Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2192 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > GOG.com Has 100 Linux Titles
9. Re: GOG.com Has 100 Linux Titles Oct 15, 2014, 07:43 jimnms

You could already play any of the Infinity Engine games on Linux with GemRB.  

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Oct 9, 2014, 04:09 jimnms

Cutter wrote on Oct 8, 2014, 21:03:
No chance in hell the FAA will allow this. This thing is just a metric shit ton of lawsuits waiting to happen. Cool concept but it'll never materialize in public.

If you're flying it in uncontrolled airspace (generally below 1200 ft AGL and not withing 5 miles of an airport) and for non-commercial purposes, there's not shit they can do about it.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Out of the Blue
33. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 8, 2014, 00:52 jimnms

I like my Logitech mice. I've found them to be quite durable. I have a G500 on my machine and still have my old G5 on my old system. I have noticed they are very picky about the surface you use them on. They don't like cloth mouse pads.

I used my G5 on the bare desktop for so long that it polished the desk so smooth that the laser wouldn't track anymore. I then bought a large cloth mouse pad, but after a few months it got jumpy, jittery and skipped. I thought the mouse was going out, so I bought the G500. It was doing the same thing on the mouse pad, so I then bought this hard mouse surface and holy shit what a difference it makes. I never used the weights in the mouse, but I had to load it up after getting that mouse pad because it glides across it like ice and needed the weights to keep me from over doing it. There is such low friction on this mouse pad I also had to tie the mouse cord down because with it just hanging off the back of the desk it would pull the mouse up.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Claptrap Trailer
2. Re: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Claptrap Trailer Oct 4, 2014, 04:37 jimnms

I saw a video of four people playing coop, all as Claptrap. It didn't make me want to buy the game.

And I see they still have that shitty ass console UI.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
7. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 2, 2014, 21:54 jimnms

NetHead wrote on Oct 2, 2014, 12:15:
Smallest and fastest PDF reader I've ever found.

http://blog.kowalczyk.info/software/sumatrapdf/free-pdf-reader.html

I ditched Foxit years ago for Sumatra when I noticed Foxit piling on the bloat each release. Now if I could get them to stop emailing me when they release a new version. I must have accidentally given my email once when downloading it. The email just contains a title "New version of Foxit available" or something like that, but there is no body text. It comes from a noreply@something type address, and I can't find an unsubscribe link on their page.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Windows 9? Oct 2, 2014, 21:45 jimnms

I'm a bit behind on the news. I've briefly scanned some articles, but have tabs open going back over a week of stuff I want to go back and read. Wasn't it announced a few days ago that Windows 9 might be a free upgrade to Windows 8? Then a few days ago I swear I saw an article about the next version of Windows will be Windows 10 and that they will be skipping Windows 9. Did I dream that or get something mixed up while skimming articles?

I really wish they would bring back the Aero theme. I hate the dull, flat look of things in Windows 8, it reminds me of Windows 3.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
12. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 30, 2014, 22:53 jimnms

How did you do that? asked someone else. I used my hands, I said. I think its kinda cool they make it so it bends, another said.

Ucrazy

MeanJim on Steam

17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 29, 2014, 19:22 jimnms

Creston wrote on Sep 29, 2014, 11:52:
Wow, free upgrade to Windows 9? What happened to Microsoft? It's almost as if they've started caring just a little bit about their customers...

Nothing new, they offered free Windows 7 upgrades to Windows Vista users.

MeanJim on Steam

18. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 25, 2014, 21:22 jimnms

ForgedReality wrote on Sep 25, 2014, 18:09:
I also always try to buy "Enterprise" class drives whenever possible. Highest tier I can get my hands on, not the budget models, for sure. Data integrity is a pretty damned important aspect of any system, and there's no reason to skimp in that regard.

Didn't read very far into the article did you?
All the drives are "consumer grade" rather than "enterprise" drives, because enterprise drives are more than twice the price. Backblaze says: "Even if there were no warranty, a 15 percent annual failure rate on the consumer 'desktop' drive and a 0 percent failure rate on the 'enterprise' drive, the breakeven would be 10 years, which is longer than we expect to even run the drives for."

MeanJim on Steam

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 25, 2014, 17:07 jimnms

nin wrote on Sep 25, 2014, 15:45:
jimnms wrote on Sep 25, 2014, 15:01:
I hope I'm not about to jinx myself, but I haven't had a HD failure in a long ass time, with either WD or Seagate. Although, the last Seagate drive I bought was a 400GB drive about 10 years ago, it is still working and in use.

It's all relative. Everyone has a HD horror story, each from a different brand...

Oh I've had my fair share of failures from both brands, it has just been a long time. Thankfully I'm a bit anal about backing important stuff up and I've never lost anything due to a HD failure. I just remember either me or friends having drives dropping left and right back in the mid 90's to early 00's, but in the past 10 or so years, not so much.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > New NVIDIA Drivers
8. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Sep 25, 2014, 17:00 jimnms

Quboid wrote on Sep 25, 2014, 15:58:
No. "This graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware. [Close]"

Thanks, you saved me a bit of time. I was going to try it tonight since I never got around to installing 344.11.

MeanJim on Steam

5. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Sep 25, 2014, 15:09 jimnms

C I Systems wrote on Sep 25, 2014, 14:44:
These drivers are for 900 series cards only. They wont even show up for you for anything else.
I bet they'll still work on other cards, the size is about the same size as the 344.11. I've never bothered to select my specific card, I just go with the newest card listed (which is usually selected by default) and download the latest WHQL driver.

MeanJim on Steam

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 25, 2014, 15:01 jimnms

I hope I'm not about to jinx myself, but I haven't had a HD failure in a long ass time, with either WD or Seagate. Although, the last Seagate drive I bought was a 400GB drive about 10 years ago, it is still working and in use.

I had a 2TB WD Green give me a scare a couple of years ago. At the time it was the biggest drive I owned. It had been powered on and in use for over 5 years. It was practically full, and I was worried because I had no way to backup the stuff on it if it got worse. It turned out to be just an NTFS file system error, which I was able to fix, but the SMART log showed a few reallocated sectors so I replaced it anyway. After replacing it, I ran the WD diagnostic tools which put the sectors marked bad back in use, then did a full scan and found no errors. I'm still hesitant to use the drive for anything due to it's power on time though.

MeanJim on Steam

1. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Sep 25, 2014, 14:35 jimnms

Two WHQL driver releases from NVIDIA within a week?  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steam Music Leaves Beta
2. Re: Steam Music Leaves Beta Sep 24, 2014, 21:35 jimnms

It still lacks essential features like loading playlists you've already created with other music players/managers.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Earns $1.5M
34. Re: Wasteland 2 Earns $1.5M Sep 24, 2014, 14:31 jimnms

harlock wrote on Sep 24, 2014, 12:58:
Optional Nickname! wrote on Sep 24, 2014, 12:09:
I'm unimpressed with the Unity engine and probably never will be. It's inferior for the PC.

Unity is garbage yeh. and performance is abysmal, considering the level of graphics on display..

That's like saying the internal combustion engine is garbage after driving a Ford Festiva.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Released
31. Re: Wasteland 2 Released Sep 20, 2014, 06:07 jimnms

I glanced at the Steam page the day before launch and the reviews were about 60% positive, now it's jumped up to 94% overnight.  

MeanJim on Steam

PC Gaming > Post your FPS config - old school
19. No subject Sep 19, 2014, 14:59 jimnms

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 19, 2014, 03:02:
F = Jump
V = crouch

? What do you do with games that give you a distinct advantage when you crouch+jump? Gives you a 6inch to 1 foot increase in jump when you crouch AND jump......a weird deal in some games, but gets you to places you would NOT be able to with your setup..... ie: Counter Strike games. To get on boxes you MUST crouch then jump. They are used together, not one after the other.

I haven't played CS in a long time, but it's easy. I move my index finger to V and middle finger F, it's just a quick roll of the fingers to crouch-jump, then move them back. It takes only a split second.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Train Simulator 2015 on Steam
3. Re: Train Simulator 2015 on Steam Sep 19, 2014, 14:44 jimnms

Out of 2000+ reviews, 98% are negative reviews!  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut Released
7. Re: Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut Released Sep 19, 2014, 01:46 jimnms

I picked up Shadowrun during this past Steam sale, but didn't grab the DLC. I see this replaces the DLC as a stand alone title, so it will probably be a while before it goes on sale. I can wait though, WL2 comes out tomorrow and I haven't even started D:OS even though I played it in Early Access. I'm probably going to start D:OS soon and give WL2 a couple of months to mature before I go into it.  

MeanJim on Steam

2192 Comments. 110 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo