Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2176 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > On Sale
7. Re: On Sale Jan 1, 2013, 18:45 jimnms

GMG had the BL2 DLC 50% off last Thursday as a daily deal and it stacked with their 30% off coupon. I picked it up for $10 (I had a 50 cent credit).  

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Sale
32. Re: On Sale Dec 31, 2012, 21:23 jimnms

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 31, 2012, 19:11:
ALMOST ready to pull the trigger on DSC Warthog, but not sure if I'd invest the time to actually learn the aircraft systems, but watching the Giant Bomb video of the guys just trying to start up the aircraft makes me want it

Realistic military flight sims is what really got me into PC gaming. Falcon 4 was the last one I played, and probably still the greatest one ever made. I enjoyed going through the training learning the systems, etc., and the dynamic campaign of F4 is something that's never been beaten.

For some reason I haven't been into hardcore sims lately. I have Black Shark, but only played it enough to learn to start it up and fly around. I didn't get to learning the navigation and weapon systems. With only single missions and a linear/branching campaign, I just didn't stick with it because it felt like once I finished learning the aircraft there wasn't anything left to do. Maybe I don't have the patience I once had or Falcon 4 spoiled me.

I was tempted to get A-10 during the fall sale, but decided not to. Then it came up as the community choice deal the other day, and I decided to go ahead and get it. I had it in my cart ready to check out, then the Steam store page kept timing out (the community pages worked fine though). I stayed up trying for a while, but finally had to go to bed.

I just took it as a sign that maybe it's time to retire from flight sims, but then it came up during the flash deal last night I went ahead and grabbed it.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > On Sale
26. Re: On Sale Dec 31, 2012, 20:56 jimnms

Cutter wrote on Dec 31, 2012, 18:42:
Who's whining? We're just saying the sale hasn't been anything great this year. There are obviously several titles we all expected to see substantial cuts on and haven't yet. That's just stating a fact. Even GMG and Amazon. Sure a few good ones here and there but overall? Meh.

That's the whole point of the turkey story. The employer gave the employees a turkey one year, and the next year the employees expected to get a turkey. Then the next year the employees were complaining because the turkey wasn't as big as last year.

Let's tell the same story except replace employer with Steam, employees with gamers and turkey with sale and see what happens:

Steam gave the gamers a sale one year, and the next year the gamers expected to get a sale. Then the next year the gamers were complaining because the sale wasn't as big as last year.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > On Sale
20. Re: On Sale Dec 31, 2012, 18:22 jimnms

All of the whining I'm seeing (here and elsewhere) about how this year's Steam sales suck reminds me of the Turkey story in this video.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
2. The Most Pirated Films & Shows Of 2012 Dec 30, 2012, 16:44 jimnms

Is it really pirating if you pay for cable or it's a show that airs on an OTA channel and you download it? I use a DVR to record shows to watch later and skip commercials. I've had to go to torrent sites and download TV episodes that I missed because the cable was out or some other problem caused it to not record. I'm usually days or weeks behind on shows, so I don't find out until I get around to watching it.

I have basic cable, which included local stations in digital HD and the rest shitty analog. My cable co. sucks, because for some random reason the local channels will go to shit. The digital channel will either not work at all or it's garbled and skips, and even the analog channel will be fuzzy. I guess they just pick up the local broadcast channels with an antenna and pipe then through the cable, and their antenna is located in a bad spot.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Nvidia Display Driver Service Dec 28, 2012, 17:56 jimnms

What does the Nvidia driver service actually do anyway? I used to disable it and never had any problems. I think starting with the 260 or 280 series drivers the Nvidia control panel no longer works with the service disable, so now I put it in manual mode. It stays off and starts automatically when you run the control panel, and I still don't have any problems in games with it not running. I rarely go into the Nvidia control panel, and if I do I stop the service when I'm done. Any custom settings for a game still get applied with the service stopped.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 28, 2012, 13:33 jimnms

XCOM is $17.50 on GMG today. It's 50% off and stacks with the 30% off coupon (GMG30-DPLIM-DN831).

I'm still on the fence about it though. I still hear it's quite buggy and there haven't been any patches for it. I watched some let's play videos on YouTube back after its release, and it looks repetitive and might get bored with it after a while.

MeanJim on Steam

24. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 28, 2012, 13:26 jimnms

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 28, 2012, 10:08:
Anyone notice that 617MB update for Fallout New Vegas?

Mine showed 9.2GB, but paused itself after 350MB. When I clicked resume, it immediately jumped to finished. A lot of people on the forums said the same thing happened to them.

I compared the "updated" FNV dir to the one on my backup drive, and it looks like it just re-downloaded the DLC files. They were exactly the same, except the time stamp was newer.

MeanJim on Steam

7. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 27, 2012, 13:39 jimnms

You can grab BL2 season pass on GMG for $10.50 today. It's 50% off and stacks with the 30% off coupon. BL2 itself is also 50% off and stacks with the 30% coupon.

Edit: Coupon if you don't know it
GMG30-DPLIM-DN831

MeanJim on Steam

6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 27, 2012, 13:36 jimnms

I'll have to wait a couple of years to pick my 2012 game of the year since I'm still playing games I bought in 2010.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steam Top 10
5. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 23, 2012, 13:00 jimnms

nin wrote on Dec 23, 2012, 12:55:
I would have grabbed scribblenauts, but not for $20. Maybe $10, at most.

Amazon is supposed to have it on sale for 75% off on the 24th-26th.

MeanJim on Steam

42. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2012, 02:11 jimnms

Creston wrote on Dec 22, 2012, 03:06:
jimnms wrote on Dec 21, 2012, 19:20:
I drove to a McDonald's and sat in the parking lot using their free wifi to check Steam.

You're aware that said wifi connection is unsecured, and thus if there's a single guy sniffing that traffic, he is likely to get your steam login information, right?

Don't EVER log in to anything over an unsecured wifi connection. Most of the stuff you log in to over the net is actually unsecured, so anyone sniffing your traffic can you grab your password at will.

The hackers' conference always has a free wifi up for people, and then they post the usernames and passwords of anyone who uses it on a huge screen for all to see. Not to be dicks, but as a warning that using unsecured wifi is a Grade A, 100% security risk.

Didn't mean for this to sound quite like such a lecture, but be very very careful about using free wifi...

Creston

I didn't log in to Steam, I checked the store page in a browser. Even though it's un-secured wifi, Steam uses SSL to log in and for purchases.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steam Holiday Sale
146. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 21, 2012, 20:17 jimnms

Creston wrote on Dec 21, 2012, 16:38:
Btw, snuggle truck is pretty fun. Pure luck to finish something, but it's like a cute version of happy wheels.

It's fun to play it like pewdiepie, and keep going "front flip"

Creston

As I said in one of the other threads, it's really fun on a tablet. I got it from one of the Humble Android Bundles, and it comes with the original version called Smuggle Truck. I guess Steam had a problem with a game about smuggling illegal aliens across the border, so the devs changed them to stuffed animals and called it Snuggle Truck.

MeanJim on Steam

27. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 21, 2012, 19:20 jimnms

I thought the world was over this morning when I woke up and my internet connection was out. I couldn't check Steam's store page, so I grabbed my netbook and left home early. I saw a work truck from the cable co. down the street from my house, so I figured they'd have it back on by the time I got home. I drove to a McDonald's and sat in the parking lot using their free wifi to check Steam. I didn't miss anything and there was over 4 hours until the next set of flash deals rolled over.

When I got home this evening it was still out. I called the cable co. and they said they were aware of the problem and crews were in the area working on it. I ate a snack and watched something that was recorded. I was about to pack up my netbook and head back to McDonalds when a few minutes ago when it finally came back up. It must have been something serious for it to be out so long.

Around this same time (Steam winter sale) the last two years my connection was constantly cutting off and on several times a day. I'm wondering if my ISP is doing this on purpose.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Humble Indie Bundle 7
8. Re: Humble Indie Bundle 7 Dec 20, 2012, 05:19 jimnms

I already have Grimrock, The Binding of Isaac and watched Indie Game the Movie on Netflix streaming. I have Shank from one of their previous bundles, but I haven't played it. I hear it's good, so maybe I'll play it and Shank 2 some time.

I basically picked it up just for Snapshot and Closure. I still paid above the average even though I already have Grimrock, and Dungeon Defenders doesn't really interest me.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Redbox Dec 18, 2012, 00:51 jimnms

What's to stop someone from renting something, photocopying it, then calling to claim they got the photocopy instead? Then Redbox accuses the person before the actual fraudster of fraud.  

MeanJim on Steam

17. Borderlands 2 Dec 17, 2012, 18:14 jimnms

Shift code for 5 (FIVE) keys in BL2: WT5TB-XC5ZC-CX3T3-BBT3B-B35WB  

MeanJim on Steam

2176 Comments. 109 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo