Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2246 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Turn off your PC May 29, 2012, 23:30 jimnms

I've always turn mine off when I'm sleeping or not at home. I don't see the point in leaving it running 24/7 if its not doing anything. If you want another reason, it could save your house from burning down. I left mine running once when I just popped out for a few minutes. Those few minutes turned into a couple of hours. I got home, threw my keys on the desk went to the kitchen and came back to see my computer bellowing smoke and flames out the PSU. If I had stayed out 5 or 10 more minutes I may not have had a house to come home to.  

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue May 28, 2012, 01:35 jimnms

Well thanks to my shitty ISP, my weekend plans were ruined. With the BF3 xp weekend and the Red Orchestra 2 free weekend, I planned to just stay at home and game. I was going to start with RO2, but the SP and tutorials weren't available for the free portions. I didn't want to go in to a new game not knowing what I'm doing and not having played any MP games in a while, so I decided to warm up in BF2. I got a good 2 hours in before losing connection when the cable went down. It only went out for a minute, so I jumped back in. My connection kept going down every 5-10 minutes, so I stopped for an hour or so hoping they'd get done fucking with it. I came back and jumped into another BF3 game, my team was winning and I was in the top 3, and with seconds to go before the round ended I get disconnected again. It sucks that you lose all your progress when you get disconnected. The short outages continued, so I gave up. It's still doing this shit today, so I didn't even get to try RO2.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Skyrim to Add Mounted Combat
3. Re: Skyrim to Add Mounted Combat May 25, 2012, 20:39 jimnms

Can we get a first person horse perspective, otherwise combat on horseback is pointless. I don't use horses because I can't fucking stand the 3rd person view. I tried a mod for it, but it has some issues. Also give us the option to turn off the kill cams.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Arma 3 Lighting Trailer
6. Re: Arma 3 Lighting Trailer May 25, 2012, 16:52 jimnms

Underwater shooting? Are they giving up on realism with ArmA 3? I want to know if they're going to do anything with the AI this time. The AI really hasn't changed much since OFP.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Civilization V Free Weekend & Sale Underway
15. Re: Civilization V Free Weekend & Sale Underway May 25, 2012, 06:08 jimnms

I bought all of the DLC last time it was 75% off. There are some that you can get bundled together to save even more than buying each individual one. One of them is Korea and Wonders of the Ancient World - Combo Pack. The weird thing is when I go to the Wonders of the Ancient World store page it doesn't say I own it, but it shows me owning every one of the others on their store pages. I know I have it, it's listed on the DLC tab of the game properties, and I have the wonders listed in the DLC in my game.

My most memorable game(s) are from Civ III and the first Civ. My favorite is Civ III, although V is a close second. With that new addon they talked about a while back, it could take the #1 spot.

I liked Civ IV, but something never really felt right about it. I liked the idea of religion, but it didn't seem to have much of an impact. I tried playing as a militant Buddhist civilization and wiping out any civ that didn't adopt my religion, but I couldn't stop other religions from infecting my own civilization. The AI seemed too passive and wouldn't start wars, and if they did they only lasted a few turns. I played a game once to see how long I could go without building a military. I think I got into the era with gunpowder before another civ decided to attack me. I switched all of my cities into military production. I lost three cities, then as soon as I repelled an attack, the civ came to me practically begging for peace.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. May 24, 2012, 13:26 jimnms

Holy fuck, it has been that long already!  

MeanJim on Steam

10. Re: Monitor Troubles May 22, 2012, 23:13 jimnms

jdreyer wrote on May 22, 2012, 21:29:
JIMNMS, you might be able to get a monitor from Costco, and they have a very liberal return policy.

I don't have a Costco near me. All we have in town in Walmart and Office Max. There are three Best Buy's within an hour drive of me, but I already checked their website and didn't see anything that interested me.

I was wrong about Walmart, I was going by the website. When I go to monitors and click the in my store tab, it only shows the 19", but I decided to check anyway and they have a 23" Acer.

I completely forgot about Office Max even though they're next door to Walmart. I just looked at the Office Max website and it shows three monitors available at my local store, but there's no telling if it's accurate. They have a 23" Samsung, 24" AOC, a 23" and 25" HP. The only one of those available locally that has a VESA mount is the AOC. I can't find many reviews on it, but the few I found don't look too great. I need the VESA mount because I use a monitor arm mounted off to the side of my desk which lets the monitor "float" allowing me to use the space under it. I may go to Office Max and check out the HP tomorrow anyway, but if I want to get that ASUS by Friday I need to order it tonight.

MeanJim on Steam

8. Re: Monitor Troubles May 22, 2012, 19:06 jimnms

I stayed up late last night looking at more monitors and went to bed undecided. Luckily the monitor eventually came on today, so I've been looking more. I still haven't seen anything else to add to my list, so the Dell and ASUS still top the list so far, however now I'm leaning toward the ASUS.

I found some reviews of the Dell that mention a disturbing flicker from the way the backlight dims using pulse width modulation. There are some videos of it up on YouTube. I read up on it, and PWM is common even on CCFL displays but is more noticeable on LEDs. Either the ASUS doesn't use PWM or it's not noticeable because I couldn't find any mention of it.

I've found more professional reviews of the Dell than the ASUS, and more user reviews for the ASUS than the Dell. The only negative reviews for either come from user reviews at NewEgg, Amazon, etc. The negative reviews for the Dell are consistent, either they don't like the anti-glare coating or the backlight flicker. I'll keep looking and unless something changes my mind I'm going to order the ASUS before I go to bed.

I also did some digging into the symptoms of my monitor's problem and it's most likely due to bad capacitors in the monitors power supply. It looks like a fairly easy fix, so I'm going to give it a try once I get a replacement. I thought about getting the cheapest ~20" monitor from Walmart and returning it if/when I fix mine or get a replacement, but all they have is a 19" 1366x768 in stock.

MeanJim on Steam

28. Re: Monitor Troubles May 21, 2012, 22:59 jimnms

I've pretty much ruled out the 23". I don't want to go smaller and I'd be giving up 1" of vertical height even with the added 1.5" width. So I'm looking for a 24" whether it's 16:10 or 16:9. So far I'm looking at the Dell U2412M, which is an eIPS 1920x1200 display or the ASUS VS248H-P. Everywhere I look the reviews are pretty much the same for both. The only complaint I see about the Dell is the anti-glare coating seems to bother some people. The ASUS being a TN panel has the typical viewing angle issues, and some complaints about the stand (which won't effect me as I'll be mounting it on an arm). I hope this monitor will power up tomorrow because I doubt I'll make up my mind tonight.

I'm still slightly leaning toward the Dell because of the higher resolution. I don't think the anti-glare coating will bother me. The monitor I had before this one was an anti-glare matte screen and sometimes I wish this one had it instead of being glossy.

MeanJim on Steam

21. Re: Monitor Troubles May 21, 2012, 18:29 jimnms

Creston wrote on May 21, 2012, 15:45:
So if I understand you right, both your monitor AND PC were having troubles starting up? If so, I'd first swap out your UPS or power strip and see if that's the culprit.

As for monitors, I'm not really sure that IPS is really worth it. They're quite a bit more expensive, and I have one currently, and I'm really just not seeing the difference. Don't get me wrong, it's a FANTASTIC monitor (or rather I should say TV, as I just bought a 32" IPS LED), but I don't really see that this whole IPS stuff does anything my old viewsonic wasn't doing.

In my opinion, Dell is overpriced. They are good monitors (I have a 30" at work, great piece of equipment), but Viewsonic is just as great.

As for the difference between 16:9 and 16:10, eh, I never notice it. People went ballistic over the black bars on top and bottom in FEAR2, and I just never noticed them. They were there, but I had to actively look for them to see them.

I can heartily recommend Viewsonic. If you want to look at a TV for a monitor, get a Panasonic Viera. I have two of them (32" LED and 46" plasma), brilliant picture, never any issues, just great stuff.

Other than that, it's really just down to personal preferences. Viewsonic makes an awesome 27" monitor that I was going to buy when I wound up with the 32" Viera instead.

Creston

I'm just having monitor problems. The PC is finished booting before the monitor comes alive. The power indicator shows that it's on, but the backlight isn't on. I also hear a slight high pitch whine coming from it when it's off/standby that goes away when it turns on (even though the backlight hasn't come on yet).

I didn't pick out that monitor because it's IPS, it was just one of the first that I found when looking for a 1920x1200 monitor, and I like what I'm reading from reviews. It's an eIPS, which is sort of an in between TN and a true IPS panel. As for IPS vs TN, the last two monitors I've had were TN panels. The one before this was a 20" and I didn't have any problems with it, but with this 22" I do notice the vertical viewing issues.

Dell monitors are only expensive if you buy them from Dell. They're $50-$100 cheaper at places like NewEgg and Amazon.

MeanJim on Steam

13. Monitor Troubles May 21, 2012, 15:27 jimnms

Need some quick monitor advice. My 22" (1680x1050) monitor seems to be dying, and it may only last another day or two.

I started noticing about a week ago that I wasn't seeing the POST screen when I turned on my computer. It seemed to stay black longer before I saw the Windows startup logo. I usually punch the power button when I get up in the morning then go to the kitchen, but I can see the monitor out of the corner of my eye before I leave the room. The first few times I thought I was just missing it, so one day I shut the computer off and turned it back on and everything was normal.

To try and cut this short, after a few days of messing with it, it only does it after it stays off all night, so that only let me do one test per day on it. When it goes to standby for a few hours, it comes back on just fine. A few days ago it got to where the system was booting up to the Windows login screen and I still had to wait a few seconds before the monitor came on. The power indicator on the monitor turns from amber (standby) to blue (on) like normal as soon as I turn on the computer though. Once it comes on, it looks normal, it's not dim, it doesn't flicker and the colors look fine.

I checked the power cable and display cable, and even opened up the computer to make sure the video card was seated since I did move it around a month or so ago. Today when I turned the computer on, the power indicator turned blue and just flashed. I thought that was the end, but a few minutes later it finally came to life.

I did start to look at monitors over the weekend, but I really hate to make a rushed purchase. I was hoping I could hold off longer, but that doesn't seem like it's going to happen. This monitor and the ones before it, I took my time, researched and read reviews before picking the right one. I do like it, it's just the right size, the colors are great and it has a low input lag and response time which is good for gaming.

If I'm going to get have to get a new one I might as well upgrade, so I looked at monitors over the weekend. It seems like everything is going with 1080p resolution, but I kind of like the 16:10 aspect ratio. It looks like 1920x1200 monitors are getting hard to find.

I've found two that I like so far. One has a 16:10 ratio 1920x1200 that I like. It's Dell 24" with an eIPS panel instead of TN like my current one. I found a review that did some extensive tests and it has the same input lag as my current monitor even though it has an 8ms response time compared to my current monitor's 2ms. The same place (tftcentral.co.uk) reviewed my current monitor so it's easy to compare it side by side.

The second one is pretty much a 23" version of the one above except it's 1920x1080. The same review site tested it and it has a super low input lag of 0.6ms average (the one above and my current monitor both are 9ms).

I can't make up my mind, and I can't put this off. I really like the low input lag of the 23", but the 23" 16:9 is going to slightly shorter (but wider) than my current 22" 16:10. The dimensions on paper show I'll lose 1" of height and gain 1.5" of width. The only negative I see is cramming a higher res into the same size will make stuff smaller on screen. A 24" 16:9 monitor would be closer in size to a 22" 16:10, keeping about the same height and just being wider. However I haven't found a 24" 16:9 that I like so far.

The 24" Dell with the same aspect ratio and larger size should keep things on screen about the same scale as my current display, and it has an identical input lag as what I've been using. I'm worried that the larger size will be uncomfortable to sit in front of at my desk, and it will definitely take up more room.

I am slightly leaning toward the 24" Dell 16:10, but I'm open to suggestions.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > On Sale
12. Re: Amazon 12 Days of Deals May 18, 2012, 01:18 jimnms

PHJF wrote on May 18, 2012, 00:00:
On top of that, I can't play Operation Arrowhead online at all because it fucking says "invalid cd key" every time I attempt to join a server. ArmA2, however, works fine. Problem being DayZ must be run from Operation Arrowhead. So now I'm redownloading the 6.21GB from Amazon and trying a fucking reinstallation of Arrowhead.

Don't you backup the installers? That would save a hell of a lot of time for future re/installs. I picked up ArmA Combined Ops from Amazon back in the 2010 xmas sale for $12.50 and have played online with a couple of friends several times. You might need to contact Amazon and get a new key.

The Half Elf wrote on May 17, 2012, 22:43:
Damn thanks, I'll wait for a Steam sale as I already have ARMA II on that and honestly have no interest in buying the game again, but I really would like to try out dayz.

Why would you rather have this on Steam when the Amazon download is DRM free?

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Time Warner Cable Kills the Roadrunner - And Makes Several Speed and Price Changes. May 16, 2012, 01:29 jimnms

Wow, I can't believe my local cable co. is now faster and cheaper than TWC. They just bumped the standard service up to 12Mbps from 10Mbps, which is $49/month. I've seen ads saying they offer speeds up to 50Mbps, but no mention of price. The service has been shit lately though, probably due to the upgrade. The cable goes down during random times of the day (even during primetime hours), sometimes just for a minute or two and sometimes hours.

I guess I can thank AT&T. Until they began offering U-verse here, I only had 4Mbps down and 256Kbps up. Last time I checked, AT&T's fastest offering was 18Mbps in my area.

MeanJim on Steam

14. Re: Facts you might not know about game of thrones May 14, 2012, 19:36 jimnms

nin wrote on May 14, 2012, 11:39:
British WWII fighter found in Egyptian desert.

That's a neat story...reminds me of this one from a few weeks ago.

I watched a documentary a few years ago about a group attempting to rescue and restore a B-29 that had been sitting frozen in Greenland when the crew got lost and ran out of fuel. The crew was rescued, but plane sat there frozen for decades.

It's available to watch online, but if you don't want to watch it, secret text spoilers follow. It was a pretty sad ending. They failed to get it out during the short few months of summer they had, and the main guy behind the operation became sick and died. One of the crew re-organized and returned to finish the job the following year. They restored the plane to flying condition, but while taxiing to takeoff they forgot to shut off an auxiliary generator after starting the main engines, which broke from its mount and caught fire. They were able to get out of the plane, but had to watch as two years of hard work burned to the ground.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
19. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 14, 2012, 18:55 jimnms

eunichron wrote on May 14, 2012, 12:55:
The only thing I liked from the Win8 consumer preview was the new task manager. I really, really, hope they import that to Win7.

I've only seen it in screen shots and preview videos. It does look better than the Win7 task manager, but it looks like they just incorporated and simplified some of the features of the Win7 Resource Monitor into the Task Manager. I still prefer Process Explorer though.

I highly doubt it will officially be ported to Win7, but I'm sure unofficially it will find its way.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 14, 2012, 12:30 jimnms

Capella wrote on May 14, 2012, 12:12:
I love the ribbon interface in Explorer in 8. Hope there is a way to import that into 7.
The ribbon interface is something that should be killed, buried and never talked about again.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
4. Re: Sunday Mobilization May 13, 2012, 16:39 jimnms

Ozmodan wrote on May 13, 2012, 14:21:
I serious doubt that many people are dumb enough to use facebook to message considering their penchant for using your personal information.
I can believe it. People are using Facebook now as a replacement for email and other things. I have a Facebook account, but my profile is bare (just email and city). I have Facebook notifications turned off, and a couple of friends keep asking me why I haven't replied to their "email" when they send me shit on Facebook. Another friend of mine sent wedding invitations over Facebook. I check Facebook once a month at most, so I didn't get the invite in time.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
5. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 12, 2012, 18:15 jimnms

D4rkKnight wrote on May 12, 2012, 15:45:
Based on my experience before I went laser, they barely fill those ink cartridges. With my Canon, if I stopped using it for a few weeks after buying a fresh one, it wouldn't even work anymore.

Thank god for the Brother Laser printers, best $80 I ever spent.

They also dry out if you don't use them. You pretty much have to replace ink cartridges every 3-4 months whether you use them or not. I hardly ever print anything, but it it was too damn expensive having to buy a $30 ink cartridge that often only to print a few pages in that time.

I got a deal on a Samsung laser printer/scanner/copier several years ago for $90 after rebate. Then by luck CompUSA went out of business and I stopped by on the last day when everything not bolted down was 90% off and found three toner cartridges for it. The starter cartridge that came with the printer was supposed to be good for 2000 pages, but it ran out before ever going through one ream of paper. After that I was worried that toner cartridges were going to be designed to quit working after a certain time too, but I've now been on the same cartridge for 3 years.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Free Midnight Club 2
7. Re: Free Midnight Club 2 May 10, 2012, 22:08 jimnms

Karin wrote on May 10, 2012, 20:53:
This is on the Steam page for Midnight Club 2:

Notice: This game does not support Windows 7 or Windows Vista.
"Does not support" doesn't mean "does not work." I have plenty of games and other programs working in Windows 7 that aren't "supported." Googling "midnight club 2 windows 7" shows that it is possible to make it work in Windows Vista and Windows 7.

MeanJim on Steam

2246 Comments. 113 pages. Viewing page 38.
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo