Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2165 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
41. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 31, 2013, 23:29 jimnms

Orogogus wrote on May 31, 2013, 18:08:
Well, I agree that most people I've met don't know how to use the Start Menu. If I had a nickel for every time I opened an old version of Windows to find the Start Menu filled with crap going past the screen height... In practice I find that the majority of people I know use desktop icons for everything, and the Start Menu is just there to shut down the computer.

I can sort of see how that mess ended up as the W8 interface, especially after all these people were apparently able to manage tablet and smartphone interfaces just fine. But not so great for people who were able to navigate Windows in the first place,

My niece got a notebook for Christmas, and between it and her playing on my computer, the only OS she's ever used has been Windows 7. I set up an old computer for her to play games on here, and at first I put Win7 on it I didn't activate it since you can run it without activating for 30 days, then type a command to reset it. You can do this three times, so you can run it for 120 days before it quits working.

Anyway, the old computer I was using originally had WinXP on it, and there were a few issues it had with Win7. After Win7 stopped working in the demo mode, I put WinXP back on it.

When she first came over after putting WinXP on it, I told her it would be a little different than she was used to because it had and older version of Windows. After using it for a few minutes, she told me that it was easier to use than her notebook. I asked her why, and she told me because all the programs were there when she clicked the start button and she didn't have to scroll to find them or remember what to type.

I can see her point. For someone that's never used Windows, without knowing what to type, having browsing the start menu in Win7 is a bit of a pain with it being restricted to that tiny window vs. WinXP's expanding menu. I can see Windows 8 being even harder to use for a new computer user.

Steam Profile
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Rising Storm Rises
3. Re: Rising Storm Rises May 30, 2013, 23:28 jimnms

I played the beta for about 6 hours, straight. I like it, so I went ahead and bought it with just a few minutes left to get 40% off for owning RO2. I didn't realize that today was the release date, just a couple of days ago it was still saying "summer."

The maps are great, from both sides. There's one dense jungle map that is insane. I love the island missions too. The Americans are storming the beach while the Japanese are defending it. The maps are much better than RO2 maps.

The bonsai charges are super fun when playing as Japan, and terrifying when playing as America. It takes a bit of coordination to get enough people to do it though.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
15. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 29, 2013, 01:27 jimnms

eRe4s3r wrote on May 28, 2013, 16:37:
That tool is completely useless if you have many online accounts and want to use them over half a dozen machines unless you fancy copy and pasting passwords (or the entire password database) around.

Lastpass or 1Password are the only real choices you have if you want a secure online vault. As long as your master password is sufficiently impossible to crack (talking 20+ length) the security is as high as it can get. Best of all, if you use an USB based auth method.

Like this one (Lifehacker)

I only have a desktop and a notebook, so using a local password database has worked fine for me. I've used Password Safe for years. I just copy the database to my notebook when I'm about to go out of town. I feel the less places my passwords are stored the better. I wouldn't want to log into an online site using someone else's computer even if I knew the password.

Steam Profile

News Comments > etc.
2. Amazon.com Gold Box Deals May 28, 2013, 12:25 jimnms

That's not the Gold Box I was thinking of.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue May 28, 2013, 00:44 jimnms

ledhead1969 wrote on May 27, 2013, 12:37:
"Water is the most abundant substance on the planet. If anyone canít get it, its likely because...

You do realize that of all the water on the planet only 3% of it exists as fresh water. Then out of that 3%, only 0.3% of that exists as liquid water on the surface, the rest of it is either underground, or the majority of it (~70%) is ice. And then what water that is available isn't evenly distributed across the planet.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Memorial Metaverse
2. Re: Memorial Metaverse May 28, 2013, 00:20 jimnms

I'd be all over Amazon Grocery delivery if it were available. I hate going to the grocery store.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Terraria Content Update Plans
28. Re: Terraria Content Update Plans May 24, 2013, 18:51 jimnms

Nice timing. I fired up Terraria the other day because I was bored. Way back when I started out, I was playing with a friend, but he decided he didn't like it after a couple of times playing. I haven't gotten very far in the game. I haven't even beaten the first boss, the Eye of Cthulhu. He showed up one before I quit playing and slaughtered me.

I think I have a crappy world and/or starting position. The corruption is just a bit to the right of where I started, and to my left is a large desert. On the other side of the desert is a castle where I got murdered by something when I entered it. If I go over the castle and continue going left I run into the ocean. I used a water walking potion and ran until it wore off and I don't think there is anything past it.

I have a mixed set of iron and silver armor, and gold tools. When I quit playing I remember I was trying to get to the other side of the corruption because I think I've pretty much mined every ore there is between the corruption and the castle. I have a grappling hook and the jumpy boots, so I thought I could just run and jump my way through it. That didn't work, I fell in a dark hole, I couldn't see and couldn't grab anything with the hook, so I went splat after a long ass fall (a seriously long fall, I think it was 30 seconds before I hit bottom).

The last thing I remember doing was trying to dig my way under the corruption. So when I started it the other day, that's what I did. I played for 4 hours and finally made it. I didn't bring any sunflowers to plant to stop the corruption, so I need to go back to get them. I made a little house, plopped a bed, set my spawn and stopped because I really didn't intend to play that long. This is one of those games where you think you're just going to play for a little while, and you just can't stop once you start.

Steam Profile

News Comments > New NVIDIA Drivers
7. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers May 23, 2013, 20:20 jimnms

Gib007 wrote on May 23, 2013, 17:09:
Running it without a hitch on two overclocked MSI Twin Frozr III GTX 570s in SLI. The process to upgrade drivers need to be (to avoid issues):

1. Ensure "NVIDIA" folder is deleted from drive C: root.
2. Uninstall any overclocking software (e.g. MSI Afterburner).
3. Uninstall current one from Control Panel. Reboot.
4. Uninstall anything left (e.g. HD Audio Driver). Reboot into Safe Mode.
5. Use "Driver Sweeper" to scan for "NVIDIA - Display" and clean everything. Reboot into Normal Mode.
6. Install new drivers. Reboot.
7. Configure drivers to your liking (e.g. enable SLI).
8. Install any programs for overclocking (e.g. MSI Afterburner). Reboot if asked/recommended to do so.
9. Configure overclocking to your liking. Reboot for good measure.

If this is followed each and every time you upgrade drivers, you're guaranteed no problems. I've never even had issues with Beta drivers using this method. If problems are encountered, I suggest you look at either your card(s) or whatever mess Windows is in on your computer.

What is this, the Rube Goldberg method of driver updating? I've never had a problem just installing the new driver, and you don't even have to reboot.

Steam Profile

News Comments > PlanetSide Going F2P
6. Re: PlanetSide Going F2P May 21, 2013, 11:29 jimnms

I installed PS2, but never got to try it. It was something like a 10GB download, which took all damn day. When it was finished, I didn't have the time to try it. It was a few days later when I decided to give it a try, but when I started it up it began downloading another 7GB. I let that download while went and played something else. I got caught up in whatever I was playing, so once again I didn't feel like playing by the time it finished its download. A week or so later I once again had a little time to play some MP. I fired up PS2 and now it starts downloading 8GB, so I uninstalled it.

I didn't download it through Steam, but I don't think that matters. Doesn't it use it's own updater? Does this thing receive that much patching that you end up downloading several GB each week or so?

Steam Profile

News Comments > Steam Top 10
19. Re: Steam Top 10 May 19, 2013, 23:41 jimnms

Fibrocyte wrote on May 19, 2013, 16:54:
Don't Starve is good but... when you die you lose everything and that's very discouraging. I don't think they should change that, but perhaps up the survivability a little. I spent a lot of time exploring the game w/o reading anything online so I died when night came... and I died when sanity got too low and my hallucinations were attacking me... and I died when the hounds first came because that was very unexpected... and I died by freezing once because I thought I had a little more time to reach my campfire at base.

Now that I know most of what will kill me, it's stupid mistakes that end up getting me. For example, I was collecting manure and accidentally clicking a beefalo instead of the manure pile and the entire herd massacred me in 1/2 a nanosecond.

Still, the game is very neat and well done. I've also not touched Adventure mode, yet.

I've having a bit of fun with it. I've watched a few videos of it before, so I had a basic understanding of it going in. I have yet to find any beefalo in my several plays. My last play was probably my longest yet. I was doing pretty good, when I found SPOILER TEXT: a grave yard and started digging up graves. I was finding all kinds of goodies, but by the time I realized this was draining my sanity it was too late. I started a new one today and spawned right near a wormhole. I'd never seen one of these before, so I went in only to get killed by some walking eyeball thing within minutes. I finally decided to take a peek at a wiki. I only looked at the descriptions of the stuff you can build and a few other things, mostly stuff that you already see in the game's description anyway, but I keep starving to death trying to read the tool tips in-game. It seems like finding beefalo is key to setting up sustainable source of food. You can't survive very long on just berries, rabbits, seeds and the occasional turkey.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Steam Trading Card May 18, 2013, 21:24 jimnms

I somehow got into the Steam Trading Card beta and have three invites to give away. If you want one, hit me up on Steam.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
11. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 17, 2013, 23:16 jimnms

nin wrote on May 17, 2013, 09:55:
Acleacius wrote on May 17, 2013, 09:52:
Anyone tried this for Steam or is there a better method?
Finally! A method to DELETE files stored in Steam Cloud servers!

Oh wow, never heard of that...gonna bookmark that, if it works...Thanks!

I bookmarked it a while ago, but never got around to trying it. I used to disable it for certain games that had huge save files (Fallout, Skyrim), and I remember an issue at FNV's release where it would overwrite your saves with old files. I finally disabled Steam cloud completely a while ago. I had a problem with one game (I forget which) that I had played before and had saves in the cloud. I started a new game, but every time I quit, it overwrote my new game with the old games. I only play games on my gaming machine anyway.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse May 16, 2013, 23:15 jimnms

TBS and TNT are still around? I thought they went through some name changes.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Game Reviews
15. Re: Game Reviews May 14, 2013, 23:49 jimnms

I got the Metro: 2033 free with a video card. I loved it, and was close to pre-ordering this one. Then I looked at my Steam page and saw that I finished it in 17 hours. I looked at the friends view that shows your friends time and notice no one else had more than 17 hours on it either. Even with GMG's 25% off I didn't think it was worth it for a < 20 hour game, so I'll wait for it to hit ~$10.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Bethesda Game Vulnerability
14. Re: Bethesda Game Vulnerability May 12, 2013, 13:05 jimnms

Since when do you need an exploit to crash a Bethesda game?  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Ubisoft Sticking with South Park: The Stick of Truth
9. Re: Ubisoft Sticking with South Park: The Stick of Truth May 3, 2013, 15:19 jimnms

I just hope they don't infect it with Uplay.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Valve Steampipe Conversions
10. Re: Valve Steampipe Conversions May 2, 2013, 23:46 jimnms

I haven't played TF2 in a while, but I launched it and let it update this morning. Then I checked each Source game, and there were a couple of others that needed the conversion. Check your steam/steamapps/<USERNAME> directory because after the conversions, it didn't remove the files from there like it said it would. It did copy/install the files to the common directory, but it left several gigs of stuff in the username directory.

I'm almost tempted to delete Steam and only re-install what I'm currently playing. When I install a game I never delete it in case I want to go back and play it again. I've also installed quite a bit that I intended to play, but haven't played at all yet. My Steam directory is almost 400GB, and I'm getting lower on disk space every day. I know I could clean out a couple of hundred gigs elsewhere though when it comes to the point when I really need it.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - FEZ
4. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FEZ May 1, 2013, 21:24 jimnms

Bradley wrote on May 1, 2013, 21:08:
I really wanted to play this when I first heard about it. But now that I know how much of a douche the developer is I'm going to have to think about it.

It will probably eventually be on an indie bundle. Just wait and grab it then and give the money to charity instead.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Negative people 36 percent better at responding to emails Apr 29, 2013, 23:42 jimnms

I bet negative people get less email too. As a negative American I don't get much personal email anymore, and I feel that is a good thing. I used to get a ton of shitty emails from friends and family forwarding political BS, chain mail, etc. They always send it to dozens of people, and I got fed up with it. I began replying to every one of them by replying to all and making them look like an ass by correcting the BS they were trying to spread. I actually got some positive replies from some of the people that were probably also sick of getting the BS, but too nice to reply.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > XCOM Now The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, a TPS Due in August
22. Re: XCOM Now The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, a TPS Due in August Apr 26, 2013, 15:20 jimnms

Soulburner wrote on Apr 26, 2013, 12:14:
Third person shooter? Back when it was a first person shooter I thought it was very interesting. Now... I don't.

That was pretty much my thoughts when I saw they were switching to 3rd person.

Steam Profile

2165 Comments. 109 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo