Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2195 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
6. Re: Saturday Metaverse Mar 16, 2014, 02:53 jimnms

Agent.X7 wrote on Mar 15, 2014, 14:15:
Got an email from Amazon stating that my 2014 membership payment would still be $79 and that the $99 for existing members doesn't start until 2015.

That's only if your membership renews before the price goes up. Unfortunately mine expires in June, so my renewal will be $99. I think I'm going to gift myself a $79 one though.

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Mar 15, 2014, 14:45 jimnms

I didn't laugh.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
39. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 13, 2014, 18:58 jimnms

I'm torn on whether I'll keep my prime membership. I used the streaming when it was new because one show I was watching, on Netflix it was 4:3 cropped, but on Amazon it was widescreen. The quality was better too, but Netflix's quality has improved. I haven't watched any Amazon streaming in years. I hardly watch Netflix streaming anymore either, but my family does.

I suppose if I added up the cost of 2-day shipping on everything I order from them during the year, it's worth the $99. Before I got Prime I usually ordered enough to get free shipping anyway, and if not I just waited until I had enough things to order to get free shipping. I've mainly kept it for convenience. It's nice to be able to order something and have it in two days. Especially on birthdays and holidays. I don't think I've ever had a prime shipped package arrive late either.

avianflu wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 15:07:
"I've also never had anything ship USPS from them before if 2-day was selected, and I buy from them all the time."

You are lucky. I am in NYC area. Amazon CS was very clear that they will use USPS as needed and with no choice on my part.

I've had prime 2-day items delivered by USPS if the 2nd day is a Saturday. They use the UPS equivalent of FedEX SmartPost, UPS overnight's it to the local post office, then I get it delivered on Saturday from USPS instead of waiting until Monday for a UPS 2nd day delivery.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > BAFTA Winners
12. Re: BAFTA Winners Mar 12, 2014, 21:45 jimnms

They have some weird categories. Action and Adventure? Strategy and Simulation? Not all adventure games fall into the action category and very few strategy games would be considered simulations, or are many simulations strategy games.  

MeanJim on Steam

9. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 11, 2014, 14:31 jimnms

Wow looks like I got an upgrade and didn't know it. That broadband map showed my ISP offering speeds 50-100Mbs down and 2Mbs up. I know they offer a 50Mbs plan. I'm on the basic plan, and the last time I did a speed test I was getting 20Mbs down 1Mbs up.

Until a couple of years ago, here it was DSL in certain locations or Cable. Cable was definitely faster and more widely available. For the longest time I think I was on 4Mb/256Kb, then AT&T brought U-verse to town and the cable co. upgraded everyone to 10Mbs down but kept the upload at 256Kbs. At that time AT&T was offering up to 12Mbs. Each time AT&T pushed out faster speeds, the cable co. one upped them. The last bump was about 6 months ago, we went from 12Mbs/256Kbs to 20Mbs/512Kbs.

I just did a speed test and now it seems I've gotten an upgrade. I'm still at 20Mbs down, but my upload is now 2Mbs.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Interviews
7. Re: Evening Interviews Mar 11, 2014, 12:46 jimnms

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 22:22:
jimnms wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 22:02:
I watched some footage of the beta last week and it looks like crap, graphically

Must have a bad feed, the games gfx are very nice.

It wasn't a live stream, it was 1080p videos on YouTube. Graphically it's a step back from Skyrim. Something was off with the lighting too, hard to describe though, it was just too evenly lit and bland. The characters don't look like proper Elder Scrolls races either. They all look like modified human models, i.e. the orcs look like humans with fangs, elves look like humans with pointy ears.

This isn't my impression based on one person's video either. They were different videos by different people.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Interviews
3. Re: Evening Interviews Mar 10, 2014, 22:02 jimnms

nin wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 19:27:
The Elder Scrolls Online - Ask Us Anything

Why a MMO?

MMO Money Greedy

I watched some footage of the beta last week and it looks like crap, graphically and game play. Maybe it's an MMO thing, but the video I was watching was a guy and 3 or 4 people doing a quest. There was a part where they had to talk to a guy in a jail, do something for him, then release him from jail. While they were doing the quest, other parties were doing the same quest, and they had to wait in line while other people were talking to the guy before they could talk to him.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 10, 2014, 19:10 jimnms

nin wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 09:56:
Interesting. I didn't remember Riddick being on steam, much less pulled.

I bought it during Steam's winter sale way back in 2009, but I didn't know it had been pulled. The community forums say it was pulled because Atari went bankrupt and lost the license, but it's still available on GOG.

I thought the original Chronicles of Riddick was better than Assault on Dark Athena. Assault on Dark Athena includes a "remake" of the original game in the updated engine, but I remember there being some problems with it. I still have the disk for the original Chronicles of Riddick if I ever want to play the original again. If you've never played it, I highly recommend picking it up. It has some very good FPS melee combat. Beating people up in that game was so much fun.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > THIEF Patch & Tips
9. Re: THIEF Patch & Tips Mar 9, 2014, 18:24 jimnms

Pineapple Ferguson wrote on Mar 9, 2014, 12:56:
The graphics and atmosphere are great, but there are many teeth-grindingly annoying aspects, probably the most irritating being the necessity to mash a button to pry open windows.

I watched a couple of video (p)reviews of it. I mostly ignore the reviewer's opinions and watch the game play. None of them said anything about the windows though. One odd thing I did notice was that you had to pry open the windows even from inside a building. You're inside, why can't you unlatch it and just open it?

I have way too much on my to-play list, so this is definitely a wait for sale game. I still haven't gotten to Dishonored that I bought during this past fall/winter Steam sale.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
8. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 6, 2014, 14:50 jimnms

Topevoli wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 11:51:
Paid for by Hollywood, which ultimately comes out of our pockets in the form of higher licensing fees to Netflix, Redbox, increased costs of bluray discs etc.
Which will drive more people to pirate movies. It's a never ending cycle.

MeanJim on Steam

9. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 4, 2014, 20:21 jimnms

I still have a machine running XP. It's my old gaming rig, an AMD 64 X2 4400+ with 2GB of RAM and a GTX 260. I set it up for my niece to play games on. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it when XP support ends. I did put Windows 7 on it when I pulled it out and re-assembled it for her to use. There's one driver for it that is pre-Win7, and I think I used a driver for Windows Vista. It worked, but I didn't feel like wasting the license on it, so I put XP on it.

I thought about building a new machine for myself and letting her use my current system before XP expired, but I don't feel like I need a new machine yet. It's almost 4 years old with a few upgrades along the way like a GTX 660 and bumping the RAM from 4GB to 12GB. There aren't any games that really tax the system, and I'm running it at stock speed (Core i5 750 @ 2.66GHz).

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
17. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 2, 2014, 21:46 jimnms

Beamer wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 18:56:
How often do you guys print things?

I don't print a whole lot which is why I bought a laser printer+scanner several years ago. My mom on the other hand, if she had a printer she would probably print out everything on the internet. She is always wanting me to print stuff out for her. I got her a tablet a few years ago, and she'll forward emails to me asking me to print it out so she can have a copy to save. I keep telling her she doesn't need to print them out, they'll stay in her gmail archive unless she deletes them.

After college when I didn't need to print a lot of stuff anymore, I discovered that the ink cartridges would dry out after ~3 months whether you use them or not, and it seemed like every time I needed to print something the cartridge had dried out. I got tired of paying $30 per cartridge and only printing half a dozen or so pages per cartridge.

The laser printer cost me $90, and I believe it even had a mail-in rebate. It came with a starter toner cartridge good for ~50 pages. I lucked up because CompUSA went out of business shortly after buying the printer. We don't have one locally, but I happened to be in a city with one on their last day. I drove by and they had a sign saying last day of business everything 90% off. I found 4 toner cartridges for my printer and bought them all. I think they're good for 5000 pages each, so I'm set for life and then some on toner.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
7. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 2, 2014, 15:51 jimnms

I'll be surprised if we can get rid of fucking fax machines in 4 years.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
18. Re: Saturday Metaverse Feb 23, 2014, 08:44 jimnms

I think I'll buy a van, paint Google Fiber on the side and drive around town and hope to get my local cable co.'s attention.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Feb 18, 2014, 22:32 jimnms

jdreyer wrote on Feb 18, 2014, 19:57:
GODDAMMIT. Another Humble Bundle full of stuff I want: Swapper, Antichamber, Monaco, Dust. *sigh*

For me it's GODDAMMIT. Another Humble bundle full of games I already have and only one game I want. I think the last three bundles have been like that, and the only game I want and don't have was in the BTA tier. At least this time it's in the name your price tier, so I guess I can toss in a few bucks to get it.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Valve on VAC and Trust
9. Re: Valve on VAC and Trust Feb 18, 2014, 19:41 jimnms

People pay for cheats? Cheats have DRM? WTF is the world coming to? Wtf  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 10, 2014, 10:57 jimnms

Aww, did the troll get trolled?  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Bridge It (plus) Demo
4. Re: Bridge It (plus) Demo Feb 10, 2014, 10:55 jimnms

Dagnamit wrote on Feb 10, 2014, 09:13:
Something very satisfying about building a ridiculous contraption and having it work out. (or fall into a heap.)

You just described why I like Kerbal Space Program.

I also played the original Bridge Builder, and later Bridge Construction set (which I believe was the same thing as Pontifex 2). I have Bridge It from a bundle, but I never played it.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Slowed by Cash
8. Re: Pillars of Eternity Slowed by Cash Feb 8, 2014, 12:19 jimnms

The title had me worried for a second. When read the title the first thought that came to mind was that they were having cash problems from over designing the game due to all of the stretch goals. I'm glad they're taking the time to do it right and not rushing.

I just hope all of these big Kickstarted RPGs I backed (Wasteland 2, Project Eternity, Torment: Tides of Numenera, Divinity: Original Sin) aren't come out at the same time. It looks like WL2 and DOS might be coming out pretty close together though.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Stick of Truth Sticks it to Uplay; Preorders Underway
9. Re: Stick of Truth Sticks it to Uplay; Preorders Underway Feb 5, 2014, 11:22 jimnms

I'm glad Uplay isn't required, but I got off the Uplay hate wagon a while back. I can understand the complaint of buying an Ubisoft game on Steam and having to go through both Steam and Uplay, which is why I decided to buy Farcry 3 and Blood Dragon Uplay keys instead of Steam keys from Amazon during the winter sale. Uplay isn't bad, and it has never stopped me from playing either of those games.

I hope SP:SOT turns out good, but I'm not pre-ordering it, especially for $60. Not when Wasteland 2 and Divinity Original Sin are right around the corner. I've already put ~40 combined hours into the alpha versions of them.

MeanJim on Steam

2195 Comments. 110 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo