Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2366 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Ship Ahoy - PC Grand Theft Auto V
23. Re: Ship Ahoy - PC Grand Theft Auto V Apr 14, 2015, 12:31 jimnms

I can't even start the game. I don't have special characters in my name, and I've tried all the "fixes" except the one where you download a different launcher from some shady Chinese Google drive knockoff site. I bought it from GMG and they won't give refunds after they send you the key. People with non Steam versions and Steam versions are having the same error.  

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V PC Launch Schedule
185. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Launch Schedule Apr 14, 2015, 01:30 jimnms

Dacron wrote on Apr 13, 2015, 19:42:
Damn, old drivers, new drivers, the Rockstar GTA V client has unexpectedly exited. Try safe mode for reduced graphics (doesnt work either) or look for a solution online.

i7 3770, 16mb ram, 660ti 2gb.

You need to upgrade your RAM.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V PC Launch Schedule
112. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Launch Schedule Apr 13, 2015, 19:13 jimnms

Right at 6pm local time it started updating!!! And then I get Grand Theft Auto V Launcher has stopped working. Trying to launch it again just causes the launcher to crash. FUCK YOU ROCKSTAR!  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Steam Preloads
30. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Steam Preloads Apr 9, 2015, 19:05 jimnms

StaticRandomNumber wrote on Apr 9, 2015, 16:16:
I am waiting for post launch where bonus is removed.

If you get all that in-game cash upfront you can go straight from BB gun to mini-gun (I imagine) or Beetle to Porsche, where is the fun in that.

I could always restrain myself, but noticed it with Fallout New Vegas as well where I bought the bundle with all the DLC and on first playthrough, I started out with a grenade launcher and could take on the legion right from the get go.

Maybe just me, but I like the feel of getting that slightly better equipment in increments.

I never activated the pre-order bonus for FNV. For the GOTY or complete, you could just deactivate the DLC that adds those pre-order starting items. By the time I played it again with all the DLC, I used a mod that distributed them to vendors and level lists so you had a rare chance to find NPC's using them instead of you starting with all of it. It did the same for GRA and DLC weapons.

For GTA V SP, Starting with money doesn't seem cheating. Aren't two of the characters ex-bank robbers and one lives in a mansion, so why would you start out with no money.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Steam Preloads
29. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Steam Preloads Apr 9, 2015, 18:57 jimnms

I preloaded overnight from Rockstar (not Steam version). It took right about 8 hours. I just realized the 14th is a Tuesday. Why must games release/unlock on the one day of the week I have to commute 100 miles!  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V 4K System Requirements
30. Re: Grand Theft Auto V 4K System Requirements Apr 9, 2015, 18:47 jimnms

With the recommended specs you can run 1080p @ 60fps with graphics at what settings (low, medium, high, ultra)? I've been thinking of building a new system since November. I have a core i5 750 (2.66GHz), a 660OC and 12GB RAM. If I overclock my CPU to 4GHz and am able to run this on max settings then I don't need to build a new system.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > GTA5 PC Graphics Options Detailed; Game May Span 7 Discs
71. Re: GTA5 PC Graphics Options Detailed; Game May Span 7 Discs Apr 9, 2015, 17:13 jimnms

descender wrote on Apr 9, 2015, 14:24:
refusing to give discounts on things when everyone else is, is getting really annoying

/boggle

Those other services basically HAVE to give launch day discounts or else no one would ever buy games from them. Expecting launch day discounts is just being greedy, and blaming Steam for not having them is just childish. Especially considering the ridiculously deep discounts Steam offers on a regular basis.

Doesn't Steam let publishers controls the prices of their games? There have been pre-order discounts and week-long release discounts (usually 10%) for other games. I would be willing to bet that Rockstar wouldn't discount the Steam version so more people would buy the Rockstar codes from other places since they'll get a bigger chunk, even if it's discounted.

Now that my preload finished verifying, unless the launcher changes when the game unlocks, I don't see any kind of backup and restore or way to verify it like Steam's built in verify game cache and backup utility. I'll have to make a backup of it after it unlocks so I can restore it to an "out of the box" state if I install mods or a file gets corrupted. It would suck to have to spend 8 hours re-downloading 60GB because one little file got corrupt. I'm starting to think it might have been worth it to spend the extra money to get it on Steam. It's probably too late now.

MeanJim on Steam

65. Re: GTA5 PC Graphics Options Detailed; Game May Span 7 Discs Apr 9, 2015, 13:05 jimnms

SpectralMeat wrote on Apr 9, 2015, 08:58:
I know what you mean about having all the games in one place, however about patching I believe GTA5 will be using the Rockstar client to do all that stuff and not Steam.

I read an article a while back that said patching would be done with the Rockstar client even for Steam version, but it won't. When I started preloading last night from the Rockstar launcher, I had to log in to the Social Club website and register the key to my profile. I think it was on that page it had information about patches. It said the game will be be patched through the launcher or you can manually download patches too, but under there it said Steam version will be patched through the Steam client.

My pre-load finished a little while ago and it's still verifying. I kind of hoped it would download an installer that I could backup for re-install later and not have to re-download 60GB. Maybe the Rockstar launcher has a backup/verify feature like Steam.

yuastnav wrote on Apr 9, 2015, 09:17:
There is a Rockstar client?

I was a bit confused since it looks like nuuvem gives you a key for the Rockstar social club and no Steam key, or am I mistaken?

But yeah, 27€ on nuuvem vs. 60€ on Steam seems almost like a steal.

I'm not aware of any place that sells Steam keys for GTA V. All key retailers are selling keys for the Rockstar client thing. Even if you get it on Steam, you'll have to have use the Rockstar Launcher, just like Ubisoft games still go through Uplay on Steam.

Is Nuuvem a trusted reseller? I've heard of them and hear about people buying from them all the time, but you know what they say about things that seem too good to be true. Buying cheap keys from Brazil seems a little shady to me.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Cinematic
33. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Cinematic Apr 9, 2015, 02:46 jimnms

Task wrote on Apr 8, 2015, 16:46:
Lots of other non-boss fight situations had the same approach; like saving JC Denton's brother (I managed that only by accident, I thought the game was presenting a no win scenario, but I somehow blasted away tons of soldiers with everything I had).

That part of the game was one of the most memorable for me. The first time I played it I was like "I'm not leaving ya bro." Then when they busted through the door and kept coming, I was like "it was nice knowing ya bro."

The second or third time I played it I decided I was going to see if I could save him. I fought until I ran out of ammo and they were still coming and sending tougher guys, so I bolted thinking it was meant to be a no-win situation. Somehow though when I got to the part later in the game where you had to retrieve something from his body in the morgue, he was still alive.

Then when I played it again another time, I prepared myself for it. I was determined to see if it could be won. I set up traps before they came in, and this time I managed to fight them off. The cool thing about it is the game changed to reflect that he was still alive instead of the first time knowing he was dead and the second time thinking he was dead, the game changed dialogs and such to reflect that he was alive.

MeanJim on Steam

44. Re: GTA5 PC Graphics Options Detailed; Game May Span 7 Discs Apr 9, 2015, 02:15 jimnms

nin wrote on Apr 9, 2015, 01:55:
The Half Elf wrote on Apr 9, 2015, 01:22:
Driving and shooting was easy with a M&K in GTA4, why would it be any more difficult in 5?

One of the cool things they added/changed going from last gen to current gen consoles (and I'd be shocked if the pc didn't have it as well) is, instead of a single button press to aim/shoot (IE the gun begins firing the moment the button is pressed, even if you're not on target yet), now you can have one button press to aim, and then another to shoot. Or, you can also change it back to the traditional method it was before.

There's lot of cool options like that, also how you can specify what you want the default camera to be in car, or on foot. They seem to have embraced the idea that people play the game differently, and try to support as many options as they can.

The aim and shoot in GRA IV PC are different buttons, did they change it to one button for GTA V in the old gen consoles?

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
12. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 8, 2015, 21:23 jimnms

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 8, 2015, 05:13:
You checked "give recommended updates the same way as important updates"

Which is not default, and that means you changed it to that All recommended updates are by default listed under optional.
It takes user action to change that default behavior. Likely like TONS of other people I know you clicked through that when windows first booted back when you installed it.. easy mistake to make, makes your MS rant quite hilarious though

What MS rant? I'm calling the article BS for claiming it's optional. If it were optional, it would be optional not recommended.

I'm pretty damn sure the recommended updates option is selected by default. I don't know if it always was. I know I didn't have it selected for a long time on my PC. The last several times I've installed Windows for someone it was checked by default, so I finally turned it on for my system.

MeanJim on Steam

21. Re: GTA5 PC Graphics Options Detailed; Game May Span 7 Discs Apr 8, 2015, 20:47 jimnms

For our short stint with the game we played in 4K with two GTX 980s in SLI, 32GB RAM and an i7-5930k processor at 3.50Ghz. That's beefy - higher than the average machine will run at - but the minimum specs are much less demanding. In fact, they're lower than you'd probably expect. The aim, says Rockstar, was to make GTA 5 malleable to a vast number of different setups so that most, if not all players, should feel as if they're getting the definitive GTA experience. The true performance of GTA 5 on lower-spec rigs remains to be seen.

Then why didn't you test the game on a lower spec system? Rolleyes I really don't give two shits on how this plays on a $4000 PC, I'd rather have an idea of what it would do on something normal.

MeanJim on Steam

7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 7, 2015, 22:15 jimnms

nin wrote on Apr 7, 2015, 21:03:
It's Recommended, but it's under the Optional banner.

Not for me. Look at the second screen shot I posted, it's in the Important section.

MeanJim on Steam

5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 7, 2015, 20:52 jimnms

MajorD wrote on Apr 7, 2015, 19:31:
This did come up for me as an 'Optional' update, which I have forgone FTB.

It showed up as a recommended update for me. I have Windows update set to only notify me of updates. I remember getting the updates that Saturday. First it was just one update that required a restart. Then after restarting, two more showed up, but didn't require a restart.

After uninstalling it, a little while later I got a notice of an important update. The description is a lie too. It says "Install this update to resolve issues in Windows."

It's odd that the update was installed Saturday, but this morning was the first time the GWXConfigManager.exe set off the firewall.

MeanJim on Steam

1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 7, 2015, 19:11 jimnms

Microsoft has released an optional update that “enables additional capabilities for Windows Update notifications when new updates are available to the user”.
Optional my ass. I don't install optional updates and this morning I was greeted with a firewall prompt when GWXConfigManager.exe tried to connect to something. A search for the file lead to a lot of forum posts about people wanting to know what it was, and I finally found one that had the answer as to what it was. I didn't have time to read the details, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't infected with something.

I've been home about an hour and it's fired up two more times, each time my firewall prompting me to allow or block it, while I was trying to find out if I could uninstall it and how.

Microsoft, I will probably take advantage of the free Win10 upgrade, but don't get pushy with this shit.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
16. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 7, 2015, 11:47 jimnms

LittleMe wrote on Apr 6, 2015, 23:52:
Try complaining to the city/county government or get a petition going. Get on your knees and beg the government because they're the ones upholding the duopoly. In some seriousness, they probably do write in some sort of service requirements that Comcast is supposed to deliver. Not like they enforce that regulation as you have found out.

"But, but, regulations solve everything!"

I sometimes wish I could get Comcast or one of the big corrupts ISPs because at least they deliver what you pay for. This is some no name re-branded shit my local cable co. sells. My only other option is AT&T Uverse. I get shit in the mail all the time trying to get me to switch. The ads say they have plans up to 45Mbps, but I checked and the fastest they can deliver to my house is 12Mbps. I hate AT&T and would rather not have to switch though.

MeanJim on Steam

14. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 6, 2015, 21:23 jimnms

I decided to look up the terms on my ISP's website and this is what they have to say:
Actual speed and latency may vary depending upon these and other factors. We generally expect
that absent the factors described above, actual performance of our services will be within 80% of
the maximum advertised speed. The FCC has reported that customers of coaxial cable-based
broadband Internet services experience an average latency of 28 milliseconds, and receive mean
download speeds that are within 93% of maximum advertised speeds during non-peak hours and
mean download speeds of 85.7% of maximum advertised speeds during peak hours of 7 pm to 11
pm.

I'm lucky to get 1% of what I'm paying for during these peak hours.

MeanJim on Steam

13. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 6, 2015, 21:19 jimnms

Agent.X7 wrote on Apr 6, 2015, 17:03:
That's the issue is the large window of time they have to schedule techs because they have too few techs and way WAY to many customers to service. I had an issue years ago with my internet cutting out completely after dark. Turns out it was a BNC barrel full of water. During the day, when 12 technicians examined my cables, it was liquid and passing along the connection. At night it froze and stopped being conductive enough to get a connection. The 13th technician was finally able to figure out the issue, but only because he was supposed to be by at 3PM and didn't make it until 8PM.

I doubt it's anything like that. On weekends it's all over the place, but still mainly after 6pm till midnight. Also, back in Feb we had some snow, which rarely happens here, so the whole town shut down. With schools out and most everyone not going to work, network performance was like a weekend, except in the middle of the week.

A tech came out in late September when a tree limb fell on the cable line coming the house. It didn't appear to be causing any issues, but the line was hanging low. He put the line back up, came in and hooked up some meter to the cable and said everything looked good.

I didn't start noticing it until the end of December either, before then it was fine. I don't know if it's a coincidence, but this is also around the same time is when they started switching off the analog channels and replacing them with digital. Can the digital cable TV interfere with the cable internet?

Cutter wrote on Apr 6, 2015, 17:44:
You could but it likely wouldn't go anywhere. It's why ISPs advertise speeds as "up to X Mbps". Doesn't mean you're going to get it.

If they say up to 20Mbps, you should at least be able to get close to 20Mbps at most times during the day, not at 3am when no one is on. Car manufacturers can't claim a car gets up to 100MPG*** and put in small print that it's only when driving down hill in neutral, they'd never get away with that.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Transmissions - Element 120 HL2 Mod
6. Re: Transmissions - Element 120 HL2 Mod Apr 6, 2015, 20:58 jimnms

Task wrote on Apr 6, 2015, 17:49:
Gotta start from the beginning. Half-Life 1, then Opposing Force, then HL2.

What about Blue Shift?

MeanJim on Steam

9. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 6, 2015, 16:38 jimnms

Does anyone know if you can file a complaint with the FTC (or FCC) if your ISP isn't delivering the speeds you're paying for? I pay for 20Mbit, but after around 5:30pm until after midnight it's so overloaded I'm lucky to get up to 2Mbit. I've complained to the ISP, but they insist nothing is wrong. They keep wanting to send a "technician" out every time I contact them, but one has already come out and found no problem. No shit you're not going to see the problem when you come out at 3pm when it's not overloaded.  

MeanJim on Steam

2366 Comments. 119 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo