Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for PHJF

Real Name PHJF   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PHJF
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description VE3D Refugee
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 29, 2003, 02:16
Total Comments 8721 (Guru)
User ID 17251

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > John Carmack Leaves id Software
57. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 23, 2013, 08:17 PHJF

Some of id's early games, running on Carmack's engines, were trendsetters and certainly left me with some wonderful memories. I was a gamer from age of four or so, but the first time I saw Doom running in its gothic 2.5D glory, it was a life-changing event.

Yup, some coworker of my dad's had Doom running on a PC in the office while I was in for take-your-kid-to-work day... which is really the only good that came from something as nonsensical as take-your-kid-to-work day.

Steam + PSN: PHJF
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Combat Voting
37. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Combat Voting Nov 22, 2013, 17:16 PHJF

...have to watch helplessly as a bad situation becomes near hopeless?

You say that like it's a good thing? Having an AI do something a) I couldn't have prepared for and b) while I'm entirely unable to react isn't what I consider fun. Every encounter in Enemy Unknown started with the enemy interrupting my turn (whose fucking turn is it?) and moving to cover.

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Combat Voting
32. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Combat Voting Nov 22, 2013, 16:25 PHJF

You guys are fuckin nuts. I've played through the Icewind Dales like a million times. Turn based just isn't remotely visceral enough for combat involving small unit counts. There's too much of a sense of detachment and there's no sense of urgency.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2013, 16:05 PHJF

Cutter wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 12:54:
Thanks to Prof and Bats for the TESO beta key. What the hell is with their forums though? You need some sort of separate invite? Anyway, when's the next test start? I coulda swore someone said it was today.

My key was specifically for this weekend.

News Comments > RAGE Free Weekend
30. Re: RAGE Free Weekend Nov 22, 2013, 07:44 PHJF

TheVocalMinority wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 06:39:
I think a lot of the people posting here must have played a different game called "Rage" than the one I did. Tell me, did yours have shitty vehicular combat in it with ridiculous amounts of auto aim?

I think so. Did yours also have enemies which would repeatedly get shot in the head and shrug it off?

RAGE makes Doom 3 look like Doom 2.

69. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2013, 18:45 PHJF

Here's the ESO beta key they sent me.

7759F5Y5YHJEFDNRHACT

57. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2013, 17:27 PHJF

If they can see something in plain view that is suspicious, that gives them probable cause to search your vehicle without your permission. It's how they pop people for drugs, guns, and other illegal stuff all the time. Some idiot will have a baggie on the back seat or a bong sticking out from under a seat. You probably wavered a bit and they bit, hoping to score an arrest.

And this is why people love dogs. If a K9 unit hits positive on your car, it's getting searched, and it's completely legal. Officers can't detain you for an unreasonable length of time while waiting for a dog, though. What constitutes "unreasonable length" is up to the judge/jury.

51. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2013, 17:17 PHJF

If an officer in Ohio stopped you to "check if you had insurance", you'd destroy him in court. If you weren't breaking any traffic/motor vehicle equipment laws there was no basis for a stop and any subsequent findings would be inadmissible as fruits of the poisonous tree.  

40. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2013, 17:04 PHJF

Ohio used DUI before switching a number of years ago to OVI: Operating a Vehicle while Impaired. OVI is all-inclusive. You can be arrested for OVI'ing on a bicycle. It is also illegal to be in possession of keys to and intoxicated in a parked car while in the driver's seat.  

36. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2013, 16:59 PHJF

a) OVI checkpoints are publicly announced well in advance (time, location, date)

b) OVI checkpoints have signage deployed in advance of the checkpoint and give drivers the option to turn off the road/avoid the checkpoint

c) OVI checkpoints are brusque, ineffective, expensive, and consequently seldom used. They are deployed as show-of-force.

This is in regard to that "flex your muscles" video of an Ohio checkpoint. He wasn't flexing anything. The officer was checking to see if he was OVI. He didn't appear to be. They let him go. If the officer had reasonable, articulable suspicion the driver was OVI, he would have been completely legal in detaining the driver. That's Ohio law. He didn't see erratic driving, he didn't smell alcohol, he didn't see nystagmus, he didn't hear slurred speech, he didn't see impaired hand-eye coordination.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
38. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 21, 2013, 07:58 PHJF

I don't think anyone on the planet was stupid enough to think Ryse was going to be a good game.  

28. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 20, 2013, 18:23 PHJF

FYI the Dualshock 4 I bought works just fine using x360ce.  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 20, 2013, 18:22 PHJF

Oh and I got my Dualshock 4 and a bluetooth dongle. Installed the dongle, paired the DS4, threw x360ce into a random game and was off, no problems.  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 20, 2013, 17:29 PHJF

Got that invite as well. I want to beta, not stress test. From everything I've heard I'm not wasting the bandwidth for two days of play.  

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Nov 19, 2013, 08:06 PHJF

Amazon has some PC hardware on sale today, including Sound Blaster Z for $60  

27. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 18, 2013, 18:40 PHJF

Taskeen wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 18:37:
PS4? Ha, time to buy a PS3 for the first time. Bring on the price drops baby!

A local supermarket had PS3 bundles (Uncharted, AC3, or Infamous) for $160.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
9. Re: Morning Safety Dance Nov 18, 2013, 18:37 PHJF

I was in the back of a car on Saturday and some older woman ran a red, hit the guy turning into her lane, jumped the curbed median, hit the car next to ours, then hit our car.

And I don't see how speeding is any different. What good is any traffic law if drivers can cherry pick the ones they think apply to themselves. For the record, I drive through both a red light and a speed camera on a regular basis while commuting.

24. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 18, 2013, 17:13 PHJF

Really wish there was backwards compatibility though. I think I'll get an extra long cable to play some PS3 games with the DS4 whenever I run out of stuff.

I don't understand how the DS4 doesn't work on a PS3. PS3 is bluetooth 2. PS4 is bluetooth 2.

News Comments > Fallout 4 TMed
9. Re: Fallout 4 TMed Nov 17, 2013, 14:34 PHJF

SKYRIM WITH GUNS  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
12. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 16, 2013, 10:58 PHJF

OK I'm feeling frisky so I'm taking the plunge. Ordered this stuff just now, I'll report once I get it working (or fail to) with my PC games.

Kinivo BTD-400 Bluetooth 4.0 USB adapter - For Windows 8 / Windows 7 / Vista

PlayStation 4 Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller

Mediabridge Hi-Speed USB 2.0 - (6 Feet) - A-Male to Micro-B Cable

8721 Comments. 437 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo