Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2231 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
3. Re: Sunday Mobilization Nov 9, 2014, 14:28 jimnms

What the hell are you two talking about?  

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Patches
18. Re: Saturday Patches Nov 8, 2014, 21:28 jimnms

Redmask wrote on Nov 8, 2014, 20:45:
That is true nin, its the same option with different wording. Previously if you went offline before the update landed you could keep playing but otherwise you have to update when it runs or just cancel. Some games you can run directly through their executable files but they're few and far between these days.

Yes, they just reworded it to make it more clear. Way back when I started using Steam, I had a 256k connection, so I set every game to the do not automatically update option All it did was stop it from automatically updating when idle. It would still check for an update at launch though.

You can get around auto updates though. After installing it, move or copy it out of the SteamApps directory. You can still run it from the .exe or make a shortcut. If the game has Steam's DRM, Steam still has to be running, and it will still have the overlay and other Steam features.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Saturday Patches
4. Re: Saturday Patches Nov 8, 2014, 13:59 jimnms

NKD wrote on Nov 8, 2014, 13:19:
There's a user patch linked in there that fixes some of the stuff Rockstar broke in this patch. Of course those songs are permanently gone

I saw Steam trying to update it this morning and paused it to check out the forums to see what was up before I let it continue. If you have a backup of your old game files, you can copy the audio files back and get your missing radio stations. There is a post in the Steam forums telling you which files you need to restore. I saw the post linked above already this morning, but the fix linked in it is for GTA III and VC.

I bought the GTA Complete pack way back when it included GTA 1 through SA, and forgot I had it installed. I still have the original disk version of SA which I've played to 100% three times, so I doubt I'll play it again with GTA V around the corner.

This doesn't seem legal, and lots of people in forums are pointing to laws in their country claiming that it isn't. If I bought a car that came with a 200hp engine, then later that year they had a dispute with the engine manufacturer and switched to a 150hp engine for the same year and model car, I already bought the car with the 200hp engine, they can't come to my house and swap it for the 150hp one. There was similar issue with GTA: VC, but they only pulled the songs from new purchases after the license dispute.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Free Metro 2033 from Humble Store
6. Re: Free Metro 2033 from Humble Store Nov 7, 2014, 22:49 jimnms

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 21:37:
My biggest gripe was actually shooting off a ton of the expensive ammo by accident in the middle of a fight, ugh instant game-reload.

Yup, I did that too, but I didn't notice until I made it to the next settlement and realized I didn't have any "money." Re-loading would have meant an hour or more of replaying, so I trucked on. They really should have had a separate key to reload your expensive rounds rather than holding the reload key .5 seconds longer.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Nov 6, 2014, 02:53 jimnms

For Linden Lab, this deal is a matter of focusing on its top priority: developing new virtual worlds while maintaining and evolving existing products like Second Life.

People still "play" Second Life? I got on it twice. The first time I stayed on for several hours exploring stuff. There was a lot of stuff to do, but after that first time I never went back. Then one day a year or longer later, I was cleaning my system and saw I still had it installed. I let it update and logged in. Once again it sucked me in for a few hours. I found myself in some kind of virtual dance club. They had some kind of streaming music thing going on, people were chatting and it was kind of neat. Then I got invited to the "VIP" area in the basement, and well, things got a bit weird. I logged off, uninstalled it and never went back. Quiver

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2014, 15:02 jimnms

Prez wrote on Nov 5, 2014, 12:50:
We need someone good to blow up the Capitol building with every member of Congress inside!!!

If anyone wonders why Prez disappears for a while, he'll probably be in an NSA interrogation room for a few days.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Fallout: Shadow of Boston German TM [Updated]
12. Re: Fallout: Shadow of Boston German TM Nov 5, 2014, 10:44 jimnms

I just hope it's not an internal Bethesda project. I'd hate to see the next Fallout take a step back to a linear, no choices, no options story like that of Fallout 3, or be like Skyrim, big, open, lots of shallow fetch quests that make no sense.

What I would like to see is a hybrid product. Let Bethesda design the world, they're good at that, but outsource the writing to Obsidian.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Out of the Blue
39. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2014, 01:25 jimnms

nin wrote on Nov 4, 2014, 09:21:
Voted this morning on the way into work. Was surprised how long the line was, even at 7:10...

I voted on the way home. Got there about 5:15 and I was the only one there. I almost didn't bother, there was really only two elections to vote on, the senate and congress, and neither of those fuckers are going anywhere (one has been in office since before I was born). Then there were about 4 pages of local elections, all except one running unopposed, and that one exception had half a dozen candidates running for it.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Aero's Quest HTML5 Nov 3, 2014, 20:18 jimnms

That site sets off a warning from the FoxBleed plugin. I forgot I had it installed.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steam Top 10
24. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 3, 2014, 01:22 jimnms

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 2, 2014, 12:19:
nin wrote on Nov 2, 2014, 10:46:
I'm laughing at Farm Simulator making it to number two...makes me think of this.

This and snuggle truck... there has to be a very large silent sector of closet style gamers out there.

What's wrong with Snuggle Truck?

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Star Citizen FPS Reveal
61. Re: Star Citizen FPS Reveal Nov 3, 2014, 01:13 jimnms

Bradley wrote on Nov 2, 2014, 22:12:
But I guess if you have already decided to hate it's easy to find faults.

I backed the game over a year ago, but I'm not a blind fanboy.

MeanJim on Steam

60. Re: Star Citizen FPS Reveal Nov 3, 2014, 01:09 jimnms

Kajetan wrote on Nov 2, 2014, 12:49:
jimnms wrote on Nov 2, 2014, 12:23:
I'm not impressed. It uses bad Hollywood "gravity." Immediately when they switch off the gravity, shit starts floating "up." That doesn't happen ...
Of course it does not happen this way. But its a nice indicator that gravity is off. Its just like the debris und gases floating by in space sims to indicate that your ship is moving. Because in reality you would see nothing and you would get the impression that your ship isnt moving at all.

They can come up with a better indicator if you can't tell gravity is off. Hell just have a warning blasting over the stations PA that gravity is offline, or maybe an indicator in your suit. Shit floating up and hovering in the middle of rooms doesn't look like gravity going offline, it looks like some kind of poltergeist shit.

Just remember, this is NOT intended to be a scientific accurate simulation. This is game. With such unrealistic gadgets like FTL drives for ships in the size of a small van or a bus.

One of the reasons I backed the game was after seeing a talk about how he wanted to move away from the arcade type "sims" of his past and make Star Citizen more realistic. I don't expect a 100% scientifically accurate simulator, but at least make an attempt to be believable.

I don't like the dust and particle effect when "flying" through space either. The only indicator I need that my ship is moving is the instrumentation in my cockpit telling me it is. Speaking of instruments, the ships so far seem to be lacking in that department.

Why aren't people being pushed backwards by the recoil of their guns (3rd law of physics)?
Because it would be very hard to play with this kind of realism? Maybe someone could mod that in later. Would that please you?

It would give another reason for choosing between projectile based weapons and energy weapons. Perhaps energy weapons don't do as much damage and can be blocked by shields or absorbed by armor, and projectile weapons do more damage, but when the gravity goes out, projectile weapons are pretty much useless due to recoil where energy weapons aren't.

I read in another forum that they do plan to add recoil from guns effecting the player in zero-G, and yes, that pleases me.

And WTF is up with the 1970's looking black and white CRT monitors?
Its called art design.

It's not very good art design because it looks stupid and out of place.

MeanJim on Steam

12. Re: Star Citizen FPS Reveal Nov 2, 2014, 12:23 jimnms

I'm not impressed. It uses bad Hollywood "gravity." Immediately when they switch off the gravity, shit starts floating "up." That doesn't happen (1st law of physics). Shit will generally stay put until something disturbs it. I say generally, because if they're orbiting a planet, the gravity of the planet will slowly tug things closer to it, but things won't just immediately float up in the middle of the room and hover when artificial gravity gets turned off.

Why aren't people being pushed backwards by the recoil of their guns (3rd law of physics)?

And WTF is up with the 1970's looking black and white CRT monitors?

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Dead State in December
13. Re: Dead State in December Nov 1, 2014, 22:07 jimnms

Paranoid Jack wrote on Nov 1, 2014, 19:38:
A turn based combat game really needs to nail that combat or it just gets boring fast.

It is not a combat game, it's a zombie apocalypse survival RPG. The combat could be better, but it's not all about the combat. You can right click on the weapon and change to different types of attacks besides the standard attack. Some melee weapons have multiple attack types that have different AP requirements and do different damage/criticals.

I played it for a couple of hours tonight. I think there are stealth mechanics in the game, it's not indicated, i.e. your characters don't crouch, tiptoe or turn into bushes. There is a noise meter, and if you make noise, zombies and bandits will come to check it out. Zombies are pretty easy to sneak by in the open, and once I was able to sneak by some bandits and loot a car they were standing near.

There are a few things I would like to see improved:

The inventory system is a bit odd. You can't open your inventory screen and trade items between characters. You have to be select one of the characters you want to swap with, then right click the other on the screen until a backpack icon pops up, then left click. From there you can swap items between party members, and even switch characters. You should just be able to do that from the inventory menu.

The story could use some work. You survive of a plane crash, the locals rescue you and you wake up in the basement of a local school, and right away you're somehow the leader of this little group of survivors.

It said in the tutorial part that if you go out on and don't return by 3am, that the group will give up on you and it's game over.

Apparently, unless I missed it, your character has to go out on every scavenging run. On the third day I went out with two other members to what I thought would be an easy run, but ran into some heavily armed bandits. We managed to escape, but one member got killed (the one carrying the medic bag) and my main character only had 3hp. We made it back to the shelter, rested overnight, but my character was in no shape to go out again. I tried to assign a party with just the other members, but I couldn't find a way to send them out.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Into the Black
8. Re: Into the Black Oct 29, 2014, 11:31 jimnms

jdreyer wrote on Oct 28, 2014, 21:34:
NASA needs to play more KSP.

Perhaps they have been playing too much KSP.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
11. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas is Now Available for Xbox 360 Oct 27, 2014, 14:36 jimnms

GTA: SA was removed from Steam. I've seen speculation that it's because of a music licensing thing or to do with a remastered edition coming out.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Patches
2. Re: Evening Patches Oct 23, 2014, 03:36 jimnms

Acleacius wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 21:57:
RAGE, is bethesda finally coming back to reality? This is the first time in at least a year (maybe two years), I've seen one of their DLC going for the same 75% off as the game. Shakefist

That's because Rage doesn't have a GOTY edition.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition Dropping GFWL for Steam
23. Re: Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition Dropping GFWL for Steam Oct 21, 2014, 21:05 jimnms

Simon Says wrote on Oct 21, 2014, 11:18:
Nooooooo!

Steam on capped broadband = total crap.

I reinstalled x-com enemy unknown the other day, I would've needed a friggin 8 GIGABYTES download to even get started and finish the installation. On a 20 gigs monthly cap its a no go. On GFWL at least the whole game would've been on the disc and no additional download would be necessary.

Holy fuck, how do you live on that? My shitty ISP says I have 250GB a month, but they don't enforce it because I go over it every single month. You know Steam has a built in backup tool? You burn them to DVD or buy some external HD's and backup your games so you don't have to re-download them when you re-install.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > PAYDAY 2 John Wick DLC; Game Free with Movie Ticket
4. Re: PAYDAY 2 John Wick DLC; Game Free with Movie Ticket Oct 21, 2014, 20:17 jimnms

DangerDog wrote on Oct 21, 2014, 19:17:
Does it work if you buy one child ticket lol

What does a movie ticket costs these days? I haven't been to a movie theater in years. I prefer to watch in the comfort of my home, not having to pay an ass load for food and drinks, and best of all not putting up with idiots. I don't mind waiting a few months for a BR/DVD release, especially lately when movies get chopped for theaters and released in uncut/uncensored BR/DVD.

Last time I went to a theater it was $7.50 for an adult ticket, which is what the game is on sale for now anyway. I'm guessing it's gone up since then.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > GOG.com Has 100 Linux Titles
9. Re: GOG.com Has 100 Linux Titles Oct 15, 2014, 07:43 jimnms

You could already play any of the Infinity Engine games on Linux with GemRB.  

MeanJim on Steam

2231 Comments. 112 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo