Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for PHJF

Real Name PHJF   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PHJF
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description VE3D Refugee
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 29, 2003, 02:16
Total Comments 8722 (Guru)
User ID 17251

User comment history
< Newer [ 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
5. Re: Sunday Mobilization Dec 16, 2012, 15:03 PHJF

Not versatile enough??? It's a fucking e-reader, not one of Batman's utility-belt gadgets.

I use my Kindle every day. I didn't buy it to play fucking Pac Man, I bought it to READ on, which it does infinitely better than any "portable computer".

Steam + PSN: PHJF
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2012, 13:18 PHJF

I don't know what I would do with all that downstream, and I almost never upload things, so my 25/1 for $30 a month is plenty enough. Downloads from Steam are 1.5-2MB/s any time of day, so paying for any more would seem like a silly luxury.  

14. Re: This Dec 15, 2012, 16:16 PHJF

At least I won't hear another fucking word about the fiscal cliff next week at the gym.

24 hour television news was a horrible idea.

43. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 15, 2012, 11:51 PHJF

But, you hear sirens and see lights? Pull over. That is what a reasonable person does. End of story.

That's the thing, people can't be expected to react "reasonably" around police anymore. Police have steadily gone from being respected, neighborly public servants to being menacing thugs. Is that a representative image of law enforcement as a whole? Of course not. But it's the only image many people see, an image enforced time and again by youtube videos and newspaper articles of unjustifiable overuse of (often deadly) force. The kicker is the overly zealous officers in these instances are seldom reported to get so much as a slap on the wrist. Matters are "looked into" and nothing. Ever. Happens.

41. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 15, 2012, 09:35 PHJF

You flee, you run from police, there is a pretty high chance you will be killed.

No, that's if you're running from terrible police. The firearm is not the goto law enforcement tool, it is the last resort. And if I'm ever in a position where police are chasing AND FIRING at me, I'm not going to stop and say, "hey, please stop shooting at me." Use of deadly force has long been a serious issue with the Cleveland PD and this last incident finally seems to be bringing the water to a boil.

And I think you know well enough I don't hate police. I just hate how low police officer standards have fallen. It's a thankless, often dangerous job, and it isn't attracting the quality of people such an important position deserves. I'm starting academy in January in Akron. I should hope if I get through and wind up on the streets the least I can do is not kill unarmed civilians.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2012, 23:43 PHJF

Legitimate, black market, whatever, too many guns in the hands of people who make a rash decision, have a shitty upbringing, go through a divorce or just hate someone else. Guns + Emotions = death.

Look I'm all for hunting rifles and shotguns, if you get your jollies filling buck with buckshot in the wilds of West Virginia, good on you. Handguns and AR15s are way out of line.

Oh, and Cleveland is still reeling in the aftermath of a recent police auto chase during which one officer fired his weapon ~40 times. The fleeing driver and passenger (who died in their vehicle from dozens of bullet wounds) were unarmed, and it is believed the chase began when the victims' car backfired near a police officer, who thought it was a gunshot. No, the point isn't to take firearms away from police. The point is guns, more emphatically handguns, are recipes for disaster. Their ubiquity has cultivated an environment of constant fear and violence in metropolitan areas where they are easily acquired and concealed.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2012, 20:58 PHJF

Call me crazy but I thought I'd posited a knife attack that occurred on the exact same day and which resulted in less violence. Guns are a fucking hell of a lot more effective at killing people than anything else (seeing as how it's what they are MADE FOR), and a hell of a lot easier to acquire and utilize than anything comparable in destructive force.

Like it or not guns are a part of American society

So are complete morons, many of which (shockingly!) own guns! Policy is not to be set by the lowest common denominator nor to cater to the lowest common denominator. How many of these shootings in malls/hair salons/schools/movie theaters/everywhere have to occur before you think to yourself, gee, maybe guns really AREN'T a global force for good? Maybe things which propel metal at velocities fast enough to tear through flesh and bone SHOULDN'T be all over the fucking place? Maybe the warm fuzzy feeling I get by holding one of these fine, powerful American-made handguns in my palm isn't really enough to justify its existence or legality?

People love to wave the second amendment around as if it still mattered. The global sociopolitical climate two hundred twenty years ago? That doesn't APPLY to the 21st century. There is NO law set to ANY paper so sacred as to be unfettered by the passage of time.

News Comments > RAGE DLC Next Week
5. Re: RAGE DLC Next Week Dec 14, 2012, 20:30 PHJF

I'd think any actual fanboy of id would know how to type their name.

And what the hell you gonna do with a 64bit executable, it ain't like the game's AWESOME textures are gobbling up lots of memory.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2012, 19:38 PHJF

China proves itself yet again to be more sensible than the US in these matters. They are viewing it as a crisis with their health care and mental health system, not an availability of knives problem.

When I need to slice a bagel I reach for a knife, not a Glock. Please don't compare an everyday tool which can be used as a weapon (and what can't be used as a weapon by somebody motivated enough) to a handgun designed for the sole purpose of killing people.

I believe that these types of discussions should wait because it is insensitive to argue about petty details this soon after a tragedy

OK forget the school shooting, let's spend another OOTB talking about which NFL teams are going to win this week. Real critical discourse, that.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2012, 19:04 PHJF

Actually in China today there was also an attack at a primary school. The difference is the culprit had a knife instead of a gun and so instead of 20 dead there are 20 injured.

But hey if everyone of of these now-deceased kids had had M4A1's in their Dora the Explorer backbacks, right next to their Capri Suns, this all could have been avoided.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2012, 17:04 PHJF

Generally if one is to go shooting up a school be it primary, secondary or even post secondary, armed law enforcement are going to show up at some point. Generally.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 14, 2012, 15:27 PHJF

Sound political commentary from the AXIS OF FUCKING EVIL.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 14, 2012, 14:28 PHJF

Obviously when robots take everyone's jobs then everyone's new job will be to make better robots to take THOSE robots' jobs. Obviously. And somebody is going to have to design the robots to go on Faux News shouting, "dey tuk er jerbs!"  

News Comments > DmC Devil May Cry for PCs Next Month
6. Re: DmC Devil May Cry for PCs Next Month Dec 14, 2012, 13:07 PHJF

Hopefully that was footage from like the first area of the game because those enemies were a) about 4x too few in numbers and b) about 10x too slow.  

51. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2012, 09:21 PHJF

You don't consider The Dark Knight more grounded in reality than The Avengers? The villain in one is just a crazy guy who likes to blow things up. The villain in the other is space aliens.

And really, we don't exactly have a lot of "super serious" comic book films. Watchmen and Batman are pretty much it, right? Everything else is just dumb summer fun. Maybe that's why people hold Batman to a higher standard.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Patched; New DLC Outed
8. Re: Borderlands 2 Patched; New DLC Outed Dec 14, 2012, 09:12 PHJF

After like twenty hours of it I stopped noticing how awful the inventory is.

Why does it matter anyways when .5% (on a good day) of the weapons you find are upgrades, anyways?

News Comments > Red Orchestra 2 Free Weekend and Sale
7. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Free Weekend and Sale Dec 14, 2012, 09:10 PHJF

Well I tried about 80 minutes last night. First map was one with trenches, my team was getting destroyed, and the "commander" spent the whole match yelling at the team for being so stupid and playing Call of Duty and god damn these free weekend noobs. Naturally I join the other team next map and do better, get some decent kills, capped a point or two.

Seriously, though... the Russians are grey. The Germans are slightly darker grey. I must have spent half my time in the game checking the map to see if that dude in front of me was an enemy or not. I STILL ended up with like five teamkills when all was said and done.

Game ran very well and played pretty smoothly, except the cover mechanic which is the worst done I've ever seen... and this is a game that slaps you in the face if you so much as think of not being in cover.

40. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 13, 2012, 21:41 PHJF

Huh...I'm shocked. All of these comments and zero fucks given about the ban on loud commercials. I have been waiting for this day for a long, long time.

I don't think anyone here is silly enough to watch live television?

News Comments > Red Orchestra 2 Free Weekend and Sale
1. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Free Weekend and Sale Dec 13, 2012, 21:33 PHJF

eh $5 why not. I gave Planetside an honest try but it was just a constant clusterfuck and ran like shit.

Was this pretty well patched up?

This comment was edited on Dec 13, 2012, 21:40.

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Alternate Box Art Vote
29. Re: BioShock Infinite Alternate Box Art Vote Dec 13, 2012, 16:10 PHJF

Why? I assume a bullet would pass through the intestines largely harmlessly. Smaller calibers, anyway.  

8722 Comments. 437 pages. Viewing page 43.
< Newer [ 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo