Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2063 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > First Steam Greenlight Selections
10. Re: First Steam Greenlight Selections Sep 11, 2012, 16:26 jimnms

I voted for Black Mesa, Kenshi, Project Zomboid and Towns. I've played the No More Room in Hell mod and would have voted for it, but somehow I never saw it.  

Steam Profile
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Valve Profile; Big Picture UI Testing Tomorrow
10. Re: Valve Profile; Big Picture UI Testing Tomorrow Sep 9, 2012, 20:58 jimnms

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Sep 9, 2012, 18:36:
Basically this. I generally love the service experience but what they call "support" is hilariously bad. I submitted a ticket to them 6 days ago for a refund on Home because it turns out the game has a known compatibility issue with my sound card that causes it to run mute, one the author says he isn't going to fix. Not even an acknowledgement. Their site says they have "high ticket volume", which it's has for months. Same crap you get when you call a big telco's support line. When searching my e-mail for the ticket number, I found another ticket I submitted a couple years back for a problem with the Steam client itself. It literally never got a response and was automatically closed after a month. The whole "choose your job" thing sounds great except when it comes to things like customer service which is a job few would put themselves in. This isn't some tiny indie with no budget, it's bloody Valve. The support experience should equal everything else that makes them great.

I've only submitted a support ticket once, and that was to request a refund on GTA IV. The initial release was so fucked up, especially buying it from Steam. Not only did you have to run Steam, it loaded MS Live and the RockStar Social Club thing. To top it off the controls weren't customizable, which made it impossible for me to play, which wasn't Valve's fault.

I submitted a ticket requesting a refund, but then used AutoHotKey to get around the screwed up key binding and started to enjoy the game. The next day I got a reply, they had issued a refund and removed the game from my account. They have a no refund policy, so I never expected to actually get one. I then went to the store and bought the boxed version.

They did mention their no refund policy in the reply, but stated they would make an exception this one time. That's the one issue I have with Steam is the no refund policy. It was then when I decided I wouldn't buy a game on Steam unless it was heavily discounted or required Steam.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
2. Re: Saturday Metaverse Sep 8, 2012, 20:07 jimnms

an 86 year old man who accidentally sent Comcast a $6453 payment because he screwed up the placement of a decimal point for a payment of $64.53

How is it even possible they took $6453, the banks are supposed to go by the amount written out in words, not the number in the box.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Trine 2: Goblin Menace Released; On Sale
3. Re: Trine 2: Goblin Menace Released; On Sale Sep 7, 2012, 19:44 jimnms

Looks like an awesome deal for anyone that don't own any of the Trine games, $8.74 for both Trine, Trine 2 and this expansion. I can't help but feel a bit shafted paying almost as much for just the expansion pack when someone that hasn't bought any of their games gets everything for $2 more.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 7, 2012, 15:15 jimnms

Apple's going to claim they invented the idea and find some way to sue Pandora.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
8. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 7, 2012, 00:01 jimnms

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 6, 2012, 22:48:
How many of these cards from Ati do you know? Apart from the Radeon 9700 which was the 1 and ONLY card from ATI that totally pwned nvidia, for a short, a very short, while.

The Radeon 9700 and 9800 both owned anything nvidia had at the time. The next one that comes to mind is the 4700 and 4800 series cards that were not only cheaper, but faster than nvidia's closest competitors the GTX 260 270 and 280. I had a 4870, but it did not like my monitor when using DVI. I sent it back for replacement, but had the same problem. My old nvidia card worked fine with the monitor, but I did borrow a friends monitor and it worked fine. Rather than use VGA or buy a new monitor I sent it back and got a GTX 260 instead. I don't know if it was the particular brand's version of the 4870 or the 4870 reference design that didn't like my monitor, but using VGA connection I did play games and benchmark it while waiting for the GTX 260. The 260 was definitely slower and cost ~70 more, but it was either that or $200-300 for a new monitor.

Looking back at my GPU history I have just about alternated between ATI and nvidia except for my last two if I don't count the 4870 since I sent it back. All the talk about ATI drivers being crap I think is still left over from way back in the late '90's early 2000 when they were crap. I've had way more problems with nvidia drivers than I have with ATI, but the ATI CCC is crap compared to nvidia control panel (not that nvidia's CP is something to be proud of either).

Steam Profile

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 6, 2012, 21:47 jimnms

AMD's CPU's generally used to be cheaper than Intel's, but not always at a cost of performance. There was a time that AMD chips were not only cheaper but faster. It used to swing back and forth for a while, but AMD can't seem to get the swing moving back in their favor. The same goes for ATI their GPU's. I remember at one point an AMD/ATI GPU was more than an nvidia and it was faster.

My previous system had an AMD CPU with nvidia GPU, and it was fast and stable. I still have it as a 2nd computer for my niece to play games on, and though it's over 7 years old, it still plays a lot of games maxed out or on medium to high settings. Before that system I had an Intel CPU with an ATI GPU. I've never had any stability problems from either side.

It will not be a good thing if AMD goes out of business. Intel and nvidia will not have anyone to keep them on their toes pushing things to go faster and cheaper.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Call of Juarez Tease
3. Re: Call of Juarez Tease Sep 5, 2012, 14:57 jimnms

I still need to play the 2nd CoJ. I bought it on one of those flat round things a while back for about $5, but haven't installed it yet.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Steam Greenlight Adding Listing Fee
5. Re: Steam Greenlight Adding Listing Fee Sep 5, 2012, 11:53 jimnms

Hyatus wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 10:50:
Why not just use the $100 as a placeholder or security deposit?
After six months/one year/cancellation, the developer gets their money back.

In the meantime, they can use the interest in the account for their coffee fund.

This seems a little ridiculous.

Wow, seriously? I think donating the money to a charity that provides a little joy and happiness to terminally ill kids is a much better use of the money than a snack fund for Gabe. Any indie dev can easily raise $100 to get their game listed on Steam Greenlight.

Steam Profile

News Comments > On Sale
11. Re: On Sale Sep 5, 2012, 00:39 jimnms

I've been sick the past few days and missed the Labor day sale, so I took it as a sign from the gaming gods to let this one go. Did the gods send nin and the mystical GMG code as a sign that I should get this?  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Armored Kill Launch Trailer
8. Re: Battlefield 3 Armored Kill Launch Trailer Sep 4, 2012, 23:28 jimnms

Techie714 wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 22:06:
I'm like the only guy that still likes BF3 & I'm a huge ARMA fan...lol.

I still like BF3, I just don't have time to play it as much as I'd like.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Black Mesa Source This Month
25. Re: Black Mesa Source This Month Sep 2, 2012, 14:43 jimnms

How are they going to distribute this? Some source mods you can download directly from Steam where others have to be downloaded and installed to the sourcemods dir. I hope Valve lets them put this up on Steam, otherwise the download speeds for the first several days will suck.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Footage
26. Re: Borderlands 2 Footage Sep 2, 2012, 14:29 jimnms

descender wrote on Sep 2, 2012, 14:22:
So what did they add to create an actual Co-op situation, instead of 4 people separately running around playing a SP game?

There was no need to work together in the original, at all. No skills between classes that worked well together. Everyone just run around and press your one button!

Unless there is a fundamental change in the gameplay in 2, this will be insanely-boring, just like the first one.

Did you even watch the video or play the first game? In the first game, and in BL2, there are skill and class upgrades that are useless unless playing coop.

Steam Profile

16. Re: Borderlands 2 Footage Sep 1, 2012, 22:23 jimnms

DangerDog wrote on Sep 1, 2012, 18:51:
there's a 25% off code that activates tomorrow on green man gaming, click the "blog" link on their site for the code.

Awesome, I'm tempted to get it. I was thinking of waiting since I have too much shit to play, and I my two friends that I used to play coop with are no longer able to play. I picked up Borderlands GOTY for $7.50 on a Steam sale about a year after release. I bought it for me and the two friends that I played coop with. They thought it looked like crap and didn't want to get it when it was new, then it turned out to be some fun shit. We played it every night for about a month.

Edit: Ok, I just finished the video, and all the talk about DLC at the end is kind of putting me off. I think I'd rather wait and get the complete game and play it then rather than a piece at a time.

This comment was edited on Sep 1, 2012, 22:42.

Steam Profile

7. Re: Borderlands 2 Footage Sep 1, 2012, 18:48 jimnms

Fion wrote on Sep 1, 2012, 14:54:
On a good note, I do like the weapons. They seem even more diverse and interesting than BL1. I've already got this sucker pre-purchased, $33 from greenman gaming (steam unlock). Looking forward to it.

How did you get it for $33? Best I've seen it there is $40.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
5. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 31, 2012, 22:37 jimnms

necrosis wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 21:04:
I really have no idea how anyone can say Samsung did not copy the iPhone.

The old Steve Jobs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW0DUg63lqU

More edutainment:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1s_PybOuY0&t=4m45s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFeC25BM9E0

Steam Profile

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Trailer
5. Re: Borderlands 2 Trailer Aug 31, 2012, 16:10 jimnms

FUUUUUUUUCK I want this, but I think most of the enjoyment I got out of the first one was playing with two of my friends. Both have since moved to areas with shitty internet service, and the thought of playing this solo makes me sad. Sad  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Out of the Blue
23. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 30, 2012, 23:39 jimnms

PHJF wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 18:01:
THE DIFFERENCE IS YOUNG PEOPLE HAVE LIVES TO LIVE AND IMPORTANT THINGS TO DO.

Like play video games.

You're forgetting that young people also think they're invincible.

Steam Profile

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Aug 30, 2012, 20:26 jimnms

Is it any good? I haven't read reviews, but it looks kind of interesting.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Out of the Blue
35. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 29, 2012, 12:16 jimnms

robdot wrote on Aug 28, 2012, 14:35:
it is completely impossible for any car made, for the engine to overpower the brakes. this has been proven over and over. it cant be done. its always operator error.
second. the sirens on firetrucks are on the floor. they often get stepped on by accident. an error he probably instantly regretted as the citizens(you) are his employer.

What orifice did you pull that out of? It certainly is possible for an engine to be able to overpower the brakes. Kia most likely doesn't make one, but there are cars and trucks with engines that will overpower the brakes.

A place I worked during summer in college I drove so many different vehicles, one time I forgot I was in a diesel truck with a manual. I had just driven a pickup with an auto trans then switched to the big diesel truck with a manual. I was backing out when my brain farted and was still in auto trans mode. I stepped on the brakes and it didn't slow down. I stood on the brake pedal with both feet and the truck kept going. Then the brain fart cleared and I remembered to press the clutch.

Steam Profile

2063 Comments. 104 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo