Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2162 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
18. Re: Saturday Metaverse Feb 23, 2014, 08:44 jimnms

I think I'll buy a van, paint Google Fiber on the side and drive around town and hope to get my local cable co.'s attention.  

Steam Profile
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Feb 18, 2014, 22:32 jimnms

jdreyer wrote on Feb 18, 2014, 19:57:
GODDAMMIT. Another Humble Bundle full of stuff I want: Swapper, Antichamber, Monaco, Dust. *sigh*

For me it's GODDAMMIT. Another Humble bundle full of games I already have and only one game I want. I think the last three bundles have been like that, and the only game I want and don't have was in the BTA tier. At least this time it's in the name your price tier, so I guess I can toss in a few bucks to get it.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Valve on VAC and Trust
9. Re: Valve on VAC and Trust Feb 18, 2014, 19:41 jimnms

People pay for cheats? Cheats have DRM? WTF is the world coming to? Wtf  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 10, 2014, 10:57 jimnms

Aww, did the troll get trolled?  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Bridge It (plus) Demo
4. Re: Bridge It (plus) Demo Feb 10, 2014, 10:55 jimnms

Dagnamit wrote on Feb 10, 2014, 09:13:
Something very satisfying about building a ridiculous contraption and having it work out. (or fall into a heap.)

You just described why I like Kerbal Space Program.

I also played the original Bridge Builder, and later Bridge Construction set (which I believe was the same thing as Pontifex 2). I have Bridge It from a bundle, but I never played it.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Slowed by Cash
8. Re: Pillars of Eternity Slowed by Cash Feb 8, 2014, 12:19 jimnms

The title had me worried for a second. When read the title the first thought that came to mind was that they were having cash problems from over designing the game due to all of the stretch goals. I'm glad they're taking the time to do it right and not rushing.

I just hope all of these big Kickstarted RPGs I backed (Wasteland 2, Project Eternity, Torment: Tides of Numenera, Divinity: Original Sin) aren't come out at the same time. It looks like WL2 and DOS might be coming out pretty close together though.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Stick of Truth Sticks it to Uplay; Preorders Underway
9. Re: Stick of Truth Sticks it to Uplay; Preorders Underway Feb 5, 2014, 11:22 jimnms

I'm glad Uplay isn't required, but I got off the Uplay hate wagon a while back. I can understand the complaint of buying an Ubisoft game on Steam and having to go through both Steam and Uplay, which is why I decided to buy Farcry 3 and Blood Dragon Uplay keys instead of Steam keys from Amazon during the winter sale. Uplay isn't bad, and it has never stopped me from playing either of those games.

I hope SP:SOT turns out good, but I'm not pre-ordering it, especially for $60. Not when Wasteland 2 and Divinity Original Sin are right around the corner. I've already put ~40 combined hours into the alpha versions of them.

Steam Profile

News Comments > PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales
36. Re: PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales Feb 3, 2014, 08:40 jimnms

ItBurn wrote on Feb 2, 2014, 16:14:
I haven't played vanilla Minecraft in... like a year. They BARELY update the game. Mojang is doing a TERRIBLE job updating the game. Modders are doing all of the work. Trust me, play with mods, it's the only way. There are mod packs with their own launchers that auto-download everything and set themselves up for you.

They release minor patches about once a month, and major patches about every 3 months. The last 3 major patches have added new bioms and blocks, which as I said, are only available in newly generated terrain or new worlds. It's the same or worse with mods. Any new features added in the world generator can only be acquired by traveling to newly generated terrain or starting a new world.

Steam Profile

News Comments > PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales
17. Re: PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales Feb 2, 2014, 15:11 jimnms

I bought Minecraft while it was in Beta, and I've grown tired of it. I'm not bored with it, I'm just tired of starting over after each patch. I know you don't have to start over, but they keep adding new features to the world, which is awesome that they're still adding content, but you can't get in an existing game unless you travel out past land that has already been generated.

As with most games, it's best played with friends. I played it with a couple of friends when I first got it. We played the hell out of it up until the last beta update before 1.0. That was when they rewrote the world generator and added a lot of new things. We had build a lot of cool stuff and had a rail system running between all of our buildings and mine sites. It was cool, but when this new version came out we decided to start over so we could play with the new stuff. After a few days we quit playing together. I was kind of excited to start fresh, but we did miss our old world. I think it was a combination of missing the old world and everything we built, the idea of having to do it all again from scratch and starting in a crappy swamp biome, the others decided to call it quits. I continued to play alone for a while.

Once 1.0 or so came out, I played a survival game with the goal of going to the End World and killing the Ender Dragon. That wasn't that hard, and I don't see the need to do it again. I started a few solo games with the intent on playing survival and building stuff, but then each time they add some new feature, I'd want to start over so I could have that in my world. Eventually I just got tired of starting over, so now I'm waiting for things to settle down before I go back to it.

Steam Profile

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. SiN Jan 31, 2014, 01:44 jimnms

I loved SiN back in the day. I have it on Steam, but I don't know if it has the expansion pack. I think it came with the pre-order of the SiN Episodes. I thought it was available by itself on Steam, but I don't see it. SiN Episode one was good, it sucks that they didn't continue it. Someone should remake the original SiN in Source like Black Mesa did for Half-Life (except don't take 10 fucking years).  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 31, 2014, 01:21 jimnms

jdreyer wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 14:01:
Was I the only one to read this great article on KSP that Blue posted in Interviews last night?

I read it (I was the one to submit it).

1badmf wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 14:12:
i read half of it, why? KSP is great, but i still feel it's missing... something. narrative i think. right now it's a great educational tool and should be adopted by all schools like oregon trail was, but it needs narrative to be a proper game. like a space race to save the planet from something.

Keep reading. Go down to the section titled "Separation Stage" where they talk about a mission pack being made in partnership with NASA for KSP that challenges players to land a Kerbal on an asteroid. They're also creating an educational version of KSP for schools.

The game is still in Alpha. They just implemented the first part of the career mode a few months ago. They are planning to introduce currency and expand the career mode to include contracts in next version. I don't see why you can't give yourself a challenge to complete using sandbox mode though. That's what I did before career mode.

The game already supports custom scenarios. A teacher can create a scenario with a crashed ship on the Mun and challenge the kids to build a rescue ship to rescue the stranded crew. I believe with scenarios you can limit the parts available, and when currency is added, you can give them a budget as well. So you can challenge kids to do something, and whoever does it with the lowest budget wins.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2014, 02:15 jimnms

InBlack wrote on Jan 29, 2014, 09:45:
Duke3d was cool and fun. Doom2's multiplayer was better from a purely competitive outlook, but yeah....Hail to the King Baby!

I remember tying up the phone for hours every night playing Doom2 coop with a friend. I actually owe Doom2 a thanks because many of my best friends that I still keep in touch with I met due to Doom2. There was a local BBS in town back then that had a deal where you could leave a message for other people to see when they logged off. Just for the hell of it, I posted a Doom2 challenge and left my phone number.

That one message eventually led to a small group of us having little tournaments over the phone, then on to 6 of us starting our first LAN party. A few years later we were having ~20ish people weekly LAN parties playing Quake. It started out with just our group, and then someone would invite a friend, then that friend would invite a friend. Eventually word spread around town and other people just started showing up.

Those were the best days. With internet now I can jump in a game with 64 player with VOIP any time I want, but it just isn't the same. Nothing beats being in the same room with 20 other people playing the game and yelling across the room.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition Patch & Sale
3. Re: Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition Patch & Sale Jan 28, 2014, 19:32 jimnms

The first LAN party my friends and I ever setup was to play Duke Nukem 3D. Setting up a network in DOS was a bitch. If I remember, Duke3D only supported up to 4 players, and it was just death match. We tried to do our own 2v2 team DM, but we kept killing each other because everyone was different colors.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
13. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 27, 2014, 19:55 jimnms

Cutter wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 16:44:
This is good because it'll help put a stop to all the climate denying idiots and industries that support them.
You're giving idiots too much credit.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Jan 23, 2014, 19:13 jimnms

I'll never know because the first question requires watching a Justin Bieber video.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 22, 2014, 22:51 jimnms

nin wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 19:40:
Think the most I ever paid for a video card was either $400 or $500. And even though it was a screamer, I still had slight buyers remorse for spending that much...

When building a new system or upgrading video cards, I used shop in the $300 ($50) range. I think I bought one close to $400 once. The last card I bought was about 1.5-2 years ago when my GPU suddenly died. I had a GTX 470 at the time, which I think was $300+ when I bought it new. It was running everything I had maxed out or close to it. I had an old GTX 260 laying around to use while I shopped for a new one. I was surprised to still able to play most games maxed out with that old card, so I didn't see the need for a new $300 card. I ended up buying a GTX 660OC for under $200.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Games for Windows LIVE Deathwatch
34. Re: Games for Windows LIVE Deathwatch Jan 19, 2014, 05:28 jimnms

Jerykk wrote on Jan 18, 2014, 19:46:
Unfortunately, you can't use DLC with offline accounts. Also, I think some games require online accounts.

At least with Fallout 3 you can. Even if you bought the DLC through GFWL, the DLC files had no DRM on them and could be moved into the Fallout3\Data directory and activated with the launcher.

NegaDeath wrote on Jan 18, 2014, 22:53:
Here's the thing though, that's a stupid fucking feature. A platform that has different save files between online and offline modes deserves to die.

And it doesn't solve the issue of GFWL eating save files between play sessions.

So Steam should die too? If you enable cloud saves on Steamworks games, your save files are placed in Steam's userdata directory. When you disable cloud saving the game stores the saves in the typical places (either your documents directory, the game's directory).

I never had GFWL "eat" save files for either Fallout 3 or GTA IV. GFWL was set to offline and the save files for those games were stored in the My Documents directory, not GFWL's directory. Steam has been known to "eat" save files too, which is why I disabled Steam cloud completely. When I tried to start a new game of DXHR, after quitting it would delete my new game's saves and re-download my old game saves from the cloud every time.

Steam Profile

31. Re: Games for Windows LIVE Deathwatch Jan 18, 2014, 18:47 jimnms

Panickd wrote on Jan 17, 2014, 19:17:
Fallout 3 was already recently patched to drop GFWL. I cant imagine Rockstar not eventually rolling something out for GTA IV to rid themselves of it.

The Steam version was rumored to have removed GFWL, but I have yet to see anything official on this. The latest patch for the disk version is still v1.7 from 2009.

Ryan Lange wrote on Jan 17, 2014, 21:22:
You've obviously never reinstalled Windows and then attempted to continue with a save from before the reinstall.

I've only played two games that made use of GFWL (Batman: Arkham Asylum and Grand Theft Auto IV) and lost all progress in both of them thanks to GFWL. I haven't played either game since that happened.

Fuck GFWL.

You probably used an online GFWL account. You do realize you can create an offline account and NEVER have to connect to GFWL. The save files are then stored in the game's directory instead of in the GFWL cloud save and buried somewhere in the appdata GFWL directory structure.

And yes, I have used saves from previous installs made on different machines for both Fallout 3 and GTA IV. I like to backup my save files after finishing games. Before I played through Fallout 3 GOTY with a new character, I loaded a save made from my first game of Fallout 3 into the GOTY so I could play through the DLC.

I kept my 100% complete saves from GTA IV, TLAD and TBOGT which worked fine when I loaded them on GTA IV after building a new computer.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Wallace and Gromit's Grand Adventures No Longer Being Sold
1. Re: Wallace and Gromit's Grand Adventures No Longer Being Sold Jan 17, 2014, 19:13 jimnms

It looks like it's been removed from GOG as well. I got it from GOG a while back as part of a sale bundle, and later got it again from a Humble bundle.  

Steam Profile

7. Re: Games for Windows LIVE Deathwatch Jan 17, 2014, 19:07 jimnms

The only two games I have that use GFWL are Fallout 3 and GTA IV. Neither of those used it as DRM though, but I still wonder if it will be patched out. I don't have Fallout 3 installed, but I do still have GTA IV installed. I use a GFWL disabler on it. Fallout 3 is the GOTY edition on disk, and I do have GTA IV on disk, but what I have installed is a digital version from Amazon because my disk is damaged. I guess I still have to have GFWL installed, and if/when I reinstall these it will still install GFWL.  

Steam Profile

2162 Comments. 109 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo