patch Warning
6. Re: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel DLC & Patch Warning Jan 27, 2015, 18:21 jimnms

If you haven't applied the update yet, you should still be able to run the game from its .exe. I've done this before to avoid mandatory patches with other games so I could wait for mods to be updated. If the game uses Steamworks, it will detect Steam running and still give you all the Steamworks features, overlay, etc., but bypass the forced update you get when launching from the Steam client.  

MeanJim on Steam

2365 Comments. 119 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo