Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2225 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live
14. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live Mar 6, 2013, 12:25 jimnms

Looks like they're going to make their $900K goal on the first day.  

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
31. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 2, 2013, 13:37 jimnms

DG wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 12:31:
Well, this is timely!

I need to replace my MX510 which was excellent but has suffered enough (too much, evidently).

I had been thinking the G500. Surprised at the comment that G400 > G500? It looked like the G500 was a straight upgrade from G400 with higher DPI, what looked like slightly better build quality plus two additional buttons - plus variable DPI and weights, which admittedly I hadn't been looking forward to fiddling about with.

edit: I can also find a G9x, albeit for twice the price of the G400.

I don't know what the other poster was smoking. The G500 is an upgrade to the G5. The G400 is an updated MX518. The MX518 and G400 are old optical tech. where the G5 and G500 are laser.

I replaced my G5 a year ago with a G500. My G5 was the first generation with only one side button, so the G500 with three side buttons is nice. The G5's max dpi is 2000. The G500 does 5700 dpi, but I find 2000 dpi to be just right.

I replaced the G5 was for 2 reasons. One, when the mouse wheel started acting up, I took it apart and found so much lint built up around it that it was blocking the sensor. While cleaning it out, a little piece flew out which is what gave the wheel the clicky feel to it. I got used to it. It was great for scrolling things like web pages, but when using it in games to switch weapons I'd sometimes scroll it too fast. The second reason was it started acting up. It moved fine in all directions except diagonally like a backslash (\).

Turns out the weird movement was caused by years of using the mouse on the bare desk. It polished the wood so fine that apparently the sensor had problems tracking on it because the G500 did the same thing, but I still don't know why it only does it in that one diagonal direction. I ended up buying a mouse pad, and it works fine now. I never bothered with the weights in the G5, or the G500 at first. After I got this mouse pad, it's so damn slick I kept accidentally moving without realizing it. I added a bit of weight to it, and it made a huge difference.

The G500 also has two scroll modes that you can switch between. It has the clicky type that works good for switching weapons in games, or you can press a button to put it in smooth scrolling like my "broken" G5's wheel.

I put the G5 on my old computer that my niece plays on when she's over here. The G5 was/is a good mouse, but I wouldn't trade the G500 for anything else.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Feb 20, 2013, 22:37 jimnms

I've never had a problem buying from GMG, but I've always used PayPal. I don't like buying things from places that only take credit card payments, I'd rather use a trusted 3rd party payment service like Amazon, PayPal or Google Wallet.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > On Sale
5. Re: On Sale Feb 19, 2013, 20:54 jimnms

nin wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 19:13:
Brink on Newegg.com. Free after rebate.

As it should be!

Still too much. Is anyone even playing it?

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Feb 18, 2013, 23:24 jimnms

Heads up for those wanting XCOM, GMG will have a 24hr 60% off sale on it Wednesday. It might stack with this weeks 20% off code too.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
17. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Feb 18, 2013, 03:33 jimnms

xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 17, 2013, 18:17:
That FB story makes me sick, and what makes me even more mad (in a time when the President is making TRILLION dollar increases to our debt and increasing taxes on the working man) is this: An article linked on that page citing the worst tax dogers in Corporate America....

Your turn Obama.....your turn....

It's actually the Congress job to set taxes, the budget and approve how much the president can be spent to get it all done. It's all political BS.

http://youtu.be/KIbkoop4AYE

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Half-Life Update Causing Mod Issues?
7. Re: Half-Life Update Causing Mod Issues? Feb 18, 2013, 00:57 jimnms

The forum posts linked mentioned that the path has changed from steamapps/user/half life to steamapps/common/half life, but I just checked my Steam directory and I still have half life under my username, and not in the common dir.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Game Reviews
3. Re: Game Reviews Feb 16, 2013, 21:53 jimnms

bigspender wrote on Feb 16, 2013, 17:29:
since when is 4.9 = tolerable.
yeah hi, i just bought a car, and after driving it, I gave it a score of 4.9

yeah sure, its only got two wheels and the windows don't work - BUT IT DOES DRIVE, i guess its tolerable.

dicks.

Since they created their rating guide:
4.0 - 4.9 - Tolerable
Tolerable means just that -- we could barely tolerate this one. The gameplay experience borders with Don't Bother, so you best be careful with these.

MeanJim on Steam

16. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2013, 20:25 jimnms

1badmf wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 19:36:
Yosemite Sam wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 18:34:
It's Xur and the Kodan Armada, they've broken through the frontier!

Meteor finally does some damage, now suddenly everyone is all about increased funding and space vigilance. Watched the news for 20 minutes today and already saw the calls going out for it.

I've always said they are wasting money searching for extrasolar planets that we will more then likely never ever be able to actually visit when we should be mapping out our own system. This isnt about funding in general, but on what they are spending the funding they already have. Messed up priorities IMO, hey I think it's really cool too that they are finding planets around other stars, but it's trivia with zero benefits or applications in our world.

doesn't have to be one or the other, and in fact there have been several programs to map the debris in the solar system, each more sensitive than the last. i remember seeing a time-lapse animation of our knowledge of the solar system not too long ago, and the dots swirling around the sun grew exponentially as the 90s rolled around and those programs went underway.

we've mapped everything down to a few hundred feet across that's within the orbit of our planets; the real problem is we don't have the tech to see all the big bastards that are out in the kuiper belt and oort cloud. it's not a matter of funding - our technology just doens't have the sensitivity.

Typical media overreaction and blowing shit out of proportion getting people scared for ratings. This afternoon I over heard a news report on a TV that it was the size of a school bus. From what I've read on astronomy sites and blogs say that the meteor was less than 2 meters in size and wouldn't have been detectable anyway.

MeanJim on Steam

6. Meteor Feb 15, 2013, 12:34 jimnms

If you're following the meteor in Russia this morning, this site has lots of pictures and videos, and seems to be getting updates as more roll in.

http://zyalt.livejournal.com/722930.html

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
2. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Feb 10, 2013, 14:52 jimnms

Panickd wrote on Feb 10, 2013, 13:36:
$8 a year for a program that only handles zip files (a format that can be dealt with by Windows itself, although poorly)? Who is paying for this that keeps that company afloat.
Probably people who don't know better. Zip is a common enough format and name that people know, but don't know that better free and paid alternatives exist and are too lazy to search for something else. Searching for "free zip program" I get 7-zip as the top two result with FreeZip third, and somehow WinZip shows up 6th on the page. To be fair, WinZip can extract most formats, but last time I checked it only compresses in zip format.

If you going to spend $30 on something, WinRAR is a much better choice. I paid for a license a long time ago after using a cracked version for years. It's a light and quick program with no bloat like WinZip that extracts lots of other formats and can compress to RAR and zip.

Then 7-zip came along and I've been using that since. I like that it's simple and gets the job done. If you want something with more bells and whistles that isn't bloated crapware like ZinZip, get PeaZip.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Into the Black
6. Re: Video Card Help Feb 7, 2013, 00:47 jimnms

nin wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 23:18:
I've been running a GTX 560 for a couple of years, and gaming at 19x10 is great. I can only imagine what a 660 would do.

Dammit, now you have me pricing shit on newegg! BAD! BAD!!!!!

I went ahead and ordered an EVGA GTX 660 OC FTW for $238 from Amazon. It's factory overclocked for the same price as some stock 660's with performance close to the more expensive 660 Ti's, and with its two big fans it runs cool and quiet (according to reviews).

I like to browse NewEgg, but since I have an Amazon prime account, I usually order from Amazon. NewEgg's site is much easier to search and compare items, but Amazon is usually the same price or cheaper.

I also found out my 470 is still under warranty for 2 more months. I guess I'll RMA it and keep it as a backup or something.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Video Card Help Feb 6, 2013, 22:57 jimnms

What are the chances of people checking and responding to this so late. My video card just crapped out on me. I was out of town yesterday, but played games all weekend just fine. I get home this afternoon (5 hours ago), turn on my system, check email, Blues, get sucked into a few YouTube videos, then my screen gets garbled and the system reboots.

The BIOS POST screen, and BIOS itself looks fine, but then it gets to the Windows recovery screen to select how you want to start Windows after the crash and the video has lines and artifacts all over the place. I select to start Windows normally, but before it gets to the log on screen, it goes black and resets again.

I managed to get to safe mode, checked logs, nothing except the BSOD error which is:
A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage
to your computer.

The problem seems to be caused by the following file: ntoskrnl.exe

UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007f (0x0000000000000008, 0x0000000080050031, 0x00000000000006f8,
0xfffff800034c0e1b)

*** ntoskrnl.exe - Address 0xfffff80003495fc0 base at 0xfffff80003417000 DateStamp
0x503f82be

Anyway, to make a long story short (too late?), I pulled the card and went through general troubleshooting for an hour or so before finally ripping an old GTX 260 out of my old system. I put the old card in and it boots up, detects it, tells me to reboot and all is well, so that tells me that the card is toast.

So, what's good in the GPU department these days? I just had a quick look at prices and it seems the GTX 660 is in the butter zone (~$220-250).

MeanJim on Steam

5. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2013, 15:21 jimnms

I stumbled on some conspiracy theory BS on YouTube last night warning people not to go to the Super Bowl because the government staged the Sandy Hook shooting and is planning something at the Super Bowl. The evidence of this "theory" were clues hidden in the movie "The Sum of All Fears." Ucrazy

If the government or anyone were planning some act of terror, why would they put clues of their plan in some stupid movie and give people 10 years to find the clues before pulling it off?

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Newell on Self-Publishing on Steam
5. Re: Newell on Self-Publishing on Steam Feb 2, 2013, 00:42 jimnms

Desura anyone? It has a client/store/game launcher/auto patch deal like Steam, but unlike Steam the games bought from Desura can be run without the client. They even offer DRM free downloads, so you don't even need to run the Desura software.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 30, 2013, 23:13 jimnms

Can we please get these old senile fuckers out of congress and get some term limits!  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: More Big Picture Details Jan 30, 2013, 02:27 jimnms

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 29, 2013, 23:02:
...Or how about telling all women that they have no say in the current medical/female body debates simply because they are female and have a self interest in the topic?
Don't they do that already?

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > On Sale
1. Deadlight Jan 30, 2013, 02:24 jimnms

It's $3.75 on Amazon for a Steam code. Or for $9.99 you can get it as part of a bundle.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Jan 27, 2013, 18:05 jimnms

Yep, bought it this morning. Three of the games were on my Steam wishlist, and I had a $5 credit.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 22, 2013, 21:11 jimnms

I would like to see a Linux based OS built from the ground up as a desktop OS, not a UNIX wannabe. Most Linux distros are so damn bloated it makes Windows look like a bulimic supermodel. Don't get me wrong, I like Linux, I worked with it for years for servers and in other specific applications, but the lack of a standard between the various distros isn't helping it takeover the desktop market.  

MeanJim on Steam

2225 Comments. 112 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo