Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2165 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Apr 1, 2014, 21:11 jimnms

Kerbal Space Program is on sale on Steam to celebrate the 0.23.5 NASA Asteroid Recovery Mission pack.  

Steam Profile
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Sale
15. Re: On Sale Mar 31, 2014, 17:09 jimnms

Creston wrote on Mar 31, 2014, 11:32:
While the linked article is scummy, I'm not all that thrilled about (apparently, if I understand you correctly) having to give my Steam login credentials to a third party website?

You don't give your Steam login credentials to anyone, they use the Steam OpenID deal.

Steam Profile

News Comments > On Sale
9. Re: On Sale Mar 30, 2014, 20:58 jimnms

Cutter wrote on Mar 30, 2014, 20:28:
Saboth wrote on Mar 30, 2014, 19:11:
Cutter wrote on Mar 30, 2014, 15:34:
I agree there's something to be said for that. It's like buying a new car and the dealer telling you you're not allowed to ever sell it. It's not like HB isn't making their money. No one is technically stealing anything here.

Sounds like piracy advocacy to me. The terms explicitly state you can't resell the games. Just like when you buy those large packs of tiny crackers or chips that say "not for resale".

Well, that's only if you agree that sowftware can only be licensed and not owned. I don't. I pay for a copy of something and it's mine as far as I'm concerned. Just like books, CDs, DVDs, cars, furniture, etc. No one seens to have a problem going to a restaurant and paying more for resold food. So it's an entirely a matter of perspective on that front.

However, as I said, it may not be illegal but it's certainly in poor taste.

Software, especially software sold only through digital distribution, can't be compared to physical objects. You can't make a copy of your car and sell the original keeping one for yourself like you can software.

You can't sell your Steam games because they're tied to your account, but what about GOG? Do you think it wold be OK to buy a game from GOG, then sell your copy after you've played it? What if this bought these games from GOG and begin reselling copies of it, would that still be OK?

Steam Profile

News Comments > Women In Video Games Initiative
26. Re: Women In Video Games Initiative Mar 28, 2014, 21:51 jimnms

Task wrote on Mar 28, 2014, 13:17:
that gave me many chuckles, thank you. some people think its stupid, but i sometimes create 'female' characters in RPGs

Why do people think that's stupid? It's called role playing for a reason. I usually play RPGs a second time as a female character. In the better RPGs, some NPCs will react different to female characters, often opening up different ways to complete quests. I don't care much for 3rd person games, but if I do play one and I have a choice (Saint's Row for example), I go for a female character. If I have to stare at a character's ass while playing, I'd much rather stare at a nice one.

Steam Profile

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Mar 27, 2014, 04:25 jimnms

Axis wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 21:10:
Stay away from Spacebase, another fail early access with little development.

I was curious about it a while back so looked up a "lets play" on YouTube. The guy played it for about 10 minutes, had a nice little base going, then began to wander what else there was to do. From watching it, I couldn't tell where the "game" was. It looks like the Sims in Space or something.

Steam Profile

News Comments > On Sale
13. Re: On Sale Mar 19, 2014, 12:00 jimnms

Speaking of bundles, I have an extra gift copy of the Indie Gala Rise of Flight Bundle if anyone wants to trade for the Adrenaline Bundle.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > On Sale
8. Re: On Sale Mar 18, 2014, 21:16 jimnms

Cutter wrote on Mar 18, 2014, 17:53:
If you haven't grabbed Expeditions: Conquistador yet, run, don't walk, to get it. Totally a steal for $5. I don't know how or why this was overlooked by so many people but it's a gem. Ima probably give this another playthrough again very soon. I hope it did well enough to warrant a follow-up.
For the same price you can pick up this bundle and get it along with a few other games.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Genetic Car Thingy Mar 18, 2014, 02:22 jimnms

Sepharo wrote on Mar 18, 2014, 00:37:
#1: 179.68 d:174.24 h:-2.88/5.58m (gen 18)

Mine went farther quicker

edit: Actually I see your top car hit its record pretty early on.

edit2: Damn my new car just put a smack down on that track no matter how ridiculous it got.
http://i.imgur.com/nxmwYhl.png

Put "bluesnews.com" as the seed so we're on the same track. I left it running without a reset and finally two cars beat it.
http://i.imgur.com/1abMapW.png

Steam Profile

18. Genetic Car Thingy Mar 17, 2014, 23:57 jimnms

I've been running it with bluesnews.com seed all day and 155.56 is the best so far. Early on one got 155.11, and after half a day nothing had beat it. There's this valley at ~153.xx that they all get stuck in. I tried resetting the population a few times and tinkering with the settings, but I didn't think anything would beat it. I reset the population a few minutes ago and it didn't take long for one set a new record of 155.56 by climbing out and getting hung at the top (pic).  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
11. Re: Saturday Metaverse Mar 16, 2014, 20:35 jimnms

Agent.X7 wrote on Mar 16, 2014, 13:09:
Not according to Amazon
Dear Jeremy Star,

We are writing to provide you advance notice that the price of your Prime membership will be increasing in 2015. Your 2014 annual renewal will remain at the original price of $79. On June 9, 2015, your membership will renew at $99/year.

Even as fuel and transportation costs have increased, the price of Prime has remained the same for nine years. Since 2005, the number of items eligible for unlimited free Two-Day Shipping has grown from one million to over 20 million. We also added unlimited access to over 40,000 movies and TV episodes with Prime Instant Video and a selection of over 500,000 books to borrow from the Kindle Owners' Lending Library.

For more information about your Prime membership, visit our Prime membership page.

Sincerely,

The Amazon Prime Team

WTF then. The email I got says:
We are writing to provide you advance notice that the price of your Prime membership will be increasing. The annual rate will be $99 when your membership renews on June 4, 2014.

Even on my Amazon manage Prime account page says "On June 04, 2014, you will be charged $99 for another year of Prime."

Your subscription renews after mine and you're getting the lower rate?

Steam Profile

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
6. Re: Saturday Metaverse Mar 16, 2014, 02:53 jimnms

Agent.X7 wrote on Mar 15, 2014, 14:15:
Got an email from Amazon stating that my 2014 membership payment would still be $79 and that the $99 for existing members doesn't start until 2015.

That's only if your membership renews before the price goes up. Unfortunately mine expires in June, so my renewal will be $99. I think I'm going to gift myself a $79 one though.

Steam Profile

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Mar 15, 2014, 14:45 jimnms

I didn't laugh.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
39. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 13, 2014, 18:58 jimnms

I'm torn on whether I'll keep my prime membership. I used the streaming when it was new because one show I was watching, on Netflix it was 4:3 cropped, but on Amazon it was widescreen. The quality was better too, but Netflix's quality has improved. I haven't watched any Amazon streaming in years. I hardly watch Netflix streaming anymore either, but my family does.

I suppose if I added up the cost of 2-day shipping on everything I order from them during the year, it's worth the $99. Before I got Prime I usually ordered enough to get free shipping anyway, and if not I just waited until I had enough things to order to get free shipping. I've mainly kept it for convenience. It's nice to be able to order something and have it in two days. Especially on birthdays and holidays. I don't think I've ever had a prime shipped package arrive late either.

avianflu wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 15:07:
"I've also never had anything ship USPS from them before if 2-day was selected, and I buy from them all the time."

You are lucky. I am in NYC area. Amazon CS was very clear that they will use USPS as needed and with no choice on my part.

I've had prime 2-day items delivered by USPS if the 2nd day is a Saturday. They use the UPS equivalent of FedEX SmartPost, UPS overnight's it to the local post office, then I get it delivered on Saturday from USPS instead of waiting until Monday for a UPS 2nd day delivery.

Steam Profile

News Comments > BAFTA Winners
12. Re: BAFTA Winners Mar 12, 2014, 21:45 jimnms

They have some weird categories. Action and Adventure? Strategy and Simulation? Not all adventure games fall into the action category and very few strategy games would be considered simulations, or are many simulations strategy games.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
9. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 11, 2014, 14:31 jimnms

Wow looks like I got an upgrade and didn't know it. That broadband map showed my ISP offering speeds 50-100Mbs down and 2Mbs up. I know they offer a 50Mbs plan. I'm on the basic plan, and the last time I did a speed test I was getting 20Mbs down 1Mbs up.

Until a couple of years ago, here it was DSL in certain locations or Cable. Cable was definitely faster and more widely available. For the longest time I think I was on 4Mb/256Kb, then AT&T brought U-verse to town and the cable co. upgraded everyone to 10Mbs down but kept the upload at 256Kbs. At that time AT&T was offering up to 12Mbs. Each time AT&T pushed out faster speeds, the cable co. one upped them. The last bump was about 6 months ago, we went from 12Mbs/256Kbs to 20Mbs/512Kbs.

I just did a speed test and now it seems I've gotten an upgrade. I'm still at 20Mbs down, but my upload is now 2Mbs.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Evening Interviews
7. Re: Evening Interviews Mar 11, 2014, 12:46 jimnms

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 22:22:
jimnms wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 22:02:
I watched some footage of the beta last week and it looks like crap, graphically

Must have a bad feed, the games gfx are very nice.

It wasn't a live stream, it was 1080p videos on YouTube. Graphically it's a step back from Skyrim. Something was off with the lighting too, hard to describe though, it was just too evenly lit and bland. The characters don't look like proper Elder Scrolls races either. They all look like modified human models, i.e. the orcs look like humans with fangs, elves look like humans with pointy ears.

This isn't my impression based on one person's video either. They were different videos by different people.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Evening Interviews
3. Re: Evening Interviews Mar 10, 2014, 22:02 jimnms

nin wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 19:27:
The Elder Scrolls Online - Ask Us Anything

Why a MMO?

MMO Money Greedy

I watched some footage of the beta last week and it looks like crap, graphically and game play. Maybe it's an MMO thing, but the video I was watching was a guy and 3 or 4 people doing a quest. There was a part where they had to talk to a guy in a jail, do something for him, then release him from jail. While they were doing the quest, other parties were doing the same quest, and they had to wait in line while other people were talking to the guy before they could talk to him.

Steam Profile

16. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 10, 2014, 19:10 jimnms

nin wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 09:56:
Interesting. I didn't remember Riddick being on steam, much less pulled.

I bought it during Steam's winter sale way back in 2009, but I didn't know it had been pulled. The community forums say it was pulled because Atari went bankrupt and lost the license, but it's still available on GOG.

I thought the original Chronicles of Riddick was better than Assault on Dark Athena. Assault on Dark Athena includes a "remake" of the original game in the updated engine, but I remember there being some problems with it. I still have the disk for the original Chronicles of Riddick if I ever want to play the original again. If you've never played it, I highly recommend picking it up. It has some very good FPS melee combat. Beating people up in that game was so much fun.

Steam Profile

News Comments > THIEF Patch & Tips
9. Re: THIEF Patch & Tips Mar 9, 2014, 18:24 jimnms

Pineapple Ferguson wrote on Mar 9, 2014, 12:56:
The graphics and atmosphere are great, but there are many teeth-grindingly annoying aspects, probably the most irritating being the necessity to mash a button to pry open windows.

I watched a couple of video (p)reviews of it. I mostly ignore the reviewer's opinions and watch the game play. None of them said anything about the windows though. One odd thing I did notice was that you had to pry open the windows even from inside a building. You're inside, why can't you unlatch it and just open it?

I have way too much on my to-play list, so this is definitely a wait for sale game. I still haven't gotten to Dishonored that I bought during this past fall/winter Steam sale.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
8. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 6, 2014, 14:50 jimnms

Topevoli wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 11:51:
Paid for by Hollywood, which ultimately comes out of our pockets in the form of higher licensing fees to Netflix, Redbox, increased costs of bluray discs etc.
Which will drive more people to pirate movies. It's a never ending cycle.

Steam Profile

2165 Comments. 109 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo