Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2366 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel DLC & Patch Warning
6. Re: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel DLC & Patch Warning Jan 27, 2015, 18:21 jimnms

If you haven't applied the update yet, you should still be able to run the game from its .exe. I've done this before to avoid mandatory patches with other games so I could wait for mods to be updated. If the game uses Steamworks, it will detect Steam running and still give you all the Steamworks features, overlay, etc., but bypass the forced update you get when launching from the Steam client.  

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
12. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jan 24, 2015, 23:25 jimnms

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 16:15:
From the whining on blues lately you'd think straight white males were the victims.

How dare anybody complain about rape/death threats, or discuss their viewpoint on a video game!?!

Are you new to the internet? Everyone gets rape/death threats when they discuss their point of view on pretty much anything.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
6. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jan 19, 2015, 05:58 jimnms

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 19, 2015, 04:33:
I don't even use that menu normally so it never occurred to me you could right click on anything there. Ps.: ever since Firefox changed GUI design I absolutely hate that menu ;p

I hated it too at first, but I grew to like it. Back when they removed the bottom status bar thing where addons used to place their icons and put the addon bar bar in its place as an option, I kept using the addon bar because I didn't like having to place giant icons on the main toolbar for every addon that needed an icon that either just displayed a status or that I occasionally needed to click on. The new menu thing acts as both a menu and addon bar, but I think it's better. I don't have to clutter up the main toolbar with addon icons that I rarely need to see or use, but instead place them in the menu where I can get to them if I need to see them or interact with them.

MeanJim on Steam

4. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jan 19, 2015, 04:20 jimnms

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 19, 2015, 03:37:
When you right click on a link it showed me "Share link" Btw, to remove that (not just that 1, but several social media right click "trap" links) I had to install extension called menu editor...

No idea what I did to get that, but I wasn't asked and yet I had this nonsense everywhere. One more such stunt and I am gonna write a hate mail to the developers.

Are you sure you don't have an addon that is putting them there? My right click menus didn't change with the update:
Right Clicking Link
Right Clicking Page

MeanJim on Steam

2. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jan 19, 2015, 03:12 jimnms

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 19, 2015, 00:44:
My first experience of FF35 was a 20 minute google search on how to remove all that social media crap from the browser. (Share links on right click, etc.) is that the direction Mozilla really wants to take this?

What kind of social media crap are you talking about? I'm not seeing it. The first new thing I noticed after the update to 35 was a new icon that looked like a paper airplane on the toolbar. I clicked it and saw some sharing shit. I right clicked it and selected remove from toolbar. That's all I did, and I don't see any sharing options when right clicking links or on pages.

FF35 already made some changes in 35 that broke some add-ons. The Enhanced Steam plugin causes the broswer to crash when viewing Steam pages. A newer version of ES was quickly put out, and while it doesn't crash as often, it still crashes randomly.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V PC Preorders
23. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Preorders Jan 17, 2015, 00:09 jimnms

NamecaF wrote on Jan 16, 2015, 23:51:
Definitely going to wait and see on this one. And even if the port is good, I wont be rewarding them with money for it. I'll torrent it. Fuck Rockstar.

I'm confused. Headscratch First we're begging R* to give us GTA V on PC, and now that they've "remastered" it for PC and "next gen" consoles, given it a first person view and other enhancements, people are now bitching and saying they're going to pirate it because it took them too long. I'm sure that will teach them to bring us games we want to our platform of choice. Fucking looser. Middlefinger

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: 2015 will be the year of container wars Jan 15, 2015, 19:05 jimnms

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 15, 2015, 12:24:
Registration required, albeit free. Why are we linking to websites that require it now?

http://bugmenot.com/view/infoworld.com

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > PC Grand Theft Auto V Delayed to March; Specs Revealed
46. Re: PC Grand Theft Auto V Delayed to March; Specs Revealed Jan 13, 2015, 15:16 jimnms

I don't really care. I finally started playing Wasteland 2 and I think it's going to consume me for quite a while. I also wanted to build a new system by the time GTA V came out. I started planning out the new system build last month. I'm usually excited about building a new system, but for some reason I'm not really looking forward to it this time though. My current system has been flawless for the past 4 or so years. I've upgraded the video card a couple of times and added more HD space and RAM. This will give me more time to get it done.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > etc., etc.
10. Re: etc., etc. Jan 13, 2015, 15:07 jimnms

I don't care what gender, or even species the main character in a game is. I just care whether it's a good game or not.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 10, 2015, 04:24 jimnms

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 9, 2015, 10:58:
Flashback to 1998. Quake II LAN Party.

We held parties in 1995 and 1996, not sure any of us had cameras.....I'll ask around...

Around 1996 a couple of my friends had a computer shop in town which was perfect for LAN parties. It started out as just us and a few close friends, then those friends started bringing friends and then those friends brought friends and it grew. We used to call around to see if we had enough to bother, but eventually it became an every weekend deal where we just showed up with our computers. Word got out and strangers would show up with their computers and ask if this is where Quake was played. We had 16-20 or more every weekend. I don't think anyone bothered taking pictures though. That lasted a good couple of years before they closed the store. We tried to keep it going by trying to get everyone together once a month, but that didn't ever work out.

I have some pictures dated March 1998 when a friend and I went to another LAN party. I don't remember how he heard about it, but I think it was kind of like what we used to have, friends of friends of friends, but this time we were the strangers showing up. It was a whole weekend LAN party, it started on Friday and ended on Sunday. We packed up our stuff and drove there, but we couldn't afford a hotel so we slept in the car. I remember it was cold and rained the whole weekend.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
11. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 8, 2015, 01:19 jimnms

Cutter wrote on Jan 7, 2015, 13:25:
If you make money off someone else's work than yes, you owe them money.

Not when companies give permission to post and monetize videos. Lately I've seen sticky posts on official game forums with a link to an official statements saying that people can post lets play videos and monetize them.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steam Beta Adds FPS Counter
7. Re: Steam Beta Adds FPS Counter Jan 6, 2015, 02:21 jimnms

jdreyer wrote on Jan 5, 2015, 16:50:
Also, I'd like it to track my hours when I play in offline mode, which is quite often.

That kind of defeats the purpose of offline mode, but I don't see why it isn't possible. Somewhere along the line it started triggering achievements when playing offline and syncing them when you connect. I put Steam in offline mode to test some mods so I didn't accidentally trigger achievements while screwing around. I've done this many times before, but a few months ago while testing out a mod in Skyrim and screwing around, I triggered an achievement. The little popup box showed, which surprised me, but I figured it didn't actually apply it since I was offline. Once I re-connected though and checked my activity feed, it showed me getting that achievement.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steam Top 10
10. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 4, 2015, 16:43 jimnms

3. Divinity: Original Sin
6. Wasteland 2

Isometric, turn based RPGs are dead. Rolleyes I just started on WL2 this weekend and loving it. I played a bit while it was in early access, but held off until now to start. I played D:OS some in its EA, and started a coop game with a friend, but we haven't been able to finish due to different schedules. I'll get to it SP after finishing WL2. After that, I have Dead State, and by then Torment and Eternity might be released.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > On Sale
7. Re: On Sale Jan 2, 2015, 17:26 jimnms

I'm never buying anything from GameStop again, even if they have the cheapest price. I went ahead and bought Dragon Age Origins Ultimate Edition (Origin Code) from them for $5. Steam's sale price was $7.49, but I almost bought it on Steam since I had enough in my Steam wallet to cover it from selling things. It has been two days and I still haven't received the damn Origin code.

I tried to contact them yesterday. Their support page only has a phone number or a chat deal. The chat thing didn't work so I called and sat on hold for an hour before hanging up. I tried again today, and this time the chat thing worked. I started at #120-something in the queue, but I also called the number again and sat on hold. About 45 minutes later I had to go, so I hung up. I left the chat thing open and when I got back about an hour later I was #60 in the queue.

I eventually got through on the chat thing and the person told me my payment was declined and I needed to call my bank. I told them I used PayPal. They had me check the status of the payment on PayPal and it just showed pending. They said they would have to re-authorize it and I would receive an update by email. I asked how long that would take, and they said 1-2 business days. Yousaidwhat I figured that was probably just a standard CYA response and it would go through in an hour or so, but that was 4 hours ago.

It's not like I was going to start playing it right away, but this is ridiculous. I'm thinking now I just want to cancel the order and just pick it up next time it goes on sale on Steam, but I'm not going to sit on hold or wait in a fucking chat queue for hours again. I dug through their site and did find one page with a link to email them, but it goes to a 404 page. I can't find a way to cancel it through PayPal either.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > On Sale
7. Re: On Sale Dec 30, 2014, 23:38 jimnms

I have so many games I have yet to play that I only buy something if I will play it right away or if it's over 75% off. So far I've only bought some DLC from Steam and a couple of things from Amazon. I managed to trade my last copy of PAYDAY 2 I had from the 4-pack I bought during the summer for Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut.

I was hoping to pick up Dragon Age: Origins from Steam since I have a little over $7 in my Steam wallet from selling stuff. Steam has it on flash sale today for $7.49, but it's $4.99 at GameStop for an Origin code. I was hoping Steam would match GameStop's price. I can't decide whether to go ahead and get it on Steam since it's practically free, or go ahead and buy it for $5 and save my Steam wallet funds for the next sale.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Pardo: Olympics Should Include Esports [Updated]
34. Re: Blizzard: Olympics Should Include Esports Dec 24, 2014, 19:56 jimnms

Does anyone even watch the Olympics? I don't understand why people like watching people play games, but it seems to be a big deal.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers
6. Re: New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Dec 23, 2014, 21:20 jimnms

pagb wrote on Dec 23, 2014, 16:00:
I haven't upgraded since May or something like that. Every time I do it, it breaks Shadowplay one way or another.

Has Shadowplay ever worked? I tried it a few driver releases after it came out and it didn't work. I kept trying it each update but it never worked, so I just uninstalled it.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Dec 21, 2014, 18:08 jimnms

Amazon has a sale going on. They have the Skyrim's Dawnguard and Dragonborn DLC at 75% off instead of Steam's 50% off, which makes it a little cheaper to buy than buy the Legendary Edition if you're in the same situation as I am and only need these two or one of them.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
4. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Dec 20, 2014, 19:13 jimnms

However, the door doesnít automatically unlock when the interior handle is pulled

I thought it was a safety deal that the interior door handles had to mechanically unlock and open the doors. Every car I've seen that has electronic locks still have mechanical door handles inside. My car has electronic locks, even though it has key holes on the outside, they just send an electronic signal to lock/unlock the door or roll down the windows (love that feature in the summer) depending on which way you turn it and how long you hold it there. The inside door handles are still mechanical though and open the car whether it's locked or not.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > On Sale
5. Re: On Sale Dec 20, 2014, 02:33 jimnms

GameStop has a sale going on. There's a few good deals in there, like Dragon Age Origins for $5 or Battlefield 4 for $5. I'm tempted to get DA:O. It's an Origin code though. I'm not anti-Origin, I was hoping it would go on sale on Steam or Amazon (it was $5 on Amazon once before and I missed it). I don't really want to give any money to GameStop though, and it'll be just my luck that it will show up on Steam or Amazon right after I buy it.  

MeanJim on Steam

2366 Comments. 119 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo