Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2225 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
8. Re: Morning Metaverse May 23, 2014, 13:20 jimnms

nin wrote on May 22, 2014, 09:05:
eBay buries its own advisory to change passwords following database hack.

Yeah, when I went to change my password yesterday, I didn't see any mention on the front page. Only when I went to the support page, did I see the #1 question was "How do I change my password?".

They went out of their way to make it a pain in the ass to change too. Right on the change password page are tips on how to make a stronger password. It recommends longer passwords with upper and lower case letters, numbers and characters, but then they disabled pasting on the new password entry, which makes using a password generator/manager useless, unless you want to type in 32 random characters twice.

I use Password Safe to generate and store long, random passwords for each site. It copies them to the clipboard for you to paste into the forms. I finally had to use its auto type feature, which I never use because it can still be intercepted by a key logger. The default behavior is to type the username, tab, password, enter. So I had to set a custom auto type for the eBay entry just to type the password, tab and password again, just so I could change the damn password.

Then to top it off, they don't tell you that certain characters aren't allowed on change password page that tells you to use special characters. When you try to use one, you get an error telling you that blank spaces aren't allowed. I spent several minutes thinking it was something I had done wrong with Password Safe's auto type, but then finally found out which characters are allowed on some support page.

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Wasteland 2 This Summer
13. Re: Wasteland 2 This Summer May 21, 2014, 22:38 jimnms

HorrorScope wrote on May 20, 2014, 20:32:
Man the latest DOS patch, this thing is playing super sweet. Wasteland and the other Baulder Gate wannabee's on the horizon have quite a bar to reach and this has coop and mod'ing ta boot.

I played quite a bit of it in SP when I got my alpha code and it has shaped up quite nicely, but IMO it still has quite a way to go though. I fired it up yesterday to check out how it was coming along. One of the biggest features they like to brag about, the dual dialog between the characters, is either buggy or poorly written.

I first noticed it when playing it with a friend earlier in the alpha. He was playing the dude and I was the chick. He stole something on accident and got caught. Then the little "!" icons pop up over our heads to indicate there is a dialog waiting, so we talk and his character is telling me to stop stealing stuff.

When I played it yesterday I recreated my experience in MP. I had the guy go steal something and get caught. Then when initiating the dual dialog, the guy character is telling the chick to stop stealing stuff. Other dual dialogs were buggy too. Another example, when you reach the two drunk guards just before reaching the city, I had the guy character chose to agree to go with them, then had the girl character chose to want to fight. She won the argument, then after the fight is over and I start the dual dialog between them, she's blaming the guy for starting the fight. It seems like they either don't recognize which character did what or they've only been written one way.

MeanJim on Steam

5. Re: Morning Metaverse May 20, 2014, 04:24 jimnms

YouTube already has its own streaming. If you can't beat 'em, buy 'em out. Isn't that how the old saying goes? Will twitch.tv require Google+ now?  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse May 20, 2014, 03:51 jimnms

HorrorScope wrote on May 19, 2014, 20:35:
A bribe?

I'd say bordering on extortion.

MeanJim on Steam

6. Re: Morning Metaverse May 16, 2014, 15:17 jimnms

jdreyer wrote on May 16, 2014, 13:09:
Save The Internet.

Glad someone in this country still has the time and cojones to protest. We've become such a docile nation of sheeple.

Wait, you mean I have to stop using the internet and go outside if I want to save the internet. Sigh, ok... Oh a new cat video...

MeanJim on Steam

11. Re: Morning Metaverse May 14, 2014, 13:55 jimnms

And thanks to an archaic US law, any message left on Gmail for more than six months can be requested by police without a warrant, as it is considered "abandoned."
What kind of fucked up shit is this? Does this apply to people who save their snail mail letters in shoe boxes too?

MeanJim on Steam

13. Re: Evening Metaverse May 11, 2014, 20:05 jimnms

Cutter wrote on May 10, 2014, 00:13:
Lol The Ferengi Plan, love it!

If we could only get more internet sites to throttle access to all government networks maybe then they would get the message, fire this asshat lobbyist and put a real human in charge of the FCC.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > On Sale
5. State of Decay? May 11, 2014, 19:55 jimnms

I don't see it on their main page, but the Humble Store has State of Decay for $5. It's on my Steam wishlist, which is exported to isthereanydeal.com, which emails you on price changes, which is how I heard about it. Anyway, I don't remember putting it on my wishlist, but I must have heard a recommendation or read something good about it. I just bought a few games from GMG's sale a few days ago adding to my ever growing back log of games to play, so I'm being more picky about buying things. Is it any good? Is it worth $5?  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 7, 2014, 20:24 jimnms

I haven't gotten that one, but I've had three phone calls from Nigerian scammers. The first two times it was the same guy and he used the same name both times. The first call was to tell me I'd won some sweepstakes from Walmart. That day I was at home and not doing anything so I played along. He wanted me to go buy some kind card to pay the taxes before they could send me the money and call him back after I got the card and give him the information on the card. While on the phone I was researching him and the number he called from. I found a page on the FTC website about these scams and it said to report them, so I did after I got off the phone with him.

A few days later, using the same name, he called and said he was from UPS. This time I was in a hurry and not in the mood to play. I called him out, reminded him that he claimed to be calling from Walmart last time and I already reported his stupid ass to the FTC.

A few weeks later I got a call from the same number, but this was a different guy giving me the same sweepstakes pitch from the first call. Again I wasn't in the mood to play, so I told him to get his buddy that called me the other times and go fuck themselves. I haven't heard from them since then.

If anyone wants to have some fun with them, call 876-403-8511 and ask for John White.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Towns Dev Leaving; Towns 2 Possible
51. Re: Towns Dev Leaving; Towns 2 Possible May 7, 2014, 19:30 jimnms

Towns was never on Steam Early Access. I don't even think Steam had the Early Access program back when Towns was released. I remember the shit storm it caused when it was greenlit and they began selling it while it was still in beta.

If Early Access was around back then, they didn't use it. I got the game in a bundle long before it was on Steam. It was distributed on Desura, and I played a few hours of it then. The game had potential, but it was buggy. When it was greenlit on Steam I was sent a Steam key, and when I activated the key it definitely did not have the Early Access banner on its store page.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Free Anomaly: Warzone Earth
3. Re: Free Anomaly: Warzone Earth May 6, 2014, 23:54 jimnms

Omni wrote on May 6, 2014, 10:46:
Sadly you don't get a code just a direct download.

I find it sad people are complaining about a free, DRM free game.

MeanJim on Steam

5. Re: Evening Metaverse May 6, 2014, 23:50 jimnms

jomisab wrote on May 6, 2014, 21:26:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 6, 2014, 19:39:
Duh. If you think ISP's aren't throttling then sandvine wouldn't be still making a mint selling their boxes.

Been pretty fortunate with Cablevision I think. 101 Mbit for $55/month and always get better performance than even that. No issues with Netflix etc....but I know they are one of the few ISPs to install Netflix's server hardware in their datacenters.

Just pray to God that Cablevision never gets bought out by some evil POS company like Comcast or Time Warner.

I can choose a local cable co. or AT&T Uverse. I've been fairly happy with my local cable co. recently, and I guess I have AT&T to thank for that. The price has been $50 a month since they first started offering service, which back then was 512kb/s down 128kb/s up. They did upgrade slowly over time, but before AT&T came along to give them some competition their standard service was 4mb/s down 128kb/s up. Once AT&T started advertising they boosted the standard service to 10mb/s down 512kb/s up. Each time AT&T upgrades, so does the cable. Currently I'm getting 20mb/s down and 2mb/s up. They do offer a 50mb/s plan for twice the price.

In the fine print on their website (last time I checked) there was a data cap of 250GB per month, but they apparently don't enforce it as I regularly hit close to 300GB or more without extra fees.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Space Engineers Sells 500K
6. Re: Space Engineers Sells 500K May 6, 2014, 23:18 jimnms

This has been on my wish list for a while, but I'm going to have to wait because I'm too busy with other games, like Kerbal Space Program. I just passed 300 hours in KSP yesterday. I like to design and building things, and don't know if my brain can take having another space stuff building game. When I'm not playing it, I'm thinking of stuff to build in KSP.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Wolfenstein: The New Order Specs
28. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Specs May 2, 2014, 15:03 jimnms

FloorPie wrote on May 2, 2014, 13:24:
deqer wrote on May 2, 2014, 09:49:
4GB of ram? wtf? Windows 7 can't even run properly with only 4GB of ram. It becomes sluggish quite quickly after you install everything like updates, drivers, software, and more.

I think you mean 2GB. That or what the heck are you running in the background all the time?

You're probably thinking of Vista. I ran Win7 on an 8 year old system that only had 2GB of RAM, and it ran just fine.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin in June
3. Re: Divinity: Original Sin in June Apr 25, 2014, 23:49 jimnms

I'm really looking forward to this one, maybe more than the other RPG's I backed on KS (PoE, WL2, TToN), and I never played the original Divinity games either. I backed it on the last day at the $25 level, but wish I'd gone for a collectors box now.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Obsidian: New Kickstarter Hopefully This Year
4. Re: Obsidian: New Kickstarter Hopefully This Year Apr 25, 2014, 23:38 jimnms

Arcanum 2?  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Combine Harvester Demolition Derby Apr 24, 2014, 14:17 jimnms

Oh, that kind of combine. I thought it was going to be some kind of HL2 mod or something.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
15. Re: Evening Safety Dance Apr 23, 2014, 11:18 jimnms

Prez wrote on Apr 23, 2014, 10:03:
I linked my FB account with the Digital Shadow site and the "infiltrating target" percentage remained at 0% forever. I must be off the grid! Yay me! \o/

You have to disable any script blockers or it does that.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
10. Re: Evening Safety Dance Apr 23, 2014, 08:05 jimnms

I have a Facebook page, but I don't use it. I wanted me to disable a privacy feature to allow the app to read my public profile, and just for shits and giggles I did. Every section of the results page just said insufficient data.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Out of the Blue
25. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 22, 2014, 20:55 jimnms

Happy Earth Day! Here's hoping you got the Earth something nice to mark the occasion...
I drove a diesel 100 miles today and got 46MPG for the trip.

nin wrote on Apr 22, 2014, 08:55:
I'm drinking a bottled water right now, does that count?

I only drink bottled water, but I have a filter on my tap and fill them myself. The tap water here isn't too bad, it only has a slight public swimming pool taste to it, but the filter gets rid of that. The best tap water I ever had was the town I went to college in. It was a small farming town of about 15k people with 1/3 of that being students. It's been my experience that the smaller the city/town, the better the water.

MeanJim on Steam

2225 Comments. 112 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo