Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2063 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > Bethesda S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Rumor
45. Re: Bethesda S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Rumor Jul 31, 2012, 18:24 jimnms

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 13:54:
Still, I'd have rather seen Ubisoft pick them up and implement STALKER using the Dunia (Far Cry 2 /3) engine. Now THAT would be awesome. And before people complain about Ubisoft's DRM you have to remember that STALKER's DRM was actually much worse (it used TAGES limited activations)!

Only Clear Sky used/uses TAGES, and I wouldn't say that is worse than Ubisoft's DRM. At least with TAGES, after activation you can play your game whenever you want even if your internet connection goes down, and you don't get booted from the game if there's a disruption in connection or their noPlay servers go down.

Steam Profile
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Mad Catz's Flight Simulator X Add-on Plans
6. Re: Mad Catz's Flight Simulator X Add-on Plans Jul 25, 2012, 16:13 jimnms

I still use an X45, but I've thought about getting the X52 if I find it cheap enough. A friend of mine has the X52 and I like the lighter controls on it. The X45's controls are so stiff, it's not good to use for helicopters which require light precision movement. I do prefer the X45's rudder being on the throttle more than the twisty stick of the X52 though.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Rage Jul 25, 2012, 16:07 jimnms

Rage is $6 with free shipping at NewEgg. Don't know how long this will last.

I told myself I'd pick it up during the Steam if it went below $10, which it didn't. Now I have a chance to grab it for $6, but I'm having second thoughts. I look at all the games I haven't even started or haven't finished, and I'm kind of thinking I might just write this one off.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 25, 2012, 16:00 jimnms

How out of touch is the ASA with "kids?" When I was 16, during the summer I would still be in bed at 2:30pm on Sunday.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Steam Hardware Survey Results & Bug Fix
13. Re: Steam Hardware Survey Results & Bug Fix Jul 25, 2012, 15:55 jimnms

I can't remember the last time Steam asked me to take the hardware survey, so I think the bug wasn't quite fixed.

Is anyone else having problems displaying the survey page. The graphs use Flash, and since that wave of Flash fuckups and updates, the flash plugin crashes and other problems with pages using flash. The latest Flash update (11.6.5.635) fixed most of the crashes, but it still does weird shit on some pages. On the Steam survey page, the graphs load fine, but when I scroll down to see more, the graphs become distorted and mirror other parts of the page.

Steam Profile

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2012, 15:13 jimnms

nin wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 14:12:
Also is the Steam sale over?!?

Apparently so...the front page looks rather bland now. But hey, I no longer have to check steam at 2AM to see what just went on sale...

I'm both disappointed (no more surprises) and relieved (for my wallet)...

edit: 5 months until the xmas sale!
<daffy duck> whoo hoo! hoo hoo! hoo hoo! hoo hoo!</daffy duck>

I made it through the sale storm with little damage done to my bank account. Most of the sales were games I already had, had no interest in or I knew I wouldn't play any time soon and would go on sale again later (possibly cheaper). My biggest single purchase was $6.24 for Evochron Mercenary. I went back and forth with myself on that one. I tried the demo a while back and liked it, but for some reason I didn't get it the last time it was on sale. Other than that I picked up a couple of $2.50 titles, one of which I missed by minutes during the winter sale.

I did miss one game I wanted, it came up as a flash deal when I checked the store page for the new daily deals. I put it in my cart and was about to checkout when something distracted me. Then for some reason I had it in my head that it was a daily deal, so I wasn't in a rush to get back to my computer. When I finally got back, the game was gone, and it never came back up.

Steam Profile

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 21, 2012, 16:50 jimnms

jdreyer wrote on Jul 21, 2012, 15:15:
EEvochron Mercenary on sale. Any good? There has been such a dearth of space sims for the past decade or so.

I've been kind of interested in this too. It has a time limited demo (90 min), but it's not enough time to get an idea if this is the kind of game I'll stick with for a long time or get tired of after a few days.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Campaign 58 Hours
4. Re: Borderlands 2 Campaign 58 Hours Jul 19, 2012, 13:13 jimnms

That seems short compared to the first game. I played it with a couple of friends, and Steam says I put 135 hours on it. That was the base game and all DLC. I don't know how much of that was the base game and how much on DLC. One of the DLC was merged into the regular game world, and the rest took place in separate worlds. One was the arena fighting stuff, which we didn't do much on, and the other two I remember being kind of short. I think I remember the game adjust the difficulty with more people, so maybe it takes longer playing coop than solo.

I didn't pick up the first one at release. I ended up getting it on sale for $7.50. I bought three copies and gave the other two to friends because they thought the game looked stupid, but then they enjoyed the hell out of it. They've both since moved and don't have decent internet to be able to play games now.

I doubt I'll pick this up at all because as much as I liked the first Borderlands, I think I enjoyed the coop experience more than the game itself. I don't think it would have been as fun playing by myself.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Identity Theft Suspect Has The Misfortune To Run Into His Victim At The Bank Jul 18, 2012, 23:17 jimnms

The man had ordered new checks recently, and cops think that perhaps the suspect had stolen them from the mail.
WTF? Checks? I can't even remember the last time I wrote a check.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Steam Sale Day Seven
17. Re: Steam Sale Day Seven Jul 18, 2012, 19:40 jimnms

Rattlehead wrote on Jul 18, 2012, 17:28:
wtf is taking so long to get Arma II on sale?

As I sad in a reply to a previous story, I don't think ArmA II will have as big of a sale as it's had in the past now that DayZ has made it a hot product again. I bought it two years ago for $12.50 during Amazon's winter sale. I think Steam sold it for the same price during a sale last year.

Now that DayZ has made it popular again, enough that it was a top seller even at full price, I predict at most we'll see is 33% off.

Steam Profile

17. Re: Frozenbyte give away... Jul 18, 2012, 16:52 jimnms

SimplyMonk wrote on Jul 18, 2012, 14:43:
jimnms wrote on Jul 18, 2012, 14:31:
If it's for Trine 2 CE, I'll trade my Shadowgrounds Survivor key for it. I missed the sale on it.

You can have my coupon if you want. 75% off the Trine 2 CE

Already made the trade. I actually have Trine 2, but not the CE. I want to buy the CE upgrade, but it won't let me use it on the upgrade. Oh well.

Steam Profile

13. Re: Frozenbyte give away... Jul 18, 2012, 14:31 jimnms

nin wrote on Jul 18, 2012, 12:58:
jimnms wrote on Jul 18, 2012, 12:06:
PHJF wrote on Jul 18, 2012, 11:38:
free game my ass, i got a coupon for 75% off a game that was already 75% off during the sale.

Wait 10 minutes and play it again.

Shitty assed flash is giving the browser fits...but I'm not stopping!

It looks like they were only giving out a limited number of keys. The prize list is down to Shadowgrounds and Shadowgrounds Survivor, the rest are 75% off coupons.

PHJF what coupon did you get? If it's for Trine 2 CE, I'll trade my Shadowgrounds Survivor key for it. I missed the sale on it.

Steam Profile

9. Re: Frozenbyte give away... Jul 18, 2012, 12:06 jimnms

PHJF wrote on Jul 18, 2012, 11:38:
free game my ass, i got a coupon for 75% off a game that was already 75% off during the sale.

Wait 10 minutes and play it again.

Steam Profile

4. Frozenbyte give away... Jul 18, 2012, 11:15 jimnms

Frozenbyte is giving away Steam keys for their games by playing this little slot machine deal. I won Shadowgrounds Survivor on my 9th pull, but I already have it.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Jul 17, 2012, 23:49 jimnms

The best year in gaming history for me had nothing to do with the games that came out and more to do with my gaming experience. All of my good friends I met pre-internet era through a local BBS where we would arrange Doom 2 matches playing over direct modem connections, which led to 4 player lan parties with Doom 2 and later Duke Nukem 3D.

Enter the internet era, we all had tech jobs in town, a few of the guys started a local computer shop selling custom built systems and offering tech support. We starting having LAN parties there occasionally on weekends. At first it was small, usually 6-8 of us and, then somehow word got out around town and eventually it became a regular weekly event with 16-20 people just showing up. We would split up into teams and played Threewave CTF and other mods for Quake, then eventually moving to Quake 2 once good mods were out for it. To me that was the best year(s) in gaming history.

I don't know how long it lasted, at least a year or more before they closed the shop when a CompUSA opened up. Those are the year(s) I'll never forget.

Steam Profile

News Comments > On Sale
29. Re: On Sale Jul 17, 2012, 10:01 jimnms

Dev wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 02:40:
I'm fairly sure arma 2 is going to go on a good sale on steam before this is up, I think they are hoping to milk the 20% off as much as they can first though.
So many people breaking the "do NOT buy stuff on steam until the last day if its not a daily/flash deal" rule that arma II is still staying near the top even at just 20% off.

And worst case, if it doesn't go on sale, one can pick it up on amazon, though thats not a steam version I don't think.

With the popularity of DayZ driving up sales even before the summer sale, I don't think they're going to discount it much more if any now that their product is hot again. I'm going to predict the best discount we'll see for ArmA II will be a -33% flash sale or daily deal.

I picked it up on Amazon during their 2010 winter sale. I don't know what percent off it was or the "original" price before the discount, but it was only $12.50. I think Steam had it for the same price the following summer or winter.

I like Amazon downloads. You download the contents of the game disks, install it and play, no DRM (at least for this title). No activation required, and it doesn't phone home when you run it.

Right now Amazon lists it as unavailable. Did they have a sale and sell all of their available keys?

Steam Profile

News Comments > etc.
12. Re: etc. Jul 16, 2012, 00:51 jimnms

When I'm really into a game, I just forget to eat. Even when my stomach starts to growl, I'm like ok, let me finish this level, map, round, etc. and I'll go get something. Even then I keep putting it off because shit keeps happening to keep me from leaving, like if it's a MP game, the server switches to my favorite map or something. Eventually I begin to wonder why the game switched to B&W mode, and then I finally realize I'd better stop and go eat.  

Steam Profile

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 15, 2012, 01:15 jimnms

DG wrote on Jul 14, 2012, 17:21:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jul 14, 2012, 15:35:

Considering how cheap a good laser printer will cost these days, you might want to consider grabbing one of those the next time you need a replacement. Especially with the cost of toner cartridges. I picked up a Samsung CLP-320 for $120 last year and I'm still on the starter toner kit, and I've already printed double what the starter kit listed for the number of pages would print. They listed 2000 b/w and 400-500 colour. I've gotten ~4800b/w and around 650 colour so far.

And considering the toner cartridge is around the same price each for a single colour pack these days, I still end up coming ahead when I did the math.
+1

Picked up a super-cheap Samsung ML-2010 maybe 5 years ago and never looked back. I'm still using the toner that came with it, it's much faster, print quality much higher and more reliable. Can be slightly fussy with paper though.
+2

Inkjet ink is a scam. If don't use your printer for a couple of months, the ink dries out anyway. I rarely ever print anything, but with ink cartridges drying out after about 3 months, whether I used them or not, I was spending over $1 a page in ink. I bought a Samsung printer-scanner-copier for < $100 a few years ago. The starter toner didn't last long, but the replacement cartridges are only about $20 more than an ink cartridge and are good for 5000 pages. Luckily I managed to find three cartridges at CompUSA on their last day open and bought them for 90% off. I think I'm set for life with toner.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 13, 2012, 14:52 jimnms

Apparently they didn't, I'm still getting errors.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Begins
119. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 12, 2012, 23:38 jimnms

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 21:12:
Anyone know if you can UNLINK for FB account? I don't have one, so I would link a friends then take it off. heheheh
Yes. I have a FB account, but I never put anything on it and don't use it. I linked it last time it was used for an achievement or something, then immediately unlinked it. Steam still thinks it's linked because I have that achievement.

Steam Profile

2063 Comments. 104 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo