Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2195 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Beta Preloads
13. Re: Battlefield 4 Beta Preloads Sep 30, 2013, 13:25 jimnms

I wish EA would give BF3 owners an "upgrade" discount. I like BF3, but BF4 feels more like an expansion than a new game. I honestly I don't feel I've gotten my money's worth out of BF3 yet, so I'm not dropping another $40-60 on BF4. I pre-ordered BF3 ($42 from Amazon), and I think I played the pre-order map twice because few servers ran it and those that did were usually empty. I then picked up the rest of the DLC from Amazon during the xmas sale, but have played very few of those maps as well.

I would pre-order BF4 right now if it were $30, otherwise I'll wait and hope enough people stick to BF3 until BF4's price drops under $30.

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Sep 29, 2013, 14:16 jimnms

I haven't played Freeciv in a while. It's come a long way since the first time I tried it. Way back then the AI was way too good. I remember starting a game and getting lucky to have a continent to myself. The first AI I met showed up next to a coastal city in a battle ship while I'm still in the medieval era. The last time I played it though it was much more polished.

I really like some of the diplomatic things they've put in the game, and wish the Civilization series would borrow some. For instance, in Civilization, you're either at war or peace. When you end a war, you have a peace treaty that lasts so many turns, and you can't go back to war until that treaty expires.

In Freeciv, to end a war you first have to negotiate a cease fire, which lasts so many turns. At any time during the cease fire, you or the AI can break the cease fire and go back to war. If the cease fire period ends, you either go back to war or to the next step toward peace. I forget what the next step is called, but it's supposed to be used to withdraw your military units from the other civ's territory because any units left in the other civs territory when a peace treaty is signed are disbanded (rather than magically teleported like in Civilization). Once again though, you or the AI can always go back to fighting, but if the turn time runs out without breaking out in war again, then a peace treaty is signed.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
2. Re: Sunday Mobilization Sep 29, 2013, 13:20 jimnms

If it works like other Android popup boxes, you should be able to tap outside the box to cancel.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Rising Storm: Free Island Assault Pack and Free Weekend
6. Re: Rising Storm: Free Island Assault Pack and Free Weekend Sep 27, 2013, 17:56 jimnms

Perfect timing. I have the weekend all to myself and was thinking I'd do some MP gaming tonight. I was thinking BF3, but I think I'll fire this up instead. I played it quite a bit during the beta, and liked it enough that I pre-ordered it. I played a few hours of it after release, but haven't done much of any MP gaming lately.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Steam's Skyrim DLC Blunder Sep 25, 2013, 15:41 jimnms

I haven't seen any mention on any news sites about Steam's blunder the other day of giving everyone online at the time the Skyrim DLC Dawnguard, even to those that didn't own Skyrim. If your Steam client was online Monday between ~7pm and 9pm CST it should have downloaded it whether you have Skyrim or not.

I was about to shut down my PC at 8pm when I saw it downloading. It was showing a ~700MB download for Skyrim, but nothing was in the news section about it. Checking the forums people had noticed it was the Dawnguard DLC and were wondering if it was either being given away or a mistake. The store page showed I owned it, and it showed as being owned in the DLC tab for Skyrim as well. It also showed that all of my friends owned it, even though they don't all own Skyrim. About an hour later it no longer showed I owned it, but it didn't delete the files. I went ahead and deleted them myself just to be safe, and I still plan to buy the DLC when there's a good sale on it.

Some people that don't own Skyrim said that it did download the files, so if you don't have Skyrim check your SteamApps directory for a Skyrim directory containing the files. The download was ~700MB, but it's about 1.2GB installed.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Takedown: Red Sabre
9. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Takedown: Red Sabre Sep 22, 2013, 00:43 jimnms

Prez wrote on Sep 21, 2013, 22:03:
From the sound of things they may have released too early. My guess is they ran out of money - iirc they asked for very little money during the kickstarter. Come to think of it I backed this way back when. I wonder how to get my copy now that it's finished. Sort of...

You should have gotten an email with your Steam key and a code for the pre-order map (which doesn't work). I backed this on Kickstarter also, it was the first game I ever backed too. I'm a bit bummed by its current state.

I had hoped they accidentally released the wrong version since it installs to a directory called "Takedown Early Access," but they haven't come out and said they released the wrong version. Something must have gotten messed up between the alpha build Kickstarters got to play and release because the AI wasn't like this in the alpha.

They didn't make the game on the Kickstarter funds alone. Their goal for the Kickstarter campaign was to:
...bring TAKEDOWN to Alpha. Private investors are lined up, but unsure of the market for an old-school tac shooter. A successful Kickstarter campaign will convince them that this is a viable market.

They did secure funding from other investors. The same company behind Payday 2 published it, so I don't know why they rushed it out in the state it is in. And they definitely didn't need to waste time and money on THIS "feature."

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. GIMP version 2.8.6. Sep 16, 2013, 15:31 jimnms

That site is a bit behind the times. GIMP 2.8.6 has been out for nearly 3 months.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Dishonored: Game of the Year Edition Next Month
9. Re: Dishonored: Game of the Year Edition Next Month Sep 13, 2013, 22:56 jimnms

Guess I should have waited. I grabbed it and the DLC available during the summer sale for something like $12 total. I didn't know they were going to release more DLC for it, then follow up with a GOTY. Even though it's currently next on my to play list, I wouldn't have minded waiting a bit longer to get it all in one package, on sale of course.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > DayZ Video Blog
13. Re: DayZ Video Blog Sep 9, 2013, 18:02 jimnms

Jerykk wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 02:59:
DayZ was already using ArmA2 as a base. Porting it over to ArmA3 would have taken a lot more work.
The work would have been worth it.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > etc.
13. Re: GOG Linux Sep 9, 2013, 17:53 jimnms

Kristian Joensen wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 07:59:
Ehhm.... the ports are already done. GOG is just the distributor. The port for say The Book of Unwritten Tales already exists and is currently being distributed on Steam. GOG only needs to upload some files to their servers, they do NOT need to do any porting work themselves.

I don't know how they do their mac installer, but GOG uses custom installers for the Windows titles, even new releases. One thing I don't like about the GOG installer on Windows is that (at least for the games I own from them) it sets up compatibility flags in Windows to run it as administrator, which is completely unnecessary if you install the game outside of Program Files.

They didn't used to do this until the v2 installer, which they've just about updated every game to use. They also broke Fallout 2, and they still haven't fixed it. It now puts a goglauncher.exe file and sets the shortcut that launches the game to call it. The launcher doesn't work and throws an error. Once you get past that, they still have the game's .exe set with a run as admin compatibility flag. It's not necessary, and runs just fine without it. They're also shipping it with a mod installed, which caused graphical problems for me until I removed it.

I just took a peek in the forums and there are still a lot of new posts about these problems, and the solution is to not run it with the GOG shortcut and remove or update the mod.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > DayZ Video Blog
10. Re: DayZ Video Blog Sep 9, 2013, 00:44 jimnms

I don't understand why they didn't go with the ArmA III engine for this. There were already early videos of ArmA III before they announced they were doing a stand alone game.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: GOG Linux Sep 8, 2013, 18:45 jimnms

That seems a bit odd considering their stance on DRM. Linux is basically a DRM free OS, where Mac OS and Windows both contain DRM (activations, tying activation keys to hardware, etc.).  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
6. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Sep 7, 2013, 18:24 jimnms

Harlequin wrote on Sep 7, 2013, 14:03:
Until they remove the draconian DRM they have put in PSP since ver 11 (vr 10 the last 'clean' version which is what I use) I refuse to support(upgrade) Corel or their products anymore. Sad really because PSP was a great, cost effective alternative to Adobe with 90% of the same features.

They added the DRM BS in PSP 10, or PSP X I think they called it. I bought it at version 4 and every upgrade through version 9. They lost me as a customer after that. I still have my PSP 9 backed up, but I quit using it a long time ago. Now I use a combo of IrfanView, GIMP and Paint.NET.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
14. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 7, 2013, 00:47 jimnms

nin wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 08:50:
Then I found out that WinAmp has a plugin that can sync to iPods. I still use WinAmp to play music, so I tried it and it worked.

Huh! I didn't know that...and I still use winamp, too. Is that included in the free versions, or one you have to buy (which, since I've used it forever, I guess I shouldn't be averse to)? Can you do custom playlists as well?

Might have to check that out - thank you!

I use the free version, and I believe the plugin is built in or installed by default. I don't know about doing playlists, since it was an iPod shuffle it doesn't do playlists, it plays everything by random (which is how 99.935% of the time I listen to my music).

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Sep 6, 2013, 02:15 jimnms

We had a cricket explosion here a long time ago. It was insane, they were covering the streets, and cars just rolling over them making crunchy noises. Then the little town I went to college at there was a grass hopper invasion. They weren't the little common ones, these were huge 3-4 inch fuckers. The seemed to be smart enough to stay out of the street and off the sidewalks where they'd get crushed, but they covered buildings and parked cars. And they fly around so fast and being so big, it hurt like hell if one hit you. Luckily they only hung around for a couple of days before moving on.  

MeanJim on Steam

9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 6, 2013, 01:24 jimnms

nin wrote on Sep 5, 2013, 14:20:
I've never been a huge fan of itunes...I tried media monkey recently, and found that when I synced, it would basically hang on the last step, to the point where I'd have to unplug the phone and hope it worked...

My niece got an iPod shuffle for Xmas a couple of years ago. She brought it to me and a stack of CDs for me to put music on it. I currently have a couple of Sandisk players and just use WMP to sync to them, so I plugged in her iPod and just assumed I could use WMP to sync to it. Fuck apple and their BS only supported syncing to it from iTunes. I refused to put iTunes on my system and have it take over my music collection, so I had to look for an alternative. I already use a couple of Linux distros in Virtual Box, and was about to see if I could do it in Linux. Then I found out that WinAmp has a plugin that can sync to iPods. I still use WinAmp to play music, so I tried it and it worked. The only problem is that the shuffle doesn't have a display, instead it has a button to push and it's supposed to speak the song title and artist. That doesn't work, which I assume because it's something iTunes can only do.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Borderlands 2 DLC Next Week; GotY Edition Planned?
28. Re: Borderlands 2 DLC Next Week; GotY Edition Planned? Aug 28, 2013, 20:48 jimnms

nin wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 12:03:
I don't recall the exact timeframe, but on my last playthrough, it seemed like they'd come after me once a day...

Maybe it is a 24h cool down. They don't spawn on a fixed schedule though. After the cool down period expires it's just a random chance that they'll spawn when transitioning into certain cells.

One thing I missed from FO3 were the random encounters. There's a mod that adds those back to FNV. It's customizable with MCM too. I had to disable it because it caused the game to lock up when traveling between Good Springs and Primm. It was a mod I added mid to late game, so it could have been a conflict with other mods I had added/removed.

Creston wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 14:02:
I think that perk only allows you to do magazines, not skill books?

There's two different ones. There is a perk that lets you make magazines, but one of the DLC that adds a recipe for books. I never hunt for books, if I find one I read it and take my skill points, but I don't do like some people and get a list of all the book locations and go collect them. I didn't use the recipes, so I'm not exactly sure how it worked. I know there were recipes for each book that you could get. I think it required 25 or something pre-war books, the clean kind, not the dirty or burnt ones, so initially its use was limited. But that book machine in OWB can be used to convert dirty and burnt books into clean books, basically giving you an almost unlimited supply of books to use for the recipe.

Creston wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 14:02:
They're not an issue anymore now as my sniper wastes them before they ever get close, but at level 6 I thought it was a tiny bit retarded. (even more so because the reason the Legion was mad at me was because I killed their small group that burned nipton to the ground, and nobody was there to watch it. How exactly did you know it was ME that did it? Fucking Caesar. He died screaming.)

Yeah I never liked how the factions instantly knew of your bad deeds. That's one thing I liked in Skyrim was that if you committed a crime without witnesses, there would be no bounty. If the crime was witnessed, but you eliminated the witness(es) before they could report to a guard, then there was no bounty. I hope they do something like that for the next Fallout with faction relations.

MeanJim on Steam

25. Re: Borderlands 2 DLC Next Week; GotY Edition Planned? Aug 28, 2013, 12:01 jimnms

Creston wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 00:44:
I don't think it really was all that balanced out of the box. Even with the perk every other level, you become basically immortal (with Vanilla play) by level 15, with only Deathclaws still being somewhat of a challenge (and then only until you reach the Gun Runner's shop and buy a 50 caliber rifle.)

Sure, you can max more skills with the extra levels, but what does it matter when the only skills you actively need are

1) A weapon skill
2) Speech (to help you get through 80% of the quests.)

Every other skill just makes things easier, but isn't vital.

Every game made with that particular engine, be it Fallout, FNV, Oblivion, Skyrim, whatever, turns into a piece of cake once you get through the first 30-40% or so. (in FNV you basically just have to get to Novac. Get Boone, game over. Or rather, challenge over.)

If I remember, the vanilla FNV with an IN of 10 and the educated perk, you could only expect to max out 4 or 5 skills. The DLC would almost double that. That's not counting skill books, and with one of them basically giving you a skill book printing press you can easily max out everything.

nothing that changes the game play. I'm also going to use the JSawyer mod.

That actually changes gameplay a bit. I also really recommend Project Nevada, because it actually makes the game harder.

I meant that I don't want to use mods that add a bunch of new content like weapons, perks, quests, locations etc. I want to keep the game close to vanilla, just tweak it and make it tougher. I considered PN, just the core, but it basically does what JSawer's mod does.

Btw, tip to the wise: Avoid pissing off the Legion (or the NCR) until you're level 15 or so. After the latest patch, they buffed the assassins they send after you, and they're fucking insane. I was level 6 when I got four level 15 assassins after my ass. Reloaded that battle approximately 30 times. I once managed to kill 3 until the 4th killed me. Even lowering it to Very Easy was still a slog to get through it.

5 minutes later, I got another group. Yay.

In addition to them being ridiculously hard for low-level characters, they pack godly level weapons. So I had a .44 magnum and a Bush Gun at level 7... That's a tad overpowered...

I'm also walking around now with 80,000 caps because I get a group of four walking ATMs every 10-15 minutes.

They shouldn't be coming that often unless you have a mod that increases it. I think there's a cool down of 3 game days before there's a chance for another one to spawn. I was using a time scale of 12, which makes one game day equal to 2 real time hours. The default time scale is 30, which makes one game day go by in 48 minutes. But yeah, at later levels, with the quality of weapons they carry, you're getting 10,000 caps of loot from each hit squad. Of course playing the game with a lower carry weight is going to mean leaving most, if not all of that behind.

There's always a slight stutter in the game when they spawn. I got to know this stutter well. As soon as it happens, crouch into sneak mode. There's usually one Legion guy that runs ahead of the others, he's weaker than the others, so a sneak critical head shot will kill him. The others will panic and flee for a bit, then wander around idle. You can hunt them down and pick them off or just avoid them.

If you change the time scale, you also have to adjust the hardcore rates. It's odd because as you use a lower time scale, it causes the hardcore needs to increase. I didn't notice this because the first thing I did on my first game was set the time scale to 12. It wasn't until I added a dynamic time scale mod in my last game I noticed it. I switched to another time scale mod that was supposed to dynamically adjust the hardcore rates too. I ended up having problems with it and just went back to a fixed time scale of 12.

That's another thing I'm not going to do on my next game is add/change mods during the game. On my last game I sort of modded it as I played. This caused a few problems later on, so once I pick what mods I'm using for the next game, I'm not changing anything.

I liked OWB at first, but it seemed to drag on too long. I actually began to wish it would be over with so I could go back to the Mojave Desert. Lonesome Road I will pretend never happened.

I actually felt the same about OWB, especially because I was level 45 when I went there, and everything had 600+ hitpoints. Scorpions that can take five shots from a .50 cal rifle are just retarded. (even more fun are the Cazadors with 500+ hitpoins...)

Project nevada has now rebalanced the DLC, so hopefully it'll be less retarded.

Haven't played Lonesome Road yet, planned to do it on this playthrough. is it that bad?

I never used the .50 in the game. I had one, fully moded and various ammo types, but I left it in my player home. The weight of the rifle and ammo just wasn't worth carrying it. The sniper rifle with it's higher critical chance and critical damage, loaded with JSP hand loads was more effective and weighed a lot less. With a silencer and a sneak attack critical it could bring down a death claw with one head shot and not alert his buddies.

I think I was around level 25 when I played OWB. Another thing I didn't like about the FNV DLC is that in addition to the level cap increase, the XP gained in the DLC scaled up with your level. It basically guaranteed that you leveled up at least 5 times in the course of the DLC. JSawyer's mod reduces the XP rewards from the DLC. Since I'll be playing an energy weapon character next, I really should visit OWB. I played it to completion last time, so if I do play it, I'll just rush through the main quest and leave. I'm also going to use a mod that allows all of the DLC weapons to be sold by vendors and gives a chance for NPCs to spawn with them, so I still may skip it.

Since you haven't played Lonesome Road, I can't explain why I didn't like it without spoiling it. The map is linear, but there are a few places where you can go off the beaten path and discover some secrets. But I kind of liked the map, so that wasn't why I didn't like the DLC.

MeanJim on Steam

22. Re: Borderlands 2 DLC Next Week; GotY Edition Planned? Aug 27, 2013, 23:09 jimnms

Creston wrote on Aug 27, 2013, 11:03:
Yeah, it's pretty terrible. My Siren already has every useful power maxed out, and in fact already had them maxed out since level 55 IIRC. So yay, 12 new levels of useless powers, and (let's face it) useless health upgrades.

Since I'm replaying FONV at the moment, there's a good example of doing it right. Increase level cap by 5 per DLC, AND give new perks for those higher levels (as well as some new perks for lower levels.)

BL did it the wrong way.

I felt that raising the level cap in FNV ruined the balance of the game. One of FO3's flaws was that even the vanilla game gave too many skill points. It was already possible to max out all skills, but then the Broken Steel DLC raised the level cap and made it possible to max out all skills even before reaching the level cap, which would cause the game to freeze on the level up screen if you had maxed them out. On PC there was a console command to get through it, but if you played it on a console, you were screwed.

FNV was almost perfectly balanced out of the box, then they had to go and ruin it with the level cap increases with the DLC. I just finished a game a few months ago, which was my first time playing it with DLC. I think my character had an IN of 6 at the start, then I bought the implant from the clinic to make it 7. Then you get +2 IN when starting Old World Blues, but you lose 1 IN (which is still +1 from before starting) if you chose to have your brain put back in place of the implants. By the time I hit the level cap of 50 I had maxed out all but 3 skills.

I have a plan to play it at least once more. I'm going to leave the DLC enabled, but put the level cap back to 30 (and not by taking that stupid trait that caps it at 30 and gives you immunity to chem addiction). I'm not going to heavily mod it, just some texture and environmental things to improve visuals, nothing that changes the game play. I'm also going to use the JSawyer mod. I already have a character planed out. I usually do a speech type character on my 3rd game, but with the level increase I ended up maxing out speech late in that last game. I'm thinking I'll still go for speech early, even barter which I've never bothered to put any points in. There were some barter speech checks, and I'm also going go with a low strength (3 or 4), so with JSawyer mod's lower carry weight, barter will come in handy with the limited loot I can carry to sell. My only combat skill will be energy weapons. The only two DLC I'll probably play again will be Honest Hearts and Dead Money.

I liked OWB at first, but it seemed to drag on too long. I actually began to wish it would be over with so I could go back to the Mojave Desert. Lonesome Road I will pretend never happened.

MeanJim on Steam

19. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 26, 2013, 20:29 jimnms

"Although a motive for the shooting is unknown at this time investigators have learned that the juvenile suspect was playing a video game on the Play Station III 'Grand Theft Auto IV,' a realistic game that has been associated with encouraging violence and awards points to players for killing people, just minutes before the homicide occurred."

Ultra realistic? Ucrazy Isn't GTA the biggest selling game franchise of all time? If it encourages violence, why aren't more gamers violent criminals?

MeanJim on Steam

2195 Comments. 110 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo