Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2247 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 27, 2012, 13:36 jimnms

I'll have to wait a couple of years to pick my 2012 game of the year since I'm still playing games I bought in 2010.  

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Top 10
5. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 23, 2012, 13:00 jimnms

nin wrote on Dec 23, 2012, 12:55:
I would have grabbed scribblenauts, but not for $20. Maybe $10, at most.

Amazon is supposed to have it on sale for 75% off on the 24th-26th.

MeanJim on Steam

42. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2012, 02:11 jimnms

Creston wrote on Dec 22, 2012, 03:06:
jimnms wrote on Dec 21, 2012, 19:20:
I drove to a McDonald's and sat in the parking lot using their free wifi to check Steam.

You're aware that said wifi connection is unsecured, and thus if there's a single guy sniffing that traffic, he is likely to get your steam login information, right?

Don't EVER log in to anything over an unsecured wifi connection. Most of the stuff you log in to over the net is actually unsecured, so anyone sniffing your traffic can you grab your password at will.

The hackers' conference always has a free wifi up for people, and then they post the usernames and passwords of anyone who uses it on a huge screen for all to see. Not to be dicks, but as a warning that using unsecured wifi is a Grade A, 100% security risk.

Didn't mean for this to sound quite like such a lecture, but be very very careful about using free wifi...

Creston

I didn't log in to Steam, I checked the store page in a browser. Even though it's un-secured wifi, Steam uses SSL to log in and for purchases.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steam Holiday Sale
146. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 21, 2012, 20:17 jimnms

Creston wrote on Dec 21, 2012, 16:38:
Btw, snuggle truck is pretty fun. Pure luck to finish something, but it's like a cute version of happy wheels.

It's fun to play it like pewdiepie, and keep going "front flip"

Creston

As I said in one of the other threads, it's really fun on a tablet. I got it from one of the Humble Android Bundles, and it comes with the original version called Smuggle Truck. I guess Steam had a problem with a game about smuggling illegal aliens across the border, so the devs changed them to stuffed animals and called it Snuggle Truck.

MeanJim on Steam

27. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 21, 2012, 19:20 jimnms

I thought the world was over this morning when I woke up and my internet connection was out. I couldn't check Steam's store page, so I grabbed my netbook and left home early. I saw a work truck from the cable co. down the street from my house, so I figured they'd have it back on by the time I got home. I drove to a McDonald's and sat in the parking lot using their free wifi to check Steam. I didn't miss anything and there was over 4 hours until the next set of flash deals rolled over.

When I got home this evening it was still out. I called the cable co. and they said they were aware of the problem and crews were in the area working on it. I ate a snack and watched something that was recorded. I was about to pack up my netbook and head back to McDonalds when a few minutes ago when it finally came back up. It must have been something serious for it to be out so long.

Around this same time (Steam winter sale) the last two years my connection was constantly cutting off and on several times a day. I'm wondering if my ISP is doing this on purpose.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Humble Indie Bundle 7
8. Re: Humble Indie Bundle 7 Dec 20, 2012, 05:19 jimnms

I already have Grimrock, The Binding of Isaac and watched Indie Game the Movie on Netflix streaming. I have Shank from one of their previous bundles, but I haven't played it. I hear it's good, so maybe I'll play it and Shank 2 some time.

I basically picked it up just for Snapshot and Closure. I still paid above the average even though I already have Grimrock, and Dungeon Defenders doesn't really interest me.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Redbox Dec 18, 2012, 00:51 jimnms

What's to stop someone from renting something, photocopying it, then calling to claim they got the photocopy instead? Then Redbox accuses the person before the actual fraudster of fraud.  

MeanJim on Steam

17. Borderlands 2 Dec 17, 2012, 18:14 jimnms

Shift code for 5 (FIVE) keys in BL2: WT5TB-XC5ZC-CX3T3-BBT3B-B35WB  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 17, 2012, 16:02 jimnms

Creston wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 10:45:
Does anyone have any experience yet with Windows 8's image creation and recovery? The feature exists in Win7, but it's terrible. It always insists on adding my D and E drives (which are several hundred gigs in size), and the one time I'd tried to use it anyway I finally canceled it after it had been running for FOUR DAYS.

(tl;dr: Image creation and recovery sucks on Win7. Is it any better on Win8?)

Creston

I used Win7's image backup to move to a new/bigger HD once, and it worked great. I was moving from a 1TB drive to a 1.5TB drive. When I originally installed Win7 on the 1TB I had a 30GB C: partition with the rest for D:, and I used an unattend.xml to put the Users directory on the D: partition. When I restored the image on the new drive, it did re-create the partition structure of the old drive on the new one (30GB C:, 970GB D:), but it didn't actually backup or restore anything from D:. I then deleted the D: partition and used Win7's built in partition re-sizer to bump C: up to 50GB. I used GParted to direct copy over the old D: partition to the new drive, and then re-sized it to fill up the rest of the drive.

MeanJim on Steam

21. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2012, 23:48 jimnms

Prez wrote on Dec 16, 2012, 16:59:
You only pay $30 for 25mb/s down?? Shocked

Comcast charges me $75 for 25/3, and another $50 for VOIP. No wonder I'm poor!

I don't have a cable bill handy (it's the only bill that I can't get paperless), but looking at my bank I pay $105 for cable + internet. I only have basic cable and standard internet (they offer lite and enhanced). I think the internet part is $60 for 10Mbit down and 1Mbit up.

I've thought of dropping the cable TV part, but then they charge more for the internet and I think it only saves $10. I don't watch much TV, but of the few shows that I do watch, there are a couple that I "can't" get online.

I also still have a land line from the phone co. that costs me $40 a month. I don't use it, but there is a phone hooked up to it with its ringer turned off. I keep it because I've had that number my entire life, but it's also comforting to know it still works when nature decides to remind us who's in charge. We were without power for almost 2 weeks after Katrina, and down here we get an occasional winter storm that knocks out power and shuts the city down for days. Every time we've had an incident that cause large scale power outages for several days, cell phone towers only have about 2 days of backup power, but the old land line stays on through it.

MeanJim on Steam

29. Re: This Dec 15, 2012, 21:41 jimnms

jdreyer wrote on Dec 15, 2012, 17:04:
nin wrote on Dec 15, 2012, 16:37:
The idea of teachers carrying in the classroom just boggles the mind...

And yet, here it is, the day of the shooting.

Schools these days are already more prison like than when I was in high school, so I wouldn't want to see armed guards in schools or teachers being trained to use carry guns in the classroom. However, if a teacher has a permit to legally carry, I don't see a problem in allowing that teacher to carry a concealed weapon at school. Remember the Pearl, MS shooting? After shooting up the high school, the shooter planned to drive to the Jr. High while the police were busy responding to the High School. The assistant principal ran out to his truck and got his pistol and stopped the shooter before he could leave. The shooting got lots of coverage by mass media networks, but it was only mentioned a few times about how an armed assistant principal stopped it before police showed up.

MeanJim on Steam

39. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 15, 2012, 07:46 jimnms

Ugh, don't even get me started on the "Assault Weapon" ban. It was a political stunt and did nothing to prevent crime. The DOJ's own review of the ban found that its effect on gun violence was too small for reliable measurement, because assault weapons are rarely used in crimes. All it effectively did was ban the use of more than two cosmetic features on semi-automatic military looking replicas. I have three friends and two relatives in law enforcement, and all of them knew the law was junk.

I agree with you that there are a lot of stupid people with guns, but I believe there are more responsible gun owners than there are irresponsible ones. I don't have a solution to stop crazy people from legally obtaining a gun without stopping sane people. A good start would be harsher punishment for all crimes committed with a gun, so send the yo-yo from the basketball game to prison for two counts of attempted murder and tack on some extra for using a gun. Send the black Friday idiot to jail and take away his right to own a gun ever again.

Edit: I was just reading an opinion article someone posted elsewhere and saw this in the comments: "Why have there been so many mass shootings at schools, and so few at shooting ranges?" I laughed, then I felt bad for laughing.

This comment was edited on Dec 15, 2012, 07:57.

MeanJim on Steam

35. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 15, 2012, 04:17 jimnms

Cutter wrote on Dec 15, 2012, 02:15:
Yeah, but the flip side is there are places it could end up an insane bloodbath. Look at the theater shooting this summer. Now imagine if everyone is armed and you have a couple of hundred people all whipping out guns and shooting anything that looks like a threat. I dunno. Again, it comes back to people because I'd be more afraid of everyone walking around armed when you consider how many fucking tools are out there.

I don't know what the restrictions are for carry and conceal but I'd like to imagine they're pretty stringent in most places. Maybe it should come down to it's ok for anyone to keep a handgun/shotgun/rifle in the house but it has to be hard as hell to get a carry and conceal permit and very heavy prison sentences for anyone who breaks it. At the very least their should be psych tests for psychopathic tendencies. I'm considering switching careers and joining customs and if you don't pass the psych tests you don't get hired.

The requirement for a permit to conceal carry is different by state. I have a permit to carry in my state, and it consisted of a background check and a 6 month waiting period (and $300).

This article pretty much answers your questions.

TL;DR:
Most of the guns owned by law-abiding citizens are kept at home, but 87 percent of violent crimes occur outside the home. The constantly armed portion of the community consists primarily of the police and violent criminals.
Florida, which in 1987 enacted a concealed-carry law guaranteeing a gun permit to any resident who is at least 21, has no record of crime, mental illness or drug or alcohol abuse, and who has completed a firearms safety course. Florida's homicide rate fell following the enactment of this law, as did the rate in Oregon after the enactment of a similar law.
Ninety percent of violent crimes are committed by persons not carrying handguns. This is one reason why the mere brandishing of a gun by a potential victim of violence often is a sufficient response to a would-be attacker. In most cases where a gun is used in self-defense, it is not fired.
"Florida State University criminologist Gary Kleck, using surveys and other data, has determined that armed citizens defend their lives or property with firearms against criminals approximately 1 million times a year. In 98 percent of these instances, the citizen merely brandishes the weapon or fires a warning shot. Only in 2 percent of the cases do citizens actually shoot their assailants. In defending themselves with their firearms, armed citizens kill 2,000 to 3,000 criminals each year, three times the number killed by the police. A nationwide study by Don Kates, the constitutional lawyer and criminologist, found that only 2 percent of civilian shootings involved an innocent person mistakenly identified as a criminal. The 'error rate' for the police, however, was 11 percent, more than five times as high."

Since only 10% of crimes are committed with handguns, don't think that banning guns would reduce crime by 10% because the article also points out "93 percent of the guns obtained by violent criminals are not obtained through lawful transactions that are the focus of most gun control legislation." Crime would increase because law abiding gun owners wouldn't be able to prevent crime anymore.

Personal gun ownership was banned in the UK in 1997. The use of handguns in crime rose by 40% in the two years after the ban. In 1997 2,648 crimes were reported involving handguns [1]. Last year that number was 5,507 [2].

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Trailer
12. Re: Elite: Dangerous Trailer Dec 13, 2012, 23:37 jimnms

Jivaro wrote on Dec 13, 2012, 21:32:
You must be new here....let me break it down for you. It doesn't matter if you can use whatever you want to control the game. The fact that they allow people to use a XBOX controller is quite simply offensive to every red blooded member of the master PC gaming race. To hell with personal preferences and customer satisfaction, if people want a gamepad they don't deserve to play a PC game. Hell, they don't deserve a PC.

(yes, that was sarcasm)

I don't care if you play with mouse/KB, keyboard only or a controller. In a game like this I would be using a joystick along with keyboard and mouse, and a controller is basically a handheld joystick. I do care when game designers gimp the game's interface and functionality to support a controller (eg. Borderlands, Borderlands 2, DNF, Skyrim etc.), however they have yet to show off any of the game's interface.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evochron Mercenary Expands
7. Re: Evochron Mercenary Expands Dec 13, 2012, 17:07 jimnms

Suppa7 wrote on Dec 13, 2012, 15:46:
It's too bad the guy behind evo has no fucking clue how to make a fun space combat game. It's basically flight simulator in space for the retarded half of humanity. More proof that trying to be realistic leads to shitty unfun games. No wonder he did it himself.

I find it funny that you call people who like realism retarded. If you want an arcadey space shooter, go play an arcadey space shooter. Personally I don't find space/flying/driving games fun if the vehicles don't handle in a realistic manner. My brain is hardwired to expect the world to work the way it does, and if I'm playing a game and things are too unrealistic it's distracting and makes games "shitty unfun" for me because my brain is telling me something isn't right.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evochron Mercenary Expands
3. Re: Evochron Mercenary Expands Dec 13, 2012, 13:28 jimnms

nin wrote on Dec 13, 2012, 13:11:
I should really install this and give it a go. But the one time I tried it (granted, years ago), it had a bit of a curve, and I wasn't sure what I was supposed to be doing...

Anyone know of a beginners guide anywhere?

There are some video tutorials on the main site to give you an idea of how to get started.

The game seems big and overwhelming. I bought it on a Steam sale, either this past summer or last winter. I played the tutorial and explored the starting solar system a bit, but never got farther than that. I guess now is a good time to get back into it.

Also, if you've bought the Steam version, you can right click the game and get the CD key, which can be used on the download version from the official site.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > November Steam Hardware & Software Survey
2. Re: November Steam Hardware & Software Survey Dec 13, 2012, 13:15 jimnms

I haven't gotten the Steam survey popup in a while. My system hasn't had any major changes in a couple of years, so that may be why.  

MeanJim on Steam

2247 Comments. 113 pages. Viewing page 26.
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo