Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2195 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

News Comments > On Sale
12. Re: Amazon 12 Days of Deals May 18, 2012, 01:18 jimnms

PHJF wrote on May 18, 2012, 00:00:
On top of that, I can't play Operation Arrowhead online at all because it fucking says "invalid cd key" every time I attempt to join a server. ArmA2, however, works fine. Problem being DayZ must be run from Operation Arrowhead. So now I'm redownloading the 6.21GB from Amazon and trying a fucking reinstallation of Arrowhead.

Don't you backup the installers? That would save a hell of a lot of time for future re/installs. I picked up ArmA Combined Ops from Amazon back in the 2010 xmas sale for $12.50 and have played online with a couple of friends several times. You might need to contact Amazon and get a new key.

The Half Elf wrote on May 17, 2012, 22:43:
Damn thanks, I'll wait for a Steam sale as I already have ARMA II on that and honestly have no interest in buying the game again, but I really would like to try out dayz.

Why would you rather have this on Steam when the Amazon download is DRM free?

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Time Warner Cable Kills the Roadrunner - And Makes Several Speed and Price Changes. May 16, 2012, 01:29 jimnms

Wow, I can't believe my local cable co. is now faster and cheaper than TWC. They just bumped the standard service up to 12Mbps from 10Mbps, which is $49/month. I've seen ads saying they offer speeds up to 50Mbps, but no mention of price. The service has been shit lately though, probably due to the upgrade. The cable goes down during random times of the day (even during primetime hours), sometimes just for a minute or two and sometimes hours.

I guess I can thank AT&T. Until they began offering U-verse here, I only had 4Mbps down and 256Kbps up. Last time I checked, AT&T's fastest offering was 18Mbps in my area.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Facts you might not know about game of thrones May 14, 2012, 19:36 jimnms

nin wrote on May 14, 2012, 11:39:
British WWII fighter found in Egyptian desert.

That's a neat story...reminds me of this one from a few weeks ago.

I watched a documentary a few years ago about a group attempting to rescue and restore a B-29 that had been sitting frozen in Greenland when the crew got lost and ran out of fuel. The crew was rescued, but plane sat there frozen for decades.

It's available to watch online, but if you don't want to watch it, secret text spoilers follow. It was a pretty sad ending. They failed to get it out during the short few months of summer they had, and the main guy behind the operation became sick and died. One of the crew re-organized and returned to finish the job the following year. They restored the plane to flying condition, but while taxiing to takeoff they forgot to shut off an auxiliary generator after starting the main engines, which broke from its mount and caught fire. They were able to get out of the plane, but had to watch as two years of hard work burned to the ground.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
19. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 14, 2012, 18:55 jimnms

eunichron wrote on May 14, 2012, 12:55:
The only thing I liked from the Win8 consumer preview was the new task manager. I really, really, hope they import that to Win7.

I've only seen it in screen shots and preview videos. It does look better than the Win7 task manager, but it looks like they just incorporated and simplified some of the features of the Win7 Resource Monitor into the Task Manager. I still prefer Process Explorer though.

I highly doubt it will officially be ported to Win7, but I'm sure unofficially it will find its way.

MeanJim on Steam

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 14, 2012, 12:30 jimnms

Capella wrote on May 14, 2012, 12:12:
I love the ribbon interface in Explorer in 8. Hope there is a way to import that into 7.
The ribbon interface is something that should be killed, buried and never talked about again.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
4. Re: Sunday Mobilization May 13, 2012, 16:39 jimnms

Ozmodan wrote on May 13, 2012, 14:21:
I serious doubt that many people are dumb enough to use facebook to message considering their penchant for using your personal information.
I can believe it. People are using Facebook now as a replacement for email and other things. I have a Facebook account, but my profile is bare (just email and city). I have Facebook notifications turned off, and a couple of friends keep asking me why I haven't replied to their "email" when they send me shit on Facebook. Another friend of mine sent wedding invitations over Facebook. I check Facebook once a month at most, so I didn't get the invite in time.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
5. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 12, 2012, 18:15 jimnms

D4rkKnight wrote on May 12, 2012, 15:45:
Based on my experience before I went laser, they barely fill those ink cartridges. With my Canon, if I stopped using it for a few weeks after buying a fresh one, it wouldn't even work anymore.

Thank god for the Brother Laser printers, best $80 I ever spent.

They also dry out if you don't use them. You pretty much have to replace ink cartridges every 3-4 months whether you use them or not. I hardly ever print anything, but it it was too damn expensive having to buy a $30 ink cartridge that often only to print a few pages in that time.

I got a deal on a Samsung laser printer/scanner/copier several years ago for $90 after rebate. Then by luck CompUSA went out of business and I stopped by on the last day when everything not bolted down was 90% off and found three toner cartridges for it. The starter cartridge that came with the printer was supposed to be good for 2000 pages, but it ran out before ever going through one ream of paper. After that I was worried that toner cartridges were going to be designed to quit working after a certain time too, but I've now been on the same cartridge for 3 years.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Free Midnight Club 2
7. Re: Free Midnight Club 2 May 10, 2012, 22:08 jimnms

Karin wrote on May 10, 2012, 20:53:
This is on the Steam page for Midnight Club 2:

Notice: This game does not support Windows 7 or Windows Vista.
"Does not support" doesn't mean "does not work." I have plenty of games and other programs working in Windows 7 that aren't "supported." Googling "midnight club 2 windows 7" shows that it is possible to make it work in Windows Vista and Windows 7.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Wolfenstein 3D Freebies
20. Re: Wolfenstein 3D Freebies May 9, 2012, 22:34 jimnms

deqer wrote on May 9, 2012, 19:42:
Now suddenly Bethesda shows up and starts yapping about these titles? in 2012? a little late don't you think?
They didn't suddenly show up, Bethesda has been around longer than id.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Wolfenstein 3D Freebies
8. Re: Wolfenstein 3D Freebies May 9, 2012, 13:18 jimnms

I think I still have my Wolf3D shareware disk somewhere. It's nice of them to release it for free, but I'm not infecting my system with itunes to get it.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Carmageddon: Reincarnation Kickstarter
20. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Kickstarter May 9, 2012, 10:51 jimnms

Cutter wrote on May 8, 2012, 23:46:
Bumpy wrote on May 8, 2012, 22:57:
God damn mother.

Sometimes things happen at just the right time. SG sure timed it right this time being able to jump on the kickstarter wave that's currently happening.

Hope this allows them to truly let loose all their creative glory like they did with Carma1.

Now, where is the Interstate '76 kickstarter?

Oh man, I'd love to see a new I76 style game!

My dream game would be like I-76 with an open world dynamic campaign type mission system. Kind of like a flight sim, but with cars.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black May 9, 2012, 08:46 jimnms

Prez wrote on May 9, 2012, 00:42:
Is that Mr. Rogers pic photoshopped? God I hope so...

Nope: http://videosift.com/video/Where-is-Tall-Man

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Jane Jensen's Moebius Revealed
9. Re: Jane Jensen's Moebius Revealed May 9, 2012, 07:25 jimnms

Wikidd wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 15:29:
That's the same Jane Jenson who was responsible for the death of adventure games, right?
I never played any of the Gabriel Knight games, but that does sound insane. I started out with text adventure games on a TRS-80. Some were text only, and some had a picture window, but you still typed things like "look at drawer" etc. The most memorable adventure games I played were Space Quest 1-3 and the first Police Quest. I played SQ with a friend as we tried to figure out the puzzles, so it was kind of like a multi-player game. I also remember in those games there were multiple ways to solve most of the puzzles.

MeanJim on Steam

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 8, 2012, 20:19 jimnms

Ozmodan wrote on May 8, 2012, 14:27:
Not sure why people get excited about Gimp, it is a unix program, not a windows one.
You either didn't read the article or didn't make it to the second sentence: "The cross-platform image editor has been available for Windows, OS X and Linux for many years now..."

I've been using it a while, ever since Corel bought Paintshop Pro and turned it to shit.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Text-to-911 May 5, 2012, 07:50 jimnms

Seriously? I can see it now:
pls hlp im hurt snd amlnce qik

MeanJim on Steam

28. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 4, 2012, 18:09 jimnms

Agent.X7 wrote on May 4, 2012, 12:50:
pnag wrote on May 4, 2012, 11:37:
I use Media Center (not Media player, there is a difference) for watching all my media (blu-ray, Avi's, Mkv's, live satellite tv etc)

Tried all the alternatives (MythTV, XBMC etc) and in terms of overall functionality? Nothing came close.

I think it's a mistake to remove it, as I doubt the codec licensing savings will be passed on to the end user.

Surprised at blue to hear him say he'd pay to *not* have it?!?

You're only surprised because you are one of the minority that like Media Center. It's intrusive and it starts itself at the most annoying times. I'll take any media software over that.

You know you can uninstall Media Center if you don't like it. It doesn't auto start, and the only files it's associated with are .wtv and .dvr-ms which are recorded shows in Media Center. I have an HTPC build on Win7 using Media Center. I record shows OTA HD and basic cable, and watch DVD and Blu-ray movies. Microsoft is basically giving people another reason not to upgrade to Win8.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > On Sale
1. DCS A-10C Warthog May 2, 2012, 22:25 jimnms

Damn that is tempting. I've been out of flight simming for a while though. I have Black Shark, but I haven't put much time into it.

I think the main reason I haven't played Black Shark too much is the lack of a dynamic campaign. The training is fun, but once you've learned it, there's not much left to do. I don't like the static missions and branching campaigns. Replaying the same mission over until you complete it gets old.

This comment was edited on May 2, 2012, 22:31.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
20. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 30, 2012, 19:00 jimnms

Prez wrote on Apr 30, 2012, 18:10:
Well, to get the obvious out of the way, on average well less than a gig of it is from torrents. I may occasionally torrent shows I can't find elsewhere on pay services, etc, but in truth, all it took was cutting the cord. My daughter watches two to three hours a day worth of anime and CW crap on Netflix, my wife watches old sitcom re-runs on Hulu for 2 hours a night, and my son and I watch tons of TV over Amazon Instant Video and Netflix. Considering that I'm a night owl, there's usually a TV going non-stop from dusk to dawn in my house. Add in VOIP telephone with two females and a couple of multiplayer gaming-obsessed kids in the house and we blow the cap out of the water without even trying.
That's one thing that they don't factor in about caps is family size. A single person and a family of four have the same cap. By my self I used to only rack up 50-60GB a month. My sister cut her cable and internet to save money and they come over here and mooch off of mine. With my sister doing her shit and my niece watching crap on Netflix, I'm now nudging the 150GB cap my ISP has. I don't think it's enforced, but I do have basic cable as well.

Until recently it used to say there was a 30GB cap on their web site, when I was doing double that. But for over a year their site was out of date showing the fastest package as 4Mbit when the standard package was 10Mbit. It's still out of date though as it shows the highest speed package is 10Mbit, but sometime ago they upgraded. I'm getting 12Mbit, and their TV commercial advertises speeds up to 50Mbps. Of course there wasn't a cap when I signed up years ago, and I was never officially informed of a cap.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
2. Re: Saturday Metaverse Apr 28, 2012, 15:31 jimnms

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Apr 28, 2012, 13:08:
Let me know once they have Middle Earth Street View ready to go

You can walk it yourself in Minecraft:
http://www.mcmiddleearth.com/

There are videos too
Part 1: http://youtu.be/QhksNvUwaRc
Part 2: http://youtu.be/PoU_OHkrjsw)

MeanJim on Steam

2195 Comments. 110 pages. Viewing page 36.
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo