Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2153 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Frozenbyte give away... Jul 18, 2012, 16:52 jimnms

SimplyMonk wrote on Jul 18, 2012, 14:43:
jimnms wrote on Jul 18, 2012, 14:31:
If it's for Trine 2 CE, I'll trade my Shadowgrounds Survivor key for it. I missed the sale on it.

You can have my coupon if you want. 75% off the Trine 2 CE

Already made the trade. I actually have Trine 2, but not the CE. I want to buy the CE upgrade, but it won't let me use it on the upgrade. Oh well.

Steam Profile
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Frozenbyte give away... Jul 18, 2012, 14:31 jimnms

nin wrote on Jul 18, 2012, 12:58:
jimnms wrote on Jul 18, 2012, 12:06:
PHJF wrote on Jul 18, 2012, 11:38:
free game my ass, i got a coupon for 75% off a game that was already 75% off during the sale.

Wait 10 minutes and play it again.

Shitty assed flash is giving the browser fits...but I'm not stopping!

It looks like they were only giving out a limited number of keys. The prize list is down to Shadowgrounds and Shadowgrounds Survivor, the rest are 75% off coupons.

PHJF what coupon did you get? If it's for Trine 2 CE, I'll trade my Shadowgrounds Survivor key for it. I missed the sale on it.

Steam Profile

9. Re: Frozenbyte give away... Jul 18, 2012, 12:06 jimnms

PHJF wrote on Jul 18, 2012, 11:38:
free game my ass, i got a coupon for 75% off a game that was already 75% off during the sale.

Wait 10 minutes and play it again.

Steam Profile

4. Frozenbyte give away... Jul 18, 2012, 11:15 jimnms

Frozenbyte is giving away Steam keys for their games by playing this little slot machine deal. I won Shadowgrounds Survivor on my 9th pull, but I already have it.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Jul 17, 2012, 23:49 jimnms

The best year in gaming history for me had nothing to do with the games that came out and more to do with my gaming experience. All of my good friends I met pre-internet era through a local BBS where we would arrange Doom 2 matches playing over direct modem connections, which led to 4 player lan parties with Doom 2 and later Duke Nukem 3D.

Enter the internet era, we all had tech jobs in town, a few of the guys started a local computer shop selling custom built systems and offering tech support. We starting having LAN parties there occasionally on weekends. At first it was small, usually 6-8 of us and, then somehow word got out around town and eventually it became a regular weekly event with 16-20 people just showing up. We would split up into teams and played Threewave CTF and other mods for Quake, then eventually moving to Quake 2 once good mods were out for it. To me that was the best year(s) in gaming history.

I don't know how long it lasted, at least a year or more before they closed the shop when a CompUSA opened up. Those are the year(s) I'll never forget.

Steam Profile

News Comments > On Sale
29. Re: On Sale Jul 17, 2012, 10:01 jimnms

Dev wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 02:40:
I'm fairly sure arma 2 is going to go on a good sale on steam before this is up, I think they are hoping to milk the 20% off as much as they can first though.
So many people breaking the "do NOT buy stuff on steam until the last day if its not a daily/flash deal" rule that arma II is still staying near the top even at just 20% off.

And worst case, if it doesn't go on sale, one can pick it up on amazon, though thats not a steam version I don't think.

With the popularity of DayZ driving up sales even before the summer sale, I don't think they're going to discount it much more if any now that their product is hot again. I'm going to predict the best discount we'll see for ArmA II will be a -33% flash sale or daily deal.

I picked it up on Amazon during their 2010 winter sale. I don't know what percent off it was or the "original" price before the discount, but it was only $12.50. I think Steam had it for the same price the following summer or winter.

I like Amazon downloads. You download the contents of the game disks, install it and play, no DRM (at least for this title). No activation required, and it doesn't phone home when you run it.

Right now Amazon lists it as unavailable. Did they have a sale and sell all of their available keys?

Steam Profile

News Comments > etc.
12. Re: etc. Jul 16, 2012, 00:51 jimnms

When I'm really into a game, I just forget to eat. Even when my stomach starts to growl, I'm like ok, let me finish this level, map, round, etc. and I'll go get something. Even then I keep putting it off because shit keeps happening to keep me from leaving, like if it's a MP game, the server switches to my favorite map or something. Eventually I begin to wonder why the game switched to B&W mode, and then I finally realize I'd better stop and go eat.  

Steam Profile

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 15, 2012, 01:15 jimnms

DG wrote on Jul 14, 2012, 17:21:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jul 14, 2012, 15:35:

Considering how cheap a good laser printer will cost these days, you might want to consider grabbing one of those the next time you need a replacement. Especially with the cost of toner cartridges. I picked up a Samsung CLP-320 for $120 last year and I'm still on the starter toner kit, and I've already printed double what the starter kit listed for the number of pages would print. They listed 2000 b/w and 400-500 colour. I've gotten ~4800b/w and around 650 colour so far.

And considering the toner cartridge is around the same price each for a single colour pack these days, I still end up coming ahead when I did the math.
+1

Picked up a super-cheap Samsung ML-2010 maybe 5 years ago and never looked back. I'm still using the toner that came with it, it's much faster, print quality much higher and more reliable. Can be slightly fussy with paper though.
+2

Inkjet ink is a scam. If don't use your printer for a couple of months, the ink dries out anyway. I rarely ever print anything, but with ink cartridges drying out after about 3 months, whether I used them or not, I was spending over $1 a page in ink. I bought a Samsung printer-scanner-copier for < $100 a few years ago. The starter toner didn't last long, but the replacement cartridges are only about $20 more than an ink cartridge and are good for 5000 pages. Luckily I managed to find three cartridges at CompUSA on their last day open and bought them for 90% off. I think I'm set for life with toner.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 13, 2012, 14:52 jimnms

Apparently they didn't, I'm still getting errors.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Begins
119. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 12, 2012, 23:38 jimnms

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 21:12:
Anyone know if you can UNLINK for FB account? I don't have one, so I would link a friends then take it off. heheheh
Yes. I have a FB account, but I never put anything on it and don't use it. I linked it last time it was used for an achievement or something, then immediately unlinked it. Steam still thinks it's linked because I have that achievement.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Brick-Force Launches
4. Re: Brick-Force Launches Jul 12, 2012, 23:26 jimnms

I got in on the beta, it was quite fun... for a while. The level design part is kind of neat, but there really isn't anything special about the game play that sets it apart from other F2P FPS.  

Steam Profile

75. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 12, 2012, 18:10 jimnms

Tumbler wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 16:18:
I hope they're going to sell Blackshark 2 and the p51 thing from DCS on steam. Seems like they're way behind getting that stuff up and just selling everything directly from their website.

DCS Blackshark is $5 btw, anyone who's wanted that will probably like that price. A-10 is on sale as well, $16.

I really wish they'd get the BS 2 on Steam, especially if it doesn't have the shitty activation system. I didn't buy it from them due to the limited activation crap, but a friend bought it for me because he wanted to play coop. I installed it and played a bit of training, then built a new gaming system. I had trouble recovering the activation when I uninstalled it from the old system and had to contact them to have it manually deactivated.

I might pick up the DCS A-10, but I'm going to wait and see if it goes on a daily sale for a bit less first.

What is strange is on the DCS website it costs $40 to buy BS 2.0, but you can buy the original BS for $10 and the BS 2.0 upgrade for $20.

Steam Profile

45. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 12, 2012, 15:27 jimnms

Has Steam ever offered more than 75% off a game during a sale? There are several games in my wish list that aren't daily deals that are already at 75% off.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > etc., etc.
13. Re: Valve Counters EA Jul 12, 2012, 13:17 jimnms

Bhruic wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 10:26:
That's fine if you assume you are the only one they care about. But the problem with that scenario is that once you start offering the game for $10, people are going to wait to buy it at the price - and not just the people who wouldn't buy it at $50. There are plenty of games that I might have bought previous at full price that I now wait for a Steam sale for - knowing that one is almost always right around the corner.

How many people do you have to get used to the idea that the price of a game will very quickly drop into the $10 range before you aren't selling very many copies at full price? Or, to put it into your example, EA would rather have $0 of your dollars and $50 of the next guy's rather than $10 from both of you.

Would you rather sell 100,000 games for $50 each or 1,000,000 games for $10 each?

Steam Profile

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 12, 2012, 12:56 jimnms

I hope they finally fixed all of the bullshit error message popups they introduced in the last "update."  

Steam Profile

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2012, 16:58 jimnms

nin wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 13:58:
I did. My fear is I don't know if I'd like it, or how long I'd play it, so I'd hate to have you think you wasted a code on me.

I guess I'd rather waste my own money than someone elses, and I figure it's going to wind up dirt cheap in the upcoming sale.

But I do appreciate it!

It's a code from an indie bundle. Since I already had the game before buying the bundle, it's not like I wasted money on it. If you want it, I'll be on Steam, if not I'll put it up on a private or group giveaway on Steam Gifts so it goes to someone here at Blues.

Steam Profile

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2012, 13:53 jimnms

nin, have you seen my reply to you on this post?  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Wasteland 2 to Include Original
17. Re: Wasteland 2 to Include Original Jul 10, 2012, 13:49 jimnms

wonkawonka wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 12:07:
The thing is that Wasteland didn't age very well.
The problem isn't the graphics of course, but some of the game mechanics. Like getting stuck in a dungeon with absolutely no chance of getting out because some random pack of monsters 10 times more powerful than you spawned between your location and the exit all 87 times you tried doing it.

The game can get extremely frustrating. I was trying to get out of a cave with my team low on health. I can't get out because of stupid rats. None of them could hit the damn things, and the rats couldn't do enough damage to kill my team either. The rats would do enough damage to knock my team unconscious. They'd wake up get hit and go unconscious again. Every now and then a rat would miss and I'd get a chance to attack or evade. If I did manage to evade, I couldn't leave because the rats were in the way. I couldn't rest and heal without being attacked by the rats.

At first I didn't want to waste ammo on little rats, but since they couldn't hit them with melee weapons I finally had them equip their pistols, but they expended all of their ammo unable to hit shit. I finally just deleted that save and started over.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Killing Floor Summer Sideshow
9. Re: Killing Floor Summer Sideshow Jul 9, 2012, 14:46 jimnms

nin wrote on Jul 9, 2012, 08:23:
Hmmm...maybe I'll finally pick this up...(at the summer sale! )

Contact me on Steam, I've got an extra key for it.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Killing Floor Summer Sideshow
7. Re: Killing Floor Summer Sideshow Jul 8, 2012, 22:06 jimnms

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 8, 2012, 14:39:
Reinstalled to try it out again. With friends this game is fun.

Fuck, why haven't I been playing this? Someone gifted it to me during the xmas sale. I played it for about 3 hours, but for some reason I haven't played since then. I decided fire it up again, and holy fuck I can't stop playing it. I've put 8 hours in it this weekend, and I'll probably play some more tonight. The weapons are the best, most realistic AND fun I've ever seen in any game.

Steam Profile

2153 Comments. 108 pages. Viewing page 30.
< Newer [ 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo