Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2166 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
4. Re: Evening Mobilization Dec 15, 2011, 23:33 jimnms

Prez wrote on Dec 15, 2011, 21:12:
Bought 2 Kindle Fires this week. I am not a tablet person, but I like the Kindle Fires design as a perfectly sized all-in-one media consumption device.

Is it worth getting for someone that doesn't have an Amazon Prime account. I looked at one in and I like the size, and since I have a Prime account it would be nice. I want to get a tablet for my mom, but I don't want to tie it to my account. I want to get her something that she can casually browse the internet with, do email, play sudoku and read the news paper. I'm going to get her local news paper subscription switched to digital, which comes in PDF format. She likes the sudoku type games, and goes through a book a week.

I'm thinking 7" is going to be too small for her to read a newspaper on, but I think a 10" tablet is probably going to be too big for her to comfortably use. I'm leaning toward a Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9. The specs have the Fire 1 oz. lighter, but it feels heavier to me. I guess the larger, thinner Samsung tablet spreads the weight evenly making it feel lighter.

Steam Profile
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Dec 12, 2011, 14:21 jimnms

My next character is going to be a heavy armor brawling badass, but right now I'm sticking to light armor and one-handed weapons with light magic.

I have been leveling up my smithing and enchanting by making daggers, jewelry and leather armor, and enchanting them. At first it was to get money, but then it was to get my smithing up to create better armor. Until recently I was still running around in the leather armor I crafted and improved. Now I'm sporting a mix-n-match leather/elven/scaled armor and look kind of ridiculous I buy or get the materials to craft a matching set of armor.

I think this has had a negative effect though. At one point I was using the transmute spell to make silver and gold ore from iron ore, creating jewelry, enchanting them and then selling them. I went up three levels in one session by boosting my smithing, enchanting, speech and alteration skills. Now that my character's level is up, I'm running into tougher enemies, but my fighting and armor skills are too low to deal with some of them.

I can kill a random dragon with a frost breath shout and about 6 blows, but last night I ran into a group of three imposter Imperial Soldiers demanding a "tax" and attack when you refuse. Either one of them could kill me with two blows.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Valve Book
8. Re: Valve Book Dec 8, 2011, 15:29 jimnms

I pre-ordered this from Amazon months ago. I wish I'd gotten a couple or more because that Half-Life Raising the bar book has become a rare collectable selling for $130+.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Skyrim Patched, LAA Support Coming
20. Re: Skyrim Patched, LAA Support Coming Dec 7, 2011, 22:59 jimnms

Jerykk wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 22:33:
What CPU do you have and what do you consider a decent framerate? If you have a less-than-4 GHz CPU and you get 60 FPS in towns and cities, I'm calling BS.

I have a Core i5 750 running the stock 2.66GHz, GTX 470 (again stock) and 12GB of RAM (which doesn't matter until the LAA patch next week). Even though auto-detect sets graphics settings to high, I'm running the game on ultra at 1680x1050 with AA bumped down to 2x.

I consider a decent frame rate one where I don't notice individual frames. I don't know what my frame rate is, I doubt it's 60, but it's smooth. Like others mentioned, Markarth does cause some slowdowns in certain areas.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Skyrim Patched, LAA Support Coming
2. Re: Skyrim Patched, LAA Support Coming Dec 7, 2011, 21:23 jimnms

Dirwulf wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 20:44:
1.3 screwed up my game even more. I crash a lot more often now. Also, map markers are totally screwed up. I have a misc quest map marker set to Riften, and then I went into a fort that was on the way. When I came out, the map marker showed I had to enter another door in the fort, which I did, and then it directed to me to another exit, at which point the map marker reset to Riften. I had NO quests in the fort. LAME!! I'm crashing about every 10 minutes now. As far as I'm concerned this game is unplayable.

I haven't had Skyrim crash yet while playing, and I played for about 10 hours straight the first day. My biggest problem/complaint is that when using custom key setup, the interface still tells you to press the default keys when instead you need to press the key you remapped the default key's action to. I fixed that with this mod that forces the interface to recognize the key it tells you to press no matter what you've remapped the keys to.

Also probably related to the key mapping problem is that if you don't use the default key for the Steam Overlay (shift-tab), the overlay doesn't work. I still see overlay popups when I unlock an achievement or get a message from a friend. I have to alt-tab out of the game to reply when I get a message. The only time the game has ever crashed was after alt-tabbing out after a few dozen times to reply to friends sending me messages.

I haven't played yet since it patched to 1.3 though, but I will here shortly.

I haven't seen the problem you describe with quest markers in Skyrim, but I saw it in FNV a lot. The path drawn on the map would have me go in the front door of a random house in the middle of nowhere and come out the back door rather than just walking straight to where I needed to go. Switching the active quest to a different one and back would update the path, so try toggling the quest off and back on if it does it again. I also turn off floating markers and rely on myself to navigate rather than following the quest marker on screen.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Indie Gala Bundle
7. Re: Indie Gala Bundle Dec 7, 2011, 03:29 jimnms

I'm going to grab this mainly for Your Doodles are Bugged. I almost it this a while back for my niece since she likes Crayon Physics Deluxe, but she's not quite old enough to have the patience to solve some of the tougher levels.

I have Saira from a previous indie bundle (where I also got Crayon Physics Deluxe) that was sold on Steam long before the indie bundles became a trend, and I really enjoyed it.

This comment was edited on Dec 7, 2011, 03:37.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Steam Top 10
59. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 6, 2011, 01:40 jimnms

Beamer wrote on Dec 5, 2011, 17:24:
Which are still considered bad for you:
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/10_19/b4177071221162.htm

It's bad to keep that posture all day long. When you're reclining there's some weight supported by your upper back and your legs. When you're in an office chair it's mostly all your butt and spine, with a little bit by your upper back.
This is why many offices are starting to create standing desks, too, which is better for circulation.

"Short of sitting on a spike, you can't do much worse than a standard office chair,"

You might not have a choice of what chair you sit on at work, but at home no one says you have to sit in an office chair. The most comfortable chair I ever had was like this one except mine didn't have the massage feature. I used to sit at my desk and game slightly reclined with my feet up on the ottoman.

Bhruic wrote on Dec 5, 2011, 17:55:
To me, that was amazing to see, and I explained to my son that it's the little details like that, which make a good game great.

It's little details like that that make the game really annoying. I'm sitting there fighting a dragon, and 90% of the people are going about their daily lives, completely ignoring it. I kill it, everyone walks away, shrugging their shoulders. But it starts to glow and then I absorb the soul, and suddenly everyone comes running over like it's a freaking miracle.

If you're going to have people react, don't have them react in a completely unrealistic way. Instead of making it "cool", it breaks immersion.

You just look for the negatives in everything. Why do you bother gaming then? I haven't fought a dragon in a city, but I did kill one right outside a small city. When I killed it and went back in the city everyone was commenting on how they had never seen anything like that.

There are a lot of little details that make this game great. The coolest little moment that had a big WOW effect on me was when I was at a forge using a spell to turn iron ore into silver to make some jewelry with a few gems I had to sell. A little kid saw me cast the spell and ran over and asked me if I was a wizard and if I could turn him invisible. I don't remember the exact replies available, but I think one was to tell scram, another was to turn him invisible (I assume you needed a real invisibility spell or potion which I didn't have) and the one I chose was "Poof! your invisible (Lie)." After that he ran around town thinking he was sneaking up on people, yelling boo and making ghost noises.

You can also talk to the children in the towns and some of them will ask you to play tag or hide and seek.

Steam Profile

44. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 5, 2011, 17:13 jimnms

Beamer wrote on Dec 5, 2011, 16:50:
And yes, your office chair is less healthy than a couch. There are plenty of studies out there about how bad it is for the body to be upright all day long. On a couch you're reclined and your body is better supported.

Why do you have such an uncomfortable, bad for your health office chair in front of your desk then? They do make comfortable, ergonomic desk chairs.

Steam Profile

15. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 4, 2011, 22:10 jimnms

Dev wrote on Dec 4, 2011, 21:59:
jimnms wrote on Dec 4, 2011, 20:42:
FNV all over again when they broke Boone in one of the first few patches. I decided to put off playing FNV thinking they would put out a quick fix, but it took them 6 months to release the next patch, and they still never fixed him even in the latest official patch.
I imagine there's mods that fix him up.

Yes a fix was posted to NVNexus within days, but Bethesda still never bothered to fix him. My point was that the screw up was so big and everyone was complaining, I figured they would be quick to put out a fix, so I decided to wait for the official patch which didn't come for another 6 months.

Breaking the resistances in this past patch is a lot like breaking Boone in FNV. It wasn't broken to begin with yet somehow they fucked it up in the patch. I hope the come through on their promised patch next week because with the mod tools not coming out until January, it will be a while before it gets fixed.

Steam Profile

9. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 4, 2011, 20:42 jimnms

I hope Skyrim's patches don't turn out to be another FNV type mess where they break shit that wasn't broken and never fix it. I know they said on their official blog that they're going to give quest and balance issues priority over code fixes, but this first patch is bringing back memories of FNV all over again when they broke Boone in one of the first few patches. I decided to put off playing FNV thinking they would put out a quick fix, but it took them 6 months to release the next patch, and they still never fixed him even in the latest official patch.

I decided to put off Skyrim until the next patch, which they promised would come next week. I picked up Terraria to pass the time until then. At first it felt like a 2D Minecraft, but as you get more into it, there is a lot more to. It's kind of overwhelming actually, but the pace is slow. I actually wish Minecraft were more like Terraria.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Patch This Week
6. Re: Battlefield 3 Patch This Week Dec 4, 2011, 20:25 jimnms

CrimsonPaw wrote on Dec 4, 2011, 18:56:
Wish there was a way that servers could filter out players over certain ranks. It sucks that I can't dedicate my life to this game and am only rank 8 and get my ass handed to me constantly by 35+ers out there.

Didn't BFBC2 servers have this feature? I didn't pick it up until it was on sale for $7.50 on Steam, and I'm pretty sure I remember playing on a noob friendly server that kicked high rank players.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
5. Re: Saturday Mobilization Dec 4, 2011, 07:47 jimnms

I'm getting my mom a tablet for xmas, and I'm torn between the Kindle Fire or a ~10" tablet. I'm going to convert her newspaper to digital delivery, and they just distribute it through their website as a PDF. There are a few potential problems I see with the Kindle. It doesn't have much available on-board storage, and it seems like it's not much use unless you have an Amazon Prime membership (I have one, but I don't want it tied to my account). She's kind of become a hoarder of newspapers lately. She either doesn't finish it or intends to cut something out and save it, so she ends up keeping the whole paper and never gets around to it. The smaller size might be easier to handle, but then it might be harder for her to read.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Steam Daily Wishlist Giveaway - Terraria Sale
25. Re: Steam Daily Wishlist Giveaway - Terraria Sale Dec 1, 2011, 20:06 jimnms

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 1, 2011, 17:59:
I have 2 extra copies....

You want to trade for one? I have a couple of extra keys for Frozen Synapse and a Frozenbyte Bundle Steam key.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
25. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 30, 2011, 18:16 jimnms

As for the PC patch, I've fought two dragons today after it patched. They all flew around normal. I can't comment on resistances, I don't have any resistance spells.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > New NVIDIA Beta Drivers
18. Re: New NVIDIA Beta Drivers Nov 28, 2011, 14:38 jimnms

Agent.X7 wrote on Nov 28, 2011, 14:31:
Did they yank these? They're not appearing on the beta driver page.

Edit: Ah. This beta driver is only for 32-bit Windows, apparently. Doesn't show up when you select 64 bit.

They show up for me when I select Windows 7 64 bit.

Steam Profile

News Comments > New NVIDIA Beta Drivers
16. Re: New NVIDIA Beta Drivers Nov 28, 2011, 14:36 jimnms

I usually don't bother with NVIDIA's beta drivers, but after the WHQL 285.62 driver for BF3 killed video playback in WMC and WMP, I've been using beta 285.38 since then. They are working fine, so I didn't bother with 285.79 and I don't think I'll play driver roulette with these either.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > On Sale
15. Re: On Sale Nov 26, 2011, 22:13 jimnms

I was hoping Payday would go on sale, but secretly I was hoping it wouldn't because I feel like I've already got too much to do. I've got a friend that will go in on a 4-pack with me if we can find a couple of people to split the remaining copies with.

I passed on the DX:HR DLC yesterday, the content didn't seem worth the price after getting all of the FNV DLC for a little bit more. Maybe xmas/new years will have a better deal.

I'd like to get the Civ V DLC, but I only paid $11.37 for the game. That makes it hard justifying $14.36 for the DLC (if you buy the bundle packs and the three remaining singles).

Steam Profile

News Comments > On Sale
35. Re: On Sale Nov 26, 2011, 05:21 jimnms

OpticNerve wrote on Nov 26, 2011, 04:20:
Send them a quick ticket with their web support thing. They replied within 2 hours and forwarded me though so I didn't have to deal with the phonecall BS. 20% off Skyrim was too good to pass up :]

I did, but but after 2.5 hours I hadn't heard from them. Not knowing when the sale would end, I tried a different payment method and it went through. This was my first purchase with D2D, and I can't say it left a good impression on me.

Steam Profile

News Comments > On Sale
33. Re: On Sale Nov 26, 2011, 03:02 jimnms

I guess Direct2Drive doesn't want my money. I tried to pre-purchase Trine 2 with the 20% off BF code, and it asks for a phone number to authorize payment. I entered my phone number, but it says it can't process the call. I tried again, entering it with dashes, but I got the same error. Now it says I have reached the failed transaction limit. I'll just wait and see if Steam offers a better pre-order deal before it ships, otherwise $3 isn't that big of a deal.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > On Sale
19. Re: On Sale Nov 25, 2011, 21:53 jimnms

I was hoping Dead Island would be $10. One of my friends that I often play coop games with bought it a while back and doesn't like it, so I can't see paying more than $10 for it to play by myself or with strangers.  

Steam Profile

2166 Comments. 109 pages. Viewing page 39.
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo