Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for PHJF

Real Name PHJF   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PHJF
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description VE3D Refugee
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 29, 2003, 02:16
Total Comments 8769 (Guru)
User ID 17251

User comment history
< Newer [ 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2012, 11:14 PHJF

It's sad how everyone seems to have basically forgotten about that...

It's called the inexorable march of time.

Steam + PSN: PHJF
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Creative Assembly Making Warhammer Games
32. Re: Creative Assembly Making Warhammer Games Dec 6, 2012, 20:22 PHJF

The games mechanic was repetitive, I'll concede that much. But having a worse narrative than DMC, Heavenly Sword

I couldn't care less about the narrative (and Devil May Cry is infamous for its hilariously bad stories and characters), I'm talking about combat/control/enemies/environments/etc. The whole game was half cooked. As somebody who owns pretty much every game in the genre on his PS3 (shit I even bought Enslaved) I'm totally confident in placing Space Marine firmly at the bottom of the barrel.

If every reference to 40K were stricken from the game nobody would give it a second thought, is my point. It would have ended up in the bargain bin even faster than it already did. Once the novelty of playing as a Space Marine wore off the game showed nothing but blandness and rough edges.

28. Re: Creative Assembly Making Warhammer Games Dec 6, 2012, 17:44 PHJF

The narrative was also one of the best I've seen in a W40K game. When I first saw the game I just thought it was going to be a crappy console action game but that's mainly because they marketed it really badly.

Then you haven't played a good console action game (there are a shitload of these btw) because Space Marine was terrible.

Devil May Cry, God of War, Darksiders, Heavenly Sword, Ninja Gaiden, Lords of Shadow, Dragon's Dogma, Arkham City... off the top of my head. Space Marine is shit next to any one of these. All the fuckload of lore, enemy races, and weapons of 40K and somehow none of it ends up in Space Marine except three ork units, a handful of chaos, and jumpjets.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 6, 2012, 13:37 PHJF

That looks exactly like Dragon Quest VIII being run at a higher resolution.

Oh, what progress!

4. Re: NASA animation Dec 6, 2012, 11:18 PHJF

I was under the impression Legacy made poorly at the box office, despite Disney's exhaustive efforts to make it "cool." In fact it didn't even pull back its (purported) budget domestically (even though it more than made up for it internationally).  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 6, 2012, 11:14 PHJF

Wow and here I thought the Civ4 theme "Baba Yetu" had been nominated and won a Grammy already.  

2. Re: Creative Assembly Making Warhammer Games Dec 6, 2012, 11:06 PHJF

Nobody FUCKING CARES about WH, do 40K and do it more justice than that PIECE OF SHIT SPACE MARINE.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
23. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 6, 2012, 09:16 PHJF

and somehow the ones with the blinders off are the people who obstinately refuse to consider an upgrade, because...?

Don't know about anyone else, but because Win7 works great. Fast, stable, and not bad to look at. And I came from Vista x64, an OS with serious problems and compatibility issues.

Really, though, it boils down to Win8 being completely unnecessary. I don't need or want to change my OS every two years.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 5, 2012, 15:22 PHJF

And dumping money into NASA isn't going to magically solve all our problems, either. What's your point? NASA should be funded, sure. Within reason. And stuff like education, healthcare and alternative energy are a hell of a lot more immediate and necessary than a mission to Mars. Without something besides fossil fuels, we aren't doing shit in space. Without education, nobody is going to have any idea what to do in space. Without healthcare, some kid is going to die of cancer instead of going to work at NASA.

You seem to forget NASA depends on people. That's its resource. When you get a generation of well-educated, healthy individuals who don't spend half their lives wondering how they'll ever pay off their student loans, maybe then more people will show more support for space exploration. Or maybe we can pass the buck to one of the dozens of countries ahead of us in math and science education.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 5, 2012, 13:40 PHJF

Everybody, take five:

Dave Brubeck dead at the senseless age of 91.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 5, 2012, 11:17 PHJF

It sounds like the "120Hz makes everything look like a soap opera" argument.

The fact is we are so adapted to the current standard that of course anything new is going to "look weird." Peter Jackson was right when he said people should "deal with it." If sets look like shit then that's a problem for filmmakers, not viewers.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 5, 2012, 10:34 PHJF

You know, it is possible to see both sides of the issue. Obviously mankind's future will eventually be among the stars, but there are very real domestic issues which need dealing with. And they won't wait. If Neil deGrasse and Sagan can accept this, so should you.  

News Comments > Planescape: Torment Successor Plans
28. Re: Planescape: Torment Successor Plans Dec 5, 2012, 09:03 PHJF

Yeah I don't know where this idea came from that you have to see the actual person to play an RPG with them, wtf? Video conferencing??? The whole point of the RPG is the players assume avatars, something we've long been doing in video games.

If somebody were to make a D&D toolset and let users easily craft dungeons and whatnot for groups of people to have at, I'm sure a lot of people would climb on board.

The fact Magic: The Gathering has a successful online game that is completely identical to the physical version is proof enough it could work.

News Comments > New NVIDIA Reference Drivers
20. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 15:21 PHJF

Nvidia drivers no longer require a reboot after install? Holy Progress Movement, Batman!

Wasn't this something Win7 did? Like in the same way video drivers dicking out no longer BSODs?

13. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2012, 15:05 PHJF

This shit is so fucked. When I was a kid winter around Cleveland meant snowdrifts on the side of my house that went over my fuckin head, and snow sometimes falling while trick or treating. Now it's fucking Dec 4th, sixty out, and pouring.  

20. Re: Planescape: Torment Successor Plans Dec 4, 2012, 12:44 PHJF

Online gaming is years from recreating the social setting of tabletop gaming.

No, the tech is all there, the bandwidth, the market is all there. The only thing missing is a developer with the balls/money/desire to do something about it.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2012, 12:42 PHJF

Fuck, you're telling me I should be watching Walking Dead again??? It got so fuckin awful I had stopped in the middle of S02.  

News Comments > Steam Big Picture Mode Launches
44. Re: Steam Big Picture Mode Launches Dec 4, 2012, 10:00 PHJF

I would just love to fucking see a driver-level or OS-level option to toggle between multi monitors on an app specific basis. I shouldn't have to change my TV to my primary screen to get a game to grab it.

Very rarely a game comes along with a .ini value that does just this.

17. Re: Planescape: Torment Successor Plans Dec 4, 2012, 09:19 PHJF

I've never played a tabletop game (though in high school I got dangerously close to buying into WH40K) so speaking as an observer...

Isn't it time to retire PnP? We're well past the point where, given tools enough, the PC can be used to carry nearly all of the tabletop experience online. NWN was hugely popular and had tons of fucking wacky servers, from a bunch of LotR realms to a mock Diablo clone to full-on original servers. The success of WoW clearly shows a market for this sort of thing, and at the same time its (many) shortcomings highlight the need for something much better. Enough with the clones and knockoffs and incremental updates to a long-stale formula, somebody needs to get off their fucking asses and make a REAL, WORTHWHILE MMO not to compete with WoW, not to dethrone it, but to show it as the simple, uninspired, boring game it has long been. What better way than an established, esteemed IP like AD&D to do this?

Just don't let Turbine near it because they don't have the balls or abilities for so grand a project.

News Comments > Crysis 3 Specs
47. Re: Crysis 3 Specs Dec 3, 2012, 19:25 PHJF

Not to mention Crysis' trees and huts were destructible...

Wait, I am mentioning that. Far Cry 3 looks pretty good up close but I'm not seeing any draw-dropping vistas, and on exotic virtual islands I fully expect lots of peaceful mountaintop sunrises and romantic beach-side sunsets. Fully expect.

8769 Comments. 439 pages. Viewing page 48.
< Newer [ 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo