Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2417 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 24, 2015, 16:34 jimnms

Simon Says wrote on Jul 24, 2015, 14:33:
You might want to hold out a bit, people are reporting absent driver support for ethernet hardware on many old mobos. Like LGA 1156's, I for one's got a P7P55D and I don't even have ethernet drivers for Win 8 yet even if its only 5 years old and the CPU on it ( i5-750 ) is as fast as the current mid-end to low-end processors, so Win 10, heh, not a chance, stupid ASUS.

I have the same board and CPU. Don't rely on ASUS (or any mother board manufacturer) for drivers, just go to the source for drivers. Here are LAN Drivers for Win 8 right here.

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
8. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 24, 2015, 16:19 jimnms

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jul 24, 2015, 13:55:
HorrorScope wrote on Jul 24, 2015, 11:08:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Jul 24, 2015, 09:45:
I can barely remember the last time I went into a Wal*Mart. It just kind of sucks for so many reasons. I'd rather go to a Dollar Store.

I go routinely, small town, and I guess I don't have the horror stories people talk about in larger cities, like how people look, the horror. I do watch TV and I eat at Mc Donald's to now and again and get a coffee regularly. Somebody like me has to exists since millions use these services, right?

Their electronics are name brand, movies, candy, deodorant, light bulbs, fertilizer seems as good as anyone else.

The only real issue I have is active checkout lanes, it is their #1 complaint, they go on TV we are fixing it and it remains the same year after year. If it has improved it is like they added a half a person a day into the mix.

I also live in a small town. It doesn't even have a Wal*Mart.

I just order online. The only thing I buy in person now is clothes and groceries.

Small town here too. I rotate between two different grocery stores and Walmart. Shopping at the grocery stores tends to be more expensive but more convenient for quick trips. They each have things the other doesn't.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Fallout 4 Website
12. Re: Fallout 4 Website Jul 19, 2015, 21:18 jimnms

ventry wrote on Jul 18, 2015, 19:57:
Just finished reading comments in the previous Fallout 4 story.
Wow! What a bunch of whinging, bitching, pissin' & moanin', complaining, crying, grizzling, self-entitled, spoiled rotten BRATS!

Everything we have seen so far has been from console version.
Q: How do you know the PC version will be the same?? (re: textures, lighting, etc.)
A: You don't know shit.

Q: When has Bethesda ever done anything different for the PC than the console?
A: Never

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
8. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 17, 2015, 03:21 jimnms

I didn't even know about it until it was almost over. They could have sent out an email or something. The only reason I knew about it was from here, but I was a day behind on news. By the time I checked the site there was only a few hours left and I didn't see any good deals.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 13, 2015, 14:29 jimnms

nin wrote on Jul 13, 2015, 09:28:
He knows he can't get the mileage off that way, right????

I knew what that was going to be before I clicked on it.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. QuakeCon Jul 9, 2015, 21:30 jimnms

If I still had family in Dallas I'd go over and check out Fallout 4. I was hoping they would have a playable demo like they did for New Vegas, but since it's just a presentation, it's not worth it.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Op Ed
22. Re: Op Ed Jul 3, 2015, 19:33 jimnms

Sepharo wrote on Jul 2, 2015, 22:49:
Dacron wrote on Jul 2, 2015, 21:47:
Silent Bob wrote on Jul 2, 2015, 17:11:
HoSpanky wrote on Jul 2, 2015, 13:54:
Well, a huge portion of the game world is clearly there for multiplayer. I never had a reason to visit the wind farm in single player, but then they have you race jets at insanely low altitude through it in multi.

There was one mission in single player on PC where you had to fly through the wind farm with choppers.

A bounty for Trevor is in there as well I believe.

I don't think so. I just recently did all of those on PC and I don't recall going over there.

You might be thinking of the quarry which is nearby.

I thought there was a bounty there as well. If it wasn't a bounty, then it must have been a strangers & freaks or something because I do remember going there for some reason. There also was a heist mission where you had to fly a helicopter through the wind farm to lose the Merryweather helicopters chasing you. Since heists have two ways of completing them, you probably didn't chose that option. I re-played each heist to try both options, but I don't remember which heist it was.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: Op Ed Jul 2, 2015, 20:15 jimnms

Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
9. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 27, 2015, 20:35 jimnms

I wish MS would extend the Win10 upgrade to Vista. I bought Vista waaaaay back when CompUSA was closing down. I went in there a day or two before they closed the doors and got a copy of Vista Home Premium for $15. They had tons of them, and after I got home realized I should had bought a bunch of them and sold them on eBay. I went back the next day to stock up, but all they had left was Vista Basic.

I never even used it though. It's still sitting on my shelf, unopened and shrink wrapped.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Deus Ex Documentary; CE Vote; Free DX Human Revolution with Donation
3. Re: Deus Ex Documentary; CE Vote; Free DX Human Revolution with Donation Jun 27, 2015, 08:52 jimnms

NKD wrote on Jun 26, 2015, 19:41:
Man 15 years since Deus Ex. I wonder how many hours I've sunk into Deus Ex and its sequel?

I've only played DX:HR once, DX:IW twice, and I don't remember how many times I played the original. I've bought it at least 5 times.

The first time I got it, I traded another game for it with a friend. My computer at the time couldn't play it maxed out, but I still played it every day until I finished it. He ended up wanting it back, so I swapped it for another game.

After upgrading my system later, I wanted to play it again, so I bought a copy of my own. Even on the new system I remember I couldn't run it on the highest texture setting. I later traded it in at GameStop to buy another game way back when they would let you trade in PC games.

A couple of years later I later saw it in the bargain bin at a Best Buy, bought and played at it again. This was the big box, GOTY, two-disk edition with sound track.

A few more years later I was wanting to play it again, but I don't know what happened to my disks. I still have the box and the cardboard CD case, but I can't find the disks. I ended up buying a copy on eBay. It too was the GOTY edition, but it was the re-release that didn't include the sound track. I still have this disk.

I bought the Deus Ex Collection (DX and DX:IW) on Steam during a sale so I would have a digital backup. I started to play the Steam version, but I never finished.

I was a little disappointed that the Steam version didn't include the sound track, even though they call it the GOTY edition, so I bought it from GOG too since it is the proper GOTY edition with the sound track.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 25, 2015, 19:31 jimnms

jdreyer wrote on Jun 25, 2015, 17:51:
Thoughts on the new Netflix website redesign? Not saying the old one was better, but I'm finding the new one just as annoying to use.

I rarely browse the site and just search for what I want. I have a bookmark to my DVD queue, and when I want to watch something from the instant video I click the link to go to my instant video queue. Those pages don't seem to have changed, but they've decided to make it annoying. When I first click the link to go to the instant queue, or "My List" as they call it, it always takes me to the browse page instead. I have to go back to the DVD queue page and click it again to see my instant queue. I know there's a link on the browse page, but that page seems to rearrange itself every time.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > etc.
10. Re: etc. Jun 20, 2015, 19:03 jimnms

Axis wrote on Jun 20, 2015, 10:26:
Why anyone would want to waste time on these clicking games is beyond me.

Read the article. They didn't wast time clicking. They created scripts to automate playing the game for them. Then they devised a strategy which basically involved no clicking at all. I was in the last room to reach 100M on the first day it happened. The strategy was to use your badge points to buy wormholes and like new abilities, then in the game only buy health, nothing else, and then don't touch anything. It's odd, but the fastest way to get higher levels is to do as little damage as possible. This lets you stay on bosses (the x00 levels) longer so you can use more wormholes and jump farther.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Overwatch Trailer
7. Re: Overwatch Trailer Jun 18, 2015, 23:15 jimnms

ColoradoHoudini wrote on Jun 18, 2015, 22:31:
I get invited to a Thunderwalker CTF match every so often.. I probably should play!

Oh I miss those days. We used to have weekly LAN parties with 12-20 people and play TWCTF. SPOON!

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
19. Re: Kerbal Space Program confirmed for PlayStation 4 Jun 18, 2015, 18:24 jimnms

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 18, 2015, 04:41:
Yeah but worse than crashes is imo that they somehow broke the orbit path predictions. I have seen orbits that tell me "AP = 30km" but when the SOI switches into that planets orbit I have suddenly an orbit straight into the ground, with no input from me, just time acceleration.

And stuff like that just should not happen in a release version of a game about space travel.

Also with force d11 fonts break, and with force OpenGL my performance drops by a good 30fps. So it's like choosing between pestilence and hunger.

The game runs better in D3D11 for me, so I can live with the fonts. They're only messed up for me in the contract screen. I heard it looks worse using OpenGL, so I haven't tried that.

I haven't gotten any weird orbit changes when changing SOI either, but I've only been to Mun and Minmus so far since 1.0.x. I'm using a mod called DMagic Science or something, which adds some new science parts for rovers and probes. I didn't want it to make getting science easier so I turned science way down in the difficulty thinking it would balance it out. I didn't realize that the new science parts don't return much to begin with, so it has been a bit of a grind to unlock tech.

MeanJim on Steam

17. Re: Kerbal Space Program confirmed for PlayStation 4 Jun 18, 2015, 04:32 jimnms

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 18, 2015, 03:02:
I had to run ActiveTexture at Aggressive to even start KSP without a crash with my base mod set, which is 40% of what I ran with 1.0 ;/

I dunno what else they did but I have had a ton of crashes ever since 1.0.1/1.0.2 :/

I installed ATM, which I never had to do before. Using "-force-d3d11" command line further reduces the memory footprint, but it messes up the fonts on some screens.

MeanJim on Steam

15. Kerbal Space Program confirmed for PlayStation 4 Jun 17, 2015, 19:05 jimnms

Is this why it's taking so long for them to fix the goddam memory leaks in 1.0.2? I love the game, but they introduced the memory leak bugs with 1.0.1 and 1.0.2 and haven't fixed them yet. I love the game, but this is pissing me off.

If you don't know, there are two major memory leaks in the game. The worst one is with the new temp gauges for overheating parts. If a part starts overheating, a temp gauge gets overlaid on it. When those gauges show up, the game starts eating up about 100MB of RAM per second which will crash the game very fast, especially if you're running a lot of mods that are pushing it to the limit. The other one is the game doesn't release memory when switching scenes. This happens if you switch vessels from the map, or from a vessel back to the space center, each time you enter/exit a building, etc. Each time it eats up a little more RAM and eventually the game runs out of memory and crashes.

The first memory leak can be fixed by disabling the temp gauge overlay by pressing F10, but you have to do this every time you launch or switch vessels. There is a mod that sets them to disable by default though. There is nothing you can do about the second leak though except monitor the memory usage and restart the game before it crashes.

I had to disable some mods just to keep the game from crashing so often. The game crashes when it exceeds about 3.5GB of RAM. The stock game with no mods only takes up about 1.5GB, so it takes it a while to crash. With all of the mods I was using, I was sitting right at 3GB, so it crashed quit often. I disabled some to get the mem usage down to 2.5GB. I can now play it for about 2 hours before I have to restart.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > etc., etc.
12. Re: etc., etc. Jun 17, 2015, 18:47 jimnms

PHJF wrote on Jun 17, 2015, 12:00:
Well when you've got an AI as fucking retarded as that in Fallout 3, Boone wouldn't have made it three steps outside Novac without being immortal.

Boon is one of the more lethal companions when he worked, but they broke him in the first or second patch and never properly fixed him. After the patch that broke him, he would not shoot at anything, but keep holstering his gun because his script kept causing him to drop out of compat. There was a patch that claimed to fix him, but he's still broken. He doesn't holster his gun, but he gets rarely shoots and gets up in your face and keeps yelling "come on!" since his script is still causing him to drop in and out of combat several times per second. You have to use a mod or unofficial patch to fix him (I recommend YUP).

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: etc., etc. Jun 16, 2015, 22:13 jimnms

I don't like it when they make any character unkillable, especially companions. And FFS, come up with a new name, there's only one true dogmeat. Better yet, let us name it. If they went to the trouble of recording thousands of common names so that robot might speak your name, why not let us name the dog and have the stupid voiced character say the dogs name. I really hope you can disable the player voice though.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Rainbow Six Siege Multiplayer Trailer
3. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Multiplayer Trailer Jun 15, 2015, 23:01 jimnms

This has never impressed me since the first video footage of it. It's like the walls are made of Legos because they explode when shot, and it looks stupid. Small teams, small maps, and although there are objectives, the play is just going to end up devolving into team DM 99% of the time.  

MeanJim on Steam

2417 Comments. 121 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo