Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for PHJF

Real Name PHJF   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PHJF
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description VE3D Refugee
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 29, 2003, 02:16
Total Comments 8636 (Guru)
User ID 17251

User comment history
< Newer [ 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ] Older >

News Comments > New NVIDIA Reference Drivers
20. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 15:21 PHJF

Nvidia drivers no longer require a reboot after install? Holy Progress Movement, Batman!

Wasn't this something Win7 did? Like in the same way video drivers dicking out no longer BSODs?

Steam + PSN: PHJF
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2012, 15:05 PHJF

This shit is so fucked. When I was a kid winter around Cleveland meant snowdrifts on the side of my house that went over my fuckin head, and snow sometimes falling while trick or treating. Now it's fucking Dec 4th, sixty out, and pouring.  

News Comments > Planescape: Torment Successor Plans
20. Re: Planescape: Torment Successor Plans Dec 4, 2012, 12:44 PHJF

Online gaming is years from recreating the social setting of tabletop gaming.

No, the tech is all there, the bandwidth, the market is all there. The only thing missing is a developer with the balls/money/desire to do something about it.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2012, 12:42 PHJF

Fuck, you're telling me I should be watching Walking Dead again??? It got so fuckin awful I had stopped in the middle of S02.  

News Comments > Steam Big Picture Mode Launches
44. Re: Steam Big Picture Mode Launches Dec 4, 2012, 10:00 PHJF

I would just love to fucking see a driver-level or OS-level option to toggle between multi monitors on an app specific basis. I shouldn't have to change my TV to my primary screen to get a game to grab it.

Very rarely a game comes along with a .ini value that does just this.

News Comments > Planescape: Torment Successor Plans
17. Re: Planescape: Torment Successor Plans Dec 4, 2012, 09:19 PHJF

I've never played a tabletop game (though in high school I got dangerously close to buying into WH40K) so speaking as an observer...

Isn't it time to retire PnP? We're well past the point where, given tools enough, the PC can be used to carry nearly all of the tabletop experience online. NWN was hugely popular and had tons of fucking wacky servers, from a bunch of LotR realms to a mock Diablo clone to full-on original servers. The success of WoW clearly shows a market for this sort of thing, and at the same time its (many) shortcomings highlight the need for something much better. Enough with the clones and knockoffs and incremental updates to a long-stale formula, somebody needs to get off their fucking asses and make a REAL, WORTHWHILE MMO not to compete with WoW, not to dethrone it, but to show it as the simple, uninspired, boring game it has long been. What better way than an established, esteemed IP like AD&D to do this?

Just don't let Turbine near it because they don't have the balls or abilities for so grand a project.

News Comments > Crysis 3 Specs
47. Re: Crysis 3 Specs Dec 3, 2012, 19:25 PHJF

Not to mention Crysis' trees and huts were destructible...

Wait, I am mentioning that. Far Cry 3 looks pretty good up close but I'm not seeing any draw-dropping vistas, and on exotic virtual islands I fully expect lots of peaceful mountaintop sunrises and romantic beach-side sunsets. Fully expect.

News Comments > Crysis 3 Specs
12. Re: Crysis 3 Specs Dec 3, 2012, 13:05 PHJF

here is a bow and arrow, have fun hunting!

Each arrow is tipped with the common cold, for which the invading aliens have no biological defense.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 3, 2012, 12:39 PHJF

Preparing pastrami is not unlike BBQ, it varies from place to place, and people have their preferences. Many are fine with supermarket pastrami just as they are fine with prepackaged supermarket barbecued ribs, and I don't see any reason to look down on that. Likewise, I see no reason for reverse snobbery in favor of grocery food.

I don't favor grocery food. I favor the cheapest foods I can get that have acceptable enough flavor. If I ever hazarded a trip to NYC I'd likely stock a cooler of foods to smuggle across the border because NYC food (and everything else) is so notoriously expensive.

And I know people have preferences, but it more often than not goes beyond that and into the realm of xenophobia, a realm oft populated by we humans. In itself it doesn't hurt people thinking their regional food is "better" than others', but it doesn't stop at food. A few weeks ago I was arguing this point in regard to the election.

Anyways to illustrate my point today in the paper was an article about an uppity section of Cleveland protesting the proposed construction of a McDonalds. Now one could protest McDonalds on the grounds that they may treat animals poorly or systematically abuse workers, but these people were all waving signs proclaiming their local food didn't deserve to be tainted by the presence of a monolithic institution like Mickie D's. There's something supremely ironic about Americans, the driving force behind globalization, waving around signs condemning McDonalds. McDonalds, the restaurant synonymous with Americana the world over.

Even better was the movement just a few years back by food producers of Lebanon to have hummus declared a protected, national food. Lebanon said Israel (which has become a center of hummus production) stole hummus from them (never mind it has been a staple food of that entire region for centuries).

News Comments > Steam Top 10
37. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 3, 2012, 12:15 PHJF

It's basically a part of the game, really.

And there's the problem? I use Steam. I'm not a Steam fanboy and Steam has caused me problems in the past (and still does, with NS2), but I threw my lot in with Valve and I'm not going to juggle whatever DRM scheme every which publisher comes up with. The last Ubi game I got for PC was Prince of Persia way back when, and while it was a decent game I only purchased it as a sign of good faith for their not shipping it with any DRM whatsoever. Now we have uplay, so that clearly didn't work.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 3, 2012, 10:48 PHJF

I think you need to shop around. Pastrami isn't some kind of wonky exotic meat prep method, it's just brining and smoking. I've mentioned here how a local mart carries turkey pastrami at $5/pound that is damn good. I just wouldn't put a whole pound of it on one sandwich. That's just stupid.

This is another instance of cultural divide in food, something metro residents are famous for promoting. Talk to anyone from NYC and they'll insist there's no such thing as pizza outside the NY state line.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
33. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 3, 2012, 09:33 PHJF

What has this world turned in to. I can write a freaking book about all the crap that Dishonored is.

There is nothing else out, is there? Christmas season is supposed to be a big release time but PC gamers are left with their dicks in the wind. Shit, I almost bought Dishonored myself when I didn't like it the one time I got to play it. I'd love to get Creed 3 and Cry 3 on PC but would rather not buy into that uplay shit. So instead I just ordered a new $100 keyboard from Amazon instead of new games.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 3, 2012, 09:03 PHJF

Can't remember the last time I used a deli, I just get sandwich meats from the grocer and make my own. Doesn't take a chef to make a deli sandwich.  

3. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2012, 16:57 PHJF

Normally I find it best to ascertain a girl's age in ways other than asking, "Hey, can I see your vagina?"  

26. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2012, 12:19 PHJF

And while the subject is up, who is using a mechanical keyboard? I'm looking to replace my Logi G15 (the original model), still works like a champ but the backlight is on the outs and while the keys themselves don't show any wear, the rest of the thing is pretty haggard.

I want something much smaller than a G15 and I really have no use for macro keys, having long since abandoned using them. Figured I'd go in for a pound and get a Cherry-switch mechanical. I did all the research regarding the various styles of switches but since I'd be coming off decades of rubber dome I don't think any particular switch style would matter to me. I'm extremely tempted by the just-released Cooler Master QuickFire TK which has an incredibly small footprint and a full backlight.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2012, 12:11 PHJF

A mouse is not something one should be changing with any regularity. Get one that will last and become accustomed to it until it is an extension of your arm. I had used an intellimouse optical for at least five years (and there was nothing wrong with it in the end, I just wanted to move on) before trying a Razer (bad idea) which was quickly replaced by the G5 I've been on for about five years.

Anyways the feel is the big thing. The G5 is infinitely more comfortable than cheapo plastic mice. The one-touch DPI setting is useful for sniping or other instances requiring finesse (like graphic design). Customizable weights is just gravy (I tried the G5 weightless for a while but I prefer a mouse with heft).

18. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2012, 09:11 PHJF

I have read reviews saying the Gx00 line is cheaper and not up to MX5/G5 build quality. It'll be a sad, sad day if my G5 ever kicks the bucket.  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2012, 18:05 PHJF

So what does one a actually DO for world aids day?

Celebrate not having aids, duh.

News Comments > No Dead Island: Riptide in Germany
17. Re: No Dead Island: Riptide in Germany Dec 1, 2012, 08:39 PHJF

This is in stark contrast to Gearbox who claimed Borderlands 2 was uncut, but in fact they removed head decaps and other effects in order to comply with German (and other) law.

Actually they fucked up across the board and Borderlands 2 was censored in America. Even with the "full gore" option ticked, there are no decapitations, no elemental death effects, no flying body parts. But oh look we have horrible-looking PhysX blood everywhere...

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black Nov 30, 2012, 08:43 PHJF

I buy twelve ounces of whole bean for $6-$8...  

8636 Comments. 432 pages. Viewing page 42.
< Newer [ 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo