Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2175 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

PC Gaming > Post your FPS config - old school
19. No subject Sep 19, 2014, 14:59 jimnms

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 19, 2014, 03:02:
F = Jump
V = crouch

? What do you do with games that give you a distinct advantage when you crouch+jump? Gives you a 6inch to 1 foot increase in jump when you crouch AND jump......a weird deal in some games, but gets you to places you would NOT be able to with your setup..... ie: Counter Strike games. To get on boxes you MUST crouch then jump. They are used together, not one after the other.

I haven't played CS in a long time, but it's easy. I move my index finger to V and middle finger F, it's just a quick roll of the fingers to crouch-jump, then move them back. It takes only a split second.

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Train Simulator 2015 on Steam
3. Re: Train Simulator 2015 on Steam Sep 19, 2014, 14:44 jimnms

Out of 2000+ reviews, 98% are negative reviews!  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut Released
7. Re: Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut Released Sep 19, 2014, 01:46 jimnms

I picked up Shadowrun during this past Steam sale, but didn't grab the DLC. I see this replaces the DLC as a stand alone title, so it will probably be a while before it goes on sale. I can wait though, WL2 comes out tomorrow and I haven't even started D:OS even though I played it in Early Access. I'm probably going to start D:OS soon and give WL2 a couple of months to mature before I go into it.  

MeanJim on Steam

PC Gaming > Post your FPS config - old school
16. No subject Sep 18, 2014, 17:05 jimnms

I've used RMB for move forward since, well always. Here's pretty my my standard setup:

RMB = Move forward
Spacebar = Move backward
S = Strafe left
D = Strafe right
F = Jump
V = crouch
G = Use/activate
LSHIFT = Walk/run/sprint
LALT = Reload

This setup splits up the fingers used for movement between the hands so I always have my fingers on the move keys and have extra fingers available to press other keys. Unlike WASD, where one hand is tied up for movement and to press any other key you have to take a finger off a movement key.

This also frees up the QWERTYAHZXCVBN keys that are all reachable by my left hand to be used for anything else. I also have the MMB and two thumb buttons on my mouse (Logitech G500), which I typically use one for iron sights if the game has that, and the other for alt fire if it has that.

I tried WASD. I figured if it was so popular, it must be good, but I find it clumsy and makes my left hand tired.

It is a pain in the ass when a game doesn't let you bind the mouse buttons to move. I think I've only run into two games that wouldn't let me rebind the RMB to forward. GTA IV was the first game that I really had a problem with. I used a program called AutoHotKey to bind a key to the RMB and setup GTA IV to use that key for forward. It halfway worked because although the RMB moved forward, somehow it still recognized the RMB which is hard coded to hang up the phone. Even after they patched the game to allow full key and mouse rebinding, the RMB is still hard coded to hang up the phone.

After getting this G500 mouse, the Logitech mouse drivers will let you remap mouse buttons to keys, and it does it in hardware so GTA no longer recognizes the RMB and hangs up the phone.

The other game was the Mafia II demo. I don't know if they ever fixed it, but AutoHotKey worked fine with it. I never bought it, but ended up getting it free a while ago and haven't played it yet.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 18, 2014, 13:05 jimnms

Until they're forced to install a back door...  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin Free DLC
20. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Free DLC Sep 16, 2014, 23:27 jimnms

I'm wondering why they tacked this on as "Free DLC" instead of just patching it in. This is content they themselves said was going to be cut to make release, and promised to patch in later. I was waiting for this patch before I started playing.

Steam says I have 30 hours, and I think 20 of those were playing the alpha and beta from KS. I spent a few hours after it was released trying different character builds and running through the beginning of the game, and I fire it up after each update hoping to see a fix to something that has annoyed me since the alpha that still hasn't been addressed. I think I'm going to wait for another patch or two because they are talking about updating the inventory system and doing more fixing on the dual/coop dialog, both of which need work.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Bejeweled 3 Free on Origin
3. Re: Bejeweled 3 Free on Origin Sep 16, 2014, 23:11 jimnms

I'm still hoping for DAO to go free. The last few free games have been games that were in the Humble Origin Bundle.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
8. Re: Evening Consolidation Sep 15, 2014, 21:50 jimnms

Enjoying your new console? Well, Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter thinks itíll soon be obsolete...
Soon? Next Gen consoles were obsolete the day they were released.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 3, 2014, 17:56 jimnms

nin wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 15:50:
1badmf wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 15:03:
people still use winrar? hell, people still use compression containers?

I do. Quick and easy for files with password protection w/ encryption. What else should I be using?

7-zip, PeaZip? I used WinRAR a long time ago, even paid for it, but I find the 7z format compresses better and faster. I think the last time I used WinRAR it was v2.9xx.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Interviews
3. Re: Morning Interviews Aug 29, 2014, 11:32 jimnms

NamecaF wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 10:30:
Haha. What's with all these Gar(r)ys in games these days
Vault 108?

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Interviews
17. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 28, 2014, 03:33 jimnms

Mad Max RW wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 22:27:
It's hard to believe anything these people say when they cry wolf so damn much.

Aaand it's probably fake.

It wouldn't be the first time she's lied. http://youtu.be/WuRSaLZidWI

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Last Chance at Some GOG.com Games
8. Re: Last Chance at Some GOG.com Games Aug 28, 2014, 03:19 jimnms

One thing I would like to know about GOG is who controls the price? I believe Steam lets publishers set prices now and control their own sales, but I get the feeling GOG is in control of the prices on their service. Back before the Fallout classics were removed, GOG gave them away for free, now these games are getting 80% off before being removed.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steam Allows Multiple Game Installs
18. Re: Steam Allows Multiple Game Installs Aug 27, 2014, 20:22 jimnms

nin wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 10:08:
Steam now also allows you to selectively chose which DLC to use, under the DLC tab. About time!
That has been there for a long time now. I don't remember if there was an announcement or if it was buried in update notes, but I just noticed it one day when checking a game to see what DLC I was missing.

starttimartti wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 10:14:
So with this I can install DirectX 9 and .net framework 10 times in a row automatically? Finally!
If I know I have it installed, I cancel that part and it never complains. What I hate is that each game has its own copy of these installers taking up space. I wish they would have a global redist directory that the games can call on when they want to install one.

Alamar wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 10:33:
Now you can not only buy, and not play games, you can install them and not play them!
I used to do that. When I bought a game, I would install it immediately whether I intended to play it right then or not. I haven't done that in a while though. Now I install games when I'm ready to play them. My Steam directory is 475GB, and that's after uninstalling some games I don't play anymore and playing some that I had installed and removing them.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
7. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 23, 2014, 17:05 jimnms

Since the photographer said the monkey stole his camera and took the photos, I kind of agree with the decision, but what if the photographer had given the camera to the monkey to see what would happen? The monkey still would have taken the photos, but the photographer would have been the one to set the experiment in motion. What about nature photos that are taken with cameras set up in the wild with sensors triggers by passing animals? The animals are the ones to trigger the shutter, so does that mean they can't be copyrighted too?

I hope this case isn't misused as a president to claim other nature photographs belong in the public domain.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 22, 2014, 22:19 jimnms

Creston wrote on Aug 22, 2014, 14:09:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 22, 2014, 14:01:
MythBusters Stars Kari Byron, Tory Belleci and Grant Imahara Are Leaving the Show.

So, I see that Adam and Jamie will return to become the sole hosts, but I wonder why? Just lower ratings so the show is trying to save money?

Most likely. It's been going on for a dozen or so years, so it's bound to eventually lose its charm.

They have also been annoying the living fuck out of a large amount of people by putting fucking goddamned TWEETS in the middle of the fucking screen during their episodes, because obviously we ALL want to see what @DipShitRetard thinks about mythbusters.

It annoyed me enough to the point where I was already thinking about not watching it any longer, and this is just the icing on the cake. Kari, Tory and Grant are far more entertaining to watch than Adam and Jamie. Without them, the show is just... blegh.

In the beginning it was just Adam and Jamie. I think Kari appeared briefly in one episode where they made a mold of her ass. Then Kari, that other chick and Tori came on as the build team. I remember when they changed the format of the show where Kari, Grant and Tori started doing myths on their own people were bitching and wanting it to go back to just Jamie and Adam. Now their gone and people are bitching to keep them.

I'm betting they're going to try and do some kind of spin-off show, but seeing the quality of shows Discovery lately, it's going to be good and get canceled or suck.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 22, 2014, 22:05 jimnms

WTF, they've made five sequels to Fast and the Furious?  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Legend of Grimrock 2 in Beta; iOS LoG Announced
4. Re: Legend of Grimrock 2 in Beta; iOS LoG Announced Aug 22, 2014, 21:45 jimnms

I loved it the first one, but sadly I still need to finish it. Damn my OCD, I just couldn't move on until I found all the secrets and opened those iron doors. I got to one iron door I couldn't figure out and finally moved on thinking maybe the way of opening it was on the next level. I think I went down two more levels and never found anything. Then that nagging feeling of not opening that door got to me and I had to go back up. I finally quit out of frustration, and I refuse to use a damn walkthrough or guide.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Dishonored Free Weekend
20. Re: Dishonored Free Weekend Aug 22, 2014, 21:30 jimnms

Redmask wrote on Aug 22, 2014, 09:03:
Acleacius wrote on Aug 21, 2014, 19:50:
In a typical zenimax greed move, they only put the dlc on sale for 50% off. This is the same way they try to force people to buy their games twice i.e. goty editions.

Why are they obligated to discount it more than 50%? How is a 50% off sale not generous on DLC?

They aren't, but in the past they always have. They always discount Fallout 3, Oblivion and Fallout New Vegas DLC the same as the GOTY. I know, but they're older games you were about to say. Fallout New Vegas DLC always received the same discount as the main game during sales. It wasn't until Skyrim that they starting not discounting the DLC.

I bought Dishonored on sale last summer or winter I think. I believe it was even called the complete edition or something similar. Then shortly after they announce another DLC. I was going to play it, but after the new DLC announcement, I put the game on my wait list. Each time it went on sale I passed on buying the DLC. I finally caved and bought the last DLC this past winter sale because I was wanting to play it. Then after buying it, I still haven't gotten around to playing it.

I still haven't bought Skyrim's DLC. I have one already, and even though it's cheaper to buy the GOTY than buy the two I'm missing, it just feels wrong having to re-buy stuff I already have. I'm in no hurry on that though. Although I've put more than 300 hours into Skyrim, I have yet to finish the main quest. A few times I've gotten the itch to play it. I'll update mods, goof around a bit to make sure it's all good, then never come back to it.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Free Weekend; Pre-Sequel Pre-Purchases
25. Re: Borderlands 2 Free Weekend; Pre-Sequel Pre-Purchases Aug 21, 2014, 09:46 jimnms

Beamer wrote on Aug 20, 2014, 20:14:
Don't late buyers always get more for less? That's the trade off of being a late buyer - you play it long after everyone else, and when the community is gone and people may no longer be talking about the game, but you get it cheaper.

No, they typically get the same for less. I supported the game at release by buying it (almost) full price with the season pass. The GOTY includes everything from the season pass and more.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Free Weekend; Pre-Sequel Pre-Purchases
15. Re: Borderlands 2 Free Weekend; Pre-Sequel Pre-Purchases Aug 20, 2014, 20:02 jimnms

I think I pre-ordered BL2 and the season pass for less from GMG. I'm a bit pissed that after pre-ordering BL2 and its season pass, late buyers paid less and got more from buying the GOTY. Although I think the only thing I'm missing from the GOTY is the that psycho character that I probably won't play and some cosmetic crap I don't care about, but one is an extra mission thing that I might pick up during the sale.

I'm going to pass on this pre-sequel until the money grab DLC is finished and pick up the complete edition on sale. Maybe by then I'll have gone back and finished BL2.

MeanJim on Steam

2175 Comments. 109 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo