Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for PHJF

Real Name PHJF   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PHJF
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description VE3D Refugee
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 29, 2003, 02:16
Total Comments 8640 (Guru)
User ID 17251

User comment history
< Newer [ 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 15, 2012, 12:38 PHJF

As you pointed out the other day, the length of time you've been on the web is downright impressive.

Right, it's time for a Blue's IPO! That's always good for businesses, right?!

Steam + PSN: PHJF
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 15, 2012, 12:37 PHJF

You people are too old. My big Christmas was playing Super Mario Bros., Duck Hunt, and Rampage on our brand-spankin-new NES. Well, not so much playing as watching my (older) brother and sister play.

Fast forward X years to the Christmas of the N64, whereupon our fantastic new console was unusable on my parents' ancient wood-paneled Zenith for lack of an RCA adapter. What a crushing day that was.

40. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2012, 12:23 PHJF

The real reason is that Alien overall was a far better movie and thus worth closing a blind eye to its own logical fallacies.

Right, so all these discussions of Prometheus' lore and whatnot are moot. Setting all that aside, it was a totally forgettable movie. I didn't scream for my money back when it was over, but I didn't (and still don't) have any desire to watch it again.

And to those who would argue, "well you're in here discussing it so obviously it made an impression," well, I wouldn't be discussing it if it weren't brought up, and I'll be the first to say I had very high hopes going into the theater.

36. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2012, 12:03 PHJF

Hell, you don't have to look past 'Alien' to find a similar behavior - Dallas knowingly broke quarantine not even knowing if they could save Cane and risked killing everyone in the process (which actually fucking happened!!)

Once again a ship full of space miners != a ship full of supposedly genius-level scientists.

And while you brought up the subject of comparisons to Alien...

Alien was a small horror movie which happened to be set in space. It wasn't a science fiction epic. For all its other trappings, Prometheus was basically a "space slasher" (like the second half of Sunshine), and it wasn't very good at that, either. Other than the med bay scene, none of the action was memorable, and the med bay scene didn't hold a candle to the original chest burster.

This comment was edited on Oct 14, 2012, 12:18.

33. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2012, 11:23 PHJF

Now you've got a bunch of people on an alien planet with potential alien lifeforms, bacteria, etc, and someone who claims to be a scientist thinks it's perfectly fine to take off his helmet simply because the atmosphere mixture is acceptable?

To be fair, American Indians didn't have interstellar starships, did they? If they have an automated medical bay which can perform Caesarean sections with fricken lasers they are probably equipped to handle alien microbes, viruses, and bacteria. I just don't think any of them were expecting to stumble into a cache of biological weapons.

30. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2012, 09:42 PHJF

Why the fuck would anyone rag on Last Crusade? Sean Connery is amazing. Even for mentioning Crusade and Crystal in the same post I should hunt down and murder you.  

News Comments > HAWKEN Closed Beta in Two Weeks
13. Re: HAWKEN Closed Beta in Two Weeks Oct 14, 2012, 09:38 PHJF

It isn't just deathmatch, they just started adding a typical point control mode. Only problem is it's limited to one (bad) map that isn't even finished yet (it isn't even textured).

In the games I played the biggest problem was a total lack of team communication. The game has voice but nobody was using it. Teamplay is pretty forced even in TDM because if it's even one against two the lone guy gets hammered.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2012, 17:17 PHJF

"It's not the Alien movie I wanted."

No it's pretty awful regardless. And if we aren't supposed to compare it to Alien then they SHOULDN'T HAVE SOLD IT AS ALIEN. The entire Prometheus marketing campaign amounted to every soul involved playing cutesy-coy about its relation to Alien.

News Comments > 0x10c Interview; Test Footage
20. Re: 0x10c Interview; Test Footage Oct 13, 2012, 09:09 PHJF

At least Minecraft managed to look charming... this just looks flat-out dull.

It's not like it's super challenging to make the cosmos look pleasing. Shiny stars, big ol nebulae, that sort of thing.

22. Re: Random comment Oct 12, 2012, 23:39 PHJF

Maybe I overlooked it, what do you think makes it great?

Cinematography, score, and the way it handled violence. After the fantastic opening the movie was a massive slow burn. Bryan Cranston and Albert Brooks were great, especially the final scene between them.

It was also extremely nice not having in-your-face exposition... they didn't even bother telling us Gosling's name, he was just "the driver". The movie was a ride, not a story, just like the name implied.

News Comments > Op Ed
25. Re: Op Ed Oct 12, 2012, 17:49 PHJF

And here's another example of a DLC fuckup. I'm playing Borderlands 2. I didn't preorder, because I'm not a dolt. Therefore I don't have the mechromancer (nevermind the soldier, carbon copied from borderlands 1, should have been DLC, and the mechro in the game to begin with).

Suddenly I'm finding mechromancer items in my game. So now instead of a 25% chance to find a class artifact I can actually use, I now have a 20% chance and then a 20% extra chance to find an item completely fucking useless to me. Thanks a fucking lot, Gearbox.

News Comments > Diablo III Monster Power Detailed
23. Re: Diablo III Monster Power Detailed Oct 12, 2012, 17:41 PHJF

With great monster power comes great monster responsibility.  

News Comments > Op Ed
18. Re: Op Ed Oct 12, 2012, 16:28 PHJF

Did you do this with shareware discs in the 90s?
Did you do this with Quake, which was distributed on a CD for ~$3 as a shareware version with the full version on the disc, able to be unlocked for $40 if you called a phone number?

We weren't paying $60 for shareware discs. With the general lack of content current games are shipping with (for whatever reason), I consistently feel like I'm being asked to pay more for less. DLC of any kind is usually no more than salt in my wounds.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 12, 2012, 16:22 PHJF

Julio wrote on Oct 12, 2012, 16:20:
Onions belong in everything!

Onions. God put 'em here for us to eat. And he chocked 'em full of folic acid and magnesium. And that's real good for your colon. But I like 'em cuz they taste good, like America used to.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 12, 2012, 16:19 PHJF

Why would you WANT beans in chili? It's filler. It adds nothing beyond increasing chili yield/keeping production cost down. If you absolutely have to have a massive amount of cheap chili, sure, use beans.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
2. Re: Game Reviews Oct 12, 2012, 12:42 PHJF

SPOILER ALERT  

19. Re: Random comment Oct 12, 2012, 08:28 PHJF

Ok, I tried searching for the topic, but couldn't find it. Whoever it was that thought "Drive" was a good movie -- you are off my list as a movie appraiser. Although it does get points for not having a Hollywood ending.

Drive is a good movie. You're off my list of qualified movie viewers.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 11, 2012, 13:47 PHJF

Wow. Just wow.  

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Open Beta Next Week
6. Re: MechWarrior Online Open Beta Next Week Oct 10, 2012, 21:42 PHJF

Doesn't get more arcade-like than Hawken.  

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Open Beta Next Week
3. Re: MechWarrior Online Open Beta Next Week Oct 10, 2012, 21:17 PHJF

What's better, this or MWLL?  

8640 Comments. 432 pages. Viewing page 54.
< Newer [ 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo