Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2150 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Ubisoft Sticking with South Park: The Stick of Truth
9. Re: Ubisoft Sticking with South Park: The Stick of Truth May 3, 2013, 15:19 jimnms

I just hope they don't infect it with Uplay.  

Steam Profile
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Valve Steampipe Conversions
10. Re: Valve Steampipe Conversions May 2, 2013, 23:46 jimnms

I haven't played TF2 in a while, but I launched it and let it update this morning. Then I checked each Source game, and there were a couple of others that needed the conversion. Check your steam/steamapps/<USERNAME> directory because after the conversions, it didn't remove the files from there like it said it would. It did copy/install the files to the common directory, but it left several gigs of stuff in the username directory.

I'm almost tempted to delete Steam and only re-install what I'm currently playing. When I install a game I never delete it in case I want to go back and play it again. I've also installed quite a bit that I intended to play, but haven't played at all yet. My Steam directory is almost 400GB, and I'm getting lower on disk space every day. I know I could clean out a couple of hundred gigs elsewhere though when it comes to the point when I really need it.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - FEZ
4. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FEZ May 1, 2013, 21:24 jimnms

Bradley wrote on May 1, 2013, 21:08:
I really wanted to play this when I first heard about it. But now that I know how much of a douche the developer is I'm going to have to think about it.

It will probably eventually be on an indie bundle. Just wait and grab it then and give the money to charity instead.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Negative people 36 percent better at responding to emails Apr 29, 2013, 23:42 jimnms

I bet negative people get less email too. As a negative American I don't get much personal email anymore, and I feel that is a good thing. I used to get a ton of shitty emails from friends and family forwarding political BS, chain mail, etc. They always send it to dozens of people, and I got fed up with it. I began replying to every one of them by replying to all and making them look like an ass by correcting the BS they were trying to spread. I actually got some positive replies from some of the people that were probably also sick of getting the BS, but too nice to reply.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > XCOM Now The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, a TPS Due in August
22. Re: XCOM Now The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, a TPS Due in August Apr 26, 2013, 15:20 jimnms

Soulburner wrote on Apr 26, 2013, 12:14:
Third person shooter? Back when it was a first person shooter I thought it was very interesting. Now... I don't.

That was pretty much my thoughts when I saw they were switching to 3rd person.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Morning Previews
3. Re: Morning Previews Apr 26, 2013, 02:48 jimnms

I played the first CoJ, and enjoyed most of it. I picked up the 2nd one in the bargain bin for $5 a long time ago, but never got around to playing it. It's on one of those ancient round shiny things I think they called a DVD.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Morning Patches
9. Re: Morning Patches Apr 26, 2013, 02:43 jimnms

ItBurn wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 10:51:
The real problem for me is that it doesn't have a main quest or just something that you have to complete. I like to mess around in an universe, but I need to know in the back of my mind that all of it will help in some meaningful way, like in solving the main quest later.

There is a main quest. Unless you pick the fighter ship, you get a message when you start the game telling you to to meet at a space station orbiting a planet somewhere. It's not far from where you start, but when I first played the game I was kind of overwhelmed and not sure what to do. I set the nav computer to the station and tried to go there only to be told it was too far for my jump drive. I assumed I needed to do some odd jobs and upgrade my ship first. After doing some jobs and mining asteroids and selling the stuff, I upgraded my ship, but still couldn't make the jump.

I went to the website and read the guide to understand better. You can make the planet at the start by just making multiple short jumps, or use the nearby jump gate thingy that takes you close. In the forums are some stick posts with info for new players that is full of good info, but also some spoilers.

From what I've done of the quest so far, it's just tutorial stuff like having you mine asteroids, clean solar arrays, deliver cargo, win a race, etc. I got to the combat part and of the quest and am stuck. I believe the game scales the mission's difficulty based on your ship's worth and how much money you have. I'm doing pretty good, as I have upgraded my ship, hired a couple of crew and have a good bit of pocket cash.

I watched a video tutorial of someone going through it, and when they get to the mission I'm on, they only have to deal with two weak enemy ships. For me I get three or four tougher ships, and they kick my ass. I can usually take out two of them, but my ship is not built for fighting, I wanted to explore and trade and and only have good enough weapons to defend myself and keep out of trouble.

I tried dozens of times before quitting. The location is random, and it's always three or four ships. I saved before accepting the contract, so I can reload until I get the one with only three ships. The closest I got was taking out two of them, but I had heavy damage. The location was near a space station, so i was able to retreat to the station and repair my ship. When I went back to where the enemy ships were, the last one had wondered off, and I couldn't finish the mission.

You can hire other ships to help you, and that's probably what I need to do to get through this mission. I've got the money to do it, but I'm such a tightwad. Now I feel like going back and trying again, but this time hiring an extra ship or two to help me out. I haven't played in a few months though, so it might take a few hours to get competent at it again.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Zeno Clash 2 Punchthrough Trailer
2. Re: Zeno Clash 2 Punchthrough Trailer Apr 26, 2013, 01:34 jimnms

I played the demo of the first one, liked it, and bought it when it went on sale for $10. That was 4 years ago, and I haven't gotten around to playing it though.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Ubuntu version 13.0.4 is now available Apr 26, 2013, 01:20 jimnms

When did they cut support to 9 months? I thought the non LTS releases were supported for 18 months.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Metro: Last Light PC Specifications
7. Re: Metro: Last Light PC Specifications Apr 19, 2013, 02:17 jimnms

I'm torn between pre-ordering it, because I'm pretty sure I'll like it (and GMG will probably have another 25% off code before it ships, best deal now is $13 GMG store credit with pre-order). At the same time, I know in a few months I can pick it up for half price, and it's not like I have a shortage of stuff to play. If they're going to go the DLC route and shovel a bunch of it out, I'd rather wait until it's "done" and pick it all up at once. I haven't heard anything about DLC for this yet though.

I got a Steam key for the first one free with a video card (GTX 260 I think). I remember being able to play it on high with a few things turned down/off. According to the specs on this one I just meet the recommended specs.

I enjoyed the first one. I wanted to play it a second time because I didn't know it had multiple endings, and I wanted to try and get the "good" ending.

I had a couple of complaints about the game though. The game uses high quality pre-war bullets as currency and you can also use them since they do more damage, but it needed a separate key to swap between the two types. To swap between them you hold the reload key instead of tapping it. Once during an intense fight I held the reload key too long and swapped to my "money" and used them all up. I didn't realize it until I got to the next settlement and didn't have any "money" to buy stuff.

I like the effect you get when your air filter is getting clogged, but I assumed when I swapped to a new one, the old one was tossed. This apparently wasn't so, and the game didn't let you know this. When I was stocking up at a settlement before heading out to the next part, I had plenty of filters in my inventory, or so I thought. I had one or two good ones and the rest were the used ones with hardly any time left on them. I struggled through that section, having to run to the end without a filter on. I didn't get to explore that part because of that.

Steam Profile

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Apr 18, 2013, 05:01 jimnms

The Dungeons & Dragons Anthology: The Master Collection is on sale @ GamersGate for $6.78. It includes:

Baldur’s Gate 1 & 2 + Expansions
Icewind Dale 1 & 2 + Expansions
Planescape: Torment
The Temple of Elemental Evil

Fuck, I just bought these same exact games on GOG's sale last week for $17.30.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
4. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 17, 2013, 22:31 jimnms

I've heard that, when you're in a situation where lots of people are placing phone calls, it's often easier to get a text message through...
Yes. It's much better. The SMS messages have a relatively light footprint, first of all. The second thing is that they're asynchronous. If they can't get through this instant, they keep trying. If it gets over the radio to the cell site, it will get through.

Why do cell providers charge more for text messaging? It would cost me $4 a month more to add unlimited text to my plan. Without the unlimited plan, it's 20 cents per text, and I don't do enough texting to to make that $4/mo. cheaper.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Skyrim Development Ends; Bethesda on to "Next Adventure"
50. Re: Skyrim Development Ends; Bethesda on to Apr 15, 2013, 19:36 jimnms

ItBurn wrote on Apr 15, 2013, 14:09:
FO3 was an amazing game and I liked it better than NV like many other people. It was ghastly if you were a fallout 1-2 fan and expected a clone of these, because it's a completely different game.

As for the new engine. On one hand, yes, their engine is super old. On the other, it runs AMAZING and it's getting pretty decent looking now. If they start over with a new engine, a lot of effort will be put into implementing the base system and a lot less effort will be put into adding amazing features. Also, if they reuse the old engine, but use the next gen ressources, I'm sure they can do a major leap in graphics and world complexity.

As a fan of the first two Fallout games, I thought FO3 was a good story set in the Fallout universe, but so much seemed unfinished and half assed about it. The main quest was linear, with only one set path. You had no say in what direction you wanted to go, your only option was to do as you were told, no alternatives. Many side quests were linear as well, with a few having one or more alternatives.

There were so many things wrong with FO3, it was almost as if the designers never played the originals. Whoever had the boneheaded idea to make ammo weightless should never be involved in designing another RPG again.

What Bethesda did right in FO3 was the world design, but then they failed hard with the quests taking place in only a small part of this wonderfully designed world. I love the setting of FO3 so much more than FNV. With it being so good, it still had so many little things wrong. It's been 200 years since the bombs fell, but you come across so many places that are untouched. Seriously, after 200 years you shouldn't find a convenient store fully stocked with food.

For FO4, let Bethesda pick the setting and build the world, then hand it over to Obsidian to populate it with stories and quests.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: Evening Safety Dance Apr 13, 2013, 06:06 jimnms

Neither of my Win7 machines are having a problem. I wonder if I should uninstall the update anyway.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > No One Knows Who Owns NOLF
39. Re: No One Knows Who Owns NOLF Apr 7, 2013, 03:41 jimnms

I still have my NOLF 1 CD's, but I sold or traded NOLF2 to a friend, who sold or traded it with someone else. I'd get these on GOG if they were able to get them. If no one steps up and claims ownership, the developers or original publisher should get to decide what to do with them.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. FCC Broadband Definition Apr 5, 2013, 14:49 jimnms

Wow, so technically my cable service doesn't meet the current definition of broadband because they're stingy fuckers with the upload rate. I get 12Mbit down 512Kb up. They do offer faster plans, but the fastest plan (50Mbit) only gets 2Mbit upload.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Patch Tomorrow; Notes
2. Re: Borderlands 2 Patch Tomorrow; Notes Apr 2, 2013, 01:41 jimnms

Why do you have to play the game three times before they give you a mode that makes the game challenging? I played through the main story once already. It was way too easy, and I don't have any desire to do it again. I was usually 2-5 levels above the mission, and the rare occasion I was at or just below a mission, it was still easy.

After I finished, I started the pirate DLC. All of mission in it are set to level 30, but my character is level 36. After realizing I don't even have to shoot back, I can just run by enemies and they can't even take down my shields before it recharges, I got bored and quit.

Steam Profile

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Mar 29, 2013, 22:19 jimnms

The game requires Origin no matter where you buy it.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. OUYA Mar 28, 2013, 22:38 jimnms

I've been kind of "meh" about the whole OUYA thing, but for that price and having quite a bit of Android games already from Humble Bundles, I might pick one of these up.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Evening Screenshots
8. Re: Evening Screenshots Mar 28, 2013, 19:10 jimnms

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 22:21:
5 bucks says they pushed back the release so they could release it on the PS4 and 720.

But damn it's looking sexy.

Honestly, I wish they would wait for the next gen consoles. Then the game wouldn't be limited by 8 year old hardware.

Steam Profile

2150 Comments. 108 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo