Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2228 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

News Comments > On Sale
1. Deadlight Jan 30, 2013, 02:24 jimnms

It's $3.75 on Amazon for a Steam code. Or for $9.99 you can get it as part of a bundle.  

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Jan 27, 2013, 18:05 jimnms

Yep, bought it this morning. Three of the games were on my Steam wishlist, and I had a $5 credit.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 22, 2013, 21:11 jimnms

I would like to see a Linux based OS built from the ground up as a desktop OS, not a UNIX wannabe. Most Linux distros are so damn bloated it makes Windows look like a bulimic supermodel. Don't get me wrong, I like Linux, I worked with it for years for servers and in other specific applications, but the lack of a standard between the various distros isn't helping it takeover the desktop market.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > New Evochron Mercenary
13. Re: New Evochron Mercenary Jan 19, 2013, 00:59 jimnms

Although I bought it on sale last year, I didn't start playing it until recently. It does have a story and a goal, I guess ItBurn didn't pay attention to the message at the start of the game instructing you to go to a certain planet and accept a specific job to begin the story.

You can ignore the story and do your own thing, which is what I did at first. When I tried to use the jump drive and go to the planet, it said my jump drive wasn't capable of making the jump. I didn't realize you could set the auto pilot and it would plot a course making several jumps (or do it yourself manually), and there was a jump gate near by that took you closer.

I thought I needed to upgrade first, so I hung around the starting star system doing odd jobs to upgrade my ship. I finally started the story missions, which so far are basically tutorial type missions that I'd already done. I was having fun I got to the combat part of the story missions.

I guess the missions scale to your rank or something because I constantly get my ass kicked. I looked in the forums and found a link to some tutorial videos, and when the guy gets to the mission I'm on, he only has to take out two weak ass ships. When I get it, it will be either 3 or 4 tougher ships. The closest I got was when it was 3 ships. I managed to take out two, but had to use my jump drive go get out. My hull was damaged, and there happened to be a station nearby. I docked, repaired and went back to the location where the ships were, but the last ship was no where to be found.

I went in the game intending to play as a mercenary, doing whatever to make money, but not primarily a fighter.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Jan 12, 2013, 00:40 jimnms

WTF happened to Amazon's 2012 Editor's Choice deals. I've got two $5 credits, and it says they're good through the 31st. I had a quick look at the games when they were posted on the 1st. The games on the list were still discounted at their winter sale prices. I was definitely going to get one of them. I've had some family issues come up that I've been having to take care of and didn't get around to. Since the credits were good through he 31st, I assumed the discounts would be too, so I just put it off until I had more time. I finally had the time last night and remembered it, but now the prices have all gone up. When did they do that? It would have been cheaper to buy the games during the sale since the credits don't stack.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steam Sale Encore This Weekend
33. Re: Steam Sale Encore This Weekend Jan 5, 2013, 08:39 jimnms

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 01:40:
If you get New Vegas go here and at least get the bugfix mods.

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/top/

It's a good game. I actually still play it. I liked all the DLC but if you can only get one get Old World Blues.

You might as well get all of the DLC, since most bug fixing mods require all of them anyway, like Mission Mojave - Ultimate Edition.

Also while your at it, grab Delay DLC, which does what it sounds like, it delays the activation of the DLC quests until you're within range of the radio station that starts them. Without it, as soon as you start a new game you pick up these radio signals and get quests and locations added to your PipBoy.

Another one to get is DLC Weapon Integration which does what the devs should have done, it integrates the new weapons added by the DLC into the world. You'll find the new weapons being used by NPC's and sold by vendors and merchants.

El Pit wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 05:58:
It reminds me of "X-Wing": You MUST register!

Any DDLs or register-free links to the mods would be welcome. I HATE to register for everything.

You can download files from the Nexus without registering.

MeanJim on Steam

29. Re: Steam Sale Encore This Weekend Jan 5, 2013, 00:41 jimnms

Wallshadows wrote on Jan 4, 2013, 19:13:
Wow, that's really heartbreaking to hear it went that low and I missed it! I'm still fairly new to GMG so I'll be sure to double down and compare on my visits to check out the sales. Actually, just checking it out now and there's a 20% off discount code so maybe if XCOM goes back on sale while that's offered, I can snag a decent deal. I don't expect it to go back on sale, but here's to hoping.

Is there any structure to their sales or do they shuffle them at random?

It was a one day deal, and GMG's sale is over. I posted about it in comments of that day's sale topic. I don't remember what Steam's best sale on XCOM was, but right now it's 50% off at Amazon as part of their 2012 Editor's Choice sale, and if you bought anything during their December sale you get a $5 discount on those games. Since I bought two things from Amazon, I have two $5 discounts, but there's only one game I want from the list of games. I would give you the other $5 credit if I could, but it's not tradeable.

MeanJim on Steam

28. Re: Steam Sale Encore This Weekend Jan 5, 2013, 00:17 jimnms

Saboth wrote on Jan 4, 2013, 20:31:
I picked X-Com up for 19.99 on Amazon as well. Haven't bought anything from GMG, as some people reportedly have their cards rejected or paypal declined when buying things.

I've never heard of anyone having PayPal declined, but it's not GMG's fault for the credit card problems. GMG is based in the UK, and some overly paranoid credit card companies automatically deny oversees payments.

I've bought a lot of stuff from GMG, and never had a problem. Everything I've bought from them are Steam games, so I don't know anything about their Capsule program, but I've heard it works fine. You can trade games (except Steam keys) back in for credit. I have picked up a few free games during promotions that I was later able to trade in.

MeanJim on Steam

15. Re: Steam Sale Encore This Weekend Jan 4, 2013, 18:33 jimnms

Wallshadows wrote on Jan 4, 2013, 17:11:
I feel as though there is some kind of void in my current lineup of titles, especially after picking up several within the sale but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Maybe I just need a damn fine strategy game to lay in to so here's to hoping XCOM can come down a little to help pass the time until the launch of Colonial Marines.

You're a bit late to grab XCOM at a discount. GMG had the best deal on XCOM, 50% off which stacked with the 30% coupon bringing it down to $17.50.

So far all of the best deals have been outside Steam, even for Steam games. I looked at my total so far, and I've only bought two games for myself on Steam during this sale. I've spent more at GMG and Amazon for Steam games, plus picked up some games from GOG.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
8. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jan 2, 2013, 21:46 jimnms

When I saw the title I thought it was going to be an Onion article.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
7. Amazon.com: Best of 2012 in Video Games. Jan 2, 2013, 21:33 jimnms

Fuck I knew I shouldn't have bought the BF3 Premium Edition on Amazon when it was on sale last week. It was cheaper than the Premium upgrade, but now they have the Premium upgrade for $25, and I have two $5 credits so I could have gotten it for $20 instead of $30. I kind of regretted buying it since I don't have time to play BF3 much, but I was thinking the new maps might motivate me to make time for it.

So now I have two $5 credits and only one game on the list that I want.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > GOG.com Sale Concluding; Steam Sale Continues
44. Re: GOG.com Sale Concluding; Steam Sale Continues Jan 2, 2013, 20:42 jimnms

I've been looking at getting a controller to play some platformer games. I was thinking of getting the Logitech F310. They run about $25. It has a switch to change it between xinput (360) an direct input modes. However the reviews I've seen say the analog sticks have huge dead zones. This probably wouldn't be a problem for me since I'd only be using it for platformer games, but it is a bit of a concern.

I looked on Amazon months ago and I swear the wired controllers were $30, but around xmas they were $32. I decided to wait until after the holidays for the price to return to normal, but now they're $35-40 from 3rd party sellers. I've seen the wireless ones go on sale a lot for less than the wired ones though.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > On Sale
7. Re: On Sale Jan 1, 2013, 18:45 jimnms

GMG had the BL2 DLC 50% off last Thursday as a daily deal and it stacked with their 30% off coupon. I picked it up for $10 (I had a 50 cent credit).  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > On Sale
32. Re: On Sale Dec 31, 2012, 21:23 jimnms

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 31, 2012, 19:11:
ALMOST ready to pull the trigger on DSC Warthog, but not sure if I'd invest the time to actually learn the aircraft systems, but watching the Giant Bomb video of the guys just trying to start up the aircraft makes me want it

Realistic military flight sims is what really got me into PC gaming. Falcon 4 was the last one I played, and probably still the greatest one ever made. I enjoyed going through the training learning the systems, etc., and the dynamic campaign of F4 is something that's never been beaten.

For some reason I haven't been into hardcore sims lately. I have Black Shark, but only played it enough to learn to start it up and fly around. I didn't get to learning the navigation and weapon systems. With only single missions and a linear/branching campaign, I just didn't stick with it because it felt like once I finished learning the aircraft there wasn't anything left to do. Maybe I don't have the patience I once had or Falcon 4 spoiled me.

I was tempted to get A-10 during the fall sale, but decided not to. Then it came up as the community choice deal the other day, and I decided to go ahead and get it. I had it in my cart ready to check out, then the Steam store page kept timing out (the community pages worked fine though). I stayed up trying for a while, but finally had to go to bed.

I just took it as a sign that maybe it's time to retire from flight sims, but then it came up during the flash deal last night I went ahead and grabbed it.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > On Sale
26. Re: On Sale Dec 31, 2012, 20:56 jimnms

Cutter wrote on Dec 31, 2012, 18:42:
Who's whining? We're just saying the sale hasn't been anything great this year. There are obviously several titles we all expected to see substantial cuts on and haven't yet. That's just stating a fact. Even GMG and Amazon. Sure a few good ones here and there but overall? Meh.

That's the whole point of the turkey story. The employer gave the employees a turkey one year, and the next year the employees expected to get a turkey. Then the next year the employees were complaining because the turkey wasn't as big as last year.

Let's tell the same story except replace employer with Steam, employees with gamers and turkey with sale and see what happens:

Steam gave the gamers a sale one year, and the next year the gamers expected to get a sale. Then the next year the gamers were complaining because the sale wasn't as big as last year.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > On Sale
20. Re: On Sale Dec 31, 2012, 18:22 jimnms

All of the whining I'm seeing (here and elsewhere) about how this year's Steam sales suck reminds me of the Turkey story in this video.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
2. The Most Pirated Films & Shows Of 2012 Dec 30, 2012, 16:44 jimnms

Is it really pirating if you pay for cable or it's a show that airs on an OTA channel and you download it? I use a DVR to record shows to watch later and skip commercials. I've had to go to torrent sites and download TV episodes that I missed because the cable was out or some other problem caused it to not record. I'm usually days or weeks behind on shows, so I don't find out until I get around to watching it.

I have basic cable, which included local stations in digital HD and the rest shitty analog. My cable co. sucks, because for some random reason the local channels will go to shit. The digital channel will either not work at all or it's garbled and skips, and even the analog channel will be fuzzy. I guess they just pick up the local broadcast channels with an antenna and pipe then through the cable, and their antenna is located in a bad spot.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Nvidia Display Driver Service Dec 28, 2012, 17:56 jimnms

What does the Nvidia driver service actually do anyway? I used to disable it and never had any problems. I think starting with the 260 or 280 series drivers the Nvidia control panel no longer works with the service disable, so now I put it in manual mode. It stays off and starts automatically when you run the control panel, and I still don't have any problems in games with it not running. I rarely go into the Nvidia control panel, and if I do I stop the service when I'm done. Any custom settings for a game still get applied with the service stopped.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 28, 2012, 13:33 jimnms

XCOM is $17.50 on GMG today. It's 50% off and stacks with the 30% off coupon (GMG30-DPLIM-DN831).

I'm still on the fence about it though. I still hear it's quite buggy and there haven't been any patches for it. I watched some let's play videos on YouTube back after its release, and it looks repetitive and might get bored with it after a while.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Out of the Blue
24. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 28, 2012, 13:26 jimnms

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 28, 2012, 10:08:
Anyone notice that 617MB update for Fallout New Vegas?

Mine showed 9.2GB, but paused itself after 350MB. When I clicked resume, it immediately jumped to finished. A lot of people on the forums said the same thing happened to them.

I compared the "updated" FNV dir to the one on my backup drive, and it looks like it just re-downloaded the DLC files. They were exactly the same, except the time stamp was newer.

MeanJim on Steam

2228 Comments. 112 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo