Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2176 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jun 2, 2014, 11:17 jimnms

What would the government get or need from them? The encryption protocols used by TruCrypt aren't secret. AES is the govt. approved protocol (by the NSA) and Twofish and Serpent are both public domain.  

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Homefront: The Revolution Announced
11. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Announced Jun 2, 2014, 10:38 jimnms

I got the first one for free, but I haven't played it yet. It's on my long and ever-growing to-do list.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition on GOG.com
7. Re: SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition on GOG.com May 29, 2014, 19:06 jimnms

Creston wrote on May 29, 2014, 12:29:
Hmmm... Does anyone know if that traffic mod works with the Gog version?

What traffic mod?

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization May 27, 2014, 21:39 jimnms

jdreyer wrote on May 27, 2014, 13:30:
How-to- Conserve battery power on your iOS devices

Buy an Android?

Turn it off?

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Watch Dogs; First Reviews
60. Re: Ships Ahoy - Watch Dogs; First Reviews May 27, 2014, 20:06 jimnms

The biggest complaint I'm seeing from "real" people is the crappy driving physics. I was worried that the driving would suck from the pre-release videos I saw. I got Saints Row 3 from the Humble Bundle, and while I mostly enjoyed it, I couldn't stand its crappy driving physics (and never ending gear shifting). I watched a few videos on YouTube and the driving does look bad, and practically no damage modeling sucks. One thing I liked doing in GTA IV was using a realistic driving mod, which tweaked the handling and performance of the cars to more closely match their real world inspirations. It also increased the damage to more realistic levels, but it was still too forgiving. I used a vehicle editor and bumped up the damage multiplier so one hard hit would fuck it up good. It made car chases much more intense.

I'm going to wait longer and see if it gets fixed, and probably $25 or less. Hell I'm thinking I may just stop buying games for a year to catch up on my backlog. I doubt they'll change the driving physics in a patch, but maybe it can be modded.

I don't know if this video is from PC or console (http://youtu.be/Oj1UVuNG_Yg) and if it's PC, what the graphics settings are, but the vehicle pop in is horrible. I thought GTA: SA's pop ins were bad.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Intro Movie
18. Re: Wasteland 2 Intro Movie May 26, 2014, 18:39 jimnms

jdreyer wrote on May 25, 2014, 21:27:
From Update 49:

"We knew we shouldn’t spend too much cash, so I got a little creative and took my camera to the Wasteland Weekend. Using that footage, stock footage and some new footage shot with actors, we got an effective opening for less than $30K. The opening cinematic explains the history of the setting and the Rangers before setting up the start of our game."

Heh, another case of monetary restriction providing impetus for creativity.
Thanks. I thought I saw it on KS, but it didn't occur to me to check the most obvious place, the previous updates. I was scouring the forums and their Tumblr pages looking for it.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Intro Movie
12. Re: Wasteland 2 Intro Movie May 25, 2014, 18:27 jimnms

jdreyer wrote on May 25, 2014, 13:56:
Doesn't look like they spent TOO much on this, but surprised that some of the KS money went toward making this.

They didn't spend much at all on it. I thought the details on how it was filmed was on the KS page, but it's not and I can't remember where I read it. It's driving me crazy too, I just spend 30 minutes looking for where I read it. From what I remember, Fargo said he shot it himself with his personal camera and used stock footage of the nuclear blasts and missiles that is free.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
3. Re: Evening Safety Dance May 23, 2014, 21:11 jimnms

Kitkoan wrote on May 23, 2014, 17:57:
WaltC wrote on May 23, 2014, 15:37:
If I was Microsoft I would not bother patching IE 8--what's the point? If people can't or won't download and use a newer free version of IE, then they probably aren't going to download the patch for IE 8, either, so, again, what's the point?

The fix ought to be "download IE 9 or above." Common sense. Microsoft is catering too much to dummies, these days.

Its a political move I think. They don't patch it, and they get a ton more bad press for security, even though people should have upgraded. Look at the flak they got for the first time they tried to retire XP (and the flak they are getting for having retired it now.)

This isn't Apple who can get a free ride for people not upgrading.

I kind of agree with WaltC. Since IE updates come through Windows Update, you kind of have to go out of your way not to upgrade to newer versions of IE. You can't uninstall it from Windows, the option only hides it, but it's still there. I use Firefox, and on my machines running Windows 7 and XP (which I've "uninstalled" IE) I've had to uncheck the IE update and hide it so it quits asking me to install it. Even though I hid the update, every 6 months or so it comes back.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Watch Dogs Videos
34. Re: Watch Dogs Videos May 23, 2014, 19:48 jimnms

Mordecai Walfish wrote on May 23, 2014, 18:31:
So apparently UBI invited a bunch of youtube streamers to play the game early and post videos of it. I found one while I was searching for a recorded video of UBI's official Twitch stream of the game this morning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W11Vnnse4Ac

Am I the only one that finds it painful to watch someone play with a controller?

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Watch Dogs Videos
30. Re: Watch Dogs Videos May 23, 2014, 15:23 jimnms

nin wrote on May 23, 2014, 14:03:
7 minutes to drive across the map...(includes video)

Holy crap the traffic pop in is worse than GTA IV.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 23, 2014, 13:43 jimnms

I've always been kind of OCD about backing up important things. I guess it's because the first (x86) PC I got was my dad's old 386. It had an 80MB HD and an 80MB tape drive.

Thinking back through what I've used as backups over the years, it was when I used Zip Disks for backing up that was the first and only time I lost something. I guess I got lucky and had a good Zip drive because it never failed, but I had one disk go bad. I managed to recover everything except two files. One of the files I had another copy of, but the other I didn't. It wasn't anything super important, but the only copy I had was on that disk.

A friend of mine used a Jazz drive. I remember when they were discontinued, the price of the disks went up, but the price of the drives went down. The drives came with a disk, and it was cheaper to buy the drive than the disk. Stores or Iomega realized this and put a limit per customer on the drives, so this friend had me come along with him and we each bought our limit of the drives from several stores just so he could get the disks.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
8. Re: Morning Metaverse May 23, 2014, 13:20 jimnms

nin wrote on May 22, 2014, 09:05:
eBay buries its own advisory to change passwords following database hack.

Yeah, when I went to change my password yesterday, I didn't see any mention on the front page. Only when I went to the support page, did I see the #1 question was "How do I change my password?".

They went out of their way to make it a pain in the ass to change too. Right on the change password page are tips on how to make a stronger password. It recommends longer passwords with upper and lower case letters, numbers and characters, but then they disabled pasting on the new password entry, which makes using a password generator/manager useless, unless you want to type in 32 random characters twice.

I use Password Safe to generate and store long, random passwords for each site. It copies them to the clipboard for you to paste into the forms. I finally had to use its auto type feature, which I never use because it can still be intercepted by a key logger. The default behavior is to type the username, tab, password, enter. So I had to set a custom auto type for the eBay entry just to type the password, tab and password again, just so I could change the damn password.

Then to top it off, they don't tell you that certain characters aren't allowed on change password page that tells you to use special characters. When you try to use one, you get an error telling you that blank spaces aren't allowed. I spent several minutes thinking it was something I had done wrong with Password Safe's auto type, but then finally found out which characters are allowed on some support page.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Wasteland 2 This Summer
13. Re: Wasteland 2 This Summer May 21, 2014, 22:38 jimnms

HorrorScope wrote on May 20, 2014, 20:32:
Man the latest DOS patch, this thing is playing super sweet. Wasteland and the other Baulder Gate wannabee's on the horizon have quite a bar to reach and this has coop and mod'ing ta boot.

I played quite a bit of it in SP when I got my alpha code and it has shaped up quite nicely, but IMO it still has quite a way to go though. I fired it up yesterday to check out how it was coming along. One of the biggest features they like to brag about, the dual dialog between the characters, is either buggy or poorly written.

I first noticed it when playing it with a friend earlier in the alpha. He was playing the dude and I was the chick. He stole something on accident and got caught. Then the little "!" icons pop up over our heads to indicate there is a dialog waiting, so we talk and his character is telling me to stop stealing stuff.

When I played it yesterday I recreated my experience in MP. I had the guy go steal something and get caught. Then when initiating the dual dialog, the guy character is telling the chick to stop stealing stuff. Other dual dialogs were buggy too. Another example, when you reach the two drunk guards just before reaching the city, I had the guy character chose to agree to go with them, then had the girl character chose to want to fight. She won the argument, then after the fight is over and I start the dual dialog between them, she's blaming the guy for starting the fight. It seems like they either don't recognize which character did what or they've only been written one way.

MeanJim on Steam

5. Re: Morning Metaverse May 20, 2014, 04:24 jimnms

YouTube already has its own streaming. If you can't beat 'em, buy 'em out. Isn't that how the old saying goes? Will twitch.tv require Google+ now?  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse May 20, 2014, 03:51 jimnms

HorrorScope wrote on May 19, 2014, 20:35:
A bribe?

I'd say bordering on extortion.

MeanJim on Steam

6. Re: Morning Metaverse May 16, 2014, 15:17 jimnms

jdreyer wrote on May 16, 2014, 13:09:
Save The Internet.

Glad someone in this country still has the time and cojones to protest. We've become such a docile nation of sheeple.

Wait, you mean I have to stop using the internet and go outside if I want to save the internet. Sigh, ok... Oh a new cat video...

MeanJim on Steam

11. Re: Morning Metaverse May 14, 2014, 13:55 jimnms

And thanks to an archaic US law, any message left on Gmail for more than six months can be requested by police without a warrant, as it is considered "abandoned."
What kind of fucked up shit is this? Does this apply to people who save their snail mail letters in shoe boxes too?

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
13. Re: Evening Metaverse May 11, 2014, 20:05 jimnms

Cutter wrote on May 10, 2014, 00:13:
Lol The Ferengi Plan, love it!

If we could only get more internet sites to throttle access to all government networks maybe then they would get the message, fire this asshat lobbyist and put a real human in charge of the FCC.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > On Sale
5. State of Decay? May 11, 2014, 19:55 jimnms

I don't see it on their main page, but the Humble Store has State of Decay for $5. It's on my Steam wishlist, which is exported to isthereanydeal.com, which emails you on price changes, which is how I heard about it. Anyway, I don't remember putting it on my wishlist, but I must have heard a recommendation or read something good about it. I just bought a few games from GMG's sale a few days ago adding to my ever growing back log of games to play, so I'm being more picky about buying things. Is it any good? Is it worth $5?  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 7, 2014, 20:24 jimnms

I haven't gotten that one, but I've had three phone calls from Nigerian scammers. The first two times it was the same guy and he used the same name both times. The first call was to tell me I'd won some sweepstakes from Walmart. That day I was at home and not doing anything so I played along. He wanted me to go buy some kind card to pay the taxes before they could send me the money and call him back after I got the card and give him the information on the card. While on the phone I was researching him and the number he called from. I found a page on the FTC website about these scams and it said to report them, so I did after I got off the phone with him.

A few days later, using the same name, he called and said he was from UPS. This time I was in a hurry and not in the mood to play. I called him out, reminded him that he claimed to be calling from Walmart last time and I already reported his stupid ass to the FTC.

A few weeks later I got a call from the same number, but this was a different guy giving me the same sweepstakes pitch from the first call. Again I wasn't in the mood to play, so I told him to get his buddy that called me the other times and go fuck themselves. I haven't heard from them since then.

If anyone wants to have some fun with them, call 876-403-8511 and ask for John White.

MeanJim on Steam

2176 Comments. 109 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo