Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2156 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Towns Dev Leaving; Towns 2 Possible
51. Re: Towns Dev Leaving; Towns 2 Possible May 7, 2014, 19:30 jimnms

Towns was never on Steam Early Access. I don't even think Steam had the Early Access program back when Towns was released. I remember the shit storm it caused when it was greenlit and they began selling it while it was still in beta.

If Early Access was around back then, they didn't use it. I got the game in a bundle long before it was on Steam. It was distributed on Desura, and I played a few hours of it then. The game had potential, but it was buggy. When it was greenlit on Steam I was sent a Steam key, and when I activated the key it definitely did not have the Early Access banner on its store page.

Steam Profile
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Free Anomaly: Warzone Earth
3. Re: Free Anomaly: Warzone Earth May 6, 2014, 23:54 jimnms

Omni wrote on May 6, 2014, 10:46:
Sadly you don't get a code just a direct download.

I find it sad people are complaining about a free, DRM free game.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse May 6, 2014, 23:50 jimnms

jomisab wrote on May 6, 2014, 21:26:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 6, 2014, 19:39:
Duh. If you think ISP's aren't throttling then sandvine wouldn't be still making a mint selling their boxes.

Been pretty fortunate with Cablevision I think. 101 Mbit for $55/month and always get better performance than even that. No issues with Netflix etc....but I know they are one of the few ISPs to install Netflix's server hardware in their datacenters.

Just pray to God that Cablevision never gets bought out by some evil POS company like Comcast or Time Warner.

I can choose a local cable co. or AT&T Uverse. I've been fairly happy with my local cable co. recently, and I guess I have AT&T to thank for that. The price has been $50 a month since they first started offering service, which back then was 512kb/s down 128kb/s up. They did upgrade slowly over time, but before AT&T came along to give them some competition their standard service was 4mb/s down 128kb/s up. Once AT&T started advertising they boosted the standard service to 10mb/s down 512kb/s up. Each time AT&T upgrades, so does the cable. Currently I'm getting 20mb/s down and 2mb/s up. They do offer a 50mb/s plan for twice the price.

In the fine print on their website (last time I checked) there was a data cap of 250GB per month, but they apparently don't enforce it as I regularly hit close to 300GB or more without extra fees.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Space Engineers Sells 500K
6. Re: Space Engineers Sells 500K May 6, 2014, 23:18 jimnms

This has been on my wish list for a while, but I'm going to have to wait because I'm too busy with other games, like Kerbal Space Program. I just passed 300 hours in KSP yesterday. I like to design and building things, and don't know if my brain can take having another space stuff building game. When I'm not playing it, I'm thinking of stuff to build in KSP.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Wolfenstein: The New Order Specs
28. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Specs May 2, 2014, 15:03 jimnms

FloorPie wrote on May 2, 2014, 13:24:
deqer wrote on May 2, 2014, 09:49:
4GB of ram? wtf? Windows 7 can't even run properly with only 4GB of ram. It becomes sluggish quite quickly after you install everything like updates, drivers, software, and more.

I think you mean 2GB. That or what the heck are you running in the background all the time?

You're probably thinking of Vista. I ran Win7 on an 8 year old system that only had 2GB of RAM, and it ran just fine.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin in June
3. Re: Divinity: Original Sin in June Apr 25, 2014, 23:49 jimnms

I'm really looking forward to this one, maybe more than the other RPG's I backed on KS (PoE, WL2, TToN), and I never played the original Divinity games either. I backed it on the last day at the $25 level, but wish I'd gone for a collectors box now.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Obsidian: New Kickstarter Hopefully This Year
4. Re: Obsidian: New Kickstarter Hopefully This Year Apr 25, 2014, 23:38 jimnms

Arcanum 2?  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Combine Harvester Demolition Derby Apr 24, 2014, 14:17 jimnms

Oh, that kind of combine. I thought it was going to be some kind of HL2 mod or something.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
15. Re: Evening Safety Dance Apr 23, 2014, 11:18 jimnms

Prez wrote on Apr 23, 2014, 10:03:
I linked my FB account with the Digital Shadow site and the "infiltrating target" percentage remained at 0% forever. I must be off the grid! Yay me! \o/

You have to disable any script blockers or it does that.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
10. Re: Evening Safety Dance Apr 23, 2014, 08:05 jimnms

I have a Facebook page, but I don't use it. I wanted me to disable a privacy feature to allow the app to read my public profile, and just for shits and giggles I did. Every section of the results page just said insufficient data.  

Steam Profile

25. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 22, 2014, 20:55 jimnms

Happy Earth Day! Here's hoping you got the Earth something nice to mark the occasion...
I drove a diesel 100 miles today and got 46MPG for the trip.

nin wrote on Apr 22, 2014, 08:55:
I'm drinking a bottled water right now, does that count?

I only drink bottled water, but I have a filter on my tap and fill them myself. The tap water here isn't too bad, it only has a slight public swimming pool taste to it, but the filter gets rid of that. The best tap water I ever had was the town I went to college in. It was a small farming town of about 15k people with 1/3 of that being students. It's been my experience that the smaller the city/town, the better the water.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Frozen Synapse Free Weekend; Sale
12. Re: Frozen Synapse Free Weekend; Sale Apr 18, 2014, 18:42 jimnms

Cyanotetyphas wrote on Apr 18, 2014, 18:22:
The key to getting through Frozen Synapse is understanding that the game gives the advantage to the defensive shooter. This means that for most encounters you're better off rushing to good positions and then baiting the enemy into walking around a corner into you or crossing your cone of view through a window. Rushing and trying to clear corridors will result in your guys dying quickly. The only problem is some missions give you time or point constraints, so you really have to "hurry up and wait" which can be challenging.

I will say though that this is a long ass game holy moly. I've made good progress, but I looked up where I was and couldn't believe how much was left.

There are ways to deal with people that hide in defensive positions. One game I won against a guy that started in well defended area and I was pretty much in the open. I used a unit to distract him then rushed in while his units were distracted. It takes timing to pull off and using the simulation mode is a must. I had a unit get in position where he could be seen by multiple targets, set him to ignore and not engage. Then he would duck behind cover before the enemy shot him while my other units ran into the building and wiped him out.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Frozen Synapse Free Weekend; Sale
11. Re: Frozen Synapse Free Weekend; Sale Apr 18, 2014, 18:30 jimnms

Whiskers wrote on Apr 18, 2014, 12:10:
It can be a lot of fun but I stopped playing because 75% of the people would just stop making moves as soon as they lost a guy. Still pretty fun though.

I quit playing it for the same reason. They kept saying they were going to fix that by having the game auto forfeit if your opponent doesn't make a move after two weeks, but the last time I played it I had three games in a row where my opponent quit after realizing they couldn't win. I haven't played it since then, but if they finally fixed that since then I will definitely get back into it.

I bought it directly from the dev's site when it was released and played the DRM free version of it, but I saw they recently added Steam features like Steam notifications when you have a turn waiting.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
7. Dell, Microsoft, Best Buy Offer XP Trade-In Discounts Apr 13, 2014, 17:19 jimnms

The Best Buy trade-in is only for notebooks which is probably smart of them, but it still sucks. I looked into it the other day because I have 7 "working" XP computers I could trade in (2 are notebooks). I'm sure I'm not the only one with a closet full of old computers that would take advantage of this if the offer applied to desktops as well.  

Steam Profile

6. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 12, 2014, 20:07 jimnms

1badmf wrote on Apr 12, 2014, 19:14:
jesus i felt my soul leaving my body just listening to that clip.

I'm so used to those sounds, but never realized they were all fox sounds. I know there are foxes around where I live, though you rarely see them. That clip sounds like a typical night here (well it's not that constant). I live in a neighborhood just outside of town, and there are quite a bit of woods around. I've only seen a hand full of them in the years I've lived here. There is a golf course not to far from my neighborhood, and driving home late at night you will occasionally see one run across the road going to/from the golf course. I've seen one at the entrance to my neighborhood and another one in the yard across the street one night.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
1. Re: Saturday Metaverse Apr 12, 2014, 18:35 jimnms

I knew this was coming when they stopped allowing remote renewal of dynamic IPs, which my router has a built in client for. I quit using them when they did that. I never could remember my damn DNS name anyway and it was always quicker to log into my router and get my IP when hosting games for friends. I setup a new name from http://freedns.afraid.org/ now, but still have to look it up whenever I host a game, which is not that often, which is why I forget it.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Linux Beta Next Week; Playthrough ~50 Hours
16. Re: Wasteland 2 Linux Beta Next Week; Playthrough ~50 Hours Apr 10, 2014, 16:24 jimnms

Am I the only one that thinks 50 hours seems kind of low? I've played 40 hours of the beta, which I've played twice up to the same spot. I follow the main quest to retrieve the repeater units. The first time I played I went to Highpool, the second I went to the Ag center. After completing those locations I went to the second location and cleared it out. I stopped after that so I wouldn't spoil anything for myself.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
9. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 10, 2014, 16:07 jimnms

Necrophob wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 09:11:
Is your niece's game computer connected to your network? Than you should be concerned. What if one of the vulnerabilities that hackers discover (or already have and are waiting to use them) allows them to gain access to the other computers on your network, through the XP machine? The problem is that we just don't know what's going to happen.

Yes it's on my network, but she doesn't go on the internet with it. It's behind a firewall, and has it's own firewall (not the built in POS firewall either). If someone were targeting it, it would be frustrating as hell since it's only turned on for a few hours on days she comes over.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 9, 2014, 21:41 jimnms

I don't get the tone of these articles blasting MS for dropping support of XP. It's not Microsoft's problem people haven't upgraded. You can't expect them to continue support of the ancient OS forever just because some people and businesses were too lazy to upgrade. It's not like they just stopped supporting it without warning, they've had several years notice that this was coming.

I still have a computer with XP on it. It's one I pieced together from old parts, with most of it being a system I built almost 10 years ago. I'm not wasting the money to put Win7/8 on it, but I'm not worried about it because it's only used by my niece to play games on. I thought about putting Windows Vista on it because I have an unopened copy of it that I got for 80% off when CompUSA went out of business.

I'm probably going to be building myself a new gaming system soon anyway if some of these "next gen" games come out and my system can't run them on high settings.

Steam Profile

20. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2014, 18:47 jimnms

RoboNerd wrote on Apr 9, 2014, 09:45:
Re: America's Ten Best Cities for BBQ

KC is number 3! They mention Arthur Bryant's, but they should also have mentioned Gates - walk in the front door and have "Hi May I Help You!" screamed at you. Oklahoma Joe's is a relative newcomer that's getting a lot of good press, but Arthur Bryant's & Gates are the pillars. Drool2

I've been to Austin, Atlanta, Dallas, Memphis and St. Louis. I'd rate them #1 Memphis, #2 St. Louis with Dallas and Austin tied for #3. I'm a bit partial to my local home town's BBQ though, which is a mixture of Memphis and St. Louis styles.

Steam Profile

2156 Comments. 108 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo