Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2246 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto Online Trailer and Previews Thursday
25. Re: Grand Theft Auto Online Trailer and Previews Thursday Aug 12, 2013, 18:51 jimnms

GTA: SA was my first GTA, well other than GTA1. A friend talked me into giving it a try, so I did. I still have the original disk, the one with the "hot coffee" in it. I later bought a GTA Complete pack on Steam several sales ago (before GTA IV ever came out), and I just couldn't play GTA III and Vice City. It wasn't because they were hard, it's because the controls were so shitty compared to SA. I hate 3rd person games enough as it is, but with the free camera in SA and IV, it is playable. In III and VC, the camera is fixed, and there is some weird mouse acceleration going on that made aiming impossible.

I don't remember story missions GTA SA being any harder than IV. I don't remember failing or having trouble with missions in either game, except for the RC missions in SA, those were a bitch. I completed SA to 100% twice, using only KB + Mouse. I never bothered to complete IV to 100% because the reward for 100% in IV wasn't worth it.

A lot of people bitch about the social shit in GTA IV, but to me that was easier to handle than in SA. It's completely optional in both games, but in GTA IV it's easier to maintain if you want the perks a friend provides. In GTA IV, once you get to the level where they give you their perk, you don't have to do anything with them anymore. When they call you, just agree to what they want, then call them right back and cancel, and your rep with them doesn't change.

In GTA SA, the only two girlfriends I bothered with were the nurse and cop, so you could keep your stuff if you die and get out of jail free without losing your weapons. Getting them to date you was a bit of a challenge, because I think one liked you skinny and the other liked you fat. You either had to collect those damn oysters or wear nice clothes and find a car that boosts your sex appeal stat enough. Once you started dating them and got their perk, it was a bitch to maintain because you had little control over it. If you don't take them out after a while, they call you and you have to drop what you are doing and go take them out or you risk getting dumped and losing their perk.

I guess a couple of things made IV a little easier. Getting killed in IV didn't remove your weapons like in SA (unless you are dating the nurse). The auto save is nice, so you didn't have to go to a safe house and manually save. I thought losing wanted levels was a little easier in SA too. There were those pickups that removed a star, but I think as long as you were 4 stars or less, just staying out of sight long enough would make it go away. You could drive into a pay-n-spray in full view of the cops and lose any wanted level, and you could go into a safe house and save to lose the wanted levels. In IV, at least you had to be out of sight before a pay-n-spray removed your wanted level. There were easy ways to lose wanted levels in IV, just not as many. Getting into the underground subway would let you get out of the search radius without being seen, but that only worked on the one island with the underground subways. I think you could still go in a safe house, save then load the game to remove wanted levels too.

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Wasteland Re-release Plans
29. Re: Wasteland Re-release Plans Aug 11, 2013, 00:42 jimnms

I had/have no problems running Wasteland in DOSBox. The first time I played it, not long after starting the game I went into a cave and my entire team got killed by rats, mother fucking rats. My elite team of Desert Rangers couldn't hit a damn thing. They used up all of their ammo missing nearly every shot with their pistols before I had to switch to knives and crowbars.

I just realized I had it installed. I loaded it up, and I've been playing it for about an hour. Apparently I had already created a team the last time I played it, but never started the game. I think this team is doing a bit better.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Star Citizen Funding at $15MM
12. Re: Star Citizen Funding at $15MM Aug 2, 2013, 23:59 jimnms

Ten years ago, big publishers decided space games weren’t profitable… and you are proving them very, very wrong!
Technically it's not profitable yet. All of this money raised is supposed to be going toward development of the game.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad Preorders
13. Re: IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad Preorders Jul 29, 2013, 13:57 jimnms

Ozmodan wrote on Jul 29, 2013, 11:03:
This is getting ridiculous, you have to buy the focke wulf in the store to fly it?

Tired of money grubbing devs, won't be sending money there way any time soon.

Yeah this blows. I didn't expect this out of 1C, especially since they're still patching and adding planes to IL-2 1946 for FREE.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steam Top 10
18. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 29, 2013, 09:55 jimnms

Numinar wrote on Jul 29, 2013, 05:04:
Go Kerbal! So. Awesome.
I'm loving Kerbal. It's still in alpha, but there's already so much stuff you can do. I just got my first Kerbal in orbit yesterday. I first experimented with putting satellites in orbit. My first one was a success, but the orbit was a bit wonky. I used up all of the fuel on the rocket, so it's now junk floating around in orbit. I wanted to get the satellite up and bring the rocket back, so I made changes and tried again. My second attempt once again I got the satellite in orbit, and this time it was a better, circular orbit. Again failed to bring the rocket back though. I had plenty of fuel, but I didn't know that it needed electrical power. The third one I attached a battery to the rocket stage, put the satellite in orbit, detached the rocket, and still couldn't fire the thrusters to de-orbit it. I then realized it needs a command module too. Not only do I have a 3rd junk rocket in orbit, I forgot to extend the solar panels on the satellite before its internal battery ran out, so that makes four pieces of space junk now. I made another little tweak and the fourth try I successfully put the satellite in orbit and recovered the rocket.

Then I replaced the satellite with a manned module, but didn't put a Kerbal in it yet. I attached a small unmanned command module to it to make sure I could get it in orbit and bring it back safely before putting a Kerbal's life on the line. It was a good thing too because I had a couple of failures before getting a successful orbit and recovery. I then double checked with two more successful launches before doing it with a Kerbal on board without the unmanned module controlling it.

Now that I've done that, I'm going to experiment with putting a satellite in orbit of the Mun (Kerbin's moon), then send a Kerbal to orbit the Mun and return. Then I'll start working on a way to land them on the Mun and get them home. I'm also thinking of designing a ship to go up and get those junk rockets out of orbit. I know you can "delete" them from the command center, but that's no fun.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
18. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 28, 2013, 02:24 jimnms

jdreyer wrote on Jul 27, 2013, 21:32:
jimnms wrote on Jul 27, 2013, 15:47:
Other than that, the hardest thing I'm having trouble picking out is a case.

I'd recommend the SilverStone Raven RV03. When I rebuilt my PC last summer, I looked at dozens of different cases assessing them for the following criteria: had to have a window, had to have excellent cooling, had to have plenty of space, and had to have easily removable dust covers that could be cleaned. The RV03 has all of that. The only thing that bothered me was the gold stripe, but shortly after release they also released a gray stripe one, which is the one I got.

I like simple cases. I went with the windowed, lighted, blinged out cases on the past two systems, and with this one and I went simple with this case (except mine is windowless). There are two things I really like about this case, one it's all aluminum, so it's very light and it keeps things cool. Second, the power supply is inserted from the outside, which made putting it together easier, and the few times I had to attach a wire to it (it's modular) I could slide it out a little to get to it better.

I want to keep it simple again again. My requirements are: at least two external bays (one 5.25" and one 3.5" or two 5.25"), USB 3.0 on the front panel and nothing on top. I found several cases I liked, but the USB ports and/or power/reset buttons were on top. My last case had the USB ports on top, and I never used them because I always end up setting stuff on top of the case. There was one that had an eSATA dock on top, which was pretty cool though.

I've browsed some more and this is the leader so far, the Cooler Master N400. Unless someone can point me to something that meets my requirements above that I like better, I'll go with this one.

Now that I've got the case sorted out, I just need to decide if I'm going to go with the 4670K to have the room to overclock later, save a few bucks for the Non K CPU or splurge for the i7 4770. The i7 4770 is has 8MB cache vs 6MB, and has hyperthreading, but it's also $90 more than the i5 4670.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
3. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 27, 2013, 15:47 jimnms

Over the past couple of days I've been casually piecing together a new system. All I need is a MB, CPU and RAM. I'll keep my current PSU, HD, optical drives and video card (which I bought about 6 months ago when my old one died). I still want to get a new case and keep my old system working since I have a spare PSU, HD, OD and video card to put in it.

Right now I'm still rocking a 1st gen Core i5 750. I went with that chip for the overclockability of it. I figured I'd just overclock it later instead of an upgrade, which is what I did on my last system (which was an AMD). I did some overclocking tests with it for the first few days before I put it back to the stock 2.66GHz to install Windows and set everything up. I figured I'd leave it stock for a while and see how it handled things before I'd overclock it. It ran everything I had maxed out, so I left it at the stock speed. Since I built it I've added more RAM, upgraded the video card and HD space, but it still runs everything I have maxed out.

In a few months it will have been 4 years since I built it. I can keep going with this one and still overclock it when I get something it can't run, but I'm kind of leaning toward building a new system. I've already got a few MB's picked out, but since I didn't need to overclock this system, I'm thinking of saving a few bucks and going with the i5 4670 (non K), or spend a bit more on the i7 4770 (non K) for the extra cache and hyperthreading support. Other than that, the hardest thing I'm having trouble picking out is a case.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Into the Black
9. Re: Into the Black Jul 22, 2013, 21:27 jimnms

Cutter wrote on Jul 22, 2013, 20:24:
Rhino wrote on Jul 22, 2013, 20:17:
Cutter wrote on Jul 22, 2013, 20:12:
Good now they can stfu about the stupid royal baby and the stupid royal family.

Yeah! Those idiots, being happy for other people.

So you're happy for parasites who think they're better than you and expect you bow and scrape to them for no real reason at all? Well, bully for you. This world is full of masochists, one more certainly won't make a difference. Personally I find the very concept of an aristocracy to be deeply offensive.

http://youtu.be/bhyYgnhhKFw

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Enhanced Steam Browser Plugin
18. Re: Enhanced Steam Browser Plugin Jul 22, 2013, 16:03 jimnms

When I first read the title, I thought it was something that would allow plugins to the Steam browser. That would be nice as some sites loaded with flash ads will crash the Steam overlay.

I'll give this plugin a try though. I don't use the Steam client to browse Steam sites.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > On Sale
12. Re: On Sale Jul 20, 2013, 12:31 jimnms

nin wrote on Jul 19, 2013, 18:32:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 19, 2013, 17:37:
nin wrote on Jul 19, 2013, 09:04:
SpectralMeat wrote on Jul 19, 2013, 08:54:
EU Truck Sim2 is awesome!
For 75% off it is a steal.
There is a demo if you are unsure, and your character you create and start to work on in the demo carries over to the full game.
I was laughing at that game too when it first came out but it is really good.

Yeah, I tried the demo awhile back, and it pretty much sold me. Just been waiting on the right price...

I tend to like the playstyle of semi GTA, where I'm driving like a mad man, while at the same time actually attempting to get to the goal.

You A holes....I can't believe I am going to buy this game....

LOL...try the demo. I found it fun. I also have the train sim from one of the previous sales, though I've not tried it yet (and I'm sure as fuck not buying all that DLC).

I can't bought a truck driving sim. I gave the demo a try, and ended up playing it for about 6 hours before it wouldn't let me play anymore. There's a shit ton of mods out there for it too:
http://ets2-mods.com/
http://www.simgamemod.com/
http://www.gamemoding.com/euro-truck-simulator-2-mods

Who says demos cause less sales? This is the the 2nd game I've bought during the summer sale after playing the demo (Kerbal is the other one). If you make a good game, and the demo gives you just enough of a taste leaving you wanting more, it's going to sell it.

I might be tempted to buy a wheel now, but first I'm going to give it a try with my flight sim yoke. I used a 360 pad to play the demo, but I think it would be more enjoyable with the Yoke.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > On Sale
18. Re: On Sale Jul 17, 2013, 21:45 jimnms

Beamer wrote on Jul 17, 2013, 13:47:
I've actually bought very little. I think I bought Blood Dragon and Sleeping Dogs.

Nothing seems overwhelmingly necessary to me.

I've bought less games so far this sale, but I've spent a more than usual because I pretty much already have everything I want that comes up for sale. The stuff I have bought are fairly recent releases like Dishonored or even new games like Toki Tori 2+ (got a discount for owning the previous one) and Kerbal Space Program (demo sold me), so they aren't has heavily discounted.

When was Blood Dragon on sale? I don't remember seeing it as a daily deal, if it was a flash sale I must have missed it.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Police Quest Creator's Kickstarter
13. Re: Police Quest Creator's Kickstarter Jul 16, 2013, 17:55 jimnms

I played the first PQ and loved it, though I don't think I ever beat it. I liked the old school Sierra point and click adventure games where you could lose the game if you missed something in the first 5 minutes of the game. Games these days don't let you lose.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > INSECTION Kickstarter
2. Re: INSECTION Kickstarter Jul 15, 2013, 22:16 jimnms

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 21:28:
What caused this nonsense where coop means a max of four players? I understand there was some console influence, with the Xbox(I think?) that could link 4 together, back in the day, but this is a PC/Mac only game... why is the cap 4 players here?

Full disclosure, I have no intention of contributing to this kickstarter, purely because I have a ton of other stuff backlogged already to play, but the 4 player limit jumped out at me here.

PS. Steam Sale is only partially winning the battle vs my finances so far.

Doom was limited to 4 players in coop and DM. Duke 3D also was limited to 4 player MP. I remember playing 4-player DM in Duke 3D, but I can't remember if it had coop.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 9, 2013, 11:02 jimnms

I found this interesting link that calculates how much time it will take you to play all of the Steam games you haven't played yet. Of course for older games released before Steam tracked your play time, it can't know that you've played and beaten them. Also some of the main story and completionist times seem way off.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Star Citizen Economy Trailer
38. Re: Star Citizen Economy Trailer Jul 8, 2013, 05:25 jimnms

Flatline wrote on Jul 8, 2013, 01:37:
I feel like a chump for *only* putting 60 or 80 or whatever it was towards this game back during kickstarter, when now that money could go towards a ship geared specifically towards the style of gameplay I might prefer to play.

It's a bullshit sucker punch and leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Not that there's anything I can do about it at this point.

You got a ship with your kickstarter. If I recall, the ship packages in the kickstarter were the same but cheaper as what they've offered on their site. Also, there is something you can do about it if you want a different ship, that was the point of the new site design. If you setup your account on the new site and link your kickstarter pledge, you can reclaim your current ship which will give you credit to change to a different ship.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Star Citizen Economy Trailer
24. Re: Star Citizen Economy Trailer Jul 7, 2013, 23:47 jimnms

Gnolt wrote on Jul 7, 2013, 13:28:
I really want to add that some people are going overboard with the ship "buying" stuff -- a month after launch and we will be hearing complaints of how little all that meant once you get a ways into the game - most likely the best actual ships and upgrades cannot be insured AND cannot be docked (corvettes i believe are the largest ship that can dock) so your guild must have 24 hour coverage to protect your high value assets that you have to leave "parked" in space -- also if you have the free hanger perk well it is only on the starter planet so you will have to fly back there to avoid being charged

Are you sure there are ships that can't dock with stations? They may bee too big to fit in a hangar, but they should still be able to dock with a space station, otherwise they'd have to have teleporters or shuttle craft, none of which I've read anything about. Either way I'd imagine for large ships that can't land on planets (or dock), then you need to park them in orbit around a planet in the heavily policed sectors.

This also brings up a good question of how the persistent universe servers handle disconnected players. From what I read on the instancing, if you're orbiting a highly populated planet, then there may be several different instances of this planet, so not all players would see you. If you're in orbit of this planet when you disconnect, will the PU server remove you from the universe? Also how will it handle people disconnecting if they get attacked? I'm sure all of this has been asked and answered on their forums.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Killing Floor: Free Week; Patch; Sale; More
4. Re: Killing Floor: Free Week; Patch; Sale; More Jul 4, 2013, 18:42 jimnms

Sacrifex wrote on Jul 4, 2013, 15:44:
I picked up the game a few sales back, but I was told the scene could be extremely vitriolic, so I never even went online with it. I have too many games left on the backlog to spend time getting yelled at when I'm trying to have fun.

Same reason I won't touch LoL, and the like.

Don't believe everything your told. I've had nothing but fun with the game playing online.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - The Walking Dead 400 Days
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - The Walking Dead 400 Days Jul 3, 2013, 18:57 jimnms

Is this the full 5 stories or just the first of the five? I'd rather wait for all of them to come out before picking it up if they're going to release them one at a time.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Final Sven Co-op for Half-Life
5. Re: Final Sven Co-op for Half-Life Jul 3, 2013, 16:29 jimnms

ItBurn wrote on Jul 3, 2013, 10:22:
Had tons of fun with this. Wish it was for HL2.

There are a couple of coop mods for HL2 that I've played before. Synergy is one that still gets updates, but there was another one I played a while back with a friend, but I can't think of the name.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Saints Row 4 "Low Violence" Edition Plans?
14. Re: Saints Row 4 Jul 2, 2013, 22:31 jimnms

Ozmodan wrote on Jul 2, 2013, 15:24:
Well if the dumb ass developers had half a sense of what not to put in a game like this, they would not have this problem. Despite the rating, kids in their early teens will be playing this, whether their parents know it or not. It is not an aussie problem, it is immature developers not recognizing limits.

I don't want my gaming experience changed because one country's stupid laws doesn't let adults make their own decisions. I thought Australia had finally grown up when it added the R18+ classification, but I guess not.

MeanJim on Steam

2246 Comments. 113 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo