Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2232 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
11. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 17, 2012, 22:30 jimnms

Creston wrote on Sep 17, 2012, 10:36:
As for whether they did enough, who cares. It seems to be the same phone as the iPhone 4, judging by most metrics, but the apple fanboys are eating it up like it's the last drop of water in the Sahara. Apple knows full well they can just release anything and it'll sell like crazy.

If Apple sees this, they'll realize that all they have to do is package the same phone under a new name and their stupid customers will be impressed: http://videosift.com/video/Apple-iPhone-5-First-look-NOT-Stupid-People

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Game Reviews
7. Re: FTL Sep 14, 2012, 19:10 jimnms

space captain wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 18:34:
eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 16:38:
So much potential... wasted

that could be said about anything, but in this case i do agree

i would have liked to see those guys re-invest the extra moneys into legit artists/programmers/etc for a more complete package... but that would require integrity, and frankly, man - seems like nobody has got it

they probly just pocketed the extra and patted themselves on the back for being "worthy"

who knows tho... maybe there will be a constant stream of awesome and free DLC .. yes i am a dreamer

After playing for an hour, I have to agree. I wish I'd waited on this one. I don't see this game having a lasting potential as is. There is so much they could have done to expand the game. I watched several YouTube videos and reviews and it looked like fun, so I gave in and bought it this morning. It is but if you've watched some game play videos, you've seen all it has to offer.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 14, 2012, 18:15 jimnms

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 17:42:
Holy crap. Almost slept the day away!

Borderlands 2 keys recieved - preloading
Torchlight 2 preloading
Black Mesa installing.

geez.

Did you buy BL2 from GMG? I haven't gotten a key yet.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 14, 2012, 18:14 jimnms

NegaDeath wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 13:28:
FTL is now out on Steam!

I know what I'm doing on my lunch break. Dance

I broke down and bought it this morning, and played it while waiting for Black Mesa to download. If you buy it directly from the developer, you get a Steam key and a DRM free copy via. The Humble Store.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 13, 2012, 14:29 jimnms

Blues and Voodoo Extreme were the two sites I used to check every day. Then VE re-designed their page and it was taking 5-10 minutes to load, so I quit going there. I was still on dialup back then, but I think the only broadband available at the time was ISDN, and I only knew one person that had it.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > New NVIDIA Drivers
11. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Sep 13, 2012, 14:20 jimnms

Matshock wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 10:56:
I can see the DL size nearly doubled. What is so different about Windows 8 drivers?

The previous WHQL drivers were 160MB, these are 175MB. A 15MB increase is hardly doubling in size.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > FTL: Faster Than Light This Week
58. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light This Week Sep 13, 2012, 01:07 jimnms

I'll eventually pick this up. It does look like fun, but I've got so much shit to play right now. I just finished a play through of FO3 GOTY heavily moded, and I'm about to start FNV (moded) with DLC (I have yet to play the DLC since picking it up during the summer sale). I picked up a couple of games from GoG's sale the other day, and Borderlands 2 comes out next week.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Legend of Grimrock Beta Editor on Steam
13. Re: Legend of Grimrock Beta Editor on Steam Sep 12, 2012, 18:01 jimnms

Frijoles wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 12:13:
Kinda late, IMO. It would have been good to have on release, but dunno if I'd go back now. I guess if something really great came out.

WTF, it's never too late. I still play HL2 mods FFS.

PHJF wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 17:25:
Yeah but I question the ability to do anything more than what Grimrock itself did. There's only so many types of puzzles and hidden wall switches Grimrock is capable of, and the original campaign managed to cover most bases.

I bet people will be re-creating games like EOTB.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steam Beta Allows Custom Installation Locations
22. Re: Steam Beta Allows Custom Installation Locations Sep 12, 2012, 17:48 jimnms

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 13:48:
I have Steam on a dedicated 3TB drive and even though I keep all my games installed I still have plenty of space left over (my Steam folder is 1.47GB). And with Storage Spaces in Windows 8 you can create a non-redundant or redundant array consisting of several drives with minimal effort, so I've never been too concerned about such a limitation.

However, this feature should have been included from the beginning. I can imagine some people wanting to keep their most played games on a SSD which are notoriously limited in capacity (or using smaller drives if they're on a budget) and I find it bizarre that Valve took this long to implement it. It's hard to applaud Valve for such a basic feature but it's better late than never.

Your Steam folder is only 1.47GB, do you only have one game or something?

I still use my trusty method of a small partition/drive for C: that is just for Windows and system related programs and a large D: drive/partition for games and storage. I currently have a 1.5TB WD Black with 50GB partitioned as C: and the rest D:.

It's come in handy in the past when Windows nuked itself. I don't keep anything important on C: so I can format it and re-install without worry. Although it's been about 10 years since I've had to do that it probably doesn't matter anymore. There is one advantage to a small C: partition with Win7, using the system backup to create an image of the system partition. It's much faster to make an image of a 50GB partition than a 1.5TB one, even though I don't do image backups.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > First Steam Greenlight Selections
10. Re: First Steam Greenlight Selections Sep 11, 2012, 16:26 jimnms

I voted for Black Mesa, Kenshi, Project Zomboid and Towns. I've played the No More Room in Hell mod and would have voted for it, but somehow I never saw it.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Valve Profile; Big Picture UI Testing Tomorrow
10. Re: Valve Profile; Big Picture UI Testing Tomorrow Sep 9, 2012, 20:58 jimnms

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Sep 9, 2012, 18:36:
Basically this. I generally love the service experience but what they call "support" is hilariously bad. I submitted a ticket to them 6 days ago for a refund on Home because it turns out the game has a known compatibility issue with my sound card that causes it to run mute, one the author says he isn't going to fix. Not even an acknowledgement. Their site says they have "high ticket volume", which it's has for months. Same crap you get when you call a big telco's support line. When searching my e-mail for the ticket number, I found another ticket I submitted a couple years back for a problem with the Steam client itself. It literally never got a response and was automatically closed after a month. The whole "choose your job" thing sounds great except when it comes to things like customer service which is a job few would put themselves in. This isn't some tiny indie with no budget, it's bloody Valve. The support experience should equal everything else that makes them great.

I've only submitted a support ticket once, and that was to request a refund on GTA IV. The initial release was so fucked up, especially buying it from Steam. Not only did you have to run Steam, it loaded MS Live and the RockStar Social Club thing. To top it off the controls weren't customizable, which made it impossible for me to play, which wasn't Valve's fault.

I submitted a ticket requesting a refund, but then used AutoHotKey to get around the screwed up key binding and started to enjoy the game. The next day I got a reply, they had issued a refund and removed the game from my account. They have a no refund policy, so I never expected to actually get one. I then went to the store and bought the boxed version.

They did mention their no refund policy in the reply, but stated they would make an exception this one time. That's the one issue I have with Steam is the no refund policy. It was then when I decided I wouldn't buy a game on Steam unless it was heavily discounted or required Steam.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
2. Re: Saturday Metaverse Sep 8, 2012, 20:07 jimnms

an 86 year old man who accidentally sent Comcast a $6453 payment because he screwed up the placement of a decimal point for a payment of $64.53

How is it even possible they took $6453, the banks are supposed to go by the amount written out in words, not the number in the box.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Trine 2: Goblin Menace Released; On Sale
3. Re: Trine 2: Goblin Menace Released; On Sale Sep 7, 2012, 19:44 jimnms

Looks like an awesome deal for anyone that don't own any of the Trine games, $8.74 for both Trine, Trine 2 and this expansion. I can't help but feel a bit shafted paying almost as much for just the expansion pack when someone that hasn't bought any of their games gets everything for $2 more.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 7, 2012, 15:15 jimnms

Apple's going to claim they invented the idea and find some way to sue Pandora.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
8. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 7, 2012, 00:01 jimnms

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 6, 2012, 22:48:
How many of these cards from Ati do you know? Apart from the Radeon 9700 which was the 1 and ONLY card from ATI that totally pwned nvidia, for a short, a very short, while.

The Radeon 9700 and 9800 both owned anything nvidia had at the time. The next one that comes to mind is the 4700 and 4800 series cards that were not only cheaper, but faster than nvidia's closest competitors the GTX 260 270 and 280. I had a 4870, but it did not like my monitor when using DVI. I sent it back for replacement, but had the same problem. My old nvidia card worked fine with the monitor, but I did borrow a friends monitor and it worked fine. Rather than use VGA or buy a new monitor I sent it back and got a GTX 260 instead. I don't know if it was the particular brand's version of the 4870 or the 4870 reference design that didn't like my monitor, but using VGA connection I did play games and benchmark it while waiting for the GTX 260. The 260 was definitely slower and cost ~70 more, but it was either that or $200-300 for a new monitor.

Looking back at my GPU history I have just about alternated between ATI and nvidia except for my last two if I don't count the 4870 since I sent it back. All the talk about ATI drivers being crap I think is still left over from way back in the late '90's early 2000 when they were crap. I've had way more problems with nvidia drivers than I have with ATI, but the ATI CCC is crap compared to nvidia control panel (not that nvidia's CP is something to be proud of either).

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 6, 2012, 21:47 jimnms

AMD's CPU's generally used to be cheaper than Intel's, but not always at a cost of performance. There was a time that AMD chips were not only cheaper but faster. It used to swing back and forth for a while, but AMD can't seem to get the swing moving back in their favor. The same goes for ATI their GPU's. I remember at one point an AMD/ATI GPU was more than an nvidia and it was faster.

My previous system had an AMD CPU with nvidia GPU, and it was fast and stable. I still have it as a 2nd computer for my niece to play games on, and though it's over 7 years old, it still plays a lot of games maxed out or on medium to high settings. Before that system I had an Intel CPU with an ATI GPU. I've never had any stability problems from either side.

It will not be a good thing if AMD goes out of business. Intel and nvidia will not have anyone to keep them on their toes pushing things to go faster and cheaper.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Call of Juarez Tease
3. Re: Call of Juarez Tease Sep 5, 2012, 14:57 jimnms

I still need to play the 2nd CoJ. I bought it on one of those flat round things a while back for about $5, but haven't installed it yet.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steam Greenlight Adding Listing Fee
5. Re: Steam Greenlight Adding Listing Fee Sep 5, 2012, 11:53 jimnms

Hyatus wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 10:50:
Why not just use the $100 as a placeholder or security deposit?
After six months/one year/cancellation, the developer gets their money back.

In the meantime, they can use the interest in the account for their coffee fund.

This seems a little ridiculous.

Wow, seriously? I think donating the money to a charity that provides a little joy and happiness to terminally ill kids is a much better use of the money than a snack fund for Gabe. Any indie dev can easily raise $100 to get their game listed on Steam Greenlight.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > On Sale
11. Re: On Sale Sep 5, 2012, 00:39 jimnms

I've been sick the past few days and missed the Labor day sale, so I took it as a sign from the gaming gods to let this one go. Did the gods send nin and the mystical GMG code as a sign that I should get this?  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Armored Kill Launch Trailer
8. Re: Battlefield 3 Armored Kill Launch Trailer Sep 4, 2012, 23:28 jimnms

Techie714 wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 22:06:
I'm like the only guy that still likes BF3 & I'm a huge ARMA fan...lol.

I still like BF3, I just don't have time to play it as much as I'd like.

MeanJim on Steam

2232 Comments. 112 pages. Viewing page 31.
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo