Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for PHJF

Real Name PHJF   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PHJF
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description VE3D Refugee
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 29, 2003, 02:16
Total Comments 8925 (Guru)
User ID 17251

User comment history
< Newer [ 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ] Older >

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Sacred 2 Gold Dec 22, 2012, 14:45 PHJF

DRM-laced, bug-ridden mess of a 20GB game. It would have taken considerable patching to make it proper.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Maxis: That's Rain on Your Leg
24. Re: Maxis: That's Rain on Your Leg Dec 22, 2012, 13:52 PHJF

ASeven wrote on Dec 22, 2012, 13:34:
SirKnight wrote on Dec 22, 2012, 13:18:
SimCity 4 Deluxe edition is $5 on steam right now. Worth it?

IMO best SimCity title ever. Even better with mods.

Except large cities run like fuckin shit. Supposedly there was some fanpatch to fix this? And Rush Hour was pretty bad.

17. Re: Maxis: That's Rain on Your Leg Dec 22, 2012, 13:29 PHJF

I'm not worried about MY connection. EA is the last fucking company on the PLANET to get the benefit of the doubt. I'm fairly confident Valve isn't going to fuck with me when I buy a Steamworks game, which is why Steamworks is the only online DRM scheme I subscribe to.  

11. Re: Maxis: That's Rain on Your Leg Dec 22, 2012, 12:59 PHJF

the game will sell well and soon after it's release the whole thing will be forgotten.

Who do you think is going to buy it? This isn't The Sims crowd who lap up shit. SimCity fans are older, hardcore fucks like me who have no trouble playing SC2K even now (though I prefer 3K because the awful music in 2K just grates on me).

This is the same bullshit as day one DLC: everyone hates the idea of it but publishers keep doing it because it sells really well.

You don't know that. DLC doesn't have to sell well at all to break even. Obviously the amount of work involved in a full-fledged product far outweighs the trivial amount required for DLC, hence its ubiquity.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
3. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Dec 22, 2012, 12:43 PHJF

How are landline broadband caps such a red flag when the entire cellphone industry is based around data caps? Is wireless data really so much more precious than wired?  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
38. Re: Tech Question of the Night Dec 22, 2012, 10:51 PHJF

Even with 4 gigs of ram something about the 32bit doesn't like to use all of it and was causing issues with Skyrim and Rage.

It's 4GB of total memory. Because of memory mapped I/O, a large chunk of your 4GB is going to be gobbled up by VRAM.

News Comments > On Sale
13. Re: On Sale Dec 22, 2012, 10:44 PHJF

Why isn't the Mechwarrior franchise on Steam or GOG? I can't find it anywhere (although I DL'd MW4: Mercenaries for free)

Probably has something to do with licensing. There is a real quagmire surrounding BattleTech.

22. Re: just so you know Dec 21, 2012, 13:46 PHJF

Man, somebody should have warned me of the pitfalls in losing a ton of weight. Virtually everything I own has become comically oversized. Well, at least my shoes still fit.  

News Comments > Jagged Alliance Online Updated
2. Re: Jagged Alliance Online Updated Dec 21, 2012, 11:32 PHJF

A review from ~3 months ago:

Unfortunately, Jagged Alliance Online suffers from the inevitable hidden costs of the free-to-play model, which seem particularly intrusive here. It starts early, such as when you need to buy an additional mercenary to help you out right after the tutorial mission, leaving you with the option of buying one limited to 24 real-time hours or a permanent one with outrageously priced premium currency. It seems fine at first, but it soon becomes apparent that the gold cost of mercenaries far outstrips the pace at which you earn gold if you’re playing casually, so eventually you’ll have to spend cash. Then there’s the fuel (which acts as “energy” somewhat) that replenishes over time, but not at a rate that’s fast enough to balance with everything you need it for. Inevitably, you’ll run out, forcing you to run to the cash shop again. And all this before you’ve even tried to expand your inventory.

News Comments > Steam Holiday Sale
47. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 20, 2012, 17:50 PHJF

So I guess BL2 DLC isn't part of the "Borderlands Franchise".  

61. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2012, 13:03 PHJF

Bakker's stuff is full of geo-political claptrap and dumb shit like demon rape though.

WHERE DO I SIGN UP

News Comments > God Mode Announced
4. Re: God Mode Announced Dec 20, 2012, 13:00 PHJF

iddqd  

50. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2012, 00:28 PHJF

Cheers for the recommendations, got a lot of new material to read!  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 19, 2012, 15:14 PHJF

Don't make me laugh, that Nintendo-style pinball was never good for more than a minor distraction. Pro Pinball completely trounced it.  

21. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2012, 11:52 PHJF

In other news, Don't Starve is really fun (being the Terraria vet I am) and if the rate of new content remains as steady as it has been recently, it's going to be a kickass final product in March. There really isn't a ton of content in it right now but what is there is great fun wrapped in fantastic production quality. The dev is really proactive and communicative.

And I'm looking for novels to read. I just finished The Passage, which was OK at best (being a sort of Stephen King pop novel but without his level of quality). I also just read Rainbows End and A Fire Upon the Deep. Can anyone comment on the quality of the followup novel(s) to AFUtD? I'm going to read Point Counter Point right now but I like to keep scifi books in the rotation.

News Comments > Need for Speed Most Wanted Ultimate Speed Pack
2. Re: Need for Speed Most Wanted Ultimate Speed Pack Dec 19, 2012, 11:46 PHJF

Yeah but from what I've seen at least it looks pretty amazing on the high end. You wouldn't think a racing game, and an arcade-style one at that, would be setting the graphics bar. I guess that's a statement about the state (yes I just said that) of modern PC gaming.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - RAGE: The Scorchers
13. Re: Ships Ahoy - RAGE: The Scorchers Dec 18, 2012, 15:36 PHJF

The Scorchers?

I'm siding with the Tunnel Snakes; they rule!

15. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 18, 2012, 15:34 PHJF

I do own like 30 PS3 games but they are almost all one-and-done affairs. Then again I have basically no friends with whom to play, so what can you do... and I'm pretty sure I got all of two console-exclusive games this year (Dragon's Dogma and Catherine). This cycle is dead, man... it would be pretty silly to get on board this late in the game unless you really really really need a(n expensive) BRD player.  

News Comments > Medal of Honor Warfighter: Zero Dark Thirty Map Pack
10. Re: Medal of Honor Warfighter: Zero Dark Thirty Map Pack Dec 18, 2012, 15:25 PHJF

The stupidest fucking tie in in the history of mankind.  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2012, 13:08 PHJF

OK, I'll "bite" on Don't Starve. Friend of mine could use an xmas gift on Steam, anyways.  

8925 Comments. 447 pages. Viewing page 52.
< Newer [ 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo