Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2195 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Police Quest Creator's Kickstarter
13. Re: Police Quest Creator's Kickstarter Jul 16, 2013, 17:55 jimnms

I played the first PQ and loved it, though I don't think I ever beat it. I liked the old school Sierra point and click adventure games where you could lose the game if you missed something in the first 5 minutes of the game. Games these days don't let you lose.  

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > INSECTION Kickstarter
2. Re: INSECTION Kickstarter Jul 15, 2013, 22:16 jimnms

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 21:28:
What caused this nonsense where coop means a max of four players? I understand there was some console influence, with the Xbox(I think?) that could link 4 together, back in the day, but this is a PC/Mac only game... why is the cap 4 players here?

Full disclosure, I have no intention of contributing to this kickstarter, purely because I have a ton of other stuff backlogged already to play, but the 4 player limit jumped out at me here.

PS. Steam Sale is only partially winning the battle vs my finances so far.

Doom was limited to 4 players in coop and DM. Duke 3D also was limited to 4 player MP. I remember playing 4-player DM in Duke 3D, but I can't remember if it had coop.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 9, 2013, 11:02 jimnms

I found this interesting link that calculates how much time it will take you to play all of the Steam games you haven't played yet. Of course for older games released before Steam tracked your play time, it can't know that you've played and beaten them. Also some of the main story and completionist times seem way off.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Star Citizen Economy Trailer
38. Re: Star Citizen Economy Trailer Jul 8, 2013, 05:25 jimnms

Flatline wrote on Jul 8, 2013, 01:37:
I feel like a chump for *only* putting 60 or 80 or whatever it was towards this game back during kickstarter, when now that money could go towards a ship geared specifically towards the style of gameplay I might prefer to play.

It's a bullshit sucker punch and leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Not that there's anything I can do about it at this point.

You got a ship with your kickstarter. If I recall, the ship packages in the kickstarter were the same but cheaper as what they've offered on their site. Also, there is something you can do about it if you want a different ship, that was the point of the new site design. If you setup your account on the new site and link your kickstarter pledge, you can reclaim your current ship which will give you credit to change to a different ship.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Star Citizen Economy Trailer
24. Re: Star Citizen Economy Trailer Jul 7, 2013, 23:47 jimnms

Gnolt wrote on Jul 7, 2013, 13:28:
I really want to add that some people are going overboard with the ship "buying" stuff -- a month after launch and we will be hearing complaints of how little all that meant once you get a ways into the game - most likely the best actual ships and upgrades cannot be insured AND cannot be docked (corvettes i believe are the largest ship that can dock) so your guild must have 24 hour coverage to protect your high value assets that you have to leave "parked" in space -- also if you have the free hanger perk well it is only on the starter planet so you will have to fly back there to avoid being charged

Are you sure there are ships that can't dock with stations? They may bee too big to fit in a hangar, but they should still be able to dock with a space station, otherwise they'd have to have teleporters or shuttle craft, none of which I've read anything about. Either way I'd imagine for large ships that can't land on planets (or dock), then you need to park them in orbit around a planet in the heavily policed sectors.

This also brings up a good question of how the persistent universe servers handle disconnected players. From what I read on the instancing, if you're orbiting a highly populated planet, then there may be several different instances of this planet, so not all players would see you. If you're in orbit of this planet when you disconnect, will the PU server remove you from the universe? Also how will it handle people disconnecting if they get attacked? I'm sure all of this has been asked and answered on their forums.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Killing Floor: Free Week; Patch; Sale; More
4. Re: Killing Floor: Free Week; Patch; Sale; More Jul 4, 2013, 18:42 jimnms

Sacrifex wrote on Jul 4, 2013, 15:44:
I picked up the game a few sales back, but I was told the scene could be extremely vitriolic, so I never even went online with it. I have too many games left on the backlog to spend time getting yelled at when I'm trying to have fun.

Same reason I won't touch LoL, and the like.

Don't believe everything your told. I've had nothing but fun with the game playing online.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - The Walking Dead 400 Days
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - The Walking Dead 400 Days Jul 3, 2013, 18:57 jimnms

Is this the full 5 stories or just the first of the five? I'd rather wait for all of them to come out before picking it up if they're going to release them one at a time.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Final Sven Co-op for Half-Life
5. Re: Final Sven Co-op for Half-Life Jul 3, 2013, 16:29 jimnms

ItBurn wrote on Jul 3, 2013, 10:22:
Had tons of fun with this. Wish it was for HL2.

There are a couple of coop mods for HL2 that I've played before. Synergy is one that still gets updates, but there was another one I played a while back with a friend, but I can't think of the name.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Saints Row 4 "Low Violence" Edition Plans?
14. Re: Saints Row 4 Jul 2, 2013, 22:31 jimnms

Ozmodan wrote on Jul 2, 2013, 15:24:
Well if the dumb ass developers had half a sense of what not to put in a game like this, they would not have this problem. Despite the rating, kids in their early teens will be playing this, whether their parents know it or not. It is not an aussie problem, it is immature developers not recognizing limits.

I don't want my gaming experience changed because one country's stupid laws doesn't let adults make their own decisions. I thought Australia had finally grown up when it added the R18+ classification, but I guess not.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Jul 2, 2013, 22:16 jimnms

Whenever FTL goes on sale anywhere, the developer site matches it. You'll get both a DRM free download and a Steam key since it's sold through The Humble Store.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Saints Row 4 "Low Violence" Edition Plans?
6. Re: Saints Row 4 Jul 2, 2013, 13:48 jimnms

I saw a comment in another forum recently from Australians bitching about how games are more expensive in Aus. vs. the rest of the world. I imagine this is why. When developers have to rewrite their damn games to pass your nanny laws, you should have to pay more to cover the extra development costs.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > The Walking Dead: 400 Days Tomorrow
7. Re: The Walking Dead: 400 Days Tomorrow Jul 2, 2013, 13:42 jimnms

I only had one problem in the whole game series. It was in episode 2 I think, at the hotel. I thought I knew what I needed to do, but couldn't figure out to "tell" the game to do it. After several minutes of frustration I turned on the "cheat" that shows the click zones. It turned out that what I was trying to do was the right thing, but the click zone for what I was trying to do was not centered on the object I was trying to click (i.e. it was below and to the right of the object).  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards: Reloaded
16. Re: Ships Ahoy - Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards: Reloaded Jun 28, 2013, 20:50 jimnms

nin wrote on Jun 28, 2013, 12:23:
Well, space isn't really an issue, but 4 gig sounds a lot close to what I would have guessed than 8.

Just because storage is cheap isn't a reason to be lazy and not compress game assets. If that 4.35GB compresses down to 750MB, it wouldn't hurt to leave some of it compressed. I could live with a few seconds longer startup to save 3GB of disk space.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. Jun 28, 2013, 12:22 jimnms

Tumbler wrote on Jun 28, 2013, 11:26:
Origin serves little purpose other than an obstacle to play their games. It's not a big obstacle but if their website simply offered downloads of the games directly I can't say I'd miss origin.

You could say exactly the same thing about Valve. Can you name a place where I can buy a Valve game that doesn't require Steam?

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards: Reloaded
12. Re: Ships Ahoy - Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards: Reloaded Jun 28, 2013, 12:07 jimnms

nin wrote on Jun 28, 2013, 09:00:
I guess we'll see what it does when I (eventually) kick it off. The number I was seeing was on the screen where you double click the name of the game in your list and you get the popup about "this game requires X amount of space, space available: Y". Is that where you saw 4 gig?

Bizarre...

Yeah that's where it was. I knew from the KS update that it wasn't going to be available on Steam, but when I put the key in it looked like it was going to let me install it. When I clicked finish, it only downloaded a few KB, and when I checked the steamapps dir to see what it downloaded, it was just some jpg file.

Then later just past noon it began downloading the whole game, I guess it saw it as an update. The Steam download was only 760MB, but after install it's 4.35GB.

MeanJim on Steam

9. Re: Ships Ahoy - Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards: Reloaded Jun 28, 2013, 06:20 jimnms

nin wrote on Jun 27, 2013, 20:50:
Grabbed my code tonight from the KS - 8.7 gig on steam! Damn!

Something's wrong with that! I plugged in my Steam key this morning before it was available on Steam and it showed 4.3GB, but it wouldn't download. I grabbed DRM free download, which is only 750MB. Right after it was released at noon CDT, Steam began downloading it, and it only downloaded around 760MB. I just checked the directory in Steam and it is 4.35GB.

EDIT: Just out of curiosity extracted the DRM free installer and it is also 4.35GB. They could have kept some of the game files compressed to save disk space.

This comment was edited on Jun 28, 2013, 06:38.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steam Cards Leave Beta - Summer Sale Hint?
19. Re: Steam Cards Leave Beta - Summer Sale Hint? Jun 24, 2013, 20:33 jimnms

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 24, 2013, 14:07:
Alright -- someone give me the short version explanation of what these "Steam Trading Cards" are. I have not been paying attention.
It's a cheap cash grab for Valve. You can only earn half of the cards by playing the game. The rest you have to get by trading or buying them from the market (which Valve gets a cut).

I don't understand how it's supposed to work. If you can only unlock half the cards for a game, then how do you get the other half by actually trading them? If another person trades the half they have, then they can't unlock the badge. They did add booster packs, but it's a small chance to drop that goes up the higher your "level."

Once you collect all the cards and craft the badge, are the cards consumed or can you still trade them? I haven't collected a full set of cards to craft a badge, so I don't know. It would make since if you keep the cards after crafting the badge, otherwise it seems that only half of a game's owners can get the full set.

Oh and I still have two beta invites if anyone wants them.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance
99. Re: Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance Jun 23, 2013, 22:37 jimnms

Flatline wrote on Jun 23, 2013, 21:47:
In a sandbox environment "winning" more or less means "getting to do what you want".

If it takes X number of hours of boredom mining asteroids and hauling inexpensive freight from point A to point B in order to make enough money to afford a ship that lets you play how you want, and then someone else who wants to play the way you want to play pulls out a credit card and skips those X hours, I'd say that's "pay to win". Or if it wasn't a transaction, and it was say... a code or a hack, it'd be cheating. So how about instead of pay to win it's pay to cheat?

I'd call that PN2P (Pay Not to Play). They've mentioned several times on forum discussions that they don't want users to have to grind. You will still have to work your way up to afford better ships, but that journey should be a fun experience. If someone wants to drop a load of real money in the game to get a better starting ship, that's not going to have any effect on you, and that money goes to further expand the game for everyone. Citizenship and reputation can't be bought, so they still have to play the game to earn that.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steam Top 10
12. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 23, 2013, 21:50 jimnms

Creston wrote on Jun 23, 2013, 19:59:
The quests look the same no matter if they are main or side. The reason it's hard to find is because you just found a note when doing that fetch quest that says to meet someone in the inn at Riverwood. So go there and it should continue.

Creston

Ok, I've done that part too. I think that was one of the last things I did before I took a break.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steam Top 10
6. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 23, 2013, 17:43 jimnms

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 23, 2013, 17:17:
Ugh, regular skyrim is back in the top 10, or is that the Legendary version?

That's a good question since you can still buy the regular Skyrim for $30 vs $60 for the "Legendary Edition." I'm hoping the DLC will be on sale this summer, although I still need to finish the base game. I took a break from the game, but haven't gotten back to it yet.

While we're on the subject, might as well ask since I just thought of it. I fired up Skyrim a few weeks ago thinking of get back to it. I updated the mods I was using and added a few new ones, dicked around a bit, but that was it. I was looking in the journal to refresh my memory of where I was. I remember I had finished off some side quests, and decided it was at a good place to take a break. I haven't done much of the main quest, which I had planed to do when I returned from my break. I thought the main quests showed up in bold or somehow looked different than other quests in the journal, but they all look the same to me. Am I missing something or was I imagining things?

As far as the main quest, I think I only did about 3 parts of it past the first dragon killing. I went up the mountain to the old farts, did their fetch quest, and I think that was it. After that I just went off exploring and doing side quests.

MeanJim on Steam

2195 Comments. 110 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo