Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2422 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
17. Re: Kerbal Space Program confirmed for PlayStation 4 Jun 18, 2015, 04:32 jimnms

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 18, 2015, 03:02:
I had to run ActiveTexture at Aggressive to even start KSP without a crash with my base mod set, which is 40% of what I ran with 1.0 ;/

I dunno what else they did but I have had a ton of crashes ever since 1.0.1/1.0.2 :/

I installed ATM, which I never had to do before. Using "-force-d3d11" command line further reduces the memory footprint, but it messes up the fonts on some screens.

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
15. Kerbal Space Program confirmed for PlayStation 4 Jun 17, 2015, 19:05 jimnms

Is this why it's taking so long for them to fix the goddam memory leaks in 1.0.2? I love the game, but they introduced the memory leak bugs with 1.0.1 and 1.0.2 and haven't fixed them yet. I love the game, but this is pissing me off.

If you don't know, there are two major memory leaks in the game. The worst one is with the new temp gauges for overheating parts. If a part starts overheating, a temp gauge gets overlaid on it. When those gauges show up, the game starts eating up about 100MB of RAM per second which will crash the game very fast, especially if you're running a lot of mods that are pushing it to the limit. The other one is the game doesn't release memory when switching scenes. This happens if you switch vessels from the map, or from a vessel back to the space center, each time you enter/exit a building, etc. Each time it eats up a little more RAM and eventually the game runs out of memory and crashes.

The first memory leak can be fixed by disabling the temp gauge overlay by pressing F10, but you have to do this every time you launch or switch vessels. There is a mod that sets them to disable by default though. There is nothing you can do about the second leak though except monitor the memory usage and restart the game before it crashes.

I had to disable some mods just to keep the game from crashing so often. The game crashes when it exceeds about 3.5GB of RAM. The stock game with no mods only takes up about 1.5GB, so it takes it a while to crash. With all of the mods I was using, I was sitting right at 3GB, so it crashed quit often. I disabled some to get the mem usage down to 2.5GB. I can now play it for about 2 hours before I have to restart.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > etc., etc.
12. Re: etc., etc. Jun 17, 2015, 18:47 jimnms

PHJF wrote on Jun 17, 2015, 12:00:
Well when you've got an AI as fucking retarded as that in Fallout 3, Boone wouldn't have made it three steps outside Novac without being immortal.

Boon is one of the more lethal companions when he worked, but they broke him in the first or second patch and never properly fixed him. After the patch that broke him, he would not shoot at anything, but keep holstering his gun because his script kept causing him to drop out of compat. There was a patch that claimed to fix him, but he's still broken. He doesn't holster his gun, but he gets rarely shoots and gets up in your face and keeps yelling "come on!" since his script is still causing him to drop in and out of combat several times per second. You have to use a mod or unofficial patch to fix him (I recommend YUP).

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: etc., etc. Jun 16, 2015, 22:13 jimnms

I don't like it when they make any character unkillable, especially companions. And FFS, come up with a new name, there's only one true dogmeat. Better yet, let us name it. If they went to the trouble of recording thousands of common names so that robot might speak your name, why not let us name the dog and have the stupid voiced character say the dogs name. I really hope you can disable the player voice though.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Rainbow Six Siege Multiplayer Trailer
3. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Multiplayer Trailer Jun 15, 2015, 23:01 jimnms

This has never impressed me since the first video footage of it. It's like the walls are made of Legos because they explode when shot, and it looks stupid. Small teams, small maps, and although there are objectives, the play is just going to end up devolving into team DM 99% of the time.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Fallout 4 PC Mods Available on Xbox One For Free Jun 15, 2015, 21:48 jimnms

Bethesda Softworks announced today that all of the mods created on the PC version of Fallout 4 will also be available on Xbox One, for free.
And just how the fuck can they guarantee that? Unless they're going to rip them from the Fallout Nexus, Steam Workshop or other mod sites, then they must be planning on implementing some sort of built in mod hosting and preventing external modding.

I wonder if this also means the game will be even more broken than usual so they can rely on modders to fix the console bugs as well.

This comment was edited on Jun 15, 2015, 22:06.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > South Park: The Fractured But Whole Announced
6. Re: South Park: The Fractured But Whole Announced Jun 15, 2015, 21:38 jimnms

Probably going to require Uplay this time.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steam Top 10
9. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 14, 2015, 16:42 jimnms

ASeven wrote on Jun 14, 2015, 16:01:
Steam drama alert:

Another hipster indie dev that made a terrible game is sad that steam refunds is doing its job. He left the game page like this right now:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/358480/

Priceless. Just priceless.

Notice how almost all of these indie devs that cry foul are the ones producing some of the shittiest games in steam?

The page seems to have been taken down. Did you get a screenshot?

MeanJim on Steam

2. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 14, 2015, 14:54 jimnms

GTA V was, maybe still is, 25% off on GMG.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Dishonored Game Announcement Accidentally Spoiled
7. Re: Dishonored Game Announcement Accidentally Spoiled Jun 14, 2015, 14:53 jimnms

I still have yet to play the first one. It keeps getting pushed down my ever growing backlog list. It was up next, but with the hype out about FO4, I'm itching for another FNV play, maybe FO3+FNV with TTW? I gotta finish Wasteland 2 first, one RPG at a time for me. I first have to tear myself away from KSP though.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 10, 2015, 12:58 jimnms

I don't own any Apple products. I have family that are always wanting me to fix or do stuff to their iCrap. I still refuse to install iTunes, but I also don't want to listen to them nag me about fixing their shit either. My solution was to install Windows in VirtualBox with iTunes isolated in there.  

MeanJim on Steam

32. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 9, 2015, 11:31 jimnms

Julio wrote on Jun 9, 2015, 05:32:
I see why you so strongly are pro-dog shit then.

I'm not pro anything, I'm anti animal cruelty and anti ass hole.

It's an animal, if I don't own it I care as much for it as a random cow or pig - which a lot of people eat for dinner. And before you extrapolate it to me eating dogs, no I don't think I'd want to eat one.

So if it's not yours, you don't care about it? What a sad outlook on life you have.

No mail itself was interfered with, the box was empty before and too full afterwards for anything but a note telling them that I was returning what they left on my property to them.

It doesn't matter if there was mail in it or not. Tampering with a mailbox is still a crime that carries a 3 year jail sentence and $250,000 fine.

What it says about me as a person was that I treated their property exactly how they treated mine.

And I suppose in your twisted mind you see that as a good thing?

MeanJim on Steam

30. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 8, 2015, 21:12 jimnms

Julio wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 18:10:
jimnms wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 10:05:
Why do you shovel it before cutting it? Just mow over it and you'll never know it was there.

Because picking shit out of the treads of your shoes isn't fun.

If you run over it with a mower, there won't be pieces large enough to get in the treads of your shoes. I didn't always pay someone to cut my lawn, I used to do it myself. The shit in my yard is mostly my dog's shit and I never shoveled shit before mowing.

It's not my pet. If it gets injured trespassing on my property, that's the owners fault.

It is your fault if you intentionally injured it. That's the problem with the world today. Half of the population doesn't want to take responsibility for their actions and the other half doesn't care about anything unless it affects them. You don't care if someone else's dog gets hurt, but you would if it were your dog.

I can't say that I've ever done what the chocolate chip guy did - but I understand where he's coming from and how he ended up there.

I did fill someone's mailbox with their own dog's shit that was left on my lawn - because I knew exactly who it was. And they learned not to do it again as a result.

You don't like getting dog shit on your shoes, but you'll pick it up and put it in someone's mailbox just to get revenge? What does that say about you as a person? Are you one of those "get off my lawn" types that has to get someone back that you feel has wronged you in some way? This is how neighborhood feuds start which usually end up with the law involved. You're lucky your neighbor didn't have you in jail for messing with a mail box.

MeanJim on Steam

37. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 8, 2015, 20:22 jimnms

Dacron wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 14:19:
Uh, the product still cost something to make. Digital or not. It's very easy to make a loss.

The games are 5 and 7 years old. They've more than recouped their initial development costs. There's no way they can lose money on it now. Just about every time they go on sale they end up in the top 10. I think a lot of people might pass on it at $12 knowing it has regularly been discounted to $5 in the past. They have to decide if it's worth selling less copies at a higher cost or selling more at a lower cost. Even if the net profit turns out to be equal, for example selling 1000 copies at $12 or 2400 copies at $5, it would be better to sell 2400 copies vs. 1000 because you now have 1400 more people that are exposed to your product and might buy your games in the future.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > etc.
10. Re: etc. Jun 8, 2015, 20:05 jimnms

Task wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 13:29:
What they could try doing for one of these FPS fallouts is do a combination. Have a first person perspective and even combat possible like that, but also have tactical pause or turn-based option where it switches to an overhead view so you can queue up attacks and order any followers into appropriate positions, etc. That way one could have a choice to play in real-time, or go with a slower tactical way of approaching a combat situation. I'm not ware of an FPS that has something innovative to switch to something like that.

That would be neat to be able to pause and give orders to your generally useless companions. The combat in the original Fallout games was pretty weak.

I always though it would be neat to see them do larger locations and use a travel map like the first two games. Imagine the city of New Vegas being the size of the entire Mojave wasteland for example, and when you leave it, you're presented with the over-world travel map like the original games. Click a location and you travel like the old games with random encounter chances along the way. They could have other cities and larger settlements instead of just a few houses representing a town or settlement.

Task wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 13:29:
Actually that's what inXile is sort of doing for Bard's Tale 4, but the tactical part isn't an option as far as I'm aware. So you explore in 'corridor' type paths or examining things in first person, but when combat occurs they intend to switch you to a tactical view.

The game that got me into PC games and RPGs was Pool of Radiance. While in cities and dungeons, you had a small window where you explored in first person view, but battles took place from a 2D isometric/isometric view.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Jun 8, 2015, 11:33 jimnms

I wonder if they could get enough money from a Kickstarter to buy Fallout from Bethesda. I like isometric, turn based RPGs and I loved the first two Fallout games, but I think Fallout works as an FPS RPG. I remember playing Fallout for the first time, and the opening video at the beginning that shows you leaving the vault in first person, I thought that it would be cool to experience the whole world from first person. Although IMO Fallout 3 is the weakest of the series, my fondest memories of any game is leaving the vault for the first time in Fallout 3.  

MeanJim on Steam

34. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 8, 2015, 10:31 jimnms

Redmask wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 07:18:
I still don't get why this is a big deal. Of course they put the price up a bit, they want to make more money. Is that $7 for a 4 year old game going to bankrupt anyone? Is $12 not a good deal for all of the content involved? Historical lows for a product are just that, it doesn't mean that the price will stay there or go lower just because you want it to. There are so many bad practices in the industry it seems really strange to care about something so minor and innocuous.

It's not a big deal, and I don't care because I already own them. I'm not the one making a fuss over it. FFS, all I said was I'm surprised to see people buying it, especially with the Summer sale so close, it might be cheaper if people just wait.

MeanJim on Steam

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 8, 2015, 10:05 jimnms

Redmask wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 07:12:
How noble of you when its not your yard covered in shit. Like them or hate them, lawns affect exterior appearance which greatly influences property values. As he also points out in the video they can't water their lawns so the 'fertilizer' is of limited value, they tend to just hang around or become dessicated in that heat. More importantly its his property, not theirs or yours. It's not unreasonable to ask people to respect his property and city bylaws by picking up after their pets. I think his method here is very cruel and disgusting but there are two sides to every story. Maybe this guy was at his breaking point, it looks like he already tried signs and calling the authorities. People ignored him. Well they can't ignore him now.

Dogs come in my yard all the time, it doesn't bother me. Like them or hate them, dogs are people's family or some kids best friend. Poisoning and killing them because they shit in your yard is cruel inhumane. I also don't understand why people have to water their lawn all the time, it's a waste of money and water when rain is free. I understand that it's his property, but that doesn't give him the right to kill someone's dog if it comes on it. There are irresponsible dog owners and there are are irresponsible parents, but it wouldn't be acceptable if he poisoned a kid for coming in his yard.

Julio wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 06:43:
Too bad you don't live next to the chocolate chip guy, you could have a sign saying please have your dogs shit on my lawn, no need to pick it up. The kid who cuts your lawn wouldn't love piles of shit everywhere.

Personally I don't like shoveling shit out of the lawn when I cut it. Not much worse than stepping in a fresh turd from a huge dog.

Why do you shovel it before cutting it? Just mow over it and you'll never know it was there. I'd say having someone poison and murder your pet would be worse than a little shit on your shoes. You can wipe the shit off, you can't bring back a dead pet.

WTF is wrong with you people that put a higher value on a non-sentient weed (grass) over a living, breathing dog?

MeanJim on Steam

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 8, 2015, 03:05 jimnms

I don't understand people who are so goddamn anal about their yards. It's free fertilizer, and it's good for your lawn. I don't give a shit about my lawn. I pay a neighborhood kid to cut it every few weeks and I don't obsess over it. I had a neighbor a few years ago that spent hours every day tending to his lawn. He chewed me out once because he was upset that my grass looked nicer after he puts so much time and effort into his lawn and I don't do shit. Thankfully that old fart moved years ago.

Putting something out that will attract and kill dogs because they're messing up your precious lawn is fucking stupid. It's no different than people who used to put out antifreeze. Antifreeze used to have a smell that would attract animals to it and they would drink it, so assholes used it to poison them. I believe antifreeze now has stuff in it that deters animals from drinking it. There are animal cruelty laws where I live that have serious penalties for doing shit like that. Hopefully there are similar laws where this asshole lives and he goes to jail or has to pay heavy fines.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
5. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jun 8, 2015, 01:28 jimnms

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 7, 2015, 19:10:
Wtf? Why would people put email addresses on BANK account info that doesn't belong to them? I mean not like banks ever send you anything relevant that way except maybe statements, but what about Paypal or stores, what about job info or sensitive online store info?

It was their actual bank account, they just put my email address as the login/contact giving me access to their personal information. They're lucky that I'm (usually) a nice person.

Do they think that just because they have a name that they have this gmail address? How the fuck would they even access their mail account? I assume you have tons of "access warnings" and password reset attempts?

I've given up on trying to figure out what dumb people think. I did discover that one of these people has the address myfirstnamemylastname99@gmail, but he forgets to put the 99 on the end. I have actually never gotten a password reset attempt on my account either.

stupidity of humanity does not surprise me, but sometimes.. you really gotta ask yourself.. what the actual fuck is wrong with people? Man this makes me so glad that only 1 other person in the world uses my nick... I seriously couldn't stand such bullshit for very long, and I'd probably do nefarious things to make them stop pretty damn quickly.

What's even dumber were some of the responses I get when I try to tell people they're emailing the wrong person. Those last three I mentioned, the elementary school, church and some neighborhood thing, actually gave out personal information after I replied telling them they had the wrong email address. I politely replied to each one saying that someone had given them my email address by mistake and asked to be removed from future mailings, and said they should contact the person that gave them this address to get the correct address. I did get a bit harsh with those because it wasn't getting through.

The school replied something like: "Your daughter isn't Girlname Mylastname in Mr. Teachername's 3rd grade class?" Yousaidwhat The neighborhood email list person replied similarly asking: "Are you not Mr. Mylastname at 123 Somestreet?" I replied "no, I just told you I'm not, but thank you for the address so I can personally contact Mr. Mylastname and ask him to stop giving out my email address, and I will also let him know that you gave me, a complete stranger, his address."

MeanJim on Steam

2422 Comments. 122 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo