Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2433 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Dishonored Game Announcement Accidentally Spoiled
7. Re: Dishonored Game Announcement Accidentally Spoiled Jun 14, 2015, 14:53 jimnms

I still have yet to play the first one. It keeps getting pushed down my ever growing backlog list. It was up next, but with the hype out about FO4, I'm itching for another FNV play, maybe FO3+FNV with TTW? I gotta finish Wasteland 2 first, one RPG at a time for me. I first have to tear myself away from KSP though.  

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 10, 2015, 12:58 jimnms

I don't own any Apple products. I have family that are always wanting me to fix or do stuff to their iCrap. I still refuse to install iTunes, but I also don't want to listen to them nag me about fixing their shit either. My solution was to install Windows in VirtualBox with iTunes isolated in there.  

MeanJim on Steam

32. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 9, 2015, 11:31 jimnms

Julio wrote on Jun 9, 2015, 05:32:
I see why you so strongly are pro-dog shit then.

I'm not pro anything, I'm anti animal cruelty and anti ass hole.

It's an animal, if I don't own it I care as much for it as a random cow or pig - which a lot of people eat for dinner. And before you extrapolate it to me eating dogs, no I don't think I'd want to eat one.

So if it's not yours, you don't care about it? What a sad outlook on life you have.

No mail itself was interfered with, the box was empty before and too full afterwards for anything but a note telling them that I was returning what they left on my property to them.

It doesn't matter if there was mail in it or not. Tampering with a mailbox is still a crime that carries a 3 year jail sentence and $250,000 fine.

What it says about me as a person was that I treated their property exactly how they treated mine.

And I suppose in your twisted mind you see that as a good thing?

MeanJim on Steam

30. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 8, 2015, 21:12 jimnms

Julio wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 18:10:
jimnms wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 10:05:
Why do you shovel it before cutting it? Just mow over it and you'll never know it was there.

Because picking shit out of the treads of your shoes isn't fun.

If you run over it with a mower, there won't be pieces large enough to get in the treads of your shoes. I didn't always pay someone to cut my lawn, I used to do it myself. The shit in my yard is mostly my dog's shit and I never shoveled shit before mowing.

It's not my pet. If it gets injured trespassing on my property, that's the owners fault.

It is your fault if you intentionally injured it. That's the problem with the world today. Half of the population doesn't want to take responsibility for their actions and the other half doesn't care about anything unless it affects them. You don't care if someone else's dog gets hurt, but you would if it were your dog.

I can't say that I've ever done what the chocolate chip guy did - but I understand where he's coming from and how he ended up there.

I did fill someone's mailbox with their own dog's shit that was left on my lawn - because I knew exactly who it was. And they learned not to do it again as a result.

You don't like getting dog shit on your shoes, but you'll pick it up and put it in someone's mailbox just to get revenge? What does that say about you as a person? Are you one of those "get off my lawn" types that has to get someone back that you feel has wronged you in some way? This is how neighborhood feuds start which usually end up with the law involved. You're lucky your neighbor didn't have you in jail for messing with a mail box.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steam Top 10
37. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 8, 2015, 20:22 jimnms

Dacron wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 14:19:
Uh, the product still cost something to make. Digital or not. It's very easy to make a loss.

The games are 5 and 7 years old. They've more than recouped their initial development costs. There's no way they can lose money on it now. Just about every time they go on sale they end up in the top 10. I think a lot of people might pass on it at $12 knowing it has regularly been discounted to $5 in the past. They have to decide if it's worth selling less copies at a higher cost or selling more at a lower cost. Even if the net profit turns out to be equal, for example selling 1000 copies at $12 or 2400 copies at $5, it would be better to sell 2400 copies vs. 1000 because you now have 1400 more people that are exposed to your product and might buy your games in the future.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > etc.
10. Re: etc. Jun 8, 2015, 20:05 jimnms

Task wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 13:29:
What they could try doing for one of these FPS fallouts is do a combination. Have a first person perspective and even combat possible like that, but also have tactical pause or turn-based option where it switches to an overhead view so you can queue up attacks and order any followers into appropriate positions, etc. That way one could have a choice to play in real-time, or go with a slower tactical way of approaching a combat situation. I'm not ware of an FPS that has something innovative to switch to something like that.

That would be neat to be able to pause and give orders to your generally useless companions. The combat in the original Fallout games was pretty weak.

I always though it would be neat to see them do larger locations and use a travel map like the first two games. Imagine the city of New Vegas being the size of the entire Mojave wasteland for example, and when you leave it, you're presented with the over-world travel map like the original games. Click a location and you travel like the old games with random encounter chances along the way. They could have other cities and larger settlements instead of just a few houses representing a town or settlement.

Task wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 13:29:
Actually that's what inXile is sort of doing for Bard's Tale 4, but the tactical part isn't an option as far as I'm aware. So you explore in 'corridor' type paths or examining things in first person, but when combat occurs they intend to switch you to a tactical view.

The game that got me into PC games and RPGs was Pool of Radiance. While in cities and dungeons, you had a small window where you explored in first person view, but battles took place from a 2D isometric/isometric view.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Jun 8, 2015, 11:33 jimnms

I wonder if they could get enough money from a Kickstarter to buy Fallout from Bethesda. I like isometric, turn based RPGs and I loved the first two Fallout games, but I think Fallout works as an FPS RPG. I remember playing Fallout for the first time, and the opening video at the beginning that shows you leaving the vault in first person, I thought that it would be cool to experience the whole world from first person. Although IMO Fallout 3 is the weakest of the series, my fondest memories of any game is leaving the vault for the first time in Fallout 3.  

MeanJim on Steam

34. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 8, 2015, 10:31 jimnms

Redmask wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 07:18:
I still don't get why this is a big deal. Of course they put the price up a bit, they want to make more money. Is that $7 for a 4 year old game going to bankrupt anyone? Is $12 not a good deal for all of the content involved? Historical lows for a product are just that, it doesn't mean that the price will stay there or go lower just because you want it to. There are so many bad practices in the industry it seems really strange to care about something so minor and innocuous.

It's not a big deal, and I don't care because I already own them. I'm not the one making a fuss over it. FFS, all I said was I'm surprised to see people buying it, especially with the Summer sale so close, it might be cheaper if people just wait.

MeanJim on Steam

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 8, 2015, 10:05 jimnms

Redmask wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 07:12:
How noble of you when its not your yard covered in shit. Like them or hate them, lawns affect exterior appearance which greatly influences property values. As he also points out in the video they can't water their lawns so the 'fertilizer' is of limited value, they tend to just hang around or become dessicated in that heat. More importantly its his property, not theirs or yours. It's not unreasonable to ask people to respect his property and city bylaws by picking up after their pets. I think his method here is very cruel and disgusting but there are two sides to every story. Maybe this guy was at his breaking point, it looks like he already tried signs and calling the authorities. People ignored him. Well they can't ignore him now.

Dogs come in my yard all the time, it doesn't bother me. Like them or hate them, dogs are people's family or some kids best friend. Poisoning and killing them because they shit in your yard is cruel inhumane. I also don't understand why people have to water their lawn all the time, it's a waste of money and water when rain is free. I understand that it's his property, but that doesn't give him the right to kill someone's dog if it comes on it. There are irresponsible dog owners and there are are irresponsible parents, but it wouldn't be acceptable if he poisoned a kid for coming in his yard.

Julio wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 06:43:
Too bad you don't live next to the chocolate chip guy, you could have a sign saying please have your dogs shit on my lawn, no need to pick it up. The kid who cuts your lawn wouldn't love piles of shit everywhere.

Personally I don't like shoveling shit out of the lawn when I cut it. Not much worse than stepping in a fresh turd from a huge dog.

Why do you shovel it before cutting it? Just mow over it and you'll never know it was there. I'd say having someone poison and murder your pet would be worse than a little shit on your shoes. You can wipe the shit off, you can't bring back a dead pet.

WTF is wrong with you people that put a higher value on a non-sentient weed (grass) over a living, breathing dog?

MeanJim on Steam

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 8, 2015, 03:05 jimnms

I don't understand people who are so goddamn anal about their yards. It's free fertilizer, and it's good for your lawn. I don't give a shit about my lawn. I pay a neighborhood kid to cut it every few weeks and I don't obsess over it. I had a neighbor a few years ago that spent hours every day tending to his lawn. He chewed me out once because he was upset that my grass looked nicer after he puts so much time and effort into his lawn and I don't do shit. Thankfully that old fart moved years ago.

Putting something out that will attract and kill dogs because they're messing up your precious lawn is fucking stupid. It's no different than people who used to put out antifreeze. Antifreeze used to have a smell that would attract animals to it and they would drink it, so assholes used it to poison them. I believe antifreeze now has stuff in it that deters animals from drinking it. There are animal cruelty laws where I live that have serious penalties for doing shit like that. Hopefully there are similar laws where this asshole lives and he goes to jail or has to pay heavy fines.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
5. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jun 8, 2015, 01:28 jimnms

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 7, 2015, 19:10:
Wtf? Why would people put email addresses on BANK account info that doesn't belong to them? I mean not like banks ever send you anything relevant that way except maybe statements, but what about Paypal or stores, what about job info or sensitive online store info?

It was their actual bank account, they just put my email address as the login/contact giving me access to their personal information. They're lucky that I'm (usually) a nice person.

Do they think that just because they have a name that they have this gmail address? How the fuck would they even access their mail account? I assume you have tons of "access warnings" and password reset attempts?

I've given up on trying to figure out what dumb people think. I did discover that one of these people has the address myfirstnamemylastname99@gmail, but he forgets to put the 99 on the end. I have actually never gotten a password reset attempt on my account either.

stupidity of humanity does not surprise me, but sometimes.. you really gotta ask yourself.. what the actual fuck is wrong with people? Man this makes me so glad that only 1 other person in the world uses my nick... I seriously couldn't stand such bullshit for very long, and I'd probably do nefarious things to make them stop pretty damn quickly.

What's even dumber were some of the responses I get when I try to tell people they're emailing the wrong person. Those last three I mentioned, the elementary school, church and some neighborhood thing, actually gave out personal information after I replied telling them they had the wrong email address. I politely replied to each one saying that someone had given them my email address by mistake and asked to be removed from future mailings, and said they should contact the person that gave them this address to get the correct address. I did get a bit harsh with those because it wasn't getting through.

The school replied something like: "Your daughter isn't Girlname Mylastname in Mr. Teachername's 3rd grade class?" Yousaidwhat The neighborhood email list person replied similarly asking: "Are you not Mr. Mylastname at 123 Somestreet?" I replied "no, I just told you I'm not, but thank you for the address so I can personally contact Mr. Mylastname and ask him to stop giving out my email address, and I will also let him know that you gave me, a complete stranger, his address."

MeanJim on Steam

30. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 8, 2015, 00:30 jimnms

Scud wrote on Jun 7, 2015, 17:14:
jimnms wrote on Jun 7, 2015, 12:48:
I'm also surprised to see Fallout 3 and New Vegas there. Those sales are pretty sucky compared to past sales. Both FO3 GotY and FNV UE were $5 several times before and people are now buying them for $12. They'll probably be $5 during the summer sale, unless Bethesda gets greedy and decides not to discount them anymore with Fallout 4 around the corner.
I picked up FO3 GotY for 12 bucks and honestly don't feel cheated in the least, even if it was on sale for 5 dollars at one point. I do find it funny when someone who declares they won't pay more than 5 dollars for anything and then proceeds to accuses Bethesda of being greedy.

I find it sad when people read things that aren't there. Where did I "declare" that I wouldn't pay more than $5 for anything? I paid full price at release for Fallout 3, I bought the GotY edition for full price when it was released and I pre-ordered the Fallout New Vegas Collectors Edition. I bought Fallout 3 GotY again a few Steam sales ago after discovering my disk had a small crack.

Maybe greedy was the wrong term, I should have said maybe Bethesda are going to be dicks and decide not to discount the old Fallout games as low now that the hype is out about Fallout 4. It wouldn't surprise me after seeing their recent behavior regarding DLC pricing. They did it with Skyrim and Dishonored. The DLC for those two games had discounts up to 75% off until the last DLC released and then they've only discount them 50% off since then.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
3. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jun 7, 2015, 17:38 jimnms

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 7, 2015, 15:58:
No, it seems he literally has "[nickname]@gmail.com," which for some reason is something people put down on forms when they don't care or don't understand what they're doing? I don't get it, like why would you write it with brackets, but apparently it was a problem for him. I'd just use the coupons and stop complaining.

Gmail probably treats brackets like they do periods and ignores them, so the address people are typing in on BestBuy is nickname@gmail without brackets and it still goes through.

I'm not really surprised that idiots order stuff from Best Buy and put the wrong email address in. I have a gmail address that is myfirstname.mylastname@gmail (my real name though), and there are at least a dozen people that seem to think that this is their address too. I've had people put my email address on lots of things including resumes and bank accounts. I have their real addresses and phone numbers. I've been tempted to call or write them and tell them to quit.

One time a person ordered something, and when I got the email receipt, I was able to cancel their order. When they create accounts with my email address and I get sent the login credentials, I go in and change the name to Imad U. Mass or something. I change the email to a disposable address from 10minutemail.com so that neither they nor I can get into the account.

A few times I've been put on personal email lists. The worst ones were a mailing list for an elementary school, a church and some kind of neighborhood thing. I had a hell of a time getting taken off those lists. I almost resorted to just pretending to be the person that put me on the list and sending things to the mailing list that would embarrass them.

MeanJim on Steam

2. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 7, 2015, 12:48 jimnms

I'm also surprised to see Fallout 3 and New Vegas there. Those sales are pretty sucky compared to past sales. Both FO3 GotY and FNV UE were $5 several times before and people are now buying them for $12. They'll probably be $5 during the summer sale, unless Bethesda gets greedy and decides not to discount them anymore with Fallout 4 around the corner.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > GOG.com Summer Sale Begins
27. Re: GOG.com Summer Sale Begins Jun 4, 2015, 15:20 jimnms

Kajetan wrote on Jun 3, 2015, 12:37:
jimnms wrote on Jun 3, 2015, 12:34:
Arcanum doesn't work in the Galaxy client anyway.
It doesn't? *looking at my active Arcanum entry*
It does work for me ...

Can you play it? It launches but once the actual game begins it just gives you a black screen in the game window. The UI still works. I compared the files installed by the Galaxy client to the stand alone installer, and the one installed by the Galaxy client replaces the original Arcanum.exe, which also means installing the high-res patch and unofficial patches don't work because they look for the original game's .exe, which it can't find.

I haven't tried it recently to see if they fixed it, but the bug reports in the bug tracker still show it as open:

http://mantis.gog.com/view.php?id=2118
http://mantis.gog.com/view.php?id=2620

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Fallout 4 Trailer
88. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jun 4, 2015, 00:03 jimnms

Well this is disturbing. I saw this from another forum:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/28v2dn/i_played_fallout_4/

It's a reddit post from 11 months ago from a person claiming to be a former Bethsoft employee that worked on Fallout 4. The timeline and information posted very closely matches what has happened and what we see in the trailer. If this is true, you don't get to design your own character. You will play a male character and your character narrates the story. Fuck Bethesda if they do this to Fallout. I really hope this is not true. I will fucking mini nuke their HQ if they do this.

MeanJim on Steam

59. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jun 3, 2015, 15:34 jimnms

verybad1 wrote on Jun 3, 2015, 14:30:
Fallout isn't about graphics. Never has been. If you're crying about them, then it's probably not the game for you. In the past the story has been excellent. Hopefully that will be the same.

I'll be very happy if this is well written, but have you played a Bethesda RPG recently? I wouldn't call Skyrim or even Fallout 3 well written.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Fallout Countdown
37. Re: Fallout Countdown Jun 3, 2015, 15:20 jimnms

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 3, 2015, 06:07:
Grokk wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 23:18:
I'd love for this to be out for the xmas season this year. Should fit in nicely with the other games and things I need to play first.

More likely though, we're looking at a perhaps xmas 2016 at the earliest. That would give them 18months to release. More likely Q1-2 2017 at best.

I don't think they would tease and announce it now if it were still that far out. Holiday season this year is a good bet. Probably some November date as usual with Bethesda.

I'm betting October 23rd release date for the anniversary of of The Great War. Fallout 3 and NV had late October release dates. Also didn't Fallout New Vegas get announced and trailers released the same year it came out?

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > GOG.com Summer Sale Begins
14. Re: GOG.com Summer Sale Begins Jun 3, 2015, 12:34 jimnms

Kajetan wrote on Jun 3, 2015, 11:21:
nin wrote on Jun 3, 2015, 10:52:
Damn! Is that a time one? Might have to snag that...
Channeling Shia Labeouf: DO IT!! JUST DO IT!!!!

But for the love of god, do not use the Galaxy client to purchase anything. The last update broke everything related to the checkout process, right on time for the summer sale ...

Arcanum doesn't work in the Galaxy client anyway.

MeanJim on Steam

30. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jun 3, 2015, 12:21 jimnms

After watching the trailer I get the feeling that they didn't learn a thing about Fallout or writing from Obsidian. It looks like it will be another linear story with no options like Fallout 3, where you play as a member of or help the BOS. What is Bethesda's obsession with the BOS? They aren't the good guys, quit trying to make them out to be good guys. It's almost as if the only Fallout game they ever played was Fallout Tactics, and the BOS were still kind of dicks in that one too.  

MeanJim on Steam

2433 Comments. 122 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo