Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2165 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
10. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 29, 2014, 23:16 jimnms

I've skipped buying the DLC the last two or three sales because I only need two of them, and it seems shitty to me to have to buy the legendary edition to get them, even though it's cheaper that way. I think I'm still going to hold out, but there's still ~14 hours for me to cave and change my mind.  

Steam Profile
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Summer Sales Ending
27. Re: Summer Sales Ending Jun 29, 2014, 23:04 jimnms

nin wrote on Jun 29, 2014, 19:32:
Did anyone ever attempt to update the textures on that one? Even running d3d, the screenshots look pretty rough, by todays standards.

You need to run it in OpenGL to set it to the maximum settings. I think the game looks pretty damn good for its age. Try HSFX IL-2 Mod though.

Anyone that likes IL-2, I think would like Rise of Flight. I have three extra keys from the Indie Gala ROF bundle if anyone is interested in a little trade. It has the base ROF game and two DLC, Legendary Bombers and furious wings. Playing on the MP campaign servers is pretty damn fun. There are AI flights going on and people can join in and fly for either side.

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 29, 2014, 20:44:
Hay guys, remember to post your Summer cards and sell them or use them before noon CST tomorrow. I sold all of mine for 20-25 cents this AM and they are already down to 15. :)

Hay is for horses. I sold my remaining cards this morning because I figured after the card race was over the price would tank. I wasn't interested in any of the rewards for crafting the summer badge, so I crafted one level and traded them for other game cards. I think I completed 15 other game badges by trading the summer cards for 2 or more regular game cards. I maxed out one badge and almost got a full set of foil cards for one game (KSP). I have one more that I can complete. I have enough cards, I just need to swap out one last duplicate, but after the card race ended today the trading scene has died out.

I lucked up and got a foil card drop the first day my team (pink) won, and I got another foil card drop today when we won again. Between those and the summer cards I had left this morning, I have almost $5 in my Steam wallet. Not long after I sold them, the prices started dropping.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Summer Sales Ending
26. Re: Summer Sales Ending Jun 29, 2014, 23:01 jimnms

It feels like I bought a lot, but I just checked my receipts and I didn't buy as much as I thought. I bought one game from GMG and two from GOG. I only bought three games from Steam, but I picked up a lot of little DLC. I guess the cheap DLC I picked up is why it feels like I bought so much more than I did.

I passed on Skyrim DLC. They give 75% off the base game, but only 50% on the DLC. I already have one of the DLC. It's cheaper to get the Legendary Edition than buy the two DLC I need, but it just rubs the the wrong way having to re-buy something I already have. There's still 14 hours left, so I might cave in. I may not though, because by the time I get around to playing Skyrim again the DLC will probably finally get a better discount.

There's still a coulple of things I'm on the fence about picking up now or waiting on. I'm leaning toward waiting, but there's enough time to sleep on it and get it in the morning if I change my mind.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin Beta Toolkit
10. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Beta Toolkit Jun 27, 2014, 23:01 jimnms

I'm really looking forward to this, but I'm not going to play it at release. For one, I have to wait for my physical boxed copy to arrive, but mainly, they already said they are shipping the game with some features not implemented, which will get added in later. They said patches won't break save games after release, but some new features that get patched in won't be accessible unless you start a new game.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Game Reviews
4. Spintires Jun 26, 2014, 02:24 jimnms

I watched a live stream with the devs of Spintires the day it was released. It made me want to go out and buy it, but I had to hold myself back though. The MP looks like a lot of fun. That's what they were doing in the stream. There were three of them attempting to pickup and deliver some logs while answering questions from viewers. Two of them were driving the log trucks and one was following in a support truck to assist and pull them out when they got stuck. As difficult as it looked with three of them trying to deliver the logs, I don't know how fun it would be in SP.

They did say the world was somewhat persistent, so if you're playing alone and get stuck, you can switch to another vehicle back at a garage and go help yourself out. They also said the terrain was persistent, so if you continue to drive over the same spot digging ruts that it will get deeper and deeper.

A lot of people complain about lack of wheel support, but without a first person cabin view I don't see the point of using a wheel. I do hope they add both though.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale
62. Re: Steam Summer Sale Jun 20, 2014, 00:48 jimnms

LurkerLito wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 19:46:
jimnms wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 17:37:
They said that the Steam version will not use DRM, so once you download it, you can copy it to any other computer of yours and run it without Steam.
Hmm you sure about that? I am pretty sure Steam made steam DRM a requirement for any new games on the service after a few years back. Some games like skyrim IIRC, got by this by making only the launcher use the steam DRM, but you could launch the main exe and it bypassed steam, but in later update Steam made it mandatory on everything and they had no choice but to lock up all the exes. MP doesn't really matter to me but the steam workshop might be one of those features I'd want to use. While I don't mind steam, if given a choice it's always DRM-Free for me, so either way I am buying the GoG version.

I'm pretty sure Steam hasn't made DRM a requirement, unless they've done it very recently. The PCGaming Wiki's List of DRM Free Games on Steam shows lots of titles less than a year old.

I looked for the post on Larian's forums regarding Steam and DRM, but I can't find it. It might have been in one of the Kickstarter updates though. I posted the question, maybe I'll get an answer soon.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Fallout, Fallout 2, and Fallout Tactics Return to Steam
27. Re: Fallout, Fallout 2, and Fallout Tactics Return to Steam Jun 20, 2014, 00:07 jimnms

According to a post on the GOG forums:
From the Readme files;

Fallout 1:
This Bethesda Softworks release of Fallout 1 contains the original Interplay 1.2 White Label version of the game. To maximize compatibility on modern systems, we have included the Fallout 1 High Resolution Patch version 4.1.8 by “Mash” Matt Wells.

Fallout 2:
This Bethesda Softworks release of Fallout 2 contains the original Interplay 1.02 version of the game. This release has been pre-patched with sfall version 2.19a and the Fallout 2 high resolution patch version 4.1.8.

They still should let GOG begin selling them again.

Steam Profile

25. Re: Fallout, Fallout 2, and Fallout Tactics Return to Steam Jun 19, 2014, 19:29 jimnms

Mad Max RW wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 18:28:
I don't know about the "new" Bethesda stamped releases, but the previous Interplay owned Steam versions actually stole a fan created modification from No Mutants Allowed that had been around for years.

GOG did the same thing for Fallout 2. The original GOG release was unmodified, but then they switched to their v2 installer, they included SFall with it. I (and many others) had a problem with the new version and had to remove the mod to get the game to work.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Star Citizen's Realistic Flight Explained
46. Re: Star Citizen's Realistic Flight Explained Jun 19, 2014, 18:13 jimnms

Creston wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 14:58:
jimnms wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 14:49:
Here's a video of a guy explaining "The Physics Of Flying 'Space Fighters'" using Kerbal Space Program.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYPxJtra1ws

That's not just "a guy", that's Scott Manley, who is like the Kerbal Space Program Guru. (Which may have something to do with the fact that he either currently is, or was at one point, working for NASA as a rocket scientist or whatever they're called now.)

Tl;dr Scott Manley is brilliant, and is ALWAYS RIGHT.

I didn't think many people here would know who Scott Manley is.

Steam Profile

50. Re: Steam Summer Sale Jun 19, 2014, 18:03 jimnms

Quinn wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 17:05:
You are convincing me to buy the game friday, tomorrow. But one honest answer: How does the singleplayer campaign play? Is it immersive and does it really involve the player or are you just running around killing things and looting?

The single player and multi-player are the same. In SP, you control both characters, even in dual dialogs if you chose. They added an option to turn on AI for the second character which you can chose different personalities for, but right now the only personality is random. You can be playing SP and invite a friend to join in to take over the second character at any time.

I've played almost 30 hours so far, most of that in the Alpha, and I've only explored the starting town and a little bit outside it. There is a lot to do besides run around and kill things, and there are multiple ways to solve quests and problem. They say the game will be about 50 hours, but I think it's going to be a 100+ hour game for me. They had a live stream the other day showing off the new build and talking about what's coming for the full release and the editor.

http://www.twitch.tv/larianstudios/b/539683895

Steam Profile

46. Re: Steam Summer Sale Jun 19, 2014, 17:37 jimnms

LurkerLito wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 17:04:
Divinity looks good, but I am waiting for it on GoG. I hope GoG does a release day 20% off and I'll definitely grab it, or I'll wait for a 50% off later :).

They said that the Steam version will not use DRM, so once you download it, you can copy it to any other computer of yours and run it without Steam. I get a copy from Kickstarter and they give you the option to get a Steam key, GOG key or DRM free download from the Larian Vault. I was torn between DRM free from GOG or Larian Vault and Steam, but I decided to go with a Steam key because it does have Steamworks integration for MP and Steam workshop integration for mods.

Steam Profile

21. Re: Fallout, Fallout 2, and Fallout Tactics Return to Steam Jun 19, 2014, 17:26 jimnms

So they actually modified the game to natively support higher resolutions? That's pretty awesome, but I hope they're going to release these back on GOG because I'm sure it will cause a shit storm if they don't. I bought them on GOG (for full price too), and I'm sure as hell not going to buy them again.  

Steam Profile

31. Re: Steam Summer Sale Jun 19, 2014, 16:00 jimnms

Verno wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 15:01:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 15:00:
Axis wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 13:34:
If you don't already own Divinity: Original Sin, that's an absolute no-brainer purchase - jump on it.

Has that come out yet? I thought it was still in development.

It's early access still. I'm waiting til it comes out, I swore off all early access and Kickstarter stuff no matter the pedigree of the devs. Hopefully it'll be great as expected but I don't mind waiting and paying an extra little bit of money.

The release date is still set for June 30, 11 days from now. If you're planning to get it at release, might as well grab it now and take advantage of the discount.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Star Citizen's Realistic Flight Explained
33. Re: Star Citizen's Realistic Flight Explained Jun 19, 2014, 14:49 jimnms

Here's a video of a guy explaining "The Physics Of Flying 'Space Fighters'" using Kerbal Space Program.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYPxJtra1ws

Steam Profile

20. Re: Steam Summer Sale Jun 19, 2014, 14:34 jimnms

I'm tempted to pick up XCOM:EW, but only if the game has XCOM been fixed. I haven't noticed any patches since I bought it, except the patch that added support for EW. I quit playing the game because it got too buggy. I was pretty far into the game, then all of the sudden the hit percentage indicators stopped working. No matter what the situation, the hit percentage only showed 1% or 99%.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Op Ed
40. Re: Op Ed Jun 19, 2014, 02:11 jimnms

Feminism versus FACTS (RE Damsel in distress):
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Steam Profile

News Comments > Battlefield Hardline PC Beta Instant Access
32. Re: Battlefield Hardline PC Beta Instant Access Jun 18, 2014, 16:00 jimnms

I managed to get a Beta invite a week ago, but all I've had the time to do is get on an empty server to setup my controls and run around a bit. I was going to play over the weekend, but something came up.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > SCS Software Dev vs Valve
14. Re: SCS Software Dev vs Valve Jun 17, 2014, 01:09 jimnms

Primalchrome wrote on Jun 16, 2014, 17:24:
How, exactly, is this an abuse of power from Valve? If I tell you that your front door lock is defective and I can pick it with these three little bits of metal....does that give me the right to thwart said lock and come in to use your kitchen and restroom as I please? Or even better, tell a community of anonymous dirtbags how to do it and perhaps exploit it in even more creative ways?

That's not a very good analogy. Think of it more like an apartment building where every apartment uses the same type of lock. You discover a vulnerability in the lock that could allow someone to break into not just your apartment, but any apartment in the building. You report it to the building owner, but months go by and they don't seem to be concerned about fixing it. So you use the vulnerability to get into the manager's apartment and leave a note to try and let them know how urgent the issue is, and then get kicked out of your apartment.

All it would take is a developer to have their login compromised (it was mentioned on the linked reddit thread that developer logins were previously compromised with the heartbleed bug), and then someone insert a malicious script into an announcement.

He never told a "community of anonymous dirtbags" how to do the exploit either, he just put out an announcement for his own product that demonstrated it. Valve was told about it months ago, and they didn't bother to attempt to fix it until now.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
4. Firefox risks user backlash by adding search box to new tab page. Thanks Linux Today. Jun 15, 2014, 18:08 jimnms

As long as you can still disable this like you currently can, I don't really care. I have FF set to open a blank page on new tabs/windows.

I think they should educate users instead of making them dumber. I put Firefox on anyone's computer that they ask me to "fix" for them. I see so many people that don't bother to change the default start page and use the search box on the start page to type in the URL of pages there and press the giant SEARCH button rather than type it in the address bar. Instead of putting search boxes on the new tab and default start pages, they should put giant arrows and text pointing to the address and search boxes telling users where to type address and where to type searches.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
10. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 15, 2014, 00:41 jimnms

Creston wrote on Jun 14, 2014, 21:26:
The Half Elf wrote on Jun 14, 2014, 13:56:
They would really need to work on the vehicle controls if they wanted me to double dip on this again.

Yup. Driving is absolutely terrible in SD. It may genuinely be the worst driving experience of any of the big gta-like open world games.

Which is a shame, because the rest of the game is fantastic.

Reading these comments is pushing this game farther down my to-play-soon list. From what I remember of the video reviews of SD and the fighting aspect of it looked like QTE city. Wait for opponent to flash, press button to counter.

I keep going back to GTA because the driving is fun. I've played the story a couple of times, but I fire it up every now and then because getting into car chases and shootouts are fun by itself. It's even more fun with the realistic handling mod, and I used an editor to bump up the damage multiplier to make damage more realistic. I picked up Saints Row 3 from the THQ bundle, and the driving was pretty bad in it, but the gang fights and the rest of the game was good enough to keep me playing.

So what does SD have to offer if the driving is crap, and the fighting looked meh to me.

Steam Profile

2165 Comments. 109 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo