Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2195 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > On Sale
24. Re: On Sale Dec 21, 2013, 01:21 jimnms

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 20, 2013, 15:00:
Anyone got input on Project Zomboid? Loks like a fun game. Takes what I love about zombie and these types of games and molds them into an old school format.....

I bought it about a year ago when it was only on their site and Desura. I had a lot of fun with it back then. It was fun sneaking around, crafting, looting, exploring etc. I never did get far enough to build a base or fortify a shelter. My only complaint back then was the loot was static, you would always find the same items in the same places. They were quick with new builds back then, and then kind of faded. Now that they're on Steam it's seen several updates, but I haven't played it recently.

The last time I played it was a big update right before they went on Steam and it was almost a completely different game. They ramped up the difficulty to the point where I didn't have fun. There were too many zombies, so as soon as I stepped out of whatever building I spawned, I was immediately swamped. They were way too aware and I couldn't sneak past them and couldn't lose them once they started chasing me. There is a sandbox mode where you can tweak everything from the type of zombies (fast/slow), to their awareness and the number and frequency of spawn though.

I did fire it up after activating my Steam key, but I didn't have time to start a game. There have been more updates since then and a new map. I think they added the story mode back, or they were talking about it. There is a demo, but I don't know how up to date it is compared to the version owners have.

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2013, 18:46 jimnms

Cutter wrote on Dec 20, 2013, 12:57:
Or they could bathrooms in next to the elevator so people use them instead of the elevator. But that would make sense. No, put in a $10,000 dollar urine monitor instead. Fucking bureaucrats. Rolleyes

It would probably cost more than $10,000 to install a bathroom. You can't just pop one anywhere you want in an existing structure because they need to have access to the water and sewer lines.

As the article mentioned though, I wonder if they could save some money just by putting up signs to deter people. They should do a study before spending $10k per elevator. Place just a sign in another popular peed in elevator, and if it reduces the problem just as well, problem solved. Hell make it more convincing by putting a fake looking sensor in there too.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Previews
32. Re: Morning Previews Dec 17, 2013, 10:06 jimnms

OpticNerve wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 22:38:
Combat definitely needs something more to it. At the moment, it's a bit drab and plain. While playing the beta, I had a big urge to find a way to target body parts ala. FO1 and FO2 and not being able to do so was pretty disappointing.

Hopefully they can add something that'll make combat more tactical or give it a bit more oomph (I know not everyone liked it, but the action cutscenes in the recent X-Coms made combat rewarding for me).

It would be nice to be able to target body parts like Fallout 1/2/T, but I rarely ever used that in Fallout. The only time I remember using it was on a quest to clear out a section of a town that was overrun by deathclaws. I remember they tell you to aim for the eyes or something. I probably was taking that quest way too early because I had to load and re-try several times. With the weapon I had I could fire two non targeted shots or one targeted shot (because those cost more AP). I usually would rather get two high percentage shots than one lower percentage targeted shot. Although in Fallout, unused action points were added to your AC for defense during enemy turns, so you aren't wasting AP if you do take a targeted shot. I'm not sure WL2 does this or not.

I liked the kill shot cams in XCOM, but didn't care for the running to cover ones. I don't think those would work in WL2. The game looks nice from it's high up perspective, but the characters aren't as detailed as they are in XCOM so you would hear people complaining about how crappy it looks.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Previews
27. Re: Morning Previews Dec 16, 2013, 20:19 jimnms

harlock wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 11:21:
i keep hearing this and its worrying i must say:

Not all of the old-school charm is so charming, however, and in particular I am yet to be convinced by the combat. It's turn-based, but so far without the tactical depth to make it interesting rather than simply slow. There are no stances, no targeted hits, each character is only likely to have any skill with a single weapon and toys like grenades are rarer than hens' teeth. Environments also suffer from a general lack of detail or options, with the result that - so far at least - there's not much to do except stand next to cover, take pot-shots and toggle opportunity fire that may or may not actually be taken. Later, having more choices will hopefully make things more interesting.

If I had to compare the combat system in WL2 to another game, it would be more like the new XCOM:EU. When you right click to move, it shows two grids, one for how far you can move and still have enough AP to fire your currently selected weapon and a second one showing you your farthest movement.

There are no stances, but when moving, you can see when in move mode that an object in the world will provide cover, what direction the cover is provided. If you move to cover, the character will move to cover and kneel behind it.

The targeting is similar too, there are icons on the side representing all visible targets to the selected character. You can click these icons or you can click a target on the screen. You see info such as your chance to hit, the approx. damage you will do, etc.

I don't know how grenades work, I found one, but I haven't used it yet. They need to give better documentation on what keys and other things do. You can equip two weapons, but I haven't figured out how to switch between them. There are icons when in combat to reload and switch fire modes (auto/burst/single), and one that I forgot what it's called, that I think is supposed to be like overwatch. I've clicked it and had mixed results, sometimes my character immediately fires, sometimes they do nothing.

I've only played it a few hours the day I got my beta code. I've run into some bugs, but the game has been patched several times already. One was during a random encounter where there was an enemy behind cover, and no matter what it always showed a 0% chance to hit him. I assume the 0% chance was incorrect as I did hit him.

Another one was with one of the characters I created. I created a Native American Buddhist as my medic, but once I started the game, she was now a Russian Christian. Then later all of the personal bio. things you can chose during character creation disappeared completely. It only happened to that one character in my party, the rest were fine.

I'm going to start a new game tonight and see what has changed, but so far I like what I see for the most part. There are a few things I would like to see changed. There is health regen when in a map and outside of combat. There seems to be mixed opinions on this, some say it happens too fast, some too slow, some say it needs to be removed. Personally I thought it was too slow to be of any real advantage. You can't rest or speed up time to heal quicker. The original WL had health regen by waiting in map mode, but there was a chance to encounter an enemy while waiting. The regen rate was something like +2 CON every 30 seconds or so, so if you have a badly injured character and wanted to fully heal via the regen, you'd have to let the game sit idle for 10-20 minutes depending on max CON and how badly hurt they are.

I assumed you healed when traveling over the map view, but you don't. I had one character close to death after clearing out an area. I left and went to an oasis to refill water, assuming my team would heal along the way. When I was almost there I hit a random encounter, and my team's CON was the same as when I left. I would like to see healing while traveling added, since that was the way it happened in WL1 (and FO1, FO2, FO:T). You're supposed to also be able to use the field medic skill to heal, but I either did it wrong or it is/was broken because I couldn't get it to work.

One other nitpick I had is when in combat one of my team went down. It showed they would bleed out and die in something like 80 turns. I knew the encounter would end before then, and as soon as combat ended a few turns later, it went back to real time and they bled out in a few seconds, before I my medic character could get to them.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steam Top 10
11. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 15, 2013, 15:12 jimnms

jdreyer wrote on Dec 15, 2013, 13:24:
jimnms wrote on Dec 15, 2013, 13:13:
Wow, surprised to see Wasteland 2 there with all the bitching about the price. I wonder if that is only sales from Steam or does it include the Kickstarter backers and those that bought it from the late backer store.

They had to charge that high price, since that was one of the higher price tiers for beta access. Any lower would be unfair to KS backers.

I understand why they're charging what they are. I was just surprised to see it on the to 10 since people here and on the Steam community forums had their undies in a bunch over the $60 price.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steam Top 10
1. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 15, 2013, 13:13 jimnms

Wow, surprised to see Wasteland 2 there with all the bitching about the price. I wonder if that is only sales from Steam or does it include the Kickstarter backers and those that bought it from the late backer store.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
2. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Dec 14, 2013, 15:46 jimnms

I'm tempted to throw an old HD in my system and install it. I've also got an old miniITX system with an NVIDIA ION that I could try it on.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Early Access This Week
16. Re: Wasteland 2 Early Access This Week Dec 13, 2013, 15:48 jimnms

Squirmer wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 22:06:
Beta access for the Kickstarter was at $75 or more, so I guess early access will be that expensive? I pledged $50, so I'll be kind of annoyed if I don't get beta access but late backers do via early access.

For $50 you're getting a BOXED copy of the game, a cloth map, a printed manual, the soundtrack and 2 copies of the game, and you're bitching because a late backer gets beta access?

And beta access began at the $55 pledge, BTW. They haven't even said how much early access is going to cost. I imagine it will cost $55, because that's what it costs to get the game and beta access from their late backer store. If they sell it for lower, I bet they will give everyone that pledged that amount on Kickstarter beta access.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Beta Begins
2. Re: Wasteland 2 Beta Begins Dec 11, 2013, 21:54 jimnms

I don't think I can resist, must go download now.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Previews
5. Re: Evening Previews Dec 10, 2013, 15:26 jimnms

Double Post  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Previews
4. Re: Evening Previews Dec 10, 2013, 15:19 jimnms

I pledged early on this for the lowest tier to get the game. I never played the original Divinity games, but the more they've shown as the game developed the more I'm looking forward to this one. I wish I could go back and give them more money and get a boxed copy.

For Kickstarter backers, when they asked you to chose how you wanted to receive your game, which did you choose? The options are DRM free from the Larian Vault or GOG, or Steam. I chose GOG, but you can change it up until release. I'm considering changing it because GOG takes their sweet time to put out updates. For the Wasteland 1 reward for backing Wasteland 2, I chose GOG, but they've been 3-4 days behind each time an update was released.

I want to get the DRM free version, but a post on their official forums said you need the Steam version to be able to use the Steamworks features. They did say that even the Steam version is DRM free, but needs to be launched from Steam to use the Steamworks features.

This comment was edited on Dec 10, 2013, 15:28.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 9, 2013, 16:24 jimnms

What's with the Creative Labs blasting? The article doesn't even mention Creative Labs. If you're just using crappy speakers or headphones, you'll probably be fine with the shitty on-board sound motherboards come with. If you have a surround sound setup, do yourself a favor and get a decent sound card.

Creston wrote on Dec 9, 2013, 11:32:
There isn't a single external device out there that maxes a USB 2.0 bus. None. So all USB 3.0 is is a buzzword.

Any USB 3.0 HD will be a lot faster than USB 2. I have an old 120GB USB 2 HD and a newer 1TB USB 3 HD. The USB 2 HD, whether I plug it in the USB 2 or USB 3 port caps out at 30MB/s. The USB 3 HD in a USB 2 port once again caps at 30MB/s, but in USB 3 port it does 85MB/s max and 45MB/s min. There USB 3 flash drives that can max out a USB 2 bus.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > GOG.com's Money Back Guarantee
18. Re: GOG.com's Money Back Guarantee Dec 9, 2013, 15:58 jimnms

I wonder how many people buy a game on sale and don't install it within 30 days. I know I've done this with GOG and Steam.

Creston wrote on Dec 9, 2013, 11:08:
I don't think it'll be a huge issue. First you have to let support try to fix the issue, and to be honest, their support guys are pretty dang good at fixing things.

My only experience with GOG's support is informing them of a problem that I fixed myself, since I have been able to fix the few problems I've had with GOG games myself. From what I've seen on support, it's a typical flow chart type of support response, with the first suggestion to run the game as admin.

To cut down on support questions, with the version 2 installer, it sets the compatibility option on game's .exe to run as administrator. They did this because most users install to the default location of Program Files, which old games will need to run as administrator because they write to the game's install directory. IMO this is kind of a dick move to which can compromise the security of their customers systems just to cut down on support questions. A better solution would have been to make the installer default to installing the game outside of the program files directory and set proper permissions on it so the game doesn't have to be run with administrator privileges. I install games to my D: drive, and every game I've bought from GOG runs just fine without administrator privileges.

I have had a couple of games break since they rolled out the version 2 of their installer because they "updated" the game by bundling 3rd party mods with it. Removing the mod, or using the old installer works. Other people reported the same issue in the forums, and were told to report the issue to customer support. I did, they said they would look into the issue, but the games have yet to be fixed.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > On Sale
5. Re: On Sale Dec 9, 2013, 02:21 jimnms

Cram wrote on Dec 8, 2013, 22:56:
Sir, You are Being Hunted

Anyone's thoughts on this so far?

I grabbed it from the Humble Store for the same price during a sale. I've only played it for an hour, but I like what I saw. You mostly have to sneak and avoid the robot hunters because guns and ammo are hard to come by. I only found a pistol and a few bullets during during that hour. I found an axe, which quickly dispatches the robots if you can manage to get the drop on them. There are some items you can use to distract the robots like alarm clocks and toy trains. There are also traps you can get to trap the robots, but I haven't seen those yet.

I used an alarm clock to distract a couple of robots in a little town. They went to investigate the sound while I ran in to loot the town. There was a one I didn't see that snuck up on me. I killed him with the pistol, which caused the others to come back. I hid around the corner of the building and managed to take one out with the axe, but the third one got me.

It recently received an update that addresses a few things I wanted to see added. One is the ability to set the time on the alarm clock, and the other said it fixed the axe impact logic. This update isn't compatible with current saves, so I'll have to start over, which isn't too bad since I only had an hour in it.

MeanJim on Steam

12. Re: Next-gen USB connector will (finally!) fit both ways Dec 7, 2013, 01:32 jimnms

Beamer wrote on Dec 6, 2013, 12:18:
1) It's sometimes dark
2) "Faces up." What if your USB drive faces down? What if it's vertical, not horizontal?

You act as if there's standardization across devices. Plus, the whole "turn it around and look at the connector" takes longer than trying, then flipping and trying again.

I don't know if it's written in the USB specs, but I just looked at all the USB devices I have here at my desk, which include two USB thumb sticks, a USB SD card reader, two external HDs, two joysticks, an XBox 360 pad and about half a dozen device specific cables for my GPS and MP3 players, etc. All but one of them has the USB symbol or logo on the "top" side. The one that doesn't is the XBox 360 controller, but instead of the USB symbol or logo, it has a round bump sticking up on the top side.

The majority of systems I've worked on have the USB ports oriented in the same way, so that the USB symbol or logo on the plug/device faces up. Front panel ports that are horizontal are oriented so that left is up when looking at it from the front. I've very rarely come across a few that were upside down, and then I can feel it if it is upside down. I've never had to turn it around three times.

nin wrote on Dec 6, 2013, 12:57:
On USB cables, the connector has the USB symbol on one side, that side faces up.

I've had laptops where they're flipped...

Know your system. My gaming PC has the front panel USB ports upside down. I know they're upside down, so when I plug something into it, I know to turn it upside down.

MeanJim on Steam

9. Re: Next-gen USB connector will (finally!) fit both ways Dec 6, 2013, 06:39 jimnms

Beamer wrote on Dec 5, 2013, 23:15:
And it isn't that "no one can figure it out," it's that having it be one way is pointless. Everyone here can admit that at least 45% of the time you try to plug it in backwards. Why? There's no technological reason for it. Worse - sometimes you had it right but it didn't slide in properly so you flipped it, then had to flip it back.

I don't understand why people have such a problem plugging in USB devices. On USB cables, the connector has the USB symbol on one side, that side faces up. For things like thumb drives, the logo usually faces up. I'd say I have damn near 100% success rate with plugging in USB devices. If a device/cable doesn't have a logo or the USB symbol wasn't printed, turn it around and look at the connector. One part of it is thicker, so you plug it in with the thick part on the bottom.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Beta On Track; Last Chance for Add-ons
4. Re: Wasteland 2 Beta On Track; Last Chance for Add-ons Dec 6, 2013, 03:12 jimnms

TychoCelchuuu wrote on Dec 6, 2013, 00:11:
Yeah, I don't really want to beta test a single player RPG. I don't replay those enough to want to slog through it once when it's still unfinished.

I usually play most RPG's at least twice. It's fun to go through and role play as different personalities.

I went for the collectors edition box, which includes beta access. I don't know if I want to play the beta though, I kind of want to wait and play it when it's finished. I probably won't be able to resist, and hopefully the part they'll put out for beta won't contain spoilers.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
27. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 5, 2013, 18:40 jimnms

Creston wrote on Dec 5, 2013, 11:05:
Verno wrote on Dec 5, 2013, 09:33:
Sports is the hardest thing to replace when cord cutting and really once that wall is busted cable TV is in deep shit.

Which they're sadly well aware of, which is why cablecos refuse to put more money into internet infrastructure.

And it's their biggest marketing tactic as well. Every other damn day I get a flier in the mail, either from my own cable co., a satellite provider, or AT&T U-Verse offering me a discount on some stupid sports package if I upgrade or switch to them. The only sport I watch is MMA, and then I only watch the "free" stuff that I get on basic cable. I'd watch some rally racing if I could, but most Americans like to watch cars drive in circles for hours. The only channel that covers Rally racing is Speed TV, but they still mostly cover cars driving in circles.

I could probably cut the cord since I don't watch much TV to begin with. Most of the stuff I do watch I can get OTA in HD. About the only things I watch on cable right now is mostly stuff from the SyFy channel. They've been on a roll lately with shows like Eureka, Warehouse 13, Haven and Defiance. I believe you can watch full episode on their site.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Survivor 2299: "Nuclear winter has come"
13. Re: Survivor 2299: Dec 3, 2013, 21:27 jimnms

I always though a Fallout "prequel" would be cool, with it taking place 20 or so years after the Great War.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > On Sale
35. Re: On Sale Dec 3, 2013, 21:13 jimnms

Creston wrote on Dec 3, 2013, 11:39:
jimnms wrote on Dec 2, 2013, 19:41:
Farcry 3 is the same price on Amazon that activates on Uplay. I don't own any Uplay titles, so I'm completely unfamiliar with it. Does it have an offline mode like Steam? From what I understand so far, if you buy it on Steam, you have to launch it on Steam first, which then brings up Uplay, then the game. Or since it's registered to your Uplay account, can you skip Steam and just launch it from Uplay?

If you have to jump through two DRM hoops by buying it on Steam, it sounds better to just buy it from Amazon and register it on Uplay.

They both have advantages and disadvantages.

If you buy it on Steam, like you said, you first have to launch the game in Steam, then it launches Uplay, and puts up this separate Uplay screen where ONLY that game of yours is showing. From which you can then launch it. It's the most retarded thing ever developed by mankind.

However, doing it this way does mean that you can make a backup of it through Steam, should you ever need to reinstall/move it to another computer, etc.

If you get it from Amazon it gives you a Uplay code, so if you play it then, it launches Uplay directly (and shows you all your Uplay games) and then the game. But Uplay has basically no functionality whatsoever of making a backup. The amount of hassle you have to do to get data to move between systems is ridiculous.

So either way you do it, you're looking at shit. If Ubi's games weren't so much fun to play, I'd never put up with it, but sadly they are, and so I have to.

As for offline mode, yes, Uplay has an offline mode, and it actually works far better than Steam's.

I went ahead and bought the Uplay code from Amazon. Uplay isn't too bad, but I'd still rather not have to use it. I played FarCry 3 for a few hours before bed, and that game is worse than the Uplay client. At least you can set Uplay to offline mode, but FC3 wants to connect to the internet during my SP game. I have my firewall set to prompt me when something tries to connect. I don't intend to play FC3 MP, so I blocked it when it prompted. When I try to access the book thing or the map, every other time I do it, it makes me wait while it tries to connect to something.

As far as backing up or moving, the Uplay client just downloaded what would have been a DVD's worth of files with a standard installer. I backed up the installers to my external backup drive. Luckily I did it before installing because Uplay deletes them after you install it.

MeanJim on Steam

2195 Comments. 110 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo