Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2366 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
2. Pirate Bay Loses New Domain Name, Hydra Lives On May 23, 2015, 12:01 jimnms

Are they just being targeted because of their name? They aren't the only torrent site out there that have pirated material.  

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Overwatch Trailer
5. Re: Overwatch Trailer May 22, 2015, 12:38 jimnms

Task wrote on May 22, 2015, 10:05:
Has Blizzard decided on how this game will be priced - premium or f2p? If its a premium one shot payment of 30-50, then I might give it a shot. F2P, nada.

It's going to be F2P with purchasable hats.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Desura Explains Missed Payments
7. Re: Desura Explains Missed Payments May 22, 2015, 12:01 jimnms

Axis wrote on May 22, 2015, 09:32:
Desura was one of those clients you never installed. For YEARS it never worked right with game installs among other annoyances, and bugs just ran rampant. It was immensely less annoying just downloading the games from their site.

Having said that I always had hoped it would take off for the indie devs - but now that Steam is full-on indie, Desura completely missed it's chance.

I actually never had a problem with their client until they the new company took over. They threw out a quick patch to changed the logo and broke something in the process. I just tried downloading and installing it and it still isn't fixed. You can't log in at all, it gives SSL errors, even using the alt-SSL mode that they added that was supposed to fix that.

I bought a couple of games from them a long time ago before Steam had Early Access. I think both of those I have since been given Steam keys for, so I haven't needed to use the Desura client. And at least for now Desura still provides stand-alone downloads for game installers, so the client isn't needed.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Op Ed
25. Re: Op Ed May 21, 2015, 14:51 jimnms

Verno wrote on May 21, 2015, 10:05:
GOG is cool but Galaxy is way too barebones to use as a primary source of games IMO.

It is still beta, but it does need a lot of improvement. I've only tried it on a few older games on it. Since I already have most of my GOG games backed up on external disks, I installed them from the downloaded installers and imported them. For some odd reason the Galaxy client replaces the game's .exe, so mods that patch or look for the original game.exe don't work. One of the games didn't work at all through after importing it to the Galaxy client, but it worked fine before importing it.

I hope they keep their word and make it optional. Since they're retiring the old GOG downloader, I wish they would add an option to download the game installer through the Galaxy client. I thought I read somewhere that there was an option to keep the installers after installing a game from the Galaxy client, but like I said, I haven't tried installing one yet from the Galaxy client.

Edit: Well damn, I fired up the Galaxy client after posting. It downloaded an update, and my wish came true. There is now an option to download the game, but the extras still must be downloaded one at a time unlike having the option to download them all with the old GOG downloader.

This comment was edited on May 21, 2015, 14:59.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Op Ed
20. Re: Op Ed May 21, 2015, 07:36 jimnms

Frags4Fun wrote on May 20, 2015, 20:06:
Do they really not allow us to disable auto-updates? Is this true for all games? What about my modded Skyrim? I haven't been on PC much over the past 6 months so please excuse my ignorance on this.

Steam never, ever, did let you disable updates. The option used to be called do not update this game, but it only disabled auto updating in the background. If a game was patched, the next time you launched it, it would get patched. They finally changed the wording of the options to make it clear.

There is a way to keep Steam from updating a game though. You have to move it out of the SteamApps directory. You won't be able to run it from the Steam client, you'll have to run it from the game's .exe or a shortcut. If it's a Steamworks game, it will still require Steam to be running and if it's not running it will launch it. Steam will still recognize the game launch, provide the overlay, achievements, etc. just as usual, only now it can't patch it.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Game Reviews
3. Re: Game Reviews May 16, 2015, 19:00 jimnms

MacLeod wrote on May 16, 2015, 15:29:
purchased Kerbal the other day... went through the first tutorial okay. Got to the second tutorial (launch), and when I got to orbit, it told me to bring my map up to plot a path or some such. My map is completely blank except for starfield. Apparently this is a known bug. Then I read, while looking that up, that if I wanted to play the campaign, I'd have to run the 32-bit version, because it doesn't work in the 64-bit executable. Quit the game and never went back.

I don't know what you read, but it must have been old and out of date because there is no 64-bit KSP. They added a 64-bit test build back in the alpha but removed it shortly after it went Beta. Even then the "campaign" was playable in 64-bit.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
12. Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 13, 2015, 02:35 jimnms

Yes, but they were spying on them when they weren't in school, which is what this company is doing to its employees.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
4. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup May 13, 2015, 02:05 jimnms

Cutter wrote on May 12, 2015, 22:41:
I remember the original Castlevania on SNES. That was good times. I'm not into what he's making with that but obviously a lot of people are. Wow! That must feel good getting walloped with money like that out of the gate.

The original Castlevania was on NES not SNES. I had it back then, and even though I sunk quite a few hours into it, I never stuck with it long enough to finish it.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
10. Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 13, 2015, 00:48 jimnms

Cutter wrote on May 12, 2015, 12:37:
Hope she wins her lawsuit in spades!

I'd be surprised if she lost. This is basically the same crap that schools were sued for with student issued laptops.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > More Fallout 4 Speculation
26. Re: More Fallout 4 Speculation May 12, 2015, 03:27 jimnms

Lorcin wrote on May 11, 2015, 19:31:
NV played more - in text adventure style: "You wake up with amnesia", Go outside, "The locals have errands for you", Go south, "You meet some army style people who don't kill you but have some errands for you", Go NE, "You meet army style people who do try to kill you".

What makes you think your character in Fallout New Vegas has amnesia? You do not have amnesia in FNV. Re-watch the intro, it is not stated or implied that your character has amnesia. All it says is you are a courier hired by the Mojave Express to deliver a package to New Vegas.

I don't like it when an RPG forces you into a character with a detailed back story. I prefer to make up my own, but I don't mind a little bit. Fallout 3 was OK, except for always being a 19 year old kid.

As for main story, I prefer the way FNV did it. It slowly unravels rather than being slapped in your face right at the beginning, and if you think the main plot is finding who shot you, then you really didn't play very far or pay attention at the beginning because you know from the start the name of the guy that shot you.

I liked Fallout 3, I thought it was a good story set in the Fallout world (although obviously written by people had limited experience playing the first two games). Fallout 3's main quest was linear with no choices to make, as were its side quests. Never are you given the option to pick sides between the BOS and Enclave, where in FNV you have four factions to side with and many minor factions that have some part in things.

For me, Fallout 3's main quest felt like I was constantly having to rush. If you play as a character that cares for your father that is. The first time I played it, I didn't feel like I had time to go off exploring. Not only was the main story choiceless and linear, the path of the locations for the main quest lead you down a linear corridor that ran diagonally across the middle of the map.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs May 11, 2015, 20:07 jimnms

jdreyer wrote on May 11, 2015, 19:22:
FCC shoots down petitions to delay open internet rules.

I'm still surprised when the government continues to come down on the side of an open internet. Yes, there are powerful companies advocating for it (Google, MS, Apple, etc.) but there are also powerful companies against it (Comcast, TWC, Verizon, AT&T, etc.). Given that the average person benefits, it's working out well.

Don't be too surprised. While the FCC is seemingly on "our" side battling with the cable giants, on the other side Congress is trying to pass new legislation called TPP, which is like SOPA on steroids. The senate votes on this tomorrow.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > More Fallout 4 Speculation
9. Re: More Fallout 4 Speculation May 11, 2015, 11:15 jimnms

I'm just worried Fallout 4 will be Skyrim with guns.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2015, 11:12 jimnms

Wallshadows wrote on May 10, 2015, 13:44:
I don't, just the base game like some kind of savage.

The base game was pretty bland. It really took off with the G&K expansion, and with BNW it's a whole new game. You don't really need G&K if you get BNW, but you'll miss a few civs without it.

This comment was edited on May 11, 2015, 16:50.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue May 10, 2015, 00:02 jimnms

Wallshadows wrote on May 9, 2015, 20:31:
After being gifted vanilla Civilization V about a year ago, I finally gave it a shot. It's okay but I don't understand the hype around it as there's just some kind of emptiness about it and I eventually became bored whereas Rome Total War always kept me engaged.

Do you have BNW?

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Wasteland 2 GotY Free Upgrade
23. Re: Wasteland 2 GotY Free Upgrade May 7, 2015, 21:49 jimnms

Overon wrote on May 7, 2015, 18:46:
Will current save games work or will you have to start from the beginning after patching?

I'm placing my bet on this being a new, separate game from the old one.

I need to go back and finish my first game. I stopped in Hollywood right before going to the Observatory to see the Mad Monks. I found the hidden entrance, but I'm wondering if I'm supposed to be able to enter this way. I went in and it seemed odd that no one was hostile at seeing a bunch of Desert Rangers appear in their sacred place, and even welcomed me. The dialog with the people was odd because I was able to ask about things I didn't know or discover yet, which I probably would have learned about had I gone in the front.

I'm wondering if that hidden entrance is bugged and is supposed to be a quick exit back to Hollywood and I'm supposed to go through the front. I decided to load an old save right before going through the hidden entrance and go in through the front. I had been playing the game every day for several weeks, and I think I already kind of burned myself out, and this little backtrack was the final push that caused me to stop for a bit.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > GOG Galaxy Beta
10. Re: GOG Galaxy Beta May 5, 2015, 22:16 jimnms

Squirmer wrote on May 5, 2015, 21:25:
This seems like a necessary thing as GOG expands its catalog and sells bigger games. Downloading 20-30 gigs of Witcher 3 would be a pain without a decent client.

You can use the GOG downloader which can pause and resume, and lets you do things like grab all of the bonus content in one go instead of one at a time through your browser.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
1. Mozilla Moving Toward Full HTTPS Enforcement in Firefox May 5, 2015, 21:00 jimnms

I'm all for moving to full encryption, but this is going to break a lot of shit. I already use the HTTPS Everywhere addon, but it breaks a lot of sites. Anytime I have trouble getting a site to work properly, 99.98% of the time if I disable HTTPS Everywhere it fixes it. Steam is messed up with HTTPS Everywhere enabled. It happily lets you browse using HTTPS, but a parts of the site break when you do. On store pages you can't add things to your wish list, and community pages load screenshot thumnails but not the full image when you click on it.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > GeForce Witcher 3 & Arkham Bundles
2. Re: GeForce Witcher 3 & Arkham Bundles May 5, 2015, 20:42 jimnms

I just bought a 970 a few days ago. I'm not into the Batman games, but I could have traded it for something. I redeemed Witcher 3. I haven't played the first two, but I got The Witcher 2 free from GOG and bought the first one for $1.50 on sale, so maybe I'll bump them up on the long list of shit to play.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > GOG Galaxy Beta
5. Re: GOG Galaxy Beta May 5, 2015, 20:19 jimnms

I got an Alpha invite a few days ago, but I haven't tried it yet. I probably won't use it though. I just download the game's installer and extras and back them up to an external HD.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
2. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs May 2, 2015, 15:32 jimnms

The “hidden city” ticketing technique involves buying an airline ticket between two cities with a connection, but ditching the rest of the trip. Say you want to fly from Las Vegas to Philadelphia but find a ticket from Vegas to Boston—with a connection in Philadelphia—that's cheaper. You land in Philly and prance out of the airport, retaining the savings.

What about your luggage? Any checked bags will automatically be loaded on the plane to Boston leaving you stuck in Philadelphia without your stuff.

MeanJim on Steam

2366 Comments. 119 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo