Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for PHJF

Real Name PHJF   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PHJF
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description VE3D Refugee
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 29, 2003, 02:16
Total Comments 8878 (Guru)
User ID 17251

User comment history
< Newer [ 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: just so you know Dec 21, 2012, 13:46 PHJF

Man, somebody should have warned me of the pitfalls in losing a ton of weight. Virtually everything I own has become comically oversized. Well, at least my shoes still fit.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Jagged Alliance Online Updated
2. Re: Jagged Alliance Online Updated Dec 21, 2012, 11:32 PHJF

A review from ~3 months ago:

Unfortunately, Jagged Alliance Online suffers from the inevitable hidden costs of the free-to-play model, which seem particularly intrusive here. It starts early, such as when you need to buy an additional mercenary to help you out right after the tutorial mission, leaving you with the option of buying one limited to 24 real-time hours or a permanent one with outrageously priced premium currency. It seems fine at first, but it soon becomes apparent that the gold cost of mercenaries far outstrips the pace at which you earn gold if you’re playing casually, so eventually you’ll have to spend cash. Then there’s the fuel (which acts as “energy” somewhat) that replenishes over time, but not at a rate that’s fast enough to balance with everything you need it for. Inevitably, you’ll run out, forcing you to run to the cash shop again. And all this before you’ve even tried to expand your inventory.

News Comments > Steam Holiday Sale
47. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 20, 2012, 17:50 PHJF

So I guess BL2 DLC isn't part of the "Borderlands Franchise".  

61. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2012, 13:03 PHJF

Bakker's stuff is full of geo-political claptrap and dumb shit like demon rape though.

WHERE DO I SIGN UP

News Comments > God Mode Announced
4. Re: God Mode Announced Dec 20, 2012, 13:00 PHJF

iddqd  

50. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2012, 00:28 PHJF

Cheers for the recommendations, got a lot of new material to read!  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 19, 2012, 15:14 PHJF

Don't make me laugh, that Nintendo-style pinball was never good for more than a minor distraction. Pro Pinball completely trounced it.  

21. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2012, 11:52 PHJF

In other news, Don't Starve is really fun (being the Terraria vet I am) and if the rate of new content remains as steady as it has been recently, it's going to be a kickass final product in March. There really isn't a ton of content in it right now but what is there is great fun wrapped in fantastic production quality. The dev is really proactive and communicative.

And I'm looking for novels to read. I just finished The Passage, which was OK at best (being a sort of Stephen King pop novel but without his level of quality). I also just read Rainbows End and A Fire Upon the Deep. Can anyone comment on the quality of the followup novel(s) to AFUtD? I'm going to read Point Counter Point right now but I like to keep scifi books in the rotation.

News Comments > Need for Speed Most Wanted Ultimate Speed Pack
2. Re: Need for Speed Most Wanted Ultimate Speed Pack Dec 19, 2012, 11:46 PHJF

Yeah but from what I've seen at least it looks pretty amazing on the high end. You wouldn't think a racing game, and an arcade-style one at that, would be setting the graphics bar. I guess that's a statement about the state (yes I just said that) of modern PC gaming.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - RAGE: The Scorchers
13. Re: Ships Ahoy - RAGE: The Scorchers Dec 18, 2012, 15:36 PHJF

The Scorchers?

I'm siding with the Tunnel Snakes; they rule!

15. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 18, 2012, 15:34 PHJF

I do own like 30 PS3 games but they are almost all one-and-done affairs. Then again I have basically no friends with whom to play, so what can you do... and I'm pretty sure I got all of two console-exclusive games this year (Dragon's Dogma and Catherine). This cycle is dead, man... it would be pretty silly to get on board this late in the game unless you really really really need a(n expensive) BRD player.  

News Comments > Medal of Honor Warfighter: Zero Dark Thirty Map Pack
10. Re: Medal of Honor Warfighter: Zero Dark Thirty Map Pack Dec 18, 2012, 15:25 PHJF

The stupidest fucking tie in in the history of mankind.  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2012, 13:08 PHJF

OK, I'll "bite" on Don't Starve. Friend of mine could use an xmas gift on Steam, anyways.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
60. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 17, 2012, 12:59 PHJF

What graphics cards are we looking at these days for price/performance?

nvidia 660. nvidia's x60 line is generally always the best price/performance.

Power consumption hasn't seen a drastic rise. GPUs use a smidge more. Maybe some of the extra i7 power usage comes from shifting some motherboard functions onto the CPU (like memory and PCIe controllers), but even still, we're talking like 50, 100 tops more wattage over a Q6600. Nothing to write home about.

I would maybe consider 600-700W for a new i7, single-gpu system.

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
1. Re: Hardware Reviews Dec 17, 2012, 12:16 PHJF

I find myself inadvertently holding down D during games because I have failed to let it return, which is an annoying characteristic of the Cherry Blue switches. While the feedback on downstroke is obvious with the clicking at half distance, there isn't a lot of resistance or feedback on the return. My character starts strafing right and I'm like "what the hell?" before looking down at my index finger... this also presents a problem during lame-ass QTEs wherein I'm supposed to press the same key repeatedly.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
11. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 16, 2012, 16:18 PHJF

Where's AC3?? FC3 looks so amazing but i still have some hype for AC3

Are you kidding, with that damn Ubi DRM who is gonna bu...oh wait a second...

Probably has more to do with PC AC3 having been delayed three weeks, plus the fact AC3 was just on sale on either console for $33 while PC was still $50.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
5. Re: Sunday Mobilization Dec 16, 2012, 15:03 PHJF

Not versatile enough??? It's a fucking e-reader, not one of Batman's utility-belt gadgets.

I use my Kindle every day. I didn't buy it to play fucking Pac Man, I bought it to READ on, which it does infinitely better than any "portable computer".

1. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2012, 13:18 PHJF

I don't know what I would do with all that downstream, and I almost never upload things, so my 25/1 for $30 a month is plenty enough. Downloads from Steam are 1.5-2MB/s any time of day, so paying for any more would seem like a silly luxury.  

14. Re: This Dec 15, 2012, 16:16 PHJF

At least I won't hear another fucking word about the fiscal cliff next week at the gym.

24 hour television news was a horrible idea.

43. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 15, 2012, 11:51 PHJF

But, you hear sirens and see lights? Pull over. That is what a reasonable person does. End of story.

That's the thing, people can't be expected to react "reasonably" around police anymore. Police have steadily gone from being respected, neighborly public servants to being menacing thugs. Is that a representative image of law enforcement as a whole? Of course not. But it's the only image many people see, an image enforced time and again by youtube videos and newspaper articles of unjustifiable overuse of (often deadly) force. The kicker is the overly zealous officers in these instances are seldom reported to get so much as a slap on the wrist. Matters are "looked into" and nothing. Ever. Happens.

8878 Comments. 444 pages. Viewing page 50.
< Newer [ 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo