Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2249 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
2. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Dec 14, 2013, 15:46 jimnms

I'm tempted to throw an old HD in my system and install it. I've also got an old miniITX system with an NVIDIA ION that I could try it on.  

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Early Access This Week
16. Re: Wasteland 2 Early Access This Week Dec 13, 2013, 15:48 jimnms

Squirmer wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 22:06:
Beta access for the Kickstarter was at $75 or more, so I guess early access will be that expensive? I pledged $50, so I'll be kind of annoyed if I don't get beta access but late backers do via early access.

For $50 you're getting a BOXED copy of the game, a cloth map, a printed manual, the soundtrack and 2 copies of the game, and you're bitching because a late backer gets beta access?

And beta access began at the $55 pledge, BTW. They haven't even said how much early access is going to cost. I imagine it will cost $55, because that's what it costs to get the game and beta access from their late backer store. If they sell it for lower, I bet they will give everyone that pledged that amount on Kickstarter beta access.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Beta Begins
2. Re: Wasteland 2 Beta Begins Dec 11, 2013, 21:54 jimnms

I don't think I can resist, must go download now.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Previews
5. Re: Evening Previews Dec 10, 2013, 15:26 jimnms

Double Post  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Previews
4. Re: Evening Previews Dec 10, 2013, 15:19 jimnms

I pledged early on this for the lowest tier to get the game. I never played the original Divinity games, but the more they've shown as the game developed the more I'm looking forward to this one. I wish I could go back and give them more money and get a boxed copy.

For Kickstarter backers, when they asked you to chose how you wanted to receive your game, which did you choose? The options are DRM free from the Larian Vault or GOG, or Steam. I chose GOG, but you can change it up until release. I'm considering changing it because GOG takes their sweet time to put out updates. For the Wasteland 1 reward for backing Wasteland 2, I chose GOG, but they've been 3-4 days behind each time an update was released.

I want to get the DRM free version, but a post on their official forums said you need the Steam version to be able to use the Steamworks features. They did say that even the Steam version is DRM free, but needs to be launched from Steam to use the Steamworks features.

This comment was edited on Dec 10, 2013, 15:28.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 9, 2013, 16:24 jimnms

What's with the Creative Labs blasting? The article doesn't even mention Creative Labs. If you're just using crappy speakers or headphones, you'll probably be fine with the shitty on-board sound motherboards come with. If you have a surround sound setup, do yourself a favor and get a decent sound card.

Creston wrote on Dec 9, 2013, 11:32:
There isn't a single external device out there that maxes a USB 2.0 bus. None. So all USB 3.0 is is a buzzword.

Any USB 3.0 HD will be a lot faster than USB 2. I have an old 120GB USB 2 HD and a newer 1TB USB 3 HD. The USB 2 HD, whether I plug it in the USB 2 or USB 3 port caps out at 30MB/s. The USB 3 HD in a USB 2 port once again caps at 30MB/s, but in USB 3 port it does 85MB/s max and 45MB/s min. There USB 3 flash drives that can max out a USB 2 bus.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > GOG.com's Money Back Guarantee
18. Re: GOG.com's Money Back Guarantee Dec 9, 2013, 15:58 jimnms

I wonder how many people buy a game on sale and don't install it within 30 days. I know I've done this with GOG and Steam.

Creston wrote on Dec 9, 2013, 11:08:
I don't think it'll be a huge issue. First you have to let support try to fix the issue, and to be honest, their support guys are pretty dang good at fixing things.

My only experience with GOG's support is informing them of a problem that I fixed myself, since I have been able to fix the few problems I've had with GOG games myself. From what I've seen on support, it's a typical flow chart type of support response, with the first suggestion to run the game as admin.

To cut down on support questions, with the version 2 installer, it sets the compatibility option on game's .exe to run as administrator. They did this because most users install to the default location of Program Files, which old games will need to run as administrator because they write to the game's install directory. IMO this is kind of a dick move to which can compromise the security of their customers systems just to cut down on support questions. A better solution would have been to make the installer default to installing the game outside of the program files directory and set proper permissions on it so the game doesn't have to be run with administrator privileges. I install games to my D: drive, and every game I've bought from GOG runs just fine without administrator privileges.

I have had a couple of games break since they rolled out the version 2 of their installer because they "updated" the game by bundling 3rd party mods with it. Removing the mod, or using the old installer works. Other people reported the same issue in the forums, and were told to report the issue to customer support. I did, they said they would look into the issue, but the games have yet to be fixed.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > On Sale
5. Re: On Sale Dec 9, 2013, 02:21 jimnms

Cram wrote on Dec 8, 2013, 22:56:
Sir, You are Being Hunted

Anyone's thoughts on this so far?

I grabbed it from the Humble Store for the same price during a sale. I've only played it for an hour, but I like what I saw. You mostly have to sneak and avoid the robot hunters because guns and ammo are hard to come by. I only found a pistol and a few bullets during during that hour. I found an axe, which quickly dispatches the robots if you can manage to get the drop on them. There are some items you can use to distract the robots like alarm clocks and toy trains. There are also traps you can get to trap the robots, but I haven't seen those yet.

I used an alarm clock to distract a couple of robots in a little town. They went to investigate the sound while I ran in to loot the town. There was a one I didn't see that snuck up on me. I killed him with the pistol, which caused the others to come back. I hid around the corner of the building and managed to take one out with the axe, but the third one got me.

It recently received an update that addresses a few things I wanted to see added. One is the ability to set the time on the alarm clock, and the other said it fixed the axe impact logic. This update isn't compatible with current saves, so I'll have to start over, which isn't too bad since I only had an hour in it.

MeanJim on Steam

12. Re: Next-gen USB connector will (finally!) fit both ways Dec 7, 2013, 01:32 jimnms

Beamer wrote on Dec 6, 2013, 12:18:
1) It's sometimes dark
2) "Faces up." What if your USB drive faces down? What if it's vertical, not horizontal?

You act as if there's standardization across devices. Plus, the whole "turn it around and look at the connector" takes longer than trying, then flipping and trying again.

I don't know if it's written in the USB specs, but I just looked at all the USB devices I have here at my desk, which include two USB thumb sticks, a USB SD card reader, two external HDs, two joysticks, an XBox 360 pad and about half a dozen device specific cables for my GPS and MP3 players, etc. All but one of them has the USB symbol or logo on the "top" side. The one that doesn't is the XBox 360 controller, but instead of the USB symbol or logo, it has a round bump sticking up on the top side.

The majority of systems I've worked on have the USB ports oriented in the same way, so that the USB symbol or logo on the plug/device faces up. Front panel ports that are horizontal are oriented so that left is up when looking at it from the front. I've very rarely come across a few that were upside down, and then I can feel it if it is upside down. I've never had to turn it around three times.

nin wrote on Dec 6, 2013, 12:57:
On USB cables, the connector has the USB symbol on one side, that side faces up.

I've had laptops where they're flipped...

Know your system. My gaming PC has the front panel USB ports upside down. I know they're upside down, so when I plug something into it, I know to turn it upside down.

MeanJim on Steam

9. Re: Next-gen USB connector will (finally!) fit both ways Dec 6, 2013, 06:39 jimnms

Beamer wrote on Dec 5, 2013, 23:15:
And it isn't that "no one can figure it out," it's that having it be one way is pointless. Everyone here can admit that at least 45% of the time you try to plug it in backwards. Why? There's no technological reason for it. Worse - sometimes you had it right but it didn't slide in properly so you flipped it, then had to flip it back.

I don't understand why people have such a problem plugging in USB devices. On USB cables, the connector has the USB symbol on one side, that side faces up. For things like thumb drives, the logo usually faces up. I'd say I have damn near 100% success rate with plugging in USB devices. If a device/cable doesn't have a logo or the USB symbol wasn't printed, turn it around and look at the connector. One part of it is thicker, so you plug it in with the thick part on the bottom.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Beta On Track; Last Chance for Add-ons
4. Re: Wasteland 2 Beta On Track; Last Chance for Add-ons Dec 6, 2013, 03:12 jimnms

TychoCelchuuu wrote on Dec 6, 2013, 00:11:
Yeah, I don't really want to beta test a single player RPG. I don't replay those enough to want to slog through it once when it's still unfinished.

I usually play most RPG's at least twice. It's fun to go through and role play as different personalities.

I went for the collectors edition box, which includes beta access. I don't know if I want to play the beta though, I kind of want to wait and play it when it's finished. I probably won't be able to resist, and hopefully the part they'll put out for beta won't contain spoilers.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
27. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 5, 2013, 18:40 jimnms

Creston wrote on Dec 5, 2013, 11:05:
Verno wrote on Dec 5, 2013, 09:33:
Sports is the hardest thing to replace when cord cutting and really once that wall is busted cable TV is in deep shit.

Which they're sadly well aware of, which is why cablecos refuse to put more money into internet infrastructure.

And it's their biggest marketing tactic as well. Every other damn day I get a flier in the mail, either from my own cable co., a satellite provider, or AT&T U-Verse offering me a discount on some stupid sports package if I upgrade or switch to them. The only sport I watch is MMA, and then I only watch the "free" stuff that I get on basic cable. I'd watch some rally racing if I could, but most Americans like to watch cars drive in circles for hours. The only channel that covers Rally racing is Speed TV, but they still mostly cover cars driving in circles.

I could probably cut the cord since I don't watch much TV to begin with. Most of the stuff I do watch I can get OTA in HD. About the only things I watch on cable right now is mostly stuff from the SyFy channel. They've been on a roll lately with shows like Eureka, Warehouse 13, Haven and Defiance. I believe you can watch full episode on their site.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Survivor 2299: "Nuclear winter has come"
13. Re: Survivor 2299: Dec 3, 2013, 21:27 jimnms

I always though a Fallout "prequel" would be cool, with it taking place 20 or so years after the Great War.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > On Sale
35. Re: On Sale Dec 3, 2013, 21:13 jimnms

Creston wrote on Dec 3, 2013, 11:39:
jimnms wrote on Dec 2, 2013, 19:41:
Farcry 3 is the same price on Amazon that activates on Uplay. I don't own any Uplay titles, so I'm completely unfamiliar with it. Does it have an offline mode like Steam? From what I understand so far, if you buy it on Steam, you have to launch it on Steam first, which then brings up Uplay, then the game. Or since it's registered to your Uplay account, can you skip Steam and just launch it from Uplay?

If you have to jump through two DRM hoops by buying it on Steam, it sounds better to just buy it from Amazon and register it on Uplay.

They both have advantages and disadvantages.

If you buy it on Steam, like you said, you first have to launch the game in Steam, then it launches Uplay, and puts up this separate Uplay screen where ONLY that game of yours is showing. From which you can then launch it. It's the most retarded thing ever developed by mankind.

However, doing it this way does mean that you can make a backup of it through Steam, should you ever need to reinstall/move it to another computer, etc.

If you get it from Amazon it gives you a Uplay code, so if you play it then, it launches Uplay directly (and shows you all your Uplay games) and then the game. But Uplay has basically no functionality whatsoever of making a backup. The amount of hassle you have to do to get data to move between systems is ridiculous.

So either way you do it, you're looking at shit. If Ubi's games weren't so much fun to play, I'd never put up with it, but sadly they are, and so I have to.

As for offline mode, yes, Uplay has an offline mode, and it actually works far better than Steam's.

I went ahead and bought the Uplay code from Amazon. Uplay isn't too bad, but I'd still rather not have to use it. I played FarCry 3 for a few hours before bed, and that game is worse than the Uplay client. At least you can set Uplay to offline mode, but FC3 wants to connect to the internet during my SP game. I have my firewall set to prompt me when something tries to connect. I don't intend to play FC3 MP, so I blocked it when it prompted. When I try to access the book thing or the map, every other time I do it, it makes me wait while it tries to connect to something.

As far as backing up or moving, the Uplay client just downloaded what would have been a DVD's worth of files with a standard installer. I backed up the installers to my external backup drive. Luckily I did it before installing because Uplay deletes them after you install it.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale Dec 2, 2013, 19:41 jimnms

Farcry 3 is the same price on Amazon that activates on Uplay. I don't own any Uplay titles, so I'm completely unfamiliar with it. Does it have an offline mode like Steam? From what I understand so far, if you buy it on Steam, you have to launch it on Steam first, which then brings up Uplay, then the game. Or since it's registered to your Uplay account, can you skip Steam and just launch it from Uplay?

If you have to jump through two DRM hoops by buying it on Steam, it sounds better to just buy it from Amazon and register it on Uplay.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steam Breaks 7M Concurrent Users
27. Re: Steam Breaks 7M Concurrent Users Dec 2, 2013, 18:59 jimnms

Creston wrote on Dec 2, 2013, 17:51:
Raven wrote on Dec 2, 2013, 13:26:
Wow, Steam sale seems to be doing awesome too, despite most of the deals being pretty conservative. Far Cry 3 actually sold out. Never seen that happen before.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/220240/

Some publisher still needs to explain to me how a digital game can be sold out.

They ran out of zeros and ones and need to restock.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steam Top 10
41. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 2, 2013, 05:30 jimnms

I am (was) playing on the difficulty one below the hardest. At first I was on normal, but kept increasing it until it gave me a challenge without being a grind. Taking the skill perks in smithing is a waste in the vanilla game. As you level up smithing you can just keep improving the basic leather armor making it equal to or better than the next available armor, eventually to the point where you hit the armor rating around 570 at which there is no point going higher. Any armor rating above that doesn't do you any good because of the DR cap at 80% and lack of degradation. The only perks worth taking in smithing are the one that allows you to improve enchanted armor, and then you are better off investing skill points in enchanting. You can enchant various things to improve your armor skill which will allow you to improve your weapons as well as if you'd taken the smithing perk. Plus now you can enchant your armor with different resistances, and give your weapons offensive enchantments.

There isn't really any character building in Skyrim like there is in a real RPG, the game just adapts to how you play. I liked the idea at first of gaining skill and leveling by using the skills, but after playing it, I prefer the traditional RPG method of gaining XP to level up and spending skill points to "build" your character.

sdgundamx wrote on Dec 1, 2013, 22:17:
I'm about equal with you with number of hours played and still haven't finished the main story. I spend most of my time tinkering with different character builds. For example, how about an archer that only uses poisons and a bound bow? How about a wizard who only uses staves to cast? etc.

I'm surprised about your comments about smithing. Are you playing on Master or Legendary difficulty? Smithing is most certainly not wasted perks on those difficulty settings, as you'll need the increased firepower/protection pretty early on to survive if you're a melee-type character.

jimnms wrote on Dec 1, 2013, 19:08:
I can top that. I have 377 hours without finishing it. Not all of that is actual game play. A lot of that is testing mods screwing around....[snip]

[/snip]...Having realized I wasted skills in the smithing tree was the final straw. I quit out of frustration with the game. I've gone back to it a few times. I'll update my current mods, install some new ones, play around a little, but then never stick with it...

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steam Top 10
24. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 1, 2013, 19:08 jimnms

Dirwulf wrote on Dec 1, 2013, 15:44:
I wonder how many people actually finished the main story in Skyrim. I have 71 hours invested in that game, and I didn't even get close. Maybe 71 hours isn't that much. I just got bored with the game. It's the same shit over and over and over and over and over...

I can top that. I have 377 hours without finishing it. Not all of that is actual game play. A lot of that is testing mods screwing around.

The main quest felt weak to me and I never felt the need to get on with it. When the game was released, a friend of mine was playing at the same time and kept talking about these awesome dragons battles he was having, while I had yet to see a single one. I didn't realize that the dragons didn't show up until after that first scripted encounter with one during the main quest. It seems more like the game wants to steer you into the civil war quest line than completing the dragonborn shit.

Skyrim is the first Elder Scrolls game I've played significantly. I played a few hours of TES IV after getting Fallout 3 and hearing people call it Oblivion with guns. I had never played an Elder Scrolls games before, so I picked up Oblivion and Morrowind during Steam a sale.

Don't get me wrong, I like Skyrim, but in typical Bethesda style, it seems like a lot of things were half assed, not fully though out, unpolished and unfinished.

I stopped playing it out of frustration over several little things that built up to a breaking point. The skill trees aren't well thought out. Some skill trees are completely useless to take, and the progression through some others are just retarded. The smithing skill tree is a good example. At first glance it seems to be split into light and heavy armor sides. Except there is one skill for heavy armor half way around the light armor side. Then to get dragon smithing requires unlocking the heavy armor side, which has both light and heavy armors. I think they did fix it so the dragon smithing now unlocks from both sides in a later patch which also addressed some exploits with the smithing.

I was playing a light armor character and it pissed me off when I unlocked the "light armor side" and realized I had to unlock the heavy armor side of the skill tree to get dragon armor. I fired up the creation kit and fixed it so I could take dragon smithing from the light armor side. I ran back to my house where I had stored dragon bones and scales hoping to make myself a kick ass set of dragon armor. I realized I was short a few bones or scales for a full set, so I consulted the UESP wiki to see how many I needed. It was while reading that when I discovered some under the hood game mechanics cap the damage resistance of armor at 80% no matter how high its armor rating. A DR of 80% equals an armor rating of 570 or something like that. The glass armor I was already wearing had an armor rating of over 700. FFS I could create and improved set of leather armor that was over 570. This made sense in earlier games because armor degraded, so having higher armor rating gave a buffer before your armor degraded enough for you to start taking extra damage. But Bethesda decides to dumb down Skyrim and remove item degradation without bothering to re-balance the armor system.

Having realized I wasted skills in the smithing tree was the final straw. I quit out of frustration with the game. I've gone back to it a few times. I'll update my current mods, install some new ones, play around a little, but then never stick with it.

The smithing thing alone wasn't what caused me to quit. Like I said, there were other little things that bothered me about the game, it was just that one finally pushed me to the quitting point. Other things like being able to complete the quest line for the mage college and become the highest ranking mage in all of Skyrim, and I can't even light a fart with a fireball spell. I'm welcomed into the thieves guild even after failing the first task of picking someone's pocket. I get caught, sent to jail, and when I get out, they still invite me to their secret hideout.

Bethesda needs to take notes from the way Obsidian did factions in Fallout New Vegas. You couldn't work for and please them all. You could try to stay neutral to them all, but eventually you piss one or more (or all) of them off and there's no turning back after that. Piss off a faction and that shuts off doing any quests for them. With Skyrim, you can do everything in one play through, with the only possible exception being the side you pick for the civil war quest.

There are now a lot of mods that fix and balance the skill trees and address some of my other complaints. Most of these require starting a new game, so I'm now torn between starting a new game with these mods or continuing my current game. I'm still leaning toward continuing my game because I do want to pick up the DLC if it ever goes on a real sale, and I will do a second play through with the DLC.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Black Friday Legal Briefs
5. Re: Black Friday Legal Briefs Nov 30, 2013, 19:30 jimnms

A couple of thoughts occurred to me while reading that article. One, why the fuck does the software cost $1.35 million per server and $5,000 per device? My best guess is because when the govt. gets involved, prices get inflated. Second, why the fuck is the govt. paying this much for software when it has the people at US Army Corp of Engineers that write software to do this shit. I have a friend that works at the USACE that does exactly that. He writes the software that runs simulations to find the most efficient way to move shit around.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
4. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Nov 30, 2013, 18:59 jimnms

JeffD wrote on Nov 30, 2013, 15:01:
Ozmo, please tell me you did not just say that. That is exactly %100 of what bill gates thought when he said why would you need more than 640k memory.
Bill Gates never said that though.

MeanJim on Steam

2249 Comments. 113 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo