Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2157 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2014, 18:47 jimnms

RoboNerd wrote on Apr 9, 2014, 09:45:
Re: America's Ten Best Cities for BBQ

KC is number 3! They mention Arthur Bryant's, but they should also have mentioned Gates - walk in the front door and have "Hi May I Help You!" screamed at you. Oklahoma Joe's is a relative newcomer that's getting a lot of good press, but Arthur Bryant's & Gates are the pillars. Drool2

I've been to Austin, Atlanta, Dallas, Memphis and St. Louis. I'd rate them #1 Memphis, #2 St. Louis with Dallas and Austin tied for #3. I'm a bit partial to my local home town's BBQ though, which is a mixture of Memphis and St. Louis styles.

Steam Profile
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Into the Black
8. Re: Into the Black Apr 9, 2014, 00:09 jimnms

Cutter wrote on Apr 8, 2014, 19:12:
I swear when I see/hear/meet people like this I think, 'The Idiocracy must be stopped.' Of course, Churchill said it best....

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." - Winston Churchill

Yeah, it's long past due to rethink this whole "democracy" thing, isn't it?

Ever hear of "Wisdom of the Crowd?"

Steam Profile

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Prequel Plans?
22. Re: Borderlands 2 Prequel Plans? Apr 7, 2014, 19:59 jimnms

I enjoyed the first one more, mainly because I played it exclusively with two friends. When BL2 came out, only one of those friends got it, and he quit playing before getting off the first "tutorial" island. I continued solo, through to the end, and completed a few of the DLC. Without friends to play with it gets repetitive and boring. The first part of BL2 was quite dull and it picked up after getting done. I tried explaining that to my friend, but he has no interest in giving it another go.

I bought the season pass and played through a couple of the DLC, but I finally got bored of it myself.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Full Watch Dogs System Specs
35. Re: Full Watch Dogs System Specs Apr 7, 2014, 03:59 jimnms

Jerykk wrote on Apr 6, 2014, 20:52:
One thing I haven't seen any confirmation on is if the Steam version requires Uplay. It's not listed in the requirements like it is for other games requiring Uplay.

It will definitely require Uplay regardless of where you buy it. All of Ubisoft's first-party games require Uplay.

If you look at the Steam store page's system requirements on all of those titles it specifically says it requires a Uplay account. The store page for Watch_Dogs does not.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
2. Best Buy Offers Windows XP Users $100 Trade-in Credit Apr 6, 2014, 21:41 jimnms

The article says bring in any XP PC, but on BB's website and it says "bring in your working Windows XP laptop and trade it in for a $25 gift card plus a discount coupon good for $75 toward the purchase of a new Windows computer, Apple computer or Chromebook." It also says "Limit of 3 trade-in transactions per person, per day," so does that mean I can trade in three devices and get $300 off a new system? I have three old laptops that work and are running XP, but I don't really want to get rid of two of them. One I do use and am going to put Linux on it, the other I just want to keep for sentimental reasons.

If they'll take any XP PC, I also have 3 OEM PCs (maybe more) in my junk closet that have Windows XP license stickers on them, and two or three more that I built. They all have some parts missing, but I think I can piece most of them together to get it to power on and show it's working. If I could trade all of those in I could get a nice new notebook for free.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Full Watch Dogs System Specs
22. Re: Full Watch Dogs System Specs Apr 6, 2014, 20:40 jimnms

I'm still going to wait for reviews, some actual gameplay footage (most of what I've seen so far looks scripted) and a price drop. I'm not paying $70 for the full game or $60 for a stripped down version missing ~2 hours of gameplay without a demo or seeing it in action. I've got plenty of games to keep me busy until this gets down to a price I feel is worth picking up, but once again, I need to see some actual gameplay first before I decide that.

One thing I haven't seen any confirmation on is if the Steam version requires Uplay. It's not listed in the requirements like it is for other games requiring Uplay.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Monaco's Final Chapter Released
10. Re: Monaco's Final Chapter Released Apr 6, 2014, 17:10 jimnms

Hyatus wrote on Apr 6, 2014, 12:12:
Gotcha. That seems kind of stupid. How does one know whether they already own it or not, then?

Look in your Steam client. If you don't own it, during the free period it shows the game name with the time left next to it.

Steam Profile

News Comments > Monaco's Final Chapter Released
7. Re: Monaco's Final Chapter Released Apr 6, 2014, 01:11 jimnms

I picked this up during the winter sale from the Humble Store (for $2.99), but have yet to play it. I guess now is a good time to try it out.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
8. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 4, 2014, 19:00 jimnms

jdreyer wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 18:53:
The sad thing is that the vast majority of usage of this product is by folks to rip their DVDs for use on tablets or PCs or whatever. It's not used for piracy or other things that undercut DVD sales.

Also, I bet if we investigate the history of that Antiguan law, I'm sure it was funded and pushed through by the MPAA or whatever.

I bought AnyDVD HD years ago to be able to play Bluray movies on my PC. My display and GPU both supported HDCP, but something was preventing Bluray players from seeing that. I think it was nvidia's drivers because my monitor has the HDCP logo on the box but the nvidia control panel showed the display as non HDCP, so basically I had to break the law to play movies that I fucking bought.

Now I have a new monitor and GPU now and HDCP is working, but I still use AnyDVD HD when watching movies because it lets me skip the stupid annoying shit that you normally can't skip. I really hate Blueray. At least DVDs let you skip the trailers and go straight to the menu, but most Blueray's wont. Some let you skip trailers one at a time, but rarely will one let you skip all and go straight to the menu. Some even have trailers that you can't skip at all. Thanks to AnyDVD HD though, I can put in a disk and have it go straight to the menu now. I don't think I could ever go back to watching Bluray movies without AnyDVD HD.

Steam Profile

News Comments > GameSpy Shutting Down Services
30. Re: GameSpy Shutting Down Services Apr 3, 2014, 23:16 jimnms

So non Steam ArmA 2 users get the shaft? I still have it installed, though I doubt I'll play it anytime soon (if ever), but still feels shitty to only patch the Steam version.

It would be nice to see a list of games effected. I'm pretty sure no games I currently play use GameSpy. BFBC2 I think uses it, and oddly enough I was thinking of playing it this weekend.

Steam Profile

33. Chick-fil-A steals KFC's chicken crown. Apr 2, 2014, 02:11 jimnms

Ewww. We had a Chick-fil-A open up recently here (small city) and people were waiting in line for hours, with lines for over a mile. I'm not kidding about the lines. It's near a busy 4-way intersection and cars were coming at it from all 4 ways. The police had to come out start making people leave because it was causing too much traffic, and that shit went on for about 3 weeks.

I've eaten at one a long time ago. I didn't think it was all that great and never went out of my way to go there again. After the frenzy died down, my sister brought me some once when she dropped my niece off and I thought it was disgusting. I thought maybe it was just a bad day, and gave it another try when she offered to bring me some again. Nope, it was still disgusting. I don't know what it is, but it tastes sweet, like they put sugar in their batter or something. I don't eat fried food much these days, but both KFC and Popeye's have some pretty damn good chicken strips.

Steam Profile

News Comments > On Sale
8. Re: On Sale Apr 1, 2014, 22:19 jimnms

jdreyer wrote on Apr 1, 2014, 21:50:
How is Kerbal these days? I usually don't buy early access.

KSP is an example of early access done right. It is still Alpha, but is very stable and fun. Patches do sometimes break saves (and mods), and there are a ton of mods. The price goes up as the game gets more complete, so if you want it cheaper get in now. There is a demo, which is several versions old, but it's still enough to give you an idea if you'll like it.

Steam Profile

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Apr 1, 2014, 21:11 jimnms

Kerbal Space Program is on sale on Steam to celebrate the 0.23.5 NASA Asteroid Recovery Mission pack.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > On Sale
15. Re: On Sale Mar 31, 2014, 17:09 jimnms

Creston wrote on Mar 31, 2014, 11:32:
While the linked article is scummy, I'm not all that thrilled about (apparently, if I understand you correctly) having to give my Steam login credentials to a third party website?

You don't give your Steam login credentials to anyone, they use the Steam OpenID deal.

Steam Profile

News Comments > On Sale
9. Re: On Sale Mar 30, 2014, 20:58 jimnms

Cutter wrote on Mar 30, 2014, 20:28:
Saboth wrote on Mar 30, 2014, 19:11:
Cutter wrote on Mar 30, 2014, 15:34:
I agree there's something to be said for that. It's like buying a new car and the dealer telling you you're not allowed to ever sell it. It's not like HB isn't making their money. No one is technically stealing anything here.

Sounds like piracy advocacy to me. The terms explicitly state you can't resell the games. Just like when you buy those large packs of tiny crackers or chips that say "not for resale".

Well, that's only if you agree that sowftware can only be licensed and not owned. I don't. I pay for a copy of something and it's mine as far as I'm concerned. Just like books, CDs, DVDs, cars, furniture, etc. No one seens to have a problem going to a restaurant and paying more for resold food. So it's an entirely a matter of perspective on that front.

However, as I said, it may not be illegal but it's certainly in poor taste.

Software, especially software sold only through digital distribution, can't be compared to physical objects. You can't make a copy of your car and sell the original keeping one for yourself like you can software.

You can't sell your Steam games because they're tied to your account, but what about GOG? Do you think it wold be OK to buy a game from GOG, then sell your copy after you've played it? What if this bought these games from GOG and begin reselling copies of it, would that still be OK?

Steam Profile

News Comments > Women In Video Games Initiative
26. Re: Women In Video Games Initiative Mar 28, 2014, 21:51 jimnms

Task wrote on Mar 28, 2014, 13:17:
that gave me many chuckles, thank you. some people think its stupid, but i sometimes create 'female' characters in RPGs

Why do people think that's stupid? It's called role playing for a reason. I usually play RPGs a second time as a female character. In the better RPGs, some NPCs will react different to female characters, often opening up different ways to complete quests. I don't care much for 3rd person games, but if I do play one and I have a choice (Saint's Row for example), I go for a female character. If I have to stare at a character's ass while playing, I'd much rather stare at a nice one.

Steam Profile

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Mar 27, 2014, 04:25 jimnms

Axis wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 21:10:
Stay away from Spacebase, another fail early access with little development.

I was curious about it a while back so looked up a "lets play" on YouTube. The guy played it for about 10 minutes, had a nice little base going, then began to wander what else there was to do. From watching it, I couldn't tell where the "game" was. It looks like the Sims in Space or something.

Steam Profile

News Comments > On Sale
13. Re: On Sale Mar 19, 2014, 12:00 jimnms

Speaking of bundles, I have an extra gift copy of the Indie Gala Rise of Flight Bundle if anyone wants to trade for the Adrenaline Bundle.  

Steam Profile

News Comments > On Sale
8. Re: On Sale Mar 18, 2014, 21:16 jimnms

Cutter wrote on Mar 18, 2014, 17:53:
If you haven't grabbed Expeditions: Conquistador yet, run, don't walk, to get it. Totally a steal for $5. I don't know how or why this was overlooked by so many people but it's a gem. Ima probably give this another playthrough again very soon. I hope it did well enough to warrant a follow-up.
For the same price you can pick up this bundle and get it along with a few other games.

Steam Profile

20. Re: Genetic Car Thingy Mar 18, 2014, 02:22 jimnms

Sepharo wrote on Mar 18, 2014, 00:37:
#1: 179.68 d:174.24 h:-2.88/5.58m (gen 18)

Mine went farther quicker

edit: Actually I see your top car hit its record pretty early on.

edit2: Damn my new car just put a smack down on that track no matter how ridiculous it got.
http://i.imgur.com/nxmwYhl.png

Put "bluesnews.com" as the seed so we're on the same track. I left it running without a reset and finally two cars beat it.
http://i.imgur.com/1abMapW.png

Steam Profile

2157 Comments. 108 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo