Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2248 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
4. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Dec 20, 2014, 19:13 jimnms

However, the door doesn’t automatically unlock when the interior handle is pulled

I thought it was a safety deal that the interior door handles had to mechanically unlock and open the doors. Every car I've seen that has electronic locks still have mechanical door handles inside. My car has electronic locks, even though it has key holes on the outside, they just send an electronic signal to lock/unlock the door or roll down the windows (love that feature in the summer) depending on which way you turn it and how long you hold it there. The inside door handles are still mechanical though and open the car whether it's locked or not.

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Sale
5. Re: On Sale Dec 20, 2014, 02:33 jimnms

GameStop has a sale going on. There's a few good deals in there, like Dragon Age Origins for $5 or Battlefield 4 for $5. I'm tempted to get DA:O. It's an Origin code though. I'm not anti-Origin, I was hoping it would go on sale on Steam or Amazon (it was $5 on Amazon once before and I missed it). I don't really want to give any money to GameStop though, and it'll be just my luck that it will show up on Steam or Amazon right after I buy it.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Dec 18, 2014, 17:24 jimnms

Do they not spell/grammar check shit before posting it? There are two mistakes in the first fucking sentence.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steam Holiday Sale Begins
29. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Begins Dec 18, 2014, 16:53 jimnms

If anyone is wanting Payday2, I have a spare copy from buying a 4-pack during the summer sale that I'll trade for Dragon Age Origins Ultimate goes on sale.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
4. Re: Evening Safety Dance Dec 13, 2014, 04:28 jimnms

nin wrote on Dec 12, 2014, 18:49:
Windows 7 users urged to uninstall broken update that wreaks havoc on software.

This is why I wait a month on patches...

I usually update my desktop Tuesday night or Wednesday, and my home media center is set to auto update and reboot on Sunday mornings. This way if there are any problems with updates, I'll catch it on my desktop first. I have yet to have a problem with updates on my desktop, this one included. I updated my desktop Tuesday night, and everything went fine. Wednesday night right before I was about to go to bed I remote logged into my media center PC to schedule a show to record. The Windows Update thing popped up, so I decided to go ahead and do it since I didn't have any problems with them on the desktop.

I logged back in after it rebooted to make sure everything went ok, and that's when the shit went crazy. I was getting UAC prompts for things that usually didn't require them, like event viewer and task manager, and it was showing the executable was from an unknown publisher. I figured it was a broken update that messed with the security certificates. I searched and didn't find results. It didn't seem to be causing any problems, so I went on to bed. The next day searching for the problem, the first result now was to the broken update. Removing it (which wasn't as easy as it sounded) put the system back to normal. I then uninstalled it from my other system just to be safe even though it didn't have any problems.

I think I'll stick to letting my media center PC update on Sunday, usually if there are any broken updates, they'll be found and pulled by then.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Dec 9, 2014, 22:55 jimnms

WTFF? People pay that much money for virtual cards? I thought Hearthstone was FTP anyway.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 9, 2014, 11:26 jimnms

Meanwhile, computer users give Microsoft the finger for even thinking of subscriptions.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steam Top 10
32. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 9, 2014, 11:17 jimnms

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 09:57:
huh? A "weak" RPG that you spent 600 hours in?

I am confused.....

Just because it's a weak RPG doesn't mean it isn't a fun game (most of the time). I don't fast travel, except for using the carriages, and I spent a lot of time grinding to level up skills. I would pick up ore and ingots, craft jewelry, enchant it and sell it, which leveled up smithing, enchanting and speech. I would also buy/pick up ingredients to craft potions just to level up alchemy even though I didn't use any of the potions I created. That didn't always turn out to be a good thing either because the world scales up with your level. Leveling up by increasing those non combat skills got me into some trouble when I started running into higher level enemies and my combat skills weren't up to it.

Other than getting bored with the quests, there are a lot of other little things that add up and put me off, for example I discovered that most armor in the game is useless since they dumbed the game down by removed item degradation. Improving weapons still makes since because the higher the quality the more damage it does. My smithing skill was the first to max out. I'm playing a light armor character, and I was waiting to level up so I could get the dragon smithing perk and create a badass looking set of dragon scale armor. After leveling up, I discovered I couldn't take the dragon smithing perk because it required you to unlock the heavy armor side of the perk tree, even though the skill coveres both light and heavy armors. They have since fixed that, but at the time I didn't let it stop me, I just used the editor to modify the skill tree and allow me to take it from the light armor side. Then I ran around collecting my stashes of dragon bones and scales to go take to my house and craft the armor. Once I got back to my house, I was a few bones/scales short of creating a full set. I decided to "cheat" and consult a wiki to find out how many I needed, when I discovered something. I already knew the game had a DR cutoff, but I didn't know what that meant in terms of the armor rating. Well it turns out the DR cutoff is 80%, which is equal to an armor rating of something like 570. The armor I had was already nearly 700, which also had some enchantments on it, so going to dragon armor would have been a downgrade. With smithing at 100 and just the first perk, you can create a set of improved leather armor that is over 570. Other than looks, there is no reason to use anything other than leather armor. If armor degraded with use, it would make since because armor with higher rating would stay above that 80% DR threshold before needing repair.

I know there are lots of mods now that make it a better RPG, but they still can't fix the crappy quests. That seems to be Bethesda's business model, create a half assed game and let modders make a real game out of it. Most of the mods I would like to use require starting a new game. I do have mods installed, but they're mostly visual enhancements and I want to finish my first game.

One of these days I'm going to finish it. I started to play it again a few months ago, but then got bored with it after a few days and haven't played it in almost 2 months. I'm playing a melee character and I originally thought I would do a second play through as a mage, but I doubt I will play it again after I finish it.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steam Top 10
29. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 8, 2014, 22:15 jimnms

I have almost 600 hours in Skyrim and have yet to finish it. I go back to it from time to time, but it just doesn't hold me long. It's a weak RPG IMO. I never heard of The Elder Scrolls until Fallout 3 came out and everyone called it Obilivion with guns, so I had to see what Oblivion was. I ended up buying it during a Steam sale, but only played it for a few hours. Skyrim is my first real dive into TES world. Initially I liked the idea of skills leveling up as you used them, but it wasn't long before I began to dislike it. It kills off the whole "character building" aspect of RPGs, and makes it so you have grind to level up skills you wouldn't normally use just so you can to level up to get a perk point to use in a skill tree you do use.

I think what really puts me off the most are the quest. I have hardly done any of the main quests, they just didn't do a good job in making me feel the need to do it. A friend of mine was playing at the same time, but he had a day head start because I was out of town the day it released. At the beginning of the game after you escape the dragon attack, the guy you escape with says you should split up, so I did. I just wandered and did side quests. At first I kind of enjoyed being free to do and go where I wanted to discover quests on my own, but felt that what I was doing had no purpose. My friend kept telling me about these awesome battles he was having with dragons, but I had yet to see a single one. It turns out it was because they don't show up until you do the first part of the main quest line. The reason I hadn't done that was because I split up like the guy said. My friend said he followed him and when you do he tells you to go to see the Jarl, who then gives you the first of the main quests.

Then some of the side quests are just filler junk quests, and at times don't even make sense, like I walk into a town for the first time and some stranger asks me to deliver some valuable item for them. The quests are too linear. They're mostly all go to A, do B, come back for reward. There's no branching or alternate ways to accomplish most of them.

shihonage wrote on Dec 8, 2014, 04:41:
No really, Skyrim is ankle-deep. You can finish the game, go around talk to NPCs, and they'll treat you like nothing happened. There are far too few choice&consequence checks, and the world isn't really reactive in any meaningful way.

I agree with you about Skyrim being shallow, but disagree somewhat about its reactivity to you. It's not like they have the internet and camera phones where people can get instant updates on what's going on in the world. They have books, so I'm sure they probably have some form of news papers. How is some random citizen supposed to know you are the dragon born and all of your epic deeds? Then there are times when people know about things I did when they shouldn't.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > inXile TMs Meanwhile & Van Buren
16. Re: inXile TMs Meanwhile & Van Buren Dec 8, 2014, 18:27 jimnms

Mad Max RW wrote on Dec 8, 2014, 16:03:
Unless I'm mistaken Bethesda currently owns all the assets created for Van Buren aka Black Isle's Fallout 3. It was also never "85% completed" or whatever rumor the internet cooked up. Former Black Isle developers such as Josh Sawyer refuted that claim years ago.

I found this on the Fallout Wiki:
In 2003, the game was canceled and the Black Isle employees were laid off. At that time the engine was about 95% done. You could create characters, use skills, perform both ranged and melee combat, save/load games and travel across maps. A tutorial level was done that would let the designers do all of the above. All areas but one had been designed. About 75% of the dialogue was done and at least 50% of the maps. BIS already had many of the character models and monster models.[1]

You can still download the tech demo here.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > inXile TMs Meanwhile & Van Buren
12. Re: inXile TMs Meanwhile & Van Buren Dec 8, 2014, 15:21 jimnms

I thought I remember reading once that Van Buren was 85% complete when it was canceled. I thought that was such a shame and wondered why no one dug it out and finished it after all this time.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Dec 6, 2014, 18:08 jimnms

Genesis 3:16
Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.

Deuteronomy 22:28-29
If a man find a damsel that is a virgin, which is not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found; Then the man that lay with her shall give unto the damsel's father fifty shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife; because he hath humbled her, he may not put her away all his days.

1 Corinthians 14:34-36
Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

1 Timothy 2:11-15
Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Dead State
8. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead State Dec 5, 2014, 15:25 jimnms

Jerykk wrote on Dec 4, 2014, 23:34:
I backed this and look forward to playing it, though I think I'll wait a month or two for the inevitable patches.

Same here. I thought it was odd they released a day 1 patch with so many bug fixes. It wasn't like they were under pressure to push the game out at a specific time. I backed Wasteland 2 and D:OS, and haven't yet played either of those yet since release (I played some during their early access). I was waiting for my physical box to arrive before starting WL2 and a fix for something that annoys me about D:OS. I'm really itching to play both of those. There is at least one patch planned for each of those, so I'm finishing off some other games while waiting for those patches.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Free Age of Wonders with GOG.com Winter Sale
23. Re: Free Age of Wonders with GOG.com Winter Sale Dec 4, 2014, 17:06 jimnms

I wish I didn't already have the STALKER games on Steam, so I could have GOG DRM free versions. I bought the first one at release and still have my disk, but I never finished it due to the first patch not being compatible with save games. I stuck with the release version until I got stuck due to a bug, then just never felt like starting all over. I bought them a few years ago during a Steam sale and been meaning to play them, but they keep getting pushed down the long list of games I need to get to.

Since I got The Witcher 2 free during their last sale, I can grab the first one for $1.49. I'm still not sure I'd play it though. It looks too hack 'n' slash for my tastes, and I don't much care for hack 'n' slash RPGs. I do have a spare GOG gift of Wasteland 1, if someone wants to trade.

Speaking of RPGs, that Ultimate D&D Collection keeps coming up every sale, but I already own all but four of the games in it (NWN 1 & 2, Dragonshard and Demon Stone). I'm only interested in picking up the NWN games. It's cheaper to buy all four for 80% off than the two I want for $60 off, but I don't want Dragonshard or Demon Stone. I wish they'd discount them individually. I keep passing every time it goes on sale because of this. I'm almost tempted just to pay the $2 extra not to have those two games in my library.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Target Halts Grand Theft Auto V Sales Down Under
64. Re: Target Halts Grand Theft Auto V Sales Down Under Dec 3, 2014, 22:28 jimnms

Wraith wrote on Dec 3, 2014, 13:04:
Yeah, the thing is, we banned semi-automatics and cut our gun massacres to zero. You guys need guns to feel like men and you're still killing your kids.

We're ahead of you mate. By decades.

New Zealand seems to be doing just fine too, and they didn't resort to a national ban on firearms.
The current paper examines the incidence of mass shootings in Australia and New Zealand (a country that is socioeconomically similar to Australia, but with a different approach to firearms regulation) over a 30 year period. It does not find support for the hypothesis that Australia’s prohibition of certain types of firearms has prevented mass shootings, with New Zealand not experiencing a mass shooting since 1997 despite the availability in that country of firearms banned in Australia.

Prez wrote on Dec 3, 2014, 15:41:
This is way off topic, so feel free to shoot me in the face (I'm a guy so it's perfectly okay!) But I have to say Australia =/= America. In Australia the main type of firearm owned by the citizenry are hunting rifles, and even then, don't you have to belong to a licensed hunting club to own one? Correct me if I am wrong, but the only ones that even had access to assault rifles were the standing army who kept them locked up in their homes. It was easy to ban assault rifles in Australia and enforce the ban because they knew exactly who had them and where they were, and there were relatively very few of them. There is an ungodly number of assault rifles in the US and there is no way in hell at this point that a ban could be realistically enforced. It's even more ridiculous of a notion given how many handguns are in the US. To argue at this point whether the US should or shouldn't ban some or all type of firearms is beyond pointless. The US is not Australia.

Since we're off topic... "Assault rifles" are a more of an enthusiast/collectors firearm. They're expensive and rarely used to commit crimes. More people are murdered every year by bare hands than all types of rifles (source). The DOJ's analysis of the 1994 Assault Weapon Ban concluded that its effects on gun violence was "too small for reliable measurement, because assault weapons are rarely used in gun crimes." Yet any time an assault weapon is used in a crime, the media is all over it getting everyone upset calling for a ban of the least used weapon to commit crimes.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Out of the Blue
37. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2014, 01:22 jimnms

jdreyer wrote on Nov 26, 2014, 13:55:
I'm glad that worked out for Prez, but using a gun for self defense can increase your chance of getting shot as I mentioned in my last post.

The link you posted is a pretty piss poor study. It is only taking data from one city, which is a high crime city to begin with. You still can't know that for sure if having a gun increases your chance of getting shot as all of these studies come to a false conclusion because they don't count for the unreported number of times a gun is used in self defense without being a shot being fired. I'd like to see one that takes into account the ~100,000 per year as reported by the NCVS plus the estimated unreported 500,000 by the CDC or the others at 1-2.5 million.

MeanJim on Steam

29. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 26, 2014, 08:19 jimnms

jdreyer wrote on Nov 25, 2014, 22:24:
While I hear what Cutter and Jimnms are saying, and I understand the comfort gun ownership affords, the statistics are pretty damning:
This model indicated that for each percentage point increase in gun ownership, the firearm homicide rate increased by 0.9%.
"An armed society is a polite society" is also a myth. Guns, like internet anonymity, afford a level of protection to the owner such that they feel they can get away with more:
motorists who had been in a vehicle in which there was a gun were more likely to engage in such forms of road rage.
Does a gun in your home make you safer? Nope:
626 shootings occurred in or around a residence. This total included 54 unintentional shootings, 118 attempted or completed suicides, and 438 assaults/homicides. Thirteen shootings were legally justifiable or an act of self-defense, including three that involved law enforcement officers acting in the line of duty
Got that? Of 626 home shootings, only 13 were in self defense. The problem with guns and humans is that humans have poor judgement and make mistakes. And you can't often undo a mistake with a gun.

I could go on and on.

I've had these discussions so much I'm tired of it. I can find just as many studies and statistics that show the opposite. The reports I've read that conclude you are more likely to be killed by owning a gun tend to stack their numbers by lumping in gun suicides to the total gun deaths. This is dishonest because someone determined to commit suicide will find a way with or without a gun. After Australia's gun ban, suicide by gun obviously dropped, but the ban had absolutely no effect on the suicide rate because people turned to other methods.

What all of these "statistics" and studies fail to show is this:
Prez wrote on Nov 25, 2014, 22:37:
I had to pull my gun once because I saw a dangerous situation developing, and the sight of me doing so de-escalated what could have been a bad situation.

The USDOJ NCVS shows just over 100,000 reported cases of a guns used in self defense per year. The CDC estimates as many as 500,000 more go unreported. There other studies that attempt to estimate unreported uses of guns in self defense that range from 200,000 to 2.5 million times per year.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > On Sale
14. Re: On Sale Nov 26, 2014, 07:17 jimnms

Acleacius wrote on Nov 25, 2014, 21:00:
Is there anyway to set a percentage of a sale on your Steam Wish list? I.e. if I want to be notified of a Flash sale or any other sale where the game is 50% to 75% off.

You can do that at IsThereAnyDeal. You can import your wishlist and customize how it notifies you of deals. You can have it notify you only if the discount is 50% or greater, or you can set it to notify you of a discount once then not again unless the price drops below the previous notification. It will even notify you if there is a discount code (i.e. GMG) for a game. By default it notifies you if a game on your wishlist goes on sale anywhere, even if it's GOG, Origin, Uplay, but you can also set it to only notify you if the game activates on Steam.

I've noticed Steam's wishlist notification a lot of the time doesn't work when games go on sale, but IsThereAnyDeal works great.

MeanJim on Steam

20. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 25, 2014, 19:49 jimnms

Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 25, 2014, 14:49:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 25, 2014, 14:15:
The law states you must flee your own home. Unreal. No one has ever been charged, but it is on the books as basically saying if you can leave your home during an attack, you should.....

That is so fucked up, Bats. I'm glad I live in Texas. There's zero fucking snowball's chance in Hell that I am giving up my home, its contents, my pets and the people inside it to some crackhead invader because someone else thinks that would be a safer choice.

There were a string of home break-ins here a few weeks ago. In three of the break-ins the family was home. Two didn't go so well for the families, it was a woman and her two children home. The two men that broke in tied the kids up and took turns raping the mother while the kids watched. They robbed the place, raped the mother again, then left. The second time was an elderly couple at home. Once again it was two men, they beat the couple nearly to death, then robbed the place. The last reported break-in involved a mother and three children. The two men tied them up, but this time the oldest child managed to get free, get a gun and shoot one of them. The other one got away, but hasn't been caught yet. This one happened just a few houses from my sister's house. There haven't been anymore reported break-ins since. The last thing I read said that they think most of the break-ins were committed by the same two men, and one was done by someone the family knew in hopes that it would be blamed on the others.

I own guns, have a carry permit and carry when and where I can. When I get into a discussion with anti-gunners, they always assume people that carry guns want to shoot someone. I explain that I carry a gun for the same reason I have home owners insurance, car insurance and health insurance. I don't want to use it, but I have it in case I need it and just like insurance, I'd rather have it and never need to use it than not have it and wish I did.

MeanJim on Steam

2248 Comments. 113 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo