Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2176 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

News Comments > Call of Juarez Tease
3. Re: Call of Juarez Tease Sep 5, 2012, 14:57 jimnms

I still need to play the 2nd CoJ. I bought it on one of those flat round things a while back for about $5, but haven't installed it yet.  

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Greenlight Adding Listing Fee
5. Re: Steam Greenlight Adding Listing Fee Sep 5, 2012, 11:53 jimnms

Hyatus wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 10:50:
Why not just use the $100 as a placeholder or security deposit?
After six months/one year/cancellation, the developer gets their money back.

In the meantime, they can use the interest in the account for their coffee fund.

This seems a little ridiculous.

Wow, seriously? I think donating the money to a charity that provides a little joy and happiness to terminally ill kids is a much better use of the money than a snack fund for Gabe. Any indie dev can easily raise $100 to get their game listed on Steam Greenlight.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > On Sale
11. Re: On Sale Sep 5, 2012, 00:39 jimnms

I've been sick the past few days and missed the Labor day sale, so I took it as a sign from the gaming gods to let this one go. Did the gods send nin and the mystical GMG code as a sign that I should get this?  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Armored Kill Launch Trailer
8. Re: Battlefield 3 Armored Kill Launch Trailer Sep 4, 2012, 23:28 jimnms

Techie714 wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 22:06:
I'm like the only guy that still likes BF3 & I'm a huge ARMA fan...lol.

I still like BF3, I just don't have time to play it as much as I'd like.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Black Mesa Source This Month
25. Re: Black Mesa Source This Month Sep 2, 2012, 14:43 jimnms

How are they going to distribute this? Some source mods you can download directly from Steam where others have to be downloaded and installed to the sourcemods dir. I hope Valve lets them put this up on Steam, otherwise the download speeds for the first several days will suck.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Footage
26. Re: Borderlands 2 Footage Sep 2, 2012, 14:29 jimnms

descender wrote on Sep 2, 2012, 14:22:
So what did they add to create an actual Co-op situation, instead of 4 people separately running around playing a SP game?

There was no need to work together in the original, at all. No skills between classes that worked well together. Everyone just run around and press your one button!

Unless there is a fundamental change in the gameplay in 2, this will be insanely-boring, just like the first one.

Did you even watch the video or play the first game? In the first game, and in BL2, there are skill and class upgrades that are useless unless playing coop.

MeanJim on Steam

16. Re: Borderlands 2 Footage Sep 1, 2012, 22:23 jimnms

DangerDog wrote on Sep 1, 2012, 18:51:
there's a 25% off code that activates tomorrow on green man gaming, click the "blog" link on their site for the code.

Awesome, I'm tempted to get it. I was thinking of waiting since I have too much shit to play, and I my two friends that I used to play coop with are no longer able to play. I picked up Borderlands GOTY for $7.50 on a Steam sale about a year after release. I bought it for me and the two friends that I played coop with. They thought it looked like crap and didn't want to get it when it was new, then it turned out to be some fun shit. We played it every night for about a month.

Edit: Ok, I just finished the video, and all the talk about DLC at the end is kind of putting me off. I think I'd rather wait and get the complete game and play it then rather than a piece at a time.

This comment was edited on Sep 1, 2012, 22:42.

MeanJim on Steam

7. Re: Borderlands 2 Footage Sep 1, 2012, 18:48 jimnms

Fion wrote on Sep 1, 2012, 14:54:
On a good note, I do like the weapons. They seem even more diverse and interesting than BL1. I've already got this sucker pre-purchased, $33 from greenman gaming (steam unlock). Looking forward to it.

How did you get it for $33? Best I've seen it there is $40.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
5. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 31, 2012, 22:37 jimnms

necrosis wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 21:04:
I really have no idea how anyone can say Samsung did not copy the iPhone.

The old Steve Jobs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW0DUg63lqU

More edutainment:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1s_PybOuY0&t=4m45s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFeC25BM9E0

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Trailer
5. Re: Borderlands 2 Trailer Aug 31, 2012, 16:10 jimnms

FUUUUUUUUCK I want this, but I think most of the enjoyment I got out of the first one was playing with two of my friends. Both have since moved to areas with shitty internet service, and the thought of playing this solo makes me sad. Sad  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Out of the Blue
23. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 30, 2012, 23:39 jimnms

PHJF wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 18:01:
THE DIFFERENCE IS YOUNG PEOPLE HAVE LIVES TO LIVE AND IMPORTANT THINGS TO DO.

Like play video games.

You're forgetting that young people also think they're invincible.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Aug 30, 2012, 20:26 jimnms

Is it any good? I haven't read reviews, but it looks kind of interesting.  

MeanJim on Steam

35. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 29, 2012, 12:16 jimnms

robdot wrote on Aug 28, 2012, 14:35:
it is completely impossible for any car made, for the engine to overpower the brakes. this has been proven over and over. it cant be done. its always operator error.
second. the sirens on firetrucks are on the floor. they often get stepped on by accident. an error he probably instantly regretted as the citizens(you) are his employer.

What orifice did you pull that out of? It certainly is possible for an engine to be able to overpower the brakes. Kia most likely doesn't make one, but there are cars and trucks with engines that will overpower the brakes.

A place I worked during summer in college I drove so many different vehicles, one time I forgot I was in a diesel truck with a manual. I had just driven a pickup with an auto trans then switched to the big diesel truck with a manual. I was backing out when my brain farted and was still in auto trans mode. I stepped on the brakes and it didn't slow down. I stood on the brake pedal with both feet and the truck kept going. Then the brain fart cleared and I remembered to press the clutch.

MeanJim on Steam

9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2012, 11:56 jimnms

nin wrote on Aug 28, 2012, 10:58:
stuck accelerator

But her Sorrento features a push button start, and she said there was no key off option.

So, how does she turn it off normally????? I saw a similar video yesterday and the comment was she couldn't shift to neutral, either. I find that neither of those options being available more than a little hard to believe...

I said the same thing when there were reports of Toyota Priuses having runaway accelerator issues, but once I saw a Prius first hand, I now see how. The Prius has no physical link to the accelerator, brake or transmission. They're just connected to sensors that tell the computer what you want it to do. I've never seen a Sorrento, but it's possible that it's all electronic too.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: etc., etc. Aug 24, 2012, 22:38 jimnms

You ran out of KY?  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
46. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 23, 2012, 17:51 jimnms

Ratty wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 12:05:
The one annoyance I still have is when I highlight a filename by single clicking twice in Explorer Windows 7 never includes the extension anymore so I have to go through the extra hassle of selecting the entire filename.

Are you serious? That was probably the biggest improvement made in the Win7 explorer. That feature alone has probably saved a lot of time because I need to rename just the file name more than file and/or extension. In WinXP there was a lot of extra typing when renaming files when I didn't need to change the extension.

If you need to rename a file and the extension in Win7, just hit SHIFT+END or CTRL+A to select the whole file name. Also it's faster to hit F2 to rename a file than single clicking twice, and this prevents it from registering as a double click and opening the file if you click too fast by accident. You're going to be using the keyboard to type the file name anyway, so it's a lot faster to F2, CTRL-A and type than to click... click, select and drag file name with the mouse, then move hands to keyboard and type.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
12. Re: Sunday Consolidation Aug 20, 2012, 12:05 jimnms

Hopefully they aren't going to use the ArmA2 engine for the retail DayZ game, or at least heavily modify it or use the ArmA3 engine. This game needs more buildings with interiors. The largest cities in ArmA2 have very few building that you can enter, and the movement in ArmA2 works ok for combat in open spaces, it gets really clunky when you get in any of the few buildings with interiors. You really should be able to go inside a house or something and barricade the doors and windows to protect yourself from zombies and other players.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > On Cut New Vegas Content
17. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 20, 2012, 10:05 jimnms

Rigs wrote on Aug 19, 2012, 23:23:
Well, in another post that questions my status as a lifetime carrier of the 'Hardcore Gaming Club' card, I have to ask, what made New Vegas better than the original Fallout3? Personally, I found the original to be...err, a little boring. At least in the beginning. And the fact that everything is a greenish gray/brown...*shudder*...what does NV bring to the table?

=-Rigs-=

I liked both, but NV is better because of what was "under the hood." I loved the DC wasteland setting of FO3 better, and IMO the beginning (not the vault part) was the best part when you're fresh out of the vault with just a pea shooter and the clothes on your back (I took the stealthy route to escape the vault).

What a lot of hardcore Fallout fans didn't like about it (and I agree somewhat, but still consider it a good Fallout game) was that you played a character with a complete life back story. The previous FO games by design were very vague about your past, letting you fill in the details (age, back story, etc.) yourself and roll play how you want. In FO3, you know how old you are, you know your mother died giving birth to you, and during the intro (vault part) you have the little mini quests to setup your character's traits, perks and even karma before the main game begins. SPOILER ALERT: But during the course of the main quest you find out (SST) that a lot of what you thought you knew about your past wasn't true.

What I didn't like about FO3 was that even with the base game (no DLC or mods) it was way too easy to max most or all of your character's skills out, and getting a perk every level you quickly become OP. After you level up to around 4 or so, the dangerous feeling of the wasteland is gone. With the exception of a couple of places, the game scaled the random wasteland creatures to you, so you never run into anything you can't handle.

My first play through of FO3 I tried to put myself in the shoes of the character. What would I do in that situation if I my friend wakes me up and tells me my father left the vault, the guards killed my friend and are coming for me. I'd get the hell out of there and try to find him as fast as I could.

I pretty much stuck to the main quest. I did side quests only if they were on or near the path to main quest objectives, but I did get sidetracked a few times. Early in the game though, you just aren't equipped to run straight into the downtown DC wasteland looking for "dad," so I did stick around Megaton doing a few quests until I had better equipment before moving on.

I remember in my first game when I first came out of the vault it was night. I didn't know what was out there and I didn't know the scale of the map (in FO and FO2 the distances between places on the world map were very far), so I didn't know how far Megaton was from the vault. I made my way down the road to the street with the ruined buildings. I saw the floating eye bot and didn't know if it was hostile, so I crept up on it until I realized it was neutral. I went inside one of the buildings and waited until day. When day came, I saw some people coming, didn't know if they were friendly or bandits, so I stayed hidden in the building. It turned out to be a caravan coming from Megaton. Even though I took the stealthy route out of the vault, I also took everything that wasn't nailed down, so I sold all of my pencils, clipboards and other junk to get a few caps.

Another minor complaint I had about FO3 is that primarily sticking to the main quest leaves a LOT of the wasteland unexplored. I didn't even find dogmeat on my first play through.

I later got the GOTY edition and played through it using some mods that added primary needs (eat, sleep, drink) and make it an overall tougher experience.

FNV is more true to the original Fallout games where there is little back story (you're just a courier from California). The game was better balanced so you couldn't become a master of all skills (at least until the DLC came out raising the level cap) and you only got perks every other level. And hardcore mode! I also like that the bad things in the wasteland didn't scale to you. If you didn't stick to the established paths, especially early on you got killed quick. On my way from Primm to the Mojave Outpost, I saw something up in the hills and decided to check it out. I was greeted by several giant rad scorpions that my weapons wouldn't scratch. I had a few mines on me so I ran dropping mines. They managed to cripple their legs and I got away, just barely. The danger of the wasteland still remained, even at level 25-30. There were still places that were a challenge at higher levels, and if you weren't on good terms with the legion, the assassin squads they sent after you were deadly.

I bought all of the FNV DLC on sale, but I haven't played it with them on yet, so I don't know how much the higher level cap and extra perks effect that though.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Game Reviews
12. Re: Game Reviews Aug 19, 2012, 11:37 jimnms

You could put up a review page with a note that the review is pending due to the game being buggy and unplayable at the moment.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > OnLive Layoffs Follow-up
27. Re: OnLive Layoffs Follow-up Aug 18, 2012, 22:22 jimnms

Prez wrote on Aug 18, 2012, 14:27:
OnLive's failure is not a surprise (it's a product without any market whatsoever); however I am interested to know if it even worked reasonably well? I could never be bothered to try it, being a product I have zero I interest in or use for, but I do find the technology ( low latency realtime streaming) pretty interesting. I've heard conflicting reports.

They had a promotion a while back where your first game was free when you signed up. I did that and got Homefront because I was only interested in the single player part. The latency wasn't too bad, but it was enough that I never finished the game. I did like that you could play any game free for an hour and watch others play. I used that to try some games out or watch other people play to see if it was worth buying, but I wouldn't buy a game on their service.

MeanJim on Steam

2176 Comments. 109 pages. Viewing page 29.
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo