Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2162 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 7, 2013, 17:58 jimnms

Creston wrote on Oct 7, 2013, 14:44:
Yeah, I've depended on it for a few years and to be fair, it's kept my system clean, but it's really starting to become worrisomely bad in tests.

Think I'll go with Comodo. Anyone have any experience with Comodo?

I don't know about Comodo Anti-virus, but I use the free Comodo Firewall, for now. I'm still using version 5. When they came out with version 6, I updated it first on my notebook and quickly uninstalled it. Version 5 has a nice, clean interface and uses very little RAM. Version 6 introduced a bloated turd of an interface which required clicking through several menus to access things that you used to be able to do in one or two clicks. It went from 2 background processes using little RAM (looked at it right now and combined it's only using ~8MB) to version 6 using 5 processes when idle, and spawning new processes every time you access it. Spawning those new processes every time also causes the program to seem laggy. In version 5, double clicking the task bar icon instantly brings up the interface. In version 6, double clicking the task bar icon caused it to spawn one or more new process, which caused a noticeable delay.

This sucks. I've been using MSSE for the past 4 years or so. I like it because it isn't intrusive and resource hungry. It's hard to find good (and free) anti-virus software that isn't bloated crap. Before switching to MSSE, I used Avira free, but then they updated it and while it looked the same, and was still nice and lean, they made it so that the free version would pop up ads every time it updated the database. I wouldn't mind the ads if they were reasonable, but they were giant fucking windows that popped up and took focus away from whatever you were doing, even dropping you out of some full screen games.

Before that, I used AVG. I don't remember which version, but when they pushed out a new version, it turned it into a resource hogging piece of shit. I think a lot of people jumped AVG's ship then. So who does that leave? If you try the free Comodo AV, let us know how it is.

Steam Profile
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
1. South Park Oct 5, 2013, 12:46 jimnms

I watched that last night. That has to be the best episode so far.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: i7-4770K 45% faster than AMD FX-4170 Oct 4, 2013, 23:47 jimnms

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 4, 2013, 01:40:
There, saved you clicking on it

Also, is anyone surprised? AMD can't salvage the Bulldozer CPU line no matter how much they tweak it. It's got a good power rating but it's got crap performance (and if you compare 1 core vs core 1 the result is disastrous)

By the way, 4770k is only 10% faster then Sandybridge-E cpu of comparable build.. that's pretty damn terrible. Is it because AMD is no competition anymore?

When I click the link, Firefox is reporting:
This web page at www.ocaholic.ch has been reported as an attack page and has been blocked.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Watch Dogs & Assassin's Creed 4 Require 64-Bit OSes?
13. Re: Watch Dogs & Assassin's Creed 4 Require 64-Bit OSes? Oct 3, 2013, 14:11 jimnms

Creston wrote on Oct 3, 2013, 12:02:
PS4 and 180 are 64 bit, so it makes sense from that perspective. On the flipside, they are releasing 360 and PS3 versions too, so...?

Anyway, any decent PC gamer has been on 64 bit for about four to five years now, so it's good to see the industry finally catching up.

That's kind of what I'm wondering. This is going to be on both current and next gen consoles, so they're going to have a 32bit version on current gen. I just wonder if they are actually doing any enhancements to actually take advantage of 64bit or just forcing it to 64bit on PC just to not have to support two versions.

Either way, I doubt it will effect PC gamers, because any system built within the pas 8-10 years will have a 64bit CPU. The only problem I can see is someone that is more casual/non techie who has a 64bit capable system with a 32bit OS.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. BF4 Oct 2, 2013, 23:09 jimnms

I tried to play the Beta today, but gave up after trying to fix some of its problems. First is rebinding the keys. It's the same issue as it was with the BF3 beta, you have to join a game to rebind your keys, then get kicked for being idle and start over. There's a bug when rebinding, while rebinding heli or jet controls, it writes several duplicate lines until the config file gets too big (64MB) and crashes the game.

Once I realized what was going on and just rebound foot controls, I couldn't get rid of the stutter. I'm getting good FPS, but the game stutters every 2-3 seconds making it unplayable. Some forum posts say to use task manager and setting the game's .exe to low CPU priority or set the affinity to use two CPU cores. Setting it to low priority does help a little bit, but it's still unplayable. Setting the affinity two two cores dropped my FPS to single digits.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Flashback
13. Re: Ships Ahoy - Flashback Oct 2, 2013, 13:34 jimnms

Requires Uplay, so IPass.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > etc., etc.
5. Re: etc., etc. Oct 1, 2013, 08:35 jimnms

jdreyer wrote on Sep 30, 2013, 22:02:
I hadn't heard of any of these games until this article, and they all look intriguing and well done. I'm especially looking forward to checking out Starbound after having played many hours of FTL.

I thought Starbound was being done by the Terraria devs.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Beta Preloads
13. Re: Battlefield 4 Beta Preloads Sep 30, 2013, 13:25 jimnms

I wish EA would give BF3 owners an "upgrade" discount. I like BF3, but BF4 feels more like an expansion than a new game. I honestly I don't feel I've gotten my money's worth out of BF3 yet, so I'm not dropping another $40-60 on BF4. I pre-ordered BF3 ($42 from Amazon), and I think I played the pre-order map twice because few servers ran it and those that did were usually empty. I then picked up the rest of the DLC from Amazon during the xmas sale, but have played very few of those maps as well.

I would pre-order BF4 right now if it were $30, otherwise I'll wait and hope enough people stick to BF3 until BF4's price drops under $30.

Steam Profile

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Sep 29, 2013, 14:16 jimnms

I haven't played Freeciv in a while. It's come a long way since the first time I tried it. Way back then the AI was way too good. I remember starting a game and getting lucky to have a continent to myself. The first AI I met showed up next to a coastal city in a battle ship while I'm still in the medieval era. The last time I played it though it was much more polished.

I really like some of the diplomatic things they've put in the game, and wish the Civilization series would borrow some. For instance, in Civilization, you're either at war or peace. When you end a war, you have a peace treaty that lasts so many turns, and you can't go back to war until that treaty expires.

In Freeciv, to end a war you first have to negotiate a cease fire, which lasts so many turns. At any time during the cease fire, you or the AI can break the cease fire and go back to war. If the cease fire period ends, you either go back to war or to the next step toward peace. I forget what the next step is called, but it's supposed to be used to withdraw your military units from the other civ's territory because any units left in the other civs territory when a peace treaty is signed are disbanded (rather than magically teleported like in Civilization). Once again though, you or the AI can always go back to fighting, but if the turn time runs out without breaking out in war again, then a peace treaty is signed.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
2. Re: Sunday Mobilization Sep 29, 2013, 13:20 jimnms

If it works like other Android popup boxes, you should be able to tap outside the box to cancel.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Rising Storm: Free Island Assault Pack and Free Weekend
6. Re: Rising Storm: Free Island Assault Pack and Free Weekend Sep 27, 2013, 17:56 jimnms

Perfect timing. I have the weekend all to myself and was thinking I'd do some MP gaming tonight. I was thinking BF3, but I think I'll fire this up instead. I played it quite a bit during the beta, and liked it enough that I pre-ordered it. I played a few hours of it after release, but haven't done much of any MP gaming lately.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Steam's Skyrim DLC Blunder Sep 25, 2013, 15:41 jimnms

I haven't seen any mention on any news sites about Steam's blunder the other day of giving everyone online at the time the Skyrim DLC Dawnguard, even to those that didn't own Skyrim. If your Steam client was online Monday between ~7pm and 9pm CST it should have downloaded it whether you have Skyrim or not.

I was about to shut down my PC at 8pm when I saw it downloading. It was showing a ~700MB download for Skyrim, but nothing was in the news section about it. Checking the forums people had noticed it was the Dawnguard DLC and were wondering if it was either being given away or a mistake. The store page showed I owned it, and it showed as being owned in the DLC tab for Skyrim as well. It also showed that all of my friends owned it, even though they don't all own Skyrim. About an hour later it no longer showed I owned it, but it didn't delete the files. I went ahead and deleted them myself just to be safe, and I still plan to buy the DLC when there's a good sale on it.

Some people that don't own Skyrim said that it did download the files, so if you don't have Skyrim check your SteamApps directory for a Skyrim directory containing the files. The download was ~700MB, but it's about 1.2GB installed.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Takedown: Red Sabre
9. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Takedown: Red Sabre Sep 22, 2013, 00:43 jimnms

Prez wrote on Sep 21, 2013, 22:03:
From the sound of things they may have released too early. My guess is they ran out of money - iirc they asked for very little money during the kickstarter. Come to think of it I backed this way back when. I wonder how to get my copy now that it's finished. Sort of...

You should have gotten an email with your Steam key and a code for the pre-order map (which doesn't work). I backed this on Kickstarter also, it was the first game I ever backed too. I'm a bit bummed by its current state.

I had hoped they accidentally released the wrong version since it installs to a directory called "Takedown Early Access," but they haven't come out and said they released the wrong version. Something must have gotten messed up between the alpha build Kickstarters got to play and release because the AI wasn't like this in the alpha.

They didn't make the game on the Kickstarter funds alone. Their goal for the Kickstarter campaign was to:
...bring TAKEDOWN to Alpha. Private investors are lined up, but unsure of the market for an old-school tac shooter. A successful Kickstarter campaign will convince them that this is a viable market.

They did secure funding from other investors. The same company behind Payday 2 published it, so I don't know why they rushed it out in the state it is in. And they definitely didn't need to waste time and money on THIS "feature."

Steam Profile

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. GIMP version 2.8.6. Sep 16, 2013, 15:31 jimnms

That site is a bit behind the times. GIMP 2.8.6 has been out for nearly 3 months.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Dishonored: Game of the Year Edition Next Month
9. Re: Dishonored: Game of the Year Edition Next Month Sep 13, 2013, 22:56 jimnms

Guess I should have waited. I grabbed it and the DLC available during the summer sale for something like $12 total. I didn't know they were going to release more DLC for it, then follow up with a GOTY. Even though it's currently next on my to play list, I wouldn't have minded waiting a bit longer to get it all in one package, on sale of course.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > DayZ Video Blog
13. Re: DayZ Video Blog Sep 9, 2013, 18:02 jimnms

Jerykk wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 02:59:
DayZ was already using ArmA2 as a base. Porting it over to ArmA3 would have taken a lot more work.
The work would have been worth it.

Steam Profile

News Comments > etc.
13. Re: GOG Linux Sep 9, 2013, 17:53 jimnms

Kristian Joensen wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 07:59:
Ehhm.... the ports are already done. GOG is just the distributor. The port for say The Book of Unwritten Tales already exists and is currently being distributed on Steam. GOG only needs to upload some files to their servers, they do NOT need to do any porting work themselves.

I don't know how they do their mac installer, but GOG uses custom installers for the Windows titles, even new releases. One thing I don't like about the GOG installer on Windows is that (at least for the games I own from them) it sets up compatibility flags in Windows to run it as administrator, which is completely unnecessary if you install the game outside of Program Files.

They didn't used to do this until the v2 installer, which they've just about updated every game to use. They also broke Fallout 2, and they still haven't fixed it. It now puts a goglauncher.exe file and sets the shortcut that launches the game to call it. The launcher doesn't work and throws an error. Once you get past that, they still have the game's .exe set with a run as admin compatibility flag. It's not necessary, and runs just fine without it. They're also shipping it with a mod installed, which caused graphical problems for me until I removed it.

I just took a peek in the forums and there are still a lot of new posts about these problems, and the solution is to not run it with the GOG shortcut and remove or update the mod.

Steam Profile

News Comments > DayZ Video Blog
10. Re: DayZ Video Blog Sep 9, 2013, 00:44 jimnms

I don't understand why they didn't go with the ArmA III engine for this. There were already early videos of ArmA III before they announced they were doing a stand alone game.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: GOG Linux Sep 8, 2013, 18:45 jimnms

That seems a bit odd considering their stance on DRM. Linux is basically a DRM free OS, where Mac OS and Windows both contain DRM (activations, tying activation keys to hardware, etc.).  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
6. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Sep 7, 2013, 18:24 jimnms

Harlequin wrote on Sep 7, 2013, 14:03:
Until they remove the draconian DRM they have put in PSP since ver 11 (vr 10 the last 'clean' version which is what I use) I refuse to support(upgrade) Corel or their products anymore. Sad really because PSP was a great, cost effective alternative to Adobe with 90% of the same features.

They added the DRM BS in PSP 10, or PSP X I think they called it. I bought it at version 4 and every upgrade through version 9. They lost me as a customer after that. I still have my PSP 9 backed up, but I quit using it a long time ago. Now I use a combo of IrfanView, GIMP and Paint.NET.

Steam Profile

2162 Comments. 109 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo