Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for PHJF

Real Name PHJF   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PHJF
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description VE3D Refugee
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 29, 2003, 02:16
Total Comments 8713 (Guru)
User ID 17251

User comment history
< Newer [ 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
50. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2012, 00:28 PHJF

Cheers for the recommendations, got a lot of new material to read!  

Steam + PSN: PHJF
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 19, 2012, 15:14 PHJF

Don't make me laugh, that Nintendo-style pinball was never good for more than a minor distraction. Pro Pinball completely trounced it.  

21. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2012, 11:52 PHJF

In other news, Don't Starve is really fun (being the Terraria vet I am) and if the rate of new content remains as steady as it has been recently, it's going to be a kickass final product in March. There really isn't a ton of content in it right now but what is there is great fun wrapped in fantastic production quality. The dev is really proactive and communicative.

And I'm looking for novels to read. I just finished The Passage, which was OK at best (being a sort of Stephen King pop novel but without his level of quality). I also just read Rainbows End and A Fire Upon the Deep. Can anyone comment on the quality of the followup novel(s) to AFUtD? I'm going to read Point Counter Point right now but I like to keep scifi books in the rotation.

News Comments > Need for Speed Most Wanted Ultimate Speed Pack
2. Re: Need for Speed Most Wanted Ultimate Speed Pack Dec 19, 2012, 11:46 PHJF

Yeah but from what I've seen at least it looks pretty amazing on the high end. You wouldn't think a racing game, and an arcade-style one at that, would be setting the graphics bar. I guess that's a statement about the state (yes I just said that) of modern PC gaming.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - RAGE: The Scorchers
13. Re: Ships Ahoy - RAGE: The Scorchers Dec 18, 2012, 15:36 PHJF

The Scorchers?

I'm siding with the Tunnel Snakes; they rule!

15. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 18, 2012, 15:34 PHJF

I do own like 30 PS3 games but they are almost all one-and-done affairs. Then again I have basically no friends with whom to play, so what can you do... and I'm pretty sure I got all of two console-exclusive games this year (Dragon's Dogma and Catherine). This cycle is dead, man... it would be pretty silly to get on board this late in the game unless you really really really need a(n expensive) BRD player.  

News Comments > Medal of Honor Warfighter: Zero Dark Thirty Map Pack
10. Re: Medal of Honor Warfighter: Zero Dark Thirty Map Pack Dec 18, 2012, 15:25 PHJF

The stupidest fucking tie in in the history of mankind.  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2012, 13:08 PHJF

OK, I'll "bite" on Don't Starve. Friend of mine could use an xmas gift on Steam, anyways.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
60. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 17, 2012, 12:59 PHJF

What graphics cards are we looking at these days for price/performance?

nvidia 660. nvidia's x60 line is generally always the best price/performance.

Power consumption hasn't seen a drastic rise. GPUs use a smidge more. Maybe some of the extra i7 power usage comes from shifting some motherboard functions onto the CPU (like memory and PCIe controllers), but even still, we're talking like 50, 100 tops more wattage over a Q6600. Nothing to write home about.

I would maybe consider 600-700W for a new i7, single-gpu system.

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
1. Re: Hardware Reviews Dec 17, 2012, 12:16 PHJF

I find myself inadvertently holding down D during games because I have failed to let it return, which is an annoying characteristic of the Cherry Blue switches. While the feedback on downstroke is obvious with the clicking at half distance, there isn't a lot of resistance or feedback on the return. My character starts strafing right and I'm like "what the hell?" before looking down at my index finger... this also presents a problem during lame-ass QTEs wherein I'm supposed to press the same key repeatedly.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
11. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 16, 2012, 16:18 PHJF

Where's AC3?? FC3 looks so amazing but i still have some hype for AC3

Are you kidding, with that damn Ubi DRM who is gonna bu...oh wait a second...

Probably has more to do with PC AC3 having been delayed three weeks, plus the fact AC3 was just on sale on either console for $33 while PC was still $50.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
5. Re: Sunday Mobilization Dec 16, 2012, 15:03 PHJF

Not versatile enough??? It's a fucking e-reader, not one of Batman's utility-belt gadgets.

I use my Kindle every day. I didn't buy it to play fucking Pac Man, I bought it to READ on, which it does infinitely better than any "portable computer".

1. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2012, 13:18 PHJF

I don't know what I would do with all that downstream, and I almost never upload things, so my 25/1 for $30 a month is plenty enough. Downloads from Steam are 1.5-2MB/s any time of day, so paying for any more would seem like a silly luxury.  

14. Re: This Dec 15, 2012, 16:16 PHJF

At least I won't hear another fucking word about the fiscal cliff next week at the gym.

24 hour television news was a horrible idea.

43. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 15, 2012, 11:51 PHJF

But, you hear sirens and see lights? Pull over. That is what a reasonable person does. End of story.

That's the thing, people can't be expected to react "reasonably" around police anymore. Police have steadily gone from being respected, neighborly public servants to being menacing thugs. Is that a representative image of law enforcement as a whole? Of course not. But it's the only image many people see, an image enforced time and again by youtube videos and newspaper articles of unjustifiable overuse of (often deadly) force. The kicker is the overly zealous officers in these instances are seldom reported to get so much as a slap on the wrist. Matters are "looked into" and nothing. Ever. Happens.

41. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 15, 2012, 09:35 PHJF

You flee, you run from police, there is a pretty high chance you will be killed.

No, that's if you're running from terrible police. The firearm is not the goto law enforcement tool, it is the last resort. And if I'm ever in a position where police are chasing AND FIRING at me, I'm not going to stop and say, "hey, please stop shooting at me." Use of deadly force has long been a serious issue with the Cleveland PD and this last incident finally seems to be bringing the water to a boil.

And I think you know well enough I don't hate police. I just hate how low police officer standards have fallen. It's a thankless, often dangerous job, and it isn't attracting the quality of people such an important position deserves. I'm starting academy in January in Akron. I should hope if I get through and wind up on the streets the least I can do is not kill unarmed civilians.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2012, 23:43 PHJF

Legitimate, black market, whatever, too many guns in the hands of people who make a rash decision, have a shitty upbringing, go through a divorce or just hate someone else. Guns + Emotions = death.

Look I'm all for hunting rifles and shotguns, if you get your jollies filling buck with buckshot in the wilds of West Virginia, good on you. Handguns and AR15s are way out of line.

Oh, and Cleveland is still reeling in the aftermath of a recent police auto chase during which one officer fired his weapon ~40 times. The fleeing driver and passenger (who died in their vehicle from dozens of bullet wounds) were unarmed, and it is believed the chase began when the victims' car backfired near a police officer, who thought it was a gunshot. No, the point isn't to take firearms away from police. The point is guns, more emphatically handguns, are recipes for disaster. Their ubiquity has cultivated an environment of constant fear and violence in metropolitan areas where they are easily acquired and concealed.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2012, 20:58 PHJF

Call me crazy but I thought I'd posited a knife attack that occurred on the exact same day and which resulted in less violence. Guns are a fucking hell of a lot more effective at killing people than anything else (seeing as how it's what they are MADE FOR), and a hell of a lot easier to acquire and utilize than anything comparable in destructive force.

Like it or not guns are a part of American society

So are complete morons, many of which (shockingly!) own guns! Policy is not to be set by the lowest common denominator nor to cater to the lowest common denominator. How many of these shootings in malls/hair salons/schools/movie theaters/everywhere have to occur before you think to yourself, gee, maybe guns really AREN'T a global force for good? Maybe things which propel metal at velocities fast enough to tear through flesh and bone SHOULDN'T be all over the fucking place? Maybe the warm fuzzy feeling I get by holding one of these fine, powerful American-made handguns in my palm isn't really enough to justify its existence or legality?

People love to wave the second amendment around as if it still mattered. The global sociopolitical climate two hundred twenty years ago? That doesn't APPLY to the 21st century. There is NO law set to ANY paper so sacred as to be unfettered by the passage of time.

News Comments > RAGE DLC Next Week
5. Re: RAGE DLC Next Week Dec 14, 2012, 20:30 PHJF

I'd think any actual fanboy of id would know how to type their name.

And what the hell you gonna do with a 64bit executable, it ain't like the game's AWESOME textures are gobbling up lots of memory.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2012, 19:38 PHJF

China proves itself yet again to be more sensible than the US in these matters. They are viewing it as a crisis with their health care and mental health system, not an availability of knives problem.

When I need to slice a bagel I reach for a knife, not a Glock. Please don't compare an everyday tool which can be used as a weapon (and what can't be used as a weapon by somebody motivated enough) to a handgun designed for the sole purpose of killing people.

I believe that these types of discussions should wait because it is insensitive to argue about petty details this soon after a tragedy

OK forget the school shooting, let's spend another OOTB talking about which NFL teams are going to win this week. Real critical discourse, that.

8713 Comments. 436 pages. Viewing page 42.
< Newer [ 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo