Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2153 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
39. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 15, 2012, 07:46 jimnms

Ugh, don't even get me started on the "Assault Weapon" ban. It was a political stunt and did nothing to prevent crime. The DOJ's own review of the ban found that its effect on gun violence was too small for reliable measurement, because assault weapons are rarely used in crimes. All it effectively did was ban the use of more than two cosmetic features on semi-automatic military looking replicas. I have three friends and two relatives in law enforcement, and all of them knew the law was junk.

I agree with you that there are a lot of stupid people with guns, but I believe there are more responsible gun owners than there are irresponsible ones. I don't have a solution to stop crazy people from legally obtaining a gun without stopping sane people. A good start would be harsher punishment for all crimes committed with a gun, so send the yo-yo from the basketball game to prison for two counts of attempted murder and tack on some extra for using a gun. Send the black Friday idiot to jail and take away his right to own a gun ever again.

Edit: I was just reading an opinion article someone posted elsewhere and saw this in the comments: "Why have there been so many mass shootings at schools, and so few at shooting ranges?" I laughed, then I felt bad for laughing.

This comment was edited on Dec 15, 2012, 07:57.

Steam Profile
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 15, 2012, 04:17 jimnms

Cutter wrote on Dec 15, 2012, 02:15:
Yeah, but the flip side is there are places it could end up an insane bloodbath. Look at the theater shooting this summer. Now imagine if everyone is armed and you have a couple of hundred people all whipping out guns and shooting anything that looks like a threat. I dunno. Again, it comes back to people because I'd be more afraid of everyone walking around armed when you consider how many fucking tools are out there.

I don't know what the restrictions are for carry and conceal but I'd like to imagine they're pretty stringent in most places. Maybe it should come down to it's ok for anyone to keep a handgun/shotgun/rifle in the house but it has to be hard as hell to get a carry and conceal permit and very heavy prison sentences for anyone who breaks it. At the very least their should be psych tests for psychopathic tendencies. I'm considering switching careers and joining customs and if you don't pass the psych tests you don't get hired.

The requirement for a permit to conceal carry is different by state. I have a permit to carry in my state, and it consisted of a background check and a 6 month waiting period (and $300).

This article pretty much answers your questions.

TL;DR:
Most of the guns owned by law-abiding citizens are kept at home, but 87 percent of violent crimes occur outside the home. The constantly armed portion of the community consists primarily of the police and violent criminals.
Florida, which in 1987 enacted a concealed-carry law guaranteeing a gun permit to any resident who is at least 21, has no record of crime, mental illness or drug or alcohol abuse, and who has completed a firearms safety course. Florida's homicide rate fell following the enactment of this law, as did the rate in Oregon after the enactment of a similar law.
Ninety percent of violent crimes are committed by persons not carrying handguns. This is one reason why the mere brandishing of a gun by a potential victim of violence often is a sufficient response to a would-be attacker. In most cases where a gun is used in self-defense, it is not fired.
"Florida State University criminologist Gary Kleck, using surveys and other data, has determined that armed citizens defend their lives or property with firearms against criminals approximately 1 million times a year. In 98 percent of these instances, the citizen merely brandishes the weapon or fires a warning shot. Only in 2 percent of the cases do citizens actually shoot their assailants. In defending themselves with their firearms, armed citizens kill 2,000 to 3,000 criminals each year, three times the number killed by the police. A nationwide study by Don Kates, the constitutional lawyer and criminologist, found that only 2 percent of civilian shootings involved an innocent person mistakenly identified as a criminal. The 'error rate' for the police, however, was 11 percent, more than five times as high."

Since only 10% of crimes are committed with handguns, don't think that banning guns would reduce crime by 10% because the article also points out "93 percent of the guns obtained by violent criminals are not obtained through lawful transactions that are the focus of most gun control legislation." Crime would increase because law abiding gun owners wouldn't be able to prevent crime anymore.

Personal gun ownership was banned in the UK in 1997. The use of handguns in crime rose by 40% in the two years after the ban. In 1997 2,648 crimes were reported involving handguns [1]. Last year that number was 5,507 [2].

Steam Profile

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Trailer
12. Re: Elite: Dangerous Trailer Dec 13, 2012, 23:37 jimnms

Jivaro wrote on Dec 13, 2012, 21:32:
You must be new here....let me break it down for you. It doesn't matter if you can use whatever you want to control the game. The fact that they allow people to use a XBOX controller is quite simply offensive to every red blooded member of the master PC gaming race. To hell with personal preferences and customer satisfaction, if people want a gamepad they don't deserve to play a PC game. Hell, they don't deserve a PC.

(yes, that was sarcasm)

I don't care if you play with mouse/KB, keyboard only or a controller. In a game like this I would be using a joystick along with keyboard and mouse, and a controller is basically a handheld joystick. I do care when game designers gimp the game's interface and functionality to support a controller (eg. Borderlands, Borderlands 2, DNF, Skyrim etc.), however they have yet to show off any of the game's interface.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Evochron Mercenary Expands
7. Re: Evochron Mercenary Expands Dec 13, 2012, 17:07 jimnms

Suppa7 wrote on Dec 13, 2012, 15:46:
It's too bad the guy behind evo has no fucking clue how to make a fun space combat game. It's basically flight simulator in space for the retarded half of humanity. More proof that trying to be realistic leads to shitty unfun games. No wonder he did it himself.

I find it funny that you call people who like realism retarded. If you want an arcadey space shooter, go play an arcadey space shooter. Personally I don't find space/flying/driving games fun if the vehicles don't handle in a realistic manner. My brain is hardwired to expect the world to work the way it does, and if I'm playing a game and things are too unrealistic it's distracting and makes games "shitty unfun" for me because my brain is telling me something isn't right.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Evochron Mercenary Expands
3. Re: Evochron Mercenary Expands Dec 13, 2012, 13:28 jimnms

nin wrote on Dec 13, 2012, 13:11:
I should really install this and give it a go. But the one time I tried it (granted, years ago), it had a bit of a curve, and I wasn't sure what I was supposed to be doing...

Anyone know of a beginners guide anywhere?

There are some video tutorials on the main site to give you an idea of how to get started.

The game seems big and overwhelming. I bought it on a Steam sale, either this past summer or last winter. I played the tutorial and explored the starting solar system a bit, but never got farther than that. I guess now is a good time to get back into it.

Also, if you've bought the Steam version, you can right click the game and get the CD key, which can be used on the download version from the official site.

Steam Profile

News Comments > November Steam Hardware & Software Survey
2. Re: November Steam Hardware & Software Survey Dec 13, 2012, 13:15 jimnms

I haven't gotten the Steam survey popup in a while. My system hasn't had any major changes in a couple of years, so that may be why.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Free Duke Nukem 3D Kicks Off GOG.com Sale
30. Re: Free Duke Nukem 3D Kicks Off GOG.com Sale Dec 12, 2012, 20:22 jimnms

The same rules for Steam sales should apply to GoG's sale. Don't buy anything on sale until the last day because it might come up as a daily deal for a better discount.

Speaking of GoG, I have a gift code that includes Blackwell Bundle and Resonance if anyone wants to trade.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
6. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 12, 2012, 08:54 jimnms

Verno wrote on Dec 11, 2012, 10:51:
The Age of Decadence looks pretty cool, don't know how I missed that one.

Never heard of it either, and it's being developed by the same people doing Dead State.

Steam Profile

6. Chivalry: Medieval Warfare Dec 10, 2012, 12:22 jimnms

GMG has Chivalry: Medieval Warfare 50% off, use the 25% code GMG25-CZPYL-D5MQ6 to get it for $9.38, or take a survey to get a single use 35% off coupon and get it for $8.12.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Dec 7, 2012, 23:09 jimnms

You can get Hotline Miami from Amazon for $4.99 and get a $5 credit toward the "Editor's Choice" game downloads in January.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Intel "Committed" to Socketed CPUs for "The Foreseeable Future"
26. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 6, 2012, 23:46 jimnms

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 19:25:
jimnms wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 14:56:
the last time I upgraded the CPU without replacing the MB was when I went from a Pentium II 233MHz to a P3 450MHz

Wasn't the P3 300 mhz celeron, the chipset that really kicked off overcloking? That is where you could buy it for like $300 and overclock it to run like a $1000 chip. Back when 3dfx and 3d kicked off? To me that was when overclocking really paid off, $ wise and performance, you needed every little bit.

Yeah, that was the Celeron 300A which could easily be overclocked to 450MHz with stock cooling. A friend and I both built our systems at the same time with pretty much the same specs, both originally were P2 233's. I later got a "free" upgrade to the P3 450 when the place I worked finally approved a new computer for a server. It was a P3 450, and since I was in charge of setting up the server, I swapped my P2 266 into and took home the P3 450 (it didn't need that much power for what it did). My friend bought the Celeron 300A and overclocked it. The P3 450 was slightly faster, but for the money you couldn't beat the Celeron.

Steam Profile

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Dec 6, 2012, 20:50 jimnms

I still have my original Duke3D CD which included Duke Nukem 1 & 2 on it.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Intel "Committed" to Socketed CPUs for "The Foreseeable Future"
13. Re: Intel Dec 6, 2012, 14:56 jimnms

When I first read about this the other day I was at first worried about the future of the do-it-yourself builders like myself. Then I reflected on my past builds and realized the last time I upgraded the CPU without replacing the MB was when I went from a Pentium II 233MHz to a P3 450MHz (remember those slotted CPU's?). I still build systems with room to upgrade, but by the time an upgrade is needed a new socket is out and you can't find CPU's for the older socket anymore.

I still don't like the idea of soldered CPU's though. Unless Intel is going to stop making chips for OEMs, I don't see how it would be cheaper for Intel to produce them that way. Even if they do move to soldered CPU's I doubt it will kill off the enthusiast builder, but it will make building harder. For example:

When I start planning a new build, I first pick out the CPU, then the MB. If CPU's are soldered to the MB, this will make building harder because now I have to find the specific MB/CPU combo I want. What if I'm building a new system and I decide I like the Intel Core i12 6Ghz because the i11 is but not much cheaper for its slower performance and the i13 is only slightly faster but costs a lot more. Next I start looking at MB's and see that ASUS has a board that has everything I want. Now I go shopping and find that specific CPU/MB combo is popular and sold out in that specific combination everywhere. Now I either have to go with another MB that may not have all of the features I want just to get the CPU I want, or if I really like that ASUS board I will have to get it with a different CPU or wait for until they make more and hope to grab one before it sells out again.

I could also see how MB manufacturers could take advantage of this and run up costs by only produce limited quantities of boards with the low and medium CPU offerings and lots with high end expensive CPU's. The low and medium board which offer the best performance for the money will sell out quickly forcing people who really want to build their own system to fork out more money.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Steam Big Picture Mode Launches
29. Re: Steam Big Picture Mode Launches Dec 4, 2012, 02:21 jimnms

^Drag0n^ wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 21:22:
DDI wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 21:00:
How do I turn off the ugly as fuck giant button on my Steam UI

press the [X] button in the upper right corner.

That doesn't get rid of the button.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Return to Return to Infinite Space
3. Re: Return to Return to Infinite Space Dec 3, 2012, 20:23 jimnms

Flatline wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 14:33:
Basically, it's going to play like a faster version of FTL, with a slightly more tactical combat screen and less crew/system management.

So you're basically saying it's nothing like FTL. From the video it looks like a mix of SPAZ and GSB.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Game Reviews
13. Re: The Walking Dead Nov 30, 2012, 02:00 jimnms

Ok, I'm a little disappointed in this last episode. Each of the previous episodes were right at 3 hours, but this one was only 1.5 hours. I have a feeling that most of the choices you make during this episode won't make any difference. I guess since it was so short, I'll replay this episode and see before starting over.  

Steam Profile

9. The Walking Dead Nov 29, 2012, 15:38 jimnms

I haven't read the review in case it contains spoilers, and I don't really need to since I already have the game. I just finished episode 4 last night, and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. It doesn't have as much point and click type puzzle solving as I thought it would, instead it's pretty much an interactive story where the choices you make effect the game. It's a damn good story so far, and I definitely will make another play to see how it changes things had I made different choices.

I like that you're only given a few seconds to make important decisions. Some times you are barely given enough time to read all of the choices and pick one, and it doesn't help that the text fades out as time is running out making it even harder to read. Twice I've blown a dialog when I couldn't read the options and make my choice in time. Last night it happened again, but I had picked one and my mouse wheel derped out and wouldn't scroll. I did quit and restart from the last checkpoint since it was my mouse's fault, but in the other two instances I forced myself to continue and accept my indecision.

I like how it gives you stats at the end of each chapter showing what percentage of other players made the same or different decisions. I do wonder though how it counts people re-playing and choosing other options.

Steam Profile

7. Re: Game Reviews Nov 29, 2012, 14:49 jimnms

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 14:09:
Verno wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 12:24:
The Half Elf wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 12:15:
I'm sorry I wasted money on Chivalry. While I enjoyed some of the first Warband game I thought this would be at least as decent, but couldn't even get through the tutorials before i turned it off.

Hmm I was thinking about picking it up, what were the main turn offs if you don't mind me asking?

I was also considering this one, as I really do enjoy good melee combat games like PVK2 =).. whats the deal with this one that makes it not-even-finish-the-tutorial worthy?

I'd like to know this as well. I didn't pick it up during the sale because I haven't played any MP games in a while, and with the Steam winter sale coming in a few weeks I decided to hold off. Then the day after the sale I found myself watching some gameplay videos of it and kicking myself for not getting it.

Steam Profile

6. Re: Game Reviews Nov 29, 2012, 14:46 jimnms

MajorD wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 11:45:
Ironically, I just finished Legend of Grimrock last night; what a great game. I purchased this game within a week of its release, and was diligently playing it, and then at some point I went onto other things w/o finishing it. I picked it back up over this last weekend, and was hooked again; I don't know why I stopped playing it in the first place. Regardless, it is a game you can pick back-up and play at anytime.

This was a game completely outside of the type of games I typically play, and I donít know what inspired me to purchase it and play it, but Iím glad I did. Some of the puzzles were Ďveryí challenging, which I really like(d), and I can honestly say that I didnít go online and cheat; I figured them out on my own.

I pre-ordered it and played the crap out of it for the first few days. Then I would get to a place with a challenging puzzle and take a break, then come back and with a clear mind and get through it. Then I would get to another place that stumped me, take another break. I haven't finished it and it's been a while since I stopped. I need to go back and finish it.

I'm kind of OCD and hate moving on until I've found everything. I know there was an iron door or two that I couldn't figure out, and after running around for hours I finally made myself move on. I believe one of the solutions to one of the doors was down a level or two and I had to go back up after finding it.

Holy crap, I just looked at Steam and it says I last played it in April. That has to be a mistake, I could have sworn I played it just a few months ago.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
24. Re: Fast-food Logos Imprinted on Children's Brains Nov 29, 2012, 14:30 jimnms

I downloaded and tried out the developer preview of Win8. There are a lot of improvements that I do like, but when stacked against the things I don't like, it doesn't warrant an upgrade. I could get used to the Metro start screen if I had to, but if MS were smart and made it optional and kept the start menu, I would have upgraded all of my machines.

Atomic wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 13:43:
I'm still on Vista, and want (need) to upgrade. I understand that Windows 8 is not incrementally much of a better upgrade than Windows 7, but considering I can get Windows 8 for $40, should I just make the leap, or pay more for Windows 7?

I could have sworn there was a story posted here about MS allowing Win8 licenses to be "downgraded" to Win7. If that is true, you could grab the cheaper Win8 upgrade, then download the Win7 ISO (they're available directly from MS) and install it instead.

Steam Profile

2153 Comments. 108 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo