Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2170 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Interviews
7. Re: Evening Interviews Mar 11, 2014, 12:46 jimnms

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 22:22:
jimnms wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 22:02:
I watched some footage of the beta last week and it looks like crap, graphically

Must have a bad feed, the games gfx are very nice.

It wasn't a live stream, it was 1080p videos on YouTube. Graphically it's a step back from Skyrim. Something was off with the lighting too, hard to describe though, it was just too evenly lit and bland. The characters don't look like proper Elder Scrolls races either. They all look like modified human models, i.e. the orcs look like humans with fangs, elves look like humans with pointy ears.

This isn't my impression based on one person's video either. They were different videos by different people.

Steam Profile
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Interviews
3. Re: Evening Interviews Mar 10, 2014, 22:02 jimnms

nin wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 19:27:
The Elder Scrolls Online - Ask Us Anything

Why a MMO?

MMO Money Greedy

I watched some footage of the beta last week and it looks like crap, graphically and game play. Maybe it's an MMO thing, but the video I was watching was a guy and 3 or 4 people doing a quest. There was a part where they had to talk to a guy in a jail, do something for him, then release him from jail. While they were doing the quest, other parties were doing the same quest, and they had to wait in line while other people were talking to the guy before they could talk to him.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 10, 2014, 19:10 jimnms

nin wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 09:56:
Interesting. I didn't remember Riddick being on steam, much less pulled.

I bought it during Steam's winter sale way back in 2009, but I didn't know it had been pulled. The community forums say it was pulled because Atari went bankrupt and lost the license, but it's still available on GOG.

I thought the original Chronicles of Riddick was better than Assault on Dark Athena. Assault on Dark Athena includes a "remake" of the original game in the updated engine, but I remember there being some problems with it. I still have the disk for the original Chronicles of Riddick if I ever want to play the original again. If you've never played it, I highly recommend picking it up. It has some very good FPS melee combat. Beating people up in that game was so much fun.

Steam Profile

News Comments > THIEF Patch & Tips
9. Re: THIEF Patch & Tips Mar 9, 2014, 18:24 jimnms

Pineapple Ferguson wrote on Mar 9, 2014, 12:56:
The graphics and atmosphere are great, but there are many teeth-grindingly annoying aspects, probably the most irritating being the necessity to mash a button to pry open windows.

I watched a couple of video (p)reviews of it. I mostly ignore the reviewer's opinions and watch the game play. None of them said anything about the windows though. One odd thing I did notice was that you had to pry open the windows even from inside a building. You're inside, why can't you unlatch it and just open it?

I have way too much on my to-play list, so this is definitely a wait for sale game. I still haven't gotten to Dishonored that I bought during this past fall/winter Steam sale.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
8. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 6, 2014, 14:50 jimnms

Topevoli wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 11:51:
Paid for by Hollywood, which ultimately comes out of our pockets in the form of higher licensing fees to Netflix, Redbox, increased costs of bluray discs etc.
Which will drive more people to pirate movies. It's a never ending cycle.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
9. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 4, 2014, 20:21 jimnms

I still have a machine running XP. It's my old gaming rig, an AMD 64 X2 4400+ with 2GB of RAM and a GTX 260. I set it up for my niece to play games on. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it when XP support ends. I did put Windows 7 on it when I pulled it out and re-assembled it for her to use. There's one driver for it that is pre-Win7, and I think I used a driver for Windows Vista. It worked, but I didn't feel like wasting the license on it, so I put XP on it.

I thought about building a new machine for myself and letting her use my current system before XP expired, but I don't feel like I need a new machine yet. It's almost 4 years old with a few upgrades along the way like a GTX 660 and bumping the RAM from 4GB to 12GB. There aren't any games that really tax the system, and I'm running it at stock speed (Core i5 750 @ 2.66GHz).

Steam Profile

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
17. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 2, 2014, 21:46 jimnms

Beamer wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 18:56:
How often do you guys print things?

I don't print a whole lot which is why I bought a laser printer+scanner several years ago. My mom on the other hand, if she had a printer she would probably print out everything on the internet. She is always wanting me to print stuff out for her. I got her a tablet a few years ago, and she'll forward emails to me asking me to print it out so she can have a copy to save. I keep telling her she doesn't need to print them out, they'll stay in her gmail archive unless she deletes them.

After college when I didn't need to print a lot of stuff anymore, I discovered that the ink cartridges would dry out after ~3 months whether you use them or not, and it seemed like every time I needed to print something the cartridge had dried out. I got tired of paying $30 per cartridge and only printing half a dozen or so pages per cartridge.

The laser printer cost me $90, and I believe it even had a mail-in rebate. It came with a starter toner cartridge good for ~50 pages. I lucked up because CompUSA went out of business shortly after buying the printer. We don't have one locally, but I happened to be in a city with one on their last day. I drove by and they had a sign saying last day of business everything 90% off. I found 4 toner cartridges for my printer and bought them all. I think they're good for 5000 pages each, so I'm set for life and then some on toner.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
7. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 2, 2014, 15:51 jimnms

I'll be surprised if we can get rid of fucking fax machines in 4 years.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
18. Re: Saturday Metaverse Feb 23, 2014, 08:44 jimnms

I think I'll buy a van, paint Google Fiber on the side and drive around town and hope to get my local cable co.'s attention.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Feb 18, 2014, 22:32 jimnms

jdreyer wrote on Feb 18, 2014, 19:57:
GODDAMMIT. Another Humble Bundle full of stuff I want: Swapper, Antichamber, Monaco, Dust. *sigh*

For me it's GODDAMMIT. Another Humble bundle full of games I already have and only one game I want. I think the last three bundles have been like that, and the only game I want and don't have was in the BTA tier. At least this time it's in the name your price tier, so I guess I can toss in a few bucks to get it.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Valve on VAC and Trust
9. Re: Valve on VAC and Trust Feb 18, 2014, 19:41 jimnms

People pay for cheats? Cheats have DRM? WTF is the world coming to? Wtf  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 10, 2014, 10:57 jimnms

Aww, did the troll get trolled?  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Bridge It (plus) Demo
4. Re: Bridge It (plus) Demo Feb 10, 2014, 10:55 jimnms

Dagnamit wrote on Feb 10, 2014, 09:13:
Something very satisfying about building a ridiculous contraption and having it work out. (or fall into a heap.)

You just described why I like Kerbal Space Program.

I also played the original Bridge Builder, and later Bridge Construction set (which I believe was the same thing as Pontifex 2). I have Bridge It from a bundle, but I never played it.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Slowed by Cash
8. Re: Pillars of Eternity Slowed by Cash Feb 8, 2014, 12:19 jimnms

The title had me worried for a second. When read the title the first thought that came to mind was that they were having cash problems from over designing the game due to all of the stretch goals. I'm glad they're taking the time to do it right and not rushing.

I just hope all of these big Kickstarted RPGs I backed (Wasteland 2, Project Eternity, Torment: Tides of Numenera, Divinity: Original Sin) aren't come out at the same time. It looks like WL2 and DOS might be coming out pretty close together though.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Stick of Truth Sticks it to Uplay; Preorders Underway
9. Re: Stick of Truth Sticks it to Uplay; Preorders Underway Feb 5, 2014, 11:22 jimnms

I'm glad Uplay isn't required, but I got off the Uplay hate wagon a while back. I can understand the complaint of buying an Ubisoft game on Steam and having to go through both Steam and Uplay, which is why I decided to buy Farcry 3 and Blood Dragon Uplay keys instead of Steam keys from Amazon during the winter sale. Uplay isn't bad, and it has never stopped me from playing either of those games.

I hope SP:SOT turns out good, but I'm not pre-ordering it, especially for $60. Not when Wasteland 2 and Divinity Original Sin are right around the corner. I've already put ~40 combined hours into the alpha versions of them.

Steam Profile

News Comments > PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales
36. Re: PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales Feb 3, 2014, 08:40 jimnms

ItBurn wrote on Feb 2, 2014, 16:14:
I haven't played vanilla Minecraft in... like a year. They BARELY update the game. Mojang is doing a TERRIBLE job updating the game. Modders are doing all of the work. Trust me, play with mods, it's the only way. There are mod packs with their own launchers that auto-download everything and set themselves up for you.

They release minor patches about once a month, and major patches about every 3 months. The last 3 major patches have added new bioms and blocks, which as I said, are only available in newly generated terrain or new worlds. It's the same or worse with mods. Any new features added in the world generator can only be acquired by traveling to newly generated terrain or starting a new world.

Steam Profile

News Comments > PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales
17. Re: PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales Feb 2, 2014, 15:11 jimnms

I bought Minecraft while it was in Beta, and I've grown tired of it. I'm not bored with it, I'm just tired of starting over after each patch. I know you don't have to start over, but they keep adding new features to the world, which is awesome that they're still adding content, but you can't get in an existing game unless you travel out past land that has already been generated.

As with most games, it's best played with friends. I played it with a couple of friends when I first got it. We played the hell out of it up until the last beta update before 1.0. That was when they rewrote the world generator and added a lot of new things. We had build a lot of cool stuff and had a rail system running between all of our buildings and mine sites. It was cool, but when this new version came out we decided to start over so we could play with the new stuff. After a few days we quit playing together. I was kind of excited to start fresh, but we did miss our old world. I think it was a combination of missing the old world and everything we built, the idea of having to do it all again from scratch and starting in a crappy swamp biome, the others decided to call it quits. I continued to play alone for a while.

Once 1.0 or so came out, I played a survival game with the goal of going to the End World and killing the Ender Dragon. That wasn't that hard, and I don't see the need to do it again. I started a few solo games with the intent on playing survival and building stuff, but then each time they add some new feature, I'd want to start over so I could have that in my world. Eventually I just got tired of starting over, so now I'm waiting for things to settle down before I go back to it.

Steam Profile

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. SiN Jan 31, 2014, 01:44 jimnms

I loved SiN back in the day. I have it on Steam, but I don't know if it has the expansion pack. I think it came with the pre-order of the SiN Episodes. I thought it was available by itself on Steam, but I don't see it. SiN Episode one was good, it sucks that they didn't continue it. Someone should remake the original SiN in Source like Black Mesa did for Half-Life (except don't take 10 fucking years).  

Steam Profile

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 31, 2014, 01:21 jimnms

jdreyer wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 14:01:
Was I the only one to read this great article on KSP that Blue posted in Interviews last night?

I read it (I was the one to submit it).

1badmf wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 14:12:
i read half of it, why? KSP is great, but i still feel it's missing... something. narrative i think. right now it's a great educational tool and should be adopted by all schools like oregon trail was, but it needs narrative to be a proper game. like a space race to save the planet from something.

Keep reading. Go down to the section titled "Separation Stage" where they talk about a mission pack being made in partnership with NASA for KSP that challenges players to land a Kerbal on an asteroid. They're also creating an educational version of KSP for schools.

The game is still in Alpha. They just implemented the first part of the career mode a few months ago. They are planning to introduce currency and expand the career mode to include contracts in next version. I don't see why you can't give yourself a challenge to complete using sandbox mode though. That's what I did before career mode.

The game already supports custom scenarios. A teacher can create a scenario with a crashed ship on the Mun and challenge the kids to build a rescue ship to rescue the stranded crew. I believe with scenarios you can limit the parts available, and when currency is added, you can give them a budget as well. So you can challenge kids to do something, and whoever does it with the lowest budget wins.

Steam Profile

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2014, 02:15 jimnms

InBlack wrote on Jan 29, 2014, 09:45:
Duke3d was cool and fun. Doom2's multiplayer was better from a purely competitive outlook, but yeah....Hail to the King Baby!

I remember tying up the phone for hours every night playing Doom2 coop with a friend. I actually owe Doom2 a thanks because many of my best friends that I still keep in touch with I met due to Doom2. There was a local BBS in town back then that had a deal where you could leave a message for other people to see when they logged off. Just for the hell of it, I posted a Doom2 challenge and left my phone number.

That one message eventually led to a small group of us having little tournaments over the phone, then on to 6 of us starting our first LAN party. A few years later we were having ~20ish people weekly LAN parties playing Quake. It started out with just our group, and then someone would invite a friend, then that friend would invite a friend. Eventually word spread around town and other people just started showing up.

Those were the best days. With internet now I can jump in a game with 64 player with VOIP any time I want, but it just isn't the same. Nothing beats being in the same room with 20 other people playing the game and yelling across the room.

Steam Profile

2170 Comments. 109 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo