Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for PHJF

Real Name PHJF   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PHJF
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description VE3D Refugee
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 29, 2003, 02:16
Total Comments 9222 (Guru)
User ID 17251

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2015, 13:29 PHJF

Potatoes kept sitting on the counter keep for a significantly long time, and have the benefit of being unable to spoil surreptitiously. Each passing day left uneaten only strengthens their resolve. A point comes where one cannot so much as pass by without sensing a prickling upon the nape, the very gaze of the starchy orbs a palpable and increasingly disconcerting force not to be ignored except at one's peril. The very air seems tinged and dulled as it by the wraiths of a thousand long-dead Irishmen, waiting eternal for the potato that never was, judging always judging you as you ignore the veritable bounty of potatoes upon your counter top. The choice is simple: eat your potatoes, or be driven mad by unbearable guilt.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Trove Attracts 1M Users
14. Re: Trove Attracts 1M Users Aug 19, 2015, 11:45 PHJF

Well that's what the ipad is for, vapid games for vapid consumers. You can't do much else on a device with such a pathetic input requirement.

Get your kids playing games on a dedicated device.

Oh, and Trove is terrible. It's a grind in which somebody forgot to put a game, like the innumerable MMORPGs to come out of Asian markets.

News Comments > Duke Nukem Lawsuits Settled
9. Re: Duke Nukem Lawsuits Settled Aug 19, 2015, 10:19 PHJF

You realize nobody actually said that and it is just Blue making a joke?  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 18, 2015, 17:34 PHJF

LG bets the farm on OLED displays, investing over $8.5 billion.

Thank christ for that. This is the shoe that needed to drop to finally put an end to LCD. Years of back-burner R&D already have OLED nearly ready for widespread adoption, so this kick in the fiduciary pants should really get the ball rolling.

News Comments > Morning Patches
7. Re: Morning Patches Aug 18, 2015, 16:34 PHJF

The whole point of EA (besides FREE MONEY!1111 to developers) is supposed to be that players have input and supply positive feedback in developing a game... which is what betas are for. Starbound was released to EA way before a core, mature game was anywhere close to materialization, which is a license for developers to dick around and never make any progress while completely ignoring the community at large.

Plus there's the enormous problem of SHIT feedback corrupting the entire system. Everybody with $15 having an equal voice sounds great and fuzzy and oh so democratic, right up until you realize how many people are fucking idiots and should absolutely not be allowed to comment on the state of a game's development. Attempting to supply constructive criticism or legitimate suggestions in a place like the Starbound forum will inevitably draw endless ire from dazzled fanboys or simply result in drowning midst a sea of posts begging the immediate release of more pets and sitting animations.

News Comments > (Old) Leaked DOOM Footage
13. Re: (Old) Leaked DOOM Footage Aug 18, 2015, 13:59 PHJF

Yeah, shooters are oft renowned for their "strong narratives".  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 18, 2015, 12:52 PHJF

I want to see pictures of grown men walking about donning dainty parasols to ward off the sun.  

News Comments > Morning Patches
2. Re: Morning Patches Aug 18, 2015, 12:49 PHJF

Starbound is the poster child for early access gone wrong. Terraria: Otherworld (which is still set to come out this year, no doubt miraculously well ahead of Starbound 1.0) developer said, and I quote, "We will absolutely not be participating in an Early Access program."

Thank god for that.

News Comments > (Old) Leaked DOOM Footage
7. Re: (Old) Leaked DOOM Footage Aug 18, 2015, 12:44 PHJF

I imagine a team of men worked feverishly on assembling this, lovingly took it to Carmack at some point, who watched it with a look of utter disdain on his face. The men then backed slowly away from Carmack (whose face wore a frown set in stone), out of the room, and never spoke of this abortion of a teaser again.

At least that's what would have happened if he were still at id... the number of things wrong with associating *any* aspect of what I just saw with the Doom name brings tears to my eyes. I wish this had stayed buried.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Mod Tool Backlash
45. Re: The Witcher 3 Mod Tool Backlash Aug 17, 2015, 18:27 PHJF

Better Combat is not a mod, it's a bunch of glorified .ini tweaks.  

23. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2015, 15:03 PHJF

It's a shame I won't be around to find out either way.

And it's a shame Isaac Newton didn't have a TI-85, but there's no sense being upset about it. This is the byproduct of being raised in a society that celebrates individualism speaking. Individuals are limited in what they can accomplish and eventually die. Subscribing to a system of minds working toward a common goal is the way to live a happy, meaningful life. What is individual accomplishment if it doesn't advance or enrich the lives of others? Forward thinking means accepting and moving beyond one's mortality. I'm going to die, you're going to die, we're all going to die, but as Russel Crowe once said, what we do in life echoes in eternity. A humble barista (is there such a thing?) dishing out warm sustenance to those who crave it may rest easy knowing he has, in his own small way, had a positive effect on those he serves.

Admittedly to a peasant farmer in the middle ages such a concept would be of little use, but we exist in the internet age. Never before in history have members of the human race been so fundamentally connected to one another, the world over. We are each of us part of a great and vast machine, free to grease the wheels or grind the gears. Know that every little thing you take for granted, every luxury, is the product of sweat the world over and the gift of minds long since gone back to the dirt. Be thankful for what you have and try to give something back, because to do otherwise would be to waste what little and precious life you have. You said it yourself; life, at least in this part of the galaxy, is exceedingly scarce. Best not squander it.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2015, 13:58 PHJF

Yeah it's kind of depressing how far we have to go.

That's where you're wrong. There are plenty of people still devoted to to the frontier mentality, and there always will be. Provided we don't destroy ourselves, our ascent into the stars is inevitable. Maybe not in your lifetime, maybe not in the next hundred lifetimes, but eventually, with enough plugging away at the hard science of it, humanity will get there. On the bright side, extraterrestrial colonization is a real near-future possibility.

I think as time goes on and humanity continues to homogenize, efforts will accelerate greatly and begin in earnest. Mankind has already come an incredibly long way in an incredibly short span of time, geologically speaking.

40. Re: The Witcher 3 Mod Tool Backlash Aug 17, 2015, 13:41 PHJF

Team Fortress? Red Orchestra? Day of Defeat? Desert Combat? I could go on. I really miss the heyday of FPS modding. Half-Life alone had a lifetime of enjoyable and often ludicrous mods that did far more than simply enhance. To my knowledge Natural Selection was the first FPS/RTS hybrid.

It's pretty clear that established developers and publishers are no longer (if they ever even were) interested in pushing the video game envelope. I can't blame them with the ever-rising cost of development, which has likewise had a seriously negative effect on indie development (unless you're a devoted fan of 2D platformers or voxels). Mod tools and quality, comprehensive engine licensing represent the only real hope for truly innovative (and still modern) game design.

Witcher 3 was a great game, no doubt, but it wasn't without its share of faults, some of which were deeply rooted (like the aforementioned combat). The difference between a game like Skyrim and everything else is that the community was able to take the base game and shore it up enough to stand up to years of replays. On top of that, active modding routinely creates new sales. God knows ARMA would have sold a pitiful fraction of its numbers if DayZ hadn't come around.

I know releasing mod tools costs money, and mod tools may or may not bear fruit, but open world games like Witcher 3 benefit the most from modding, and any chance at evolutionary game design is likely to come from the community. They have to have tools to work with, though.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2015, 13:09 PHJF

Of course there is other life in the universe. The universe is too big for their not to be. But until a) our tech evolves to the point where we can realistically detect and/or communicate with it or b) an advanced enough life form deigns to contact us, there's not much of anything we can do about it. We have quite a ways to go with our own space faring initiatives (or lack thereof) before we should be very concerned about extrasolar goings on.  

News Comments > Terraria for OS X and Linux
2. Re: Terraria for OS X and Linux Aug 17, 2015, 12:53 PHJF

I would murder at least half a dozen people to be playing Terraria Otherworld right now...  

10. Re: The Witcher 3 Mod Tool Backlash Aug 16, 2015, 16:19 PHJF

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/action/witcher-3-wild-hunt/  

21. Re: Double burrito Aug 16, 2015, 14:06 PHJF

You DO get more out of a bowl, though; I figured that out years ago. I'll have to try the half/half meat thing.  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 15, 2015, 14:36 PHJF

RoboNerd wrote on Aug 15, 2015, 11:58:
Speaking of the odor of burnt bread being pleasant...my wife routinely bakes bread, and there is something being released during the baking process that I find unpleasant. I always thought bread baking was great, but there is something going on with the current formula, or me. that makes it disagreeable to the point of near nausea. She has been leaving out certain ingredients, which hasn't helped. And we thought it might be the nonstick coated pans, but this week she tried an aluminum angel food cake pan, still no relief. I try to run the exhaust hood on low during the baking to minimize my exposure.

It remains a mystery... Puke

Do you eat bread? I've heard of celiac sufferers being offended by even the smell of gluten-containing products. Other medical issues like zinc deficiency can adversely affect one's faculties for taste and smell. I doubt there's anything wrong with the bread itself; the only ingredient in your average bread that would be susceptible to going foul is the yeast.

I guess you could have her try sourcing her yeast differently. If that doesn't work, you should see a doctor.

News Comments > Civilization: Beyond Earth Free Weekend
16. Re: Civilization: Beyond Earth Free Weekend Aug 14, 2015, 11:07 PHJF

jdreyer wrote on Aug 14, 2015, 05:45:
Wow, no positive comments at all. Was hoping for something similar to Alpha Centauri, sounds like they missed the boat completely.

The problem was they added almost nothing to Civ V to actually distinguish Beyond Earth as a standalone title. The only major gameplay element added was a Satellite Layer, an above-ground zone solely for a handful of specialized satellite units. That's it. The rest of the game plays out like any round of Civ V, which makes fuckall sense.

News Comments > Dying Light: The Following Trailer
15. Re: Dying Light: The Following Trailer Aug 14, 2015, 11:00 PHJF

A parkour system doesn't really flourish there, does it?

You know what Dying Light is without climbing and jumping about on stuff? Dead Island. And, this may shock you, it had vehicles!

If you watched the video you may also have noticed there is zero melee combat shown. I'm sure everyone remembering Dying Light is recalling how AWESOME the firearms combat is.

9222 Comments. 462 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo