Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2170 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
40. Re: Op Ed Jun 19, 2014, 02:11 jimnms

Feminism versus FACTS (RE Damsel in distress):
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Steam Profile
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Battlefield Hardline PC Beta Instant Access
32. Re: Battlefield Hardline PC Beta Instant Access Jun 18, 2014, 16:00 jimnms

I managed to get a Beta invite a week ago, but all I've had the time to do is get on an empty server to setup my controls and run around a bit. I was going to play over the weekend, but something came up.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > SCS Software Dev vs Valve
14. Re: SCS Software Dev vs Valve Jun 17, 2014, 01:09 jimnms

Primalchrome wrote on Jun 16, 2014, 17:24:
How, exactly, is this an abuse of power from Valve? If I tell you that your front door lock is defective and I can pick it with these three little bits of metal....does that give me the right to thwart said lock and come in to use your kitchen and restroom as I please? Or even better, tell a community of anonymous dirtbags how to do it and perhaps exploit it in even more creative ways?

That's not a very good analogy. Think of it more like an apartment building where every apartment uses the same type of lock. You discover a vulnerability in the lock that could allow someone to break into not just your apartment, but any apartment in the building. You report it to the building owner, but months go by and they don't seem to be concerned about fixing it. So you use the vulnerability to get into the manager's apartment and leave a note to try and let them know how urgent the issue is, and then get kicked out of your apartment.

All it would take is a developer to have their login compromised (it was mentioned on the linked reddit thread that developer logins were previously compromised with the heartbleed bug), and then someone insert a malicious script into an announcement.

He never told a "community of anonymous dirtbags" how to do the exploit either, he just put out an announcement for his own product that demonstrated it. Valve was told about it months ago, and they didn't bother to attempt to fix it until now.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
4. Firefox risks user backlash by adding search box to new tab page. Thanks Linux Today. Jun 15, 2014, 18:08 jimnms

As long as you can still disable this like you currently can, I don't really care. I have FF set to open a blank page on new tabs/windows.

I think they should educate users instead of making them dumber. I put Firefox on anyone's computer that they ask me to "fix" for them. I see so many people that don't bother to change the default start page and use the search box on the start page to type in the URL of pages there and press the giant SEARCH button rather than type it in the address bar. Instead of putting search boxes on the new tab and default start pages, they should put giant arrows and text pointing to the address and search boxes telling users where to type address and where to type searches.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
10. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 15, 2014, 00:41 jimnms

Creston wrote on Jun 14, 2014, 21:26:
The Half Elf wrote on Jun 14, 2014, 13:56:
They would really need to work on the vehicle controls if they wanted me to double dip on this again.

Yup. Driving is absolutely terrible in SD. It may genuinely be the worst driving experience of any of the big gta-like open world games.

Which is a shame, because the rest of the game is fantastic.

Reading these comments is pushing this game farther down my to-play-soon list. From what I remember of the video reviews of SD and the fighting aspect of it looked like QTE city. Wait for opponent to flash, press button to counter.

I keep going back to GTA because the driving is fun. I've played the story a couple of times, but I fire it up every now and then because getting into car chases and shootouts are fun by itself. It's even more fun with the realistic handling mod, and I used an editor to bump up the damage multiplier to make damage more realistic. I picked up Saints Row 3 from the THQ bundle, and the driving was pretty bad in it, but the gang fights and the rest of the game was good enough to keep me playing.

So what does SD have to offer if the driving is crap, and the fighting looked meh to me.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
4. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 14, 2014, 14:34 jimnms

Pr()ZaC wrote on Jun 14, 2014, 13:11:
The HD version of Sleeping Dogs is also listed for the preferred platform of the PC Master Race.

I think I got SD for free, or nearly so from Amazon during the Winter sales. It's on my short list of games to play next, but now I think I may bump it down to wait and see if they will offer a cheap, or better yet free, upgrade to the HD version.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jun 13, 2014, 20:18 jimnms

They should have ordered him to donate all of his spare organs to people that need them, it's only a matter of time anyway.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > GOG.com Summer Sale
5. Summer Sales Jun 13, 2014, 19:55 jimnms

GMG's summer sale is ending today, GOG's summer sale started today and Steam's starts next week. I did buy one game from GMG because I know Steam wouldn't beat that deal (75% off + additional 15% off coupon). GOG has a game on sale I want, but I'm hesitant to pick it up because I think Steam might have a better deal next week. Although, according to isthereanydeal.com, GOG currently has the lowest recorded price, not counting today's sale price. It's one of the flash sales, so I need to make up my mind quickly too. Yeah I know, first world problems.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > On Sale
1. Summer Sales Jun 13, 2014, 18:47 jimnms

I must have loaded the page before the the GMG Summer Sale was posted, so I moved my posted over there.

This comment was edited on Jun 13, 2014, 19:54.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Beta Nears
2. Re: Pillars of Eternity Beta Nears Jun 11, 2014, 21:33 jimnms

PoE's Beta is included at $110 tiers and up. Originally Divinity: Original Sin's Alpha access was going to be limited to the $135+ tiers, and they too sell early access on Steam. So what is your point?  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin Mini-Delay
22. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Mini-Delay Jun 6, 2014, 23:08 jimnms

Cutter wrote on Jun 6, 2014, 13:13:
Wish I had never given dime to Fargo and those jerks at inXile. And I'm pretty worried about the lack of progress from Project Eternity. With that last update it just seems it's hella behind schedule. And they had the gall to even ask if they should do yet more stretch goals with it. Just get it out the fucking door already.

Don't forget that Larian already had much of the game done before they went on Kickstarter. WL2 and PE started from scratch.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Sniper Elite V2 Free Today
20. Re: Sniper Elite V2 Free Today Jun 5, 2014, 01:50 jimnms

Beamer wrote on Jun 5, 2014, 00:46:
Hyatus wrote on Jun 5, 2014, 00:08:
You don't have to install it immediately. Just click the install button. It won't automatically download.

It doesn't go into your library until it's installed.

Like the previous freebie games of this sort (ArmA Cold War Assault), they don't show up in your Steam library in the client when not installed, but you still "own" them. You can go to the store's page and it still says you own it, and from there click play to re-install later. Also check your account history and you will see:
Jun 4, 2014 | Free | Purchase | Sniper Elite V2

May 15, 2014 | Free | Purchase | ARMA: Cold War Assault Free Giveaway]

*I added the "|" in place of the tabs

During ArmA: CWA's free giveaway, I clicked the install button, but I never installed. It doesn't show up in my Steam client, but I just now went to its store page and it says I own it. If I click play it begins downloading it.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Legend of Grimrock 2 in Alpha
7. Re: Legend of Grimrock 2 in Alpha Jun 3, 2014, 09:51 jimnms

Julio wrote on Jun 3, 2014, 05:12:
Looking forward to it, take my money please! Hopefully on GOG or directly available DRM free.

They sell their games from their site using the Humble widget deal, so you get a Steam key and DRM free download for Win/Lin/Mac. Hopefully they won't change this for LoG2.

Steam Profile

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. Jun 3, 2014, 00:31 jimnms

Task wrote on Jun 2, 2014, 19:58:
Well Anyways! The newest Matt Chat was pretty good, I haven't actually got around to playing Vampire Bloodlines yet.

I started to watch that this afternoon without realizing it was going to be almost an hour long. I went ahead and finished it, and now I want to play Bloodlines.

I bought it several sales ago and only started it up and played through the beginning and a little bit on the starting level. I was busy with other games at the time and figured I'd come back to it, but I never did. One thing did put me off about the game, and that's the forced 3rd person perspective for melee combat. It just feels so clumsy. Maybe there's a mod for that.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jun 2, 2014, 11:17 jimnms

What would the government get or need from them? The encryption protocols used by TruCrypt aren't secret. AES is the govt. approved protocol (by the NSA) and Twofish and Serpent are both public domain.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Homefront: The Revolution Announced
11. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Announced Jun 2, 2014, 10:38 jimnms

I got the first one for free, but I haven't played it yet. It's on my long and ever-growing to-do list.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition on GOG.com
7. Re: SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition on GOG.com May 29, 2014, 19:06 jimnms

Creston wrote on May 29, 2014, 12:29:
Hmmm... Does anyone know if that traffic mod works with the Gog version?

What traffic mod?

Steam Profile

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization May 27, 2014, 21:39 jimnms

jdreyer wrote on May 27, 2014, 13:30:
How-to- Conserve battery power on your iOS devices

Buy an Android?

Turn it off?

Steam Profile

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Watch Dogs; First Reviews
60. Re: Ships Ahoy - Watch Dogs; First Reviews May 27, 2014, 20:06 jimnms

The biggest complaint I'm seeing from "real" people is the crappy driving physics. I was worried that the driving would suck from the pre-release videos I saw. I got Saints Row 3 from the Humble Bundle, and while I mostly enjoyed it, I couldn't stand its crappy driving physics (and never ending gear shifting). I watched a few videos on YouTube and the driving does look bad, and practically no damage modeling sucks. One thing I liked doing in GTA IV was using a realistic driving mod, which tweaked the handling and performance of the cars to more closely match their real world inspirations. It also increased the damage to more realistic levels, but it was still too forgiving. I used a vehicle editor and bumped up the damage multiplier so one hard hit would fuck it up good. It made car chases much more intense.

I'm going to wait longer and see if it gets fixed, and probably $25 or less. Hell I'm thinking I may just stop buying games for a year to catch up on my backlog. I doubt they'll change the driving physics in a patch, but maybe it can be modded.

I don't know if this video is from PC or console (http://youtu.be/Oj1UVuNG_Yg) and if it's PC, what the graphics settings are, but the vehicle pop in is horrible. I thought GTA: SA's pop ins were bad.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Intro Movie
18. Re: Wasteland 2 Intro Movie May 26, 2014, 18:39 jimnms

jdreyer wrote on May 25, 2014, 21:27:
From Update 49:

"We knew we shouldn’t spend too much cash, so I got a little creative and took my camera to the Wasteland Weekend. Using that footage, stock footage and some new footage shot with actors, we got an effective opening for less than $30K. The opening cinematic explains the history of the setting and the Rangers before setting up the start of our game."

Heh, another case of monetary restriction providing impetus for creativity.
Thanks. I thought I saw it on KS, but it didn't occur to me to check the most obvious place, the previous updates. I was scouring the forums and their Tumblr pages looking for it.

Steam Profile

2170 Comments. 109 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo