Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2067 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > GOG.com Drops Fallout Games
55. Re: GOG.com Drops Fallout Games Jan 2, 2014, 15:09 jimnms

BitWraith wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 09:14:
Holy crap is this true. I've been a PC gamer my entire life. One of my very favorite games is Pool of Radiance (1990 I think?) That sucker had a code wheel that shipped with it. There was no internet back then, so if you lost that thing, and had not made a copy of it, you were screwed.

DRM is nothing new. I can't tell you how many games I have in my collection that have some form of DRM that predates the internet: Discs that you cannot copy (even for backups), manual lookups (printed on red paper so it cannot be photocopied), weird code wheels... It was definitely the wild wild west back then, and if you lost your manual etc, you had no recourse to play your game.

So, in my much older and wiser mind, Steamworks is the least obtrusive DRM I have ever experienced.

Those were the good old days weren't they? I had Pool of Radiance too and remember than damn code wheel too. Eye of the Beholder was almost as bad. You had to find a page with a symbol on it, find paragraph X, line Y, word Z. I had a racing sim that you had to find a word on a page and paragraph at the start of the game. Even worse were the ones that did it in game. If you mistype or get the wrong word, game over, no save for you.

Steam Profile
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

54. Re: GOG.com Drops Fallout Games Jan 2, 2014, 15:03 jimnms

Creston wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 11:55:
Jerykk wrote on Jan 1, 2014, 20:13:
Fixed? what needs to be fixed? The GOG version was already fully compatible with modern OSes and hardware. Maybe by "fixed," they mean that they are removing the ability to kill children.

Sigh. He gives the answer literally five tweets down:

no. Have to remove interplay publisher stuff. Terms of service. Legal. That kind of thing.

To be fair, that reply tweet wasn't posted until 6 hours ago and wasn't there when Jerykk first linked to it.

Steam Profile

33. Re: GOG.com Drops Fallout Games Jan 2, 2014, 01:22 jimnms

Jerykk wrote on Jan 1, 2014, 23:32:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 1, 2014, 23:29:
@ Jerykk, By "fixed" I don't think he's talking about the game, but rather the agreement between the distributor and the publisher to sell it.

I hope that's the case. Would be lame if they censored the games.

The GOG version of Fallout is the censored EU version, which is odd because the GOG version of Fallout 2 is the uncensored US version. It's easily fixed though, there's a link in the GOG forums to the "fix." Are the versions on Steam both the uncensored US versions?

Steam Profile

27. Re: GOG.com Drops Fallout Games Jan 1, 2014, 21:41 jimnms

javajeff wrote on Jan 1, 2014, 20:48:
Steam is DRM. This means your account is locked to all your games at once. Two of your games cannot be running at the same time. With retail games, you can install each game on a different computer. The only way to do this with steam is to have a different Steam account for each game. Now this can change if that game sharing feature is enabled.
http://store.steampowered.com/news/11436/

Steam is a digital distributor, Steamworks is DRM. Not all games sold on Steam use Steamworks DRM. A lot of games available on Steam don't have DRM. This means you can copy the game to another computer and run it without needing Steam at all.

You can also run games from the same Steam account on as many computers as you want, as long as only one is online. I do this all the time, even with MP games. I have a 2nd PC that my niece uses to play games. I install the games, put Steam offline and she plays them at the same time as I'm playing games with Steam on my computer. I even run the same game at the same time to do LAN play.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 30, 2013, 12:10 jimnms

My first computer was a TRS-80 CoCo II. I got into consoles until I inherited a 386 DX 25MHz with an 80MB drive and 4MB of RAM. When it was new it was a beast.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > On Sale
11. Re: On Sale Dec 28, 2013, 17:37 jimnms

If you missed the Legend of Dungeon sale the other day, it's on sate today at the Humble Store for $1.49 (same price as Steam's sale). I wish I knew they were going to do that because with Humble Store you get both a Steam key and DRM free copy.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Boxing Day Interviews
15. Re: The Dec 27, 2013, 18:50 jimnms

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 27, 2013, 15:01:
Yeah, but I am lazy, I visit GOG like once every 2 months. I totally agree with you on steams update policy by the way... but Steam is easy to use for downloading and installing stuff. GoG isn't. I have a 200gb Folder with GOG-setup exes and browsing that and making sure everythings the latest version is annoying as heck.

And that (New) tag on GOG for downloads, goes away the second you view the page. Because checking whether I actually downloaded the update is rocket science, apparently...

The new flag has always stayed there for a while even after I've downloaded the updates. I don't know what the timeout is set for, but at one point it was staying so long people were complaining in the forums that it wouldn't go away after downloading updates.

I'm subscribed to their sale news letter. They have weekly sales, and when I get the email I go to the site to check out the sale, so I see weekly if/when my games have updates.

Steam Profile

News Comments > On Sale
11. Re: On Sale Dec 27, 2013, 15:49 jimnms

The Humble Store has Receiver on sale for $2.  

Steam Profile

13. Re: The Dec 27, 2013, 03:53 jimnms

Julio wrote on Dec 27, 2013, 03:25:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 26, 2013, 22:24:
Though I shudder to think what other service we'd be forced to used. GoG doesn't have a working update system and doesn't even have a client.

I'd be pretty happy with using GOG for all my games, so a DRM free world without Steam would be just fine if GOG was the alternative.

When you go to the GOG site and are logged in, it tells you if any of your games have updates available. The GOG downloader will also notify you of updates. GOG usually puts out a patch, then after a while replace it with a new installer that is fully up to date. I'm fine with manual updates, especially with modded games. I can't believe Steam doesn't give you the option to not install an update. How hard would it be to just turn off updates and have it notify you when you launch a game that isn't up to date?

Steam Profile

9. The "cult" of Steam Dec 26, 2013, 20:26 jimnms

From the article
I think Valve is single-handedly keeping PC gaming going; they’re a major contributor. If Valve went away suddenly, I don’t know what would happen to PC gaming as a whole, but it would affect the entire culture. It’s about their culture, their influence that they generate around Steam… They’ve grown a cult around PC gaming, which is really cool.

I never really though of that before. If Valve never created Steam, what would PC gaming be like today. Would it still be disks and disk checks or other DRM, or worse, would it even still exist?

If Valve went away today, tomorrow or next year, I don't think PC gaming will die, since Steam has already proven that the PC gaming platform is still alive. It would change things, but there are already other digital retailers to go to. I think Steam is too big to go away though. If Valve decided to get out of the business, there would be a long line of people wanting to buy it from them, but lets hope that never happens.

Steam Profile

8. Re: Into the Black Dec 26, 2013, 20:14 jimnms

Wow, that post was longer than I expected. Anyway, I just checked and the mod was finally updated today! I guess it's back to KSP for me. The mod I was waiting for is called Remote Tech 2. It makes satellites not only useful, but required for operating unmanned remote craft as you need them to relay the signal. You also need them for career mode if you intend to transmit science data back. The signal needs to be able to reach the Kerbal Space port. I was hoping something like this was going to be implemented with the 0.22 patch that introduced career mode and transmission of science data. It also has a simple flight computer so if you need a remote craft to make a maneuver when it's going to be out of comm., like on the back side of a planet or moon that will block the signal, you can program it to make the maneuver. It's not fancy and automated, you have to tell it what pitch and heading to turn to and how long to fire the engine(s). You can give it a specific time to make the maneuver or a countdown time.  

Steam Profile

7. Re: Into the Black Dec 26, 2013, 19:51 jimnms

NegaDeath wrote on Dec 26, 2013, 17:38:
I played it awhile ago and stopped when I finally successfully got a Kerbel into orbit. I didn't make any plans to get him back DOWN again but he knew what he was getting into. At least I'm pretty sure they told him that. Anyways the rocket didn't explode or slam into the ground at unthinkable speeds so I'm putting a notch in the win column. I'll come back to it someday.

The first thing I did was probably what 99% of players do. Stick a bunch of stuff together and launch it straight up. Then I decided to see if I could first get a satellite into orbit (before I started risking Kerbal lives). I managed to do it on my first try. I didn't read any tutorials or watch any videos, so I didn't really even know how to get in orbit, I just guessed. From what I've seen of shuttle and rocket launches, they tend to go up for a bit then pitch over. My rocket used solid rocket boosters on the first stage and a regular rocket after that. I didn't know when to pitch over, so I just waited for the SRBs to burn out, then turned 45° and kept going until I had an orbit. It wasn't a nice circular orbit, but it was an orbit. I detached the satellite, then went to de-orbit the rocket and it wouldn't fire.

So my next goal was to get a satellite in orbit without leaving debris behind. I decide to read the official wiki and watch a few videos on getting to orbit first. It took me three more tries to get it right. Now I had 4 (useless) satellites in orbit and three pieces of junk. My OCD kicked in and I decided I needed to do something about that junk. You can delete objects from the command center, but that feels like cheating. So I set another goal for myself to design something to go up and knock junk out of orbit. I decided that if I could do it consistently two times then I would allow myself to delete junk from the command center and I could just pretend it was done right. My first two attempts while successful in knocking the junk out of orbit, also had problems. Then my 3rd design worked so well (and me getting better) that after knocking its target out it had enough fuel and battery left to go get a second one.

I had met the goal I set for myself, but I was having fun. I think I enjoy designing and building things more than flying them. I then decided to design a reusable craft to go get the rest of the satellites and junk. It would have solar panels to recharge the battery, and I would be able to re-fuel it. When I was done cleaning junk I would leave it in orbit to be ready when needed.

That was pretty much the first 75 hours or so in KSP for me. I then went to the Mun, twice. The first just to see if I could do it. I was confident I could do it after all of that junk cleaning, so I sent Kerbals on the first try. They got there and landed, took back off, but then ran out fuel during the burn to return to Kerbin. The Kerbals were left in a very high orbit. I still had mono-propellant for the maneuvering thrusters, so I decided to try and use them. After using every last drop of mono-propellant it brought the return trajectory just into Kerbin's atmosphere. The atmosphere slowed them down a little, but they had to go around 4 or 5 more times to slow them down enough to re-enter and land. I went back a second time with a rover. This time I brought enough fuel to get home.

I haven't been anywhere else yet. A day or two after my last Mun mission the new version came out with the improvements to the career mode. I had planned to start a career mode and install a few mods when that version was released anyway. I haven't played it since then because I've been waiting on one mod to be updated before I get back to it. All but that one mod was either already compatible or quickly updated. I've almost been tempted to just go without it, but it's the main mod I want to use.

Steam Profile

News Comments > On Sale
24. Re: On Sale Dec 21, 2013, 01:21 jimnms

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 20, 2013, 15:00:
Anyone got input on Project Zomboid? Loks like a fun game. Takes what I love about zombie and these types of games and molds them into an old school format.....

I bought it about a year ago when it was only on their site and Desura. I had a lot of fun with it back then. It was fun sneaking around, crafting, looting, exploring etc. I never did get far enough to build a base or fortify a shelter. My only complaint back then was the loot was static, you would always find the same items in the same places. They were quick with new builds back then, and then kind of faded. Now that they're on Steam it's seen several updates, but I haven't played it recently.

The last time I played it was a big update right before they went on Steam and it was almost a completely different game. They ramped up the difficulty to the point where I didn't have fun. There were too many zombies, so as soon as I stepped out of whatever building I spawned, I was immediately swamped. They were way too aware and I couldn't sneak past them and couldn't lose them once they started chasing me. There is a sandbox mode where you can tweak everything from the type of zombies (fast/slow), to their awareness and the number and frequency of spawn though.

I did fire it up after activating my Steam key, but I didn't have time to start a game. There have been more updates since then and a new map. I think they added the story mode back, or they were talking about it. There is a demo, but I don't know how up to date it is compared to the version owners have.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2013, 18:46 jimnms

Cutter wrote on Dec 20, 2013, 12:57:
Or they could bathrooms in next to the elevator so people use them instead of the elevator. But that would make sense. No, put in a $10,000 dollar urine monitor instead. Fucking bureaucrats. Rolleyes

It would probably cost more than $10,000 to install a bathroom. You can't just pop one anywhere you want in an existing structure because they need to have access to the water and sewer lines.

As the article mentioned though, I wonder if they could save some money just by putting up signs to deter people. They should do a study before spending $10k per elevator. Place just a sign in another popular peed in elevator, and if it reduces the problem just as well, problem solved. Hell make it more convincing by putting a fake looking sensor in there too.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Morning Previews
32. Re: Morning Previews Dec 17, 2013, 10:06 jimnms

OpticNerve wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 22:38:
Combat definitely needs something more to it. At the moment, it's a bit drab and plain. While playing the beta, I had a big urge to find a way to target body parts ala. FO1 and FO2 and not being able to do so was pretty disappointing.

Hopefully they can add something that'll make combat more tactical or give it a bit more oomph (I know not everyone liked it, but the action cutscenes in the recent X-Coms made combat rewarding for me).

It would be nice to be able to target body parts like Fallout 1/2/T, but I rarely ever used that in Fallout. The only time I remember using it was on a quest to clear out a section of a town that was overrun by deathclaws. I remember they tell you to aim for the eyes or something. I probably was taking that quest way too early because I had to load and re-try several times. With the weapon I had I could fire two non targeted shots or one targeted shot (because those cost more AP). I usually would rather get two high percentage shots than one lower percentage targeted shot. Although in Fallout, unused action points were added to your AC for defense during enemy turns, so you aren't wasting AP if you do take a targeted shot. I'm not sure WL2 does this or not.

I liked the kill shot cams in XCOM, but didn't care for the running to cover ones. I don't think those would work in WL2. The game looks nice from it's high up perspective, but the characters aren't as detailed as they are in XCOM so you would hear people complaining about how crappy it looks.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Morning Previews
27. Re: Morning Previews Dec 16, 2013, 20:19 jimnms

harlock wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 11:21:
i keep hearing this and its worrying i must say:

Not all of the old-school charm is so charming, however, and in particular I am yet to be convinced by the combat. It's turn-based, but so far without the tactical depth to make it interesting rather than simply slow. There are no stances, no targeted hits, each character is only likely to have any skill with a single weapon and toys like grenades are rarer than hens' teeth. Environments also suffer from a general lack of detail or options, with the result that - so far at least - there's not much to do except stand next to cover, take pot-shots and toggle opportunity fire that may or may not actually be taken. Later, having more choices will hopefully make things more interesting.

If I had to compare the combat system in WL2 to another game, it would be more like the new XCOM:EU. When you right click to move, it shows two grids, one for how far you can move and still have enough AP to fire your currently selected weapon and a second one showing you your farthest movement.

There are no stances, but when moving, you can see when in move mode that an object in the world will provide cover, what direction the cover is provided. If you move to cover, the character will move to cover and kneel behind it.

The targeting is similar too, there are icons on the side representing all visible targets to the selected character. You can click these icons or you can click a target on the screen. You see info such as your chance to hit, the approx. damage you will do, etc.

I don't know how grenades work, I found one, but I haven't used it yet. They need to give better documentation on what keys and other things do. You can equip two weapons, but I haven't figured out how to switch between them. There are icons when in combat to reload and switch fire modes (auto/burst/single), and one that I forgot what it's called, that I think is supposed to be like overwatch. I've clicked it and had mixed results, sometimes my character immediately fires, sometimes they do nothing.

I've only played it a few hours the day I got my beta code. I've run into some bugs, but the game has been patched several times already. One was during a random encounter where there was an enemy behind cover, and no matter what it always showed a 0% chance to hit him. I assume the 0% chance was incorrect as I did hit him.

Another one was with one of the characters I created. I created a Native American Buddhist as my medic, but once I started the game, she was now a Russian Christian. Then later all of the personal bio. things you can chose during character creation disappeared completely. It only happened to that one character in my party, the rest were fine.

I'm going to start a new game tonight and see what has changed, but so far I like what I see for the most part. There are a few things I would like to see changed. There is health regen when in a map and outside of combat. There seems to be mixed opinions on this, some say it happens too fast, some too slow, some say it needs to be removed. Personally I thought it was too slow to be of any real advantage. You can't rest or speed up time to heal quicker. The original WL had health regen by waiting in map mode, but there was a chance to encounter an enemy while waiting. The regen rate was something like +2 CON every 30 seconds or so, so if you have a badly injured character and wanted to fully heal via the regen, you'd have to let the game sit idle for 10-20 minutes depending on max CON and how badly hurt they are.

I assumed you healed when traveling over the map view, but you don't. I had one character close to death after clearing out an area. I left and went to an oasis to refill water, assuming my team would heal along the way. When I was almost there I hit a random encounter, and my team's CON was the same as when I left. I would like to see healing while traveling added, since that was the way it happened in WL1 (and FO1, FO2, FO:T). You're supposed to also be able to use the field medic skill to heal, but I either did it wrong or it is/was broken because I couldn't get it to work.

One other nitpick I had is when in combat one of my team went down. It showed they would bleed out and die in something like 80 turns. I knew the encounter would end before then, and as soon as combat ended a few turns later, it went back to real time and they bled out in a few seconds, before I my medic character could get to them.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Steam Top 10
11. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 15, 2013, 15:12 jimnms

jdreyer wrote on Dec 15, 2013, 13:24:
jimnms wrote on Dec 15, 2013, 13:13:
Wow, surprised to see Wasteland 2 there with all the bitching about the price. I wonder if that is only sales from Steam or does it include the Kickstarter backers and those that bought it from the late backer store.

They had to charge that high price, since that was one of the higher price tiers for beta access. Any lower would be unfair to KS backers.

I understand why they're charging what they are. I was just surprised to see it on the to 10 since people here and on the Steam community forums had their undies in a bunch over the $60 price.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Steam Top 10
1. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 15, 2013, 13:13 jimnms

Wow, surprised to see Wasteland 2 there with all the bitching about the price. I wonder if that is only sales from Steam or does it include the Kickstarter backers and those that bought it from the late backer store.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
2. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Dec 14, 2013, 15:46 jimnms

I'm tempted to throw an old HD in my system and install it. I've also got an old miniITX system with an NVIDIA ION that I could try it on.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Early Access This Week
16. Re: Wasteland 2 Early Access This Week Dec 13, 2013, 15:48 jimnms

Squirmer wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 22:06:
Beta access for the Kickstarter was at $75 or more, so I guess early access will be that expensive? I pledged $50, so I'll be kind of annoyed if I don't get beta access but late backers do via early access.

For $50 you're getting a BOXED copy of the game, a cloth map, a printed manual, the soundtrack and 2 copies of the game, and you're bitching because a late backer gets beta access?

And beta access began at the $55 pledge, BTW. They haven't even said how much early access is going to cost. I imagine it will cost $55, because that's what it costs to get the game and beta access from their late backer store. If they sell it for lower, I bet they will give everyone that pledged that amount on Kickstarter beta access.

Steam Profile

2067 Comments. 104 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo