Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2150 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition Patch & Sale
3. Re: Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition Patch & Sale Jan 28, 2014, 19:32 jimnms

The first LAN party my friends and I ever setup was to play Duke Nukem 3D. Setting up a network in DOS was a bitch. If I remember, Duke3D only supported up to 4 players, and it was just death match. We tried to do our own 2v2 team DM, but we kept killing each other because everyone was different colors.  

Steam Profile
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
13. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 27, 2014, 19:55 jimnms

Cutter wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 16:44:
This is good because it'll help put a stop to all the climate denying idiots and industries that support them.
You're giving idiots too much credit.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Jan 23, 2014, 19:13 jimnms

I'll never know because the first question requires watching a Justin Bieber video.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 22, 2014, 22:51 jimnms

nin wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 19:40:
Think the most I ever paid for a video card was either $400 or $500. And even though it was a screamer, I still had slight buyers remorse for spending that much...

When building a new system or upgrading video cards, I used shop in the $300 ($50) range. I think I bought one close to $400 once. The last card I bought was about 1.5-2 years ago when my GPU suddenly died. I had a GTX 470 at the time, which I think was $300+ when I bought it new. It was running everything I had maxed out or close to it. I had an old GTX 260 laying around to use while I shopped for a new one. I was surprised to still able to play most games maxed out with that old card, so I didn't see the need for a new $300 card. I ended up buying a GTX 660OC for under $200.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Games for Windows LIVE Deathwatch
34. Re: Games for Windows LIVE Deathwatch Jan 19, 2014, 05:28 jimnms

Jerykk wrote on Jan 18, 2014, 19:46:
Unfortunately, you can't use DLC with offline accounts. Also, I think some games require online accounts.

At least with Fallout 3 you can. Even if you bought the DLC through GFWL, the DLC files had no DRM on them and could be moved into the Fallout3\Data directory and activated with the launcher.

NegaDeath wrote on Jan 18, 2014, 22:53:
Here's the thing though, that's a stupid fucking feature. A platform that has different save files between online and offline modes deserves to die.

And it doesn't solve the issue of GFWL eating save files between play sessions.

So Steam should die too? If you enable cloud saves on Steamworks games, your save files are placed in Steam's userdata directory. When you disable cloud saving the game stores the saves in the typical places (either your documents directory, the game's directory).

I never had GFWL "eat" save files for either Fallout 3 or GTA IV. GFWL was set to offline and the save files for those games were stored in the My Documents directory, not GFWL's directory. Steam has been known to "eat" save files too, which is why I disabled Steam cloud completely. When I tried to start a new game of DXHR, after quitting it would delete my new game's saves and re-download my old game saves from the cloud every time.

Steam Profile

31. Re: Games for Windows LIVE Deathwatch Jan 18, 2014, 18:47 jimnms

Panickd wrote on Jan 17, 2014, 19:17:
Fallout 3 was already recently patched to drop GFWL. I cant imagine Rockstar not eventually rolling something out for GTA IV to rid themselves of it.

The Steam version was rumored to have removed GFWL, but I have yet to see anything official on this. The latest patch for the disk version is still v1.7 from 2009.

Ryan Lange wrote on Jan 17, 2014, 21:22:
You've obviously never reinstalled Windows and then attempted to continue with a save from before the reinstall.

I've only played two games that made use of GFWL (Batman: Arkham Asylum and Grand Theft Auto IV) and lost all progress in both of them thanks to GFWL. I haven't played either game since that happened.

Fuck GFWL.

You probably used an online GFWL account. You do realize you can create an offline account and NEVER have to connect to GFWL. The save files are then stored in the game's directory instead of in the GFWL cloud save and buried somewhere in the appdata GFWL directory structure.

And yes, I have used saves from previous installs made on different machines for both Fallout 3 and GTA IV. I like to backup my save files after finishing games. Before I played through Fallout 3 GOTY with a new character, I loaded a save made from my first game of Fallout 3 into the GOTY so I could play through the DLC.

I kept my 100% complete saves from GTA IV, TLAD and TBOGT which worked fine when I loaded them on GTA IV after building a new computer.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Wallace and Gromit's Grand Adventures No Longer Being Sold
1. Re: Wallace and Gromit's Grand Adventures No Longer Being Sold Jan 17, 2014, 19:13 jimnms

It looks like it's been removed from GOG as well. I got it from GOG a while back as part of a sale bundle, and later got it again from a Humble bundle.  

Steam Profile

7. Re: Games for Windows LIVE Deathwatch Jan 17, 2014, 19:07 jimnms

The only two games I have that use GFWL are Fallout 3 and GTA IV. Neither of those used it as DRM though, but I still wonder if it will be patched out. I don't have Fallout 3 installed, but I do still have GTA IV installed. I use a GFWL disabler on it. Fallout 3 is the GOTY edition on disk, and I do have GTA IV on disk, but what I have installed is a digital version from Amazon because my disk is damaged. I guess I still have to have GFWL installed, and if/when I reinstall these it will still install GFWL.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Jan 15, 2014, 13:34 jimnms

The problem with deleting those redist. files as I discovered when I used to delete them manually is that when the game gets a patch, it does a check to verify the files and will see those as missing files and re-download them.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 13, 2014, 21:31 jimnms

So what happens to all of the companies that paid the troll toll? Can they sue the troll to get their money back? I really hope so, and I hope they do.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Steam Top 10
34. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 13, 2014, 21:25 jimnms

LesCaster wrote on Jan 13, 2014, 13:12:
True. The problem is that there enough people out there that will buy incomplete games thus ensuring that the practice continues. So, if it's the selling of unfinished games that one is opposed to, which I happen to be, then my not buying it won't really "solve" the problem.

There isn't much difference between buying early access and Kickstarter type projects. At least with early access there is a product that you can begin playing right away, some even have demos. The money going to an early access game is sort of like a pledge because it's supposed to be going toward farther development of the game, but you get to begin playing the early alpha/beta right away rather than wait 1-2 years before seeing anything.

Steam Profile

8. Re: G+ Jan 13, 2014, 12:21 jimnms

Ant wrote on Jan 13, 2014, 09:22:
YouTube requires it though!
Only if you want to post comments on videos.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Steam Top 10
24. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 12, 2014, 19:21 jimnms

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 12, 2014, 14:04:
Beelzebud wrote on Jan 12, 2014, 13:52:
2014 is going to be the year that "early access" either proves itself, or crashes and burns like an airship called Titanic Hindenberg.

There is a lot of games right now that people are waiting on, and most of them got delayed (ha) to this year. Personally I'm done buying these until a few of the ones I did buy get finished up.

I nearly bought DayZ until I read that they think they'll be able to call it beta a year from now. Great for the ppl that don't mind, but count me out.

Yea, I think I am done with early access. Once I play the hell out of it - I probably won't come back when the game is "finished". I don't see early access being good for gaming.

I think it depends on the game. I've only bought two early access games on Steam, one of which is Kerbal Space Program. Although it's still in early alpha, it's more stable and complete than many "finished" games. It's also fun as hell, and I can't stop playing it. Even if I do eventually burn out before release, I've already gotten more than my moneys worth out of it. I'm currently at 180+ hours and I haven't even traveled to any other planets yet, so there's still plenty to do.

Minecraft, though it wasn't the first "early access" game, it's probably the most successful, and I guess everyone's trying to get in on that. I bought Minecraft while it was in beta and played the hell out of it during beta and for quite a while after release. I originally played it with a couple of friends at first, but continued to play it solo after our schedules changed and we could never get coordinated to play together. I kind of burned out on it a few releases ago though. It seems that development has accelerated on it since it's "official" release. Each major release, which seem to happen about every 3 months, add new features to the world, which you can only get access to by starting a new game, or traveling far enough in an existing game where new terrain gets generated. I mainly got tired or having to start over to get access to the new stuff.

Steam Profile

5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 10, 2014, 04:23 jimnms

Beamer wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 14:07:
All Google accounts are Google+ now, aren't they? Or is it just all Gmail accounts (but I thought all Gmail accounts were Google accounts.)
Google accounts and gmail accounts aren't automatically Google+, but they ask you so damn often, most people either finally accept it so it quits asking or accidentally click the accept button when they're in a hurry and log into gmail. I access my gmail accounts using Thunderbird over IMAP, so I don't see the gmail interface that often. I have one for public use and one for private use. I had to log into my private use gmail account today to update a spam filter, and it tried to get me to sign up for Google+. I declined, but there's this big "sign up" button on the top right of the gmail web interface.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Fallout 3 Removes GFWL?
50. Re: Fallout 3 Removes GFWL? Jan 8, 2014, 19:07 jimnms

Dev wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 00:52:
As I recall, GFWL was basically entirely optional in FO3, unless you got the DLC through it.

Even if you bought the DLC through GFWL, those were DRM free as well. You could move the files from wherever GFWL put them into the Fallout 3\Data directory and enable them with the launcher or a mod manager.

Steam Profile

44. Re: Fallout 3 Removes GFWL? Jan 7, 2014, 23:50 jimnms

noman wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 18:58:
I have FO3:GOTY boxed version and it can be played without ever logging on to GFWL. For that matter, once patched using standalone updates, the game can be run without disc as well, by using the fallout3 executable directly instead of the launcher application.

It's the best version of the game when run in this manner - not saddled with Steam, GFWL or any other DRM mechanism.

I think it's always been like that. I had the original boxed version from release day, then I bought the GOTY boxed version later because it was $5 cheaper than buying all the DLC. The disk check was only on the launcher, and neither one required the disk when running from the Fallout3.exe.

Steam Profile

33. Re: Fallout 3 Removes GFWL? Jan 7, 2014, 15:00 jimnms

Panickd wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 11:25:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 10:57:
Obligatory: I liked Fallout 3 better But yeah, when it comes down to it Bethesda is one of the few companies making games I actually enjoyed playing. Lots of time spent in Fallout 3 and NV with tons of mods. Though I gotta say.. the next game by Beth better be 64bit trough and through and not use Gamebryo

Fallout 3 is one of the few games where I've actually had my attention locked to it from beginning to end. It was a great story. New Vegas was good but not great and riddled with annoying bugs that made it pretty obvious that Bethesda didn't make it (Obsidian has a habit of taking their stuff to about 85-90% of the way to perfect and then going, "Meh. Good enough!").

But whatever Bethesda does next I can almost guarantee you they won't be killing off Gamebryo. Even if they take it 64 bit, even if they rewrite a lot of aspects to drag it kicking and screaming into the next generation I am sure they'll be sticking with it (under different names, of course). They're not a burn it to the ground and start over sort of developer. But then very few are.

Funny, I feel like Bethesda games are 85-90% complete (if that much). I love the original Fallout games, and I liked Fallout 3. I thought it was a good story in the Fallout universe, but I felt it was half a assed attempt by someone that never played the originals. Maybe they read a strategy guide of Fallout and thought they could do a good enough job.

The world was beautiful in a post apocalyptic way, but it was little things like the weapons using the wrong ammo and finding fully stocked grocery stores yards away from towns/camps. Seriously, did no one think to go loot that place in 200 years? Ammo was weightless and there was way too much pre-war food, which served no purpose in the game. It did have minor healing properties, but you couldn't walk two feet in the game without tripping over a stimpak. Fallout 3 was a good story in the Fallout universe, but a poorly balanced game.

Steam Profile

30. Re: Fallout 3 Removes GFWL? Jan 7, 2014, 14:43 jimnms

What about those of us with boxed copies of FO3? I really doubt I will play FO3 again. GFWL wasn't used as DRM for FO3 though. It was there only for achievements and to sell DLC. I used an offline GFWL account and never once had to connect to GFWL (it was even blocked in my firewall). Other than the little popup during loading telling you what key to press to open the GFWL overlay, I didn't notice it there.

On my second play I had the GOTY edition and modded it. Using FOSE and the 4GB patch disabled GFWL anyway, so I had forgotten it was a GFWL title.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Fallouts Returning to Steam
31. Re: Fallouts Returning to Steam Jan 6, 2014, 13:51 jimnms

Jerykk wrote on Jan 5, 2014, 04:40:
If Steam is required to install the game (which is true of all games on Steam), it is DRM. Just like CD-keys and online activations and limited installs are DRM. If you want to install the game, you have to have a Steam account, the game has to be linked to your account and Steam has to be installed and running.

Only GOG is truly DRM-free, as once you download the game, you can do whatever you want with it. No accounts or third-party software necessary to install and run the game.

Once again, Steam is a store and a service, nothing more. Steamworks contains a DRM component that publishers can chose to use or not. There are many DRM free games sold on Steam that do not require Steam to be running to play it. Why is that so hard to understand? You can backup the game files after downloading, uninstall Steam and never use Steam again and still be able to play that game.

You keep saying crap like "If you want to install the game, you have to have a Steam account." Well if you want to install a game from GOG you have to have a GOG account!

There is no difference in buying a DRM free game from Steam or GOG? both require you to have an account to buy and download the game.

Edit: Fixed quote

This comment was edited on Jan 8, 2014, 19:01.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Fallouts Returning to Steam
28. Re: Fallouts Returning to Steam Jan 4, 2014, 19:48 jimnms

Jerykk wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 16:28:
Steam is definitely DRM. You have to create an account and any games you buy are tied to that account. That = DRM. Anything used to restrict usage of a game, whether it be a CD-key, a disc check, online activations, limited installs or an account requirement, is DRM.

That's not to say Steam is bad. Steam is awesome. But it is DRM.

Did you just skip the entire conversation? I posted this on the first page of the comments. Steam is a digital distributor, not DRM. Publishers can chose to use the Steamworks DRM component, and many do not. There are a lot of games on Steam that can run without Steam. I posted a link in that post, and Dev reposted it three whole posts before yours.

Steam Profile

2150 Comments. 108 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo