Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2435 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Released
63. Re: Pillars of Eternity Released Mar 26, 2015, 23:28 jimnms

NewMaxx wrote on Mar 26, 2015, 21:15:
Need to stick to my guns on my policy of not trying indie games until they're patched 6-12 months or more. I have no doubt it's a fantastic experience but I'd rather it be smoothed out by lots of play, first. Hell, I waited on D:OS and Wasteland 2 and still tons of bugs, I still haven't touched Grimrock 2 since I knew they'd have a ton of shit to fix, etc. Not complaining mind you, just saying, waited this long...best wait longer for the perfect experience.

I'm probably going to wait a few months or until my physical stuff arrives, like I did for WL2, before I play it. I also need to finish WL2, and I haven't even started D:OS yet. It took several months before I got my WL2 physicals, and by then it had been patched several times. I was loving WL2 until I got to Hollywood. I think I managed to get somewhere I wasn't supposed to get to yet and bypassed a huge chunk of story because stuff wasn't making sense, i.e. people acting like I had done/knew about things I haven't done yet. Once I realized something wasn't right, I'll need to load an earlier save and replay a bit to "fix" it, it kind of put me off and I haven't touched it in over a month.

Until then, I can't decide if I want to redeem my game on GOG or Steam. I backed WL2 and D:OS for collectors boxes, which came with a Steam key in the physical box and a digital key from KS. I redeemed the KS key on GOG since the physical box had a Steam key, so I have them on both GOG and Steam.

I backed PoE for a regular box, and they're doing it different than the others. The physical disk is DRM free, so I'm leaning toward redeeming my KS key on Steam. Are they going to supply patches for the DRM free disk versions though?

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
14. Re: Morning Screenshots Mar 25, 2015, 20:56 jimnms

I broke down and pre-ordered it a few days ago. GMG had a 27% off code for it, so I bit. I figure I can always cancel it before release if previews look bad.

My only question is what kind of performance will you get at their recommended specs. I have a GTX 660OC and I'm still using a first gen i5 750, currently still at stock clock. Most games don't use more than 2 cores, and if I recall it runs at 3.4GHz in 2-tread mode and 2.66 in 4-thread mode. When I was breaking it in, it would do 3.8GHz easily, but at 4GHz it was hitting the heat limit, though it would pass an 8-hour stress test. It didn't get any errors until I went above 4GHz where it would get too hot and produce errors after an hour of so during the stress test. I doubt any game would push the system like the stress tests do. I could just overclock it and maybe a GPU upgrade.

At the time I built it, it could handle everything I had at the stock clock, so I left it alone. The only game I can't run at max settings is Battlefield 4, and I haven't really been playing that much lately. I run it at at mostly high with some settings turned down to medium. It seems like the current generation CPU and chipset hardware out now has been out quite a while and it it's about time for new stuff to be out soon.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Fighting Cities: Skylines Piracy with Customer Support
11. Re: Fighting Cities: Skylines Piracy with Customer Support Mar 14, 2015, 18:32 jimnms

Jerykk wrote on Mar 14, 2015, 16:44:
Cutter wrote on Mar 14, 2015, 15:14:
Steam is DRM. No, what they should be doing is offering a stand alone - or via GOG - Steam/DRM free edition instead. In fact everyone needs to start doing that. I'm pretty tired of Steam and their shitty policies and lack of CS.

Steam is DRM but its benefits far outweigh its downsides. Cloud saves, automatic updates, achievements, trading cards, one-click installs, leaderboards, matchmaking... buying and playing a game on Steam is usually more convenient and productive than playing a pirated copy.

Steam's DRM is optional. Lots of games sold on Steam don't use the DRM component and can be run without Steam.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Valve on Improving Steam Customer Service
20. Re: Valve on Improving Steam Customer Service Mar 14, 2015, 18:22 jimnms

jdreyer wrote on Mar 14, 2015, 17:04:
I think it has more to do with Steam's monopoly position. Unlike the ISP market there's lots of competition.

Lots of ISP competition? Since when? Maybe you don't live in the US where the ISPs divide up cities and agree not to compete.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > On Sale
22. Re: On Sale Mar 14, 2015, 14:27 jimnms

Maajussi wrote on Mar 14, 2015, 08:25:
Have there been any coupon code for GMG what gives some discount in GTA5 preorder?

There have been a couple of 23% off coupons in the past. They sent me one that is 25% off a couple of days ago, but it says it's a one-time use personal code that expires Monday.

I'm also curious as to the RGSC deal. GTA IV had it, but it was only required for MP. I also want to know if they will be doing any Steam specific features for the Steam version.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Three Steam Free Weekends
5. Re: Three Steam Free Weekends Mar 12, 2015, 22:54 jimnms

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 20:22:
Nighthawk wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 19:41:
Payday 2 is awesome, I picked it up on steam and haven't regretted it.
Most of the DLC is decent, some are IMO overpriced, but that's each to ones own.
TL;DR - Fun game, worth the price
Is it ok to play with bots or do you absolutely need human players to make this fun?

You can play with bots, but it's definitely better with humans. Don't even bother attempting the stealth missions with bots.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Mar 12, 2015, 15:50 jimnms

nin wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 08:02:
$1,750,000 - Alan will read every funders name in an episode.

holy shit...

If it hits that, I predict a flood of $1 pledges from Mike Hunt and his friends.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
16. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 11, 2015, 20:04 jimnms

Speaking of slow internet, local cable co. has gone to shit recently. I almost wish I had one of "the big three" ISPs here. When they were new and the only option other than DSL, which I couldn't get, their service was horrible. It would go down all the time, but at least when it was up I got what was advertised.

After AT&T started offering U-verse, my ISP got their shit in gear and upgraded everyone to decent speed. Each time AT&T offered something faster, the cable co. would go faster.

I pay $50 for the standard tier internet, which for the last few years has been 20/2 although their website still lists 16/2. Starting around the middle to end of December, just in time for Steam sales, I started noticing slight slowdowns in the evening during peak hours. It has gotten worse over the past few months. It now has gotten to the point where during the hours of 7pm to 11pm it gets as slow 1Mbit.

I have been running speed tests during various times of the day and documenting it. I finally emailed the log to my ISP's customer service yesterday which clearly shows the speeds dropping only at certain times. They replied asking me to call their phone support to assist in solving "my problem" or to schedule a technician to come out and see what is wrong.

Obviously they aren't going to find anything wrong if they come out because the technician will be coming during off-peak hours when there is no problem.

I don't want to switch to AT&T for a few reasons. The main reason is I hate AT&T, then the fastest service they offer in my area is 12/2 for more than I'm paying for 20/2 and finally they have a BS 250GB data cap. My ISP at one point put in a 250GB data cap clause in their TOS. They never enforced it as I have gone over 250GB several times, and now it's gone completely.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
5. Re: Evening Safety Dance Mar 7, 2015, 00:00 jimnms

I remember when uTorrent was just a small (200-300KB?) stand alone .exe, no installer necessary. I'm using the latest version and I don't have any ads or bloat. I've seen screen shots, but mine is just a clean interface. Maybe because I've been upgrading it through the app for so long and haven't run the installer which puts all this new crap in.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steam Machines in November
30. Re: Steam Machines in November Mar 6, 2015, 11:53 jimnms

InBlack wrote on Mar 6, 2015, 03:37:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 6, 2015, 02:17:
jimnms wrote on Mar 5, 2015, 21:36:
They'll put in some DRM that checks to check the UEFI make sure it's a licensed Steam Machine.

That's pretty cynical.

Not to mention wrong. Case in point: Steam OS can be installed on any machine.

When was the last time you two had your sarcasm detectors checked? Inquisitive

MeanJim on Steam

14. Re: Steam Machines in November Mar 5, 2015, 21:36 jimnms

harlock wrote on Mar 5, 2015, 20:48:
who fucking gives a shit? seriously.. maybe a big gaggle of middle age nerds - but in total, its only a handful of gamers that still care about this

hell most of them dont even know wtf half life is in the first place

you cant go home - take off the rose glasses and move on guys

My 12 year old niece knows what Half-Life is, and I didn't tell her about it. She came over a couple of weeks ago and asked me if I had Half-Life because she wanted to play it. I have my old gaming system set up for her to play games on with her own Steam account and family sharing. I asked her how she knew about Half-Life and she said some kids at school were talking about it.

DangerDog wrote on Mar 5, 2015, 21:05:
Install SteamOS
Play HL3
Reformat system

They'll put in some DRM that checks to check the UEFI make sure it's a licensed Steam Machine.

MeanJim on Steam

8. Re: Steam Machines in November Mar 5, 2015, 20:14 jimnms

Half-Life 3 will be an exclusive title for Steam Machines.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Fallout 4 Announcement at E3?
40. Re: Fallout 4 Announcement at E3? Mar 2, 2015, 21:36 jimnms

Darks wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 15:22:
Kris Redbeard wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 10:46:
As long as it is more like Fallout New Vegas, less like Fallout 3, I'd be happy enough.
Happier still if they stopped using highly-modified GameByro and shifted to <insert modern engine here>.

Oh, hell no! I want city action, underground complexes, Subways and Military bases. Along with an entire underground system to travel through. that was the one very appealing thing for m about Fallout 3. I just love being underground like that and having a topside to run around too. Fallout 4 was very lacking in this area. I totally lost interest after about 50 hours in.

I believe Kris Redbeard is talking more about the writing and quests. FNV's world wasn't as good as FO3, but the rest of FNV was so much better that it made it the better game. FO3's main quest, hell most of the side quests too, were linear with no choice. Find dad, dad dies, work with the BOS and finish dad's work. At no point are you ever given the option to say "fuck dad and fuck the BOS, these Enclave guys rock I'm going to work for them." Compare that to how many options you had for FNV's main quest.

Bethesda does a good job at creating worlds, but they are shit when it comes to filling that world with good branching quests. FFS Skyrim is worse than FO3. I've yet to finish it, though I go back to it from time to time, but the bland story and quests don't hold me long. I have more fun just exploring the world. The majority of the side quests are all linear, go somewhere, do something, come back to collect reward. The main quest, at least as far as I've gotten, is go somewhere, meet someone, do what they say. No options, just a linear story set in an open world.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
11. Re: Saturday Metaverse Mar 1, 2015, 21:26 jimnms

Ant wrote on Mar 1, 2015, 14:10:
The problem is that no one has figured out how to break DRM since it ever came out. Also, what happens when you get a new computer? No way to get the DRM from Unbox. I got two/2 duplicate Unbox announcement e-mails.

Maybe they sent you my announcement. I find it hard to believe the Unbox DRM hasn't been broken since every other DRM out there has been broken.

MeanJim on Steam

9. Re: Saturday Metaverse Mar 1, 2015, 13:52 jimnms

Creston wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 16:59:
I think you need to update in order to get the version that basically allows you to bypass the DRM in it. That's what the article seems to imply anyway:

Update the Amazon Unbox application to the latest version. This version includes a one-time license conversion that will make your videos available within Windows Media Player. Open the Unbox application and there will be an "Upgrade" notification you can use to do this. You can also click the "Settings" option in the Unbox menu and select "Check for Amazon Unbox Upgrades."

I agree, however, that it's still horseshit.

The only thing the update does different is leave the license installed after you uninstall Unbox. Unbox has always downloaded the videos and installed the license for WMP or any other media player that supports the DRM, but if you uninstalled Unbox the license was removed leaving you with useless video files.

Hopefully someone will figure out how to strip the DRM, if they haven't already. I've tried searching for a way, but the top results in Google are links to shady shareware, all with different names but identical in looks, that claims to do it, but I'm not installing that.

But my initial complaint was, as an Unbox user, I didn't get notified. If I had not seen the story linked here, I wouldn't have known.

MeanJim on Steam

4. Re: Saturday Metaverse Feb 28, 2015, 16:18 jimnms

Shok wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 13:53:
That's the price for buying DRM baked in I guess. The same thing could happen if Valve decided to shut down STEAM, however unlikely that would be.

That seems like a tricky situation. You've bought a license to the content, not the content itself. If they shut down the service that allows you to view the content you legally own a license to, where does that leave you?

Creston wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 15:27:
Did you upgrade unbox to the latest version? If so, talk to a CSR.

I only own one thing on Amazon worth $10, so it's not a huge deal to me, but it's still shitty because I actually bought it to view offline before I realized I had to use that crappy unbox bullshit.

No, I haven't used Unbox in a while. I bought a couple of seasons of a TV show when my cable co. dropped the channel that carried it, but last season they got it back so I haven't needed it. I only used it to download the videos. I played them in Windows Media Center on my TV. My connection wasn't good enough to stream them in HD at the time, so I downloaded and watched them when they were done. The downloaded videos are full HD with 5.1 surround but the same show streamed was 720p and 2-channel audio, so this is a big downgrade unless they've upgraded the streaming versions.

I kept the files on my HD even though I can stream them any time from Amazon (or even Netflix now). Fuck it, next time I'll just torrent shit.

MeanJim on Steam

1. Re: Saturday Metaverse Feb 28, 2015, 12:34 jimnms

That article was from Feb. 25th. I've use Unbox to download purchases and didn't get an email. This is a shitty move Amazon, unless this new version strips the DRM out, you'll be unable to play your purchased videos if you ever re-install Windows or copy them to a new PC.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Op Ed
80. Re: Op Ed Feb 28, 2015, 10:19 jimnms

jdreyer wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 22:21:
- Animate female characters to move the way normal women, soldiers or athletes would move.

The reason most games have the same animations for women and men comes down to the cost and time it takes to create separate animations. But how exactly do women move any different to men? No two people move the same no matter what gender.

- Have female characters of various body types
- Include more female characters of color.

What about various male body types and male characters of color? Why just females? Most games that I've played recently have two body types, male and female. Once again, this is a time, cost and performance issue of having several different body models. Now that consoles aren't as antique hardware wise, these things can be possible.

- Include female enemies, but don't sexualize those enemies

Who gets to decide what is considered sexualized? Different people find different things sexual. Some guys women in uniform sexy, so should we not have female cops or soldiers as enemies in games because they can be sexualized?

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > etc., etc.
9. Re: etc., etc. Feb 28, 2015, 00:46 jimnms

I'd kill for these on GOG, and a NOLF3. My original NOLF disks are still on my dusty game shelf that hasn't been touched since, well, Steam, but I can't find my NOLF2 disks.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Out of the Blue
58. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2015, 18:29 jimnms

I saw the dress pic last night on another forum, and I see blue and black. Loading it up in an image editor and analyzing the colors, I can understand how some people would see gold, but can't understand how people are seeing white. The "lighter" dark areas are a dark gold, but the majority of the dark areas are actually brownish orange. There isn't a single pixel of white on the dress though.  

MeanJim on Steam

2435 Comments. 122 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo