Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2247 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Fallout 4(?) "Nuclear Winter" Teased
23. Re: Fallout 4 Nov 22, 2013, 16:51 jimnms

Task wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 10:26:
The 2299 site has nothing to do with Fallout 4. The Bethesda people said so themselves, unless they lied.

The symbol below the countdown timer is the VaultTek logo. When the site first went up, looking at the source code for the page you would see it was running a javascript named fallout. They've since changed the page and the Morse code though.

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > RAGE Free Weekend
17. Re: RAGE Free Weekend Nov 22, 2013, 01:05 jimnms

Does this free weekend include the single player?  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 22, 2013, 00:59 jimnms

I would rather see Winamp die than go to Microsoft. Why can't they give it back to Nullsoft? I still use Winamp, and will use this last version until it no longer works, unless something better pops up before then.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Winamp Nov 20, 2013, 23:04 jimnms

I still use Winamp as my primary music player. I don't know why, but music played through it sounds better than anything else I've tried. Nothing is cooler than Winamp + MilkDrop. Who's going to whip the llama's ass now?  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Black Mesa Goes Commercial
31. Re: Black Mesa Goes Commercial Nov 20, 2013, 16:14 jimnms

Prez wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 13:03:
I never tried the Black Mesa mod because I wanted to wait for the remade Xen portion but it looks like the free version of that is never coming now. Oh well, the whole package will be able to be had for a pittance on a Steam sale sometime in the future - I'll wait til then I guess.

I didn't mind that they released it without the Xen levels. I don't know how many times I've played the original HL, but after the first time in the original and once more in HL:S, I've always stopped playing when I reach Xen.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within
57. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 13, 2013, 20:22 jimnms

InBlack wrote on Nov 13, 2013, 06:52:
jimnms wrote on Nov 13, 2013, 05:06:
Creston wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 11:50:
SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 10:00:
I did not get this expansion (canceled this preorder as well ) but I still had a 4Gb patch to download last night.
Not sure if they've made some changes to the main game as well?

They did. They fixed some bugs (teleport bug amongst others), made some optimizations (apparently) and I think the changes for the RNG were ported over to the original game as well.

Has there been an official patch notes detailing what was fixed? I never finished the game because it bugged out on me. I was getting conflicting hit chances depending on what I was looking at. The target icons on the bottom of the screen would show one value while when in targeting to take the shot I got another value. At first it was only effecting one particular soldier, then it spread to others and eventually my whole team. At first it was just only showing 1% chance on the icons, but seemed to be showing the correct percentage in targeting mode. Then it started showing two different values, so I had no idea which one was right.

I also had a soldier that was a reward for a mission that was bugged. He was a high ranked sniper, which I gave him squad sight. No matter what, he never had a shot at anything, it was like he was blind and couldn't see them, even when an enemy was in the open right in front of him.

I'll try firing this up this weekend and see if it fixed my game. I really hope I don't have to start over. While I made some regrettable decisions, with it being my first game, I think I was doing good and wanted to play it out.

Squad sight was bugged, but they fixed that in the first patch for the game.

I didn't buy the game on release. This is the first time since I bought it that I've seen a patch for it.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Wasteland 1 on GOG.com
10. Re: Wasteland 1 on GOG.com Nov 13, 2013, 20:14 jimnms

Mad Max RW wrote on Nov 13, 2013, 07:10:
GL1zdA wrote on Nov 13, 2013, 04:48:
Mad Max RW wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 21:31:
I already unlocked it on Steam and tends to crash a whole lot more than the old DOSBox version I've been playing for years.
They are still using DOSBox for this version.

I know. But for some reason this updated version is less stable. Even Brother None acknowledged it and they are working on a fix.

The wasteland.exe is some modified form of DOSBox. I just rooted around in the game directory and noticed the original DOS files are in the \Wasteland\ROM\Data directory, but the wl.exe is in \Wasteland\ROM. If you copy/move wl.exe to the Data directory you can run the original DOS version with DOSBox. You don't get any of the new features like in-game paragraphs or VO though.

I tried using DOSBox command line options with the wasteland.exe, but it doesn't respond to them. The DOSBox hot keys also don't work, like pressing CTRL-F10 to release the mouse. I was hoping to be able to use command line options or a dosbox.cfg to make it run windowed by default without disabling Aero, and be able to release the mouse.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within
44. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 13, 2013, 05:06 jimnms

Creston wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 11:50:
SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 10:00:
I did not get this expansion (canceled this preorder as well ) but I still had a 4Gb patch to download last night.
Not sure if they've made some changes to the main game as well?

They did. They fixed some bugs (teleport bug amongst others), made some optimizations (apparently) and I think the changes for the RNG were ported over to the original game as well.

Has there been an official patch notes detailing what was fixed? I never finished the game because it bugged out on me. I was getting conflicting hit chances depending on what I was looking at. The target icons on the bottom of the screen would show one value while when in targeting to take the shot I got another value. At first it was only effecting one particular soldier, then it spread to others and eventually my whole team. At first it was just only showing 1% chance on the icons, but seemed to be showing the correct percentage in targeting mode. Then it started showing two different values, so I had no idea which one was right.

I also had a soldier that was a reward for a mission that was bugged. He was a high ranked sniper, which I gave him squad sight. No matter what, he never had a shot at anything, it was like he was blind and couldn't see them, even when an enemy was in the open right in front of him.

I'll try firing this up this weekend and see if it fixed my game. I really hope I don't have to start over. While I made some regrettable decisions, with it being my first game, I think I was doing good and wanted to play it out.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Wasteland 1 on GOG.com
6. Re: Wasteland 1 on GOG.com Nov 13, 2013, 04:07 jimnms

As a Wasteland 2 backer, I chose to redeem my WL2 GOG. I think it's pretty damn awesome that they were able to do this and update the game to add the text and voice over, however, it's not without its problems. It runs full screen, and seems to stretched even though I have my GPU set to preserve aspect ratio of full screen games. Pressing ALT-Enter will switch to windowed mode, but it doesn't release control of the mouse. I've tried pressing ALT-TAB, but I the only way I can get it to release the mouse is to go full screen and back to windowed. In full screen the mouse is crazy sensitive, but not as bad windowed. I also don't like that it disables Aero in windowed mode. I haven't had any problems with it yet, but I haven't played it for very long.

I have played the original in DOSBox without problems, and it runs fine windowed without disabling Aero themes.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
8. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 9, 2013, 23:00 jimnms

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 9, 2013, 01:30:
May I just add here, the new youtube comment thing fucking sucks.
+1

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
15. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 8, 2013, 14:01 jimnms

Beamer wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 19:49:
jimnms wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 19:43:
jacobvandy wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 12:19:
Beamer wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 11:05:
IE also takes up multiple instances in your task manager, with no real way of knowing what any are. Chrome and FF only start one

No that's Chrome; I have like a dozen instances right now just looking at one tab. I launched IE for a minute and it had two.

In IE, that's an option that defaults to off (at least in the last version of IE I used). If I remember correctly, it's called open new windows/tabs in new process or something like that.

You're also confusing instances on the task bar with instances in the task manager.

No, I know what you are talking about. When you open another IE window or tab it spawns another instance of iexplorer.exe. That is an option in IE that used to default to off, but the last version of IE I used was whatever comes pre-installed with Win7. I never really even used that, but I have uninstalled IE from my machines though.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
11. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 7, 2013, 19:43 jimnms

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 12:19:
Beamer wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 11:05:
IE also takes up multiple instances in your task manager, with no real way of knowing what any are. Chrome and FF only start one

No that's Chrome; I have like a dozen instances right now just looking at one tab. I launched IE for a minute and it had two.

In IE, that's an option that defaults to off (at least in the last version of IE I used). If I remember correctly, it's called open new windows/tabs in new process or something like that.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
4. Re: Saturday Metaverse Nov 3, 2013, 04:49 jimnms

nin wrote on Nov 2, 2013, 13:27:
What issue are you seeing? The only thing that drives me nuts about YT right now is having to manually set the screen rez on every video, instead of a global setting saved somewhere (or am I missing one???).

There is, sort of, but since the change to the site a few days ago it seems to do what it wants. Why the fuck did they condense all of the screen size options under one icon. It's not like there was a lack of room. Now it's thee clicks to change anything where before it was one. Also when switching to full screen it seems to want to play out what is already buffered before changing to HD, which on a lot of videos is the half or more of it. It used to switch within a few seconds, but now I have to switch to full screen, then back the video up, and even that doesn't work every time. If a video is embedded on another site, you can put it full screen and it starts out playing HD, so why can't we get that to work on YouTube itself?

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Valve: Steam Offline Mode "Designed to be Indefinite"
38. Re: Valve: Steam Offline Mode Nov 2, 2013, 17:57 jimnms

Suppa7 wrote on Nov 2, 2013, 01:11:
jimnms wrote on Nov 2, 2013, 01:03:
At home I've played Portal 2 and Civ V on the LAN using the same account with one client set offline, and both of those use Steamworks for MP. After going offline, you have to go in the Settings/Friends and change the profile name to something different.

I'm sorry but you are misremembering, people don't complain about non-existent problems. You connected to the internet at some point and didn't have those boxes off for 3 months. Or some of those games do not have the forced internet login option turned on in steamworks. I can post screenshots if you wan't. I took screenshots when it happened for people like you who claim steam isn't DRM and doesn't lock out games.

I'm not misremembering anything. I set a firewall rule on the 2nd PC to block Steam from accessing the internet so my niece won't accidentally go online, which would knock me offline. Steam has stayed offline for months and never once forced me to go online. The only time that PC is turned on is when she comes over and plays a game on it. It stays off for weeks at a time, sometimes over a month.

I can play games on a LAN just fine with Steam offline. The QuakeCon BYOC LAN party lasts 4 days, and very few people had a problem. Those that did have a problem either forgot to set it to offline mode before packing up or tried to go online with it, which won't work.

Offline Steam also works without manually setting it offline, though if you know you're going to be offline for a while it's best to set it offline manually. Last year when hurricane Issac hit, I lost power for a couple of days, but I was without internet for a week. I didn't set Steam offline because I live far enough inland that we didn't expect more than a lot of rain. I didn't have any trouble with Steam or any Steam games during that time.

No one is saying Steam isn't DRM, although not every game on Steam uses Steam's DRM. There are a lot of DRM free games sold on Steam that you can run without Steam by launching the game's .exe.

I also never said Steam didn't have problems with offline mode before. I pointed out that one time they did introduce a bug that broke offline mode completely and took their sweet time fixing it too. That was a year or more ago, and I haven't had any recent problems with it on any of my systems.

Your conspiracy that Steam is spying on you when set offline is false. The firewall logs connection attempts by blocked programs, and I see no attempt by Steam to connect since it has been offline on the 2nd PC. You don't get achievements when offline, and any game time played while offline isn't recorded to your account when you go back online.

MeanJim on Steam

24. Re: Valve: Steam Offline Mode Nov 2, 2013, 01:03 jimnms

Suppa7 wrote on Nov 1, 2013, 23:44:
Slashman wrote on Nov 1, 2013, 23:36:
Suppa7 wrote on Nov 1, 2013, 22:41:
No it's them PR'ing covering their ass. It has a specific month timer, if you don't login to steam for a month you can't go into offline mode.

I know because I've encountered it. It's WAY TOO specific to be a bug, it's a DRM feature to ensure that gabe can monitor your playtime when you play offline games.

So why doesn't everyone get it?

Because most people don't ever shut off their computers for a month and try to play a game. You have to try to play a game in offline mode without ever once opening steam while you had internet. If you once opened steam while connected to the net, steam resets the timer.

It's not like it matters too much with cracks, but still it's just more evidence steamware is crapware. There is no reason you shouldn't ever be able to play LAN games without an internet connection for instance. Steamworks prevents that because it is DRM.

** I should note it doesn't apply to all games, but 90% of games on steam where the developer chose deep steamworks integration. Any game that won't start without logging into steam (which is quite a bit).

My second PC had Steam offline for 3 months or more without ever asking to connect, and like I said in my previous post, it's blocked from accessing the internet through the firewall to prevent my niece from accidentally going online.

I've been to QuakeCon three times and set Steam to offline before going. They do have an Internet connection at the BYOC, but Steam doesn't work when you have 3000+ people trying to connect from the same external IP address. If you don't set Steam offline before shutting your system down and packing it up, you're SOL unless you have a phone you can tether to it, or find someone there that will let you use theirs. I played TF2, L4D and many other games on the LAN with Steam offline.

At home I've played Portal 2 and Civ V on the LAN using the same account with one client set offline, and both of those use Steamworks for MP. After going offline, you have to go in the Settings/Friends and change the profile name to something different.

MeanJim on Steam

23. Re: Valve: Steam Offline Mode Nov 2, 2013, 00:44 jimnms

Frijoles wrote on Nov 1, 2013, 20:38:
jimnms wrote on Nov 1, 2013, 20:00:
I had to set a firewall rule to block Steam so she wouldn't accidentally click to go online and knock me off.

Wonder if the Family Sharing thing will fix this completely for you, since you could both be online.. I think. I haven't gotten in to the beta yet.

I'm hoping that's the case. I'll have to create another Steam account though, but I've been thinking of creating one for her and activating these extra keys from bundles that I have. A lot of the games she plays are from bundles, so I just installed the DRM free versions of those, but there are some games that require Steam.

MeanJim on Steam

5. Re: Valve: Steam Offline Mode Nov 1, 2013, 20:00 jimnms

It seems like sometimes they don't care about fixing offline mode bugs. I have Steam on two computers at home, one is set to offline so my niece can play games when she comes over. On my main PC I set it to offline mode before I run a backup. Once they completely broke offline mode and took over a month to fix it. I made sure not to go online on the other PC until it was fixed.

On the other PC, once set to offline mode it used to start in offline mode without any prompt. I had to put it online to get an update, and it updated the Steam client. Now when Steam starts it prompts to go online or continue in offline. I had to set a firewall rule to block Steam so she wouldn't accidentally click to go online and knock me off.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Indie Dev Says People Stole 30,000 Steam Keys From Him Nov 1, 2013, 19:51 jimnms

People are dicks. I got one of their games (Gemini Rue) in a bundle, then bought the rest on GOG, on sale of course. Hopefully the free game will generate sales for them.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Arma 3 Campaign Release
13. Re: Arma 3 Campaign Release Nov 1, 2013, 16:29 jimnms

Moog wrote on Nov 1, 2013, 08:34:
Very disappointed that the campaign is SP only - was really looking forward to some decent co-op play
I never actually finished the OFP campaign, or even started ArmA 1 or 2's campaigns. I went straight into the editor creating my own and playing other custom missions.

If ArmA3 is like previous BIS titles, you can unpack the mission files and edit them to add MP slots. I did it with some of the original OFP missions, even changing it so you could play from the other side.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Released, Reviewed
52. Re: Battlefield 4 Released, Reviewed Oct 30, 2013, 08:33 jimnms

I loaded it up and played the test map for a little bit this morning. It's nice that they put that in so you can practice flying before getting in a game. When I got home tonight I thought I'd run through the SP real quick, since BF3's SP was only about 3 hours long. I still don't think the BF series needed SP, but this is 1000x better than BF3's SP. Four hours later I wasn't even half way through. I wish they'd kept the coop missions in, those were kind of fun.

The performance is much better than the Beta. I'm running it on Ultra with a Core i5 750 @ Stock 2.66GHz and a GTX 660OC. I might have to bump it down to high for MP because there are quite a few places where I notice the frame rate dropping. One bug they didn't fix from the beta is the damn B key opening then console.

Also, during the SP, your team mates will tell you to look for something, then the hint deal tells me to hold a key to enter tactical view, then press another key to zoom. Holding the key lowers my weapon and doesn't seem to do anything else, and pressing the other key does nothing. I looked in the key bindings to see what key was bound to by default and tried binding it to something else, but it still does nothing.

MeanJim on Steam

2247 Comments. 113 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo