Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2165 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ] Older >

News Comments > Skyrim Patched
7. Re: Skyrim Patched Mar 20, 2012, 22:12 jimnms

Techie714 © wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 21:49:
An amazing sandbox RPG with great graphics & mechanics. With a really bland & boring story line....Not to mention dumbed down character stats & management...

...balance issues, useless perk trees... I never finished the main quest, I just stopped playing after getting frustrated with the stupid way some things were done. It started out fun though.

Steam Profile
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Beta Patch
29. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Beta Patch Mar 16, 2012, 19:35 jimnms

I used a first person kill-cam mod for a while, but they still get annoying, so now I use the disable kill-cam mod. I would love for it to be an option like it is in New Vegas.

Will Beth ever make a game that doesn't require dozens of mods to fix bugs and balance issues. There is a better smithing overhaul mod on the nexus. I don't know the name of it since I'm out of town. It basically makes the smithing tree more like the other trees with the base option being weapon/armor improving with 5 increasing levels. Then it branches out to the different metals you can use.

The armor smithing and improving needs more work than fixing the spamming of daggers and bracers. I didn't spam shit to level up, I just played the game and picked up the materials along the way. I was so excited when I got smithing to 100, I immediately ran back to my house to make some dragon scale armor only to find out I didn't have enough scales to make and improve a full set of armor. I decided to look it up on the wiki to see what I needed and I would go about my business and come back when I had enough.

This is when I fin out how screwed up it is. The game, like previous games (and FO3) have a damage resistance cap of 80 or 85. The wiki people figured out what that translates to in armor rating and it's 560 ir 570 something. Any armor rating above that is useless. The glass armor I have already has a rating of over 700, so making dragon armor is pointless. I did make some anyway just to compare, and a full set, fully improved was only had 26 higher armor rating than the glass armor I already had if I fully upgrade it.

I've seen people making insane armors with 6000+ ratings using alchemy and enchanting hacks, but I guess they don't realize they're wasting their time. It would be useful to make armor with ratings higher than the 560/570 if armor degraded.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. Re: Can Windows 8 satisfy desktop and tablet? Mar 5, 2012, 15:18 jimnms

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 5, 2012, 13:52:
It could if they make the Metro UI optional so desktop users can turn it off (or better yet not even install it), but then Windows 8 wouldn't have anything to set itself apart from Windows 7.
You actually can turn it off, and use the Windows 7 style interface.
Check out youtube for some preview videos.
Not with the latest release of the consumer preview. You can go to a Windows interface, but clicking where the start button used to be brings you back to the metro interface. The registry hacks that worked in previous versions to bring back the old style start menu don't work anymore.

Steam Profile

7. Re: Can Windows 8 satisfy desktop and tablet? Mar 5, 2012, 13:39 jimnms

Creston wrote on Mar 5, 2012, 10:52:
No.

Creston

It could if they make the Metro UI optional so desktop users can turn it off (or better yet not even install it), but then Windows 8 wouldn't have anything to set itself apart from Windows 7.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Linux is the world’s fastest growing desktop OS – up 64% in 9 months. Mar 1, 2012, 23:28 jimnms

wtf_man wrote on Mar 1, 2012, 22:59:
After Windows 8... it just might be!

Windows 7 will be the next XP and Windows 8 will be remembered along with Me and Vista.

I used to be into Linux back when you pretty much had to download and compile everything yourself, none of this fancy repository stuff (fuck that makes me sound old). FreeBSD was actually the first *NIX OS I toyed with. I let it download all night on my 28.8Kbps dialup connection. Next was RedHat 2.something. I read a few books, and learned on my own UNIX/Linux, the vi editor and BASH scripting. Then I got a boxed copy of RedHat 3 at a computer conference. I still have it, it's really nice and comes with a big thick manual. With no formal training I landed a job at a local ISP using Linux, then later went to work for another ISP migrating their servers from expensive Solaris machines to Linux, and then on to installing networks and Linux servers for local businesses.

Now it's just something I toy with in VirtualBox. I have about half a dozen different distro's installed, but I don't see myself using it as my primary desktop OS any time soon. After all these years, Linux still has a long way to go to be a serious threat in the desktop OS market. When it comes to servers, it would still be my preferred server OS if I were still in that business.

Steam Profile

News Comments > New Minecraft
4. Re: New Minecraft Mar 1, 2012, 19:48 jimnms

I just played around in it for a little while. First I converted my old world since as far out as I've explored it's all snow except the little patch of forest that I built a home in. I haven't found any towns, so I should be good without having to start over.

I copied my world seed and started a new world using that seed to see if it generated the same world and it didn't come close, so the new world generator is completely different. Then I created a new creative mode world with a random seed and got put in a jungle. The jungles are kick ass. I used the vines to climb one of the big trees to make a tree house.

Then I went back to my old survival world that I've been playing for the past few weeks, and the new AI is definitely going to make things more challenging. I have a nice mine near my house that originally was hole in the ground. I cleaned it up a bit and put in stairs to make getting in and out easier. Then when I created a basement in my house, I cut a path to get to the mine from the basement. I went out the front of the house to be greeted by a creeper waiting outside the fence. I thought I'd sneak through the basement and come up the stairs and get him from behind like I used to. They used to try to walk through obstacles, but now he came around and was there to greet me when I came up. He blew up and messed up my nice mine entrance.

I play on normal mode, so I haven't seen the zombies knock down doors, but they did bang on them and fence gates. I'd like to see them add something like during full moons the zombies become more aggressive, knock down wooden doors and break fences, etc., rather than just doing it on hard mode.

Now I need to get my friends to get back in it and get our server back up. We had a lot of fun before beta 1.8. We had four mine sites and a central castle with a nice rail system to travel on. Then when 1.8 came out, we decided to start over because of the new world features, but then we kind of fizzled out.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Steamworks Support
21. Re: Borderlands 2 Steamworks Support Feb 29, 2012, 23:48 jimnms

Blackhawk wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 12:26:
jimnms wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 12:05:
We did do every possible quest, and all of the DLC, but didn't beat the final boss because it required a 2nd play through to level up enough to take it on.

Had you done a second playthrough, you'd have discovered that the boss had leveled up right along with you.

The one I'm talking about was level 70 or something, and spits out mini version that were level 60. At the end of our first play through we were in the 40's and couldn't even scratch the damn thing.

The first play through got easy after a while. We were leveled way over every mission available. We did start a second play through, but the mission scaling still was below us. It wasn't even a challenge, so we quit.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Steamworks Support
10. Re: Borderlands 2 Steamworks Support Feb 29, 2012, 12:05 jimnms

Two of the DLC's had DRM with limited activations. I'll wait for the all of the DLC to be released and buy the complete version on sale for <$10 like I did the first one. I bought it for me and a couple of friends and we did enjoy it, although it became repetitive after a while, and we never really "finished" it. We did do every possible quest, and all of the DLC, but didn't beat the final boss because it required a 2nd play through to level up enough to take it on.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Minecraft Preview Build; Mod Support Plans
2. Re: Minecraft Preview Build; Mod Support Plans Feb 29, 2012, 11:58 jimnms

I've recently started playing this again. I've watched some videos of the pre-release snapshots and like the changes, especially the new jungle biome. I don't think I'll need to start a new map since I spawned in a small forest surrounded by a snow biome. As far out as I've explored from my little home is snow. I have not run into a village yet, so I don't think I'll have to worry about the changes to them.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 23, 2012, 16:40 jimnms

Sir Graves wrote on Feb 23, 2012, 15:29:
Spring is approaching? First I've heard.
Winter seems to have taken a vacation here. We skipped from Summer straight to Spring.

Steam Profile

26. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 22, 2012, 00:45 jimnms

PHJF wrote on Feb 21, 2012, 15:51:
I've been using winRAR for the past... eight years?

Why wouldn't you use winRAR?

I quit using WinRAR a few years ago, replacing it with 7-Zip. I paid for for a RAR license too after using an the shareware version for a years. I converted my personal backup archives from RAR to 7-Zips and saved a lot of space. Most of the time 7-Zip will get better compression and do it faster, but a few times RAR did better. The overall difference was pretty significant. I don't have exact numbers since that was a while ago.

The 7zip compression is open source, so if you don't like the the 7-Zip program, you can use others like PeaZip.

Steam Profile

5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 21, 2012, 22:48 jimnms

I prefer Xfce these days. Both Gnome and KDE are turning into turds.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Be Mine Indie Bundle
7. Re: Be Mine Indie Bundle Feb 21, 2012, 19:46 jimnms

Prez wrote on Feb 21, 2012, 18:31:
I bought it but already owned "The Ball" and "Nikopol". Below are the keys if anyone wants them. (Please post when you use one so everyone isn't trying to activate with the same code - they are only usable for one person)

The Ball: TDCQD-EPRXC-GAJGN

Nikopol: EQ7WI-CWEEQ-I7WVK

I activated Nikopol.

Steam Profile

1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 14, 2012, 23:48 jimnms

Looks like the LibO guy's screwed up the file. I downloaded 3.5.0 Final, verified checksums, but it installs 3.5.0rc3.  

Steam Profile

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 14, 2012, 13:27 jimnms

They need to patch the texture pack. There is already an unofficial fix at the nexus. There are some files that are misspelled, which causes the texture to not load or leave the object without a texture. I first noticed this because I was in Riften when I installed it, and a tree stump in the town turned blue. I also got a horrible stutter when looking in certain directions, which only happened with the texture pack enabled. After installing the unofficial fix, the stutter went away.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 13, 2012, 12:35 jimnms

Would it kill you to get some beer every now and then? Stupid bees and their stupid honey.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > New GTA4 iCEnhancer
2. Re: New GTA4 iCEnhancer Feb 13, 2012, 11:36 jimnms

I tried this once, but I don't know what version. It looked different, but I wouldn't necessarily say it was better. It basically looked like they just crank up the brightness and contrast. I personally think that it looked too bright and washed out in the day time, but dusk/dawn looked good. I'll wait for some mirror sites before I try this version.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
6. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 11, 2012, 20:39 jimnms

I picked up a 1TB WD passport for a little over $50 post-flood at Staples. Even after they recover, I bet prices will stay high for a while. It's a good thing I'm set for space, unless a drive crashes. My system has a 1.5TB main drive and a 1TB backup. I have an old 400GB and 250GB around if I need them.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
10. Re: Chrome Feb 11, 2012, 20:31 jimnms

Shok wrote on Feb 11, 2012, 19:51:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Feb 11, 2012, 19:22:
Is this a problem with all nvidia cards, or just some of them? I was just considering shopping for a new card, but I definitely don't want one that's going to mess up FF for me. Would go with AMD for sure if that's the case.

Yes, apparently so if you use the 280 release drivers. To be honest, it didn't crash daily...only 3-4 times a week or so. And by crash, I mean the video driver crashed not Firefox. Basically, you get a black screen out of the blue for a few seconds and the vid driver pops up a tooltip that it recovered from a crash.

I'm currently running 290.53, but even with the 280 drivers I never had that problem with my GTX 470.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Skyrim Sizzle Reel
38. Re: Skyrim Sizzle Reel Feb 10, 2012, 00:25 jimnms

Silicon Avatar wrote on Feb 9, 2012, 22:17:
I still wish someone would redo the lockpicking mini-game. Porting that over from Fallout 3/NV and giving it minor difficulty tweaks was such a cheap move. They should have made something all new.

I agree. Also, the lock picking branch of perks is useless since the locks get easier to pick as your skill goes up. At 100 lock picking skill, with no perks, I can pick a master lock only breaking three picks max.

There are other balance issues that Beth never gets right. For example, the abundance of health, stamina and magicka potions laying around everywhere, which making alchemy useless. Now that the creation kit is out, I look forward to the mods to fix this.

Steam Profile

2165 Comments. 109 pages. Viewing page 37.
< Newer [ 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo