Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2246 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
6. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 12, 2012, 08:54 jimnms

Verno wrote on Dec 11, 2012, 10:51:
The Age of Decadence looks pretty cool, don't know how I missed that one.

Never heard of it either, and it's being developed by the same people doing Dead State.

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Chivalry: Medieval Warfare Dec 10, 2012, 12:22 jimnms

GMG has Chivalry: Medieval Warfare 50% off, use the 25% code GMG25-CZPYL-D5MQ6 to get it for $9.38, or take a survey to get a single use 35% off coupon and get it for $8.12.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Dec 7, 2012, 23:09 jimnms

You can get Hotline Miami from Amazon for $4.99 and get a $5 credit toward the "Editor's Choice" game downloads in January.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Intel "Committed" to Socketed CPUs for "The Foreseeable Future"
26. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 6, 2012, 23:46 jimnms

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 19:25:
jimnms wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 14:56:
the last time I upgraded the CPU without replacing the MB was when I went from a Pentium II 233MHz to a P3 450MHz

Wasn't the P3 300 mhz celeron, the chipset that really kicked off overcloking? That is where you could buy it for like $300 and overclock it to run like a $1000 chip. Back when 3dfx and 3d kicked off? To me that was when overclocking really paid off, $ wise and performance, you needed every little bit.

Yeah, that was the Celeron 300A which could easily be overclocked to 450MHz with stock cooling. A friend and I both built our systems at the same time with pretty much the same specs, both originally were P2 233's. I later got a "free" upgrade to the P3 450 when the place I worked finally approved a new computer for a server. It was a P3 450, and since I was in charge of setting up the server, I swapped my P2 266 into and took home the P3 450 (it didn't need that much power for what it did). My friend bought the Celeron 300A and overclocked it. The P3 450 was slightly faster, but for the money you couldn't beat the Celeron.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Dec 6, 2012, 20:50 jimnms

I still have my original Duke3D CD which included Duke Nukem 1 & 2 on it.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Intel "Committed" to Socketed CPUs for "The Foreseeable Future"
13. Re: Intel Dec 6, 2012, 14:56 jimnms

When I first read about this the other day I was at first worried about the future of the do-it-yourself builders like myself. Then I reflected on my past builds and realized the last time I upgraded the CPU without replacing the MB was when I went from a Pentium II 233MHz to a P3 450MHz (remember those slotted CPU's?). I still build systems with room to upgrade, but by the time an upgrade is needed a new socket is out and you can't find CPU's for the older socket anymore.

I still don't like the idea of soldered CPU's though. Unless Intel is going to stop making chips for OEMs, I don't see how it would be cheaper for Intel to produce them that way. Even if they do move to soldered CPU's I doubt it will kill off the enthusiast builder, but it will make building harder. For example:

When I start planning a new build, I first pick out the CPU, then the MB. If CPU's are soldered to the MB, this will make building harder because now I have to find the specific MB/CPU combo I want. What if I'm building a new system and I decide I like the Intel Core i12 6Ghz because the i11 is but not much cheaper for its slower performance and the i13 is only slightly faster but costs a lot more. Next I start looking at MB's and see that ASUS has a board that has everything I want. Now I go shopping and find that specific CPU/MB combo is popular and sold out in that specific combination everywhere. Now I either have to go with another MB that may not have all of the features I want just to get the CPU I want, or if I really like that ASUS board I will have to get it with a different CPU or wait for until they make more and hope to grab one before it sells out again.

I could also see how MB manufacturers could take advantage of this and run up costs by only produce limited quantities of boards with the low and medium CPU offerings and lots with high end expensive CPU's. The low and medium board which offer the best performance for the money will sell out quickly forcing people who really want to build their own system to fork out more money.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steam Big Picture Mode Launches
29. Re: Steam Big Picture Mode Launches Dec 4, 2012, 02:21 jimnms

^Drag0n^ wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 21:22:
DDI wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 21:00:
How do I turn off the ugly as fuck giant button on my Steam UI

press the [X] button in the upper right corner.

That doesn't get rid of the button.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Return to Return to Infinite Space
3. Re: Return to Return to Infinite Space Dec 3, 2012, 20:23 jimnms

Flatline wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 14:33:
Basically, it's going to play like a faster version of FTL, with a slightly more tactical combat screen and less crew/system management.

So you're basically saying it's nothing like FTL. From the video it looks like a mix of SPAZ and GSB.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Game Reviews
13. Re: The Walking Dead Nov 30, 2012, 02:00 jimnms

Ok, I'm a little disappointed in this last episode. Each of the previous episodes were right at 3 hours, but this one was only 1.5 hours. I have a feeling that most of the choices you make during this episode won't make any difference. I guess since it was so short, I'll replay this episode and see before starting over.  

MeanJim on Steam

9. The Walking Dead Nov 29, 2012, 15:38 jimnms

I haven't read the review in case it contains spoilers, and I don't really need to since I already have the game. I just finished episode 4 last night, and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. It doesn't have as much point and click type puzzle solving as I thought it would, instead it's pretty much an interactive story where the choices you make effect the game. It's a damn good story so far, and I definitely will make another play to see how it changes things had I made different choices.

I like that you're only given a few seconds to make important decisions. Some times you are barely given enough time to read all of the choices and pick one, and it doesn't help that the text fades out as time is running out making it even harder to read. Twice I've blown a dialog when I couldn't read the options and make my choice in time. Last night it happened again, but I had picked one and my mouse wheel derped out and wouldn't scroll. I did quit and restart from the last checkpoint since it was my mouse's fault, but in the other two instances I forced myself to continue and accept my indecision.

I like how it gives you stats at the end of each chapter showing what percentage of other players made the same or different decisions. I do wonder though how it counts people re-playing and choosing other options.

MeanJim on Steam

7. Re: Game Reviews Nov 29, 2012, 14:49 jimnms

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 14:09:
Verno wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 12:24:
The Half Elf wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 12:15:
I'm sorry I wasted money on Chivalry. While I enjoyed some of the first Warband game I thought this would be at least as decent, but couldn't even get through the tutorials before i turned it off.

Hmm I was thinking about picking it up, what were the main turn offs if you don't mind me asking?

I was also considering this one, as I really do enjoy good melee combat games like PVK2 =).. whats the deal with this one that makes it not-even-finish-the-tutorial worthy?

I'd like to know this as well. I didn't pick it up during the sale because I haven't played any MP games in a while, and with the Steam winter sale coming in a few weeks I decided to hold off. Then the day after the sale I found myself watching some gameplay videos of it and kicking myself for not getting it.

MeanJim on Steam

6. Re: Game Reviews Nov 29, 2012, 14:46 jimnms

MajorD wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 11:45:
Ironically, I just finished Legend of Grimrock last night; what a great game. I purchased this game within a week of its release, and was diligently playing it, and then at some point I went onto other things w/o finishing it. I picked it back up over this last weekend, and was hooked again; I don't know why I stopped playing it in the first place. Regardless, it is a game you can pick back-up and play at anytime.

This was a game completely outside of the type of games I typically play, and I donít know what inspired me to purchase it and play it, but Iím glad I did. Some of the puzzles were Ďveryí challenging, which I really like(d), and I can honestly say that I didnít go online and cheat; I figured them out on my own.

I pre-ordered it and played the crap out of it for the first few days. Then I would get to a place with a challenging puzzle and take a break, then come back and with a clear mind and get through it. Then I would get to another place that stumped me, take another break. I haven't finished it and it's been a while since I stopped. I need to go back and finish it.

I'm kind of OCD and hate moving on until I've found everything. I know there was an iron door or two that I couldn't figure out, and after running around for hours I finally made myself move on. I believe one of the solutions to one of the doors was down a level or two and I had to go back up after finding it.

Holy crap, I just looked at Steam and it says I last played it in April. That has to be a mistake, I could have sworn I played it just a few months ago.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
24. Re: Fast-food Logos Imprinted on Children's Brains Nov 29, 2012, 14:30 jimnms

I downloaded and tried out the developer preview of Win8. There are a lot of improvements that I do like, but when stacked against the things I don't like, it doesn't warrant an upgrade. I could get used to the Metro start screen if I had to, but if MS were smart and made it optional and kept the start menu, I would have upgraded all of my machines.

Atomic wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 13:43:
I'm still on Vista, and want (need) to upgrade. I understand that Windows 8 is not incrementally much of a better upgrade than Windows 7, but considering I can get Windows 8 for $40, should I just make the leap, or pay more for Windows 7?

I could have sworn there was a story posted here about MS allowing Win8 licenses to be "downgraded" to Win7. If that is true, you could grab the cheaper Win8 upgrade, then download the Win7 ISO (they're available directly from MS) and install it instead.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Deus Ex Texture Mod
9. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2012, 14:14 jimnms

killer_roach wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 14:01:
Rigs wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 13:18:
I never understood how some of you guys can lose track of your games?! Mine are alphabetized in a nice and neat double row down 5 shelves of a white bookcase and I know where the game cd/dvd's, the manuals and even the boxes are at any one time. I thought that was true for almost all gamers...I see I was incorrect... %)

Some of us move. Unless you're OCD beyond belief, a move tends to throw typical organizational skills out the window. Several moves in that span of time... something's almost guaranteed to be lost in the shuffle somewhere.

When I moved, I packed all of my game boxes in one box, and they're still in that box. I know where they are, but I don't see the need to get them out and put them on a shelf. Some of my newer games I do have on a shelf.

I also have the original Deus Ex on disk, but bought it on Steam for a couple of bucks during a sale so I could save wear and tear on the original disk when I inevitably play it again (which might be pretty soon thanks to this mod).

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition
4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Nov 28, 2012, 22:49 jimnms

Shok wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 20:38:
Please note that due to extreme server load it may take some time to get your game, but we are working around the clock to alleviate the situation.

Pro-tip: Use Steam next time.

Or better yet, use GoG.

MeanJim on Steam

6. Re: Game Reviews Nov 28, 2012, 17:32 jimnms

I almost grabbed it during the sale, but let it go. It looks like a lot of fun from videos I've seen of it, but I wish there were a demo. I figured that it would be discounted again during the winter sale and I would have more time to read reviews and such. One concern is how rebindable are the keys and mouse. I don't use WASD, I have a particular setup of movement keys I use for all games. It goes way back to the default keys of Doom and Quake where the right mouse defaulted to forward. There have been quite a few games come out recently that let you rebind keys but not the mouse, so I'm hesitant to pick up games until I know I can use my setup. Can someone that has Chivalry check and tell me if you can rebind mouse buttons?  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Nov 26, 2012, 21:12 jimnms

I'm surprised someone didn't start swinging their bag and beat the girl down.  

MeanJim on Steam

15. Re: Borderlands 2 Nov 26, 2012, 20:59 jimnms

Here's another one: W35TT-XTTWK-KXTBT-BJBJJ-9FKCW  

MeanJim on Steam

4. Borderlands 2 Nov 26, 2012, 13:15 jimnms

Here's another Shift code for a golden key: KJ5BJ-KTB5W-WXBJT-33JTJ-5Z9JX

It doesn't expire, but it has limited uses.

MeanJim on Steam

17. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 25, 2012, 22:34 jimnms

Sepharo wrote on Nov 24, 2012, 17:38:
Anyone here use Google Docs(Drive) exclusively?

My parents need a new device for occasional word processing and spreadsheets and they also want something near the couch for casual internet browsing and Facebook. My mom has been considering the Surface but the price for what you get... I've told her to hold off. She probably expects me to get her a tablet for Christmas, I'm thinking either Nexus 7 or 10.

So Nexus 7 or 10 for the couch and trips.
And either a new laptop or hand-me-down desktop from me for the desk.

Uh, rambling aside, and back to my original question... Do you guys think Google Docs is a sufficient replacement for very occasional home office needs for someone who's only previously used Office?

Have you considered LibreOffice? I don't need to use a word processor that often, but I do use spreadsheets for a few things. I use LibreOffice, and only install the word processor and spreadsheet components. It has no problem opening MS Word docs, but I have had it mangle older MS Excel spreadsheets.

I also use Google Docs, but mainly to backup stuff. It's nice because it supports the open document format and converts it right to a Google doc so it can be edited in Google Docs and exported back to an open document for the rare occasion I need to edit something when I'm not using my desktop. I could probably just use Google Docs exclusively, but I still like to have stuff physically on my system.

One advantage I can see to using Google Docs is it removes the need to download and install updates. Depending on their experience with computers, a potential down side to it is that they'll need to get used to using it in a browser and realize that it's not a program they launch from a shortcut on the desktop or start menu.

Also Google Docs never seems to remember me. I can log in to Google Docs, but after I close the browser, it forgets me the next time I open the browser again. Even though every Google site and YouTube has me logged in, when I got to Google Docs I have to log in every time. Storing their username and password in the browser would fix that though.

MeanJim on Steam

2246 Comments. 113 pages. Viewing page 27.
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo