Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2172 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
22. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 24, 2012, 21:05 jimnms

Jerykk wrote on Jun 24, 2012, 18:33:
Orogogus wrote on Jun 24, 2012, 17:03:
Chromius wrote on Jun 24, 2012, 16:52:
Civ IV was the last Civ game for me. Civ 5 was dumbed down (simplified) way too much for the console masses just like many other titles in the last few years

If that's the case, I think they missed a key part of the strategy, i.e., actually releasing it for the consoles they dumbed it down for.

This. If you're going to accuse a game of being consolized, at least check to make sure it was actually released for consoles. Civ 5 may have been simplified but it had nothing to do with consoles.

I have yet to see this dumbing down in Civ V. Some parts of the game were streamlined or simplified, but not dumbed down. I find it more challenging than Civ IV. No longer can I create a huge military stack and steam roll my way to an easy domination or territory victory. I tried creating a massive army in my first game and dominating the other civs only to find my civilization crumbling due to massive unhappieness from expanding too fast and razing and conquering a few cities. By the time I managed to get my civs happy enough to begin producing stuff and my military fighting again, I was left in the dust while the other civs had advanced way ahead of me. Civ V requires a lot more strategy and planning than Civ IV.

Steam Profile
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Top 10
21. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 24, 2012, 20:50 jimnms

Sepharo wrote on Jun 24, 2012, 17:12:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 24, 2012, 16:39:
Sepharo wrote on Jun 24, 2012, 14:40:
As far as the expansion goes... Meh, I don't think it brings all that much to the game. Spies and religion felt very minor in terms of my empire. I had some religious perks that gave me gold for every follower, faster border expansion, and faster religion expansion. Being the top religion was very easy and maintenance free and I got some big borders and extra gold out of it.
I disagree. Spies make a huge difference to diplomatic victories and mean that city states are no longer just huge money sinks. Faith allows you to customise the game to your play style, which for me means a focus on happiness and/or production. More importantly, the AI has received a complete overhaul and is much more compelling - especially now that you can take cities from the sea (very useful for dealing with city states). In addition the entire game has been rebalanced, so cities are much stronger and siege units are much more important. And the new civs have some interesting perks, like the ability to annex a city state via forced marriage or razing cities at twice the rate.

I put the expansion right up there with Beyond The Sword.

You disagree but I agree with everything you wrote

I wasn't sure if the AI and general game improvements were part of the expansion or just patches since I last played at launch. As far as spies go... I'm always the one with all the city state allies anyway, I do pay them frequently but since I usually focus on gold anyway it's no big deal... Also the missions help a lot and it seems that they cut down on the "destroy this encampment" missions. Most of mine were "connect a road to us", "have this luxury resource", and "generate the most culture/faith/happiness in a certain period" all of which were easy. Perhaps I have the difficulty too low, I think it's a few notches above default though.

edit: Oh... they just don't give you enough spies to have a huge effect in my opinion either. I think you get 2 by the modern age, and then another if you build the NSA. Probably an extra if you're a specific leader too.

So far I'm enjoying the expansion. I'm still in my first game with it, and I was the 2nd civ to founded a religion, and a neighboring civ founded one after me. I like that you get to pick perks for your religion, one for you if you're the founder and follower perks. I happened to have my capitol city near 4 sources of wine, and one of the pantheon beliefs was +1 faith for each source of wine, so I chose that. When I was able to expand it to a full religion, I chose the monastery deal that adds more faith for each source of wine worked by a city, so I'm rolling in faith. I bought a prophet (or whatever it is) to spread my religion to one of my cities and to my neighbor because his religion was starting to push into one of my cities. I like the way religion is done with this expansion. In Civ IV religion really wasn't useful.

I'm not sure of the AI enhancements yet (if there are any). I usually play with the random personalities turned on so that you don't know what a leader is going to be like, but this game I left it off since I'm playing with the new civs and leaders. I think the AI cheats, or it was huge coincidence and this particular civ leader is just weird. I only have one civ on my borders, Pacal of the Mayans. I was thinking that he would eventually attack me because of our close borders, and there is a lot of unclaimed land north of my territory that no one else can get to without going through me. My military was a bit pathetic, just two archers, two or three spearmen and a warrior. My military adviser said that our military was no match for theirs and not to mess with them, so I was planning to beef up my military. Then I started a golden age, so I took a gamble and switched two of my three cities to building world wonders. One of the wonders was Stonehenge.

The very next turn, Pacal declares war on me, and when his military stormed out of the fog, it was warriors and his unique version of archers. He focused his attack on the city where I was building Stonehenge. I'm playing as Carthage, and I had enough gold to buy two spearmen or my unique unit the African War Elephant. I chose to go with the war elephant because of its special fear penalty it puts on nearby enemy units. I weakened his units with attacks from the city and the archers in the city. He hit a couple of my units hard which I pulled back to heal, then my war elephant got there and I took out three of his units before I had to retreat it to heal. He chased it down with three of his archer units and killed it though. Anyway, he made three attacks at the city then retreated and offered a peace treaty and some gold, which I gladly took.

After this he is all nice to me and shit. He attacked me with weak units when he had more powerful units. He was either testing my defenses, trying to get rid of obsolete units, or this is part of his personality or just AI weirdness.

A bit later, I'm two turns from completing Stonehenge when Pacal beats me to it. Either the AI cheats and he knew I was building Stonehenge too since he only attacked the city where I was building it, maybe trying to force me to change production. It could be a coincidence because it was the closest city to his border, but only by one tile. Either way, I now have a sizable military presence on our border now, and he's still friendly to me.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 23, 2012, 21:57 jimnms

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 23, 2012, 15:52:
In preparation for the Steam Sale - I have the following games for free/trade if anyone would like:

*2 copies - Post Apocalyptic Mayhem
*1 copy - Nuclear Dawn (showed up today for no reason)
*1 copy - The Ship
*1 copy - Torchlight 1
*1 copy - Terraria (gave Blue almost a year to claim it as a gift)

Also, it anyone playing the free Source based Vindictus (action MMO).
http://store.steampowered.com/app/212160

In preparation for the summer sale, I'm putting Steam in offline mode and avoiding Blues News until it's over.

I have three copies of The Ship, one Nuclear Dawn, Half Life 2 and Grid (which I got for doing the winter achievements and haven't decided if I'm going to play it yet). I also have Steam keys for Killing Floor and Plain Sight from an indie bundle.

One thing we can do for game giveaways is to create group giveaways on Steam Gifts. Everyone would need to be in the Blues News Steam group and sign up on Steam Gifts. That way winners will be picked at random instead of luck of first come first served.

Steam Profile

19. Re: Random thoughts (DayZ, Fallout MMO) Jun 23, 2012, 21:35 jimnms

I finally got it to do it (http://imgur.com/bIwdh). The error(s) in the box are different each time. Clicking dismiss or continue closes it and the page still works fine.  

Steam Profile

18. Re: Random thoughts (DayZ, Fallout MMO) Jun 23, 2012, 21:29 jimnms

PHJF wrote on Jun 23, 2012, 19:11:
If you were out in the wasteland scavenging, questing, etc. and saw another person, you wouldn't know if they were friendly or would shoot you on sight and loot your stuff. If they were friendly, you could trade, team up, but never really know if they're going to shoot you in the back when you're not expecting it.

This was supposed to be STALKER until the realities of game development hit GSC like a brick to the nuts.

Anyways I went back to Flash 10.3 and it solved my Firefox problem.

Yes, but Stalker was always going to be SP.

As for Firefox/flash, since updating flash the other day I get an error box pop up when I visit pages with flash content. I forget what it says and now that just tried to make it do it, it's not popping up. Once it did freeze Firefox, but I killed the plugin-container.exe process and Firefox was fine.

Steam Profile

15. Random thoughts (DayZ, Fallout MMO) Jun 23, 2012, 19:07 jimnms

I played a bit of DayZ when it first came out. Not being able to play every day and usually only at night kind of killed it for me. I always logged in to find myself dying of hunger and thirst. The new version changed that, so I'm going to check it out again.

I've been watching some let's plays on YouTube and streams on Twitch.tv to get some "intel" on where good stuff is, and a though occurred to me. This kind of game play would be awesome in a Fallout MMO. You could have towns, cities, etc. where fighting isn't allowed, where you trade and get quests, but outside those walls it would be a huge open world like DayZ with everyone for themselves. If you were out in the wasteland scavenging, questing, etc. and saw another person, you wouldn't know if they were friendly or would shoot you on sight and loot your stuff. If they were friendly, you could trade, team up, but never really know if they're going to shoot you in the back when you're not expecting it.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Dead State Kickstarter Funded
11. Re: Dead State Kickstarter Funded Jun 23, 2012, 18:52 jimnms

I went in for $15, but I may bump it up to $30 now that it's funded and seeing the push reward list. I hope they get to at least $210k, but $300k would be awesome. This game and Wasteland 2 are on my most anticipated list.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Legend of Grimrock Editor and Follow-up Plans
14. Re: Legend of Grimrock Editor and Follow-up Plans Jun 20, 2012, 15:16 jimnms

Orogogus wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 12:48:
jimnms wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 12:44:
I liked it too, and I also need to finish it. I got stuck, took a break hoping I'd come back fresh and feel like an idiot when I find out what I missed.

I like that it's a modern version of games like Eye of the Beholder, etc., but I'd like to see a blend of LoG with roguelike elements, ie. random dungeons, permadeath (optional).

That was Dungeon Hack, made with the Eye of the Beholder II engine. Permadeath would feel kind of weird with a party-based game, though.

I think it could work. Like in Dungeons of Dredmor, have it an option and remove the ability to save/load with it on. If a party member dies, it's permanent. After all party members die, it's game over, save deleted.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Dead State Interviews
3. Re: Dead State Interviews Jun 20, 2012, 12:58 jimnms

I'm in for $15 too. It looks similar to another zombie game called Project Zomboid that went the alpha fund method, before Kickstarter became popular. The DayZ mod is a lot like a first person version Project Zomboid. It seems like a lot of the elements from DayZ were taken right out of PZ, you start with nothing and scavenge for supplies and weapons. It's $7.99 on Desura, but to get the latest alpha you have to go to their forums. For a while they were putting out new builds daily, sometimes several in one day, but it's gone quiet for the past couple of months though. I hope they keep it going.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Legend of Grimrock Editor and Follow-up Plans
8. Re: Legend of Grimrock Editor and Follow-up Plans Jun 20, 2012, 12:44 jimnms

I liked it too, and I also need to finish it. I got stuck, took a break hoping I'd come back fresh and feel like an idiot when I find out what I missed.

I like that it's a modern version of games like Eye of the Beholder, etc., but I'd like to see a blend of LoG with roguelike elements, ie. random dungeons, permadeath (optional).

Steam Profile

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Civilization V: Gods & Kings
12. Re: Ships Ahoy - Civilization V: Gods & Kings Jun 20, 2012, 01:11 jimnms

Sepharo wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 20:29:
Also that's apparently on top of the 10% sale they were already doing for it.

Purchased for $22.95... It's gotta be on Steam anyway so why not save $7.04. Thanks!

edit: I have no idea how maths work.

dj LiTh wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 00:01:
Huh? What? AI's Good? Um....not in my version, all you need is 1 high level unit with buffs and thats /endgame....

Back to the thread....I picked it up, bout to fire it up now

So what's the verdict? I still have my finger on the buy button.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Civilization V: Gods & Kings
9. Re: Ships Ahoy - Civilization V: Gods & Kings Jun 19, 2012, 20:27 jimnms

If you're still undecided like me, GMG still has this for 25% off until the 22nd if you use "CIVIL-IZATI-ONGOD" code. I'm actually starting to sway toward picking it up.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
1. Flash & Firefox 13 Jun 18, 2012, 22:53 jimnms

Firefox wasn't crashing on me, but the damn FlashPlayerPlugin process kept crashing after updating.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Game Reviews
7. Re: Game Reviews Jun 18, 2012, 22:08 jimnms

I was considering pre-ordering today from GMG. Found out you can get a stackable 10% off coupon for taking a survey bringing the total down to $24.30. Although a couple of the reviewers sounded overall disappointed, they seemed to have a lot of good things to say. It's just a matter if this is worth $24.30 or not. One thing that was keeping from ordering earlier was that I only paid $11 for the base game on sale, then I picked up the expansions for another $15 when they went on sale. I was having a hard time justifying paying more for one expansion than I did for the game and all the DLC, but it took so long for them to go on sale though.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: New Internet Explorer 7 Tax Jun 15, 2012, 17:07 jimnms

Kitkoan wrote on Jun 15, 2012, 16:21:
So punish IE users who still use a perfectly good computer that's just too slow to use a more modern browser?
The "buy a newer computer or pay more" tax?

Older computers are perfectly capable of running modern browsers. My sister's old ass 1.6GHz Celeron w/ 640MB of RAM runs Firefox and IE9.

Anyone running IE 7 and lower needs to upgrade regardless if it's expensive to code websites for. MS no longer supports them, which means no security updates, which means they're systems are vulnerable.

Putting a simple notice on websites warning users that their browser is outdated and my not work on the site probably doesn't get taken serious by lazy computer users that don't keep their shit up to date, but if it's going to cost them more money I bet they'll take a few minutes to update.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Civilization V: Gods & Kings Trailer
17. Re: Civilization V: Gods & Kings Trailer Jun 14, 2012, 08:24 jimnms

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 16:18:
To compare this EXPANSION PACK with the $5-10 DLCs they've done so far is asinine. But a cheapass will still be a cheapass and refuse to pay full price, even though it's a way better value to begin with.

Plus Green Man Gaming has it for 25% off today.

Fuck, I missed another sale (not counting the global 10% off pre-order). I want this, but I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger on an expansion pack that costs more than twice as much as what I paid for the original game.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
2. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jun 10, 2012, 23:41 jimnms

I haven't been having speed problems, but I've noticed two annoying things started happening recently. When watching a YouTube video embedded on another site, if I go full screen it shows the HD icon on the status bar, but the video is certainly not playing in HD. The other is when watching videos longer than 10 minutes, it randomly stops somewhere in the middle and starts over from the beginning.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Humble Indie Bundle V Expands
10. Re: Humble Indie Bundle V Expands Jun 8, 2012, 16:10 jimnms

This is definitely one of (if not the) best bundles. Even though I already have four of the games in this bundle, three of the others were on my Steam wish list.

It's probably going to be the best selling one too. It's almost at $4 million with 6 days to go. I bet they'll add at least a couple more games before it's over too.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Skyrim Dawnguard As Soon as Next Month
25. Re: Skyrim Dawnguard As Soon as Next Month Jun 7, 2012, 12:46 jimnms

Verno wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 09:04:
I agree with you but there's a mod to fix this until Bethesda decides (No Perk prereqs) and it even has different versions that don't touch certain trees like crafting if you want a more balanced approach. There are also some perk overhaul mods but I haven't checked them out yet. About 30 minutes at the Workshop fixed up most of my problems with Skyrim last night.

I just wish Bethesda would let someone else do the combat engine. Combat always sucks in the ES games - poorly animated, little to no feedback on hits and it looks like puppets dancing around. I had to laugh when I used one of my dragon shouts on some bandit on a mountain and it literally blew him off like a cannonball into the horizon.

Yeah I found a mod that I liked that made the smithing perk tree more like the other perk trees with the first perk having 5 stages, each stage allowing you to improve weapons and armor an additional 20%, and changing the requirements of the other perks so you can take a light armor path or heavy armor path. It didn't fix the problem with light armor users having to take heavy armor perks to get the weapons, but on the mod page that was on the to do list. Unfortunately, it wouldn't fix an existing game, and the mod author seems to have abandoned it since the initial release. I haven't checked, but I'm sure there are or will be some balancing mods.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Skyrim Dawnguard As Soon as Next Month
20. Re: Skyrim Dawnguard As Soon as Next Month Jun 7, 2012, 02:22 jimnms

I need to finish my first play though. I quit after some frustration with the way the perks work and armor balance issues. I was going for a stealthy character, so I took light armor perks. I pretty much ended up not doing much stealth, I get a sneak attack in with my bow then rush in and chop heads off with my sword.

Anyway, the smithing perk tree is way out of whack, and the armor ratings need a total overhaul. If you're going for light armor like I did and want the best weapons, you have to take the heavy armor perks that you wont use just to get access to the other weapons. I had/have a nice set of glass armor with some pieces enchanted, and when I finally got smithing up to 100, I took the dragon armor perk, and rushed to my home to build a set only to realize I was a few scales short of being able to make a complete set. I had some stashed in other places, but was still short. I continued to play and when I killed another dragon and had enough, I ran back to my house to make my nice new shiny armor, only to find out it only has something like 20 points higher rating. To make things worse, I decided to look it up on the wiki to see wtf was going on, and it seems that no matter how high your armor rating is, the game has a maximum damage resistance of 80% or 85% which equals an armor rating of 760 or something, which my glass armor already exceeded. Hell with my smithing at 100 I could create an improved set of leather armor that was over the 760 rating giving me the maximum protection any armor can provide. That's seriously fucked up when leather armor provides the same protection as Daedric armor.

Being faced with having wasted a perk on dragon smithing, I was faced with a decision; either load an earlier save before I took the perk, or "cheat" and use console commands to remove the perk and give myself a perk I would have taken instead. I couldn't decide, and was a bit frustrated so I decided to play other games for a while and haven't gone back.

I'm not going to pick up any of the DLC until it's all out and goes on sale (like I did for FNV). Eventually I'll finish my game, and by then I'll start a new game with the DLC enabled.

Steam Profile

2172 Comments. 109 pages. Viewing page 33.
< Newer [ 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo