Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2225 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
31. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 19, 2014, 18:47 jimnms

Blue wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 09:50:
It was a 2003 Accord, and had a theoretical trade in value of $6K, but replacing the transmission would cost over $3K, so it was time to walk.

That sounds kind of high for a transmission replacement. Most transmissions for cars that old are rebuilt/overhauled and shouldn't cost more than $1000. You don't usually pay full price since you trade-in on your old trans for the rebuilt one, since they rebuild your old one and resell it. My sister had her trans replaced several years ago, and I think total cost of trans and labor was under $1500, and I'm pretty sure I remember the trans came with new axles. She drove that car for a few more years before trading it in on a new car.

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Op Ed Nov 18, 2014, 23:21 jimnms

LibertyOrDeath wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 21:52:
I hope voting against the Constitution will change once the new congress is sworn in, but we will see.

Do you really thing things will change?
A roll call of votes shows that 41 of the 42 votes against the bill were cast by Republicans, with only four senators from that party voting to move the bill forward.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: GTA 5 PC's expanded soundtrack revealedů Nov 18, 2014, 11:30 jimnms

nin wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 10:36:
I was going to post something similar, but on second thought, they could always just release a patch basically says "ignore these tracks", so that they're skipped.

With "next gen" consoles auto patching like Steam, they certainly can remove tracks. It was a dickish thing to do to GTA: SA considering they removed tracks from Vice City after a similar license problem, except if you bought VC before the license BS, your digital copy still has the tracks. I bought the GTA Complete pack when it was GTA 1-3, VC and SA, and my copy of VC is complete. Luckily I still have my original (hot coffeeable) disk of SA, although I doubt I'll play SA again. I started to play the Steam version of SA once since it had some updates the original version never got, but I stopped playing it because something wasn't right about it. I don't know what it was about it though.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > etc.
2. GTA 5 PC's expanded soundtrack revealedů Nov 18, 2014, 09:48 jimnms

It will just be unexpanded in a few years when they lose the license to the music and rip it out of your digital copy.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 17, 2014, 18:02 jimnms

nutshell42 wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 14:56:
I know Linux has had them at least since '94 because I thought they were the shit back then (fvwm2).

The only reason MS decided to implement this feature is to throw a bone to hardcore users. This will be a support nightmare, I know at least 3 relatives that won't understand them, ever.

Yeah I remember using virtual desktops long before KDE. Hell there was even a free program I used on Windows 95 to give me virtual desktops like I had in Linux.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. Nov 17, 2014, 00:10 jimnms

I was just thinking about Deus Ex the other day. It has me wanting to replay the first two and do another play of HR, but I've got so many new games sitting unplayed. I know people love to hate the second one, but IMO it doesn't deserve all of that. It wasn't that bad after a few patches and tweaks to clean up the interface.

The first DX was great, up until the end. The endings were all accessible during the last mission and it was basically going into a different room and pushing different buttons to get the other endings. I thought that was kind of crappy and left no replay value (although I've played it at least 4 times). I still wish you would have to chose your side earlier in the game.

The second, although all endings were still accessible during the last mission, it was a bit different depending on which side you helped most during the game. The other sides would be hostile making changing your mind to get the other endings more difficult than just pushing a different button.

DX:HR was a decent try at rebooting the franchise. It did have the Deus Ex feel to it, but even though it's a prequel, it did feel more powerful than the previous titles. It does have its flaws though. I thought the beginning was a little stupid. You're called in to handle a hostage situation, and you're given the option of what weapon to take. Regardless of what you pick, you barely get any ammo for it and have to scavenge what you can during the mission. You also don't seem to get paid. Any money you make in the game is through stealing and selling things you loot from people. Once again, they failed on the endings. This time it was even cheaper than the first. It literally is a room with 4 buttons to push for the different endings, but at least it makes more sense since you're just choosing which message to broadcast to the world or to blow up the building.

I wonder if we'll ever see another Deus Ex game? He'll I'd be down for an remake of the first one in a modern engine. It probably would sell well with the generation ADD kids though.

MeanJim on Steam

17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 14, 2014, 14:44 jimnms

I have an idea, don't cap the frame rate at all. I can tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps. I may not be able to tell the difference between 50fps and 60fps or 60fps and 100fps, but if my machine can push it that far, let me. I don't keep a frame rate counter on my screen and obsess over it either.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
20. Walmart to price-match Amazon and other online retailers Nov 14, 2014, 14:12 jimnms

I shop at Amazon so I don't have to go to Walmart. How are they going to compete with that?  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
19. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 14, 2014, 14:10 jimnms

Prez wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 12:33:
Doesn't licensing eat up all of that money? I think that streaming music is a great way for fans to find new bands and artists - I spend a lot of time shopping for mp3's and in a great many user reviews that I read a recurring theme is "I heard this band on Rhapsody/Pandora/Spotify/etc and came here immediately to buy the album..." It's hard to put a dollar value on that. Granted Taylor Swift doesn't need that kind of exposure, so it holds little value for her, but for hard rock and metal bands that get virtually no radio play it is great exposure. I found my new favorite metal band, Allegaeon that way. Most exciting metal band in years.

That's how I use Pandora/Spotify. I like how you can plug in artist you like and it will play random tracks from things you already like, like a personal radio station, and mix in similar artists. I've found lots of new music that I never would have found any other way. I still purchase digital albums so I can put them on my music player to listen to in the car, gym, etc.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Star Citizen 8GB Requirement Won't Change "Any Time Soon"; DX10 Support Unlikely
27. Re: Star Citizen 8GB Requirement Won't Change Nov 14, 2014, 13:54 jimnms

Anyone here that doesn't already have 8GB of RAM in your gaming system, raise your hand...  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > etc.
34. Re: etc. Nov 12, 2014, 04:55 jimnms

nin wrote on Nov 11, 2014, 08:59:
And when he specifically asked for multiple examples in games that had a negative message towards gender, she basically spun her wheels, blurted out "grand theft auto" (aka media whipping boy) and then ignored his question and went on with her prepared statement.

She looked rather ill informed (as always).

I heard he asked her even more tough questions she couldn't answer, but they cut them out of the show. He supposedly asked her why she thought games caused misogyny when it's be proven that they don't cause violence.

MeanJim on Steam

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 12, 2014, 04:39 jimnms

I haven't played any of the Dragon Age games. I've never been a big fan of action RPG types, but it does have the pause/tactical view like the old Infinity Engine games. I've heard so many good things about it, I almost picked up Origins during the past few Steam sales, but ended up passing. I did grab it while it was free on Origin though.

One of the earlier videos of Inquisition made the game look interesting, but still something I'd pick up later on sale if/when I ever get around to playing DA:O. Then I saw some game play footage a day or so ago and the combat animations are goofy. It looks more like dancing than fighting. The mages twirl their staff around, turn their back and shoot spells and shit over their shoulder, and the fighters do all this stupid looking jumping, spinning moves. I hope those are placeholder animations, because honestly don't think I could play it if I had to watch that.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > DCS Su-27 Trailer
12. Re: DCS Su-27 Trailer Nov 12, 2014, 04:22 jimnms

Now that the MiG-21 is out, I really want to see a MiG-23 and MiG-27. I've always had a fascination with Russian military aircraft since I was a kid.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > On Sale
7. Re: On Sale Nov 12, 2014, 03:56 jimnms

Elf Shot The Food wrote on Nov 11, 2014, 20:36:
I was just about to buy Rogue Legacy on Humble Bundle at 75% off, but I believe I'll go for the higher discount on Steam instead.

I think it would be worth the extra 75 cents to buy from the Humble Store since they donate to charity and you get it both on Steam and DRM free.

I nabbed the HJB3 too, I'll throw out the link to my extra copies tomorrow after I make sure a friend of mine gets one first.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
3. Re: Sunday Mobilization Nov 9, 2014, 14:28 jimnms

What the hell are you two talking about?  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Saturday Patches
18. Re: Saturday Patches Nov 8, 2014, 21:28 jimnms

Redmask wrote on Nov 8, 2014, 20:45:
That is true nin, its the same option with different wording. Previously if you went offline before the update landed you could keep playing but otherwise you have to update when it runs or just cancel. Some games you can run directly through their executable files but they're few and far between these days.

Yes, they just reworded it to make it more clear. Way back when I started using Steam, I had a 256k connection, so I set every game to the do not automatically update option All it did was stop it from automatically updating when idle. It would still check for an update at launch though.

You can get around auto updates though. After installing it, move or copy it out of the SteamApps directory. You can still run it from the .exe or make a shortcut. If the game has Steam's DRM, Steam still has to be running, and it will still have the overlay and other Steam features.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Saturday Patches
4. Re: Saturday Patches Nov 8, 2014, 13:59 jimnms

NKD wrote on Nov 8, 2014, 13:19:
There's a user patch linked in there that fixes some of the stuff Rockstar broke in this patch. Of course those songs are permanently gone

I saw Steam trying to update it this morning and paused it to check out the forums to see what was up before I let it continue. If you have a backup of your old game files, you can copy the audio files back and get your missing radio stations. There is a post in the Steam forums telling you which files you need to restore. I saw the post linked above already this morning, but the fix linked in it is for GTA III and VC.

I bought the GTA Complete pack way back when it included GTA 1 through SA, and forgot I had it installed. I still have the original disk version of SA which I've played to 100% three times, so I doubt I'll play it again with GTA V around the corner.

This doesn't seem legal, and lots of people in forums are pointing to laws in their country claiming that it isn't. If I bought a car that came with a 200hp engine, then later that year they had a dispute with the engine manufacturer and switched to a 150hp engine for the same year and model car, I already bought the car with the 200hp engine, they can't come to my house and swap it for the 150hp one. There was similar issue with GTA: VC, but they only pulled the songs from new purchases after the license dispute.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Free Metro 2033 from Humble Store
6. Re: Free Metro 2033 from Humble Store Nov 7, 2014, 22:49 jimnms

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 21:37:
My biggest gripe was actually shooting off a ton of the expensive ammo by accident in the middle of a fight, ugh instant game-reload.

Yup, I did that too, but I didn't notice until I made it to the next settlement and realized I didn't have any "money." Re-loading would have meant an hour or more of replaying, so I trucked on. They really should have had a separate key to reload your expensive rounds rather than holding the reload key .5 seconds longer.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Nov 6, 2014, 02:53 jimnms

For Linden Lab, this deal is a matter of focusing on its top priority: developing new virtual worlds while maintaining and evolving existing products like Second Life.

People still "play" Second Life? I got on it twice. The first time I stayed on for several hours exploring stuff. There was a lot of stuff to do, but after that first time I never went back. Then one day a year or longer later, I was cleaning my system and saw I still had it installed. I let it update and logged in. Once again it sucked me in for a few hours. I found myself in some kind of virtual dance club. They had some kind of streaming music thing going on, people were chatting and it was kind of neat. Then I got invited to the "VIP" area in the basement, and well, things got a bit weird. I logged off, uninstalled it and never went back. Quiver

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2014, 15:02 jimnms

Prez wrote on Nov 5, 2014, 12:50:
We need someone good to blow up the Capitol building with every member of Congress inside!!!

If anyone wonders why Prez disappears for a while, he'll probably be in an NSA interrogation room for a few days.

MeanJim on Steam

2225 Comments. 112 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo