Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2065 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 17, 2012, 23:34 jimnms

sliv wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 18:52:
Oh Ricky, you're so clever! Yeah, cause, it's a fact that all religious people want to shoot children and, like, support other religions who shoot children.

I originally thought that Twitter was useless, but apparently it has this unique ability for people to show just how dumb they really are.
Arkansas Legislative Candidate, Endorses Death Penalty For Rebellious Children

Steam Profile
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
8. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 17, 2012, 18:25 jimnms

SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 11:18:
It is good to see Kaspersky still on top. It goes on sale quiet often in the local BestBuy for $20 for the 3 computer license, so it is cheap to keep the PCs protected.

I see regular sales of Kaspersky that's free after MIR. I'll stick with MSE though. I've managed to stay virus free for as long as I've been using computers, mainly using common sense. My sister on the other hand managed to get infected with viruses no matter what I put on her computer. After I cleaned the last infection from her system I put MSE on it and she hasn't had a virus since.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Project Eternity Kickstarter Concludes
18. Re: Project Eternity Kickstarter Concludes Oct 17, 2012, 18:14 jimnms

Tumbler wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 11:25:
So many stretch goals, man I wish this was a game I wanted to play more, I kept looking for something I wanted to spend more money on but couldn't move myself past the $20 mark.

I hope these guys come back for a scifi ip of some type. I'm very interested to see what they make, perhaps it will be something even I can enjoy!

I initially went in for $20, but upped it to the $65 because I want the box and printed manual. I really wanted to get the cloth map, but couldn't justify to myself to spend another $75 for the $140 collectors edition tier. I did chip in another $20 with 2 minutes to go to get in on the expansion. I wish they'd have put the cloth map as an addon.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Project Eternity Kickstarter Homestretch Plans
10. Re: Project Eternity Kickstarter Homestretch Plans Oct 13, 2012, 04:22 jimnms

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 12, 2012, 23:00:
Anyhow, I upped my pledge last night from the $20 early bird to a $65 boxed copy in hopes that we reach that $3.5 mil figure. $3 mil is locked in, for sure, though, so even if they don't beat Double Fine, it's still gonna be awesome. I really would like them to make cloth maps available as add-ons, though... Wasteland 2 included a cloth map with the $50 box, doesn't seem fair for Obsidian to only include it with the $140 collector's edition.

If I up my pledge, I'll probably do the $35 one for the sound track and digital book. If they offered the cloth map with the $65 boxed version I'd have jumped on that already.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Project Eternity Kickstarter Homestretch Plans
2. Re: Project Eternity Kickstarter Homestretch Plans Oct 12, 2012, 21:46 jimnms

I finally decided to go ahead and get in this one. I had the page open reading the different pledge rewards, refreshed the page and a $20 spot opened up so I jumped on it. I might up my pledge before it's over though.

Jerykk wrote on Oct 12, 2012, 20:54:
It's looking like this will definitely beat Wasteland 2. It may even beat DFA.
You can still donate to Wasteland 2 on their store page if you missed out. Brian Fargo tweeted the other day that they had another $1000 backer through the store, so there's no telling what their total is counting post kickstarter funds. Also, for kickstarter backers, you can bump up your pledges at their Backer Store.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Captain Scarlett DLC Next Week
57. Re: Borderlands 2 Captain Scarlett DLC Next Week Oct 11, 2012, 19:40 jimnms

I've kind of petered out on BL2. I'm kind of wishing I'd waited and bought it when it was finished (all DLC released). I was having a blast with it, but something about it got me in the mood for some Fallout New Vegas. I had been trying out mods off and on for the past couple of months and pretty much had everything picked out, installed and ready to go, I just needed a push to get started.

Right now I'm just using mostly texture and appearance improving mods, bug fixes and some minor game tweaks to make the experience a little harder and immersive without changing much of the core game. After this play I want to start a new game with the jsawyer mod and nothing else except texture/appearance mods.

Maybe when I'm done with that, they'll be finished with all of the BL2 DLC and I'll come back to it.

Steam Profile

News Comments > No Adult Games on Windows 8 Marketplace
5. Re: No Adult Games on Windows 8 Marketplace Oct 11, 2012, 10:56 jimnms

InBlack wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 10:35:
IBM compatible PC
Your age is showing.

Steam Profile

News Comments > New NVIDIA Drivers
2. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Oct 10, 2012, 22:14 jimnms

The previous drivers were 175MB, that's kind of a big jump. I bet it has to do with Win8 support.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Worms Revolution
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Worms Revolution Oct 10, 2012, 22:10 jimnms

I played it for about an hour this morning and I couldn't figure out how to create different profiles or teams for local play either. In Worms Reloaded you could create separate profiles each with several custom teams. My niece likes to play Worms, and with Reloaded she had her own profile so her teams were separate from mine.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews
19. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 13:42 jimnms

I never played the original XCOM. I don't know why, maybe because when it came out in 1994 I was in high school at the time and didn't have a machine that could run it. I do likes me some turn based strategy/RPG though.

Hearing all the hype about how great the original was and how awesome this one is going to be, I was tempted to get it until I played the demo. Didn't you control larger squads in the original XCOM? In the demo you only have 4 people, and every game play video I've seen it's 4 people or 4 people + 1 robot. Is that it or do you get larger squads later in the game? I know there is more to the game than the combat, but there wasn't any of that in the demo and they haven't shown any of that in the videos (at least the ones I've seen, and I haven't read these reviews yet).

I've been trying to get a new Fallout New Vegas game going since I bought the DLC last year, but I keep getting distracted by new games. Borderlands just came out and I'm still deep into it. Dishonored is coming out, and it looks damn good too. Right now I'm thinking fuck it, I'll finish what's on my plate and get one or both of these later when their price comes down.

Steam Profile

News Comments > On Sale
11. Re: On Sale Oct 6, 2012, 23:02 jimnms

LittleMe wrote on Oct 6, 2012, 12:36:
jimnms wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 23:52:
I bought Borderlands 2 from them and they didn't email me my Steam key until several days after it had released.

Whoa that sucks. That didn't happen with me though. I got my key on September 14th, the day I pre-ordered, four days before launch.

I was checking my account every day for the key. They posted it to my account page days before release so I was able to activate and pre-load it.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Oct 5, 2012, 23:58 jimnms

PHJF wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 22:17:
Right click game in Library
Properties
Updates
Do Not Automatically Update This Game

Couldn't tell you if it works, but there it is...

Unfortunately that only stops it from automatically checking for updates and downloading them. If you go to play a game, it will check for and download any updates even with that setting.

I really wish they would fix this. How fucking hard would it be to give you a prompt telling you that an update is available and ask if you want to download it?

Steam Profile

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Oct 5, 2012, 23:52 jimnms

Jerykk wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 22:53:
I wish GMG would send out keys earlier. That said, I can't really complain when I'm saving $15-30 per game.

You have to check your account. They usually post them there before they email it to you. I bought Borderlands 2 from them and they didn't email me my Steam key until several days after it had released.

Steam Profile

23. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 3, 2012, 21:47 jimnms

PHJF wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 17:44:
I've yet to meet a wifi router that didn't die like clockwork after 1-2 years. I had the famous WRT whatever from Linksys and the wifi conked out in under a year.
My two Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 routers are still going after 7 years and 3 months. I'm running Tomato on them. If I were to get a new one, I would go with another Buffalo router. The new ones come with a custom version of DD-WRT Professional. The two I mentioned in my previous post that I bought and sent back where Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH routers. I considered keeping one as a router/AP. That thing had a lot of built in features it could be sold as an enterprise router. It has all kind of stuff that you can enable like a built in RADIUS server.

Steam Profile

13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 3, 2012, 15:34 jimnms

sauron wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 11:02:
I tried a dual-band router to extend coverage in my apartment, but the problem turned out to be a load-bearing wall in the way of the signal. The place is L-shaped and the router is in one end of it.

A repeater seems to have fixed the problem, bouncing the signal around the corner of the L, but the repeater I have (Netgear) isn't that great. Anyone know if Cisco makes a better one?

Have you tried powerline networking HomePlug AV as it's generally called? For a long time I was using two wireless G routers with Tomato firmware to create a bridge between my bedroom and the living room. It worked fine when the PC in there was only recording SDTV, but after getting a few HD channels and upgrading my HTPC with a digital HD card, I could not stream the HD shows to the PC in my room. I tried a Wireless N setup, but was disappointed in its performance. There are also a lot more Wireless networks in the neighborhood which probably had a lot to do with it.

I ended up getting a cheap 200Mbps HomePlug/router combo deal on sale. It was only $35, so I figured it was worth the shot. It blew away the Wireless N gear despite being an 80 year old house with original wiring. I sent the Wireless N stuff back, but kept my old wireless G stuff. I use one for a router and the other as a dedicated AP. I disabled the router part of the HomePlug kit, and it acted as a 4-port switch in the living room. The HomePlug part of the router kept dying every 5-6 months, but they kept replacing it for the two years it was under warranty.

I now have a 500Mbps Netgear HomePlug deal which has been going strong for over a year. I don't know what the actual performance of it is because both of my router's switches are 100Mbit and it's maxing that link out. It's a hell of a lot easier to setup too, it really is just plug and play. Out of the box they're unencrypted, sort of like an open wirless network. They'll connect to any other HomePlug device without encryption automatically. Generally you won't have to worry about anyone getting access to it, but in some cases the signal can travel to adjacent apartments (and sometimes homes even neighboring houses). Setting encryption on them is easy. Plug them both in, press a button on one, then within 30 seconds press the button on any other HomePlug adapters and they will set up a private network with a random encryption key. You can use the included software to set your own if you don't trust the automatic deal.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Steam Top 10
49. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 1, 2012, 16:19 jimnms

Creston wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 12:02:
It'd make sense if the system worked this way, but I've been getting the same loot for like the last 7 or 8 levels now, and I've done several major story missions in the meantime. The price to roll slots has been stuck at $369 for all that time.

Does it get higher if you move on in the story? (I'm about to head to Opportunity to find Jack's body-double.)

Creston

I think the price of the slot machine is a percentage of the money you started that game session with. It was in the $300 range once when I started the game session with $30k, then when I played a few slots at the end of that session it was still the same price even though I now had over $50k. The next day I didn't play the slots when I started. I hit the slots when I was back turning in quests before quitting for the night and the slot price was in the $500 range although I had $80k in cash.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
8. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Sep 30, 2012, 12:49 jimnms

jdreyer wrote on Sep 29, 2012, 16:46:
Dude, seriously? IE9 is two years old. Those versions of FF and Chr are only a few months old.

IE9 might be two years old, but it gets regular updates. Chrome (and now Firefox) change version numbers with every update. Would it be fair to compare the newest versions of Chrome and Firefox to an IE9 that hasn't been updated in months?

Steam Profile

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
1. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Sep 29, 2012, 14:43 jimnms

NSS subjected Apple Safari 5, Google Chrome 15-19, Microsoft Internet Explorer 9 and Mozilla Firefox 7-13

So they tested the newest version of IE and compared it to old versions of Firefox and Chrome?

Steam Profile

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale Sep 28, 2012, 23:15 jimnms

ASeven wrote on Sep 28, 2012, 21:57:
Everyone who bought the humble indie bundle 2 has this game. Ask for your keys and youll get the steam key for cortex command.

I saw it on the main Steam page this morning and remembered it was in Alpha from one of the bundles. If you look on your Humble Bundle #2 page it will have a Steam key for it there, and the DRM free download has already been updated to 1.0.

I thought it looked cool from when I first saw it on the Humble Bundle, but I never played the alpha. I figured I'd wait till it released, and after all this time I just figured they'd given up on it. I'm glad they finished it, and I can't wait to try it out.

Steam Profile

22. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2012, 23:11 jimnms

Ratty wrote on Sep 28, 2012, 14:39:
Yeah, so everyone's going to hate me now but I loved Voyager and couldn't ever get into Deep Space 9. Voyager wasn't perfect (they really castrated the Borg and introduced then ruined Species 8472) but I still loved watching it.

I remember watching a few episodes of it when it first came on and didn't like it. This was before DVRs and I didn't schedule my life around TV shows either. Later on one channel was running it in order. They would show like 4 episodes on Mondays, and I would record them and watch during the week. I actually enjoyed it. Maybe it had been too long since I had a Star Trek fix.

I also didn't like DS9 when it first came on, but after I finished Voyager I needed more Star Trek. Another channel had been running it in order, but I came in mid series. I started recording it anyway and watched it through to the end. They restarted from the beginning, but then just ended before I got back to where I came in.

Not wanting to suffer withdrawal, I noticed 4 or 5 different channels were all airing STTNG. None of them seemed to be showing it in order, they were all just random episodes. I set my DVR to record every instance. I did watch STTNG when it was new, but like I said I didn't organize my life around TV shows. At first I was just looking at the episode descriptions and watching ones that didn't sound familiar. Then after a several weeks, between all the different channels it began to fill in the gaps and I had the entire first two seasons in order, so I just started from the beginning and watched through to the end. There were only a hand full of episodes that I had not seen or just didn't remember. I had just finished watching the entire series when they announced that they were going to release it on Blu-ray.

I also wasn't able to watch Enterprise when it was new because our cable co. didn't carry the channel it was on. I did manage to watch it years later when the SciFi channel began to show it. I didn't notice and start watching until the middle of season two. I just happened to be browsing the channel guide when I saw it, and saw it. The episode I started on I missed the first half of it. When they got to the end, they restarted from the beginning and I watched it up to that episode, and would you fucking believe that when it got back to the episode I started on, the cable cut for the first half of that episode. I don't know the name of the episode, but I think I remember enough detail about it that I could find if if I looked up episode guides.

Steam Profile

2065 Comments. 104 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo