Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2338 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
80. Re: Op Ed Feb 28, 2015, 10:19 jimnms

jdreyer wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 22:21:
- Animate female characters to move the way normal women, soldiers or athletes would move.

The reason most games have the same animations for women and men comes down to the cost and time it takes to create separate animations. But how exactly do women move any different to men? No two people move the same no matter what gender.

- Have female characters of various body types
- Include more female characters of color.

What about various male body types and male characters of color? Why just females? Most games that I've played recently have two body types, male and female. Once again, this is a time, cost and performance issue of having several different body models. Now that consoles aren't as antique hardware wise, these things can be possible.

- Include female enemies, but don't sexualize those enemies

Who gets to decide what is considered sexualized? Different people find different things sexual. Some guys women in uniform sexy, so should we not have female cops or soldiers as enemies in games because they can be sexualized?

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc., etc.
9. Re: etc., etc. Feb 28, 2015, 00:46 jimnms

I'd kill for these on GOG, and a NOLF3. My original NOLF disks are still on my dusty game shelf that hasn't been touched since, well, Steam, but I can't find my NOLF2 disks.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Out of the Blue
58. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2015, 18:29 jimnms

I saw the dress pic last night on another forum, and I see blue and black. Loading it up in an image editor and analyzing the colors, I can understand how some people would see gold, but can't understand how people are seeing white. The "lighter" dark areas are a dark gold, but the majority of the dark areas are actually brownish orange. There isn't a single pixel of white on the dress though.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Op Ed
34. Re: Op Ed Feb 27, 2015, 13:32 jimnms

HoSpanky wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 12:30:
Her complaint about catwoman is bullshit, does she not KNOW that the character has always BEEN heavily sexualized? Remove that from the game and EVERYONE but her would cry foul.

That reminded me of this response to the shit storm over Spiderwoman's pose on a comic book cover.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: etc. Feb 12, 2015, 16:33 jimnms

Verno wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 12:19:
The last time I watched SVU they had run out of ideas to the point where they were literally entrapping guys straight out of prison with the most fucked up plots I've seen. The writers failed so badly that the cops were often coming off worse than the deviants they were chasing.

tl;dr SVU is a really dumb show so who cares.

I never liked SVU or that other spinoff as much as the original Law & Order. I watched L&O off and on if I was bored and channel surfing (before DVR days). I started watching it regularly right before they decided to end it. I liked how it split the stories from both the cop & investigation part to the court part. SVU and that other one were all cop, no court.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > GOG.com Galaxy Stress Test Tomorrow
4. Re: GOG.com Galaxy Stress Test Tomorrow Feb 12, 2015, 01:06 jimnms

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 00:42:
Galaxy is optional, you don't need to use it at all.

Not for some multi-player games. There is a lot of fit pitching going on about some newer games requiring the Galaxy client and to be logged in to play MP. Without the Galaxy client, being logged in and connected, you can't play MP at all, not even local. This isn't looking good, but hopefully GOG will do the right thing.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: 1,700 RadioShack stores closing soon, some liquidating stock at 50% off. Feb 10, 2015, 18:27 jimnms

Pigeon wrote on Feb 10, 2015, 15:30:
You joke, but there's a good chance items will be more expensive than normal. These things get contracted out to liquidation companies that jack up the normally price items by 200%, then slap a 50% discount on it and stick up a big liquidation banner to draw the suckers in. I remember when Circuit City went out of business I was in the store a few days before they went into liquidation and they had decent prices on things, when I went in a few days later things were way more expensive. A TV went up in price by almost $2k. Thing is people were in there buying crap like no there was no tomorrow, because OMG liquidation sale, these must be the cheapest prices ever.

I remember when CompUSA went under. When the one "near" (~100 miles) me went out of business, I happened to be in the area and passed by it in the early days. I turned around to check it out. The only thing I bought was a Windows Vista Home Premium upgrade that I never opened.

A few weeks later I was in the area again. I thought they had long closed, but there was a banner up saying last day, everything 90% or more off. I went in and got some pretty good loot. I found three toner cartridges for my printer (still have two unopened), a UPS that I'm still using (replaced the battery last year though) and a cable modem that I'm still using. The toner cartridges I think were $4 each, the UPS was $20 and the cable modem was $10.

MeanJim on Steam

2. 1,700 RadioShack stores closing soon, some liquidating stock at 50% off. Feb 10, 2015, 11:45 jimnms

So basically they're reducing prices to normal retail prices?  

MeanJim on Steam

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 6, 2015, 17:54 jimnms

I still prefer to take pictures with my DSLR. I haven't "upgraded" in over 5 years or so because there hasn't been any major improvement in newer cameras. I'm sure smart phones are cutting into sales, especially of point-n-shoot types. I don't have a smart phone, but I do also have a small point-n-shoot camera I carry with me. The same thing for DSLR cameras goes for point-n-shoot cameras, nothing new has come out to make me want to buy a newer one. They're like COD or sports games, newer models are just rehashes of the same thing every year.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > American Truck Simulator Video
8. Re: American Truck Simulator Video Jan 30, 2015, 16:58 jimnms

walrus1 wrote on Jan 30, 2015, 15:03:
I can't seem to find the blog post stating this; however I remember the devs stating that initially ATS will be limited to California, Arizona and New Mexico. The release map will be as big as ETS's is now. Eventually they will add the rest of the U.S. as free and paid DLC. I think they might do Canada as well.

There was a YouTube interview with the devs, but I'm not sure where I saw it. I think it was linked from an update on the official Steam group. They said it's called American truck sim, not USA truck sim, and they do indeed want to cover other countries. They specifically mentioned, IIRC, Canada, Mexico, Brazil and Alaska (yes, I know Alaska isn't a country).

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
23. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 30, 2015, 16:42 jimnms

WaltC wrote on Jan 30, 2015, 10:24:
Industries cannot be "monopolies"...;) That's like saying "The auto-industry monopoly..." The fact that there's an entire industry to service a particular market proves there is no monopoly there.

The can when they slice up their coverage areas and agree not compete with each other. The auto-industry can't do that, but broadband providers can and do. Ford and Chevy could slice up the country into territories and agree not to compete by not selling their vehicles in each other's territory. If you lived in Ford's territory, nothing is stopping you from going outside it and buying a Chevy. If you live in Comcast territory and you're unhappy with them and want to switch, tough shit, it's Comcast or move.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
18. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 30, 2015, 09:41 jimnms

Why couldn't they bump the upload requirement? I don't understand why we have such low upload speeds. I'm currently at 20/2 (when it works). It took 8 fucking hours to upload a 1 hour video to YouTube the other day. They could have at least kept the 1/4 ratio, which would have been 25/6.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel DLC & Patch Warning
6. Re: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel DLC & Patch Warning Jan 27, 2015, 18:21 jimnms

If you haven't applied the update yet, you should still be able to run the game from its .exe. I've done this before to avoid mandatory patches with other games so I could wait for mods to be updated. If the game uses Steamworks, it will detect Steam running and still give you all the Steamworks features, overlay, etc., but bypass the forced update you get when launching from the Steam client.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
12. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jan 24, 2015, 23:25 jimnms

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 16:15:
From the whining on blues lately you'd think straight white males were the victims.

How dare anybody complain about rape/death threats, or discuss their viewpoint on a video game!?!

Are you new to the internet? Everyone gets rape/death threats when they discuss their point of view on pretty much anything.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
6. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jan 19, 2015, 05:58 jimnms

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 19, 2015, 04:33:
I don't even use that menu normally so it never occurred to me you could right click on anything there. Ps.: ever since Firefox changed GUI design I absolutely hate that menu ;p

I hated it too at first, but I grew to like it. Back when they removed the bottom status bar thing where addons used to place their icons and put the addon bar bar in its place as an option, I kept using the addon bar because I didn't like having to place giant icons on the main toolbar for every addon that needed an icon that either just displayed a status or that I occasionally needed to click on. The new menu thing acts as both a menu and addon bar, but I think it's better. I don't have to clutter up the main toolbar with addon icons that I rarely need to see or use, but instead place them in the menu where I can get to them if I need to see them or interact with them.

MeanJim on Steam

4. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jan 19, 2015, 04:20 jimnms

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 19, 2015, 03:37:
When you right click on a link it showed me "Share link" Btw, to remove that (not just that 1, but several social media right click "trap" links) I had to install extension called menu editor...

No idea what I did to get that, but I wasn't asked and yet I had this nonsense everywhere. One more such stunt and I am gonna write a hate mail to the developers.

Are you sure you don't have an addon that is putting them there? My right click menus didn't change with the update:
Right Clicking Link
Right Clicking Page

MeanJim on Steam

2. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jan 19, 2015, 03:12 jimnms

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 19, 2015, 00:44:
My first experience of FF35 was a 20 minute google search on how to remove all that social media crap from the browser. (Share links on right click, etc.) is that the direction Mozilla really wants to take this?

What kind of social media crap are you talking about? I'm not seeing it. The first new thing I noticed after the update to 35 was a new icon that looked like a paper airplane on the toolbar. I clicked it and saw some sharing shit. I right clicked it and selected remove from toolbar. That's all I did, and I don't see any sharing options when right clicking links or on pages.

FF35 already made some changes in 35 that broke some add-ons. The Enhanced Steam plugin causes the broswer to crash when viewing Steam pages. A newer version of ES was quickly put out, and while it doesn't crash as often, it still crashes randomly.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V PC Preorders
23. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Preorders Jan 17, 2015, 00:09 jimnms

NamecaF wrote on Jan 16, 2015, 23:51:
Definitely going to wait and see on this one. And even if the port is good, I wont be rewarding them with money for it. I'll torrent it. Fuck Rockstar.

I'm confused. Headscratch First we're begging R* to give us GTA V on PC, and now that they've "remastered" it for PC and "next gen" consoles, given it a first person view and other enhancements, people are now bitching and saying they're going to pirate it because it took them too long. I'm sure that will teach them to bring us games we want to our platform of choice. Fucking looser. Middlefinger

MeanJim on Steam

2. Re: 2015 will be the year of container wars Jan 15, 2015, 19:05 jimnms

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 15, 2015, 12:24:
Registration required, albeit free. Why are we linking to websites that require it now?

http://bugmenot.com/view/infoworld.com

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > PC Grand Theft Auto V Delayed to March; Specs Revealed
46. Re: PC Grand Theft Auto V Delayed to March; Specs Revealed Jan 13, 2015, 15:16 jimnms

I don't really care. I finally started playing Wasteland 2 and I think it's going to consume me for quite a while. I also wanted to build a new system by the time GTA V came out. I started planning out the new system build last month. I'm usually excited about building a new system, but for some reason I'm not really looking forward to it this time though. My current system has been flawless for the past 4 or so years. I've upgraded the video card a couple of times and added more HD space and RAM. This will give me more time to get it done.  

MeanJim on Steam

2338 Comments. 117 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo