Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2433 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 7, 2015, 20:52 jimnms

MajorD wrote on Apr 7, 2015, 19:31:
This did come up for me as an 'Optional' update, which I have forgone FTB.

It showed up as a recommended update for me. I have Windows update set to only notify me of updates. I remember getting the updates that Saturday. First it was just one update that required a restart. Then after restarting, two more showed up, but didn't require a restart.

After uninstalling it, a little while later I got a notice of an important update. The description is a lie too. It says "Install this update to resolve issues in Windows."

It's odd that the update was installed Saturday, but this morning was the first time the GWXConfigManager.exe set off the firewall.

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 7, 2015, 19:11 jimnms

Microsoft has released an optional update that “enables additional capabilities for Windows Update notifications when new updates are available to the user”.
Optional my ass. I don't install optional updates and this morning I was greeted with a firewall prompt when GWXConfigManager.exe tried to connect to something. A search for the file lead to a lot of forum posts about people wanting to know what it was, and I finally found one that had the answer as to what it was. I didn't have time to read the details, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't infected with something.

I've been home about an hour and it's fired up two more times, each time my firewall prompting me to allow or block it, while I was trying to find out if I could uninstall it and how.

Microsoft, I will probably take advantage of the free Win10 upgrade, but don't get pushy with this shit.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
16. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 7, 2015, 11:47 jimnms

LittleMe wrote on Apr 6, 2015, 23:52:
Try complaining to the city/county government or get a petition going. Get on your knees and beg the government because they're the ones upholding the duopoly. In some seriousness, they probably do write in some sort of service requirements that Comcast is supposed to deliver. Not like they enforce that regulation as you have found out.

"But, but, regulations solve everything!"

I sometimes wish I could get Comcast or one of the big corrupts ISPs because at least they deliver what you pay for. This is some no name re-branded shit my local cable co. sells. My only other option is AT&T Uverse. I get shit in the mail all the time trying to get me to switch. The ads say they have plans up to 45Mbps, but I checked and the fastest they can deliver to my house is 12Mbps. I hate AT&T and would rather not have to switch though.

MeanJim on Steam

14. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 6, 2015, 21:23 jimnms

I decided to look up the terms on my ISP's website and this is what they have to say:
Actual speed and latency may vary depending upon these and other factors. We generally expect
that absent the factors described above, actual performance of our services will be within 80% of
the maximum advertised speed. The FCC has reported that customers of coaxial cable-based
broadband Internet services experience an average latency of 28 milliseconds, and receive mean
download speeds that are within 93% of maximum advertised speeds during non-peak hours and
mean download speeds of 85.7% of maximum advertised speeds during peak hours of 7 pm to 11
pm.

I'm lucky to get 1% of what I'm paying for during these peak hours.

MeanJim on Steam

13. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 6, 2015, 21:19 jimnms

Agent.X7 wrote on Apr 6, 2015, 17:03:
That's the issue is the large window of time they have to schedule techs because they have too few techs and way WAY to many customers to service. I had an issue years ago with my internet cutting out completely after dark. Turns out it was a BNC barrel full of water. During the day, when 12 technicians examined my cables, it was liquid and passing along the connection. At night it froze and stopped being conductive enough to get a connection. The 13th technician was finally able to figure out the issue, but only because he was supposed to be by at 3PM and didn't make it until 8PM.

I doubt it's anything like that. On weekends it's all over the place, but still mainly after 6pm till midnight. Also, back in Feb we had some snow, which rarely happens here, so the whole town shut down. With schools out and most everyone not going to work, network performance was like a weekend, except in the middle of the week.

A tech came out in late September when a tree limb fell on the cable line coming the house. It didn't appear to be causing any issues, but the line was hanging low. He put the line back up, came in and hooked up some meter to the cable and said everything looked good.

I didn't start noticing it until the end of December either, before then it was fine. I don't know if it's a coincidence, but this is also around the same time is when they started switching off the analog channels and replacing them with digital. Can the digital cable TV interfere with the cable internet?

Cutter wrote on Apr 6, 2015, 17:44:
You could but it likely wouldn't go anywhere. It's why ISPs advertise speeds as "up to X Mbps". Doesn't mean you're going to get it.

If they say up to 20Mbps, you should at least be able to get close to 20Mbps at most times during the day, not at 3am when no one is on. Car manufacturers can't claim a car gets up to 100MPG*** and put in small print that it's only when driving down hill in neutral, they'd never get away with that.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Transmissions - Element 120 HL2 Mod
6. Re: Transmissions - Element 120 HL2 Mod Apr 6, 2015, 20:58 jimnms

Task wrote on Apr 6, 2015, 17:49:
Gotta start from the beginning. Half-Life 1, then Opposing Force, then HL2.

What about Blue Shift?

MeanJim on Steam

9. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 6, 2015, 16:38 jimnms

Does anyone know if you can file a complaint with the FTC (or FCC) if your ISP isn't delivering the speeds you're paying for? I pay for 20Mbit, but after around 5:30pm until after midnight it's so overloaded I'm lucky to get up to 2Mbit. I've complained to the ISP, but they insist nothing is wrong. They keep wanting to send a "technician" out every time I contact them, but one has already come out and found no problem. No shit you're not going to see the problem when you come out at 3pm when it's not overloaded.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Transmissions - Element 120 HL2 Mod
4. Re: Transmissions - Element 120 HL2 Mod Apr 6, 2015, 16:22 jimnms

xXBatmanXx wrote on Apr 6, 2015, 09:58:
I just played through HL2 this past week, there was a ton of stuff I didn't remember. I played through Half Life 2 Update. I didn't notice much of the visual stuff, but I watched a video of a really cool HL2 mod that puts in real weapons and sounds. I'll find the link and post it. Going to play through HL2 again, I'll throw that one on.

I did the same. When I finished HL2: Update I played Episode 1 and 2 again too. I hate that it just ended the way it did. Come on Valve, learn to count to three goddammit. We should start a campaign to send cards cut out in the shape of threes to Valve until we get a HL3 and Portal 3.

I played HL2 a while back with a realism mod called SMOD: Tactical. It hasn't been updated since I last played it, so it probably doesn't work anymore after the Steampipe update to the HL2 games. Some of the battles were damn hard with that mod. It added the floating weapon like you see in Insurgency, and there was no crosshair so you had to use iron sights.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Project Reality Devs Announce Squad
10. Re: Project Reality Devs Announce Squad Apr 6, 2015, 16:08 jimnms

I thought it looked like a mod for ArmA or ArmA2 while watching. Didn't these guys also make a Project Reality mod for ArmA or ArmA2?

You can already do this in ArmA 1/2/3 if you play with the right people. I used to play with a serious group back in the ArmA/ArmA2 days. We played on Sunday and Monday. On Sundays there were a lot more people so we did team vs. team, and Monday we did missions against the AI.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steam Top 10
30. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 6, 2015, 02:49 jimnms

siapnar wrote on Apr 5, 2015, 11:30:
Any tips on where to get GTA cheapest?

Looks like GMG has it for $10 less than Steam, which is kind of surprising

http://www.dealzon.com/deals/grand-theft-auto-v

I too wanted it on Steam, but I don't think it's going to use any Steamworks features and it's still tied to RGSC anyway. I figured I might as well skip the extra DRM. I also read that patches for GTA V will be delivered by the Rockstar launcher, even for Steam versions. The article I read didn't have a source for that, so it may or may not be true.

MeanJim on Steam

3. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 5, 2015, 11:53 jimnms

siapnar wrote on Apr 5, 2015, 11:30:
Any tips on where to get GTA cheapest?

Looks like GMG has it for $10 less than Steam, which is kind of surprising

I got it for 27% off from GMG last week. They had a few 23% off codes for it a while ago. If you sign up for their deal emails, they send personal one-time use codes. I got a 25% off code for it, but by the time I finally decided to pre-order it, I realized I had converted the expiration date on the code wrong and missed it by 2 minutes. When they sent me a 27% off code, I went ahead and grabbed it.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Into the Black
9. Re: Into the Black Apr 4, 2015, 01:56 jimnms

xXBatmanXx wrote on Apr 3, 2015, 19:53:
Rhianna shows up at my house, at 0100, with money, singing, in my bed......my pants are coming off....

You sleep in your pants?

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 2, 2015, 23:51 jimnms

Saboth wrote on Apr 2, 2015, 20:56:
I've currently got 105 down with Comcast, and right now (8:51 pm), I'm getting 29 Mbps. Some nights, that's as low as 5-10 Mbps. All depends on neighborhood traffic. I get 105-110+ all day long, but during the hours I'm actually on the internet, I'm getting 1/10-1/3 of the speed I'm paying for. So that "2 GB" might end up being more like 50-100 in the real world.

I only get 20Mbit, but like you I get a fraction of that during peak hours. Some days I'm lucky to even get 1-2Mbit after 7pm. I began to notice the slowdown toward the end of December, before that it was fine. I used to be able to watch HD Netflix, HD Amazon, 1080p YouTube and Twitch streams at any hour. Now I can only get any streaming in HD after hours, and for some reason even during off-peak when I am getting the full speed I still can't watch Twitch streams. I don't watch much Twitch anyway, so I can live. I mainly watched the KSP developer streams and a few other official Twitch channels.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V 60FPS PC Trailer
34. Re: Grand Theft Auto V 60FPS PC Trailer Apr 2, 2015, 15:40 jimnms

MajorD wrote on Apr 2, 2015, 11:29:
SpectralMeat wrote on Apr 2, 2015, 11:08:
I'd love to know what sort of a hardware you'd need to get the kind of details shown in the trailer running at 1080p-60fps.
I doubt my GTX760 will cut it.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing; however, unless they've bumped them up recently, I recall the 'recommended' system requirements being pretty reasonable:

•CPU Core i5-2500T 2.3GHz or Phenom II X4 975
•GPU: GeForce GTX 480 or Radeon HD 6970
•RAM: 6GB
•HDD Space: 20GB

/shrug

Oh, and if the game actually looks that good on my PC (i7 2600K & 780ti), I'll be a happy gamer.

Where did you get those specs? The recommended specs listed on the GTA V website and Steam are:

Processor: Intel Core i5 3470 @ 3.2GHz (4 CPUs) / AMD X8 FX-8350 @ 4GHz (8 CPUs)
Memory: 8GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GTX 660 2GB / AMD HD 7870 2GB
Sound Card: 100% DirectX 10 compatible
HDD Space: 65GB

I really wish they would have some sort of standard for the minimum and recommended specs, say 720p30fps for min and 1080p60fps for recommended.

I have a GTX 660OC, but I'm still using a first gen i5 750. I started picking parts for a new PC build back in November, but never committed to it. I'm wondering if I should wait and see how my system handles before upgrading, or just go for it. I'm only concerned because the current generation CPU and chipsets have been out a while, and it seems about time for something new to be coming out soon. I'd be kind of pissed to build a new system with current gen parts, then next month they come out with new shit.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > GOG.com Reclaim Your Game Program
10. Re: GOG.com Reclaim Your Game Program Apr 2, 2015, 14:47 jimnms

This was the first thing I saw in my email this morning. I still have my original STALKER box on my shelf so I grabbed it and plugged in the CD key. I have all three STALKER games on Steam also. Steam gives CD keys for CS and CoP which worked for me, but I've seen comments from others that say they don't work. It might just have to do with how long ago they were purchased.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 31, 2015, 22:17 jimnms

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if the schools where this happened teach abstinence only sex "education?"  

MeanJim on Steam

23. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 29, 2015, 19:26 jimnms

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 29, 2015, 17:14:
Because you need a pad to start a heist. And they aren't cheap. This way you can start with one and be the leader if you wish - otherwise, have fun with the grind.

I was reading about the heists yesterday. Besides a pad, I thought it said you have to be at a certain level too (12 I think?). I caved and pre-ordered from GMG last week when they sent me a 27% off coupon. I was going to do it the week before with a 25% off coupon, but I goofed when converting GMT to local and the coupon expired 2 minutes before I was checking out. I didn't get anything else for the pre-order, unless you don't get it until the game releases, but I already have the GTA Complete pack on Steam (the one with GTA1 through SA).

I'm in the Blues News crew on Rockstar Social club, I hope to see people getting together on it.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Released
70. Re: Pillars of Eternity Released Mar 27, 2015, 06:16 jimnms

nin wrote on Mar 26, 2015, 23:58:
Didn't realize it until tonight, but the gog copy includes pc, mac, and linux. Pretty nice.

Doesn't Steam also have mac and Linux versions? I see system requirements for the three OSes on the store page. Did you go with GOG?

Who went with GOG and who went with Steam? If it weren't for the physical DRM free disk, I would definitely go with GOG, but until I know what kind of support the DRM free disk based version is going to get I'm going to hold off.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Released
63. Re: Pillars of Eternity Released Mar 26, 2015, 23:28 jimnms

NewMaxx wrote on Mar 26, 2015, 21:15:
Need to stick to my guns on my policy of not trying indie games until they're patched 6-12 months or more. I have no doubt it's a fantastic experience but I'd rather it be smoothed out by lots of play, first. Hell, I waited on D:OS and Wasteland 2 and still tons of bugs, I still haven't touched Grimrock 2 since I knew they'd have a ton of shit to fix, etc. Not complaining mind you, just saying, waited this long...best wait longer for the perfect experience.

I'm probably going to wait a few months or until my physical stuff arrives, like I did for WL2, before I play it. I also need to finish WL2, and I haven't even started D:OS yet. It took several months before I got my WL2 physicals, and by then it had been patched several times. I was loving WL2 until I got to Hollywood. I think I managed to get somewhere I wasn't supposed to get to yet and bypassed a huge chunk of story because stuff wasn't making sense, i.e. people acting like I had done/knew about things I haven't done yet. Once I realized something wasn't right, I'll need to load an earlier save and replay a bit to "fix" it, it kind of put me off and I haven't touched it in over a month.

Until then, I can't decide if I want to redeem my game on GOG or Steam. I backed WL2 and D:OS for collectors boxes, which came with a Steam key in the physical box and a digital key from KS. I redeemed the KS key on GOG since the physical box had a Steam key, so I have them on both GOG and Steam.

I backed PoE for a regular box, and they're doing it different than the others. The physical disk is DRM free, so I'm leaning toward redeeming my KS key on Steam. Are they going to supply patches for the DRM free disk versions though?

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
14. Re: Morning Screenshots Mar 25, 2015, 20:56 jimnms

I broke down and pre-ordered it a few days ago. GMG had a 27% off code for it, so I bit. I figure I can always cancel it before release if previews look bad.

My only question is what kind of performance will you get at their recommended specs. I have a GTX 660OC and I'm still using a first gen i5 750, currently still at stock clock. Most games don't use more than 2 cores, and if I recall it runs at 3.4GHz in 2-tread mode and 2.66 in 4-thread mode. When I was breaking it in, it would do 3.8GHz easily, but at 4GHz it was hitting the heat limit, though it would pass an 8-hour stress test. It didn't get any errors until I went above 4GHz where it would get too hot and produce errors after an hour of so during the stress test. I doubt any game would push the system like the stress tests do. I could just overclock it and maybe a GPU upgrade.

At the time I built it, it could handle everything I had at the stock clock, so I left it alone. The only game I can't run at max settings is Battlefield 4, and I haven't really been playing that much lately. I run it at at mostly high with some settings turned down to medium. It seems like the current generation CPU and chipset hardware out now has been out quite a while and it it's about time for new stuff to be out soon.

MeanJim on Steam

2433 Comments. 122 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo