Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2332 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Maxed Settings Video
46. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Maxed Settings Video Apr 20, 2015, 23:08 jimnms

I discovered what was causing my random stuttering. It only occurs when I have it on Self Radio, but it doesn't do it with every song. It seems to be a common problem judging by the results of Googling "GTA 5 Self Radio Stutter." This blows because I don't like any of the built in radio stations. Some of them have a few decent songs mixed in with a lot of crap.  

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Maxed Settings Video
31. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Maxed Settings Video Apr 20, 2015, 14:28 jimnms

My old first gen i5 750 and GTX 660 run it OK with most settings on high and some on normal. My frame rate during the day is fine, but at night it drops and gets a little stutter to it. Which is odd because that contradicts some of the articles I've read about tweaking the graphics that say performance at night should be better because the game reduces the detail distance at night. Certain weather conditions at dawn/dusk also cause the frame rate to drop too.

I overclocked the CPU to 3.8GHz and it smoothed out, but I still get some seemingly random frame drops every now and then. I think the game might have a memory leak because it only seems to crop up after I've been playing a while.

I've noticed the game never seems to use more than 90% of my CPU, when it was running stock @ 2.66GHz and now overclocked to 3.8GHz. The same goes for the GPU, it only uses 80-90%. I have 12GB of RAM, but it seems like the game only uses about 8GB.

Before committing to a full upgrade I thought I would go ahead and order a new GPU first. I was about to pull the trigger on a GTX 970 last night, but the upgrade gods had a different plan. I was looking at one of the higher overclocked models on Newegg that was $389 marked down to $359 with a coupon code, and Amazon had another one that was only 50GHz slower on sale from $349 to $315. I finally decided to order the cheaper on on Amazon, but then a freak wind storm came out of nowhere and knocked the power out. I have a UPS that gives me 30-40 minutes on battery, but the cable went down with the power.

It was close to bedtime anyway, so I just went to bed. I got up this morning and went straight to the computer to order the GPU, but the one on Amazon was sold out. I went to order the other one from NewEgg, but that deal expired. Furious2

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Steam Records
44. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Steam Records Apr 16, 2015, 19:33 jimnms

descender wrote on Apr 16, 2015, 14:44:
I'm not liking it as much as GTA IV's story

Well, that scares the shit out of me because the story in GTA4 was fucking atrocious. Hey I want money, let's murder people because that's the only skill I have! Fucking awful. Was there more to it and I just missed it? I don't think so. "Hey I just dropped off this crackwhore, let's give her a few bucks... nah... let's give her $1500!". GTA4 was pretty fuckin bad.

Yeah, you missed the entire plot. Niko's cousin lied about how awesome it is in America and his mansion and big business. Niko finally comes to live with him after getting in trouble, but finds out his lying sack of shit cousin has a gambling problem and owes a lot of money to a lot of bad people, and he gets sucked into doing bad shit to pay off his cousin's debt. Then the people Niko was running from catch up with him, and eventually they decide to kill everyone because it's the only way out.

GTA V opens up with you playing Michael and Trevor during a bank robbery from before the events of GTA V. Things go bad, then it moves to present time with a cut scene of Michael whining to his therapist about his wife and kids and how bored he is now that he retired from robbing banks. Then when you get control, you're playing Franklin who eventually meets Michael. I assume they'll run into Trevor soon and start robbing banks again, but I haven't gotten that far.

The stories of GTA games have never been that great anyway, and GTA IV did have a darker more serious plot compared to the previous ones, which I liked. It looks like GTA V is going back to goofy plots, which is OK, because in the end, that's all it's about is killing people and committing crimes to get rich.

MeanJim on Steam

43. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Steam Records Apr 16, 2015, 19:17 jimnms

4D-Boxing wrote on Apr 16, 2015, 14:48:
@jimnms

I'm only considering this title because of the first person view. Last 3rd person perspective game i've touched/enjoyed was Max Payne 2 lol.

Are you experiencing the mouse/input lag issue? I was going to buy the game after work but i'll probably hold back since most reviews and youtube vids are in 3rd person. Last but not least, I've read reviews that mention the multiplayer modes but, I have read anything regarding how games are accessed. Is there a server browser?

It's not mouse lag, but it's kind of a laggy feeling. It seems like the first person view just moves the camera inside the character's head. It does have iron sights in first person view though. When you turn to look left/right, and the character's head reaches it's turn limit, there's a stuttery, laggy type feeling as he has to rotate his body around before his head can turn more.

There is another thing about it that bothers me in first person view. When you're in first person and you aim the weapon, it zooms in a little and bringing up the iron sights zooms in a little more, but the mouse sensitivity stays the same, which makes it kind of hard aiming. It does it in 3rd person too, but not quite as bad. I'm pretty sure GTA IV decreased the sensitivity when you zoomed/aimed.

MeanJim on Steam

13. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Steam Records Apr 16, 2015, 13:36 jimnms

I finally got it working yesterday, although after I did I had been up for 22 hours straight, so I went to bed. I played it last night up to a little while after you unlock the 2nd character, then went online.

I gotta say, as for the story mode, so far I'm not liking it as much as GTA IV's story. Does it get better? I'm also not liking the character switching thing. I'd rather load up my game or switch to a character and have him in his house rather than doing some random shit somewhere.

I don't use the defaults keys, and rebinding keys are a little weird. I tried setting it up like I have GTA IV's keys, but there are some retarded restrictions. Sometimes it will let you bind the same key to different functions, like binding E to something in driving and walking, but sometimes it won't even when there is no possible way they will ever conflict. I can't remember which ones they were at the moment, but I remember one or more were submarine keys. I think it wouldn't let me bind a key I set for descend under submarine options to anything else.

Why is there is no crouch? As I went through binding keys, I didn't notice it. Then when I got to the first mission where you get into a gun fight, I was in first person mode and tried to crouch behind a wall and it didn't work.

I don't like 3rd person games, so I was excited about the first person view, but it's awkward. I couldn't tell you what's wrong, something just isn't right with it. It's nice to switch to it while I'm exploring or goofing off, but I find myself having to go back to 3rd person for missions.

The car handling is weird too. GTA IV's cars felt realistic, but GTA V feels more arcade like. You can see it too when driving from 3rd person. Rotate the camera so it's looking straight down, then drive and make slow, sharp turns. The car doesn't pivot where it should. Also, sometimes when sitting still in a car, the car will bounce and/or slide slowly.

Despite all my complaints, this is the best GTA yet. I love how it remembers where you leave cars. My biggest complaint about previous GTA games was you would lose your cars too easy. It was sort of pointless to collect cars because if you took them on a mission, you lose it, or if you were just driving around goofing off and got out and walked too far it would disappear.

I played GTA Online for a few hours, and there is clearly some cheating going on. I saw it during the tutorial part where it makes you play a LTS match. I don't know if everyone gets the same mission, but for me it was pistols only. On the first round, one guy was sniping people blocks away with the pistol. On the second round we got in close, and the same guy was one-shotting everyone. I got the drop on him as he came around a corner and I know I put 3 bullets in him, but he still killed me in one shot.

Is there a manual? I searched, but didn't find one. The tips that pop up in the top left are sometimes useless because they tend to pop up when you're too busy to read them. I was trying to figure out how to find and play with other members of the Blue's Crew, but I couldn't do it. I found what looked like an option to put you on a server with members of your crew, but after it switched me to another server I didn't see any Blue's Crew there. I think I've finished the tutorial part. It said I was free to do missions either by going to them on the map, accepting them on the phone or using the random mission thing from the phone. I did a few of those, but I've got this million bucks from the pre-order and I can't find out how to buy a house or cars or the other things I've seen advertised for GTA Online.

Oh, and is there a way to change your character's appearance in GTA Online without creating a new one? It looks different than what I setup. The skin tone and hair look different, probably due to the lighting in the character creator being different from the real world. I swear I also had a beard, but I don't have it now.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Ship Ahoy - PC Grand Theft Auto V
64. Re: Ship Ahoy - PC Grand Theft Auto V Apr 14, 2015, 21:14 jimnms

Dacron wrote on Apr 14, 2015, 12:45:
jimnms wrote on Apr 14, 2015, 12:31:
I can't even start the game. I don't have special characters in my name, and I've tried all the "fixes" except the one where you download a different launcher from some shady Chinese Google drive knockoff site. I bought it from GMG and they won't give refunds after they send you the key. People with non Steam versions and Steam versions are having the same error.

Did you try this? I tried everything (uninstalling anti virus, driver roll backs, interbet fixes) but this did it for me (thanks siapnar)

It bvasically confirms the files you have are good, and lets you redownload ones with errors.

I did that already. Rockstar support finally replied to my support ticket with a copy and paste of this shit. I can't uninstall the Rockstar Social Club, it tells me I have to uninstall ALL Rockstar games first, which means uninstalling GTA IV, EFLC AND GTA V. Fuck that, I just ran the downloaded manual installer for the Social Club. The downloaded version was slightly newer, and the installer seemed to uninstall the old one too. I don't think that has anything to do with it because I'm not even getting to the part where the Social Club launches, it's the damn GTAV Launcher crashing.

It seems like a GPU conflict since a lot of people on notebooks and desktops with onboard graphics and a GPU are having success by disabling the GPU. Starting the game with the GPU disabled seems to let the launcher run without crashing, then enabling the GPU after that lets them run the game. I have a desktop and only the GPU, so that won't work for me.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Ship Ahoy - PC Grand Theft Auto V
23. Re: Ship Ahoy - PC Grand Theft Auto V Apr 14, 2015, 12:31 jimnms

I can't even start the game. I don't have special characters in my name, and I've tried all the "fixes" except the one where you download a different launcher from some shady Chinese Google drive knockoff site. I bought it from GMG and they won't give refunds after they send you the key. People with non Steam versions and Steam versions are having the same error.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V PC Launch Schedule
185. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Launch Schedule Apr 14, 2015, 01:30 jimnms

Dacron wrote on Apr 13, 2015, 19:42:
Damn, old drivers, new drivers, the Rockstar GTA V client has unexpectedly exited. Try safe mode for reduced graphics (doesnt work either) or look for a solution online.

i7 3770, 16mb ram, 660ti 2gb.

You need to upgrade your RAM.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V PC Launch Schedule
112. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Launch Schedule Apr 13, 2015, 19:13 jimnms

Right at 6pm local time it started updating!!! And then I get Grand Theft Auto V Launcher has stopped working. Trying to launch it again just causes the launcher to crash. FUCK YOU ROCKSTAR!  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Steam Preloads
30. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Steam Preloads Apr 9, 2015, 19:05 jimnms

StaticRandomNumber wrote on Apr 9, 2015, 16:16:
I am waiting for post launch where bonus is removed.

If you get all that in-game cash upfront you can go straight from BB gun to mini-gun (I imagine) or Beetle to Porsche, where is the fun in that.

I could always restrain myself, but noticed it with Fallout New Vegas as well where I bought the bundle with all the DLC and on first playthrough, I started out with a grenade launcher and could take on the legion right from the get go.

Maybe just me, but I like the feel of getting that slightly better equipment in increments.

I never activated the pre-order bonus for FNV. For the GOTY or complete, you could just deactivate the DLC that adds those pre-order starting items. By the time I played it again with all the DLC, I used a mod that distributed them to vendors and level lists so you had a rare chance to find NPC's using them instead of you starting with all of it. It did the same for GRA and DLC weapons.

For GTA V SP, Starting with money doesn't seem cheating. Aren't two of the characters ex-bank robbers and one lives in a mansion, so why would you start out with no money.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Steam Preloads
29. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Steam Preloads Apr 9, 2015, 18:57 jimnms

I preloaded overnight from Rockstar (not Steam version). It took right about 8 hours. I just realized the 14th is a Tuesday. Why must games release/unlock on the one day of the week I have to commute 100 miles!  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V 4K System Requirements
30. Re: Grand Theft Auto V 4K System Requirements Apr 9, 2015, 18:47 jimnms

With the recommended specs you can run 1080p @ 60fps with graphics at what settings (low, medium, high, ultra)? I've been thinking of building a new system since November. I have a core i5 750 (2.66GHz), a 660OC and 12GB RAM. If I overclock my CPU to 4GHz and am able to run this on max settings then I don't need to build a new system.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > GTA5 PC Graphics Options Detailed; Game May Span 7 Discs
71. Re: GTA5 PC Graphics Options Detailed; Game May Span 7 Discs Apr 9, 2015, 17:13 jimnms

descender wrote on Apr 9, 2015, 14:24:
refusing to give discounts on things when everyone else is, is getting really annoying

/boggle

Those other services basically HAVE to give launch day discounts or else no one would ever buy games from them. Expecting launch day discounts is just being greedy, and blaming Steam for not having them is just childish. Especially considering the ridiculously deep discounts Steam offers on a regular basis.

Doesn't Steam let publishers controls the prices of their games? There have been pre-order discounts and week-long release discounts (usually 10%) for other games. I would be willing to bet that Rockstar wouldn't discount the Steam version so more people would buy the Rockstar codes from other places since they'll get a bigger chunk, even if it's discounted.

Now that my preload finished verifying, unless the launcher changes when the game unlocks, I don't see any kind of backup and restore or way to verify it like Steam's built in verify game cache and backup utility. I'll have to make a backup of it after it unlocks so I can restore it to an "out of the box" state if I install mods or a file gets corrupted. It would suck to have to spend 8 hours re-downloading 60GB because one little file got corrupt. I'm starting to think it might have been worth it to spend the extra money to get it on Steam. It's probably too late now.

MeanJim on Steam

65. Re: GTA5 PC Graphics Options Detailed; Game May Span 7 Discs Apr 9, 2015, 13:05 jimnms

SpectralMeat wrote on Apr 9, 2015, 08:58:
I know what you mean about having all the games in one place, however about patching I believe GTA5 will be using the Rockstar client to do all that stuff and not Steam.

I read an article a while back that said patching would be done with the Rockstar client even for Steam version, but it won't. When I started preloading last night from the Rockstar launcher, I had to log in to the Social Club website and register the key to my profile. I think it was on that page it had information about patches. It said the game will be be patched through the launcher or you can manually download patches too, but under there it said Steam version will be patched through the Steam client.

My pre-load finished a little while ago and it's still verifying. I kind of hoped it would download an installer that I could backup for re-install later and not have to re-download 60GB. Maybe the Rockstar launcher has a backup/verify feature like Steam.

yuastnav wrote on Apr 9, 2015, 09:17:
There is a Rockstar client?

I was a bit confused since it looks like nuuvem gives you a key for the Rockstar social club and no Steam key, or am I mistaken?

But yeah, 27 on nuuvem vs. 60 on Steam seems almost like a steal.

I'm not aware of any place that sells Steam keys for GTA V. All key retailers are selling keys for the Rockstar client thing. Even if you get it on Steam, you'll have to have use the Rockstar Launcher, just like Ubisoft games still go through Uplay on Steam.

Is Nuuvem a trusted reseller? I've heard of them and hear about people buying from them all the time, but you know what they say about things that seem too good to be true. Buying cheap keys from Brazil seems a little shady to me.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Cinematic
33. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Cinematic Apr 9, 2015, 02:46 jimnms

Task wrote on Apr 8, 2015, 16:46:
Lots of other non-boss fight situations had the same approach; like saving JC Denton's brother (I managed that only by accident, I thought the game was presenting a no win scenario, but I somehow blasted away tons of soldiers with everything I had).

That part of the game was one of the most memorable for me. The first time I played it I was like "I'm not leaving ya bro." Then when they busted through the door and kept coming, I was like "it was nice knowing ya bro."

The second or third time I played it I decided I was going to see if I could save him. I fought until I ran out of ammo and they were still coming and sending tougher guys, so I bolted thinking it was meant to be a no-win situation. Somehow though when I got to the part later in the game where you had to retrieve something from his body in the morgue, he was still alive.

Then when I played it again another time, I prepared myself for it. I was determined to see if it could be won. I set up traps before they came in, and this time I managed to fight them off. The cool thing about it is the game changed to reflect that he was still alive instead of the first time knowing he was dead and the second time thinking he was dead, the game changed dialogs and such to reflect that he was alive.

MeanJim on Steam

44. Re: GTA5 PC Graphics Options Detailed; Game May Span 7 Discs Apr 9, 2015, 02:15 jimnms

nin wrote on Apr 9, 2015, 01:55:
The Half Elf wrote on Apr 9, 2015, 01:22:
Driving and shooting was easy with a M&K in GTA4, why would it be any more difficult in 5?

One of the cool things they added/changed going from last gen to current gen consoles (and I'd be shocked if the pc didn't have it as well) is, instead of a single button press to aim/shoot (IE the gun begins firing the moment the button is pressed, even if you're not on target yet), now you can have one button press to aim, and then another to shoot. Or, you can also change it back to the traditional method it was before.

There's lot of cool options like that, also how you can specify what you want the default camera to be in car, or on foot. They seem to have embraced the idea that people play the game differently, and try to support as many options as they can.

The aim and shoot in GRA IV PC are different buttons, did they change it to one button for GTA V in the old gen consoles?

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
12. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 8, 2015, 21:23 jimnms

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 8, 2015, 05:13:
You checked "give recommended updates the same way as important updates"

Which is not default, and that means you changed it to that All recommended updates are by default listed under optional.
It takes user action to change that default behavior. Likely like TONS of other people I know you clicked through that when windows first booted back when you installed it.. easy mistake to make, makes your MS rant quite hilarious though

What MS rant? I'm calling the article BS for claiming it's optional. If it were optional, it would be optional not recommended.

I'm pretty damn sure the recommended updates option is selected by default. I don't know if it always was. I know I didn't have it selected for a long time on my PC. The last several times I've installed Windows for someone it was checked by default, so I finally turned it on for my system.

MeanJim on Steam

21. Re: GTA5 PC Graphics Options Detailed; Game May Span 7 Discs Apr 8, 2015, 20:47 jimnms

For our short stint with the game we played in 4K with two GTX 980s in SLI, 32GB RAM and an i7-5930k processor at 3.50Ghz. That's beefy - higher than the average machine will run at - but the minimum specs are much less demanding. In fact, they're lower than you'd probably expect. The aim, says Rockstar, was to make GTA 5 malleable to a vast number of different setups so that most, if not all players, should feel as if they're getting the definitive GTA experience. The true performance of GTA 5 on lower-spec rigs remains to be seen.

Then why didn't you test the game on a lower spec system? Rolleyes I really don't give two shits on how this plays on a $4000 PC, I'd rather have an idea of what it would do on something normal.

MeanJim on Steam

7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 7, 2015, 22:15 jimnms

nin wrote on Apr 7, 2015, 21:03:
It's Recommended, but it's under the Optional banner.

Not for me. Look at the second screen shot I posted, it's in the Important section.

MeanJim on Steam

5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 7, 2015, 20:52 jimnms

MajorD wrote on Apr 7, 2015, 19:31:
This did come up for me as an 'Optional' update, which I have forgone FTB.

It showed up as a recommended update for me. I have Windows update set to only notify me of updates. I remember getting the updates that Saturday. First it was just one update that required a restart. Then after restarting, two more showed up, but didn't require a restart.

After uninstalling it, a little while later I got a notice of an important update. The description is a lie too. It says "Install this update to resolve issues in Windows."

It's odd that the update was installed Saturday, but this morning was the first time the GWXConfigManager.exe set off the firewall.

MeanJim on Steam

2332 Comments. 117 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo